Swearing lessons and high kicks with My Sassy Girl
The rom-com sageuk we’ve all been waiting for, My Sassy Girl, has released its second teaser. It starts with Joo-won’s (Yong-pal) voiceover, as he says: “I’ve met a woman who can move my heart.” He plays a prickly scholar who falls for the ultimate sassy princess, played by Oh Yeon-seo (Come Back, Ajusshi), and quick clips show she’s already gotten him overwhelmed.
They practice Chinese together, and she teaches him a variation on the phrase, “Have you eaten yet?” (Ni chi fan le ma?), but when he repeats it back in the same pronunciation, he realizes that he has just said, “You bastard” in Korean. In the continued voiceover, when someone asks whether he’s found a sweetheart, Joo-won replies: “The woman is not my lover, she’s my enemy.” And you can see why as he struggles to lug her around after a late-night drinking session where she force-fed chicken feet into his mouth.
This high-spirited princess kicks higher than most girls can jump, and challenges anyone who’s brave enough to face her. But despite all her bold shenanigans and tomboyish ways, there’s a soft side to her as she pleas for him to stay after witnessing a horrible scene of a tortured dead man. The last few shots show her much more subdued, and at one point, her eyes fill with tears, and Joo-won ends up making this resolution: “I will protect you, princess…”
Kyaa! I love it already. The previous two pre-produced romance sageuks of the past year haven’t fared too well in ratings (Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo and Hwarang), although both did have some glimmers of brilliance. So I’m hoping that this third time will be the charm.
SBS Monday-Thursday My Sassy Girl will premiere on May 29, following the end of Whisper.
- Drunk princesses, pretty-boy scholars, and assassins in SBS’s My Sassy Girl
- It’s here! The teaser poster for My Sassy Girl
- SBS’s My Sassy Girl lands on the spring schedule
- Sassy princess meets smartypants scholar in SBS’s My Sassy Girl
- Lee Shi-un joins My Sassy Girl as Joo-won’s pal
- Kim Yoon-hye up for second lead role in My Sassy Girl, no casting confirmations yet
- My Sassy Girl’s original leading actress rumored to quit, role still not cast