Open Thread #511

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Happy OT!!! Okay, maybe not that happy ? no more Forest of Secrets boooohooo...no more Yeo Jin, no more Shi Mok! Aigooo...

I wonder why can’t more dramas be like FOS? Even if not everyone is as talented as the team FOS, shouldn’t there at least be some form of quality control in all aspects of making a drama?

If we viewers can spot logic deficiencies in plot, bad script and poor editing, why can’t producers employ a person who can give critical advice to these areas before they roll out the drama to us?

We’d think that big budget and pre-production/more time to film would have solved the problems but the record isn’t all that good. It upsets me because I feel that in giving us dramas of such quality, they have taken the viewers for fools or for granted. I won’t be appeased by fanservice, I just want good if not decent quality dramas.

On another note, why is my fanwall limited to 200 words when I see others writing a thesis on theirs? No, I don't need to write a thesis, I just need a teeny weeny bit more. Maybe 250?

I've the same question with your last paragraph as well! How to unlock the characters limit? Sometimes I just need to write longer, but not to the point that I'll do an essay. Can someone help us with this?

Type up what you want to say and then right click and paste it in the text box! (No Ctrl +V, that doesn't work anymore)

I try not to write overly lengthy posts though, I just use it to stretch the word count a little. Saving my drama theses for the comments section ?

Thank you! Yeah, I too think that lengthy post should be in comments section but there are just times, I want to squeeze in a few more words? Since I am not of the millennial generation, abbreviations or brevity is not my friend ?

I think it really comes down to business strategy. When millions od people watch a drama full of inconsistencies, then it is likely to be replicated. Why fix it if it ain't broke. Look at Goblin and DotS. You think the writer will change her writing style? Of course not.

But there are also people willing to watch dramas like Forest of Secrets. So, the network will try to produce this type of dramas as long as more people are willing to watch and pay for it. So, I'm glad so many of the beanies have shared the love for this.

Cheers to many more!

" Look at Goblin and DotS. You think the writer will change her writing style? Of course not."

I didn't finish Goblin or DotS but it's more of the style which I dislike or have no interest. I am referring more to those which flaws are more fundamental and not so subjective.

Anyway, I'll join in the chorus for more dramas like FOS!

I'll join in the chorus for more dramas like FOS too!! But sadly kdrama producers mainly follow high-rated shows foot steps... FOS rating were decent but not too high...

PPl rave about Goblin, but I fell asleep during EACH episode, so finally dropped. DOTS wasn't great, but liked the actors. Doctors was dulls, but ppl liked that also??? Forest of Secrets, Tunnel, Signal, Bad Guys, 7 Day Queen...these I enjoy!

I kind of like the word count nazi on the fan walls, because it makes me express myself concisely (which is not my strong suit) and then when I browse the beanie fan pages, I appreciate not having to read a novel and just getting snippets of what people are loving at the moment.

I guess that's the intent. Fan walls are like tweets.

At first I thought it would be because live-shooting drama, so due to time constraint they don't have time to give their best efforts on the drama. But it's not that case because even pre-produced drama have the same problem. That could be the reason why some producers move to cable, as I believe cable give them more space and freedom to their work. Another reason, just like some drama viewers who are not that care about the quality of the drama, they might have the same kind of thought too. I think that's why they don't really care to spend their budget to employ an expert for giving advices for eg. Just like you said, they might have taken the viewers for granted.

I'm personally, not very picky as a viewer, as I don't really watch a drama because of quality per se. As long as the main story itself can attract me, I'll watch. Regardless how well made any drama, if I found the story is not my cup of tea and not worth of my time, I won't watch.

Anyway, I agree we need more well made drama like FOS because despite of not really picky on a quality, I really appreciate for more well made drama like FOS because it means the productions are giving their best efforts to serve us with their production. FOS probably is a special case, because having a writer who have expriences as a director might help her to write better as she has two different views; one from writer's view, and another one from director's view and she might also have a say in the directing.

We did learn from dramas like Moon Lovers that pre-produced doesn't guarantee quality production. It's dramas like these which I think have taken their viewers for granted because they had the budget and time to deliver but the outcome is so far from expectation.

There was a time where we can be more assured about consistent quality in cable dramas but it's sadly not true anymore.

I don't start a drama looking for quality as in scrutinizing the editing, plot or directing. I just go for entertainment. I also consider myself not picky. There were a lot of imperfect kdramas which I enjoyed and accepted with their warts and all. However, there is only that much I can accept with logic fails, poor directing and editing. Then I get all rankled.

FOS is special alright but is it too much to ask for something that's just a fraction of its awesomeness?

Sigh. Maybe it's too much, because the best thing won't come frequently/regularly? It needs very good writer, PD, director, ost, and the most important thing is caliber actors/actresses, what else?

My ranking:
Writer
PD/director
editor
actor
ost
I place acting below because 90% of the time, dramas are let down by other than acting. Usually if the acting isn't good then the writing and production aren't as well.

Rarely do we get every single aspect awesome as happened in FOS. It's like those rare phenomenon where stars and planets aligned.

Yet I read yesterday that Moon Lovers is getting a 2nd season...Hope FOS will, but won't hold my breath.

'I wonder why can’t more dramas be like FOS?'-- haha ask the writers! I am all for the critically acclaimed kdramas, except they are so few in numbers. I mean we can literally handpick the dramas which were some of the best. Like white christmas, or nine or liar game or a secret forest.

Silly me. I WANT to post something really long on my wall - haven't yet because I didn't see a way around the 200-char limit.

Haven't tested yet, but it looks like if I put of a short post, there's no 200-char counter when I then REPLY to myself.

Maybe this weekend I'll go crazy.

Just went crazy. The reply trick works. My fan wall has about shiny new characters of rants about kdrama sites.

Maybe I am just finally getting burned out on all the formula dramas, but I am watching a lot less now than I used to. Forest was my last "must watch" drama. Currently only watching Falsify.

Happy Friday, everyone!!

I currently watching Coffee Prince to soothe my nerves after the ending of CDrama Prince Agents, which left me so unbelievably pissed. It's not the ending that has me livid so much as the 60+ hours of my life sacrificed to abysmal storytelling, production, and editing. I kept ignoring the glaring flaws instead of tuning out, hoping it would get better.

Anyway, I'd heard so many good things about Coffee Prince, I decided to give it a try, and it's been the perfect palate cleanser. How could it not be, with Hong Yoo's beautiful self onscreen most scenes :).

Was the ending of Princess Agents that bad?? I'm afraid to finish it

Please don't. Save your time and sanity.

You thought it was that bad, huh? I don't know. As we neared the end, you could kind of tell where everything was leading, so I didn't mind it so much. I was a complete addict for much of the series, so I appreciate that it entertained me for so long. Maybe people were frustrated because it had so much potential? Maybe there wasn't enough romance or character development for some? Or maybe viewers haven't grown accustomed to having their souls crushed at the end of a Chinese historical drama? The heroine was great and the potential suitors were likable. I enjoyed what the show was trying to do thematically. The execution could have been better, but at least the heroine remained an awesome, gravity-defying warrior throughout (ha ha).

I'm watching Coffee Prince too! Although mine is a rewatch =P
It really is an excellent drama

I am re-watching Coffee Prince too but with my sister who is seeing it for the first time. She is loving it.

Oh dear. My sincerest condolences. I dropped Princess Agents around ep 40ish after I found myself fastforwarding through most of the episodes. Arghhh it became too painful to watch with the glaring plot holes, wooden dialogue and tacky costumes. Am even more disappointed because I loved the book and had been so excited to wathc a show with a badass female lead :(

That's funny, because I thought the costumes were pretty flattering.

I just finished Coffee Prince and I loved it. It was exactly what I needed.

I've come to think of C-Dramas much in the same way I do sageuks, to be enjoyed once in a blue moon. I haven't seen this one yet, but by your complaints I'm guessing it runs along the same general C-Drama line.

What really sucks about C-Dramas is that they tend to start off promising and then go to shit. Much of the middle to end is fattened up with flashbacks and frustrating bits which pretty much just results in fast forwarding to save my sanity. Two good recent examples of this were Rush to the Dead Summer and Across the Ocean to See You. The only C-Drama that I've loved start to finish is Love O2O a.k.a. Just One Smile is Very Alluring. These are have modern day storylines as apposed to your historical one here, but the premise is the same.

On to better stuff, Coffee Prince is a seminal work that really deserves much of the praise it gets. It's not perfect, but its damn good. I hope you enjoy it.

I wish there was a rule that required dramas to tell a story concisely. I realize producers are trying to make money by milking a popular show to death, but flashbacks are essentially repeats. They are an incredibly lazy and infuriating way to pad a show. If you can tell a story in 12 episodes, tell the story in 12 episodes.

The creators' tendency to completely sabotage the main characters by the end is another reason Chinese dramas end so badly. Rush to the Dead Summer is a modern example of how to completely destroy characters for no particular reason. I prefer the period version, in which the series has a bit of a Game of Thrones ethic, and the downfall of the main characters has an epic savageness that the circumstances seem to justify. Still, some endings are downright harsh. There's nothing like watching the romantic lead you liked become a tyrant who steams people to death.

I am yet to watch a historical C-drama with a happy ending. I loved Love O2O, was pretty much addicted to it for a while and watched it couple of times within a short span of time.

Happy Friday!

I'm grateful for Forest of Secrets. tvN is still a cut above the rest when it comes to quality drama. It doesn't mean the others are crappy networks. I'm just glad that there is a network that will offer something different and something Koreans can be proud of. Bravo!

I like OCN, too. The cable networks have produced some decent shows.

Hello beanies ?

Since young, I always love to read, especially adventure series. I grew up with Famous Five, Mallory Towers, Nancy Drew and many more. And now that I have two young girls of my own, I do my best to inculcate my love of reading in them. But of course since I rediscover my love of k-drama, my reading somewhat has been affected (does reading recaps count? ?). Recently I had an interesting convo with one of my girls.

Daughter: Mommy, you are a bookworm!

Me: ? *pleased as punch at the compliment*

Daughter: You are also a showworm!

Me: Huh? Come again, showworm?

Daughter: Yes, because you read and know a lot about shows, and watch a lot of shows, so ta-da, you are a showworm!

Me: ???

So to all DB's showworms, have a great Friday and enjoy your OT!

I loved Famous Five! Also the Boxcar Children and Magic Tree House series. It's great that your daughters are reading! I learned so much from books, and it kept me afloat through friend problems at school.

I love Magic Tree House series! Books are the best - you are never lonely with a good book! And the things you learn! Although of course now I learn through beanies' words of wisdom too ?

Hahaha!!! Love this! I can say without question I'm definitely a showworm too! :D

Nice to meet a fellow showworm! ?

That's adorable. Both my kids read voraciously, and I did to, until journals took over my reading. I'm so behind because of being a "showworm." You're daughter sounds like she's going to be a great friend to you someday.

Thank you! I have been blessed with two wonderful daughters and I hope we can be great friends when they are older. But first I must survive their teenage years ?

Omg Mallory Towers! I loved that when I was growing up!
Enid blyton and Roald Dahl were my favourite authors... read everything I could get my hands on.

Now I still read though the books are a bit different...

tonight I just read (aloud) the award winning thriller
We're going on a Bear Hunt;

Acted out the thought provoking classic
Brown bear brown bear, what can you see?

And finished off with the ground breaking narrative
Betsy goes to the doctor

?
Do I still count as a bookworm too? ?

This is too cute, thanks for the sweet giggle from this showworm ?

Aahh.. somehow my reply ended up as a separate comment. Oh well. Reading this thread makes me feel like rereading Mallory Tower and Roald Dahl's short stories again.

It seems like it's only yesterday I was reading the Bear Hunt out loud to my daughters... and now they are into dork diaries and candy series anime. Well, enjoy it while it last, michykdrama! You know what they say about parenting - the days are long but the years are short. Sometimes I just wish they stay 4-5 years old forever haha

Being a horse-crazy kid who's transitioned into a horse-crazy adult, I read the Black Stallion series over and over (four times for each book by the time I was 12), along with anything else horse-related I could find. My love of books has continued to history, especially how single events and/or items affected history. Fun! Books forever and k-dramas!

*waves at rentenmann*

I read everything I could get my hands on by Marguerite Henry (Misty of Chincoteague), and my folks got me King of the Wind for my birthday or Christmas. I read some of Walter Farley's Black Stallion books, but not the whole series, IIRC. Plowed through the Mother of All Horse Books, Black Beauty, too. ;-)

ENID BLYTON lives on !!!!

I grew up with those books in elementary school 45 years ago!
And this summer i was able to get the following from the big marketplace in the sky - big A - for my summer - a total of about 45+ books!
- Naughtiest girl in school series
- Mallory Towers - series
- St. Clare's -series
- Famous Five - series

Hoping to get the Five Findouters, Secret Seven Series later in the year after i have read the above.

finished 2 naughtiest girls book and had a good laugh - those were nice books to grow by/with!

Watching k-dramas every day of the week (and weekend is 2 or 3!) is slowing me down some on the reading front.

I'm always partial to Mallory Towers (vs St Clare's) and Famous Five (vs Secret Seven)... maybe it's time for a re-read!

I devoured the entire Famous Five series back to front at least 5 times as a kid. Ahhh memories.
A showworm haha totally claiming that title I love it.

That's so cute! I also grew up reading Nancy Drew ?I used to have time to read novels before I went to college. But since I've started studying accountancy (then shifted to fine arts), I never got the time to read - and also because books are becoming really pricey nowadays. Watching Kdrama is my only form of leisure during sem breaks now.

Is there any actor whose voice or voice modulations you love!?? ... I find myself unbearably attracted to actors who can infuse a lot of depth in their voice even if i can't see their expressions

jo seung-woo for me, unequivocally. especially in forest of secrets. hehe.

I like Jo Seung-woo voice too. He has such velvety voice (and I think he smokes a lot). Yoo Jae-myung has such a great voice too!

Jo Jung Suk has some of the most incredible expression in his voice while acting that I've ever heard. All his emotional vulnerability is present in his voice. I love watching his dramas because even if I look away from the screen and am only listening I can tell immediately what his expression and emotion is! He is the only actor I've ever watched who could break my heart with just a hitch of his breath or a drop in his vocal tone.

Good one! He's nothing short of amazing.

The man's range--vocal, facial, everythingal--is incredible.

Lee Joon-gi has such a deep voice. I like JIS voice too...

Gong Yoo oppajusshi! Hehe! I'd listen to his narration all day long, even if it were a phone book. Hehe!

He should totally do that cooking instruction video app we were joking about ?
He could just read out the recipes, it would be enough! ???

Loved his voice in Coffee Prince. It seemed so assuring and comforting most times. Speaking of which, I've always loved Lee Sun Gyun's deep rich voice.

Yeo Jin Goo - he's incredibly young, but he put volumes of emotion in his voice alone, in 'Circle' and now in 'Reunited Worlds'. Also, I love how deep his voice is.

Kim Sang-joon - he's obviously The Veteran, and it shows in the way he modulates his voice - be it the loving father in 'Rebel' or the drug overlord-revenge crazy father in 'City Hunter'.

Satoh Takeru - voice modulation and voice itself. ^^ I could listen to him all day. But disclosure: I'm quite biased.

Sato Takeru!!!!! *swoon*

(Sorry I couldn't help it. ? Goes back into hiding)

Ooo fellow Takeru fan! :) <3 *swoons together with* I know! ^^;

Oh yes Kim Sang Joon!
He was full of charisma as Ah Mo Gae the flawed hero. He was a natural born leader despite being born as a lowly slave. I loved listening to his voice especially when he was speaking about his beloved late wife. Full of longing and regret. If ever there was an ahjusshi with a swoon-worthy voice, it would be Kim Sang Joon!

So Ji Sub! Gosh, his deep voice is everything to me!

his anything is everything to me

^ this ?

Han Suk-kyu. A voice actor to begin with and he can also sing.
Love his voice, flexible and expressive and his tone always matches his character's mood.

You can talk to me about him and his voice all the day.

Really he's the king of the voice actors.
No one in k-dramaland equals him

Absolutely. I could listen to him all day, especially in sageuk register.

I also like Lee Won-jong's voice, but not in the sense that I find him attractive because of it. Their scenes together in Secret Door were so much fun for me.

HSK another smoker with excellent voice!!

Jo Jung-seok and recently Jo Seung-woo too. I wonder if it has something to do with their background as a musical actors.

right? i was wondering about this a few days ago too. it can't be a coincidence that they're two of my top three actors in dramaland right now LOL.

I'm surprised no one has said Lee Seon-gyun yet!

Lee Seon-gyun is the ultimate deep voice, The Voice himself. I think the old Dramabeans readers have moved on and this new generation is not very familiar with him. Especially when he is not very active in dramas lately. Too bad though as I just love him and wish others would too. This Week My Wife Will Have an Affair was such a treat but I want more.

I suppose he's getting older, too. idk, it's funny how fast reference points can change in fandoms.

He is a wonderful actor. I liked him best in White Tower and Golden Time, but he was a huge part of why I enjoyed flawed shows like Pasta and Miss Korea as much as I did. No matter how little he has to work with, he always does a good job.

Wow, you're one of the very few remaining who actually watched Golden Time. :-) I agree with what you said about his throwing his all into his roles.

I feel so old right now lol. When it comes to dramas, I tend to live in the past. There are still a couple good shows a year, but 2017 is such a long way off from 2007.

I love kim min jae's voice, then yeo jin goo too! Or jang geun suk.^^ Choi Jin hyk has quite husky voice too.

Glad you asked this kind of qustion <3
I love every husky-sexy voiced oppa and ajusshi!
Janghyuk (nobody's gonna deny it), JooJinMoo, SungJoon, SungHoon, ChoiJinHyuk, JiJinHee (smooth and assuring voice) YeoJinGu (this one ain't oppa at all, he's dongsaeng)
Recently I found my love in Hwang Shi Mok, I could listen ChoSeungWoo's cough or sneezes and still forever grateful.

@msbeatrice81, Jo Jung-seok has a lovely voice. I also could listen to Yeo Jin-gu say anything all day long. Aside from him, just about any of the dramas I watch have actors with nice voices, so it varies for me on the drama or movie I watch. I like Do Kyungsoo's voice as well. Not certain he does much variation, but I like the tone.

And how could I forget You Ah-in??? Shame on me!

For me it's idol actor DO or Do Kyung Soo for me. I know that he sings well but I love how deep and expressive his speaking voice is when acting. It made me really like him a lot in It's Ok That's Love.

Jo Jung Seok, Yoo Ah In, Jo In Sung and of course The Voice !

Me too! Yes, to the unbearable attraction part... For me, the male actors would be: Eric Mun, Lee Soo-Hyuk, and Sung Joon. The deep register of their voices is just so manly.

And while my reaction is different towards female voices, I've always noticed how lovely/seductive/cute/clear the following actresses sound: Park Ji-Young, Kim Yoo-Mi, Shin Se-Kyung, Seo Hyun-Jin, and Park Bo-young.

I vote for Park Bo-gum.

Jo Seung Woo.

Happy Friday Beanies!

Can't believe it's already Friday again. This week has been quite a busy week for me. I had two interviews this week which is why I didn't log in to DB for few days because I had to travel to another state. I'm so left behind with kdrama schedule. I've only watched Seven Day Queen and School 2017 episodes for this week. I've so many dramas to catch up: BotWG, Reunited Worlds, TKL, and Criminal Minds. I also haven't started with Falsify and not to forget, this weekend is the premiere episode for Strongest Deliveryman and Rescue Me! I'm so excited for both dramas!

So many dramas, so little time to watch. I've another two interviews coming up next week. Sigh, welcome to the life of fresh graduate who is seeking for her first job.

Good luck on the job hunt! "Fighting!"

Thank you @Ally! :)

Oo still job hunting? Good luck! :) I'm sure something awesome is waiting for you right round the corner.

Yup, I still am. I'm still trying to find the right one. Anyway thanks @greenfields! ?

good luck on the job hunt! kdramas will be waiting for you when you unwind and relax. happy weekend!

Aww thanks @wakimary! ? I'll enjoy as much dramas as I can this weekend. You too, have a wonderful weekend!

Goodbye to Seven Day Queen, the most underrated but best romance sageuk ever! More people should watch it! So far its the most perfect drama I've watched, right from start to finish. Finales are usually predictable and/or disappointing but this was truly satisfying. I'm glad it got recognised by both Javabeans and Girlfriday and it deserves more love from other beanies!

The last ten minutes had me bawling. What a story. What actors and actresses! I'm going to miss this one. I loved the background instrumentals as well. *sniffle*

I've not seen this yet as I was waiting for it to finish airing. But everyone says it's the best romance segeuk. My 3rd favorite drama is The Princess' Man and I want to know how the two compare to each other since they are both romance segeuk.

I agree! Sometimes the characters did something I hated, but even then I completely understood their reasoning and bought that there was no better way. It was heartbreaking, but beautifully so. I didn't find myself getting frustrated at the writing or the plot- which is rare- what frustrated me was the hopeless situations they were in.
The ending. Oh the ending. It wasn't what I would have liked, but it's exactly what it should be. We knew what we were getting into from the beginning so the ending was the most fitting result of everything that happened. Even though it broke my heart, it did it so well that I still love it.

Omg I completely agree with you. I usually get annoyed at characters when they do stupid things and I did feel frustrated. but then I'll think about it and realise "actually I understand why they did that". The only thing I got really annoyed about is when she said "My family and I, we serve only one King". I think that was a bit too harsh.

The ending, yes I liked that they stuck to history and just worked around it and did the best they could. A happy ending would not be satisfying because it was set up to be a tragic love story from the start.

Lol yes, that scene frustrated me. I totally get that she thought that was the only way to save Yeok, but I still think her claiming she was being set up would've been a better move. Granted, she didn't know that Yeok could control the Snail Brides or get witnesses so it's understandable, but that line about only one king left me like "damn girl, you take 'go big or go home' to heart"

I am holding it off, I can't take that much heartbreak so the finale is on hold until I am emotionally ready.

Hi everyone! This is my first time to participate in the OT :)

I've been watching School 2017 and I'm appalled by the education system in South Korea. I know that some of the aspects of the drama is not realistic but I think there really is great pressure among Korean students in general. Not only that, there is also pressure when it comes to physical appearances and maybe financial or social status?
Now I understand why I hear that there is a high suicide rate in the country.

I also live in an Asian country, and in many ways, our society is also similar to that of South Korea. Having good grades and a degree will secure one's future. I think we really need to do something to change the system or belief, not just the education system.

Welcome to OT! ^^ Yes, a lot of the plot points are exaggerated, but there's some truth in how social status gives you an edge. Korean society is supposed to be meritocratic, but Korean youths themselves have nicknamed it "Hell Joseon" for the way that class continues to stratify the population and the opportunities you get based on what class you're born into ("golden spoons" being at the top of the pecking order), just like it was in the Joseon era.

Yes, I also noticed that in Fight My Way! Apparently, social status or class still matter a lot probably not just in Asian countries, but also in other parts of the world. It's really unfair but *sigh* it would really be difficult to remove the stigma and judgement of society.

bogummyshipda, I really like your name! And welcome to OT.

Thanks! Was really inspired by BTS' Spring Day and my love for Park Bo Gum ?

The education system is one of the few things that most dramas actually are pretty close on. There is obviously some exaggeration as all dramas do. But there has to be some good reasons why over 50% of South Koreans in the 18-25 age group say they want to leave the country.

50%?! Damn...that's crazy.

Really? Wow, that's crazy! Considering that a lot of foreigners want to move to Korea (myself included)

Notice the words of Park Bo Gum and BTS Spring day in your comment section. I love them too xD

Happy Friday Beanies! I've put Reunited Worlds on hold for the time being, so I'm only watching School 2017 and checking out Strongest Deliveryman this weekend with my mum and my drama-buddy soft toy bunny, Milk Tea (I only let him watch the good ones, he's spoiled ?).

Page Turner: I'm slooowly finishing up this, because I only watch it on long train rides to yoga class which is once a week. I love watching Yoo-seul try to stay angry at Cha-sik and preserve her cool image but fail. I'm checking out Legendary Shuttle next for Seo Ji-hoon! Can't wait to see him more as Kyungwoo.

Not much else to say for my current dramas, but I have two song recommendations: "Sorry" by The Rose and "Coffee Ending" by Tarin, who used to be a vocalist with Vanilla Acoustic. I discovered this song through her OST for School 2017, "Going Home", which is also lovely.

I love Legendary Shuttle. It's a fresh take of the same old bullying topic. I still hold out hope that someday, a full-length drama will make a similar attempt.

Your drama selections are great! I've seen or am watching everything except Reunited Worlds, and that's only because it's not available in my area yet unless I pay for yet another subscription service. Boo, because I want to see and hear YJG, and I want to see this guy smile, dang it!

Hello, I'm watching School 2017 and Criminal Minds now. I can't wait for the next monday because I wanna see Tae Woon so much xD. I watched a the first two episodes of Reunited Worlds and The King Loves, but I don't know why I don't have any feeling to continue watching those. I love Page Turner and I love Ji Soo especially. I am still waiting him to be the first lead in other drama soon.

I'm still trying to recover from last night's sobfest over the last episode of Seven Day Queen. I really don't quite know how to move past it, but for right now at least I'm content not to...not yet. I've never felt so much pain and so much joy from a show so consistently throughout its run. I know the likelihood of the show winning awards is probably slim, but I wish that somehow the incredible cast and crew would receive some sort of recognition for creating what I think it possibly one of the best historical kdramas of all time.
On a lighter note, I have been so pleasantly surprised to find myself really enjoying School 2017 every week. It's not the deepest drama in the world, but the storyline is consistently interesting, the characters are becoming more complex as we know more about them, and the various relationships are cute and have solid chemistry. I love the main couple, but I have to admit to fangirling over their adorable young teacher and his constant attempts to make his students' world a better place. And Kim Jung Hyun...wow...I loved him as the brother in Jealousy Incarnate, but here he's giving off rebel/James Dean vibes that are sending this noona fan into orbit on an average of twice an episode. He's just...so...swoony.
I'm celebrating my birthday this month...I think I'll ask my family to find me a kdrama hero as a present. ;)

It's not my birthday but can I still ask for a kdrama hero too? Kekeke....?

I want one! I wonder how that's going to fit in with me being happily married and all... Eh, it's fun to play pretend, right? ?

All the actors in SDQ deserves an award, especially the main leads! Their acting is so brilliant that I actually forgot that they're actors, and not Yeonsangun, Yeok or Chae Gyung. I'm disappointed that this drama doesn't receive the love that it deserves. I know that ratings don't really reflect the quality of the drama, but I'm mad that the chance for them to win an award is quite slim because of the ratings. It's indeed the best saeguk drama that I've ever watched.

I'm saving the finale for a proper time where I can watch and not embarrass myself for crying buckets.

You are right about them receiving awards! I've always like Park Min Young but never thought she was this awesome.

Just prepare a box of tissue next to you before you watch the finale and good luck!

Park Min Young has grown so much for years. I loved her back when she's in Sungkyungkwan Scandal and I love her more and more after City Hunter, Healer, Remember and now Seven Day Queen. Her portrayals of Shin Chae Gyung is just perfect. IMO this is her best performance so far.

Yes, I totally agree! Best performance so far ?

I'm with you. I've not been able to watch this the day it airs but instead wait for the weekend when I can watch both episodes back to back. It's been such a beautiful, painful, amazingly poignant show from start to finish. So I'll watch them both tomorrow when I can weep alone.

SDQ was lovely to see. I miss it already. And along with the cast, I want to show some love for the music, just beautiful, haunting, and yet not overbearing. Everything was pitch perfect for me.

Me too, I've been into Kim Jun Hyun lately. Hope you get your kdrama hero ;D

Open Thread week 26! I sincerely hope everyone is having a good day today. It’s been quite a week here in our neck of the woods. Without going into too much detail, my family is doing well, but our community was rocked by tragedy, and it’s probably as bad as you’re thinking. But life goes on, and it just goes to show that reality is stranger than fiction sometimes. It’s a good thing I was distracted by loving family and friends for my 30th! (I mean) 40th! Birthday Week! (Yes, I celebrate a week of my birthday—when you get this old, there’s not many more to celebrate, so you do it with a bang! Actually, my present isn’t coming until September, so maybe I’m celebrating two full months of my birthday!) So, I was told to update you on if Gong Yoo appeared after I blew out my candles. Well, if you count watching the 6th episode of Goblin during my party, then, yes, Yes he did! I can’t think of a better way of celebrating, can you? And if you want to know more about the food and friends that were there, it’s all in the blog, which is on my fan page.

So my mother came into town this week and I got to watch The King Loves with her. She’s hilarious. She hooked. So much so that she doesn’t even care to watch them without subtitles. I think Viki was subbed 40% the night episode 6 came out and she had to watch it—which is fine by me since I have DB to translate! And it gives us an excuse to watch it again when the subs do come out! And this was our sweet conversation:

Mom: That oldest brother is really good. He’s a great actor.

Me: *OMG, my mom is crushing over a guy younger than me.* I think he’s older than the rest of the main group and been in several dramas. He is good.

Mom: I can’t believe you’re 40. I remember being 40.

Me: *Just because I mentioned Oh Min Seok being older, I’m going to go down memory lane with my mother. Bring it on. I guess that’s what you get when not all the subs are out.* I know, we’re all old now. These young actors are 20 years younger than me. That’s depressing.

Mom: 20 years! I’m 40 years older than all of them! Enjoy your 40’s, honey, they’re the best years of your life.

Me: *Silence, as I start processing life, death, and the prospects of aging well.*

Mom: What’s going on? Why aren’t you translating this for me?
*Because I usually still translate what is going on for her even with English subs as English is her second language.*

Me: Because I can’t understand Korean! And the English subtitles just stopped! Did you think I suddenly learned Korean in the past 2 months?

Mom: *Laughing* Oh, I forgot. You were doing such a good job translating this for me.

(Later that night)

Hubby: You just spent a lot of time with your mom.

Me: My mom loves that drama, but I have to translate everything since she can’t read English as fast as the subtitles come up.

Hubby: That’s why you put the subtitles in Vietnamese. *Proceeds to show me that Viki has...

...other subtitles!*

Me: *Laughing, mind blown!* Oh, I forgot!

Hubby: That apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, does it?

Me: *Hysterically laughing now.* I’m going senile in my 40’s!

Hubby: *In total deadpan* Please don’t say that. I still have to live with you. Or, maybe just put you in a home and go find Yoona.

Moral of the Story: Sharing K-dramas is priceless.

2nd moral: If I suddenly stop writing here, it’s probably because I’ve lost my marbles, and in a nursing home, and you'll suddenly hear that Yoona just married a dashing doctor from the US.

3rd moral: Isn’t my mom sweet???

@Ally your story is so sweet and pleasant to read :) , watching k-drama with your mom ❤︎ and your husband 's pretty funny ^^ , hope things will get better in your community

Thank you. Things are already better, just waiting for the other shoe to drop, as they say. But luckily, I live a sheltered life, and have my tight circle of friends to shield me from the madness. My husband is funny. Everyone says so! And everyone says my mom is sweet too. I'm pretty lucky they love me :P

That's such a sweet story. ^^ I love that you can watch K-dramas with your mum. Mine thinks they're a waste of time. :(

On the other hand, I got to watch a few episodes of Strong Woman Do Bong Soon with a friend recently. It's her first K-dramas, and she was incredibly tickled by Bong Soon! 's attitude and sass. ^^ I must say I agree that sharing K-dramas is priceless. I got a whole new perspective on the show and a friend to fangirl over Park Bo Young, with. :D

Happy Birthday Ally! Enjoy your belated birthday trip! ❤️

And yours to Korea shortly thereafter! Thank you!

Haha, I love reading your dialogues! Cute! Two weeks ago was my 20-year high school reunion, which I missed because I was out of town. I love watching these dramas, and then remind myself not to get too into them (lol, yeah right), as I am now probably as old as their parents...

Kdramas totally remind me of my high-school/college days. I love reminiscing about them. 20 years is a crazy milestone, isn't it? It was so weird seeing people I hadn't seen in that amount of time and how much some people changed while others were exactly the same. I was happy with my life, how it all turned out, and happy to see a lot of people doing quite well at my own 20th. You'll have to make the next one!

Happy Birthday, Ally!

Reading your post made me remember when my Mom saw PBG in his bombastic teaser for Moonlight and she was truly enamored. It was her return to kdrama after a very very long time.

Bo gummy is love. I sent that dance number to EVERYONE in my clinic on an especially painful Monday, because how can you not have a good day after seeing that! ?

Happy Birthday Week, Ally! ? ?

Your mom is sweet indeed. How wonderful that both of you are able to spend time together. ..... May you have many, many more birthdays, with your mom at your side, both of you enjoying kdramas together.

Happy birthday week, Ally. Your mom is cute and sweet. Hehe! She's like my mom who gets easily hooked when I recommend a drama. She has yet to start TKL though due to being busy with work. She is tired of Joseon era so Goryeo should be refreshing for her.

Give me a Goryeo drama any day--the colors and costumes are so much better than Joseon era!

Oh, definitely. I kinda hate gats so any gat-less sageuk is up my alley anyway lol. Goryeo also has more Manes Of Glory. Always a good thing.

Ally, great story as always! Happy birthday week and I hope you thanked your mom (seaweed soup? Maybe too much to ask?). You make me miss my Mom who I know would have become a total showworm, and would have loved Gong Yoo ?

I'm sure she would have! I'm realizing in my maturity that my time with my parents are finite, and my maternal grandmother died at 65, which is five years older than what my mom is now, so I'm cherishing this time. I'll miss her too.

Happy birthday and that's so sweet. Wish you even more happiness :D

Happy birthday to you, hope you get blessed years ahead :) Your mom is so sweet. FYI, my mom has a crush on Lee Seung Gi since the Gu Family Book day. I also watch K-Dramas with my mom and sister sometimes if there any dramas that air on the local tv station network. But mostly, I end up being the one who tell how the stories will go on (because I have watched most of the dramas that aired in my country tv station network), because they really like spoiler :)

Is anyone watching the currently airing daily drama 'Lovers in Bloom' with Do Ji Han? It's my first daily and is surprisingly quite good. I do watch it with the help of the fast forward button - but the central romances have me hooked:
1. Rich girl - poor guy
2. Single mom and young man with a bright future whom she doesn't want to burden with her 'baggage'.

I'm well and truly impressed with the depth being built into the characters. Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks for sharing! I've been thinking of picking it up when my semester gets busier. Do Ji-han being one of the leads is a huge plus point, and I'm also liking the premise of a single mother because female characters who are single mothers, married, divorced, or widowed rarely take centre stage in dramas.

Yes. The premise of the single mum is what attracted me to it as well. It's not quite up to par with the prime time shows - but it's no bad. I was expecting more makjang, but I got a regular drama where conflicts and misunderstandings aren't drawn out too long (though perhaps the fast forward button helps with that?) and plenty of things keep happening.

I watched some of earlier epi, but found it is quite boring but I love Nam Bora. Maybe later I'll pick up on it.

Sera, it starts slow... most of them do. But it's really a great slow burn, slower than others. But it's getting good. Sparks will soon fly.

Agreed.
@seralovestteobokki - I am watching it with the fast forward button, but it's raising interesting questions about romantic love beyond your socio-economic class, or for single moms that most K-dramas don't, and is dealing with them in an interesting, true to life, and thoughtful way.
It's quite (emotionally) satisfying to watch, actually.

I know.That's how all dailies do. :)

I'm watching it. I'm hooked on the dailies and always watch them. There is always one daily that is a bit extreme on the human evil and one that is very human with low-key evil. I tend to go with the low-key evil one coz i hate baby switching, evil second leads, blackmailing and the like. Although i suspect Daegap and Dohyeon and maybe even Ms Heo might cause some serious trouble down the line. As will Taejin's sister.

Oo... Low key evil is a nice way to put it! :)

I'm expecting it to get crazy later on as well - I mean, it's been hinted that Do Hyun is involved in the husband's accident in some way. And the four families are ridiculously intertwined - now that would never happen in real life.
But so far it's been pretty great. ^^

Do you have any recommendations for dailies?

Hooray for low-key evil characters! Screeching, crazy In-laws in daily dramas (or anywhere, really) drive me crazy.