Open Thread #492

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

It’s week seven for me on the OT, and I really thought I had lost my Kdrama credibility this week. I’m still new to this, and hadn’t watched anything this week Kdrama related. Has anyone here done this? However, my trusty side-kick husband “made” me see the 15th episode of Goblin yet again Wednesday night. Phew!

The other thing we saw that night was Disney’s live- action Beauty and the Beast which was lovely, and lovelier with Dan Stevens’ singing. He might just supplant Gong Yoo and be my cure…I ended up watching several interviews of him afterwards. But who am I kidding??? Goblin is still my go-to drama now. It doesn’t help that my good Korean friend (and former Miss Korea contestant) is screening Goblin, episode 1, next Friday night with the Korean association at our local university, and that I will be doing the same thing the week after at my house with several friends who are intrigued with my obsession.

So how did my husband save me from losing my credibility?

Me: *lying down, ready to sleep, when I hear that distinctive, haunting “Round and Round/Never Far Away” theme emanating from the other side of the bed*
“What are you doing?”

Husband: *lying with his back towards me, so that I’m unable to see what’s in front of him.*
“Nothing. Trying to go to sleep.”

Me: *rolling towards him, peaking over his shoulder* “Which episode are you watching? 15?”

Husband: “Is there any other episode?”

Me: “Haha, not really.” *grabbing the phone from him, making him roll over onto his back*

Husband: “That’s totally rude, you don’t grab a phone from someone!”

Me: “You do if Gong Yoo is on screen.” *Husband let’s my rudeness slide.*

*Both of us watching some favorite scenes together, getting to the part where Eun Tak regains her memories, crying in front of the Christmas shop after blowing out yet another candle.*

Me: “Hey, did you hear that she broke up with her boyfriend?”

Husband: *speaking incredulously* “How would I know that? And why would you interrupt the best part of this episode?”

Me: “Sorry…”

Husband: *while watching the kiss* “Wait, so is she dating Gong Yoo?”

Me: “I don’t know, I didn’t watch the whole YouTube video.”

Husband: “That’s great, remind me to get all my credible tabloid news from YouTube.” *takes phone to try to find out why Kim Go Eun broke up with her boyfriend*

Moral of the Story: Ha! We are all tabloid-holics, and Kdrama addicts, even my logical husband.

Omg, I wanna be you when I grow up! Too many perfect things in one post. <3 Your love for Goblin, your HUSBAND'S love for Goblin (husband goals!), him putting on his fave ep in hopes that you'd watch with him (me with my family, but most of the time they're not that interested which is so devastating) and just pretty much how many more opportunities you get to share Goblin with everyone in your life. I'd LOVE to see it on a huge screen, too! Anyways, I can only hope that my future husband will share the same passion I have for K-dramas and re-watch fave Goblin eps with me. Haha. I always find myself wanting to go back to the show and my fave scenes because it's just so lovely.

And of course, the reason for the breakup was the one and only "busy schedule causing distant in relationship" excuse. Is there any other reason?

Seems to be that is the most common reason. lol When Lee Dong-gun broke up, I had slight suspicion and yes he dated with his co-star in Tailor shop.

It's definitely the go-to reason for most celebrity breakups. I came across a "we got back together" post not too long ago about a celebrity couple that I don't remember the names of, but someone left a funny comment: "I guess their schedules weren't too busy after all." Haha!

I have a whole discussion I'd like to have about celebrities dating and marrying other celebrities and still trying to work full time. It just doesn't work. If I could give relationship advice to all my favorite actors/actresses, I'd say to marry a "normal person" like a teacher or if you want another actor/actress, put your career on hold--like Won Bin.

Kim Ji-Hoon is hot af. Is all I'm gonna say.

Happy Friday!

You are right. I read that he will have new drama, the one which casted Seohyun and Ji Hyun Woo earlier.

Totally agree he is so hot iam watching Jung bori is here right now and he is totally slaying I can't get enough of his silly expressions. I wonder why he is so underrated he is much better than most actors whom are popular nowadays. If you need somebody to fangirl with you over Kim ji hoon I'll. More than happy to join you ?

He was so freaking fine in Stars Falling from The Sky! I also had to force myself not to stare at his lips all the time in Joseon X Files.

I'm pretty bummed he's not acting in any prime time drama lead roles after returning from the army :(

STARS FALLING FROM THE SKY not only has Kim Ji-Hoon, but Shin Dong-Wook as well. I'm a big fan of SOUL MATE. ;-)

Does anyone know if the Hong sisters are planning a new drama? Really miss their brand of wacky but heartwarming rom coms!

I also forgot to ask this questio ,Hong sisters are my favorite writers and i miss them a lot so i am also curious about their next project.

Hi everyone,I finally watched Oh my ghostess this week and i am kinda not satisfied with the ending lol i think the ghost didn't really get a happy ending which i know was impossible but i was still hoping for it also Chef's sister's ending was not really a happy ending either.Overall it was a good drama started out fun got a little slow around episode 10 and then it got fun again after they started to explore the villain..i miss Shin So Ae(The ghost) so much and i liked Na Bong Sun better when she was possessed.

The show didn't explore deeply the relation between Chef-nim and the normal Na Bong Sun so I was also quite confused at the end. The ghost was charming and out going and it helped developing an actual relationship with Chef-nim but kinda overshadowed the one with Na Bong Sun which should have been given more time.
Chef's feelings were never explained in my opinion. He was just conflicted for a moment but it felt like he fell for the ghost.

Well, it was a great show but a confusing one.

^^ If you miss her go take a look at queen of the ring, it's a three episode show with KSG as lead with the second lead from splash splash love. Honestly it's high time seul gi gets a lead role but who knows how long we have to wait till that happens. And I agree with you btw on the ghost not getting full justice.

Queen of the Ring - yassss..

I don't mind Kim Seul Gi in small doses, the story is tight without much fillers. Yoon So Hee seems kind wooden here.. can't figure out what's wrong. anybody else watching?

I watched it but I didn't find her YSH wooden, I found the male lead wooden in the first episodes but he was okay later.

It's cute drama although I didn't like how she kept saying that she's ugly and complaining about her looks. I known that the main idea that pretty things from outside doesn't mean its good but it was delivered in a wrong and disturbing way.

Omg, I guess he WAS in Splish Splash with her, huh? I remember him! He was cute! I still haven't checked out the last two eps, but I thought it was definitely a fun first ep. I came across comments that the lead in Queen of the Ring isn't likeable because he's such a jerk, but I hope he's not that bad... he wasn't that bad in the first ep. Anyways, I should really finish it...

Its actually more than 3 episodes coz I'm on the sixth episode.

I would like to ask for suggestion tho.

I am going to quit my job in a few months time to get a Master degree. Have you guys ever done it before? I am in my early 30s, so it's a bit late. But, I feel like my job is going nowhere and it impacts my social life. Thanks!

It is not too too late for everything. I am sure you have done some thinking before making this decision so I wish you good luck! I am thinking to further my study too in near future. Initially I thought I want to get married but things don't always go as we planned, so I am thinking to further my study because I always wanted to do so.

@Sera and Diene - go for it. I quit my job at 24 (relatively young I know) to pursue my masters abroad for a year. Best decision of my life... Maybe not.

But I had a great year in London, met some amazing people, made good friends and really got such a wide perspective on life. On the downside, it was an expensive year and I'm not sure my degree is any good but for a shiny CV.

If you are in humanities, I'd say pick a school where you'll make good connections, be able to network.

@Sera - sorry your marriage plans didn't work out. Life is tough. My love life has been all about movie/drama fueled hopes for a grand romance that is yet to appear.

Thanks @Greenfields ?. In life we can never predict what we will do in the future. About my marriage plans, fortunately we ended things coolly. We both love our ownselves a bit too much that we rarely spent time together - we spent more time on works, friends and our ownselves. When we realized we no longer have a will to continue with marriage, and possibly no more love, we just ended things in the best way we can. Luckily we just planned it, but not start with a serious plan yet. hee. Now like you I am enjoying my lovelife with drama and movies lol.

Thanks for sharing Sera. I really like the matter-of-fact way you can talk about it.

Let's hope the future holds k-drama lead material men for the both of us!! ^_-

@Sera, best of luck for the future!! Relationships frighten me. I'm enjoying love life with movies and TV and books, for now!!

Agree...I have heard from my seniors that having job experience and then doing masters will give you more advantage in learning( you have real time experience) and job opportunity than doing master right after graduating (which I did)... Age is not the matter.. you can meet new people and get new experience... Go for it if you feel like it.. life is too short to have regrets..

@Diene - forgot to mention, my class had people in their 50s and 60s. One of my closest friends was/is a woman in her early 50s (and I was 24 then).

So, age is not a problem. Go for it.

Yes age doesn't matter when it comes to learning. I also used to have seniors in their 50s and 60s in my class.

Thank you! Actually I have made up my mind but it's just complicated. Giving up a job that I have been doing for the past 7 years is not easy.

Yes! Go for it. I also quit my job at 25 to pursue a graduate degree. The job that I had was pretty okay and it paid really well, but it's totally opposite to what my major was in undergrad, and as time passed I didn't feel challenged anymore with what I was doing and I felt like my brain cells started to die one by one if I continued with what I was doing. heh.

I'm having great time so far and I don't find anything boring at all. Also I've had the chance to meet some great people and I can widen my network. I do get more stressed every time I think about graduating and publishing paper though - but I think that is always the case for anyone who are on their final year. And I'm still unsure about what I'm going to do after I graduate, but I have decided to worry about that later... :)

I'd say go for it!!
I am currently having Master in Netherlands (and left the job I have which was more like an internship thing than real job) and I have really great time here. The workload is shitty but the chance to broaden knowledge on the specific topic in my field & knowing some amazing people along the way is truly worth it.

No matter your decision is, I hope you have a great life ahead and if you do decide to pursue Master, have fun and don't mind the age! It's never too late to learn :)

I am actually doing to Neds also! Ha! Such a small world!

Diene -

It's never too late to acquire new knowledge!

Wishing you the best of luck in your academic endeavors!

If you have already made up your mind to do it, then go for it, it is always worth to follow your interests especially if you are stuck in a rut. <3 <3
However, there are a few things that you would need to think before you would start your course, this

1. Is your Masters something in the field that you are very interested in? Getting back into academia after doing a job can be a little choppy at the beginning (unless you had already worked in an academic setting), so only the love for your field of study will hold you up during the period of "transition"

2. Are you going to a foreign country for your degree?If this is a transition from eastern region of the world to the western hemisphere, bear in mind that you might be in for a cultural adjustment as well!

3. How long will the Master's study take? Some courses are generally set for 1-2 years, but there are some courses that will allow upto 4 years to complete.If it is going to take more than that, then at the end of your graduation you will also essentially be competing in the job market with graduates who have done a PhD. Furthermore, the age limit will also be a factor as there will be younger people with the same (or higher) qualification.

4. If you are in an exclusive relationship, a good discussion with your other half is essential. A Master's is relatively a short term commitment compared to a doctoral study, but still it can be pretty intensive and it can have an impact on your relationship.

5. Money matters: Money to cover the living costs. You may have to practice a bit of frugality if your monthly stipend is going to be less than what you earned from your job:(

Sorry these suggestions sound a little gloomy, but these are some of the things I personally experienced when I quit my job (of 4 years) to do a 1 year Masters overseas-then came back to work for 2 years, then quit again to follow a PhD. And I'm in my mid 30's. However, I have no regrets and every moment in my studies was worth it :)

Good luck to you<3 <3 <3

Thank youI have actually thought about all your points ?.My nationality is from somewhere in Asia, but I have been working in Europe for quite sometimes.

Great! I hope you will finish your thesis soon! Good luck!

Aja Aja fighting! I assume you can't do your Master's while you are working? Because in my case, I was able to get reimbursement from my company.

I would like yo take a break from work. It has become too negative. The working environment is not that great at the moment.

I found my new love this week. ? Kim Dong Wook as Dr Seo Hyun in Radiant Office is so cute and his smile melted my heart.lol. I have watched him in few projects before like Coffee Prince, Maids and The Concubine, and I know he is a great actor. But never thought he is quite charming maybe because his roles were quite serious ones ? But in Radiant Office, I am falling for him? I think maybe bonus part is he is a doctor lol.
So I am checking his other drama where he was the main lead, and I found Riders-Catch Tomorrow. How did I miss this drama though. I watched first epi and I think I will be OK to continue to watch, since it is just 12 epi anyway and so many great and underrated actors in this - Kim Dong Wook, Lee Chung Ah, Choi Min (Mr Bodyguard cum Secretary in Cinderella and 4K), Yoon Jong Hoon ( Kang Yina's bestfriend in Age of Youth) and Choi Yeo Jin. So even the plot is so-so I am going to watch just for these casts. ?

My dramalist :

Chief Kim : TQ Psychopath + Gluttonous Sociopath finally are joining forces. The ending of epi 18 is like Goblin and Grim Reaper because you cannot choose which one is hotter. lmao. The amount of kisses too? Sad that it will end next week but it will be definitely in my re-watch list. Namgoong Min should win at least Top Excellent if not Daesang, Junho should win Best Actor and yes Best Couple for these two? Dong Ha should win Best New Actor. About time he receives some recognition.

Radiant Office : My trio babies made up? I need more Ho Won - Mr Doctor moments ?

Wait what? There's smoochies in Chief Kim?! I didn't there were any couples in this show!!

Hahaha I haven't seen the latest episodes but I can guess between whom -_^

Ahhh sorry for spoiling it ??

Seriously if I have a chance I want to be at Chief Kim's filming site. They look like they are having lots of fun.

LOL. No official couple but more like love-hate relationship ?

LOL that's exactly what I said, out loud, as I read:"KISSES? Who's kissing???"

Haha, the kissing in Chief Kim is not your regular smooching, and there is one very reluctant receiver of kisses.

@Sera, I am glad we don't have to fight. You take Dong Wook, I'll take Suk Jin. But I must say my heart did waver a bit, Dong Wook has one of the loveliest smile I've ever seen. I was wondering where has this fine man been in my drama watching life?

Suk Jin is as bristly as usual but in small moments when his character reveals his marshmallow heart, I get right back on his side :D

LOL. Suk Jin is Mr Meanie but he is not a total jerk. I dont mind seeing him doing similar roles, because he is at his best playing this kind of jerk role. He was kinda cute in Legendary Witch but when he plays nicer guy, he becomes a bit boring imo. So I am OK watching him as Me Meanie. He is definitely a boss that you will hate at the office but cannot hate him totally because he is handsome and hot? Let's wait what will happen to our Trio next week. haha.

Dong Wook is cute and babyface, he is not that active in drama though. He needs to do more drama in the future.

Sera The Ms Temper -

Regarding Chief Kim, I'm glad they're joining forces also! It had to happen, right?!

Your "hotter" comment about episode 18 has me intrigued because I haven't watched the episode yet. ..... Now I'm really curious! :)

Ahhhhh..Chief Kim seriously messes with my brain with those smooches and fist bumping and the scooby gang!
I literally had a nose bleed at the end of ep18. Very fine and sharp looking gentlemen there I say!!!!

heh it had totally Goblin moment there. Nam is great, but still top award should go to Ji Sung (well for all stations)

Ji Sung will get it at SBS Award, Nam can get it during KBS award ?

Hi Beanies !

It's my first commenting even if i've been reading comments for one year (English is not my first language so sorry for making mistake)

I began watching Seoyoung, My Daughter because of Lee Bo Young and Lee Sang Yoon's future drama and surprise : Park Hae Jin (one of my many drama crushes) is also there !

I suddenly felt energized to marathon this long drama

Park Hae Jin is also in East of Eden with big hair. I totally didn't recognize him the way he looks now.

East of Eden is actually on my to-watch list !
I first saw him in the variety show Family Outing and didn't recognized him in dramas, haha.

He is not that much different, though imo. It is just he is getting older and hotter lol.

True he gets hotter as time passed but isn't it the case for every actors ?

LOL you are right. ?

I definitely agree with PHJ getting older and hotter, Sunbae. He's one of my on screen guilty pleasures. ???

I cannot wait to see Man To Man, Hoobae! Watching teasers just made me hyped - I smell a lot of bromance ?

and he is super awkward in family outing but his handsome best..

So, i was watchng an episode of Hapy together.. and this lady goes..

" Korea in general has very good looking men"...

and i was like.. ya, now you know god is a girl with a huge heart for handsome leading heroes of kdrama..

My Daughter is among my favourite weekend drama. You will enjoy your time watching this. ?

If possible hopefully Lee Bo Young and Park Hae Jin will reunite in the same project in the future.

I'm only on episode 7 and already addicted !
I want LBY and PHJ to act as lovers in a new project.

Yes I can see them as a couple. Hopefully in the future.

I am currently watching daily drama I am Sorry Kim Nam Goo, and the second male lead looks like Park Hae Jin a bit. Previously I keep thinking he looks like someone but I couldn't figure who. heee.

It’s my first commenting even if i’ve been reading comments for one year (English is not my first language so sorry for making mistake)

Yay! Welcome to the conversation. :)

I finished "Endless Love/Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms" this past week. I'm so sad...what am I going to watch now. Having major withdrawal...I LOVED it. So so good. I have never seen Mark Chao in anything but man..he such a hottie and such good chemistry between the leads!

Anyone watching any good Cdrama lately? Doesn't have to be Wuxia....

Have you seen Love Me if You Dare? Not exactly a new drama but it was good. I lost count how many times I've repeated that drama.

When A Snail Falls in Love is good too. I am waiting for Memory Loss to be subbed, for now only 6 epi were subbed.

Where do you watch Memory Loss ?

Kissasian. Dramacool has all 36 epi of Memory Lost but only 6 epi were subbed. sighh.

I really wonder if there weren't licensing issues regarding Memory Lost, since neither Viki or DramaFever picked it up. It loos pretty good, and I am disappointed that it hasn't ended up being subbed anywhere.

@Sera

I have seen "When a Snail Falls in Love" - great show!!

Memory Loss I have not seen it being updated with subs lately, hence a little hesitant to start it (the worst is watching and never seeing the ending bc of stopped subs!)

Hi!

Yes I have!! And LOVED it...Wallace is so gorgeous...I'd say he's my first love in the Cdrama realm LOL

I'm seconding Love Me if You Dare, that's a great one. I also watched Down With Love (Taiwanese) and Mars (also Taiwanese) and loved those two.

If you want another Wuxia (which I have really learned to appreciate recently) I love General and I, although I'm only about 20 episodes into it. ^^

There was the day I was obsessed with Love Me If You Dare, lol.. One day will rewatch it, when I am in drama slump. ?

I started General and I but wasn't quite feeling it, maybe I'll have to go back and check it out again!

Do! I really like it, although I fast forward through some of the uber political stuff (I'm not a super fan of the second lead).

Mark Chao is definitely hot especially with a beard.

You can try:
The Princess Wei Young - Total girl power.
Love 020 - Fluff. Easy watch. Yang Yang is a total eye candy.
Love Me If You Dare - Procedural/Suspense/Thriller. The main lead is also a hottie.

Can you see a pattern? ? Chinese dramas can sometimes be draggy, I need eye candies to glue my eyes to the screen. Kidding aside, I've noticed that Chinese dramas have greatly improved. I've been binge watching Cdramas lately because of my kdrama slump and it's not as bad as before.

Haha, I really enjoy long dramas - I love how we get SO much time to build the world and its characters but you are right, it can drag sometimes.

I've seen Love 020 (most of it at least, I don't know why I dropped it eventually), also Love Me If You Dare (one of my faves!)…Princess Wei Young I have not seen, I will add it to my list! Thanks!

You are welcome. Within the last two months, I've been on Cdrama land. I still have a few shows I've finished but I am hesitant to recommend them. Anyway, if you have extra time and want to check them out, here's some of the not-my-top-recommendable ones ?, watch at your own risk:

Pretty Little Hui Zhen - Chinese version of She Was Pretty. It's basically the same storyline but I love Diralba, so I finished it even if I know what's going to happen next.
Boss and me - I hate the female lead character and that makes it a struggle for me to finish this one but I eventually did.
My Amazing Boyfriend - is weird. Hahaha. They say it's an adaptation of You From Another Star. Not.

Yes to everything! Chinese dramas are really stepping up their game. They're longer than Taiwanese dramas but I still find the former easier to watch than the latter.

Princess Wei Young kind of lost its magic at the second half but it's my first historical C-drama so I still love it lol

Haven't finished Love Me if You Dare (18 out of 24) but I like it! However, the same team's When a Snail Falls in Love was more of my cup of tea.

I was skeptical with Love O2O at first because hot damn, 30 episodes for a romance drama? But no, this has got to be one of lightest dramas I've watched.

The only drama I'm watching right now is Master Devil Do Not Kiss Me (yes, I'm on a K-drama slump). I've been wanting to watch Eternal Love but I don't think I'm ready to commit to its 58 episodes lol

I've also watched When A Snail but I prefer Love Me If You Dare. ?

I am also currently watching Master Devil Do Not Kiss Me and I Love My President Though He Is A Psycho. Kdrama slump at its finest.

Eternal Love is worth (nearly) all its 58 episodes. Except for one episode, the drama is not draggy at all, unlike many others. It is more romance than wuxia. The best news? Eternal Love helped me get over Goblin.

Your name reminds me of a fruit! ?

Wonder which episode you are talking about? :P

Oh but it's 58 episodes of pure awesomeness!!! They flew by!

Kay ~

Have you seen Wu Xin: The Monster Killer ? If not, give it a try. Season 2 should be showing sometime later this year.

Ooooh, I have not! I will definitely check it out!

If you like Mark Chao you could watch "Black and White". It's not a Chinese drama but a Taiwanese though. It's a crime and action drama. But personally I think it is more like a Gu Long wuxia story set in modern time. Lots of birth secrets, secret societies etc. It's really fun to watch. It was a big hit in Taiwan when it aired. You had Mark Chao and Vic Zhou pictures at every corner of Kaohsiung, haha.
It's the only Taiwanese drama I ever managed to finish...

I second this!

The PD was the same guy who directed Mars. I think the way Black and White was filmed was ahead of its time especially in TW. It looked more like a movie than your typical TW drama. Mark Chao and Vic Zhou's bromance was so good, it's a pity they fell out because of the award.

The OSTs of Black and White are very nice too.

Okay, so LOVE Vic Zhou and also MARS is one of my favorite dramas so I definitely have to check this one out!!

I enjoyed Black and White too.

I've been watching a drama called something along the lines of "Because of Meeting You" - it's a remake of Jang Bori.

I'm struggling to catch back up with Father, I'll Take Care of You because... I really hate the people on this show. Aside from a couple kids and the lead couple and like 1 nice cousin I think that the earth should swallow up that whole house. They're TERRIBLE people. It's devolved to about the same level of sniping and in-fighting that got the family sent to hell in comedy-horror movie Krampus. Everyone thinks the world should revolve around them and that their problems are the only problems, the adults are freaking stupid and thoughtless and cruel.

I'm sort of rooting for the bad guy because his entire revenge scheme revolves around giving people enough rope and then they hang themselves.

Bad Guy: Ok I'll introduce you to this investment opportunity. It's high risk and keep in mind you already lost a lot of your family's money in a scam.

Idiot Brother: I could make money. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

I dropped Please Take Care of My Father because of the annoying family members. Even the maknae couple couldn't save it !

This drama is not as bad as Blow Breeze, Blow Breeze was worse. lol. But I understand how you feel, things are moving slowly. The three siblings are truly idiots. I thought the first brother is at least has some brain but no, he is greedy too. ? i wish by this week, Dong Hui knows her identity. Grandma needs to tell her soon, this girl is not a child anymore.

I only watched the childhood part of Blow Breeze and it didn't pull me in. Glad I made a good choice lol. I had faith in the elder brother too but they're not related for nothing.

I also skipped many episodes. It failed to pull me in but I still sometimes watched it. I thought there will be some revenge plot in the middle but nothing. I dont mind to see villain overshado the main lead but in this drama, it was way too much lol.

Blow Breeze had it to make it rights then blew it. It had a good couple that got together too soon and then the show forgot them. But weirdly, it picked up ratings right after I dropped it so maybe family Makjang does have its appeal.

Haha. I don't know, things were way too repetitive. This drama will work better if there was some revenge plot, but they only made the lead girl knows about her identity in the last 2 or 3 episodes.

Yeah I couldn't understand how the former reporter could be so dumb as to get drawn into a penguin farming scheme but someone pointed out he probably sucked as a reporter. Considering he was sitting on a scoop about that major company and didn't use it to get a new job after getting fired... yeah he's just a real idiot. Honestly the parents are terrible. They raised all 3 of their real kids to be spoiled brats and the adopted son is ... damaged. That the dad finally confessed he used to have even more money and was prejudiced and arrogant was a huge improvement but even then I feel like he wasn't sincere when he said he'd done wrong in the past.

I thought the older bro was a bit smarter but no, he is dumb too. Sung Joon is the only good one. But now I just don't know. Maybe he should just leave everyone and go to Donghui. They can get married in secret and living in their own world without anyone's interference.

This would be the ideal ending.

Has anybody seen the new trailer of Man x Man.....I died laughing, the spoofed DOTS.

Yes! Just saw it on Soompi and it was exactly what I needed to get me hyped for the show! Woot woot!

So I've been on a Park Hyung-sik bender recently (it all started innocently, I swear, I just watched him cover True Colors with Lee Sung Kyung, but it all went downhill from there). Anyways, it got me thinking that a lot of Korean celebrities are triple threats. They can sing, they can dance, they can act... I know that this means a lot of hard work, no life, etc etc, but seriously... is there something in the water there???

To be honest, overachievers and multi-talented people are everywhere. Celebrities are in the limelight and therefore more easily noticeable, but if you think about it, you'll realise you know such people personally or of such people in your line of work/study.

Park Hyung Sik is indeed awesome. I'm completely and utterly done for - he's amazing. Plus so gorgeous. How is it possible to live like that? Thank you for your Face.

LOL at "Thank you for your Face".

He IS awesome! I'm kinda ashamed of this little crush for a younger guy but... come on, he's amazing! :)

I think part of it comes from the way the entertainment system is run in Korea (talent agencies grooming bands etc. for a debut), since they want them to be able to make money in multiple markets. And I know it's not uncommon for an actor to switch over the divide completely (Ahem, Lee Jong Suk ^^). I think my favorite Actor-singer discovery was a video of Ji Chang-Wook in concert singing a cover of one of CNBlue's songs (CNBlue is one of my favorite bands). It was beautiful.

and i just assumed koreans genetically are good at singing..

i mean every freaking living organism can play a piano, sing beautifully, and knows about back .. more than i will ever know about the x-men

my Korean teacher says that all Korean babies are born with microphones in their hands ? (Except for her, she's a bad singer).

I like CNBlue, too! :) And I've never seen Ji Chang-wook covering their song... might look it up, but I'm afraid of slipping into another hole of 'oh wow, how amazing, let me just check one more video'... haha
And yes, Koreans do not fool around when it comes to grooming future stars.

CN Blue was one of the first Korean bands I ever listened to, and they're still my favorite. They have a more old school rock than electronic sound, and I really appreciate that. ^^ FT Island, too.

I died watching him cover "I'm A Loner". Two of my favorite things colliding surprised me and made my year!

Finding out Ji Chang Wook could sing made all my many, endless dreams come true. It's like, 'why do you have to be so perfect??'

I thought I was the only one wondering what's running in Han river. Speaking on multi-talented celebrities, I found this beautiful - I mean, BEAUTIFUL - and gorgeous specimen on I can see your voice called Kim min kyu and he's perfect. He's a rookie actor and I think he's most known role was in signal. He played some police officer.

Also on the note of multitalented actors, what does anyone think about So Ji Sub oppa's unexpected music career? I know it's probably old news but he recently released a single (or an album?) and I was forced to remember his dark past. Surprisingly, this isn't bad - his music is bad actually - it's just.. ???

Did you watch him on I Hear Your Voice?? I just finished that episode and I am already a fan!! Had to replay all of his moments!! He looks like a younger, slimmer version of Lee Jae Yoon ( the hyung in Weightlifting Fairy- those dimples!!)

So Ji Sub is/was a rapper right? Lord have mercy!!!

yes... but I have heard, um, interesting things about his rapping skills. Case in point:

As a general rule, So Ji-Sub just intrigues me. Did you know he has a massive collection of Despicable Me minions? I find that rather adorable, actually, and appreciate him for having such a strong sense of self.

I clicked on that link but can't bring myself to watch the videos. I don't think my poor dental makeup is strong enough to withstand the amount of cringing that comes with it, lol.

So Ji Sub is/was a rapper right?

Yeaaaaaaah, no. As in the case of Lee Joon-gi, no damn swag AT ALL.

estonian singers /actors do all things too, but mostly because otherwise there is not enough work. well, there is for singers, but not actors, so many have gigs with bands and host galas and even become reporters for some tv shows. movie-making is on the rise though I guess more work for everyone

Well, we here in Lithuania have our fare share of talents, but overall they seem more one-dimensional. Like, a good singer... and that's it, don't ask too much of him/her!

it is not that we are more talented - we are just more desperate!

Lol

Since we're on the subject of talented actors/singers, I just have to mention 2PM's Junho, who is rocking his role in Chief Kim. I haven't seen an idol take on such a 'grown up', aggressive character, and he's holding his own against established actors like Namgoong Min.

Hi guys,

I was just reminiscing on kdramas I had watched and realized something...... JUMONG...for anyone who has watched jumong you'll notice in the whole 80 episodes, there was NO kiss scene not even one and it got me thinking about other kdramas that are probably like that with no kiss scenes even in scenes you expect a little smooch they gave us NOTHING.

Anyway, if you have an idea why it was like that, please let me know and if you know other dramas without Kiss Scenes like Jumong, pls let me know

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend.

I've noticed this as well. Korean dramas are extremely conservative on certain topics - like sex and skinship, but Korean movies can be quite explicit.

Also, Korean dramas are okay with other things - like violence in Voice (though it's rare to be quite that violent).

What's the deal? Why the difference between Korean TV and movies?

I think the censorship laws might be different for movies than they are for public broadcast channels. I don't really know, but I've definitely noticed the discrepancy too. Violence is fine, even bloody violence is fine--it has to reach a pretty high threshold to be black-and-whited like Voice.

Great point. You are probably right about the censorship laws. I'm still curious about why the laws are that way...

OK, I think I understand a bit, thanks

JUMONG! Lol, yes, it was my first drama and I waited in vain for a kiss - especially since the poster had the almost-kiss between Jumong and So Seo No. You have to watch Kingdom of the Wind (about Jumong's grandson, played by the same actor), to see one tiny kiss.

Personally, I don't need to see kisses etc. to know two people love each other. So I'm fine with more conservative dramas.

At first I was amused/bemused that in Korean dramas even a hug or kiss seemed to inevitably lead to pregnancy (as in Jumong). Nowadays this doesn't always happen, but I was still afraid in Rebel that we might have ended up with a Gil-Dong Jr. early on in the drama. Lol :P

I'm not 100℅ sure but Bad Guys would be one of those shows with no kissing scenes but violence is present though.

And oh. Liar Game.

And Vampire Prosecutor.

there is biting though. is that like base 2 for that drama

there is biting though. is that like base 2 for that drama

Ahahahahahaahaaaaa.

There may not have been kissing, but Kwon Hyun-Sang did sexily lick and drink things. :swoons: He is the sexist bad guy.

Exhibit A: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/16184879885919014/

he is the sexist bad guy

GAH. "Sexiest", not "sexist". Two VERY different things.

Can't really remember vampire prosecutor much since I read only recaps, I haven't watched it yet but it's on my watchlist

Yea, bad guys and liar game had no kiss scene....but there was no main OTP unlike jumong where there was

Thanks for reminding me about those dramas, I should go and rematch them now

rewatch*

Misaeng also had no kissing.

Yi San also has no kiss scenes

Oh, I haven't watched Yisan though I've heard about it.....I'll check it out, thanks

Many Saguek don't have kiss scenes as I remember. Also old Korean dramas don't have kiss scenes. It will be great if someone can find which drama is the first one featuring a kiss scene.

I don't recall any kissing in Misaeng. I could be wrong, but I know it definitely wasn't a romantic drama.

Hi Everyone! ....... I hope you are all doing well today!  I can't believe it's already the Spring season.

I have run out of Open Thread for about an hour, but I'll be right back. Gotta run briefly to do this and that!

Watched this week:

Defendant - Half-way through this. ....... I don't see him too often in dramas, but I have to say that actor Eom Ki-joon is fabulous as the villain here.

Night Light - Wow.  20 episodes building up to a big corporate battle that never materialized.

Chief Kim - I'm so glad Seo Yul didn't eat that (tracker) candy bar! Heh! ...... Still thoroughly enjoying this show.

Perfect Wife - It's super interesting one week, then it gets more interesting the following week and then more so the week after that! What the hell is everyone's deal?

Strong Woman Do Bong-soon - Up to episode 6. ..... When Bong-soon's mom blurted out that the violent kidnapper must not be handsome and therefore that must be the reason he resorts to wearing a mask, it was a little disturbing that the whole violent crime aspect of what's been going on doesn't seem to register with this lady.

That's all for now. ....... Everyone take care and have a great Friday!

+1 on Perfect Wife. I am enjoying this show more and more.

Perfect Wife is so strange and fun! And I love Sung Joon's expressions... and his hair!!