Open Thread #491

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

There was some discussion in the show recap posts but i thought an open thread might be a better place for a more complete discussion.

Is anyone finding the Gay humour in SWDBS problematic ???

It just makes me so uncomfortable. because they seem to be going all out to stretch it as a comedy point in every single episode.

I feel like the mom is the most problematic thing about the show. She's so frustrating. It's one thing to want a romantic relationship between our leads and give her some advice-
That's typical and okay. But this lady is like hell bent on getting her daughter married to this guy when she's clearly not interested (yet).
The gay humour isn't ill-intention-ed I think and it's like no one believes the hero is gay except for the heroine despite her claims so I think it sort of negates the point. I mean in a country like Korea, I can't imagine people being so okay with out hero if they believed he was actually gay, since their not into same sex relationships.

*since they're not into

she is just an exagerrated version of lizzy bennet's mother..

the ultimate goal.. no matter what era... and how society perceives it..

women.. find a good financially stable man for your daughter..

I just wish there was an actual gay character rather than jokes & bromance alluding to it.

I'm hoping that it'll turn out that Gook-doo is gay. That would make a lot of sense, given his aloofness & the bar scene. (Probably not, but it would also provide an excellent narrative excuse for Bong-soon to transfer her affections to Min-hyuk.

I seriously thought they might be going there...

It would be great IMO actually. I agree it would make sense and give the the things that happened some meaning rather than using gay jokes & bromance but never doing anything with. And I think it would create interesting storylines for Gook-Doo :)

(if they would go there...)

I have no doubt that they are going there. We are up to the 7th and 8th episodes this weekend with plenty of time to introduce that part of the story. If it is Gook du (as I believe) I think he has to get enough courage to come out of the closet. Right now he is almost living in a strait-jacket (actually no pun intended) He seems very stressed out in trying not to get too emotionally involved with the people closest to him. He is very short and brusque when he deals with his friends and MH. He cares for them but he is trying to keep them at arms length.
I project that the more he tries to protect Bong soon and her secret, the harder it will be to protect his own secret.
Something about this show really makes me believe they are brave enough to attempt a gay main character.

or maybe the joke is not on homosexuality, but the exaggerated kdrama bromances themselves?

You feel guilt because someone told you to. Initially you laughed your ass off and now after reading comments you have laughers regret?

Let me ask you this, if a drunk woman in a bar got up and danced like that to a man she was not attracted to as cinderella and then ended up on a pool table passed out with him would you have laughed? I would have laughed because it is ridiculous. It doesn't matter if the person was male, it doesn't matter if the person is white, it doesn't matter if it was a muslim, that scene was ridiculous WHOEVER did it. That is what being treated equally means.

The point is: it is BS imagination of her love rival. A love rival can be a male to a female lead, which I LOVE ABOUT THIS SHOW. It is showing that homosexuals are on the same level as heterosexuals. Anyone who gets drunk can act like a horny moron. So, are you saying that homosexuals get special treatment now and should not be treated the same as everyone else in shows? Those of us in the LGBTQ community want to be treated just like everyone else. No special treatment. Humor can be mocking, humor can make you look at something in yourself that you dislike and make you laugh about it. If we cannot mock homosexuality like we mock everything else in humor then we cannot mock anything at all. Look at EVERYTHING in the show and pick out what is being mocked. Are you ashamed at laughing at it? This show has not done a single thing to make me or my friends feel discriminated against. We love humor. We believe you should be able to mock everything equally.

I am sorry to state this since you might find it polemical, but, by stating that you are now uncomfortable with the scene shows how uncomfortable you actually are with a gay concept. You are basically stating that if a girl was in that situation you would be ok with it, but now that it is a man you are uncomfortable. I do not mean for this to be a polemical statement towards you. But, you are the one who asked what a Korean homosexual would think... I am not Korean, but I can tell you my friends and I are saying: FINALLY a Korean Drama is willing to push that boundary and show a man in a role where a woman could be.

i love your point about equality..

( outside of this drama..)

Off track but,

It is my pet peeve when promoting education for girls or anything, people start talking about ( or even those scoial commercials start talking about it).. how daughters are more of a support system than sons..

there are commercials with woman staying by parents when son doesn't..

Dude!.. kids are kids..everyone has right to education, good life... it doesn't matter girl to boy.. if you want to promote.. promote but not based on tactic of showing the other one less..

Similarly for LGBT.. why should you ahve reservation in institutes? How is sexuality related to your capacity to learn and study..

old vs young makes sense..because your body is not the same.. so give up seat to elderly..

but this let's be more sensitive to fat people, lgbt, handicapped, women, multiple other segments..

JUST BE NICE.. to everyone

of course we need to be nice to everyone.

the reason we at least have legislation for special interest groups is because they have been historically abused and maltreated.

Again, my point remains what i said below, we seem to have skipped the stage of acceptance.

Taking your example of LGBT. I agree that sexuality has no correlation to learning. But it has correlation to how they are treated in learning institutes, in society, even in their own homes.

Adults treat them with contempt, kids mock them and are cruel, parents don't want their children to play with them, they suffer from depression and self harm.

So legislation in theory at least grants them the access to education. if it was not for this, schools/ colleges would not even admit them or kick them out on flimsy pretexts. Colleges don't even have to make up an excuse because they can be easily dismissed at interview stage as being not good enough

For example in my country we recently passed a legislation for reservation in schools/ colleges for transgenders. And it was such a positive step because transgenders had one of the lowest education rates in India.

in theory being nice to everyone is a good idea. in practice you need legislation to actually force society simply to just share the same space as these groups.

I don't believe we should discriminate based on anything, even age. I think that these fears are based in how someone is raised. Yes parents, I am talking to you. If you treat someone a certain way then your children will as well. If you bring your child to a religious institution that treats people a certain way, then so will your children. If you let your kids hang out with friends that treat people a certain way, then so will your children.

Get off your asses and teach your children! For those that taught that on purpose then I don't want to know you or your children. I cannot change your mind, but I can avoid you and make sure your asses go to jail if you discriminate against me.

I try to be nice to everyone... but sometimes I fail and just end up being sarcastic to everyone. At least I am consistent and equal. ;)

@bips99 I was VERY active in the previous threads on this, so I'm not going to re-hash my opinions here, but...

...I want to circle your comment and surround it with glittery heart stickers. Thank you for pointing out (here and in comment # 1.3.2.4) how wrong it is to think we as a society can skip from derision/violence toward gay people to "making jokes about them all in fun" without doing the hard work of acceptance. Really well said!

A lot of times, the order doesn't follow from acceptance to humor. A lot of times, humor helped bring acceptance.

awesome point Bad Cheese Cheddar

And yes I think Bong Soo sees Min Hyuk as a real rival and make serious efforts to keep him away from Gok Doo. I don't think it would have been depicted so if it was meant to be an offense.

i just want to point out about the equality point.

one can treat all groups as equals AFTER they have been accepted mainstream.

in terms of homosexuality we are jumping from persecution to stereotypical jokes without the middle part of accepting them and assimilating them in society, mindset and culture.

we can't claim equality in mocking someone if we deny equality in all other spheres.

I don't know about you... but gays have been accepted mainstream. At least where I live.

I get what you are saying, but one of the shows in the US that many think brought more acceptance was Will and Grace and if there is a more cliched stereotypical gay character than "Just Jack" (and all the jokes surrounding that character) I don't know who it is. Sometimes comedy just helps move the needle. Now, how the gay community felt about that character, I have no idea but the show ran for years and years ...

La Plume: I am sorry if you feel as thought my comment was aggressive. It was not meant to be aggressive, I was trying to make a point through examples and my opinion of your guilt. Perhaps we have leave it as a language/cultural barrier on discussions?

It doesn't matter what your background is, what you say at the moment that counts. You could have a lifetime of gay loving moments, and then one that contradicts it- that is the one we remember. Perhaps it is aggressive of us. But, after a lifetime of having to deal with crap from people you learn how to defend yourself.

I appreciate your struggle with your acceptance of homosexuality. From what you wrote, it feels to me that you are still struggling with the guilt of it and are possibly overcompensating on the other end of the spectrum now. Super protective like a mom keeping her child ridiculously safe locked in a room after a bad experience. While you think you are doing this to protect someone, it might also be doing a slight bit of harm as well. This is normal for those trying to change their ways. I applaud you for your insight, for your ability and want to change. Not many people are as strong as you to do this.

I never said you have a "problem with homosexuality", what I wrote is that the scene which had a gay concept made you uncomfortable. That is WAY different. But, I will say that you stating that you find most people in my community too aggressive is offensive. Nothing that I wrote was aggressive. I am sorry, did you want me to shake your hand and thank you for standing up for my hurt feelings from a show? (That was sarcastic). Why? I was not hurt. I was pointing out why this show is not being discriminatory but trying to treat men and women equally within a drama. It seems that you were offended that I did not side with you.

I understand what you are saying about gay portrayals in French cinema. I will admit, I don't watch many French movies. But, I will say that this show is not in the same vein. This show does not mimic them as you think. Where is the gay person acting effeminate? So far, everyone in the show is straight. Min Hyuk puts on a show of hitting on Gook Do to irritate Bong Soon. Gook Do got drunk and was a horny moron hitting on a pretty person (I don't think anyone can refute me when I say Min Hyuk is gorgeous to either sex). It was in no way a gay connotation. How many women get drunk with female friends and make out with them but they are straight? More than I can count. In a way I feel that this show is poking fun at accepted norms. Women do this all the time, lets have men do this and see what happens.

I do agree with you, wait don't have a heart attack, I do not think that Bong Soon should be outing Min Hyuk. But, in her mind I think she thinks he is already out of the closet to friends. When you have your first gay friend it is a learning experience on what you should and shouldn't do according to societal norms.

But, and this is a big but, Min Hyuk has never once refuted her or told her not to say that. He just gets this incredulous look on his face and then I see the wheels turning in his head on how to use it to his advantage.

"poofter" is British English. I am not British, but I can understand their slang words since I have many British friends. Yes, it means what you think it does. Be careful between British and American English slang. There is a specific word which means cigarette in British English which is a really bad derogatory word for being gay in American English.

Your English is quite good. English is also my second language, but I think I learned it at a younger age and moved to America young so that I picked up more of their culture than you have.

I believe it is wonderful to have this discussion with you. It is ok to agree to disagree.

I am not saying that this show is perfect. Just don't get offended by the little things.

I poke the bear on Catholic beliefs all the time. Why can't they poke my bear?

Yes, lets stop. I have no wish to get into miscommunication territory. I will agree to disagree with you.

I apologize. I was incorrect in this case, I didn't realize you never wrote that part. Thinking back on everything, I think I do agree with you after all, La Plume.

I may agree with your sentiments if homosexuality in Korea was more widely accepted and understood. I should make the disclaimer that my understanding of homosexuality in Korea is limited to the handful of articles I've read on the subject. From my understanding, homosexuality is still quite taboo in Korea even though it is not illegal to have same sex sexual relationships. Yes, times are changing, slowly, but I don't think that the culture has reached a point where they can poke fun at homosexuality without it causing more harm than good. I get the feeling that the rating aren't hurt by the depiction of homosexuality here because they may truly find homosexuality ridiculous. If a great percentage of the population were truly ok with homosexuality then the depiction of homosexuality here would come of less as satire and more of in good humour.

It's a similar opinion I have about gender bender dramas. Some of them like Coffee Prince are really good mainly because they are able to express the internal conflict that some have with sexuality and can show that for many, sexuality works on a scale. However, for as good as they are, at this time the audience knows that the leads are going to end up in a MF pairing and not a same sex pairing. There is that comfort there that "balance" will be restored.

I would like to think that the showrunner, director, writers etc don't have any malicious intent here, and they probably want to have more of a discussion on homosexuality. Unfortunately, Do Bong Soon and her mother don't exactly make it easy for me to believe that.

i was under the impression that it was illegal in korea. so after your post, i googled and from wiki

Homosexuality in South Korea is not specifically mentioned in either the South Korean Constitution or in the Civil Penal Code. Article 31 of the Korean Human Rights Committee Law states that "no individual is to be discriminated against on the basis of his or her sexual orientation." However, Article 92 of the Military Penal Code, which is currently under a legal challenge, singles out sexual relations between members of the same sex as "sexual harassment", punishable by a maximum of one year in prison. The Military Penal Code does not make a distinction between consensual and non-consensual crimes and names consensual intercourse between homosexual adults as "reciprocal rape"

..... so its sorrrrt of illegal.

I agree with some of your sentiments. There seems to be a canon (using the definition of an accepted principle, law, or criterion) in KDramas. Certain plot lines or balance that drives the story.

I feel that they have been overused and are stale. That is one of the reasons I was so excited about this show. It is different. It is slightly tweaking an known canon. yeah, it can be over the top sometimes... but what KDrama acting isn't in a KDrama comedy?

I choose not to be offended because this drama is from Korea. They are not Hollywood. They are not liberal America (I know it is sad, but I have to differentiate now between liberal America and conservative America- ugh the travesty). For them (Korea), this was probably a huge leap of change. I do not expect them to have the same sensitivity that we have. I do not expect them to accept me as readily as someone else. But, I will applaud them for not being actively discriminatory. This is an extremely hard issue for them to portray at all. It is not a gender bender accidental falling in love with same sex to find out later it was ok because they were different sexes. Two male actors almost kissed on Korean TV and the ratings were still doing well! Isn't that a little progress?

@bips99
That was my bad. I could have sworn that it wasn't. Should have done more thorough research before posting.

@Bad Cheese Cheddar

I choose not to be offended because this drama is from Korea. They are not Hollywood...I do not expect them to have the same sensitivity that we have. I do not expect them to accept me as readily as someone else. But, I will applaud them for not being actively discriminatory.

Your opinion here reminds me of the blackface issue Korea has had and continues to have apparently. While you may not be offended, there are others who may be offended. The issue here is that K-Dramas are licensed to countries outside of Korea and there seems to be a desire to appeal to a broader international audience. If this is the case, then yes, they should be more sensitive to the LGBT community. Heck, they should be show greater sensitivity to their own LGBT community.

The two guys kissing would have been more groundbreaking if it were two guys who were attracted to each other. Again, the audience either knows or believes that it was meant to be ridiculous.

Oh, I was just reminded about drunk Do Bong Soon's comment in episode 4 to Min Hyuk, something along the lines of "log out of being gay." Yup, it's that easy.

And No, i have no problem with the gay concept. please don't make attribute characteristics to me by reading two lines. You don't know why i am uncomfortable but you are quick to jump and say its because i have a problem with homosexuality. That is immature and rude.

I'm not ok with

- DBS blurting out to all that he is gay every single episode. Considering homosexuality is still illegal in korea and his sexuality is really none of her damn business.

- portraying that a gay man as effeminate. As some of them effeminate, yes. Are all ? No. Yet this stereotype continues show after show, movie after movie. And this show plays into that exact stereotype for laughs. If they are going to continue using this theme in the entire series then why not break new ground ?

-No, its not as you assume that it was a matter of 'if it was girl i would be ok with it'. I would freaking love if they has MH as bisexual and both DBS and GD locked in actual love triangle..... dreams dreams .... But i am uncomfortable because it is using homosexuality for cheap laughs, having complete stereotypical portrayals, and it is offensive.

- Yes humour can be mocking. But its problematic when it mocks a certain group all the time. its problematic when that group has largely not been accepted by society. its problematic when their sexual preferences are deemed as illegal by law and immoral by church. It would have been ok had they accompanied this humour with acceptance too. and mom saying ' all men have flaws' is not acceptance. Lets accept them before we start mocking them. because that is the narrative in movies/tv largely -> first they were unnatural and now they are fodder for jokes.

but if you think that makes me homophobic then i really have no answer to it.

Actually, nothing you wrote gave that impression. I have never judged you.

Also, no one is gay in this show. As of yet.

But bips .. my point is.. why do you need to know who is LGBT or married or not when granting admission?

For administrative reasons, i understand we need countries and states. And for administrative reasons i also understand that those countries or states have to give preference to their own residents. Fair enough.

Now instead of multiple information on whether you are hispanic or not is pointless. Identify the countries which you consider least developed or in need of requiring focus.. and then give reservation to those ( because they are economically so backward that the kids may not be able to compete with mature state kids in open adn fair competition.. but then identify the coutnries)..

how does you being hispanic with excellent elementary, middle school, high school .. be a factor in college??

If you are LGBT.. or not.. why should that question be there in application forms? or jobs?

What is the point of telling fat people to be proud of their body? I am sorry.. you are fat because you are not taking care of your body.. either medicines or genuine laziness..
Your body is not something to be abused..
so atleast be honest with such people.. hard truth is. that looks matter.. not a pretty face but a confiden tpersonality.. so fat people have no right to whine about their own body.. either accept it and be as nice a human as you can be.. or get yourself moving , execise and be fit.. but don't accept sympathy

Fair Vs not so fair.. or should i say propaganda of equality.. what happened at oscars last year..specially the whol will smith and family comments were seriously pathetic..

back in 1960s - 70s i'd understand. but today a good actor is given his/her due. So, what is with quota in how many "white" actors can be nominated..
Or why the debate that white characters should be allowed to be played by black..but no one questions asked on black characters being played with white..

My main point is.. yes certain groups need additional support and care and sensitivty.. they do... but then identify the correct group.. not a man who is a rich heir and whining about not being given reservation

EZ

i don't think fat people get reservation at all in in any country of the world :) ... but i support the body positive movement completely.

One may not like a fat person, but it does not give them a right to mock them, insult them or be cruel to them. which is what people do. Nobody else needs to dole out hard truths to them.

The body positive movement nowhere says don't exercise, don't go to gym etc etc ... it just tells you that you don't have to be a certain size to be happy and confident. because a lot of people are those that have battled with weight problems since childhood and their confidence is already shot to pieces before they even realised what a BMI was.

I don;t think fat people are whining or looking for sympathy. They are just saying - society doesn't have a right to shame us. its just weight. they haven't killed someone. basically they are saying - everyone pls mind your own business .

Similarly , black vs white issue. i don't think we have anywhere close to the point where a black person is treated the same way as a white person. A good actor is given their due. But a lot of black actors are culled out in the initial stages only. You don't see a lot of black actors on the top because black actors don't get 'opportunity' to show their talent. if you remove so many at the starting of the race, then you won't see many at the winning point.

phew ........ we have digressed from homosexuality, to body image to racism ! .... thats a long discussion for another day.

I work in the medical field and I will say I am bluntly honest with all my patients. Most basically hate it even if I treat them all equally.

Say someone is a smoker. I will matter of factly tell them that smoking is killing them and those around them due to second hand smoke (especially young children). Here are some medicines or programs you can try to quit. Then I move on. They get pissed off and say I'm being rude and to mind my own business. In my head I am thinking: It is my job to keep you healthy, how is it not my business? I don't make a big deal and move on, but inside I am screaming.

It is the same thing with overweight people. At a certain weight you are a danger to your health. I will matter of fact state what medical problems that they have are related to weight, suggest a regime that will help them become healthy. Again, I get yelled at. I move on even though they are pissed at me.

On the other end of the spectrum with super underweight people I also have the matter of fact discussion about what medical problems they have or will have if they continue. I give them options for becoming healthier. They also get pissed at me. I move on.

If I do not address these issues then I am not doing my job.

Just remember some people have medical conditions that can cause obesity, or are on medications to save their life that can cause obesity. Not all can be judged on diet and exercise. I do believe that as a species we are becoming complacent due to our technology and advancements. Medicine is keeping alive people who should not be, and then those people are procreating and passing on the genes that should have died out and not made it into the general population. We have changed natural selection. Mutations happen all the time within a species, the bad ones die out because they cannot survive, the good ones stay and help the species adapt. In theory.

Don't get me started on animal breeding programs for specific traits and how that is killing evolution.

Wow... that totally went off topic. Sorry.

I'll leave the question of what to tell fat people to their doctors and other experts. Speaking for myself only, I don't think that I should be telling them anything.

But I did want to address your statements: "Or why the debate that white characters should be allowed to be played by black..but no one questions asked on black characters being played with white." I think that the answer lies in the fact that many "black character" roles deal with issues specific to blacks and it would be odd to use white actors in those roles. For example, it would be odd to have had a white actor portray the wife in "Loving v. State." It would have also been out of place to use white actors to portray the women matheticians in "Hidden Figures." Conversely, it would have been odd for black actors to play the white characters in "Loving v. State" or "Hidden Figures." Nor do I hear black actors clamoring to play characters specifically written to be white. The problem is that the default, even in race-neutral roles, often is to white. (This happens even when the role is not race neutral: In the recent movie "Aloha," Emma Stone played a character named Allison Ng in the movie, "Aloha.") Further, it is ludicrous to claim that white people are underrepresented and need to be offered more non-white roles or that the failure to cast white people in race-neutral roles is discouraging more of them from become actors. Thus, equating white actors playing black characters with black characters playing more race-neutral characters is, I think, a false equivalency.

Oops, typo in the last sentence of my comment, above. I meant black ACTORS playing more race-neutral characters. And "matheticians" should be "mathematicians" (but you probably figured that out already).

Alaska,
my point is not about under representation..

but that in all this talk of genuine equality the concept has lost its meaning..

the ones using are not the ones who need it..

Like Bad pointed out, doing something for transgenders is amazing.. allowing older people/single women in countries where women are significantly abused of their basic rights is amazing..

but in palces where it does not make sense.. goes beyond me..
for e.g. whether you are gay or not.. who can tell in the interview..and hence why do you need that question on your application.

THe black - white debate was in news last year.. where they were demanding white characters to be adapted to black characters well because world has evolved.. there is more globalization..

people can't whine about such things.. you want to create characters then write a script with that character..

simple things in our daily lives.. seat reservation in public transport (ladies first), manly thing to pull the chair for the lady at the restaurant (hell!.. why???.. if you are equal be equal in all emotional/capability related tasks .. physical i understand cannot be compared)..

Now for example, issue of equal pay for women. and they blame corporates.. but here is the real thing.. audience wich includes men and women are drawn to certain celebs.. its the bitter truth that there are very few ladies that can pull in the crowd..

is equal pay an issue.. YES.. but is it just a corporate issue.. NO.. as a business decision equal pay doesn'tmake sense..

Gawyneth paltrow had an issue with not being payed as much for iron man.. My question is.. for that movie.. she is nothing more than a cameo..if they bring in another woman.. nothing in the movie gets impacted.. anyone could play that role..

So equal pay debate is valid in certain cases.. e.g. a manger Vs a manager... a leading lady with significant role and screentime and yet being paid less..

black-white debate.. i agree with you on most points..i think i was just irritated with Will Smith's stance..just because he did not get nominated..everything his family said was turned into a racist attack... to be fair oscars were fine..

In asian countries, with all the reservation in educational institutions .. neither the deserving nor the needy gets it.. rather it becomes a case of one rich person fulfilling that criteria and his sons and daughter leveraging the advantage every time..

Thanks for the clarification, EZ. I think we're not very far apart.

Gook Do's sexuality doesn't matter in this scene. The fact is that it is male on male and alludes to a sexual atmosphere between males. People don't seem to have a problem with straight women who get drunk and act all sexy with each other and make out. So, is this double standard just with men?

I have read articles online that say historically, PDA between friends of the same sex is much more socially acceptable in Asian countries than skinship (term gives me the shivers as sounds kinky) in public between mixed couples. It seems like in conservative cultures, the thought is that interaction between men and women leads directly to sex and babies.
Same sex idols can touch each other up and down and dance provocatively together, but it becomes scandalous if there is accidental contact between idols of the opposite sex.

Weird. It's almost like they are accepting that same sex won't happen, so it is ok. Wow, the strange taboo of heterosexual sex. It's not like they are going at it in public. Oh conservatives, how I love how you think.

Yeah, the term skinship is slightly unnerving. It's like an amalgamation of the words skin and relationship. Yes, let me have a relationship with your skin. Awkward. Makes it seem like no strings attached, no emotions sexual interaction.

Not that there is anything bad if you are into that, I just am not.

It's difference in perspective. I don't find it offending. Not because it doesn't personally concern me. I have a colleague who is gay. And for around a year he is suffering severe discrimination because of coming out. Despite my warning about the peril of coming out in a country like India he decided to go with it not wanting to live a hypocritical life.

Anyways the point is, I introduced him to the kdrama world around a year ago. He blamed me for dragging him down the rabbit hole I'm in. In 10 or 15 minutes lunch break we get, I used to ditch my nearest colleagues and run to him to discuss about the dramas we are watching.( I teach engineering students and he teaches management students) I remember him becoming so emotional when we were discussing about Reply 1997. He was almost on the verge of tears when he said how he could relate to Hoya's feelings when SIG back hugs him.

Then happened personal preference. I thought he would be offended by the depiction of gay in that drama and at first yes he was. But he said it's nothing compared to the pain he faced in the workplace and among his family members. Anyways I couldn't like the drama because of him.

But right in front of my eyes I saw him maturing and getting more strong. He started working hard and in the process inspiring more students. Last month he was selected as the best faculty by students despite the management not supporting him in anyway. Now they can't even force him to quit for stupid reasons.

And now we are watching SWDBS and I just carefully asked his opinion. He said this epic line " I am totally in love with PHS, PBY and Jisoo. Let's plan a trip to Korea to meet these guys." And as we both have almost same preference when it comes to Korean dramas, we gladly say that this is our new crack!

I am against jokes and humours around homosexuality. But I tell you, they face problems which are more grave than we can ever imagine. Especially in a country like India.

You seem like a wonderful friend! I would totally join you in going to meet them. I am in love with them too!

Count me in. Reducing Gay men to ass grabbing pervert and the mother dismissing his sexual preference and continuously asking Bong Soon to get herself pregnant with his child is just irritating to me. I am Asian, I know homosexuality is frowned upon and in some places still considered a tabboo so the show further following the social stigma and general lack of respect and basic understanding for homosexuality and the habit of reducing them to mere elements of ridicule felt out of line to me.

I thought it was just comical lines when I watched the show, but now so many people seem to have issues with it. btw do you know currently there is anti-homosexuality movement in Korea (the person they object is Lee Sun-ae for constitution judge?? who made some favorable laws for these group)

I am quite glad and surprised that some one else thought that too @bips99, I find the mom hilarious, and any words coming out of her mouth are like the smartest, and wittiest jokes of the show.
What I found problematic was the way Min Hyuk is shown grabbing ji soo's character's butt, :S. I am sorry people here might find the conversation off putting, but this angle has been covered in several episodes already, and that latest episode, when the two boys got drunk, and then they're shown groping each other's body, that scene was quite disturbing for me. They are objectifying these two boys, and trying to shove the body related jokes down our throat forcefully, which at times are tiresome, honestly. There was gay humors in 'personal taste' too, but it was handled much more gracefully.

I think I'm watching this differently than you.

To me, the mom is shown as an outdated person with backward ideas. Everyone looks at her likes she's crazy when she says things like Bong Soo can change his mind if he sleeps with her. No one who knows anything about gays believes that, not her daughter, her family, or even the dog. (ep2). The fact that thinks being dropped off by her boss once means their fated, shows how out of touch she is.

As for the bar scene, well that was hilarious - however, it can be viewed in multiple ways and we won't really know if anyone is gay until the show ends. I felt it could be seen as another one of their contests like the darts and pool, a male bonding thing, or possibly Gook Doo trying to see if Min Hyuk is really gay and Min Hyuk doing the same; basically, many things can be conjectured from that scene.

As for Bong Doo 'outing' Min Hyuk to everyone, it is irritating and wrong, especially if you take into account the culture. However, it seems to me like she's using it as a defensive move - against her mom mainly, but also so that Gook Doo doesn't get the wrong idea about her and Min Hyuk. I don't condone it but I feel like I can understand it.

I may be really off on this point - but the fact that a possibly gay man is the the succesful owner of company and not seen as someone scary or disgusting seems like something positive to me. Bong Doo doesn't care he's that he's gay, just that he may steal her man. She treats him in that respect like she would another woman who might be after 'her' man. The simple fact is there are not a lot of gay characters in Korean mainstream and seeing a possible one in either Min Hyuk or Gong Doo is a step in the right direction. Do I wish this fight was long over -yes- it's ridiculous.

I concur. I think that many people have taken the "gay moments" (which are really not gay- just people of the same sex showing PDA) out of context. See what is happening in the scene and how others are reacting. It is almost like they are teaching what is right and wrong through these moments.

I totally agree about the mom. I think the show is depicting the contrast between the older generation's view on gays and the newer. The newer looking at the older like they are crazy. I don't think Korea is at a place yet where someone can stand up to the mom and verbalize how insane she is. It would be viewed as too aggressive, sigh, and too offensive to an elder. But, seriously Korean people... I know you are supposed to respect your elders, but what if they are murdering someone? Do you just let them do it because you are younger? I don't get the line and when you can cross it to tell them that they are being ridiculous.

Hallyu is very much like Hollywood in that it is more liberal than the rest of the country. It is almost like the younger generation depicted is their liberal view to the rest of the conservatives. You be crazy! That also may be my own wishful thinking and it was just a happy coincidence.

Interesting discussion had so far but I think we are missing the point about the importance of being represented in narratives and popular media that does not put marginalized communities as the object of ridicule and satire.

As I stated previously, shows and media do not exist in a vacuum. They both inform and are informed by the realities and experience that we face. The problem, again I stated in a previous thread, was that there are jokes about being gay and our experiences but rather that LGBTQIA PEOPLE are being made fun of, that they themselves as human beings are a joke. Again, power structures play a role in this. I am queer and believe me, my friends and I joke a lot about being queer, We aren't incapable of humor but narratives are important.

Dehumanization of people on screen translates to violence and dehumanization of people off screen. I live in a conservative state where I can't be openly out, my daily realities are that I have to be careful about who I am. And when I see that people like myself or my friends are jokes in narratives and media its worrying because how many people will think like that. Even in the supposedly liberal bastion of America, transwomen of color have an average life expectancy rate of 35 years. LGBTQIA kids are constantly being kicked out of their homes and their lives are in danger because people don't see them as human.

Also let's stop praising this drama as some sort of paragon of LGBTQIA representation in Korea when even Kim Eun-sook managed to not dehumanize a gay character in her drama way back in 2010. You can both enjoy a show and criticize how its narratives can be problematic.

Well said.

i can't read beyond that a transwoman of colour has a life expectancy of 35 years. This is just beyond horrific.

You can both enjoy a show and criticize how its narratives can be problematic.

very very true. Fans of a show (me included) get wayyy defensive if someone criticizes the show we love. I'm glad this forum's discussions have allowed me to become a little bit more open minded than before.

did someone watch this news..

a pakistani girl had to pretend to be a boy all her life to be able to play squash.. and now that she has been found out ... family is being targeted and being given death threats..

What use being a girl.. how do i feel proud of being a girl .. if being a girl become a source of fear and terror..

this is why media afraid to prortray ambiguity on sexuality cause people want it to be define and every things is seens as offensive if it doesn't clear,

it's simple scene and people get offended for the sake of other people while proclaiming they are right,

the fact that the girl afraid of the man is the key of accepting that it's a fair play in game

what else do you guys want?
worshipping the homosexuality that even hasn't been established because you can't just slightly touch the idea,
you have to committed or you are a the false bigot one,

shame on this commenter,

Thank you. I am properly shamed. Your wise words helped me discover that i am secret false bigot. I am forever indebted to you for opening my eyes.

Questioning, or even criticizing, a drama for the way it handles LGBTQ issues is not "worshipping the homosexual."

I can't believe that I even have to say that.

No one has forced any idea onto you or called you insensitive. No one has said that the "gay part" should be highlighted to make things "not equal" or "higher." No one has expressed anger at people who enjoy the drama. That is merely your projection. You are the one expressing anger at people who do not enjoy the drama as much as you do. You are the one who has descended into name-calling and hyperbole in an effort to force your ideas onto us.

You are free to ignore our comments if they might hamper your enjoyment of the drama but you are not free to bully us into silence.

Yes and thank you for bringing it up. I do not find any of the scenes humorous at all and skip them since they are really offensive and add nothing to the story. It is awkward and not sure why they are trying to make something that in reality is sad comes across as funny. Also the mother is disgusting and would hope no human being would act this way in real life. I would rather have the cliche nasty k drama mother than this poor excuse for a human being let alone a mother. Both these plot lines are really detracting from the show and making me think twice about continuing it and would probably stop if not for the two main leads and their cute chemistry.

This whole conversation is very interesting. I see both sides. I thought it was refreshing to see homosexuality addressed at all, and think some of the situations (billiard bar dancing for one!) would be comical whether men or women were the characters. I do also understand that within the cultural context there is still a need for more widespread acceptance, and that that could makes some (principally comical) portrayals problematic. I'm not saying anything new here, but I did appreciate the opinions expressed.

How's everyone doing?
The next time OT comes I'll be done with chemistry for life! (Hopefully, if I pass xD) I'm so happy about that. xD
Strong Woman Do Bong-soon is such a good drama! Idk, Park Hyung-sik is shining in the drama imo.
Chief Kim is entertaining as always.
Man to Man's teasers are making me go crazy. I can't wait till the drama airs!
And finally WINNER is coming back on 4th April! AAAAAAAH!

Happy weekend, everyone! I've been thinking about this subject for a while: a leading lady's cooking skills. In most of the dramas I've seen, the leading lady is either the most amazing cook the male lead has ever encountered, or the food she cooks is so horrendous, he is barely able to choke it down (which of course is used as comedic fodder). Often times it's the male lead who can cook, despite being a crazy-rich chaebol who has rarely had to fender for himself...

Has anyone encountered a drama where the female lead's skill set is moderate, i.e. more realistic? Maybe she can cook some dishes well, but not others. Maybe she generally makes good food except the occasional recipe that stumps her. I have begun to wonder if I've ever seen a drama along these lines. Therefore I am interested to know if any of you have!

or the absent-minded cook who has skills but forgets the food in the oven and burns it, nearly destroying the house. that would be me. plus, I do cook well, but sloooooooooooooooow. I´ll never get the hang of all that superspeed chopping, it takes me 3 hours to make soup

Yes, I am always envious of the characters with the super-quick chopping skills! Frankly I can't dice an onion in three seconds...

Lol! I remember them knights in Cinderella and the 4 Knights where they concocted special dishes in what--minutes?Not to mention the impeccable plating and that they didn't even break a sweat.

My post-cooking look is akin to Dae-shik's bloody encounter with Taegu.

HAHAAHHA OMG i was not expecting the Voice reference.

klm -

I don't know if this would qualify, and some of the other Beanies here can certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but the female character in I Hear Your Voice had somewhat of a skill set but it wasn't good. ..... If I remember correctly, she just kind of opened canned items, did a little bit of chopping other items and just threw everything in a plastic bowl and called it dinner.

On a different note, this particular drama was quite good though! Totally recommended.

I just started this drama this week!

In general, I am tired of the bad cooking cliche, it's not really funny to me in the first place and doesn't really add much to a storyline.

Nah, I wouldn't really call it cooking though. She practically just threw everything she has in her refrigerator into a bowl, stirred it a bit, and tada~ Dinner is ready.

You know, this drama did come to mind while I was considering the matter. However she doesn't actually cook, like you said just take several food items and mixes it together in a bowl and eats it. I would like to say cooking qualifies as giving some actual thought to the preparation of the food, like whether it needs to be heated or not, eaten raw, allowed to sit for a while, garnished, seasoned, etc. That's when I realized I haven't really seen a drama with this kind of middle ground where food may not be prepared perfectly all the time but it still serves the purpose of feeding everyone.

Isn't Park Min-young's character in Healer a bit like that? I remember she could cook some dish really well, but not the others. And her father keeps teasing her about it. (Or am I confusing it with another drama??)

In K-drama, there is no middle ground. You're either a chaebol heir(ess), or a dead broke living in a rooftop house. You are either the top student in your entire school or the very worst one. It's the same dichotomy with every other aspect too, like cooking.

I understand the convenience of those superlatives, that's how fairy tales are designed, but they are designed for little children. I wonder why no writer ever came up with the idea that the middle ground is actually much more interesting and rewarding for designing a character.

also other than fairy tales.. its the need of the medium

Watchign a drama/movie/theatrical presentation..
people are attracted to pretty things.. and would not be able to sustain their interest in balnd backdrops..

To get even a simple room setup for it to look good on screen.. that setupp itself makes it inevitable to raise the standard of the character..

and then you need to have this subconscious validation for viewers to buy in into what is hapening on screen..

so all fancy lunches/dates.. need money from transport, fuel etc.. therefore life is easier with a chaebol..

and relevance comes in with one partner being poor..so as viewer youc an place yourself there

Q: In real life, do koreans eat like this?.. I mean so many many dishes on table..

do they really cook so many varieties for every meal?

I get the impression that a lot of the sides are leftovers. Just like you might make one or two vegetables that night, but you'd eat up whatever was leftover from the night before, as well (also, several common side dishes aren't cooked; they're just hanging out in your fridge - kimchi & pickles, for example)

This reminds me of Mom of Reply series who cooked mountain. I think it was Reply94 where they had boarding house. I read their place had extra space outside of the kitchen and one of show directors (was it Art director?) actually cooked all those foods.

Anyway Koreans make many side dishes and they show up in multiple meals.

This reminds me that Gu Jun Pyo from Boys Over Flower can cook too. I mean, how? I don't think he ever tied his own shoelaces but now he's cooking for a small party?

Full House with Rain and Song Hye Kyo. He complained about her food but it was edible and even looked good. Also she was a messy person but she did know how to clean if someone (Rain's character) made her so tbh she was quite normal in that aspect.

Yas! Her character was so real.

The thing that drives me nuts is when the guy tries the food and it is horrible and the gal didn't have a clue. Who doesn't taste their food during the process for seasoning and, well, to make sure it is fine? Drives me crazy.

This is quite frustrating to me as well. It's very unrealistic for someone who cooks but will not taste the food first before serving it. And if she did taste it but couldn't realize that it tastes bad then she might as well have a really weird or dysfunctional taste buds.

I just want to share this video. It is a k drama parody, probably as a promo for McDonald's, mixed with Singlish (local style of English with its own grammar structure. Very funny.

Apparently the Korean guy is a language teacher who has been living in Singapore for quite some time.

That's quite funny. Are you sure it's sponsored by McDonald's?

This is sponsored by McDonald for its Seoul Spicy Burger which has just launched in Singapore. HAHAHA. All cliches rolled into a video.

The burger sounds awesome, but the video is a little lame imo.

I watched that! I died laughing when he switched to Korean accented English "SEOUL SPICEE SPESHIAL... NOW"

Was its officially sponsored by Macs tho? Thought the actual Macs sponsored one was the one with the 2 girls. If not, it should be. Also I would totally watch a whole drama built on that premise. The one burger that brought the OTP together. It would be a relevant PPL as well HAH.

Subway needs to learn from them!!!

LOL! thanks I needed that. However it did make me realize I was hungry and now I want to try a spicy Seoul burger.

So funny!

Sixth week! What a stressful week! TGIF everyone! I finally binged-watched/ binged-drank Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo this past weekend with my husband while the kids were at grandma’s house for Spring Break. It gave us an excuse to finally drink the bottles of Soju we had bought at New Years. So, about episode four, we started playing a drinking game… Every time what’s his name called Bok Joo “Fatty” we took a shot, then every time he was overtly nice to her, we took another shot. All I can say is, how do those Koreans drink 4-5 bottles BY THEMSELVES without going into a coma??? I’ve only thrown up twice secondary to intoxication, and last weekend was the second time. Never again… I hardly remember anything in the middle of this drama. I do remember that it was adorable, I think?

I also watched “Finding Mr. Destiny” last night when I should have been doing charts. The scenes in India were beautiful, but I was so confused with the rest of the movie. Did it want to be a musical too? I know that it is based off a musical in Korea, but that part in the film made absolutely no sense. I read a Viki comment which read something to the gist of, “How can I be consistently amazed by Gong Yoo, no matter what he’s in?” You and me both, honey, you and me both. I really thought the movie would end up back in India, where the cinematography was hands down the best images of the movie. Instead of a college kid in a blue beanie and ski jacket in a gray, cold Japanese airport, I (and the rest of the world) would have much rather been left with the image of a hot Gong Yoo in a white t-shirt with exotic crimsons and burnt oranges surrounding him in India. Can I get an "AMEN?"

Speaking of religion:

Me: I don’t know what it is about that actor (referring to Gong Yoo). I believe EVERYTHING he tells me when I watch him on screen.

Husband: *with back towards me, playing Words with Friends on his phone* You know, they say Satan is that way. He’s supposed to be charismatic and beautiful too.

Me: *shooting daggers with my eyes at the back of husband’s head* Just what I need, Lucifer coming to me in the form of Gong Yoo. I’d follow him directly to hell and never look back.

Husband: * still engrossed in his game* Don’t tell me I didn’t warn you.
Me: Thanks, honey…*crossing myself and praying, please let Satan look like Rachel McAdams or Yoona*

Husband: *swinging head around to meet my dagger-throwing eyes*

Me: Sorry, I didn’t mean to pray out loud.

*Cue rapid dash around the living room couch ending with me getting tickled to death*

Moral of the story: Really, I’m serious, God, please do not allow Satan to look like Gong Yoo…or Benedict Cumberbatch. Amen.

Gong Yoo can´t be satan, he doesn´t live in Tallinn.

I love how you guys mock each other. It is wonderful. Shows the true understanding and love between you two.

Some beanies would pray for Satan not to resemble Kim Jae-wook and his cracking jaw. Lol

Kim Jae Wook is worse, we all saw him do all lunatic stuff but then if he chases you with suit half undone, you would still stop to admire the view.

Yep, I'd be a goner then. 'suit half done - doesn't even need a kettle ball'

My kdrama encyclopedia is limited so I had to look him up. Was he the Japanese guy Coffee Prince? Very pretty, but I can see how dangerous he could be!

So hilarious! You made my day. Quite a sense of humor.

Oh Ally! I just love reading your Gong Yoo obsession. :D

Watching 10mins of Queen of the Ring and when Kim Seul Gi's character runs in the rain, I can't help but wishing she would be swished into a puddle of rain to escape the discrimination she went through. Male lead's character isn't likable so far, maybe I will skip right to the final episode (ep3) just to see how it ends. Highlight of episode one is the convo between KSG and her mom, so witty!

Also currently starting Tomorrow With You, I am now on episode 3 and this might be my new crack. Normally I would be the first person who questions the plot, why does this happen, how does the time travel work, all that technical stuff. But for some reason, I am content just watching the OTP's life unravel in the present. Is it because this PD is always good in cutting off filler that I am not distracted by anything else other than what's offered? Or perhaps, both of the OTP's magnetic pull?

Lee Je Hoon is doing great, he's so cute yet full of charisma. I always think Shin Mina is one of the prettiest woman alive but I never warmed up to her until this drama, here I really enjoy her character and chemistry with LJH. Oh and the fashion! I def would try the tshirt, highwaisted skirt, and rolled-sleeve parka look one day when the weather is right. It's hard to believe that Lee Je Hoon's character initially felt very icky towards her because she's so pretty, but then I hafta say it's refreshing to have a male lead who really looks for inner beauty and nothing else.

I also enjoy seeing the supporting characters from this PD's previous works (the stuttering manager and doting appa from Savvy, the shaman from Ghost, etc). And Seo In Guk's voice just amps up the melancholy feel of the drama.

Queen of the Ring really made me angry, I just watched a bit and like you decided to watch epi 3 just to see how it ends. The hero is not likeable, i wish she end up with her best friend instead. And Kim Seul Gi is not someone ugy though, she doesn't need any ring to look pretty. Sighhh.

About TWY, I am glad you are enjoying this drama. Like you, I am just enjoying the life of the couple and their development - how they will love and understand each other without emphasizing too much where the plot will bring me.

I felt so put off by the male lead. He's so horrible and so full of himself. I guess I've maxed out my tolerance for jerk male leads who are actually softies underneath it all (aka Tsundere). Let the emotionally available and decent male leads win the girls!

Still I'll be sticking with the show for Kim Seul Gi! She's so talented. Sigh, I wish for her and Kang Ha Neul to be in a drama tgt, as the lead couple of course. Heck I'd even watch it if they were platonic buddies.

OMG, that's a dream pairing I didn't know I want to see!

I never thought of that pairing either! Up till i watched the happy together episode with them both. Gosh so so sweet and cute. If they ever do star together, please don't let it be kang ha neul in a tsudere role.

Ho-gu's Love :-) On the downside, it also has quite a problematic gay plot line, but it is a lovely underdog story.

Oh kimi ni todoke! I read the manga and watched bits of the anime. Besides the lead otp, i adore ryu and chizu! And nah, we're never too old for our hobbies. I rewatched ouran high school host club recently and loved it just the same. No ragrets.

I'm so with you on the sincerely sweet and nice guys winning the girls! Does the Weightlifting Fairy couple count? Joon hyung was always so sweet to Bok Joo!

I watch it because of Kim Seul Gi but it is agg.re.vat.ing.
I don't understand how everyone can just tell her that she is ugly with no guilt - this is a nightmare situation for me (apart from the fact that KSG is not ugly - or is she by korean standards?)

But I do like it for the theme of outer beauty and self worth.

I'll watch it to see how it ends, because I actually hope that the best friend will put the ring on her and just sees her as herself, that would be romantic.

I recently started two drama

1) Super Family 2017 -anyone watching this? This drama is so good. I am already at the latest episodes. At first I thought it is aired on cable, because it giving some cable drama's vibe. I was surprised to see it by SBS. I wish this drama is on weekend slot instead. Not something extraordinary, it is family drama consist rhe stories of parents & their high school daughter. But it is definitely different the normal weekend drama. If you are looking slice of life drama, this one probably for you. And the daughter really looks like Kim Ji Won (not only face, but tje way she speaks lol). I thought she was her sister at first.

2) I started randomly on I Love My President Though He is Psycho (a chinese webdrama) because of the title lol. This drama is nowhere near to perfection from acting and the plot is quite illogical. But something made me want to contonue to watch this. Kinda give CITT (because the hero is psycho. but hero in this drama 100 times weird and psycho than Jung Sunbae lol) + Fifty Shades of Grey (because the hero + heroine kinda in master-servant relationship ). I am looking forward to see next epi, and 10 epi in total not something hard to do.

@chanelboy Are you around? I missed your question last week on Empire of Gold. Hee sorry. Do you still need the answers? ?

Clearly I posted my comment above too fast that I didnt check the spelling, grammar etc Lol. ?

I have never heard of Super Family 2017 but a quick check with wiki and Park Hyuk-Kwon's name showed up. Now, I am interested. I just love Gil Tae Mi in Six Flying Dragons so much.

He is one of among the versatile actors that I love. In this drama, he is a nice husband and father, you will find him always trapped in the middle between his wife and daughter (both are quite short temper lol). But I found him so cute when he is trying to find ways to communicate with his daughter lol.

I cannot help to share this. The Secret Garden parody during the last few seconds in this video - that scene still famous until today. lol. One more thing that really cracked me up - whenever it shows they are watching drama on tv, the casts are always him and his wife ?? All kind of genre though. hahaha.

You are right about him being versatile. He's been in so many dramas and never disappoints.

Bummer. The president one sounded so strange from its title, I'd definitely have given it a try. (actually maybe, I've noted recommendations for Chinese dramas but not seen any yet)

This drama feels so wrong but I cannot help to continue watching it. Maybe because it is just 10 episodes. If it is 20 episodes or longer maybe I won't watch, because to wait for one episode each week quite a torture.

Star of the Universe is by far the best out of 3 if not the most popular. There's a reason. Its from the Creator of Splash Splash Love and it shows. Also, Ji Woo, somebody cadt her in a show, that girl is leading lady material yet underrated.

Ji Woo. I wanted to see her headline in a 16 or 20-epispde drama too. Someone please give her a big break. I feel like she have more potential in her that is yet to be unveil.

I also love The Universe's Star among the three mini-mini series. It is set on a fantasy world but it relay the message of reality quite well.

yo
ha, so you already have daylight savings time and I was nearly late ha

we are having a "rainy season" here. It has been raining since wednesday evening nonstop. as a gardening hopeful, I am just keeping my eye on the forecast.
having an argument with my employer. doing workshops I prepare them like lessons, do research, then teach - it is teachers´ work, and by the new law museum workers who teach have to get equal salary (should be 1300). But I get nearly half less. So I am a bit grumpy and gloomy at work and I probably scared around 42 latvian children into hibernation. I just try to talk reason and show them what I am actually doing - that´s not just "customer service!" I have 2 degrees goodness sakes. This is Estonia for you, folks. People who illegally cut public forest from a natural reserve earn 18 000 a month and dont even pay taxes. I earn 600 and donate 400 a year for charity, and I am the bad person - cause I remind my employer that laws do exist? A teacher should get a teachers´ salary, don´t you think?

Today: Textile Artist of The Year awards and exhibition if I can make it (have to remember to buy flowers!) and high schools´ 105th anniversary. Not sure yet if I am going - it appears only 3 people from my class can come. But if I don´t go, they´ll be just 2...

anyway, dramas... I have been very inconsistent and watching bits of this and that. I had too much on my mind and got home at 11pm every day so I just fell asleep as soon as I started watching. then of course i see the continuation of the drama in my dream, and it is pretty bizarre. Like, Ji Sung attacking the prosecutor while riding an elephant.
also, the dramas got all entangled and formed their own montage in my mind. Like a drama cocktail

QUESTION based on this: what dramas would be much better mixed together than separately? What scenes would you pick and what is the story they would tell?

This reminds me. There was a article talking about recent drama trends with mixed genres like Do Bong Soon, Perfect Wife- Is it romcom, Is it suspense? Like Do Bong Soon, would it be better if they just made it romcom, rather than adding creepy kidnapper story?

why arent people replying...

I also started on Strong Woman Bong Soon and what I like most are dialogues. it is starting to appear more plausible too that superstrength. I liked the chopstick through the table. that ledvel of super seems believable. but the thrwing guys does not. the latter is like #we need to make the viewer believe she is strong so she has to fight MEN." Like a woman has to defeat a man to be seen as strong? what about on her own? The chopstick was that - just the force in her hand, no gender battle.

love the sweaters. updated my Korean Drama Sweaters Pinterest board with pictures from WFKBJ, SWDBS, LotBS and SS&M and Goblin, but the sweater pictures I found were way small.

I should follow this sweater pinterest board, the sweaters in dramas are always interesting(Lee min ho FTW!). And yeah I didn't expect her to throw so many men around or put so many in the hospital. Lol but, I guess it goes along with the suspense and min hyuk's family having gangster background.

<what dramas would be much better mixed together than separately?

What about "Vampire Prosecutor" and "Two Weeks", where the gangster's assassin is a vampire and the investigating prosecutor is the titular character? Tell me Chang Tae-san desperately trying to elude 'L' wouldn't be awesome - you can't, because it would be super-awesome.

So I just finished watching Que Sera Sera and found out that young Eric is totally a hottie. His acting and chemistry with the leading lady is beyond words. I can't believe their chemistry could be more than Eric-Seo Hyun Jin's chemistry in Another Miss Oh. It was mixed of hot, cute, frustrated and forbidden desire. I can say Eric has potential as a great actor after watching Que Sera Sera. he should take more challenging roles like this. I though he just good at kissing but Que Sera Sera proved me wrong.

I loved Eric in Discovery of Romance, too.

His performance moved me to tears despite how unlikeable that character is. That said a lot of his talent and potential. Indeed he should take up more challenging roles.

Happiness is when you get a friend hooked on K-dramas! In that spirit, its been a good couple of weeks. I got my friend to watch Page turner at a sleepover which made her willing to give a full-length drama a try. I thought I'd suggest Solomon's perjury/age of youth, you know baby-steps. But she was intrigued by Goblin's storyline and well... Gong Yoo just made my task so much easier :D. I am happy to report she's slowly making her way through Signal and is more than eager to watch Coffee Prince.
I thought I'd share this in a community that would understand the simple joy of having someone who you can get you gushing/squeeing at your laptop screen while watching content in a language thats not even spoken in your country. But it was not suee-worthy moments that k-dramas provide that actually got her hooked, it was the fact that we ended up having quite a few philosophical discussions after watch Goblin. Case in point was when Butterfly God/Dok Hwa tells are lovely duo that he merely asks humans questions and you are free to answer it the way you choose. Kinda like Dumbledore's famous quote about our choices reflecting who we are. This and many other poignant scenes in this drama made it special for me in spite of its varied flaws. This for me is the reason I watch K-dramas over serials from my country (India). The issues tackled are varied enough that you get light-fluff for times when you want to de-stress, moving renditions of youth and challenges they face to dramas that can get you thinking about human nature and spirituality! And then of course the trope filled dramas that I love to hate on cause its so much fun!
P.S Next couple of weeks look to be a hectic work-wise. Any suggestions on short run time dramas? I've just picked up Thumping Spike and would welcome any suggestions :) Happy Weekend <3

I got a conductor -friend hooked on I Can See Your Voice! He is pretty amused by how off most of the guesses are. I showed another colleaggue, but she said she wishes there were more older participants. hmm. idea.

❤️❤️❤️ this! I am having a kdrama watching party in a couple weeks where I hope to hook 3 friends on Gong Yoo--I mean, kdramas--by screening the first episode of Goblin as well.

I've been trying for years to get my friend's hooked...

I read the news Kang Ha Neul will cameo in Bride of Water God. Too bad he will only cameo, but if his cameo will be something like Jo Jeong Seok did in LOTBS, I will be fine. ?

I like KHN a lot! He's the best thing in Moon Lovers although his character was...enough said.

I always forget how young he is. I think he's an actor to be reckon with in time to come.

He is 27/28 this year but I will say despite of not many drama he has done and not even a main lead yet, he is one of the great actors in 20s.

i am happy if he choose to be active in chungmuro, because drama offers may not always be interesting choices. I wish he can get to act with Jung Yumi, because he said in one of his interviews that JYM is his idol. hee.

Hi Everyone! ....... Time for Open Thread once again! ....... I hope you are all doing well today!

Watched this week:

Defendant - Up to episode 8. Oh my goodness, the twists and turns!

Night Light - "I'm going to stop you." ...... "You won't win." ...... Repeat. For. 19. episodes. That's basically this drama in a nutshell. ...... But I've been watching this anyway.

Chief Kim - Seo Yul fought off those bad guys and he didn't even mess up his hair! *giggle*

Perfect Wife - Seriously didn't expect to be this intrigued by this drama. ..... So many questions! ..... It is certainly quite interesting.

Strong Woman Do Bong-soon - Watching in bits and pieces. Up to episode 4.

That's all for now. ....... Everyone take care and have a great Friday!

The ship is sailing this week - who will have known the first kiss in this drama will be between Chief Kim and Seo Yul? lmao.

I noticed Myung Seok got more screentimes lately and I am very happy for it! I think the PD and writer are aware Myung Seok is the new break out star in this drama and viewers love him. hee.

The more he spending time with Chief Kim, the more he becoming like Chief Kim.lol.

Is Myung Seok the chaebol son?

I finally watched my first episode of Chief Kim starting from ep 5, I noticed this very funny guy although his scene was short.

He's good, isn't he? I haven't seen him in anything before.

Dong ha? Yes, he's interesting. He played Yong-jae, the Choi son in Empire of Gold who dies from asthma in prison. He's so different in Chief Kim it took me a while to remember where I'd seen that mouth before.

I also just remembered he was in one or two episodes in Empire of Gold. I need to see him in Last and Three Days, because people said he played different characters in these two drama.

Yes! He is the chairman's son.

Sera The Ms Temper -

Ha! That cheek kiss!

Was that a stunned look on Seo Yul's face?

Hahaa. The kiss cheek. I think he was stunned with it. How I wish it was not actually in the script and they ad lib it. haaaa.

I am so done with him and Chief Kim this week. Namgoong Min probably is having lot of fun acting in this drama.

Sera The Ms Temper -

You know, that's what I first thought when that whole scene played out, that it was improvised and not in the script.

Who knows. ..... All I know is that it worked, just like pretty much everything else in this drama.

Yes, Yul's reaction also was so funny.. I cannot wait what Gwang Sook's task, I hope something to do with Yul lol.

Gwang Sook's scene when Chief Kom explaining about what isaudit, and accounting fraud was also funny. heh. Poor girl when Chief Kim lost himself because GS keeps asking him about this and that. lol. If Sang Tae is not around, maybe I will ship Myung Seok and Gwang Sook ?

Technically Myung Seok got the first kiss from Director Chu a few episodes ago. :D But this week's kiss was gold. I had to rewatch it a few times to appreciate Chief Kim's 'surprise!' face and Seo Yul's blank moment of horror.

Myung Seok is just the best. I replayed his scene in the warehouse a few times...Who am I kidding. I basically rewatched both episodes this week. They were so good!