[Theme of the Month] One True Pairings
February is, for better or for worse, something of a shorthand for “romance month,” what with all the Valentine’s marketing and pink-themed merchandise everywhere. So what better topic to discuss than one of our favorite and most enduring aspects of K-dramas: One True Pairings—or, as it’s sometimes better known, OTPs?
(Put another way, OTPs are the primary couple of a drama, so we’re not talking about alternate pairings or missed connections. They don’t always have to have happy endings, but they are the main romantic pairing of a show.)
Tell us about your favorite, least favorite, most effective, most tragic, most fandom-splitting (etc) OTPs.
Rather than just asking for you to tell us about your favorite OTPs (because I’m sure we all have a couple hundred), we’re opening up the topic to encompass all sorts of aspects of the OTP relationship. You could, of course, talk about your favorite romances. But you could also talk about OTPs that didn’t work, OTPs you wanted more from, OTPs that caused the most heartache, OTPs that were miscast, OTPs that were nearly there except for that one thing…
You get the point. Love is in the air, and we want to hear how you feel about it!
- Email your submissions to [email protected] If you have a registered Dramabeans account, include your handle so we can link to it.
- Include at least 1 image, though more is preferred.
- Suggested length: Between 500 and 1,000 words.
- Deadline: We will post these on a rolling basis, so we’re taking submissions now. We will cut off accepting submissions on February 24. If you miss this month, join us for a new theme next month!
- [Theme of the Month] In defense of…
- [Theme of the Month] Tell us about your year in dramas
- [Theme of the Month] Write an alternate ending to a drama whose ending sucked
- [Theme of the Month] Escapism vs. Realism
- [Theme of the Month] Our relationship to music and dramas
- [Theme of the Month] Challenge! Revisit an old drama
- [Theme of the Month] How have your K-drama tastes changed over time?
- What’s your dramaland catnip? Tell us your stories!
Tags: Theme of the Month