Open Thread #533

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Hi Beanies !

Long time no see ! I've been busy because of uni and my laptop died two months ago so I can't watch as much dramas as I want 😔 Finding an internship is not as easy as I thought but I still have time.

Thankfully it's holidays and I can relax a bit. My first Christmas in Dusseldorf was great. The Christmas marketing is really pretty and I drank Glühwein (hot wine) for the first time ! The bad thing is classes start Monday. I don't want to go back to studying.

Also what I wish for this year in dramaland:
- Actresses - rookies or veterans - to appear more and to act interesting characters. Also more female ensembles !
- ‎Rookie actors to keep rising (Woo Do Wan, Yang Se Jong, Kim Jong Hyun, cast of Solomon's Perjury, cast of Chief Kim and more)
- Kim Sung Oh, Kim Seul Gi and other talented actors and actresses to lead GOOD dramas
- Kim Nam Gil not to die... not even fake death will be accepted
- Ha Ji Won and Lee Jun Ki in an epic sageuk with schemes and action (I know this duo's choices can be frightening for their respective fans but I am crazy ok? )
- A comedy that will make me laugh so loud my neighbors will come to complain. Maybe a sitcom?
- ‎A melodrama that will dehydrate my body from all the tears I will shed
- ‎Better working conditions for the staff (security, wages paid on time, less stressful working hours)

Happy Friday and again happy new year :D

Happy New Year! So glad to hear you're having fun in Düsseldorf. As for me, here's my list of wishes this year:
- one badass time-travelling drama where the ladies take no shit
- for Kim So Hyun to have an age-appropriate partner
- more Chae Soo Bin
- a remake of Jane The Virgin in dramaland :)

Happy New Year beanies!!!

Like a lot of people I need a Kim So Hyun x Yeo Jin Gu reunion and they are around the same age.
A drama remake of Jane.The Virgin sounds cool. I'm totally for it.

omg, Jane The Virgin is perfect for a kdrama adaption. Hell, the plot is the most kdrama-esque I've ever seen on US tv. Also, 'dream adaptions' should totally be the next theme of the month.

Love it <3 And I totally agree.

I LOVE JTV! I would kill for a kdrama adaptation of it.

I don’t know if I could handle seeing a certain character die again, though. 😭

Happy New Year to you too! Great to hear that the holidays in Dusseldorf have been great.

Regarding your wish for Kim Nam-gil .... it's to the point now where everyone gets nervous when they hear he's going to be in a new project, isn't it? :)

Happy New Year @mango Christmas in Düsseldorf plus Gluhwein sounds good but sorry to hear that your laptop died.

I was looking for something different and I’ve come across one documentary Save my Seoul which is kind of an anagram of soul and Seoul. After that I searched more about similar stuff to understand more about man’s behaviour in South Korea (but it can be applied to any other country with long patriarchal hierarchy) and I’ve found many. And I started to understand...and to be disgusted...and to be saddened.
The documentary talks about the thin line between prostitution and human trafficking in South Korea, but especially the common notion and role of a female in this country. Mostly men compare a woman to a rug, ones it’s dirty it stays dirty and nobody wants it. It talks about common abuse on women and alcoholism which is not considered as a sickness in SK, but it’s widespread and like sexual abuse towards women very tolerated. I wish the documentary could contain more of the actual problems like insufficient mental health system (alcohol is replacing everything), idolisation of perfect beauty and constant conflict of this blood and not blood relation matters. I could write about this for hours, but I can partially understand now how all the famous men could change so easily from sexual abusers to gold digging victimes and that even international fans defended them. Some girls were telling not guilty until proven, but this implies to everything even a murder. There was this idol guy telling in one variety show“When I’m 30 years old, I want to be a father. I’ll raise my children in a way that’s cool. I’ll give my son anything he wants and take care of him, so he can grow up well.As for my daughter, it’s a woman’s job to stay at home. If need be, I’ll hit her and keep her locked up at home.” How is this all f...ked up!!! I’m sorry to all this girls and women.

I had posted a al-jazeera episode few months ago. it was about stalking. Everyone talks about women abuse in African countries,Indian subcontinent, few south american countries,Campus abuse and all but people don't know how much of it is in japan, korea and Thailand. They have to showcase an image naa.
japan - https://youtu.be/ehbNJoxhkG8
korea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy4oFVuNPkg

Google and anyone can find dozens of articles and videos.

I posted on a fan wall shortcuts to another short documentaries and it's so sad. I'm so happy to live where I'm living now. this one is about single mothers and why children are put into adoption.

Would you happen to have a link to Save my Seoul?

thanks for the link, it looks like we need more SWDBS and Min-hyuks ;-)

Us K-drama fans are exposed to a very sanitised and idealised version of Korea. The Documentary sounds quite compelling.

this one is official trailer:

but you find it dramacool9 - I watched it there

I try to keep that in mind as I watch my k-dramas and j-dramas, even he c-dramas. It's often played off as a romantic gesture, but both sexes straight-up stalking the another person is not romance! Even as I swoon, I think of how it would feel in real life. And my response is to shudder and think, "whoa, scary".

I do the same! Which leads me to having very few oppa crushes, but honestly there is so much that is simply so off-putting. :/

Many thanks!

I watched it this week as well. It definitely messed with the Kdrama fantasy of a dreamy male hero. Old, young and middle aged men all had the same terrible misogynistic view of “those kinds of women” all the while exploiting them. I will never watch a room salon scene again without feeling queasy. The men aren’t there for the karaoke.

I thought that the karaoke bars were little bit strange, but I was like, they're there to have fun. The girls are getting all the time plastered, maybe to forget about the inappropriate behaviour? Now I see why Su-ji in BTIMFL was thinking that way.

@greenfields

Kdramas may be idealised...but these social structures are all too visible in Kdrama narratives. Its one of the reasons I drop a number of popular dramas...I don't need to support that horror...

For many older beanies these surface traits that indicate the darker underside are all too familiar to their own past.

Many of the issues we are discussing were prevalent (nae - the social norm) in the west 40 or 50 years ago. Many women and men had to fight societal norms and faced terrible consequences to get where we are now...and for a number of groups there is more to do.

Point very well made. Many of these social structures are indeed all too visible - in the roles and occupations of the chracters for instance. Office dramas where the bosses are rarely ever women, and if they are, then they are the 'evil' character or just generally a strict, 'unfeminine' character - and this is merely the 'cleanest' example I can think of.

@greenfields

Its more insidious than that.

Not only do K-dramas overwhelmingly define women by that damaging dichotomy of the Madonna/Whore complex (embedded with all its issues)...There is a predilection for male characters in both words and action to cast females more as possessions rather than independent beings.

This 2nd issue is particularly noticeable if there is any type of relationship (early affection, one sided love, employee, or even just acquaintance).

It is the negative flip side affect of the Oppa...and males extend this role of control and dominance to all aspects of the relationship...

It is how this possessive tendency is imposed when women are in any way independent where the social issues and the underlying truth of this abusive social power stucture really become visible.

*ahaha sorry CatoCat Drama Kun accurately lead me here - I have plenty of thoughts and wanna watch this documentary now that I know of it*

But I have to say, it sounds like they documented the prostitution business and general misogynistic atmosphere. But when you go looking for one thing, you may not give a fair/balanced view, but a view that it tilted in favour of/against your subject.

However, you've posted based also on your research about general prevailing attitudes towards women in South Korea, so I'd say it sounds like a balanced view. And this just makes me sad. :( How can someone get away with a statement like that on television, for instance.

the documentary isn't very complex, but they show the experts and you can search then for more information, when you know where to look at and it was so sorrowful sad that even police and government are one hand with the prostitution and sponsorship business - like when the guys came to a police station to ask for more information, they were like "nobody competent is here right now, they're on an event right now" - event means like to get amused by this poor girls that's why I understand now why in Jugglers Chi-won doesn't like Yoon-yi to serve this sly guys

:( I watched a short documentary on the suicide patrol at the Han river, off the big bridge (can't remember the name) in Seoul - and it was pretty distressing even just watching from worlds away.

I'm sure a longer, well-researched documentary like the one you're citing is likely to be even more distressing. Sadly, the govt and police are usually hand in glove with prostitution in most countries? Certainly in mine.

(lets say corrupt officials, not the govt itself)

Thank you BC and CatoCat for posting about such issues,
it's an neccesary thing to burst the bubble of k-dramas from time to time and this is an interesting way to do it, especially when we all come from different cultures and backgrounds.
l look into the links

My daughter is teaching in the Seoul area, and told me she had seen this documentary through church a few months ago. Her small group had quite an interesting discussion afterwards, with one SK-native group member believing that the issue was overblown and that human trafficking wasn’t a big problem in SK, and that women choose that life. My daughter and other group members were more familiar with the issue (my daughter having learned about it back home here in the states), and pointed out to the other member some things they have previously learned about it. It amazes me that culturally, some women in SK would try to sweep this under the rug.

that's the saddest thing about it, even when they asked some men what they think about it, they're like it's the women's choice and it's them who're seducing us, if it was my daughter I'would kill her, etc.

it's like they are so gross over Japan and comfort girls, who wouldn't, but on the other hand they're doing the same

That hypocrisy struck me too while I was watching it. I would think victumizing your own people is worse.

Just discovered that Save our Seoul is on Amazon Prime!

Just Between lovers - Awesome week. By 4th week I start to point out out the various issues with a show, but here i'm admant to not raise those issues value.
I was surprised to see a Just Between Lovers News post in mst comment section - learned that it is turned into a discussion thread. heh
@Mickhydrama likes Rurouni Kenshin movies. I always put those 3 movies in my future watchlist but this week i was stubburn enugh to download 10gb and watched them in 3 days. Overhyped Movies. side characters having better fight scenes. Lack of coharent story and weak emhasis on the theme or message.

I was just googling Youtube and look what i found
Exciting india - https://youtu.be/Szdx3WOUF9w
As i've no interest in K-pop so can't recognize the idols

Yay, fellow Just Between Lovers' fan. I don't know about that discussion thread about JBL. Thank you for the information, I'm heading there.

Join them. Its already 2 pages. I won't join and keep on commenting about lovers in OT and What you're watching posts. Just between lovers is testing my patience levels. I'm ready to give it benefit of doubt anymore.

Yay, come on over! We are congregating 🎪over at the post from Nov.20th. All JBL watchers are welcome!

Hi @CatoCat Drama Kun, thanks for the info on JBL comments, but how do I get to the Most Commented Section?

Its the Bottom section of Homepage. Scroll and Scroll

OR Use(find aka ctrl+f and type the word)

OR
Homepage >(tap end button of ur keyboard and then just scroll a bit above)
Here is the post - http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/11/bound-by-tragedy-healing-through-love-in-jtbcs-just-between-lovers/

I think members of DB can see that section's link too.

Thanks @CatoCat Drama Kun! 🌼

Found it!!! 😊 So happy to read and join the discussion on JBL. 😁

Thanks for this! I wouldn't have known that beanies are discussing there without you!

For all active in that post
1. Tag @membername(those who watch this show) - members get notification naa when someone tags them?
(we don't want to annoy non-watchers)

Hope most visitors of DB who are also Viewers of Just Between lovers are reading this OT post.

Gonna tag that thread post tomorrow too.

Can I just comment on Exciting India? I loved it and hated it all at the same time. >_< On one hand, ooo idols in India, in Bombay no less, at tourist spots mere walking distance from my home! But they were so criminally unprepared for the task they were given. And had zero knowledge about anything and/or how to approach K-pop in a foreign country.

To me, it really drove home the saying that, "If you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its life thinking that it is stupid." No one doubts Kyuhyun, Minho or any of the others aren't intelligent, passionate, talented and amazing people, but they were completely out of their depth, and it showed.

I watched a bit of it as i'm not much into fake reality tv shows and they clearly looked doing stuff for the episode aka show. They showed lack of interest and i felt they will still in "we are kidols" land.

AKB is launching its sister version in Mumbai MUM48.
You have heard about it or not?
Also Pitch in for BC's comment too.

Are you serious? MUM48? I had no idea. *goes to ask google*

*returns* Asianjunkie says:
"This news was later confirmed in a report, which I was waiting for because I kinda thought this was some kind of prank. From what I’ve gathered, everybody is as perplexed by this decision as you are right now."

Err.. I'm thoroughly confused and not entirely welcoming of the idea. I simply can't imagine such a group here - is this how Japanese and Korean people feel about idols in their own country? I just know too much about the dirt in my own country

But who knows? I might be terribly wrong. I'm open to being wrong, but as of now, not too open to the idea of this group.

BC's comment up above? Re the documentary? Yeah I wanna watch it.

AKB groups keep growing its as if they fear if they stop people, will notice they really not the dominating force they once where in the days of the super stars of AKB with the likes of Acchan and she left 2012 and they never found a girl to replace her. Of course they still number one Idol group in Japan as they pretty much an institution

I watched this show last year and was surprised at the K-Pop boys' diappointment of not being recognized in India. As far as I know, India has its unique entertainment culture,Bollywood etc. that is hard to penetrate. Weren't they-or the PDs-aware of that...

@greenfields I saw your comment after posting mine about Exiting India and I totally get it. I enjoyed the episode maybe because I went into it expecting that it will be crappy and stereotypical. I guess in a way I was laughing at the idols confusion and their frustration at not being recognized. It was funny to me that they didn’t know that India has one of the largest entertainment industry in the world. They missed out on actually learning something new. I guess that was not the real purpose of their visit or the show!

oh, there is little part of the discussion, very interesting one, about JBL but they call it Just Lovers in

@Cato Cat Drama Kun, I wanted to comment about the Exciting India link. I watched 3/4th of the first episode and surprisingly enjoyed it. It was obvious that they were unprepared from the beginning so it made it funny. I had very low expectations (I usually give major side eye to any travel show to India) and was surprised that they at least showed truthful things.
While I wish these shows were better researched (the whole segment With the guys from Super Junior bringing his own soon!) and more thoughtful I guess I’m glad it wasn’t just dancing, curry, and elephants.
Highlights for me so far were when one of them thought the bowl of water to wash your hands is tea and the mention of SRK!

Hello, everyone! Happy Friday! 🎉🎊

Last week I talked about being worried that I was getting burnt out on dramas but I really shouldn’t have been worried. Looks like that was just a funky day for me!

Here’s what I’m watching:

Smart Prison Living: No new eps last week :( So looking forward to this week being subbed!
I’m Not a Robot: Oh, this week got me right in the heart! How are Chae Soo-bin and Yoo Seung-ho SO GOOD? I’m excited and scared for next week. How much angst will there be? Will she be up-front and tell him everything? Ugh! I don’t want more angst but it seems necessary at this point in the story for the emotions to be believable!
Just Between Lovers: Still loving it and praying for no noble idiocy. I just want Moon-soo and Gang-doo to be happy at the end. That is all I am asking.

And older dramas:

Circle: Binged this a few days ago and LOVED IT. I NEED a season 2! Need it! More than any potential season 2 ever! I’ve fallen for Gong Seung-yeon after this show. Her eyes are amazing. I can’t wait to see her in Are You Human Too later this month. She has led me to watch...
My Only Love Song: What a ridiculous, delightful show! I’m only a few episodes in but I’m having so much fun watching it.

Dal-ja’s Spring is on hold simply because I’m worried I’m burning through LMK’s filmography too quickly. 😂

I’ve been watching Because This Life is Our First with the BFF and she’s loving it, woohoo! Mission accomplished! We stopped after episode 11 last time and she was freaking out. It was great. The last 5 minutes of each episode get her so bad.

I'm glad it's not just me with I'm Not a Robot.I totally agree with you - I had to keep pausing it because I couldn't take their pain and angst but then I knew I had to press play to see what happens next...and gah! What a cliffhanger! You knew it was going to happen but the way they did it raised all those deliciously painful questions so beautifully.

If anyone needs me, I'll be over here, in a glass case of emotion, drowning in all the tears.

Happy New Year everyone.
K-dramas last year left to be desired (especially since I watched a ton of old dramas, so the 2017 ones felt meh).

I just discovered that one of my guilty-pleasure shows, Mistresses, is on track to be a k-drama at OCN. And I just want to ask : Why?
That show had a cheater (I enjoyed that part so much) one that got in a relationship with her dead lover's son, one who got in a relationship with another parent but then her husband was alive, and a free spirit who fell in love with another woman who was in a committed relationship.
Even the US adaptation was a complete mess. How much justice can a korean version make? Especially since they're ok with complete violence but hate sex in tv. 😡😡😡😡😡

Really, the version of mistresses I know is different. If I can remember it consists of 4 women that are friends and shows their relationship with men. But it also had a lot of sex scenes too. I dropped it though so I am not sure.

Ooh i did see this and the US version was my guilty pleasure. I wonder if they would be able on get KYJ for this since she was in the US Version as Karen and I loved her

OT Week 48! I hope your week is going well! Happy 2018! Did you celebrate the New Year with friends or family or both, as I did? It's absolutely frigid here in the heartland. I've spent less than 5 minutes outside all week on account of it! But that's ok, because I have dramas to keep me warm!

Speaking of, I did an end of year review thinking I would submit it to DB, but alas, I missed the deadline (way too much holiday stuff to complete, and barely made it through that)! Not to worry, though, I just posted it to the blog I do for my own vanity. It's here and very superficial, so there's that! https://freethekimchi.wordpress.com/2017/12/28/my-first-year-in-dramas-new-to-me-actors-to-admire/

Dramas I did watch this week...I finished Forest of Secrets and those last few episodes FINALLY reeled me in and I didn't let go. And I agree with everything mary said in her end of year review about lovely Weasel. I'm looking forward to his next project now!

I continued I'm Not a Robot, but am woefully behind, like, so behind that I can't lurk on the Beanie wall on account of all the spoilers and the angst. Because I'm not even halfway there yet! And whoever this Tilda person is, sounds like she needs her own drama! I'm laughing at myself over here, because of the random names they give these characters. Tilda and Johnny should probably be Matilda and John if we were going to give them names. Sounds like what they were called by their parents when they were 2 years old. LOL!

Started 20th Century Boy and Girl with the hubs. Oh my word, how adorable is this OTP? I've always liked Kim Ji Suk, but he is just so charismatic here and his English is impeccable. I'd love to work with him and would gladly be his work-wife in corporate Hong Kong. Nevermind that I know next to nothing about finances and the stock market. I'm a quick study!

And does Kung Fu Panda count? LOL. My daughter has been really battling a virus and we've been camped out on the couch all week watching all these with her. Really, laugh out loud funny, with a great message and lots of cute pandas.

So, this conversation happened as I was listening to the soundtrack of Love Rain (my husband's favorite OST) this week:

Hubby: I can't listen to this tonight *takes my phone and pushes the pause button*

Me: Why not? *Really, it came out as "wah noth" because I was brushing my teeth at the time.*

Hubby: Because all I'll want to do tonight is cuddle and look into your eyes, and stroke your hair, and then I won't get what I really need!

Me: LOLOLOLOLOLOL! ROTFLOL!

Moral of the Story: All we did was cuddle that night.

2nd Moral: Behold the power of the OST!

3rd Moral: I'm working on this month's theme and *fingers crossed* it gets accepted, but if not, you'll know where to find it. *Shamelessly plugging her own blog*

I'm also behind IANR well every drama currently airing lol. Tilda's existence is so intriguing.

OTP and friends are indeed adorable in 20th Century Boy and Girl !

Kung fu Panda is cool even if I still didn't watch the last one.

The last one is the best one...in my very un-expert opinion. 😝

I'm behind on INAR too - I like it but kind of forget about it once the episode's over. I haven't hit the angst yet though. Sounds like I need to check out 20th Century Boy and Girl!

My kids love Kung Fu Panda too, and it's much less painful for adults than some of the other things they find on Netflix :)

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is cute, but not enough to stay on top if it.

And 20th century I like because the actors are older, I think. You know, I think I like thinking I could be friends with these people. LOL!

hahahaaha - that is a great piece for last month's theme - Brooding Oppas! My favorites were Ahn Min Hyuk (Park Hyung Sik, Strong Woman Do Bong Soon and Bae Dong Moon (Seo Young Joo, Girl's Generation 1979 i.e. the characters portrayed by these specific actors. The only Oppa of my choice is Min Yoongi, who doesn't act - ahaha.

Gotta agree also on how the first drama year is. It gives me nightmares just to think about it now - my Black Hole of Shame. ^^;

No judgement here. I didn't see as many live airing dramas as some Beanies (I read that someone saw over 30!). But the older ones I saw were all good, and just to plug White Christmas again--I saw this earlier this year and was absolutely enthralled by it.

*laughing*

You stated exactly what I thought about whoever Tilda is!! ..... I've been like, "Oh! Tilda's seems like quite the troublemaker, but with the right casting and good writer, a good show can happen!"

I’d watch that!

[Shamelessly cross-posted from Ally's blog.]

Manseh, Ally!!! Happy New Year!

You hit most of the high points, my dear. I'd just have to add Yang Se-jong for his first sageuk, SAIMDANG (he looks terrific in hanbok), first thriller, DUEL (with his triple role plus one clone impersonating the other!), and first romance with a side of makjang, TEMPERATURE OF LOVE. Its ending wasn't to my liking, but his performance (and smooches) were a revelation for a guy whose debut role in ROMANTIC DOCTOR, TEACHER KIM just over a year ago was about as tsundere as you can get. And don't forget Woo Do-hwan in MAD DOG, who emerged on my radar in SWEET STRANGER AND ME just over a year ago. His Jan Gebauer/Kim Min-joon could be Prosecutor Jang Do-han's scheming kid brother.

Yoon Si-yoon floated my boat just fine in THE BEST HIT, which had great music and Kim Min-jae as his aspiring idol son -- and Cha Tae-hyun as his long-suffering manager. I know it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but it set me off on a YSY retrospective that was great fun. Viva, Enrique Keum and Kim Tak-goo!

Keep your eyes peeled after HWAYUGI finishes (I know, it's barely begun) for the debut of LIVE (as in the adjective). Shin Dong-wook's next role will be as a cop. You can book me anytime, Officer. ;-)

Let's not forget all the oppas and ahjussis in REBEL, with Kim Ji-suk turning in a surprisingly sympathetic portrayal of Yeonsangun, and Kim Sang-joong, Yoon Kyun-sang (Gil-dong), and Sim Hee-seop as the founding Hong and his two sons who stole the people. I've got Joseon tyrant overload after Lee Dong-gun's stunning turn as Yeonsangun facing off against his kid brother Yeon Woo-jin in SEVEN DAY QUEEN. Last but not least, Song Seung-heon was simply fabulous in his duel role as a reaper and his human host in BLACK. (Just beware the ending.)

Finally, RIP Kim Ju-hyeok. His turn as GU AM HEO JOON was one of my favorite sageuk roles. I still have 7 episodes of ARGON to look forward to.

Great list! Unfortunately, I couldn’t finish any of Sejong’s dramas so couldn’t write about them. I have yet to finish Rebel as well. I’m racking up quite a list of unfinished dramas! And Argon, I knew there was a reason I keep being sad when Netflix keeps reminding me about it. What a sad year it was for the too young to be gone.

As a loyal viewer of Father is Strange, so happy about Lee Joon and Jung So Min!!!!

Best news of 2018 yet! 😂

Yes indeed, so happy for two of my favourites. I don't know why but the moment I saw their dating news, I start to envision how their baby will be like-- cute, pretty and with long legs!!

Yes!!!!! so happy for them. I saw the dispatch pictures and they looked cute (Never knew dispatch pics could be this expressive).

IKR! It makes the best news for me on New Year. when FIS was airing, I watched all of their parts and BTS. Even when the cameras are off, JoongHee loving eyes which are for MiYoung are still there for SoMin. I rarely ship any leads in the dramas I've watched to be real life couple, here I just couldn't stop wishing Lee Joon and Jung SoMin would end up together, but with his enlisting, I couldn't get my hopes up. Though many couples broke up because of that very reason, they chose to follow their hearts. That is amazing.
I don't know how the future may change, but I want JoonMin to stay strong until 2019 and then let me hear the wedding bells :))
Sorry for the long and boring confession of a fangirl.

HI happy new year beanies

Happy New Year to you too!

Happy Friday beanies!

Crying over Nothing To Lose, this show had a potential to be a good one, if only the writing and execution were done right. The plot supposedly to be heavy and more suitable as a melodrama genre, not a romcom. Yeon Woo-jin is criminally underutilised here, just like Kang Hanna in Just Between Lovers. sigh. I thought I wanted to see epi 27 at first, but then I was curious about what happened in epi 25-26. So I decided to go back from epi 24. Still in the middle of watching it. One thing for sure, actors saved this drama with their 150% efforts to make every scene alive.

Read that Kim Hyun-joo was offered a lead role with Kim Myung-min in new drama (KMM was offered earlier) , I hope this will become true! Although they are still considering. Many of my favourites are coming back for the first half of this year, I can only pray their drama will be the good ones!

I'm currently on epi 12 and I am still watching for the cast especially Dongha but like you said it's a waste.

I left around epi 10 I guess, but after seeing some screenshots at FW, I decided to pick up from epi 24 😅 I love Park Eun-bin to pieces, she and Yeon Woo-jin really deserved better drama.

I find Won Jin Ah in JBL is much better in acting than Kang Ha Na, she has the same expression in all her scenes maybe its the character which is not doing much in the show.

I believe it's the character, she isn't given enough things to do. Won Jin-ah on the other hand is the heroine, it makes sense if she is seen to have much better acting because she has more things to do, which on in the hand of wrong actress, will show more of her weaknesses.

I think I stopped at episode 20 but hoping to continue. The plot at times don't make sense but all the cast not only the lead cos even the supporting cast are amazing and I can see them doing their best, that's why I will finish watching the remaining episodes. If not I don't think I will stick around.

Do Han-joon is the only interesting character in Nothing To Lose, everyone else is meh. Plot is frustratingly confusing but I really lost it when the judge denied the arrest warrant for the rapist suspect just because he couldn’t remember what really happened. But, for some reason I’m still watching it. Lol

That what me mad more because my sole reason to watch is for Park Eun-bin and Yeon Woo-jin but this is another show when the focus given more to the second lead.

And that lead us to root for the second lead instead.

Not really for my case. LOL. I'm bias human being so when my favs aren't getting justice in their drama, I'll keep loyal to them.

wait, it was supposed to be a rom-com?

I believe it was.

Couldn't agree more!
I shed a tear for Jung Joo and Han Joon, even when the revelation of Prof Yoo Myung Hee as the mastermind was done so poorly.
How heartwrenching it would be, had it been done right 😭

Hi Beanies,

Drama seems to weave its way into Real Life more and more. I chatted to a friend yesterday, and she told me that a very good friend of hers is seriously ill in hospital. She WhatsApps her a 5 - 10 times a day, sometimes just sends her an emoji, just to remind her that someone is thinking of her. And I started to say: 'what you need to get is one of those...' and stopped myself just in time. Because heart lamps don't actually exist. Thanks to my fellow-Beanies for explaining in the recap discussion why the lamps are really so brilliant - before Ji-A herself did.

I also reached a new Dramabeans milestone by not only becoming a Noble Idiot, but also submitting my first post for Theme of the Month. To add screencaps, and get it just right, I watched... too many incidents of the Truck of Doom. It was quite disturbing.

What did amuse me was that, even though I know it doesn't work like this, I imagined that I was totally messing with Netflix' recommendation system (you seem to like... trucks? do you want to watch Monster Truck?) In fact, if Netflix and Viki shared information on my viewing habits, it might go something like: you seem to like things with Trucks and Robots? Do you want to watch Transformers?
So maybe it's a good thing that I have to wait a week before I can watch more INAR (it really isn't)

Happy Friday!

HAHAHA! Transformers! Because that is actually on my Netflix recommendations, as well as Pokemon, Ninjago, and a host of shows my son watches.

TRANSFORMERS! LOL

Can anyone recommemd goo story from wattpad

I read stories from wattpad too but I cant recommend without knowing the sort of genre you prefer.

If you like romance stories then you should check out Chasing Red. :)

Hi Everyone!

I hope you are all doing well today. ..... To any Beanies who find themselves in the east coast of the U.S., stay warm! I saw the images of big waves splashing onshore and then instantly freezing!!

This week:

Jugglers - From the clueless office staff to fluffy slippers, it's just so much fun watching this!

Black Knight - Kim Rae-won. I've always found him kind of interesting ..... but suddenly now, a little more.

Just Between Lovers - Still haven't watched this week's episodes, but from the Beanies' fan wall posts, I know it continues to be good. ..... And yay! I found the discussion thread here where the Beanies have been hanging out!

That's all for now. ...... Take care everyone and have a great Friday!

Hi, can't talk right now because I am making frogs, but I 'll be back.

Making frogs...?

LOL, I scrolled down to your comment as I was saying what you wrote aloud! 😂

origami like or in lab ;-) ?

frogs from train tickets. duh.

anyway, I think I need some help with my entry for this months´ theme, but I´ll post the question on my wall, it is a bother looking in Open Thread all the time

also when the hell is Prison Playbook ep 11 going to get subbed already. should I make more frogs? huh?

Have fun making the frogs!

Will there be a froggy display at the museum?

now, it is just my co-workers have been a little too obedient in collecting recycling materials, they even got the toy train driver that shuttles between our museum and old town involved and we´ve got loads of tickets, maps, gift certificates, receipt paper rolls, heck, they even collected all the pizza boxes, where the hell am I going to put all this? so we are just making little gifts for families and children.

That's neat that you're taking the time to do that.

It'll be a fun souvenir for the families and children of their visit to the museum!

Kdrama ponderings on a wintry day:

Every ER patient’s record in Korea: Patient ripped out IV and walked out.

Just Between Lovers: what’s wrong with me? I almost didn’t watch this and then on a whim I started and marathoned the first six episodes. I am totally in love with Joon Ho as Dong Goo. He is a really great actor, I know him as a member of 2 PM, but I’m super happy to see him on the screen. He reminds me a bit of Seo Kang Jun and Park Seo Joon (maybe better).

Jugglers: I’ve been marathoning this too, and originally it was for Daniel Choi, but I really like Baek Jin Hee’s acting, “Doing just what you’re told is the same as barely working.” Daniel Choi’s acting is a bit predictable. “Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!” Lee Won Geun is the smiliest "little punk" cutenik. The two-family story line, so weird and is an odd distraction, not to mention the Best Boss Award. And then Chi Won gave Yoon Yi a gift of scary rabbit slippers ~ and I was like, “What?”, and then, well the umbrella, and he smiled. And I melted.

I Am Not A Robot: Reset.

*spoiler* Master in the House: Lee Seung Gi is back in variety! Yook Seong Jae ♥♥Seung Gi bromance. I guess Yang Se Hyeong really is hot these days. New guy Lee Sang Yoon– hmmm, I think I like this combo! I knew the first master was Jeon In Kwon with the sunglasses hint and the mountains. (In Kwon said he lived in the mountains on Sketchbook one time.) And he strikes me as someone who doesn’t like young people talking too much. Looking forward to next week.

Happy weekend winter wonderland!

I really want to check out Master in the house, I pray it gets subbed. I also love just between lovers and jugglers.

I didn't even know it was safe to rip out your IV before drama. Is it? Isn't it? I don't know...

I know, scary. But just about every kdrama ER scene has that happen. And no medical person ever sees it happen.

Crazy horror sageuk idea: inspired by The Rose Elf/Isabella or the Pot of Basil. Two young people (likely one noble, one servant) fall in love. The lady's brother(s) hate him, so under the guise of sending him on a long and dangerous journey, they kill him and sever his body from his head. The lady discovers the body, and decides to take her beloved's head and plant it in a pot. How do you think this story ends?

Err, he grows a body back because he was actually an alien with self-regeneration powers? (sageuk sci fi).

OR She goes after the brothers swearing eternal revenge and cuts off their heads only to find that the second lead (aka the ambitious prince) was behind it all in his bid to the throne. She jumps of Cliff of Doom with the head.
(action/tragedy).

OR (I kind of like this one): A basil plant starts growing in the pot and fills all the village with a fragrance. She cries herself to sleep and turns into rain that waters the plant (folk storyish/fantasy)

LMAO!!!! @WishfulToki, all your scenarios are both morbid and hilarious!!!

I love all of those. I wish they were the real ending. Spoiler alert: She dies of loneliness, and (in The Rose Elf) her brother is killed by other elves in his sleep as a sort of revenge. People discover he's a murderer after they take the skull out of the pot. Fairy tales are weird. It could be so much better as a drama.

I like the real ending - a fantasy/thriller! Is there a novel? I thought it was a poem.

It's actually a surprisingly common story!

1300s: Boccaccio writes 'Isabella or the Pot of Basil'.
1800s: Hans Christian Andersen writes fairy tale 'The Rose Elf'. (I got a giant fairy tale book for Christmas, which is how I found it).
1900s: Based on Boccaccio, Keats rewrites poem 'Isabella or the Pot of Basil'. (I'm studying this poem at college right now).

The Rose Elf is too similar for it to be coincidence!

@frabbycrabsis. Cool, I knew the poem by Keats, but not that the story is from Boccaccio's Decameron. It does sound like a story worthy of a drama rewrite hehe.

Also, I love giant fairy tale books!

the story ends with both ejected from the virtual reality and discovering they are actually siamese twins.

The Scholar Who Walks the Night sees what's about to happen, and bites him before they kill him, so he survives. But the Scholar also moonlights as a righteous magistrate, and arrests the murderers, who are carried off by Grim Reapers after being scared to death by Arang. After the temporarily deceased wakes up and puts his head back on, he finds out he's a vampire. His lady friend figures it's less gross than his being a zombie who's always shedding bits and pieces, so she asks the Scholar to bite her, too. Then she and her sweetie do a "Goodbye, Franceska" and move to Transylvania where they open a B&B and mandoo, black bean noodle, and basil sorbet parlor. Since there's no soju, they have to make do with slivovitz.

"Scholar" took me to hell and back and I still finish all of it for Lee Jun-ki lol.
Do I regret it? Heck no. We had a ton of fun watching it together and the comments were priceless. Crappy dramas can be fun to watch with a group of dedicated fans.

I like the "Arang" and "Scholar" combo :).

*gently tosses snowball to Kiara*

I watched SCHOLAR WHO WALKS THE NIGHT in a 2-day binge a week before MOON LOVERS premiered. I was nuts. But it was part of my Lee Joon-gi retrospective. I watched TWO WEEKS earlier, and loved it, too. He did a good job, even if much of the rest of the show was kind of iffy.

I was tickled to bits to see Crown Prince Myongnong's faithful bodyguard, Kang-bok (Yeo Ui-Joo), from THE KING'S DAUGHTER, SU BAEK HYANG, morph into the honorable No Hak-young. He and LJG gave BUFFY's Angel and Spike a run for the money in the Sexy Undead department. I've been keeping my eyes open for his next role, and can only figure that he might have enlisted or something. Please come back to sageukland, YUJ!!

I didn't have time to read the recaps, so perhaps I should take a gander. ;-)

I thought that SCHOLAR and ARANG would be a natural for a mashup, too. And that's what I was able to come up with off the top of my head. God help me if I put my mind to it. ;-)

He had the most gorgeous Joseon attire in "Scholar." I love the wardrobe people.

I hope he'd pick dramas with good writers and PD in the future.

Yes please!

Instead of Joseon, set this in Three Kingdoms era for kickass manes o' glory and cool armor.

Okay! For casting, I'm going to go with No Hak-young (Yeo Ui-Joo) to play the Scholar.

LJG will play his best friend and leading man swordmaster because he has to be able to ride like a maniac on horseback. That's right! As long as he's going to lose his noggin for a spell, we might as well toss Washington Irving's Headless Horseman into the mix. ;-)

Yang Se-jong as LJG's kid brother.

Next up: Leading lady. Seo Hyun-jin? Moon Chae-won? Park Min-young? Lee Honey? (Someone with great chemistry and energy to match LJG, please.)

Shin Mi-na reprises Arang. With Z. Hera for a sidekick.

Yeon Woo-jin graduates from his reaper gig and returns as reincarnated Joo-wal, who's now a magistrate.

Cast Jang Hyuk and Kim Ji-suk as the noblewoman's dastardly (or just misunderstood?) brothers for a CHUNO reunion. (And get MC Sniper to do an OST.)

Cast Ha Ji-won and Kang Dong-won as No Hak-young's swordfighting twin siblings! (Tip of the hat to DUELIST and DAMO.)

Cast Kam Woo-sung in a cameo as The King.

His faithful general & hunting companion: Yoon Tae-young (assassin Ku-chon in KDSBH).

For the queen(s): Woo Hee-jin (Court Lady Oh) or Park Ji-young (Queen YooShouldn'taHadKids), both from MOON LOVERS.

Jo Hyun-jae can run around as the prince of Shilla instead of Baekje, while leading Hwarangs with fabulous hair and even better fighting skills. (Tip of the hat to the BALLAD OF THE PRINCE.)

Kim Roe-ha and Kim Min-kyo as loyal soldiers & bromance/comic relief.

Jade Emperor and King of Hell cameos -- and the Flowery Goat!

Yay for the 3 kingdom era! I approved of the characters.
Can I bribe you into giving our most underrated Lim Ju-hwan a lead role? No wigs please. Make him grow a real mane.

Anything for you, Kiara! Stipulate home-grown manes for the entire cast. Check!

I haven't seen Lim Ju-hwan since SHINE OR GO CRAZY. My spider sense told me to skip BRIDE OF THE WATER GOD, and I listened.

How about having Lim Ju-hwan play Jo Hyun-jae's kid brother? That ought to take care of the Hwarang top bananas.

I'd like to shanghai a couple more Hwarang candidates, from MOONLIGHT DRAWN BY CLOUDS: Jin Young and Kwak Dong-yun. And Hong Jong-hyun from THE KING LOVES. And Yoon Si-yoon from MIRROR OF THE WITCH to channel Enrique Keum's flower boy ancestor. ;-)

It might be time for Yoon Kyun-sang to play a sageuk vampire, which should be a piece of cake after his Mighty Child in Mountain Spirit Tiger Berserker Mode in REBEL. ;-)

Ryu Deok-hwan should be out of the service real soon -- so make him the King of Goguryeo and Park Se-young the Queen for a FAITH reunion. Don't forget Court Lady Choi, Kim Mi-kyung! Song Il-kook is long overdue for a sageuk, even if only a cameo. That might be all General Shin Gong Yoo could fit into his schedule, too. Cast them as stalwart warriors to defend Goguryeo.

Yoo Oh-sung (DEVIL RIDER) is needed for tearing around Baekje on horseback with LJG.

Now I'll at least get to see some of my faves.

Must.Stop.Now. ;-)

@kiara,

More casting news to add to the earlier posts below. ;-)

I slipped my clutch and realized I'd left out Oh Man-seok and Shin Sung-rok. And Cha Seung-won. What was I thinking?! No swashbuckler is complete without them. ;-)

Paging Byun Yo-han! Paging Park Hyuk-kwon! Have a SIX FLYING DRAGONS rematch, with one of them as a vampire.

It's a sageuk, and it's supposed to have a cast of millions. They might as well be my favorite millions. ;-)

Lee Seo-jin deserves a spot (with another nod to DAMO). I think that's the only sageuk I've seen him in so far.

Must cast Park Chul-min for the Romanian leg of the story. He'd make a great B&B host/innkeeper and chief steward.

For the mandoo, noodle, and basil sorbet shop, will need to draft Kim Young-kwang as Nan-gil from SWEET STRANGER AND ME along with his whole team of ManDoods from the dumpling shop -- plus his reconciled ex-con orphanage buddy Wan-shik (Woo Do-hwan) -- hehehe. Mandoo and revenge. What could possibly go wrong?

I know they were slingers of ramyun, not black bean noodles, but I think a menu expansion is in order, so will draft Kim Ki-woo and Jung Il-woo from FLOWER BOY RAMEN SHOP for an apocalyptic reprise of RETURN OF ILJIMAE with vampires and ramyun. With Namja Ramyun spokes-sexy-bastard Ryoo Seung-ryong dishing out the grub in the barracks in Baekje. ;-)

Would like to follow up Lee Sang-woo's saguek casting in 20TH CENTURY BOY AND GIRL with another one. Epic bromance with Song Chang-eui (nod to LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL) fighting vampires in Baekje and invaders from Goguryeo.

The doppelgaengers of Joo Won, Kang Haneul, Lee Min-Hot and Siwan can appear in lieu of them going AWOL. You never know when you'll need a couple more stalwart defenders.

Omo! Kim Jae-wook as the chief vampire. He could really be a ladykiller in that kind of role. Need to make up for TEMPERATURE OF LOVE, which totally wasted his demonic charm.

Cast Shin Dong-wook in his first sageuk, perhaps as a royal physician, since he already played an unlicensed doctor in CLOUD STAIRS.

Must give Siwon a great heroically tragic role to serve as his real comeback. *fingers in ears* That other show did not happen - La la la! -- La la la! I didn't really watch the first 5 episodes. It was all a mass delusion. Or a collective nightmare. La la la!

For actresses, vampire-stompin' and otherwise, Son Ye-jin (PIRATES), Kong Hyo-jin (JEALOUSY INCARNATE), Kim Yeo-jin (Gwanghae's advisor Kim Gae-shi in HWAJUNG), Jin Kyung (Nurse Oh in ROMANTIC DOCTOR, TEACHER KIM), Kim Hye-soo (THE FACE READER), Kim Jung-young (Chae-kyung's mother in SEVEN DAY QUEEN); Im Se-mi (young queen in KING'S DAUGHTER, SU BAEK HYANG).

I know that it's soooo late,but I couldn't help commenting after being tickled to bits with your cute spinoff,which totally brought back memories of @calicali 's epic spinoff series at the SWWATN comment threads. Wait...you HAVEN'T read those?!?! You should! The drama got so unbearable towards the end,and apart from the fact that the recaps were done by JB and GF, the reason I came back again and again was to see cali's next instalment. You'd feel like you could've been friends with her and make spinoffs forever,hehe!(don't forget to share them with us here at DB😜)

#on the casting comments you made below..
If you cast Yeon Woo-jin, then the heroine should be PMy! And he should be the Shilla king,and that way you'll get lot of meta and YWj-LJk face-off once again too! Two,or three,or more birds with one stone!
Another reason for this...did the magistrates exist before Joseon times? Even if they did, I won't be able to imagine a uniform other than that weird-but-oh-so-good one.(kudos to LJk for making a tomato omelette colour combo look so pretty that the impression lasted even after Arang to this day;REBEL, now I think magistrate Eom too is handsome in it,heh)
Ohoho! Queen SMS is gonna leave the show early cause she died of a panic-jealous attack after discovering she'd have to rule side by side with Oh sangung!
✴✴✴ Yoon Kyun-sang as a vampire??? 0.0 (At a loss of words) I know most people will disagree with me and call me naive,but hell..to me, an ultra strong giant-baby vampire is thousand times scarier than a sizzling,guy-linered oppa vampire!!! I won't be able to watch that drama! (Shuts eyes to escape from imagination.)

And to end my random rambling, heavenly bros Jade emperor and Yeomra (plus the batch of fairies) would have more than happy to starr in your drama. Mostly because they wouldn't anymore look out-of-fashion in a 3kingdoms drama,hehe. Orrr..It could be that they wanted to look different than the contemporary people and make a lasting impression on the dead once they entered the otherworld. So this time they'd be donning Joseon fashion and tell the souls to follow the trend in their next life..next dynasty. Birth of the modern Hanboks!!!😜 They are unpredictable that way. And the reapers will go all "No my lords, we foresee that in the future you two and the fairies would revert to Goryeo fashion and we'll be boring black Joseon wear,for whatever reason. So for the present time we're going to seek advice from LJk and be all cool Wang So style banished-and-before-the-palace-times clothing!"

Now, Ms.PP is probably thinking that peony is the weirdest thing ever ;-)

There is not a lot of horror sageuks out there so I'm loving your idea.

I've only seen half of a horror sageuk film called "The Legend of Evil Lake" (2003) and 2 dramas
"Hometown of Legends" (2008) with Park Min-young and "Grudge: The Revolt of Gumiho"(2010) with Kim Yoo-jung.
I like horror sageuks and I wish there were more.

Forgot about "Arang" which I really enjoyed.

Does Arang count?

It has some pretty horrible evil, but it's low-key. There's not a whole lot of gore, either, IIRC.

I've seen all but one of the HOMETOWN LEGENDS (2008). There's another series from 2009. I had a hard time finding them because they are listed in AsianWiki as KOREAN GHOST STORIES. Luckily DramaWiki used the other title.

I've seen a couple of sageuk horror/ghost stories as drama specials, I think. Most likely KBS shows.

Have you seen the 2005 film BLOOD RAIN with Cha Seung-won in the lead? It won an award for best screenplay. I haven't seen it myself, but I'm aware of it. I'm not into horrible gore and am a squeamish wimp. I'll take a gander at my log and see if I've watched some you haven't seen yet. ;-)

I haven't seen "Blood Rain" and I'll look for the drama specials.

Thank you for letting me know.

Browsing Open Thread comments is totally an adventure of sorts. O___O

My musings had to go somewhere...

:D Kidding aside, it's a good prompt! Someone should submit it to OCN...

Romantic poets get the credit, not me!

Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever seen an OCN sageuk?

@frabbycrabsis no one told them you can make one with a lot of gore. Until now. >:D

@frabbycrabsis January 5, 2018 at 2:09 PM

OCN did do a sageuk, and from what I gather, it was bloody indeed. I think the title means "demon."

YAKSHA (2010, OCN) 12 eps.

It's unhealthy to keep such musings bottled up inside. You might give yourself nightmares. ;-)

I read this as “mustangs” and immediately scrolled back up to see what I missed! I was imaging real “manes” of glory for a second there!

Hello, Beanies, Happy new Year to you all. This is my first new year away from home. Wishing all beanies a successful new year filled with joys and good dramas hopefully.

Happy New Year to you too! Thanks for the new year wishes!

You welcome and thank you....

Happy Friday everyone!

It has been a busy week, but my free time has been completely absorbed by Autumn's Concerto. I found it randomly on Netflix and I LOVED IT. I saw a review comparing it to a Judith McNaught novel, and I completely agree, it's basically a 1990s romance novel come to life. I'm having trouble moving on! I'm in deep - I even bought the soundtrack. But because I'm 8 years behind on it, I have no one to gush about it with! My husband is probably tired of my fangirling.

I'm also watching Just Between Lovers and I'm Not a Robot and am enjoying both of them (especially Just Between Lovers!), but they are both in the angsty period where the couples are separated. I need more epic romance to help me move on from Autumn's Concerto!

Hope everyone has a great weekend and stays warm!

Ah Autumn's Concerto is one of my favorite drama and I watched it for the first time last year. OTP has the best chemistry I have ever seen in the first episode and second leads are not douchebags. There were so much emotional moments and characters felt real. It was hard to move on.

Yay another AC lover! The main couple really did have the best chemistry, and I loved that the second leads were good people, and neither were just plot devices to push the main couple together.

This one is going on my short list of rewatchable dramas.

Oh man. I remember when it first came out, my sister and I were crazy about it. Waiting each week for 1 episode was a torture. Til this day, the soundtrack is still one of my favorite and it was my first time hearing Della Ding Dang. She became one of my favorite Chinese singer now. Really love her ost songs (especially "Heart of Palms" ost for Lan Lin Wang)

I also recommend "The Fierce Wife" (another Taiwanese drama). It's on Netflix as well. It's about a housewife who seemingly had a perfect family until her husband cheated on her. Another one of my favorite Taiwanese drama and I also love the OST (still listening to it today even though it's been 8 years now). I haven't watch this yet but "A Good Wife" is also another rave Taiwanese drama about a lonely woman married to a workaholic husband who began an affair with a man who is the exact opposite of her husband.

I love the OST too! Even the instrumentals are great. Oh thanks for the recommendation! I have been looking for another epic romance to fill the void between the airing dramas.

Hello Beanies! How's the first week of 2018 treating you??

It's been up and down for me but drama speaking.... enjoying Just Between Lovers (although I have to do a rewatch with subs this time) I just can't wait xD I'm just happy that I found where beanies discussing this gem so I'll be lurking there ;)

Smart Prison Playbook continues to be good! I was about to watch ep12 but my brain is not ready for an hour and a half without subs so will probably watch it with breaks tomorrow since it's midnight here.

I've got a few completed dramas that I've paused so I'm watching it one episode a day...

Hope the year will be full of smiles and hugs to each beanie!

I just feel like I wasn't ready for 2018... but time won't wait for us so let's all make the best out of 2018!

True true true! Let's give it our best shot and make 2018 better than 2017 ;)