Premiere Watch: Lingerie Girls’ Generation
School 2017 may be gone (sniff!) but KBS has a new youth drama on the way to replace it on Mondays and Tuesdays. This time, we’re going back to 1979 for throwback drama Lingerie Girls’ Generation, about a rambunctious group of high school girls and their friendships and first loves.
Lingerie Girls’ Generation
Time slot: Monday & Tuesday
Genre: Coming-of-age, period drama
Episode count: 8
Reasons to watch: What this drama has going for it is zero expectations, since it’s a short series at just 8 episodes and full of fresh faces like idols Bona and Lee Jong-hyun and rookie actress Chae Seo-jin—if it doesn’t make waves, no one will cry about it, and if it happens to be awesome, it’ll be a pleasant and happy surprise.
The biggest appeal of the drama is the focus on young women, because the novel that it’s based on has been praised for its authentic feel—not just for 1970s Daegu, where the story is set, but for the feelings and perspectives of young women at the time. Lingerie Girls’ Generation is calling itself a drama about women and for women, and the relationship at the center of the story is the friendship between Bona and Chae Seo-jin, which is said to be full of jealousy, growing pains, rivalry, and love.
Not every drama can be Age of Youth, but I’m thrilled that more are trying to be!
- One-sided first loves and heart-fluttering first meetings in Lingerie Girls’ Generation
- Friends, first loves, and vinyl records in KBS’s Lingerie Girls’ Generation
- Lingerie Girls’ Generation casts Do-hee and Chae Seo-jin
- Cosmic Girls’ Bona to headline as bubbly teen in Lingerie Girls’ Generation
- Lee Jong-hyun up for lead role in Lingerie Girls’ Generation
- KBS adapts 1970s youth story Lingerie Girls’ Generation