Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

javabeans

Currently recapping: Hwayugi

I’m Not a Robot: Ahh, I really felt for the angst this week, because of how badly both Min-kyu and Jia want the same thing (for the robot to be human). The pain seems so easily remedied by telling the truth, but it made so much sense why the lie had to continue, and I appreciated that it gave our characters the time to explore how keenly they felt that longing in that moment.

Black Knight: I find the tone so weird in this show—or rather, the tonal shifts from light to dark and light again. The tone changes are probably both an asset and a flaw, because I’m never bored by this show but I don’t think its execution does it justice; I do feel like the seams are showing at every turn and it impedes my ability to sink myself into the world. I also find Seo Ji-hye a strangely compelling character, because her petty jealousies can be cute in the present day, but then we’re constantly shown what a vile and wretched human she used to be (and hasn’t learned her lesson yet) and I don’t want to like her or find her appealing.

My Golden Life: I left this show weeks ago, but I have to admit that my curiosity was piqued when I randomly watched this clip, and the idea of love triangle roommate hijinks appealed to me (much more than the suffocating chaebol household). I’m always surprised at how much doesn’t change from week to week in a weekend family show, because I skipped about twenty episodes but felt like I hadn’t missed a beat, even with all the big plot changes. I still don’t really buy the characters or the world of this drama (it feels too simplistic to resonate) but it’s still light and amusing and easy to watch.

girlfriday

Currently recapping: Hwayugi

I’m Not a Robot: Yoo Seung-ho is really quite dense about the robot not being a robot, but awwww, he was so heartbroken over her not being a real girl this week that it melted my heart. This show can be silly, but they always do a good job of bringing it back to an emotional center that keeps it grounded.

Two Cops: I know that the undercover operation in prison was important for the overall mystery, but I couldn’t get over how easy it was for Jo Jung-seok to just get in and out of prison without anyone batting an eyelash. It’s the kind of plot that would take up a whole other drama’s worth of time to do logically, so instead they just kind of waved a magic wand. Maybe someone watched Mysterious Il-seung and went, Look, you can just walk in and out of prison, easy peasy! Let’s do that!

Jugglers: I enjoyed the denial stage of this romance and wished it would continue a little longer, though I wouldn’t exactly complain about the romantic development, seeing as how it’s a lot more interesting than the office hijinks. For all of his social issues and his emotional stuntedness, this hero sure knows how to be swoony when it counts.

Tags: , , , , ,

**Dramas
* Just between lovers ep1-6 : I binge watched ep1-4 and loved loved loved it , then watched ep5&6 raw because I couldn’t wait , then re-watch with subs . I might rewatch some eps this weekend, I’m addicted Beanies (the OST is on repeat too) . The slow pace, the little gestures, the fact they’re both thinking Milky boy died because of them 💔, the OST, and so on …you know what I’m adding another standard for my boyfriend : I love man eating carrots 😍😂
* Avengers social club ep1-3 : I started it this week for my commute time to work , I love it. The chaebol’s daughter eating ramyun for the first time aigoo aigoo , glue on a chair + laxative or throw a bucket of water on that hateful man = silly revenges I’m having so much fun watching it !

**K-shows
*I live alone e226 : Kian84 and Park Na Rae omo so funny , another plot twist in their couple drama 😂. The party was funny , it’d been great if Bread is the best was there too 😂 (aka Yoon Hyun Min)
*Master key e11: fun ep but it lacks originality , like some said on other websites, it’s like Running man , which I haven’t watched since Gary left but one show is enough no need to have two shows with the concept (and on the same channel ,come on SBS)
*Wanna One go zero base ep7 : like usual kids having fun and great time together , the surprise mission in Japan was funny 😊
*Infinite challenge e550 : very funny ep with a different persons of the year and some insightful exchanges. The actor was so cute and nice😊
*1n2d : haven’t watched the special ep lately BUT they’re coming back Assa 💃

aigoo my JBL addiction made me forget I've watched the ep1 of Hwayugi 😅 : the ghost are creepy , ep1 was good but I'll wait before watching ep2 + ep3-4 don't air this week so...maybe I'll put it on hold and wait for Beanies comments then binge watch it

Who is Milky boy? Moon-soo’s first love?

I love man eating carrots too. Lol

yes he was the Milky boy in School 2017 :)

I’m planning to watch that drama starting tomorrow coz of Moori. :)

Strawberry Milk? No wonder he looked so familiar! 💕

He is secratory brother back from army in jugglers

She is taki g her colleagues advice seriously of hitting on him aggressively while being drunk .. lol..

Carrott..sausage lips ( she means "you have luscious lips" right? Because its kdrama n all loooove sausage.. he he..

Oh man..give me d intense romance asap.. i didnt know before dis drama how amazing a petite woman in arms of a tall broad shouldered guy looks..

love the bit about loving man eating carrots,lol, I literally blurted out to the screen "same Moon-soo, same" when watching that scene XD

I'm Not A Robot
This show hurts so good! Every time Min-kyu starts on hating Ji-A because he thinks she doesn't have any feelings (or so he thought) had me feeling for her, but I can also understand his pain. (I mean, who wouldn't be hurt if cards also lie to you?) Ji-A and Baek-gyun's break-up is also realistic. I'm liking how this show is more focused on Ji-A and Min-kyu's interactions and daily lives as the master/owner of someone who is not-a-robot and someone who pretends to be a robot, their relationships with other people, and their trust issues, than the office politics. Looking forward to see what's about to happen once Min-kyu finds out that she's not a robot.

Jugglers
My current crack drama. This show is just too cute for words! My heart is not prepared for the moves served by none other than the Boss of all swooners, Nam Chi-swoon! Bring on all the cute, show!

Nothing to Lose
Was able to catch up on episode 9 of this drama and I must say that I'm glad I picked this up! The story is also building up slowly and I'm liking where this is going. Park Eun-bin and Yeon Woo-jin has that chemistry you just can't simply resist, and I'm definitely staying on board because of them (and the other casts are doing an excellent job especially puppy Dong-ha). Now I'm off to watch episode 10!

Hwayugi
Man, I really missed Lee Seung-gi in Dramaland so much, so although I was a bit skeptical on watching the show because of how downhill the Hong Sisters' dramas became these past few years, I still dived in and watched it because why not? The premise sounds amazing on paper and the leads are doing a great job in executing this! My only issue is that the editing seems to be a bit disjointed at some times, and with the behind the scenes issues arising, I'm hoping that the people damaged/injured could be compensated properly (I don't know how to put this in words properly and what I mean is in a good way). The team behind the drama also needs to get back on their feet and do things properly. Here's hoping that the issues behind the drama will be resolved soon. Contract dramas are surely a favorite catnip of mine, so I'm hoping the drama will be able to deliver our expectations.

Two Cops
I'm considering dropping this show because I only started the first four episodes and the only thing that made me sit and watch the show for two straight hours was the premise and the male leads. Jo Jung-Seok and Kim Sun-ho are doing an amazing job in this drama, however, I'm not buying the way the story is told, the directing, and the female lead in Hyeri (although I loved her so much in Reply 1988 but I don't really think her character was necessary in this except for the mandatory romance). Should I continue the show or should I just read the recaps?

I'm also thinking of having a marathon of Go Back Spouses and Live Up To Your Name once I finished my exams this January and I'm also...

cont... planning to start Wise Prison Living and Just Between Lovers!

Are there any precautionary measures I should take?

I just started Wise Prison Living and it is SO. SLOW. AND LONG. But I ended up watching three episodes in a row (that's 4.5 hours!) so maybe there's something about it, I just can't put into words yet why I'm hooked.

Maybe it's because of the magic of the storyline, the directing, and the characters (based on what I've seen from the posts of other Beanies)? I think I'm going to watch the first three episodes and see it for myself. Thank you, @mary! 😊

So long ! It does give time to develop characters, which is what hooked me. The romance angle is a bit of a bust though. Jung Woong In is doing a good job as Lt. Paeng.

Omg THIS IS ME. The episodes are so LONG but I don't actually feel that they're long even if nothing really happens that much? Such proof that I just love the characters so much too that I just love watching them. Aside from the obvious amazing directorial sense + how emotionally engaging the foibles of these prisoners are. Gah, I'm on ep9 now (I only started yesterday, watching a movie/variety show ep every other three eps for a bit of a palate cleanser although I'm always so excited to get back to it) and I'm dreading the lack of episodes since ep11 will only be available on Jan 11 on Netflix.

Omg I just fangirled. Hahaha! I'm just so happy that my slump has ended and I didn't even expect that this show would end it. I said I'll try the first ep yesterday and here I am now.

How did you find this show on Netflix? I've looked under every possible name -- Smart Prison Living, Wise Prison Life, Prison Playbook -- but nothing is coming up!

@jjijji can you view it in this link? https://www.netflix.com/title/80214406

Up to episode 10 is subbed and available on sites like Watchasian (Yes, I will go there!) I have DramaFever, Viki, and Netflix but they don't carry everything, and they're blocked to me when I travel....weirdest thing to be in Korea and not be able to watch dramas!

@jjijji, where do you live? You don't have to be specific. Just a general region/country like USA, Canada, Europe, Asia, etc.

USA

@jjijji Looks like it's not available in your region yet. Hopefully you'll get it eventually.

Yeah, I think Netflix USA really follows the binge model for kdramas. I'm based in the Philippines and we just get it a week late. I don't really understand why they wouldn't just do the same with Netflix USA. Hope you get to watch it soon, @jjijji!

Yup, I am hoping we get it eventually. I would like to see it!

Just Between Lovers - prepare yourself a pot of coffee or tea, wrap yourself in a blanket, and yeah, be comfy.

Wise Prison Living - be ready to spend 90 mins or so in an episode. It's worth investing your time, though. There's something addictive about the show and when you do start it, I hope you help us pinpoint what it is exactly XD

Just between lovers is a beautiful drama! But it's emotionally heavy. So I take each episode slowly. But definitely a must watch ☺️

Love love love Just Between Lovers!!!

Marathoning Go Back Spouses definitely sounds like a good idea. That show is short, but sweet.

Please marathon go back spouses! May fave of 2017!

I love Jugglers but I have a question!
Is it kinda illegal to kiss passionately in Kdramas?!
I know the answer is no but why, whyyyy the leads end up pressing their lips on each other`s and expect the viewer to get goosebumps while watching that scene? :( (Ok, maybe they don`t expect it:D but it is not bad to get). I was wondering if it is something related to their culture or ...

TBH, I was kinda disappointed to see Chi-Won and Yoon-Yi`s kiss. I didn`t expect to see the kinda kiss Cha Seung-Won and kim Sun-A had in City Hall in the car, but at least show some affection because we all know how the feeling of kissing sb we are in love with is. ^_^

One last thing, Just Between Lovers is lovely as well <3

I've read that that Korea's age-related rating system have led to the these weird kisses. The bug-eyed lip press is likely one of the most puzzling aspects of Korean dramas for international audiences. Do cable channels have more freedom?

I've only started watching K-dramas this summer but I say this with confidence: The acupuncture kiss from Live Up Your Name was one of the best kisses I've ever seen on screen. Tender, electrifying and sweet. (Maybe this is why you will never find any behind-the-scenes video of it.)

More recently, the this-is-how-to-kiss-properly smooch from Because This Was Our First Life vigorously (and hilariously) corrected the lip-press from the first episode.

I would rather have NO kisses that these stupid eye-bulging kisses. I've seen plenty of passionate Bollywood films without any lip content—they've perfected the longing gaze, the forehead kiss, the tender embrace.

Oops—forgot to close my tag.

Aww thanks. Finally an explanation for these weird kisses! I thought maybe it is all because some of the actors/actresses don`t feel comfortable with these kinda scenes and as long as it looks to be accepted in Kdrama land, they are not forced to do it. Yeah, it makes sense cuz majority of viewers are young people...
I haven`t watched LUYN, yet but I checked the scene you mentioned and you were 100 percent right. It was tender and sweet. I`ll definitely watch the whole drama.
And about Se-hee and Ji-Ho`s second, the kiss was absolutely tasteful ^.^
Me too. What`s the point of seeing like ten episodes of a drama, seeing the characters fall in love( most of the time after so manyyy incidents and up and downs) to get to the point they confess their love but then press lips without even touching each other`s hands!

Because it was their first kiss, and it wasn't mutual - it was Chi-won kissed Yoon-yi first and Yoon-yi was startled by it. 😅😂 I think their kisses will be upgraded in the upcoming episodes. I don't think either Daniel Choi or Baek Jin-hee are awkward in kissing scenes based on their past drama.

Just imagine the heart-attack Yoon-Yi would get if Chi-Won goes for an unwarned passionate 1st kiss. I was actually glad that it was just a peck since she was shocked by just that. It goes by his character too given how tender and caring he is, always looking out for her.

@seralovestteobokki @amulya I agree with what you wrote but Chi-Won and Yoon-Yi`s kiss was just an example only because I`m watching it now. There are plenty dramas I`ve watched and the kiss scene didn`t change till the end. Of course there were no bug-eyed, still hands kinda kisses anymore but still they were just pressing lips. I was just curious to know the reason. ^____^

Hahaha yes, some actors / actresses are just shy and awkward during kissing scenes 😂

I'm actually ok even without any kisses, proper story and acting is what matters for me. Apart from k-dramas, I also love watching pakistani dramas where they don't have even a single hug but still manage to make the audience's hearts flutter.

I think it seems to be a bit of a pattern to have very awkward/frozen first kisses in dramas (with shocked wide eyed expressions, then the heroine's eyes slowly close and they grip the male lead's arm or smth). So many of these scenes seem to be filmed the same way? I think most of the time it seems to be a directorial choice. I have hope that Chi-won/Yoon-yi's next kiss will be alot more natural bc they have great chemistry. ^^

I definitely second the use of Nam Chi-Swoon!! And yes, to Go Back Spouses! Such an underrated gem!

Smart Prison Living: I'm glad that we finally got a Jun-ho centered eps and got to see his gradual changes. His whoops of triumph and celebratory hug with Law Man were so adorable. And while I'm dreading the upcoming confrontation with Baldy, I think it's time to spice things up a bit since everything has gone smoothly so far.

Just Between Lovers: It's a case when a drama is just so beautifully directed and assuredly written, that I found myself not wanting to comment much about it and just let it take me wherever it want.

Jugglers: I'm torn between happy and worried. I love that Chi-won finally owned up to his growing feelings toward Yoon-yi, but I also think it would jeopardize their established relationship as boss-assistant and landlord-tenant that they've carefully built so far.

Two Cops: At least now Su-chang and Dong-tak are properly working together instead of sabotaging each other's progress. Which is a huge relief.

Hwayugi: Oooh... it's a fun premiere. I totally buy into their fantasy world and waiting expectantly for whatever new adventures awaiting our characters.

Joon-ho is the best, and it's nice to see him warming up to Law Man! They're basically my favourite characters. I miss Go Baksa already, though. T_T

I also miss Dr. Go. I bawled when he finally spoke heart-to-heart with Min-cheol (and in banmal too!), and bawled again when he said goodbye with his cellmates and also Lt. Paeng. It felt like he was leaving his second family. I just hope he doesn't have a hard time in his new place.

We'll definitely see him again, just like with Law Man.

Those scenes made me cry too that I had to rewatch Hanyang and Captain Yoo's scene to make me smile again.

Perfectly said for Just Between Lovers!

I recommend Just Between Lovers. Seriously.

Second!

I third ;D

Glad to see Just Between Lovers get top mention here. I rest my case.

It deserves it.....thoughtful, moving, and achingly beautiful.

I love everything about this drama. Every. Single. Thing.
I'm having a bit of drama slump , but this drama saved me. In fact, I came to this thread just to see how many beanies love this drama 😄
I hope more people would check this JBL.

I just cannot recommend this show enough. It feels so underappreciated, but it is so so so good.

YES! Do watch Just Between Lovers. It may be heavy going but there are ample rewards even as the scenes will make you cry 😉

That's the only thing I am watching seriously.

I'm also watching Jugglers but only find it okayish (too many tropes, and I find the female character over-the-top and I don't find her acting very compelling. And... could have done without the wrist grab by a lead character who knew better in earlier episodes!). Start Hwayugi, but that's early days and I'm not 100% on board (and the accident on set upsets me).

+1000. I was randomly searching for something to watch when I saw this describing itself as a "melodrama", but since it also said it was about architecture, I thought it couldn't be thaat sappy.

After I watched the first ep... I don't think this is really a melo!! It's contemplative and raw, and the characters are gritty, don't always look gorgeous, and THEY USE OLD PHONES. (Although I do notice they've been slowly upgrading her wardrobe, and I can't believe they don't wear safety boots at a construction site.) Arghkjgdladiafjasf I love this show.

My favorite shows atm are Jugglers, Just Between Lovers, and Hwayugi. They've all been amazing and I hope they continue that way!

Jugglers That kissss! Wonder what their reactions will be next week. 😅 One of those shows "if you can't offer something different, just do something usual and cliche right". Great acting made this drama much more enjoyable to watch. Easy to love all characters, although I'm worried about Bona.

Wise Prison Life My top fav at the moment. I just watched till epi 6 but glad I made the decision not to drop it. Epi 3 onwards keep getting better! Kim Je-hyeok is so nice, and can be clueless, but unexpextedly smart sometimes. Joon-him on the other hand is a dream friend and dream guy, I can't wait to know more about him! It is easy to love all characters. Grumpy Lt Paeng is my fav, it's so great to see Jung Woo-in not playing a villain this time 😅 And of course Jung Kyung-ho is so dreamy and ❤❤❤

Money Flower The cliffhanger! And no epi this week! ugh the torture 😕

I'm behind Just Between Lovers (just watched up to epi 2) and Black Knight (just to check what Sharon & Baek-hee did this week!) so hopefully I'll catch up during this weekend.

yay for catching up JBL :) ,
I see that you've dropped (or put on hold ?) Two cops , I've put it on hold maybe in 2-3 weeks it'll changed to dropped status , seeing girlfriday post doesn't motivate me to pick it up ^^'

Not sure already dropped it or what LOL. But I found myself don't care about Two Cops anymore! 😅

YES at what you wrote on Jugglers!! Would take a well written and done cliche drama over a poorly written and executed unique idea. The premise of the show isn't out of the usual, but it still keeps me watching and wanting more LOL The actors are really making the show such an enjoyable watch :~)

Blame it on the holidays. On NJTtW4 rewatch. Or simply on Last Dance concerts in Japan (and today +tomorrow in Seoul). But my drama viewing this week has been only one episode of Jugglers.

2018 will find me with a lot of dramas on my hard disk, which is good since I have very few on my list.

Hope your 2017 went great or at least good 😁😁😁

I tried to resist watching a lot of dramas this season. I really did. And I guess I kind of succeeded? Heeh.

What I'm Watching:

1. Just Between Lovers
2. Prison Playbook
3. I'm Not A Robot
4. Nothing To Lose

Wow. Interesting mix of genre, right? XD I'm enjoying all of them!

I watched a clip of Nothing to Lose, and I think it must have gotten a lot more engaging from the first episode. Maybe I should pick it up again?

Hi! @frabbycrabsis I can't say much about the story-line. I find it relatively engaging, still, but the way it's being told, isn't catching my full attention. I'm mostly sticking to it because of Yeon Woo-jin and Dong Ha.

Sounds about right, haha! To be honest, I'm most curious about Yeon Woo-jin's character.

Just Between Lovers - as i said yesterday, ep 05 was boring to a certain extent but had good theme @hades made a comment about that specific topic. Check out Open Thread 532. Gonna Discuss this week later in other comments. Ep 06 was the good one. Not only because of more screentime of Hero-Heroine but the weight it carried and the way theme transferred from ep to ep 6. There are weak links here and there and i officially reduced score from 8.5 to 8.
Bad Guys - No one is talking about it. Ep 1 - watched 35minutes of it on monday and bang withing 1st 15 minutes 3 prosecutors are gone. The Chief prosecutor dealing with Police Force 38 crook. This has potential.

Playbook - 1 hour 26 min episode. BIG big negative. Humour is good. Worth watch but TVN stop taking Viewers time for granted.

Lion Pride - the fluffy nonsensical drama romance. The way the somewhat arrogant guy shyly smiles.

Gintama - 6.5 out of 10. Even all the gags and references can't save the movie
The Swindlers - 6/10 avg. swindling kdrama movie. Swindling should be taken as a genre now. Good acting but pretty mediocre story

HWayugi is C grade crap. Male genie. no need.
Little Girl was the only saving grace.

1000% agree!

I have checked first two episodes of Bad Guys: City of Evil. It's TOO violent! I always think that I have high tolerance for (on screen) violence, but in Bad Guys 2 it was next level that for a second I thought I was watching Ray Donovan. My least favorite scene was when joong pil (or whatever his name was, he's the bad guy) smashed a guy's head on a table then stabbed his head trough his ear with scissor. That was Tarantino's level of violence. Nope, I can't.

The fight scenes were real........ly long and chaotic! Totally unnecessary.

ITA. Where's the story?

I watched swindlers recently.. such a bad movie..for one in first 5 min you know exactly what wud happen over next 80 odd minutes..arc by arc..it is so ridiculous..

Did sthg hapoen
.all smart writers have moved away from movies to dramaland is it?

In d past korean movies had such interesting stories..being adapted worldwide.. now its too bad to meet its own standard ( writing wise i mean)

Just Between Lovers: Although it was a very small moment, what stood out to me this week was Kang-doo telling Sang-man he should be the hyung - the writing can be ingenious sometimes, because there's so much meaning there!

I'm Not a Robot: I spent half of these episodes giggling and the other half ugly-crying. They chose the best actors they could have to carry the emotional weight of this show. (Also, um, when I said I wanted Kang Ki-young to take on meatier villain roles, I was clearly being naive. Can I take it back?)

Smart Prison Living: Nooo, Go Baksa! Come back!

Hwayugi: Can I be bothered with the episode length? Not really. I'll probably watch it anyway.

Kang Do the edgy and rough kid couln't see what Sang-Man the pure man-child was able to. I am sure it changed atleast some views of Kang Doo.

Yes! It felt like Kang-doo was so ashamed of himself, and in his eyes Sang-man's black and white view of the world made him wise and mature. I love that scene!

what I see in those scene, Kang Doo sees people on upper side through their dark side persona, Sang Man see people through their good side personas. So both of them is still see the world from two opposite side direction.

My kdrama universe is entirely I-am-not-a-robot-shaped these days. Their reaction post kiss has me smiling from ear to ear every time I think of ep. 13. Same for the phone conversation with Jia and the adorable meet her niece scene. Jia's 'one person is enough' letter was amazing. Despite the hurt and sadness, you can see that they keep changing each other for the better. Also, the way the show addresses the issue of android emotions and their relation to the human counterparts was a pleasant surprise. All together = love.

I'm dangerously invested in this show now, I'm always clamouring for more!

Same! YSH's and CSB's emoting is so on point that I intensely feel every single emotion they go through. The last episode was so heartbreaking I can't wait for it all to
get resolved 😞 Min Kyu deserves so much love and affection 😞😞

That one person is enough letter was truly touching. I love that min kyu's and jia's (not as aji3 but as jia) connection is happening in these little ways, like him being able to eat her food or asking her about what could be considered as a kiss (that was so cute!) or feeling moved by her letter that he decides to attend the competition (or that's what I think). Also, yoo seung ho was A+ this week, his adorable happiness at realizing that somebody likes him and his consequent angst after realizing she is a robot just makes you want to hug him.

A+ goes to your comment as well. That 'one person' petition scene is my favorite part in the latest episode. and I also love it that KMK and JA are somehow connected, in a very beautiful way. They haven't seen each other (except in the 1st episode but JA was wearing helmet so KMK might not see her clearly) but the chemistry is already top-notch, very strong!

I honestly don't remember craving for a show as much as I do for INAR, it's unhealthy! Our leads are doing such a great job I won't be at all surprised if they have a fling behind the scenes, so much chemistry!

"I honestly don't remember craving for a show as much as I do for INAR, it's unhealthy!": that's exactly my definition of a great show just-finished-watching-it-but-I-want-more... rewatched the whole thing a few times already. Right now I'm having a coffee break and I keep imagining scenarios for Jia and MK on a date :-P. I am an addict and I don't want to go to rehab no, no, no.

I'm this close to writing a fanfic, I swear! I actually rewatch every episode two times the day it airs and I still have to stop myself from rewatching the whole thing EVERY WEEK. (I've lost that battle three times already.) I'm blaming the actors!

I desperately need to ask this: did anybody laugh or die a little on the inside when Sharon got SPANKED by the other lady in Black Knight? Like literally?

I don’t know if it was meant to be funny but it was horrifying..

That happened? This sounds like a seriously odd show.

So, the thing is... I commented on last week's post that I couldn't understand why INAR got such dismal ratings compared to BK and a beanie said that INAR was shallow while BK had great actors...

But I can't even bring myself to agree to disagree anymore. I was literally horrified that Sharon got spanked while the other lady screamed "you terrible girl". I'm not sure if the scene was meant to be funny though? They keep trying to inject humour in but it falls really, really flat for me. And I'm easily amused.

I'm Nor a Robot definitely deserves the ratings. And on the acting front, you can't argue Black Knight could be doing better - Chae Soo-bin is playing a robot! Convincingly!

eh, both shows are silly
INAR is more in-your-face about it while BK tries to advertise itself as a sophisticated show and the ratings reflect that

Glad I wasn't the only one who doesn't get the humour in some of the Black Knight scenes. Throwing a bike at a speeding motorcyle across the street and hitting the rider was suppose to be funny right, because its darn impossible for a small lady to do that.

Everyone's recommending Just Between Lovers, but being an architect, I just couldn't stand the nonsensical building construction plot in the drama lmao. I kept coming back to the drama but each time Moon Soo insisted she should check the building structure, I want to kill myself lmaoo. So I dropped it again and again.
It's such a shame because I like the two leads and their connection. Not to mention the drama itself is just visually gorgeous.

It’s a good thing I have zero knowledge about building constructions then or I’d be disappointed. :D

ugh I know right. I still want to pick it up after the construction plot (i hope) take a backseat tho

You should pick it up, just turn your brain off when they talk about buildings . ;)

Constructoon plot is central to d story...for each character however small..so u gotta move past that..but they dont talk architecture or planning much in the show..and think of her as construction manager who needs to be there on the site for her to interac5 with the hero 😊

Ha ha.. me too! I don't understand a single thing when they talk about the construction stuff.

That' s exactly what comes to my mind reading the comment hehe..

All the Office jugglery about construction can turn anyone off. 6 episodes in and they are still discussing the same thing. I think it will be a skyscrapper and that needs lot of testing but I'm sure your are talking about the technical stuff of construction and how nonsensically its presented in the show.

what irked me the most was :
1) Moon Soo is doing 4 diff jobs at once. Land survey, structure design/calculation, and pumbling design are all done by different companies in real life. Her supposedly main job (maquette/model making) is usually done for presentation or aesthetic purpose, not to check the building structure like she claimed.
2) All that land, structure and pumbling checking is supposed to be done BEFORE construction begin. No wonder the retaining wall is collapsing, they're checking it while they building it lmao

Ok, the next time I am going to watch them talking about the construction stuff, I think there is a high probability that I might giggle, lol. 😋

Well, you can't have 100 procedural accuracy in Korean Melodrama genre, especially Korean romance Melodrama. . IT's not it's impossible .. It's just rare to find 100 accuracy. As long as it's make sense according to the world they created in and make us believe with the execution.

Regarding 2) I think the drama is trying to tell us that there was some corruption higher up and the checking was not done thoroughly before construction began, and they are trying to reduce costs to make a former landfill into a proper construction site. Several companies are involved here and Kang Doo is on a 'spy' mission to discover what is happening. But sure, I can understand how it's difficult to watch a drama on something you are an expert on!

The guy who "made" the land check is brother in law of the CEO - proceed no matter what is their life moto.

Hmm..d ceo made it clear..he is nt going to spend much so joo won n his company is respondible for everything 😃

I agree with your point, the part where they drill the ground to examine the soil again, I was like, that was supposed to be done before any construction or maybe during DEIA.
But I think that the writer wants to emphasize the construction problem since there are quite a lot of news about building collapsing in South Korea or the construction in general. I think it will be a big problem if that scene is the general practice there.

And yeah, I also quite confused when Moon Soo is doing lots of the jobs that is not supposed to be hers. Maybe her job scope wasn't just limited to make 3D model, plus she's being hired because she pointed out the flaw of the design of the building in ep 1.

I initially thought that she was doing all those research/site visits because she wanted to build an accurate model. Hmm guess not.

ypu could check this, I think is based on this, when the architects didn't put the reports of the static engineer in the blueprint...

I had a feeling it was technically nonsensical eventhough I have no knowledge about construction. I just don't pay much attention to the technical and business aspect of it. Focus instead on the human relations. :D

It's funny, plenty of my friends are architects as well, but they work as a team with statics and geologist, because without them any idea could go wrong. I think that was the point of this show. Normaly the architect makes the design of the building and all the other stuff is in the hands of experts. But here, the architect took all the blame for everything, which is nonsense. There needs to be the one who's responsible. Like when they were building a living and shoping complex in my capital and before anybody moved in it collapsed, there were some people injured, who were the employes of the undeground garage. The architect was not to blame, but the construction company, who didn't make any precautious mesures and was using only cheep materials from China and faked the geology report. There were several other buildings and one highway bridge which collapsed from this company.

We live in a period where money is everything. To save money rather to save all those lives on line is more important.

Yes, there are so many companies involved in building construction. It's never completely a person/company's fault if anything goes wrong.
I don't know in other countries, but in mine, the contractor usually redraw the building blueprint that architects made to combine it with structural & MEP (mechanical, electrical & plumbing) drawings. So they're responsible for the final blueprint.
Regarding the materials, the building owners have the final say in which materials to use. But, again contractor is usually the one who deal the supplier.
TLDR : everything that happened in the building construction is most probably the contractor's responsibility.

It depends as well how big is the project. Here in France they have a guy " maître d'oeuvre" who is looking over the project at the construction site if everything goes as planned, he is kind of inspector. If he finds out about wrong materials or problems with the ground and other stuff he can put the construction on hold.
In my country is kind of bigger mess, because there are lots of subcontractors which can be from other countries of EU. There it is difficult to have control over everything there and everybody is cheating in everything. Of course there's garantie like for 10 to 15 years but it's still difficult to charge someone with guilt. Like the bridge I mentioned, there were somebody's fathers dead or severely injured as well, but till now it's still lying on the law court's desk and no famillies were compensated. It's like 5 years already.

Ah jeeze. And here I was thinking it is an awesome workplace drama. I don't know squat about architecture so I though their working through the building construction to be pretty cool. I chalked up Moon-soo constant checks of the building structure to be their/her paranoia to ensure that the building is structurally sound in planning and execution. Is there anything else that you don't like about the architecture side that you find not true to life? There are a few beanies who are in the medical profession who find it difficult to watch medical dramas for similar reasons you cited.

While I'm not doctor or architect myself, I can relate on a relatively small level with your frustrations though through my hobbies of swimming and food in drama. When I see someone who is supposed to be a badass swimmer have poor technique or when a world renowned chef is worse than me 🙃, it annoys me. While I'm no master chef myself, I appreciate dramas like Temperature of Love because I felt that Yang Se-jong researched and tried as best he could to embody the badass chef that Jung-sun was.

Hahaha I can ignore little things like unrealistic construction site or the fact that Moon Soo never does her job and wandering around the construction site everyday, but I just don't understand why they didn't make her an architect or structural engineer if they want to give her that role.
Maquette making is just a handcraft, to put it simply. Anyone can do it. Being an architect and engineer required an university degree and years of experience. I'm just sad that my profession is being reduced to this. I mean, it's not that hard. You can find these things with a simple google research.

I'm curious if Moon Soo went to university, and wonder if part of her journey might be to become an actual architect or engineer. At the moment she's already working as a sort of apprentice, more than a maquette maker.

I noticed that she had a lot of competencies outside of her maquette making and thought that strange. I chalked it up to her studying at the time. But then the show never showed us anything that she was currently going to school. Neither did they show us anything--that I can remember--to show us that she went to university either. I just assumed it given the fact that she was hired and has a desk and all that. Ah jeeze. I preferred when ignorance was bliss. Although this is reminding of how easily I just let things go when they don't add up in my head at first in dramaland. It takes like a second and then I'm like ok, doesn't make sense, but whatever.

*SPOILER* IIRC the character description said that she graduated from university with an architecture degree, but it hasn't been clarified on the show.

Like any character ever does their job in a kdrama. Profession is just a prop itched on their forehead. Dramawise Moon Soo isn't rich to follow an engineering route. Then Stereotype of women avoiding these streams come into play. As for making models - There are dozens of 3d model making s/w and applications already in market. All these physical models are just for showcase

These days I find my brain automatically turning off whenever any technical subject be it law/engineering/medicine/politics is being discussed, anyway what would I do with understanding those things which might not be necessarily correct. I just watch the remaining plot.

You would miss a great show by ignoring JBL, try to give t anither chance by ignoring its flaws which are very few.

Ugh, it's such a great show, but I totally feel your pain! I'm a professional musician, and every time there is a show or s movie about musicians, my friends all expect me to love it. Only I never, ever do. The worst of all time was Mr. Holland's Opus. I'm still salty about that one, and it's old now. But UGH! No. Just no.

Just Between Lovers: Love love love everything about this drama. From the cast, to the setting, the story, the emotions that I’m fully invested in. Another gem drama that I’m proud that I found it. 💕💕

Hwayugi: I like the premiere and it sucks on what happened on behind the scene. I hope TvN will solve the issue asap, regroup and re-evaluate their production team. Nevertheless, I’m excited to see LSG on the screen again and love his chemistry with OYS.

Two Cops: Honestly, I’m getting bored with the storyline, but the only thing that keep me watching is Jo Jung Suk. He’s such a versatile actor and I love the way he talks, he walks etc. Gosh, he’s a really one hottie. 😍

I wanna start Jugglers and Prison Playbook, but I don’t have much time right now to commit with another drama. ☹️

Finished Another Oh Hae-young this week and I loved it! Drama has some of kdramaland’s steamiest kisses.

Just Between Lovers and Wise Prison Life are both love. I love these shows so much.

COMPLETED

Forest of Secrets: I finished this just in time for the end of the year and I'm glad I did. The overall quality of this show is very high. I would watch a season 2 of this.

ONGOING

Circle: One of these days I'll get past episode 1 and finish this drama.

Hwayugi: I'm saddened by the cause of the recent preemption of this drama and I really hope they not only get it sorted soon, but it brings about the necessary change that it should. I really liked the first two (2) episodes that have aired thus far. Hoping the work out everything first before they start airing again and things resume smoothly soon. I miss my Monkey King!

Just Between Lovers: This drama is really quite good. It addresses pretty weighty topics in a way that does not feel like it's draining my soul. Junho is killing it here and Won Jin-ah is equally up to the task. I want to see how the show will meaningfully address the issues of PTSD and see our OTP get on track for some stability and happiness.

Is anyone watching the webdrama Unexpected Heroes? The last episode was uploaded yesterday (10 episodes) but it seems like there should be a season 2.

Thanks to all the beanies who kept talking and gushing about just between lovers that I checked it out and it's really good. I have watched till episode 5 and I love how they peel back the past in layers and layers and every time they reveal something, it feels like I should have already figured it out but still couldn't. I didn't even read the synopsis for this drama, except for whatever I randomly read in the fanwall and in what we are watching threads, I didn't know anything about the drama but was pleasantly surprised by my reactions to it. So, thank you beanies!

And it is like the exact opposite of I am not a robot (the only other drama I am watching) in mood and tone, so for me they balance each other out and I am currently enjoying them both.

One question though, is webtoon artist unnie also a survivor of the mall collapse? It wasn't explicitly told, but unnie would tell moon soo that she kept singing the bull dog manson song in the hospital, so I thought she could be a survivor too and that's how they became friends.

Also, happy new year, beanies! I hope all your wishes come true this year! Cheers! ☺️

I’m not really sure if she’s one of the survivors and I think they’re already friends before the accident happened. Unnie asked Moon-soo if her memory lost was not limited to the accident when she (Moon-soo) answered hospital when asked if she remembered how they met.

Oh, thanks for clarifying, Giegie! :)

You’re welcome! :)

looks like we are watching same drama again :D

Haha Hi fellow Mad Dog fan!

What can we say...we love underdog gems. ;)

I feel like mirroring when reading your post.hahaha. I am just like you. I read so many great reviews of JBL from the beanies (gomawo, chingu-ah) that I started watching it (I am still in ep. 2). Surprisingly, the genre is total opposite of IANAR (That I am watching as well) but I can still fully enjoy both shows. hahaha.

<One question though, is webtoon artist unnie also a survivor of the mall collapse?

I don't think it has been 100% established, but I think they are implying this – it would reinforce the message of the drama (how corruption affects people: accidents happen and not just the two leads are affected, but a whole lot of people, in different – emotional and physical – ways). We see several survivors (two leads, this friend), relatives (the parents' suffering, the sister's, and others), the victims that didn't survive (younger sister, the guy's father) and even the suffering of the people who were to "blame" (the guy who committed suicide & his son).

My interpretation is that they met at the hospital and became friends then.

I thought the rating is not that bad for a JTBC drama ?

I watched Junho only in Cold Eyes before in which his appearance was too short. After JBL, he definitely is the best actor in 2PM.

I heard JBL is in a new (later) time slot so it's more of an experiment for JTBC.

I hope he's eating sufficiently now. No wonder he looks skinnier than in Chief Kim. He takes his roles very seriously (best 2pm actor for me) but I hope he takes care of his health!

We just need Chief Kim Season 2 next year, and he will eat a lot again. 😆

Jugglers
I liked the focus on the assistants at the beginning, so I’m a little bit disappointed that the drama is now like so many other rom-coms. I would have loved for the drama to show more of the female assistants. Wang Jeong Ae and Hwangbo Yul are really cute though! 

Nothing to Lose
Dong Ha is everything! I was impressed with his acting in Chief Kim, Suspicious partner and even more here! His thunder in one moment and his acting through his eyes in the next moment are just perfect.

Now for the best dramas at the moment for me:
Just Between Lovers
I love love love this drama! I can’t say this enough, everything is just perfect! At the beginning I came for Junho but I fell in love with the whole drama. The last scene in episode 6 was just beautiful and the beginning of a romance felt never this pure before.

Prison Playbook
Even though the episodes are around 1.5 hours, they never feel long to me. I loved the focus on Je Hyuk’s and Joon Ho’s friendship in the last two episodes. And aren’t Joon Ho and Je Hee the cutest grown-up new couple ever?

"What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more)" that pretty much sums up all of my feelings regarding Hwayugi. To a T. I'm so devastated that we won't be getting any new content this weeks but I get that the crew's safety comes first. Also I'm okay with any measures that they have to take in order to keep the production value up.

I did try to watch some other shows...

I'm Not a Robot: It's cute but somehow the show is not producing any sort of emotional (positive or negative) from me. I did get some goosebumps during a couple of scenes but nothing noteworthy. I watched up to episode 16. I'll keep an eye on the show because now I want to know how it all ends.

While You Were Sleeping: I just started this one a few minutes ago. Anything starring Lee Jong Suk is on my must watch list. And now I feel like rewatching Pinocchio...

Same hier😁

CURRENTLY WATCHING

I'm Not A Robot: I'm behind this so I'm still at the cute parts of the show. Loving the chemistry between Yoo Seung-ho and Chae Soo-bin - shows how a well casted drama can make an unconventional, albeit weird plot work. Does knowing about the upcoming angst make it hurt less when I finally reach it? (Probably not)

Jugglers: Feels weird to be only watching rom-coms this week, but again, loving the development of the show this week especially. Can Chi-won and Yoon-yi get even cuter? Choi Daniel makes all the small gestures Chi-won do so swoony. Help. Also, petition for more internet cafe duels between Yool and Gun-woo :~)

PLANNING TO WATCH:

Hwayugi: I know this show has been caught up in production issues, huge ones at that, but the plot sounds fascinating and I still want to give it a shot. Will pick up when Eps3-4 air, or maybe earlier if I can't wait to see Lee Seung-gi on my screen LOL

Just Between Lovers: I actually watched this drama until Ep 2, but with some unhappy things happening I put it on hold until I was ready to appreciate the show. Take my heart now, show!

I'm watching:
I'm Not A Robot. To be honest, if someone told me that they thought I was a genius - for a project that everybody else thinks is a failure, I might kiss them too. Even if they don't look like Min-Kyu. And I love a show where the angst is thoroughly logical

Just Between Lovers: I'm almost at the point where I don't want to watch the rest of the series, because I DO NOT want ANYTHING BAD to happen to those two people. You hear me Dramaland? But I know that if nothing bad happens, there isn't anything to fill the next episodes. But it will end well, won't it? won't it? So much heart-breaking stuff has already happened to these two people that I don't want (for example) Gang doo to get a flash of red mist and kill someone and end up in prison. I want them to heal each other and live happily ever after. These two are so good together.

That said, I'm also watching Smart Prison Living, and that show has taught me that pretty much everybody in prison is wrongfully convicted. Or is it just this particular cell block? I started watching it by cutting every episode in 30 minute slices, but then watched the last 3 in a 4.5h binge. So yeah, maybe I'll admit to being addicted. I enjoy all the stories and, funnily enough, am probably least invested in what's going to happen to our baseball player. I don't really care if he's going to end up with Ji ho or not. I do want to know if Captain Yoo is going to get out or not. And what Joon-ho's deal is. And what's going to happen with Looney and his other half. Baseball man is just the glue holding everything together.

I also want answers to your thoughts about Smart Prison Living.

Can't wait for the coming episodes!

I remember some officers commented about Je-hyuk's cellmates being one of the "tamest" among other inmates. As for most of them being wrongfully convicted, I think as far as we knew, it's only Capt. Yoo and Dr. Go (who knowingly took the fall for the company). The rest of them are guilty for their respective conviction. I like the diversity, though. Like how Shin Jae-ha's character and Je-hyuk are in prison because of their carelessness. Looney for his bad habit. Min-cheol is a gangster prone to violence once, but he has been imprisoned for too long that he realized his former life choice wasn't something he wanted to do again. On the other hand, I can believe that someone like Kaist would get released then back to con other people for their money. I think it's realistic enough since there are many reasons people ended up in prison.

I was being rather tongue-in-cheek. But Looney wouldn't be in prison if his mother hadn't specifically told their lawyers not to get him out, and is Shin Jae-ha's character the guy who wouldn't have gone to prison if only the company he worked for had paid the insurance? I totally agree with you that Kaist would con someone again and I thought it was very funny when his wife (ex-wife?) was being conned by Je-hyuk's previous cellmate.

Just Between Lovers is my go to show at the moment ❤ I probably would've skipped over it, but checked it out because of all the Beanie love it's been getting. Also watched the first episode of Jugglers and that seemed promising 😊 I haven't been able to catch up on anything since Christmas though because of internet issues so I've spent most the week just staring longingly at fanwall posts whenever I do get online haha

Her beanies! Im currently watching jugglers, im not a robot and hwayugi. But since hwayugi is gonna be slow paced with episodes this week, i was wondering which show should i pick up... Ive been hearing a lot about just between lovers. The shows not being recapped so Im not sure if its worth my time. Any opinions?

As for jugglers, its cliche in all the right places, and the funny is actually funny. I thought i couldnt choose between im not a robot and this shoe, but honestly, this week, this show took the lead.

Im not a robot: cute cute cute. But the angst is making me depressed. I understand the angst, i really do. I know why she cant tell him shes human, and why hes angry at her.... but i feel like theres more angst down the road this week and i dont wanna spend the rest of the show this way until the main couple gets together.

Hi @JustMe, I'm watching Just Between Lovers, and I like it more than all the 3 other shows you mentioned that you're watching.

JBL has a certain weightiness to it without being a drag, that makes it feel it's worth spending time on, and it seems to be a memorial of sorts to other disasters, I'm not sure but the opening credits have images of these. It is making a comment on what a true memorial to loss might be and whether that loss can ever be compensated.

On the one hand it is a little sad, but on the other, this makes me so much more invested in the couple who have gone through much loss and PTSD and survivor's guilt, and who have found each other.

It is however a very slow burn show. It did become even slower to me in Ep 3 but still it held my attention. The characters' portrayal is nuanced and layered, and therefore interesting and relatable, even for those of us who may not have PTSD.

The music is outstanding and the scenes evocative. It's as @Giegie says, a beautiful show. @Odilittante also described it perfectly in the previous "Team DB : What We Are Watching" post in http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/12/team-dramabeans-what-were-watching-83/

So I highly recommend it for a satisfactory, gentle, organic build up of a romance with all kinds of feels. Not too heavy, not too melo. I'm just hoping it has a happy ending, but you know, I think I can even enjoy the heartbreak if it does not. 😅 😆