Open Thread #489

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Long Long Long time ago (*Madonna singing in my head*)… I remember watching this animation series – Taro the dragon boy. If anyone here is familiar with the series , would they also happen to know where can I find the episodes. Google search hasn’t been helpful. Also where to watch grandpa over flowers.
Speaking of good old episodes, if 2016 was year of dramas for me then 2017 is turning out to be the year of variety. Finally got into “Ask me anything” and it is so so funny, 1N2D season 1 … I didn’t think any cast lineup could surpass season 3 but oooh I love season 1. New journey to the west continues to be my crack.
I have this queer observation. Just throwing it out there to see if its just me or others find it too. Don’t these people have very very similar face structure
1. Lee Je Hoon (Tomorrow With You, Signal) – Hani (kpop idol, crime scene) : could pass off for twins
2. Sana(Twice)-Suzy(Miss A)
3. Song joon ki – Japanese lead in LDK (Japanese movie)
4. Song Mino (Winner) – G Dragon ( some kpop group don’t remember)
Just Curious, is it normal in korea for people to marry so so late in life.. even the women.. everyone seems to be marrying post 36/37and it appears to be very normal for girls in early twenty’s to date men approaching or inn 40s and biological clock concept seems to be non existant, with smooth deliveries happening left right center. Interesting.

well maybe when average life expectancy is growing all the time, then also all other "deadlines" can move up and it is ok? maybe we are already biologically altering for the life expectancy of 150 years in near future?

I hope so.. but i see so many women facing issues even at 31-32.. and then i see majority trend in korea.. and it intrigues me.. very interesting

Birth rate in Korea is really low, and their population growth is in the negative. I'm sure this late marriage has something to do with the problem too.

Well, I do think that women seem to be quite career minded in korea. Most are capable and choose their career over love. I guess that sort of explains why many marry late. It's not only in korea actually. I live in malaysia and the common age to get married is 30-45. My parents got married in their 40s, and that was many years back. Not only Koreans actually, I've noticed many other countries have similar cultures too. In fact I was rather surprised when I knew that many Caucasians marry in their early 20s.

Ayame looks like Song Joon-Ki? Really!!?

I have shown several Korean actors pics to my sister and she put all of them into - cute, chocolatey boys zone. In her views, they manly enough.

EZ ~

I'm currently watching Age of Youth.

Ryu Hwa-young looks like a voluptuous Park Shin-hye

Also, in one of the episodes of 1N2D S1 they went to a tourist place ( and ended up inviting foreigners for a game.. a man from germany, an artist from Japan, group of 3 ladies vacationing- spanish and 2 americans .. one was called alice..

and i instantly wondered if those women would be here on dramabeans.. or if such tourists realize they have appeared on a famous drama/show and if that acts as a catalyst to getting into kdrama..

Who knows, if someone here has actually appeared on something

hello EZ!!

I think this link will help you with Taro the Dragon Boy.

I haven't downloaded it yet, so I'm not sure it's legit, but hopefully it is!

Have a nice day!!!!

I guess slow internet not able to open it..
Any idea if its subbed? If not aware of subbed eps..

A big big big thnks for this

G Dragon is Big Bang ? Haha I guess it's too old for some people

No idea.. zero interest in kpop

G Dragon is Big Bang ? Haha I guess it's too old for some people to remember

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

@EZ G Dragon is from Big Bang. I guess it's kind of too old for most people to remember. Lol I guess I sound old but I'm not not even haha!

Lol no way gd has got to be the most well known idol, even amongst new fans.

hi

I have twisted my leg so that gave me the excuse to sit at home mostly and watch dramas 3 days but I ended up watching japanese dramas all with sad endings and now I am a bit confused as to why they love sad endings so much.

and then I watched Border in the middle of the night. Yeah. I am insane. What was I thinking? I was trying to think the ghosts are cute, but who am I kidding?
and then the Pandora movie must still be affecting me, cause I dreamt of radioactive clouds moving over town and they were actually green? I looked out the window right away in the morning to see if there are any green clouds out there.

I wonder, have dramas given you any irrational fears or phobias?

but maybe the bad feelings didnt just come from the dramas, but a recent event that happened. A friend and classmate of my mothers´ had had depression - nobody knew, I mean we met her in theater just last year and she seemed ok, my mom chatted with her and they were discussing their normal accountant stuff, I dunno, I got bored and didnt listen, it is all numbers anyway.
well, she had depression, cause her daughter has multiple sclerosis. She had started taking some unknown medication.... and died from accumulative poisoning! and now my mom said that her friends´ daughter had received a call... from criminal police! it had been an illegal medical test! She was given the pills directly by the phychiatrist, with no prescription, and turns out they had never been tested! the doctor had never told her the name of the pills either. She became a human test rabbit. and it killed her in less than 3 months.

gosh. I am mad and just blown away that things like this can happen! I mean, a person looks for help and the doctor basically murders her! now mom says she doesnt even know when her friends´ funeral is going to be, cause her body is in the expertise lab. criminal police is looking into it, effin crazy thing! I sure am glad none of us are taking any medication right now. like, gosh dammit. anti-depressants are literally poison. It was a big shock to learn things like this can happen.

To counter the sad, mixed and creeped feelings from dramas and real life, I watched a jdorama Good Morning Call - thought "what am I doing, it is a youth drama, it will be all fluff, not for me!" But I was quite surprised cause it felt very genuine and sincere. Yes, it is way typical, cohabitation, cheery heroine and manga like and has a tsundere hero BUT. What impressed me was the heroine always expressing when she didnt like being approached by guys, called them out when they did something without her permission. way to go! her such scenes would make a great video tutorial "How to say no to unwanted attention". Against odds, the drama treated the story with reason. I also really liked the character of Issei, he somehow reminded me of every Ji Soos´ character ever, having this secret crush but never becoming pushy, he always stayed respectful and supportive.

sorry about the excess of exclamation marks in the text, but I am so pissed at that quack doctor.

I finished Good Morning Call this week too! I think a Season 2 is confirmed and will be released by this year!

redfox -

Sorry to hear that you twisted your leg. Hope you feel better soon!

I usually heal fast and luckily it is not my left foot, which I have torn 4 times in the past. it is my right, and the right foot is stronger for some reason from even before I tore my left foot

Whoa. Do be careful? And get better soon :)

@redfox Left foot torn 4 times?! Are you one of those hyperactive child?? Anyways take care and get well soon ?

hehe yeah, I am the kind who just about collects injuries anywhere. I have bumped, twisted and scraped every imaginable part, cause I am in a constant rush and have to climb and run in places I shouldnt LOL.

I like J drama called Tokyo Tarareba Musume. The story is about three thirty years old single women who have some issues with their love and work lives. I like all actresses( Yoshitaka Yuriko, Eikura Nana and Oshima Yuko) along with two actors( Sakaguchi Kentaro who looks somewhat similar to Seo Kan Joon but SK's acting here is quite good. He is good at portraying a blunt yet vulnerable young man: and Suzuki Ryohei who can portray a good hearted honest man really well)
Sakaguchi called the three girls Tara-reba( meaning what if in Japanese) musume( girls)( thus the title) because their conversation often filled with ' what if' .Since then there are two mascot figures of white tara( cod roe) and red Reba( liver) pop in Rinko( main )'s imaginative world and they sometimes criticize and cheer for her. I like Japanese drama often use crazy characters such as this.

Seriously Japan has become a country filled with mascot figures. I went to see the Girl's Day even in a famous shrine in Kyoto today. Some selected guests placed figurines on the stream. There are a couple of mascot figures in Kimono along with kindergarteners, priests and Maiko( pre-geisha)as their guests. A mascot almost fell into the stream because his mascot head is too heavy! but people had to keep solemn faces! Whole event was somewhat bizarre because of those mascots figures.

I think that Oshima Yuko is doing good here, if not great. Yes, she was a singer from AKB48 and so is Maeda. She looks rather ordinary yet mature girl in her appearance in this drama( I guess with her hair always neatly tied up and wear glasses do make her look more ordinary? Japanese woman??).

Unlike K drama where royals or chaobels are often featured, J drama often depict relatively ordinary people ie salaried men(and women), average housewives. Though K drama setting can be glamorous, I find those dramas are hard to connect with. I find this drama is quite good because it is relatable and the women's relationship is great. I love the scene that Rinko was lost for what to do with her love life once a candidate for her BF appeared cause it had been a long time since she had BF. It may sound ridiculous but those women do exist in Japan.

Miura Haruma is somewhat inconsistent in my opinion. He is great when he's good - Samurai High School, Boku no Ita Japan - but occasionally falls short, such as in the noona romance he was in - Cinderella? Princess?
Maybe he just works better with some directors?

Overall though, I'd consider myself a fan. ^^

Haruma Miura was amazing in The Hours of My Life though I cried a bucket. I have seen him in several other dramas, but I would say this is his best performance no doubt helped by the writing. Having said that, you couldn't pay me to watch Never Let Me Go if the source material is what I think it is.

Those pills are scary to me. I've been prescribed a few anti-depressants in the past and was even given a trial pack, but I never took any. It scares me in just what side-effects are noted on the bottles! Here in the US, I *hope* they don't test meds on patients whom are unaware that they're guinea pigs, but I wouldn't put it past some unsavory people in authoritative positions. I'm sorry about your mother's friend. I hope your leg gets better quickly!

yes, when I read all the side effects some pills have my hair stands up. I once had such a bad cough that my eyes filled with blood, but the pills my former doctor prescribed had effects similar to dementia and I just couldnt. I buried the pills in a flowerbed. The flowers were none the sicker from it. my current doctor is sensible and only recommends natural remedies and pills with no strong chemicals in them.

If the flowers had dementia, how would you know ? :)

they would wander off and not remember where they grew?

They wouldn't recognize their buds?

They´d think "I never seed you before!"

They think you're always pulling their stem?

You may also look into if you are allergic or if you are missing a liver enzyme that metabolizes your medications, making them toxic in your body. I'm an allergist in the US and it sounds suspicious.

oh, no, I am not allergic at all, I just feel like I dont need it.

I appreciate your feelings about pills, especially in light of what happened to your mother's friend (which appears to be horrifying malpractice). But I must step in to say that millions of people are helped by anti-depressants, without negative side effects. I for one could not live a normal life without them and want to speak up for folks like me.
Side effects are listed on meds along with the percentages at which they occur, which are generally very small or they would not be allowed to be sold (at least in the US). No patient should ever take a non-approved (test) drug without being informed and signing papers regarding risks. Won't your friend's doctor be arrested?

In the meantime, anti-depressants are safe and proven helpful and even imperative for many people. A psychiatrist's job is to fine tune the drugs and dose for each patient. Some are prescribed loosely by non-psychiatrists, no doubt, and some of those help a lot and some don't. Depression and its affiliated diseases are real and respond positively to treatment with chemicals because they are caused by chemical imbalances just like other diseases.

oh, I know, I know.

I'm glad that anti depressants are working well for you but as someone studying psychology i would like to point out that depression from a biological point of view it is due to chemical imbalances but there are other aspects such as psychological and social factors. For people who do not wish to take them have you tried CBT? Evidence has suggested that the combination of CBT and anti depressants can be more effective than a single treatment alone.

Yes, thanks. While not the case for everyone, in my case there were many years of CBT in various modes before finally determining that I required meds as well. Probably many people may be handed drugs by their internists without any mention of talk therapy first and I believe the research that shows the treatments succeed best when paired.

In my case the combo of antidepressants and exercise is the winning combo. As soon as I start to feel the depression start to lift from the meds, I hit the road walking or running no matter how difficult at first. I've suffered clinical depression all my life off and on. It's an anxiety-depression cycle. When my anxiety gets out of control, a depression sets in and numbs me to the anxiety. So here's my formula: CBT helps tremendously to control anxiety, as do breathing exercises, yoga, mindfulness, and the occasional pill for a bad anxiety attack. I can go many years effectively on no medication. But when depression eventually sets in, as it inevitably will, off to the doc for a prescription of citalopram. About a month after starting it, I start to feel a little better and that's when I start walking to work and back, an hour each way Hard to do when youve got the accompanying fatigue and listlessness of depression but the quickest way I know to speed up recovery. After a month of doing that, I add in some extra volunteering hours, because so much of depression is about feeling life is meaningless. In my younger days without meds, my depressions could last a few years. Now I'm three months max before full recovery, and only go through it every 4 or 5 years. Hope this advice helps anyone in a similar anxiey-depression cycle. It was arrived at by me after 20 years of experimenting.

I know I am being waaaay too sensitive and paranoid about taking medications, ha. They help lots of people, yes; but I'm still suspicious, and that could be some anxiety kicking in. I also know that I easily build tolerances to medications, etc. So I always choose to medicate carefully, if at all. Paranoid? Yup. Hee!

There should be strict policies when testing out for medication so you shouldn't worry

aaand, on a remarkably related note to this discussion, here's an article from yesterday's New York Times:

sad jdramas like The Hours of My Life and Woman? Too much to take!

what´s worse, even dramas that really cheerful can still end sadly out of the blue. That´s just rain on a sunny day, you know.

Wow that is so scary. Thankfully I didn't have dramas which given me fears or phobias. (But I had fear about taking bus)

I'm shocked and sorry to hear about what happened to your mother's friend!

redfox--

That story of your mom's friend's daughter is just awful! That doctor is simply a murderer!!

Hey guys!

Something amazing just happened! I was in the school cafeteria watching Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-ju when a girl behind me said, "I've seen that drama!"

That's the first time I've met someone here who watches K-Dramas, and she said it was the same for her! So we spent, like, 20 minutes talking about dramas. It was great. She's currently watching Tomorrow With You just like me and is watching Oh Hae-young Again.

Apparently she's mostly on Soompi and has never heard of Dramabeans! I told her about the site but I don't know if she'll check it out.

Anyway, that was super exciting. Next time I see her I'll definitely discuss this weekend's Tomorrow With You episodes with her! Who knows, maybe I'll turn her into a fellow beanie!

I feel you! I usually feel as if I have made a new best friend if someone here says they watch kdramas!! :P
Btw this is completely off topic, but do you accept GIF requests??

I know! K-entertainment has grown more popular in the US but even there it is rare to find a K-drama viewer. Once when I was on the train I saw someone watching Cantabile Tomorrow and I almost flipped! Lol.

Yes, I do indeed take gif and edit requests! ?

Ooh goodies!! Can you do some from Shopping King Louis then? Or actually anything Seo In Guk related.. (apart from the the one with Jang Nara that you have on your homepage- which btw I absolutely love!!) <3

That's awesome haha! It's an instant bonding moment when I meet other watchers of kdramas out in the "real" world.

I got into dramas back in 2011 and I didn't know anyone else (personally) who watched them until 2015 when some friends from Nigeria that said they were also into them (I'm a white girl from the States btw). Now we often recommend different dramas to each other whenever we meet. Last March, I stayed at a bed and breakfast in Rome and met a girl from Mexico who also watched them. We became insta-friends.

K-dramas must be quite popular in Nigeria! I know quite a few Beanies are from there and the girl I met today said the friend who introduced her to K-dramas was from Nigeria!

Yes they are quite popular in Nigeria and of course most of the activity is online. Telenovelas were popular in the 90's I'm Nigeria and now it's Kdramas!

Mindy -

What a great story!

Aw man, that's a wonderful feeling! I'd love to have a serious drama buddy to spazz with irl. I've had some before, but I've been incredibly out of the loop for so long that I'm all alone now. Sigh... gotta get back in the ~socializing~ game. How do I do that again?

Anyways, I hope she falls in love with Dramabeans and becomes a fellow Beanie, too! That's so cool. I think DB is definitely one of the first sites I talk about when it comes to K-dramas.

I have only had 2 encounters with drama fans. One was a school group I made a tour for and at one point one of them was piggybacking the other who was a bit drunk and singing (don´t ask). and I just mumbled "That´s so kdrama!" and a girl in the group heard me and asked if I watched kdramas. She said I was the first person she had ever met who did (it was my 2nd). to top that her favorite actor is Seo In Guk. But they had too little time! She had also liked Bad Guys and Gap Dong. she herself looked very.... thrilleresque. very long black hair etc

the first one was a swedish woman who saw me giggling in the souvenir shop cause I was watching the Park Ki Woong cameo on Good Doctor and she recognized him and totally started jumping and screaming. LOL

That's nice! At my university, I have seen tons who are watching WFKB in their laptops while in the library. hehe! They've got their priorities straight, I must say. Seeing them puts a smile on my face. We are kindred spirits!

Oh. My. God. @delurker, I saw SHINee. Last night. They're indescribable.

Omg. Tell me more. I saw them when they came to Chicago last year for a fanmeet.

AREN'T THEY GREAT????

They're a joy to watch. The fellow Shawols made the experience better. Even those from other fangroups remarked that they got goosebumps upon hearing the fanchants.

SO LUCKY! I've been their fans for years and how I really wish I get the chance to meet them like you :"
Was that a concert? Where?

It's a concert tour that supports the unification of North and South Korea. Even I had no idea what it was for, I just knew SHINee would be there when I bought tickets. Five other acts were there: Psy, CNBlue, BTOB, AOA, and B.A.P. It was my first K-Pop concert since becoming a Shawol (late 2016).

SHINee performed View, talked a bit, sang 1 of 1, and then wrecked me with An Encore. Darn it, I did not expect a ballad, much less the first ballad of theirs I've ever heard. (I was commuting in a train at the time and trying my hardest to contain my tears.) They finished the set with Everybody, which was AMAZING!

haha..
Welcome!!

I remember thinking they had a seriously weird concept back in their Lucifer and Ring Ding Dong era. And then Sherlock happened, and the rest is history.
I freaking love them in variety shows, but it's quite hard to find them as a guest nowadays. Too many other newbie groups that need more exposure, I guess.

They seldom do Korean variety stuff together nowadays, and mostly Onew and Key does them. Last I saw was a rerun of Knowing Brothers. Crazy. XD

Ahh... SHINee, my old love. I saw them in concert for the first time back in... was it 2010? It was SM Town in LA at the Staples Center. It was definitely a surreal experience.

Old love, no more? O.o

Ok, so how does one represent loud sobbing and irrepressible jealousy in text emojis? :-p Sigh, I'm so happy for you, and so frustrated at SM for boycotting Europe... I've seen the pictures though; it must have been amazing. Is it weird that Bruno Mars will be in Barcelona in a few months and I couldn't be bothered, though I love his music, but I'll fly anywhere within a four-hour radius if they bring SHINee over?

Sigh, I blame Onew, and the SHINee World IV DVD... :-)

Come to think of it, why didn't you go and see them in KCon in Paris? O.o who knows, maybe this year they'd make an appearance again. Lord knows Key loves Paris.

Every single one of them is beautiful. Taemin and Jjong looked adorable. MInho, who was a host, was dashing. Onew was in his bunny persona. And Key was so freaking pretty.

Sigh. Truth be told, between the fanchants and the feels, my recollection of the event is pretty hazy. Then I spent the following daw watching fancams when I can and then tear up anew at the thought that I shared a when and where with those five men, even for a brief moment.

Sob again, that's a good question:

1) Under normal circumstances, kinda difficult to fly to Paris in the middle of the week when you have a job and it is peak season. My persistent nagging at SM and co. always requests, please make it a Saturday. And most importantly,

2) At that particular moment I was waking up from anaesthesia, so it was a bit of a stretch to try to get to Paris in time :-p (it was nothing life-threatening, but they chose a funny date to schedule the operation).

In truth, I also wasn't yet frustrated enough to want to go by myself if I had to (now I am), and I wasn't interested in any of the other acts; it did seem a bit excessive to spend a small fortune on flights and hotels on top of tickets, and excuses at work, for a handful of songs. A whole three-hour concert would be another matter altogether; for that I'd take no prisoners :-p

Sniff, bunny Onew; the five of them are so lovely and funny together, really...

So perhaps I can pick your brain, for whenever I need to make a decision (WHICH I WILL, AS DUBU IS MY WITNESS): Is it better to be close to the stage, or up in the balcony, when you are not particularly tall, to be charitable? :-p

Hmmm. I must say it depends. I originally thought the mosh pit closest to the stage is the best, but a seat on the upper level that's closest to the stage may be better. At least your vantage point would be unimpeded, and that could save you some cash on the ticket price, especially if you're going to a convention with SHINee as your only inducement. However, In the event of a full concert, I say go all out and party right in front of the stage and prepare to have your stamina tested beforehand.

Stamina, what is that? :-p That may be a problem; perhaps the adrenaline rush will keep me going for the three hours, but ajummadom is real. Then again, since it may take a while, I could also start training now. I may be Olympics level by the time it happens, sigh... :-)

Ahjummadom. Tell me about it. I swear, there was a moment during the performance (I think it was after An Encore) when I thought my knees were giving out on me. Combination of nerves, lack of sustenance (I couldn't eat anything before the concert, which is odd for someone who has an unladylike appetite), and sheer amazement at the fact that I was watching SHINee live. Oh, and oxygen deprivation, too, according to my doctor friend with whom I watched the concert. Because of all the screaming, you see. My voice is still hoarse.

Haha! Lol, I understand how some may think I'm embellishing my description. I'd have thought so, too, myself, if I weren't the one who experienced it firsthand. So from now on I'm preparing myself. I need to last for more than three hours, should they schedule an actual concert hereabouts.

Oh, I believe you; it fits exactly what I think would happen if it were me. I thought I was well beyong the age when seeing a celebrity would send me into fangirl hysterics, and that is normally the case, but these guys would be the embarrassing exception. :-)

So, chapter 2 in my delusional planning: you're right, we may have to starve for a while; I'll remember to bring energy bars :-p

AAAARGH WHEN WILL MY TURN COME SHINEE ARE LEGENDS INDEED

I hate watching a show when it still airs because I have zero patience, but because nothing is good atm, I caved in to watch Strong Woman. You guys are all right, the pilot week is so delightful. RomCOM with a hint of mystery, ddak my style!

Sometimes I wonder why is it a normal occurence that two (or more) dramas have similar theme in a year, you know like multiple personalities, cancer, and more. Do people in these TV channels go to the same shaman or something? ?
I imagine she would look like the ahjumma in OMG and sputter things like: “I see a high-rating show this year with strong female lead with a very tall male lead. She has bowl haircut and her characters' name will be in the title. Oh and no truck of dome this time!” (too soon?)

Jokes aside, I am so estatic that Park Bo Young is back on screen. She's the only person whose aegyo is actually super cute and not cringe-inducing. No wonder all of her male leads always look so smitten by her (JJS didn't look at GHJ the same way he looked at PBY, I know because I love both OMG and JI and I watched their BTS. I can also see hearts in PHS's eyes at their prescon).

She def carries the show but PHS is also showing charms. I have only watched him in Heirs so I am pleasantly surprised by his performance, he's a natural and he has good comedic timing. When he said 'so sexy' my ship officially launches. Sorry Ji Soo, you are gorgeous but you have lots more to learn. I really like him in Angry Mom and Sassy Go Go but not in Page Turner. Here as well, he's supposed to he be an oppa (or a more mature character) but he looks way too young to be a cop. The way he delivers his line also fell flat. I feel like he's only good in playing certain character and not others, a bit like his buddy NJH. Ji Soo shines when he's being angsty, but he's awkward when doing other things. It's a bit too soon but I hope he can makes his character more engaging so there's a bit of SLS threat to us as viewers.

And one thing that I don't really get, why does Bong Soon seem to be so salty with Min Hyuk? I mean he helped her in police station and he gave her a job when she really needs one, in her dream company, and it pays ridiculously well.

LOL. I laughed so hard with your imaging.
Yeah, I don't get the way Bong Soon treat with her boss. I mean, how she can angry when she just need to play with a handsome man, with PAID! SUPER high PAID!

And BENEFITS! LOL

But these are + alpha benefits, so we all know where that's going. ^^ Date the boss! Date the boss!

Those stop-motions had better be part of the benefits package. Seriously, once PHS mentioned the correct term, I laughed sooooo hard! I can't wait for more!

She's annoyed with him because his company didn't hire her when she applied for her dream job in developing games. But he wants to use her strength that she wants to hide! I'm glad it came that far, because they are the cutest bickering bunch. I've also only ever seen PHS in Heirs and he was one of the few positive things in that forgettable mess. Go Strong Woman!

yeah plus she thinks he's interested in men, her heart lies elsewhere and if you think about it objectively he is an unreasonable boss, wanting you to work around the clock and sacrifice personal time to cater (mostly) to his amusement or quirks.
It's a drama and he's gorgeous so it works, but I can get why she would be salty (and so would any other self-respecting employee)

Good morning all!

From,
A very cranky owl of distinct color

cranky is good. Cranky is best. Eat some food and wear a vest.

Purple Owl -

Good Morning to you too!

I hope the crankiness dissipates soon and that you have a great day!

Good morning to you. Though it's almost midnight here.

Still waiting for newest eps of Strong Woman. After that, I'm off to dream land. :)

Maybe you're a night owl, Owl!

Good morning! Feel better, have some raspberry chocolate! (which reminds me, I need to buy some more soon, my stash is almost depleted).

Thank you to everyone who responded. It's been a crazy week settling in.
Everyone irl has been asking me how I feel and I didn't realize until just now.

I've visited Oklahoma a couple before so it's great to see old friends and the "tinies" as I call them not so tiny.

RANT COMING ON
wish to skip? - _ - _ -

But between
▪ getting applications for the first time
▪ having my first interview ever
▪ being denied a library card due to lack of address proof
▪ taking out my extension braids
▪ signing my first lease
▪ unpacking
▪ being 100% responsible for my grocery list
▪ not watching as much TV so I could live real life
▪ really feeling the limitations of not having a license
- I am stressed. Too many firsts!

Plus, my nephew's voice is the background to every dream this week and my best friend's house isn't a 8 minute drive away. Haven't really felt homesick besides those two things.

Then, my phone is acting up and won't let me access photos, music, and more. Keeps saying to get to Settings Overlay but that does nothing.

That was fine until last night when I tried to update this week's OT note on S Note. And I couldn't get in.

I was really looking forward to being in a different time zone and early to OT. Waking at 7:40 am was cancelled when I woke up at 7:00 am with deadly cramps. That was the breaking point.

I'm questioning my EXO love and Chanyeol bias because I am not happy about the rumors of him being in one of my favorite animes Live Action. I'm fine with Next Door, the Chinese movie, and not watching Missing 9, but appearance & charisma-wise he's not what I pictured for the main guy of Your Lie in April. I'm even thinking of not hanging up my Overdose poster gasp
Can't k-ent remain my safe place? ?

- _ - _ -

Anyhow, because I was all kinds blugh this morning, I want to cheer on everyone else!

▪ The postcard the wonderful librarian had me send myself arrived. Soon, I can read new books!
▪ I'm in much less pain
▪ My room looks better
▪ I'm friends with my roommates
▪ My natural hair is cooperating - somewhat
▪ I have some binging catching to do after sleeping the day away
▪ I figured out how to email myself some things off my phone before I reset it
▪ I have hot chocolate to drink from my EXO Mama lyrics mug

And ▪ tomorrow's always another day, separate from the last

Purple Owl, the "self-addressed" postcard so you can check out free books, cute and sad at the same time! Good solution, tho, to not having anything with an address, yet. Let's hear it for the librarian!
Tomorrow IS always another day, separate from the last. New sun to shine down on your little universe.
Chanyeol's hair on 2017 Idol Athletes Competition, bushy mop. Maybe his hair isn't cooperating? I loved EXO Next Door. (fan art)
Cramps suck, glad you're in much less pain.
And.....it's tomorrow already!
just
owl

Is it just me who suddenly finds herself completely, irrevocably, nuttily in love with Park Hyung Shik? Because that boy is so darn beautiful!

He's gorgeous. I wish I had his skin!

HIS VOICE AND HIS CHARISMA?! <3 ALSO HIS HOVERBOARD! :D

I second this. I love his voice. It's kinda sexy. The very first time I fall for someone's voice, it's Taecyeon in Dream High. Fortunately, Hyung-sik is a far, far better actor than him.

Yes to all of those. Mostly the hoverboard, he cracks me up. ^^

I am not crushing, he is too much a kid in my eyes. But I am cracking my head as to what he reminds me of. like... a dragon from an anime, maybe? but which one...

:) agreed. looks too young in my eyes lol

He is why I am thankful I liked Uee so much in Marriage Contract that it led me to watch High Society and fall for Park Hyungshik. Nothing in me regrets anything. ?

I DO TOO!
Because of him, I finally watch What Happens to My Family (my sister strongly recommend it, I downloaded the 50+ eps but never watch it)
It's a totally good drama! I cried a lot although I didn't watch all of it (fast forwarding some scenes). And Park Hyung Shik is a adorable childish still very handsome there.

Oh boy, Park Hyung-sik. Heeere I go again. ❤Honestly that boy is a natural. I even watched some of his earliest works and although he was a little green, he never appeared awkward. Now, I just love how comfortable he is with his own skin and it really shows with his acting.

Also I'm kind of obsessed with his pointy left ear. My gorgeous, ethereal elfin prince. ?

YASS, TO THE GORGEOUS ETHEREAL ELFIN PRINCE! SPOT ON, my friend!

I discovered him in Hwarang and stayed to watch him only. Don't get me wrong, I do love the others in that series, but PHS won me over as my current favorite. So pretty and talented, I didn't stand a chance! I keep watching Ghost of Wind & Phoenix MVs from ZE:A.

He's almost too pretty for me. Kind of unnaturally pretty and like he's wearing a mask? At the same time, I don't look at his face and think he got a lot of plastic surgery or anything. I think it's his crazy smooth skin.

He is very charming though and I'm waiting for it to come into full effect once the leads in Stong Woman start falling for each other. He and Ji Chang Wook have the best "I'm so in love" expressions that make my heart jump. I actually he takes second place to JCW in that aspect.

TGIF!

Having finished watching GOBLIN a few weeks ago, I'm wondering now if I'm going to see an influx of South Korean tourists in Quebec this summer.

Most likely :):):)

I'm not from South Korea, but planning to go to Montreal this fall for my birthday in no small part because of Goblin! We've always wanted to go, but Goblin solidified this.

@Ally

Montreal is my hometown and fall is the best time of year to visit ???

I'll have to somehow get your info if we make it there! I'm sure you could give lots of ideas of things to do!

I've seen a few Insta posts of Koreans visiting the city and took pictures in front of the iconic locations in Goblin, so I'm sure they'll be more foreigners there when the weather's warmer, to get the full Goblin effect! Although there are some juxtaposition photos out there and it looks hella cool. (See: http://chaoemoi.tumblr.com/post/157363234917) Quebec's definitely on my list of places to visit, too.

Late September-early October is the best time to visit!

Ahhh~ noted. :) Thanks for the the tip, MoonInPisces!

Wow!!! Those pics are amazing! Now, I'm totally doing this, but with my husband as Kim Shin and me as Eun Tak when we go there.

Omg, sounds like a plan! Hahaha, do it! Do it! And then show us. :) I can't wait to visit all the places ShinTak went to in Quebec! Woo~

Please let us know if you do!

Anyong all?

I've been here for 6years, never check demographic here . I wonder how many Indonesians here? Women at 20s & 30s? Anyone stay in Sgpore as well? Since DB had their fun-meeting at LA, we shud do this too shall we? I'll be at Jkt ard 20-25 March, anyone want to make this real?
The urge for this : I don't have kdrama-sassaeng-friends, it bottles up i want to meet us, we can screamm jumpp cried laughed or just sit & sip like our kdrama heroine .

Dramas that makes me crazy I need some1 to talk to :
Jealousy Incarnate
Ughh No ughh yeah, can I have chef with 2ladies & Pyo na ri with 2guys & Ppal Gang with 2guys & Hye Won with our DeokGebi?

Jang Ok Jung Live by love (yeah I watched this for the 4th frickin times bcs someone asked DB abt the pool water hot kissing by Yoo Ah In damn it),

I laughed at RM 338 & 340
Gag Concert-Sudden Appearance

and..my Goong Yo fever hasn't went down for 4weeks, how?

And..where is Jung Yong Hwa if anyone knew? i super miss him, in any just any, dramas ever? Even variety show.

Hey! Jung Yong-hwa is supposed to appear on jtbc (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) pre-produced drama The Package. Don't know when it'll air, though...

It's The Package. I think there're some problem in production process, some news said that Lee Yeon Hee finish her fliming but jTBC push this drama out.

I haven't heard anything about this drama ever since the casts were confirmed. If I am not mistaken, they will shoot in France. (or maybe finished shooting already?)

Yup, it was supposed to be filmed in France.. I follow JYH on Instagram but I don't remember him posting much about the drama. Although he did post a lot about Cook up a Storm, a Hong Kong-Chinese movie he's in.

Maybe it is right, something is wrong about the production.

The water hot kissing in Jang Ok Jung was so intense and hot. Definitely one of my fav kissing. I have a thing for kissing scenes in the rain, water or shower. lol.

My husband's professional opinion is we're addicted to Gong Yoo and I'm currently undergoing addiction therapy...watching everything he is in and repeat. I won't know if it's effective for a few more weeks. Lol.

Did the same thing, Coffee Prince, you know.

Hi all!

To the Dutch Beanies and the ones in the neighbouring countries: CinemAsia, the Asian filmfestival in Amsterdam is starting next week the 7th till 12th! Anyone going??

Happy Friday!

Me!!! I am totally going!
Wait, Fab, are you in Netherlands?

Hi @Azka!
Cool! When are you planning on going and what films are you interested in watching?
I'm indeed.

I only have time to go on saturday and sunday so will try to catch up everything on that day probably ?

Saw The Truth Beneath on the list so maybe I'll watch that. What's on your list?

But wow it's really nice to know fellow kdrama watchers in Netherlands ?

I'm planning on seeing The Truth Beneath too! I'm working that weekend so I have no choice but to go at night. Prior to that I'm very excited to see Quiet Night(with Han Ye-ri!). And on Thursday I'll be seeing Gong Yoo in The Age of Shadows. Speaking of Gong Yoo, you should definitely catch him in Train to Busan on Sunday. It's really good!
Did you see they'll show Old Boy?? It's unfortunately on Friday night which is a bit of a stretch for me. Heh but who knows!

Really nice to see you here and thanks for replying. I'm all alone here in this fandom hehe. Checked your blog, it's great, I love you reviews! I see you live in Leiden, not too far from me in Rotterdam. ;-)

Hi! Sorry for the very late reply lol hope you still read this.

I did plan to watch three movies but still not finishing my assignments so idk if I am even be able to go. But I 'll try to watch A Quiet Dream. Just watched youtube review on that and it's so convincing haha.

Do you manage to catch The Age of Shadows?

Yes I have watched Train to Busan and it was terrific! I enjoyed watching it so much. And yes to Old Boy. Actually I have watched that few years ago but I skipped forward most of the time lol so plan to watch it again sometime later.

Thanks for checking my blog! I appreciate that hehe, really glad you like it :D
Btw, the funny thing is that I can't catch that many movies on Sunday bcs I have to be in Rotterdam all day lol.

Oh gosh, you were in my city?? Did you by any chance visit a museum? Because, heeeey, we could've seen each other while I was at work. xD
Were you able to travel back to Amsterdam?

I knew it would happen, but I really couldn't make the trip to the capital on a weekday. SMH. Too bad because we don't get a lot of opportunities like this for Korean movies.

Sunday was easier to go as I had a day off on Monday. A Quiet Dream is such a delightful little film. It's kinda odd, but very uplifting. The Truth Beneath was quite gritty and dark with great twists and turns(bonus: Kim Eui-Sung- W's Dad is everywhere and I love it!).
BTW Train to Busan will get screened in regular cinemas. Definitely worth a second watch! I hope other films from this festival will make it too. I've watched it together with the Handmaiden in my city's very own film festival. Both were very well-received by the public.

Will keep eyes and ears open for Korean films in the Netherlands. We should meet-up and see some!

This OT is getting too old! Hope you get to read this though.

Oh Open Thread! Thank god I've found you...

I'm sure you will be bright and optimistic! A cheerful attitude for a cheerful day!

Except maybe @Purple Owl, he/she seems to be cranky this morning unfortunately. See above. ;)

I just came from the Water God thread and it had me down. Lots of unhappy people there lol. I'm still optimistic for that show despite everyone else seemingly taking a more pessimistic position. I can't help it. I love Shin Se Kyung. And the production team seems good.

Anyway, just happy to be here. Open Threads are always a fun read.

Have a great day everyone!

Is there a change I didn't know about with Bride of the Water God? I thought it was written by Misaeng and Arang's writer and then directed by Nine Time Travels and QIHM... I feel like I'm pretty darn excited for it.

No change in respect of writer / PD. Mainly because it is the adaptation of manhwa but they wont follow the original setting of manhwa which is sageuk but will adapt it in modern time. Aside from that, the not so convincing casts.

Ah, ok. I really liked Shin Se-Kyung in GWSS, but I haven't seen anything from any of the other actors. Hopefully it'll work out well. :)

Transporting it to modern day is a bit disappointing since I loved the historical manhwa, but I've only ever finished one Saeguk (Arang, and I don't know if that really counts) so it's probably a good thing for me...

SSK is an OK choice for me, she did well in Six Flying Dragons and GWSSS but the entire team looks not so good when we put them together. But maybe these casts suit the modern theme more, I dont know.
Based on what I read on the reviews, what is special about the manhwa because of it historical setting and costume. I think the manhwa readers (and for non readers too) have right to be pessimistic about this adaptation because the main part of manhwa will be erased. To add the fuel to the fire the entire casts also seem not to to up for manhwa's adaptation, but more like casts for some youthful or college drama. Nevertheless the team of writer and PD probably know more what right things to do.

I've always loved Shin Se Kyung. I've seen her in When A Man Loves, Fashion King, Blade Man and The Girl Who Sees Smells. I thought she did well in all. A lot of people rag on her for WAML and FK, but many of their complaints indicate to me that what they really hate are the characters she played, and they are redirecting that hatred to her as an actress. Obviously others may simply just not believe her to be a good actress. I disagree with that assessment, but it is what it is. Anyway, I think she's charming and believe her later roles show this. Hopefully she will do well here and prove her critics wrong.

As to the complaints many have with the changes from the manhwa, I have never read it, so I guess I don't have any expectations going in. I see that as a plus.

All in all, I'm looking forward to it because of SSK and the creation team. Glad you are as well. :)

I am more optimistic about Nam Joo Hyuk than most people here or the Bride of the Water God thread. The change of setting to modern is the part which I dislike most. Since everyone is predicting that the show will fail, I think that's not a bad place to start. Better than being hyped and end up disappointing.

I've only seen Nam Joo Hyuk in Scarlet Heart Ryeo, and I thought he did well for the role he played. I'm optimistic that the casting director knew what he/she was doing, so hopefully it will turn out well.

After reading other comments, I'm glad I haven't read the manhwa. Others who have seem to universally be down about the changes. I have no such expectations to be subjected to disappointment. I guess that sometimes being ignorant has it's benefits lol.

You may be right that having tempered expectations going in may ultimately benefit the drama if it can deliver in the end.

"Actually all this just makes me want the drama to start so that we can either throw rotten tomatoes at it or be surprised."

My feelings exactly. The change of setting is my first WHAT?! but I really am a huge fan of the writer and PD that somehow I feel like they've got something that will (hopefully pleaseee) surprise the viewers.

looking forward for the dramas from SFD alumnae. Currently watching Yuk Kyung Sang's Rebel and looking forward for Yoo Ah In's and Shin She Kyung's projects.

Hi Everyone! ....... I hope you are all doing well today!

Suddenly we have summer-like weather! But only for 2 days. Oh well.

Watched this week:

Defendant - Still in the first episodes and already quite a ride! Fantastic.

Night Light - It may just be me but I think there is something more occurring than a simple professional admiration between Lee Yo-won's character and UEE's character.

Chief Kim - Week in and week out this never fails to provide the laughs. The chairman's son, oh my gosh, who is this guy? Just too funny.

Perfect Wife - I initially wasn't going to watch this, but I only watched episode 2 and there was certainly enough mystery to keep me intrigued. We'll see what happens next.

That's all for now. ....... Everyone take care and have a great Friday!

On Night Light : Clearly there is more going on between Lee Yo Won and Uee. lol. l I am not going to say this, but it seems to be some sexual tension between them.

Chief Kim : The Chairman's son. haha He is so hilarious.. He is going to grow up soon, under Chief Kim's supervision and of course with great team like Business Development. I am glad he is coming to BD, BD is like a core for the business. He will learn a lot. The actor's name is Dong Ha or birth name is Kim Hyung-Kyu.

Perfect Wife : I hope the show has more than adultery issue. I am more interiguing with the mystery. The trio Ahjumma are the best! (Jae Bok and her two friends)