Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

girlfriday

My Ajusshi: Well now I know why they cast The Voice—the heroine listens in on his life night and day! Episode 4 finally delivered that moment where I felt like it paid off to sit through the first three episodes of slow burn. I was just waiting for that tiny jolt of a true connection, promising that this wouldn’t be a show about two characters who hated each other for sixteen episodes. But now the heroine’s armor has begun to crack, and the ajusshi has begun to wake up after sleepwalking through his entire life, and that’s exciting.

The Great Seducer: Did we arrive at this conflict point too early? It seems too fast for some reason, or maybe teen relationships move at the speed of light and I’m out of touch. But I kind of feel like the breakup happened before the relationship started. Let’s give things a chance to build before crushing them with repressed emotion, shall we?

Mystery Queen 2: The procedural cases are really lackluster this season. They’re not holding my interest as much, and the jokes are veering more hokey than witty, which is a distinct step down from the first season. It’s mostly a directorial issue, but the writer also seems to have decided to make the cop a little dumber, rather than making the cases smarter. I love this crime-fighting duo, but can we please get them more interesting crimes to fight?

chickachunga

My Ajusshi: I haven’t seen all the episodes yet, but here’s how I feel about it so far : [chickachunga kissing her fingers gesture] Gorgeous direction by Kim Won-seok per usual. Keeping my fingers crossed for the story to not meet the same fate as Oh Hae-young Again and fall apart in the second half.

mary

My Husband Oh Jak-doo I know some people find the mountain grannies too screechy, but I love them for being such cute matchmakers this week. And I enjoyed that scene in the coffee shop where Jak-doo proudly orders cappuccino for them. But I love it best when someone schools the horrible mom, and it was so satisfying to watch the youngest granny pull her hair a couple of times. I’m not buying that mom’s reason for treating her daughter like a worthless walking wallet. She just seems like a horrible mom, period. If Seung-joo didn’t do That Big Mistake in the past, Mom would be treating her like a precious walking wallet, but a wallet all the same.

Tale of a Good Witch I’m sad to say goodbye to Woo-jin’s “Abstinence Blue” outfits, but he’s hilariously sweet when he’s trying to understand and help out the girl he likes, even if he found her sharpening a cleaver “for triceps exercise” at midnight. Maybe growing up with Oh Tae-ri made him calm in terrifying situations, because she’s the cruelest chaebol heiress I’ve seen in dramaland. Seriously, she terrifies me. *watches clips of Yoon Se-ah in Just Between Lovers to sleep better at night*

abirdword

The Great Seducer: I was worried about the pacing as the show’s first few episodes just flew through the source material, and now that they need to buy time, it feels like the writers are using a random trope generator to build scenes until they’re ready to go for the conclusion. But then there’s moments like the the tense dinner scene at Shi-hyun’s family vacation home, and I’m all in again.

Tags: , , , , ,

Great seducer: finally she did something about shi hyun's wishy-washy attitude I hope he grovels hard

Laughter in Waikiki: finally caught the last four episodes! Laughed like there was no tomorrow this show still knows how to bring the hilarious and the fun

You who forgot poetry: I love slice of life shows and I definitely love this one already the comedy and heart is definitely there. I better see more lee joon hyuk next week

Switch: surprisingly good though having watched so many con artists I knew that it was a fake out both times

Haven't watch My Ahjussi just yet maybe later when I want to be in a somber mood, for now it's the romcoms, family dramas and of course, Jang Keun Suk's switch.
Switch ***
Eulacha Waikiki/ My Husband Oh Jak Do/ Evergreen/ Good Witch.
Great Seducer
Rich Man's Son/ Marry me Now
btw, not much recaps happening on DB nowadays. Why is that?
Javabeans is MIA.
Their podcast is long overdue.

Seems like there are a lot of bugs they are trying to address. Mary left a post in one of the Open Threads, maybe 3 weeks ago? She spoke in very general and vague terms, but I guess it involves bugs in the system because the site was growing so quickly.

Great Seducer: I mean I am staying for the main lead...story is slipping.. im not invested enough in the relationship to feel so effected as to what happens next

Does anyone have any good rom comedies they can suggest me that is funny and sweet :)? I need something basic not too thinky or actiony..

Jealousy incarnate is the number one Korean romcom for me :D

I loved JC!!! Watched it twice! JJS is funny, obnoxious and dreamy all at once!

Lingerie Girls' Generation - short and sweet
Go Back Spouses - heartwarming and funny
Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo - simple, funny, and sweet

There are some Japanese ones that have gone under the radar, like Overprotected Kahoko or I'm Your Destiny, and if you enjoyed because This Life is My First then I recommend Nigeru wa Haji wholeheartedly.
The best romcom of last year for me was Strongest Deliveryman, if you didn't watch that. Also Biscuit Teacher Star Candy, Shopping King Louie, Miss Korea and Dear Sister.

Funny and sweet, basic and not too thinky or actiony. That's pretty much the definition of Shopping King Louie.

I have been thinking about it for a while. Maybe I should give it a try!

Give it a try, I sure you won't regret it.

If u need current showing, my husband oh jak doo and that man oh soo are rom com. Doesn't think much.

Watch because this is my first life, Another Oh Hae Young,

I'd echo @frabbycrabsis and @imzadi's comments about Shopping King Louis. This show will have you in stitches!

Strongest Deliveryman, like frabbycrabsis said, is another solid story. It's not a rom-com in the strictest sense of the word. It's more an underdog story.

I'm Not a Robot, Moonlight Drawn By Clouds, My Girl, Bad Family, and Sungkyunkwan Scandal if you haven't watched those yet...

If you're interested in C-dramas, I recommend the classic My Fair Princess/Pearl Princess/Huan Zhu Ge Ge.. Funny, sweet, heartwarming, and just hits all the right notes..

And if it's not too old, My Girl!

Thank you everyone!!! Ill be giving these a try - although many I have already watched.

Ill start with jealousy incarnate 🤣👊🏾

Master's Sun, it's got ghosts, but it's fun

Oh My Venus, this one is about as light and substance free as you get

Dalja's Spring, it looks dated, but don't let that fool you because the story stands up and Lee Min Ki is fine.

She Was Pretty (The Trio chemistry, super laughtrip with Choi Siwon)
Shopping King Louie (I can never imagine anyone for Louie's role Seo In Guk is the best)
Kill me Heal me (Dark drama but there's some funny scenes when other characters come out)
SMILE YOU (Family drama, romcom although it's a long drama but you'll definitely enjoy every episode)
Smart Prison Living (From the reply series maker, drama set in the prison but there's a lesson you can learn black comedy funny and entertaining all about bromance)
Falling for Innocence (Funny because of Jung kyung Ho's action and his interaction with his real life bestfriend Yoon Hyun Min
Switch Change the world (Just starting airing and I can say JNAG GEUN SUK really pick a good drama this time. He is a great actor but some of his previous drama is a miss for me but this time doing 2 characters with comedy really fits him he made me think that he is a genius person in real life :D Recommended drama simple legal drama but it's the acting that make the drama worth watching.)

There's some taiwanese drama that I want to recommend it all romcom just like kdrama it's just the only difference is their language. It Started with a kiss and they Kiss again (Which is my all time favorite ARJOE chemistry is the best), Fated to love you, Drunken to love you, Hi My Sweetheart.

And there's more..
The Greatest Love (One of the best drama it's almost perfect for me. Cha Seung Won and Gong Hyo Jin chemistry is good maybe because the story revolve around showbiz industry)

Dalja's Spring (Old Lee MIn KI Drama but this drama made me like him. Nice drama to watch)

I'm not a robot (Definitely love this because of Yoo Seung ho's cuteness and his chemistry with Chae Soo bin)

Strongest Delivery Man (Funny Drama. I don't know but Chae Soo Bin chemistry with Go Kyung Pyo is also strong in this one )

Jealousy Incarnate (the first 4 episodes is not that strong but it became better and better)

Oh My Ghostess (With a bit of Virgin Ghost possessing the female actress on the side but it was a great fantasy romcom for me)

Let's fight Ghost (Watched it when it finished airing cause I'm not into Taecyeon as an actor but he impressed me in this drama it was funny and really entertaining)

God Of Study/Master of Study (a bit old drama Yoo Seung Ho is still in his teens but i like it)

*** Female LEAD I mean not female actress....

Oh My Ghostess was hilarious!

My Husband OH JAK DO and EVERGREEN

Matchmaker's Lover,The Woman who Still Wants to Marry,Marriage,not Dating and Vineyard Man.
These are not new orup to date like other suggestions but are definitely better.

Oh Man-seok is dandy in MAN OF THE VINEYARD. His grape festival rendition of "Dschinghis Khan" (the 1979 German entry in the Eurovision Song Contest) is hilarious.

The rural setting is a welcome switch from the urban locations of the vast majority of Kdramas. It reminded me of SWEET STRANGER AND ME, which was also set in the boondocks and had a protagonist who was into farming when he wasn't making mandoo.

Woohoo Waikiki: Is there anything more precious and adorable than Joon-ki and Doo-shik’s friendship? Doo-shik was SO adorable this week, I couldn’t get over it. I’m surprised at how much I like him and Soo-ah together. They’re great! Soo-ah’s Wonder Woman moment still has me giggling when I think about it. The sound department chooses the best background music.

My Ajusshi: Love love love, and I completely agree with everything girlfriday said. I really liked the first three episodes, but the fourth sealed the deal for me. I’m in it for the long haul and I’m praying that it lives up to its potential. I’m still holding out hope that the relationship will stay platonic, because it would be a breath of fresh air in Dramaland, but I won’t be heartbroken if things veer on the romantic side. Listening to LSK’s voice through Ji-an’s headphones is a true blessing. I loved the ending of episode 4 so much.

That’s all I’ve been watching. I’m still waiting for legal subs for Pretty Noona to pop up. Did Netflix snatch it? If not, I can’t believe none of the sites picked it up! Is it just me who has been excited about it for months now?

I think Netflix took Pretty Noona 😩😩😩

Ah, well. As I said before, I’m prepared to go to jail for this drama.

Pali pali! Put on your black hoodie and face mask to complete your incognito ensemble!

😂😂😂
Yes, they are drug lords fighting over territory, and I am but a humble addict who had “good stuff” dangled in front of my nose, then taken away 😤😤
Does the black hoodie and baseball cap combo work online? ... not that I need to know... asking for a friend...

@hotcocoagirl Watching dramas underneath a blanket works, right....asking for my neighbor's friend's cousin's groomer.....

The only places I’m seeing this drama subbed are into Chinese. Are you all finding English subs somewhere? Or is it just a waiting game? This drama is taking up too many of my brain cells and I haven’t even seen it yet! Lol.

I haven’t been looking on the “unofficial” websites yet so I’m not sure.

😂😂😂 Instead of for consoling drama addicts in recovery, Dramabeans is now for bunch of addicts like me who are jonzing due to the shortage of supplies while watching incredulously how all the new drug lords are fighting over the territories.

I can't find it anywhere. Please someone hook us up.

Though I prefer to consume through legal means, my morals aren't steadfast and I will resort to semi-criminal behavior.

@kimbap LOL

@egads, I don’t mind sharing my source (as @kimbapnoona says that we’re all addicts trying to get our fix) but will have to meet you in a back alley somewhere, so [email protected] is where I’ll be if anyone needs a gram or two. Lol. I really do feel like a drug dealer now.

@ally-le I cannot find it more fitting for us drama addicts searching for a source to connect with one another by using the encrypted messaging app "Signal"

@ally-le
((in a complete Healer ensemble))

"I'm ready for my goods!" ((blood shot eyes)) :D :D :D

If Netflix has picked up pretty noona, any clue what they've changed the name to?

The english title is supposedly Something in the Rain.

If they wouldn't hoard all the episodes until the bitter end in the US market I wouldn't mind, but Netflix keeps forcing me to go to the dark side.

Don't spoil all the food pretty noona is buying, Netflix!!!! *fist in the air*

It won't be just the US they'd be hoarding it if Netflix does have the rights.

From my observation, a TVN drama with Netflix rights gets aired a week later (Prison Playbook, and now Live - and they will have poster on their site that will say updated weekly).

The JTBC ones are added when the whole thing has finished airing :(

Perhaps Beanies should storm Netflix headquarters and demand they release the dramas.

*and have better subtitles
**and quit Westernizing names, or replacing oppa, hyung etc. with names
***and quit asking me if I'm still watching...I'm always still watching and quit judging me Netflix

It is not only you. I am so excited I even dreamt about it last night, from Friday to Saturday, and woke up twice during the night (me who sleeps like a rock), and woke up again at 6am today thinking, maybe the subs are there???🙄🙄
But now honestly I am scared of turning on the computer!!!😑

Drama Milk is doing live recaps, if it helps...

I understand Woohoo Waikiki got extended to 20 episodes so there's more of the show to love.

I dropped [b] That Man Oh Soo [/b]. I was looking forward to some heartwarming magical realism but it just fell flat for me. There's nothing magical about it, it's like 15 other shows out there.

I'm sure Kim Soeun have not much choices so she end up taking this kind of role - just like many other actors too, and she isn't the only one. If they start to be too picky, then they might end up with no offer. More than the character, it's the drama that didn't serve any justice for her. Poor lady will be interesting to watch in slice of life drama for example, like Age of Youth. I thought that we will get a kickass and a little boyish character since she is a police officer here but it ended up just as her job. Her character in drama special You're Closer Than I Think could be quite interesting but it was under-developed and she was overshadowed by too many other characters, it's a waste since her character had her own depth more than any other character.

My expectation for That Man Oh Soo wasn't high so I don't feel all that disappointed even when the drama hasn't fully develop some potentially interesting areas that would be so much fun for the writer to explore (magical tree with emotion manipulation pollen, woman cop, family obligation with inherited super power, etc.).

I am still enjoying watching the show since no one is annoying (unlike My Husband Jak Do which can be a test of patience for me) and there is still plenty of cute from our leads. It is like Kdrama comfort food that doesn't require my jaw to work to hard to chew and my stomach to digest. After a hard day of work, I am like Kim So-eun who is seeking rice porridge and am delighted that it is brought to me by someone who looks like Jong-Hyun.

Based on the preview next epi, they are finally will be having some moments in Ohsoo's cafe - which I am looking forward to. The atmosphere seems to be a romantic one too. I'm weak when it comes to beautiful and romantic cafe, though LOL. Hopefully they will spend each night together at Ohsoo's cafe and lock the gate so no one will disturb them. Let Yuri does her own discovery in his cafe.

Yay for alone cafe time! It would be so much fun if Yu-ri discovers Oh-soo's power and decides (maybe reluctantly at first) to help him to help others (which is in her bones.) I think the whole concept of "drugging people" will feel a little more palatable if there is a co-ed team behind the mission.

At this point I will be glad if she will be a little nosy and keep bothering Ohsoo so he will start to share more of his secrets with her - so at the same time we will also finally learn about these mysteries. These two are a little too passive in making the progress of their relationship while Jinwoo shined because he was more active so far.

@seralovestteobokki You are right! What am I doing for still dreaming about what the show could do with what is given! Even though most Beanies were turned off by Jinwoo's slightly stalker vibe, I was actually intrigued by that flash of malice shown a couple episodes ago just mostly because that is much more interesting than another marshmallow perfect 2nd lead (here I go again wondering about possibility.)

Maybe at this point I should just hope for that our leads don't turn stupid.

Yeah, that's the least thing this drama could do for us - by not turning the leads into the stupid ones. They are slow in their relationship, but they aren't too stupid in other things so far. What made me not really hating this drama despite of the flaws is the main characters - they are likeable and not annoying ones, they can be slow and clueless but they aren't childish.

I actually find my mister more exciting to watch than misty? More physical progress?

I'm watching Great Seducer with an amused air all the time. It's supposed to be serious and all steamy toned but I'm just LOL'ing while watching. But I am glad that Tae-Hee is playing a little harder to get because gurll you fell for the guy, you were never gonna fall for supposedly, fast. I'm finding Shi-Hyun's mom's accident to be the most interesting aspect so far.

I'm still enjoying My Husband Oh Jak Doo quite a bit. It's funny and cliche but I like it (plus I don't have to think much while watching it).

But the gem of my shows these past weeks has been My Ahjussi. Gosh, what can I even say about it, except that it's killing me and hurting me in all the right places? The cinematography is so grim and bleak and it just enhances the show even more.

Off to watch Pretty Noona Who Buys me Food now!! I hope it makes me giddy like its' trailer did.

Great Seducer: I'm looking forward to see how Sejoo gonna do about them now that he knows about the bet and they aren't going to stop. He's really an interesting character.

Idk what to feel about the break-up scene but I really love that it portrays that Taehee realize she's just like her dad, waiting pitifully for her love though it hurts. And after realizing that, she didn't let it pass by and she end things right away so she won't have to be like her dad anymore. I completely understand that and I feel her. I would have done the same. He cares more about another person so why would I stay with him? 😂😂😂

Totally agree with you. Now that just gives us a bit of the rational thinker we were promised about the character. Hope they make her shine more in that area.
When you know the end of things, it's better to nip it in the bud than log it out. Plus I am interested to see Shin hyun's character will do now. He hasn't dealt with someone like tae hee before.

Woohoo Waikiki: My perfect de-stressing show and happy pill for the week.

My Ajusshi: I couldn't remember the last time kdramaland gave me this kind of pairing. It's only 4 eps in, we barely scratch the surface of their stories, and yet the depth of connection between our leads is astonishing. Ji-an continued to be an interesting, ruthless anti-heroine with deep scars. While Dong-hoon proved to be sharper than what he has shown so far. I'm impatiently waiting the next phase of their relationship.

My Husband Oh Jak-doo: Those two are just so sweet and thoughtful of each other. I'm more than willing to provide 100 more reasons for them to stay as a married couple because they look so reluctant to part ways.
We finally got to hear Mom's story, and no. That didn't excuse how she treated her daughter like crap for accident little Seung-joo didn't have any control whatsoever. I hope Seung-joo get to find warm family ties in Jak-doo and the 3 halmeoni, instead.

Great Seducer: I'm only skip-watching it nowadays. And unexpectedly, Tae-hee become my new fave character. If only because she is such an alpha around the boys and the type that simply gets the work done. I respect her for breaking up with him, and I like the idea of her making him sweat because he knows very well he has done her wrong.

One Viki commenter is so on point regarding My Husband Oh Jak-doo:" Obviously the wrong parent drowned"

I kinda feel bad for laughing. But true that.

I feel bad for laughing too but it's true XD

Because I'm not necessarily the nicest person, I don't feel bad for laughing.

I am the worst. I fist-pumped that comment hard.

Wish I can give up 100 thumbs up

I so agree with that and I’m only two episodes in 😅😅😅

The Great Seducer: I'm gonna totally forget the source material because I think that is messing up my viewing experience. It's a bit of a mess but still, I'm watching it every week.

A Poem A Day (or whatever): It's ok but like that we are in physical therapy world which does have a different vibe from very important surgeries every single episode.

Should We Kiss: I originally stayed away because I thought it was a deep melo and I'm so not in the mood. I heard otherwise and am glad I jumped in (I'm at episode 10ish) though I kinda wish the lead female character wasn't in quite such a woebegone place. I mean does she really need gangsters after her; isn't her life crap already?

My Golden Life: I am having trouble finishing the last 10 episodes and am considering just skipping to the last one. I really enjoyed the first half but boy this one just fell flat though I do understand why it resonated in Korea due to dealing with the issues the twentysomething generation deals with.

Evergreen: Dropped at episode 7. Might jump in if I hear good things.

My Ajusshi: I liked the first episodes and have put this on the back burner so I can build up some episodes to binge. I don't like doing this type of drama week to week.

Waikiki: I've fallen behind but definitely will finish.

Old Boy & Only Side by Side With You: Anyone up for a contemporary C-drama should pick Old Boy. I love Ariel Lin and though there are filler and contrivances, there are three times as many in Side by Side. Not even Wm Chan's adorable smile can hide the flaws though I haven't officially dropped.

The Flame's Daughter: Doesn't have the romantic addictiveness, but I respect that I actually am interested in every story and every character. Usually in the 40 plus episode C-dramas (contemporary and historical), I'm skipping someone's boring filler story. Not so here thus far. I do wish there was a little more romance but such is life.

I'm missing Korean historicals. Is anyone watching Grand Prince? What's the scoop on the story? The lead actress doesn't bother me as much as others so no worries there.

Ha! Your comments help 'cos I was wondering about Only Side by Side. Since @CatoCat Drama Kun also recommended Old Boy in the OT, I'll give it a look!

Old Boy has such a modern vibe and looks to have had some money put in the production. I really like the father/son scenario.

I’m watching The Grand Prince ~ I really like it! The first episode hooked me because it starts with Yoon Shi Yoon returning after three years, and it’s obvious something big happened in the past to create all these twisted relationships. It then jumps into the past to tell the story. 😊 I’d recommend it!!

Actually I found the initial episodes very good, but I lost interest when she follows him cross-dressed as a soldier & now I've fallen behind. Is it still interesting???

... I'm actually being too, I'm up to her following him cross dressed as well. I fully intend to catch up, but I also am doubting whether it will hold my interest much longer... But I really liked the first episodes, so I would recommend them haha

*behind too

I can vouch that it's getting interesting again, since we're hurtling back closer to the present. Next week, we'll be there!

Thanks! My goal for Monday then is to catch up haha

I'm watching GRAND PRINCE, and have been happy with it so far. My only reservation is that the heroine did something truly bone-headed, and I'm concerned that the formerly plucky female lead will lose her moxie along with most of her marbles. On the other hand, I'm really more interested in seeing how the politics pans out, and whether Dong-gu Daegun succeeds in saving the throne from his second brother, who is itching to steal it. Very nice ensemble cast. Beautiful soundtrack, too.

She does make some questionable decisions. Whoever likes a drink needs to play a drinking game where they take a shot every time she would have been killed if this were more historically accurate!

If I drank, I would play this game and get very drunk :P

Honestly the heroine is what is making me less interested, the more time on her and the less on the princes the less I'm invested. :/

But hey, we can always laugh at her stupidity! I'm pretty sure Hwi just wants to marry her because he knows he'll be well-entertained for the rest of his life! XD

Hi @pakalanapikake and Happy Easter. I originally planned to watch GRAND PRINCE when it first aired at the beginning of March but because of travels (Mar. 5-13 in Spain) I was not able to. When I returned I had 4 dramas to catch up on. After the final 2 episodes of CROSS the 4 will be completed. A POEM A DAY is the only on air drama I am currently watching. I plan to start SWITCH tonight. I like to have something in the police/crime/mystery genres going.
I am in the mood for saeguk so I think I will try to catch up on GRAND PRINCE. It will be a bit of a challenge since 10 episodes will have aired by this weekend. I am not familiar with Yoon Shi-yoon's work but I am with Joo-Sang-wook. I loved him in the TENS (1&2). Great series. I am still waiting for TEN 3.
Re: "moxie". Great word. As a native New Englander I happen to know what the soft drink Moxie (intr. 1876) tastes like. Let's just say it is an acquired taste. Have you ever tried it?

Happy Easter to you, too, @marcusnyc20! :-)

Hail, fellow! Well met! I acquired a taste for Moxie when I was a tadpole. Gotta love those gentian bitters. I'm a native New Englander with roots in the Hub. ;-)

I hope you had a good time in Spain. Was it business or pleasure?

As for GRAND PRINCE, the first 8 episodes moved along in a snappy manner. I missed about the first 5 minutes of the live stream on Saturday morning, and was left scratching my head because so much of it seemed to be a rerun of the opening episode. I noticed the presence of relatively few new and slightly different scenes. I hope that there were voice overs that explained what went on in Manchuria for 3 years because it seems to have been glossed over, which was kind of disappointing. From here on out we should be getting new developments.

Yoon Si-yoon's first sageuk was MIRROR OF THE WITCH [now dubbed SECRET HEALER on Netflix -- which completely misses the original title's play on Heo Joon's magnum opus]. He played the physician, and I thought he did a fine job. But I really went ga-ga for him in THE BEST HIT, even though the plot went a bit haywire. -- On the other hand, the music was terrific, and so was he as a time-traveling idol from 1993 who was dubbed "Dabong," which sounds like Konglish for "the bomb," by his younger house mates. I watched a bunch of his earlier works last summer, including BREAD, LOVE AND DREAMS, about half of HIGH KICK! 2, and FLOWER BOY NEXT DOOR. He's got a charming presence, which is why he was cast in the title role of GRAND PRINCE: DRAWING LOVE.

This is the first time I'm seeing Joo Sang-wook, and I was floored to read that he does comedy. Whoa! Not in this show. He's excellent as the delusionally-entitled Seja-wannabe. I should point out that there are actually three grand princes, the third being the uncle of the others, and boy, does he have an axe to grind. -- I hope that whets your appetite. ;-)

One more thing: Have you considered tuning in to LIVE? It's not your usual police procedural, that's for sure. It's more of a gritty, realistic character study of people who work as police officers. I find it compelling from a human interest standpoint. It's got great music. Shin Dong-wook is doing a great job in his second comeback project. It's not being recapped, but beanies have convened here to chew the fat:
http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/11/noh-hee-kyungs-live-recruits-shin-dong-wook-as-loyal-policeman/ .

Addendum after watching subs for ep. 9, and 10 raw:

My heart sank when it appeared that most of episode 9 was a retread of ep. 1, with little footage of Hwi's time in Manchuria. We see a bit more of Manchuria in flashback in 10. It looks as if we'll be seeing flashbacks of Kang and Ja-hyun during Hwi's 3-year absence.

After thwarting Kang's attempt to co-opt little Seja, Hwi springs a gratifying bombshell at the end of ep. 9. On the other hand, I'm fastening my seat belt for the wedding crashers in ep. 10.

Na-gyeom has truly turned into a bitch on wheels.

Thanks so much for the briefing above. I started GRAND PRINCE yesterday and watched episode 2 tonight. I am enjoying it so far. I looked for a synopsis or recap of the beginning of the series to make sure I was following the story correctly. I found the recapping site DRAMA MILK which I am sure you are aware of:
https://www.bah-doo.com/ I was a little confused about the time line but now I am on track.
Since I am at it. One of the DB features I miss is the RATINGS REPORT. For daily TV drama ratings I discovered INKINEWS:
You probably know about that one also.
Finally, your recommendation for LIVE.
That definitely was on my radar. It has gotten very good reviews. LIVE got waylaid when I left town. I would love to work it in.
Keep up the good work you do here!

You're most welcome, @marcusnyc20. ;-)

Just spreading the word about a couple of shows I've been enjoying. Here's hoping they continue to maintain their quality. I've live-watched so many shows that went south in the past year that it will really break my heart if these two in particular go sideways.

I already knew about Drama Milk, and read the recaps for four shows there. Inkinews is new to me. Thanks for the pointer to it. I always used to read the DB Ratings Report.

Ciao!

Grand Prince is half fantastic melodrama and half a love story I don't believe in. I find it massively entertaining, but Yoon Shi-yoon put next to Jin Se-yeon proves that she isn't as capable at emoting as she is. I actually find the political affairs somewhat interesting, though, which is always a plus. The cold open was a bad idea, because I got super invested in it and then we cut back to the less interesting past. Still, lots of fun.

I disagree, the cold open was a great idea because it hooked me with this epic story of brothers and made me super curious about the past. It's a good idea because it caught the viewers haha, but bad because I'm not sure if the story as a whole is as good as it.

All that to say, I agree with everything you said, but will continue watching, because I am still curious as to how we came to the opening scene, and what will happen with the throne.

The problem with the cold open was that it was so engaging that I just wanted to carry on, not be thrown back into the past. I cared more about the lovers reunited than how those lovers came to be.

That’s a good way to put it! I agree totally

I always rated chinese drama below average but Old Guy is quite good. The so called fillers have their own messages. For those who are into father-son or romance would think all those extra character are fillers but i think all those extra come with their own warmth. One thing that might tire many is lengthy dialogues and overly formal conversations.

Banter is quality though

The main aspect of the story I consider filler is about his pilot job and all the ridiculous things that happen in that regard. I just think they could have come up with better storylines as I am sure there are plenty of pilots who could give them ideas of wackadoo things they have to deal with. But I think it is overall a charming drama, and I like that we get to know all the characters before any romance begins between the leads. I guess I should have warned that the romance is on the back burner for the first half of the drama.

All the flattery coming from the mouth Wu Zheng becomes over repetitive after few episodes.
I am more than happy to see this having less romance and more development in overall relationships department of everyone involved.

I like the delay in romance as well because I feel we know these people and what their issues are before the romance begins. Also, most romance centric C-dramas cannot support 40 plus episodes of romance without the story going sideways. Because Old Boy set up all the characters so well, I think this will be the rare contemporary C-drama that doesn't go totally sideways in the 2nd half....I hope!

Must I wait for Pretty Noona/Something in the Rain to finish airing before I get watch it in the US? Is Switch as fun as it looks? Is anyone recommend the C-drama Only Side by Side with You?

===

I caught Ji Jin-hee (Tae-wook in Misty) in the 2014 Chinese rom-com Bad Sister. It’s silly fluff but JJH is charming as ever. Scrub to 41:50 on Youku to see his shirtless scene on his sailboat. Lordy, he’s hella symmetrical but his hair and forehead might be the key to his beauty. He’s generically handsome with bangs (see 2009’s Paradise) but when he reveals his forehead with upswept hair, it’s like looking into the sun!

===

It started out as an atonement, but it became love.

I’m wallowing in Should We Kiss First?’s melodrama and loving it, thanks to all the Beanie buzz.
===

”It’s Hyuk. Oh Hyuk. That’s my name.”

What makes My Husband Oh Jak-doo so darn charming? Why do I want to make a GIF every five minutes? (Hint: #KimKangWoo #husbandgoals). Beanies have pointed out strains of old-fashioned makjang in its DNA, which is usually not my cup of tea. But the growing affection and trust between our mountain ahjussi Oh Jak-doo and spunky producer Han Seung-joo is a joy to watch.

Despite the darkness thrumming below the surface, the show sparkles with humor, much of it supplied by Jung Sang-goon as Eric Cho. HIs French is terribleand he’s not always kind, but he’s an awesome quirky character full of ambition and yearning.

The show’s surfeit of unbelievably nasty secondary characters strain credulity. As much as I dislike Seung-joo’s cruel mother and her parasitic younger brother, SJ’s obnoxious colleague (and Su-mi’s sister-in-law) is especially frustrating. Did the writer have to make such an absurdly awful character? I don’t know what to make of Eun-jo, Jak-doo’s ice-queen ex-girlfriend other than she’s clever and gifted, she’s entitled and she knows what she wants. I wish we had a little more about her backstory; at this point she’s more of a plot device than a fully-realized character.

Fashion: Bruce Lee/Kill Bill sweats are the best couple look ever.

Music: Can I download the background jazzy scatting-with-occasional-water-droplets from the end of Ep. 5? They’ve been stingy with the OSTs!

===

”Where’s my souvenir!”

I’m ready to ditch Evergreen/That Man Oh Soo. For a "fantasy" show, they've completely dropped the magical elements after Oh Soo's grandpa revived the tree. Aside from an occasional glimpse of the Oh Soo's tattoo on his alabaster pectoral, where are the love pollen and glittery auras? My favorite part of Ep. 8 was brother Ga Nah rifling through Oh Soo’s luggage.

—cont.—

Fashion: I marveled at Han Hyo-jin’s microscopic skirt. I know Koreans don’t sexualize legs like Americans do but that skirt barely covered her ass. I can’t believe anyone would really wear something that freaking short to a business meeting. She had to cover her crotch with her clutch!

Music: Evergreen’s OSTs are so damn catchy. Is there a way to legally stream/download Jung Jin Woo OST 4: Strange and Heartbroken? No luck in Spotify or iTunes. (I've got it in YouTube for now.)

I think Jung Jin-woo's song will be available at Spotify & iTunes around next week.

I saw that skirt and also wondered how it was work appropriate.
I try not to do that but that was short.

Switch is fun so far, but I'm of two minds about it. It's nothing new, and with political murders and stuff sneaking in to focus, I think the main reason to watch is the dynamite leads.

I love that you have separate headings for "Fashion" and "Music"! What really caught my eyes in Oh Soo this week is the fun bowling shoes and how Kim So-eun's sweater matches the wacky neon pallette.

I loved her blue coat at the end of epi 8, it's pretty. Anyway, I think everyone is doing a good or at least a decent job in this drama, except the writer. heh. The styling and music arrangements are pretty nice in my opinion - I love this drama's instrumental- at least it doesn't sound that it comes from music box LOL.

The soundtrack is beautiful and I do really like the directorial whimsical touches, like the new little cat sign above the vending machine. So cute!

I'd stick with the show if they'd go back to more real cats and less boys moping around.

I loved that coat too!
And the OST is good, even if I was irritated & bored at some points, the music during the last scene of ep 8 made me tear up.... T.T
*someone save this show please.*
*Not giving up*

That OST is so nice and gives feels. While the other OSTs are more on the cute ones, this OST fits for sad and emotional scenes. Probably the second half can be saved, only God knows.

Agree with you completely about Evergreen dropping the ball on the magical part. So dumb. I'm dropping the show!

I totally LOL'd at your classic comment that Ji Jin Hee is "hella symmetrical", an excellent observation. Don't leave out his breathtaking jawline! Sigh 😍. For a good look at his nekkid butt, please watch the first episode of The Man Who Wants to Marry. For reals 😁😳😁!!!

I just recently watched the first few episodes of The Man Who Can't Marry (because I found Kim So-eun so adorable in That Man Oh Soo) and was shocked to see that sublime behind in a Kdrama. How was it possible that the show could get away with that on a network like KBS? More importantly, why hasn't this establish a new wave of nekkid symmetry since 2009? Or am I missing something here?

IKR??? I wondered at the time how that didn't explode all over kdrama but guessed it was because Ji Jin Hee was already an ajhussi? Oh children, what you missed 🤗! It would never fly with an idol's behind . . . not that I think most skinny flower boy idols would have anything to compare. There, I said it 😏

Hehe I applaud your courage for saiding it.

They legit showed breasts in Stand Up!! which took me by surprise. Every so often something unbelievable happens!

Hmmmmmm 🤔 It appears that breasts didn't dent my brain pan nearly so much as ajusshi butts. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Forgot them already!

@kimbapnoona,

Oh, man! "Sublime behind" -- what a great turn of phrase. It sounds as if the cuteness is fundamental. ;-)

* waves at @bbstl *

ROFLMAO! Thank you for that fine art tip. That must have been filmed pre-pixilation!

@bbstl,

Following visual inspection of the video data -- for science -- all I can say is, "Holy moly!" Although I have no empirical evidence to support your contention as to the relative merits of idol derrières versus ahjussi assets, my gut concurs. ;-)

:D

*clear throat*
for scientific research to gather qualitative data for the aesthetic boundary of the human form
*cough*
@pakalanapikake @bbstl @tsutsuloo @frabbycrabsis

@kimbapnoona, April 1, 2018 at 11:52 AM

Thank you for improving the specificity of the wording! I'm much obliged. ;-)

It inspired me to propose A Qualitative Survey of "Fundamental" [as opposed to pectoral] Masculine Charms Observed in Kdrama Shower Scenes. That should prove to be a fertile area of inquiry as it is populated by subjects of both the idol and ahjussi persuasions. ;-)

In a pinch, one could also survey dramas containing footage of indoor climbing and rappelling. The possibility of rope burns, however, necessitates clothing.

Standards and grading criteria need to be defined. Any ideas?

cc: @bbstl, @tsutsuloo, @frabbycrabsis

@pakalanapikake
If we follow through with the field research and craft our proposal with much diligence, do you think K-Con 2018 will let us present our findings at the Prudential Center this June?

@kimbapnoona,
April 1, 2018 at 3:53 PM

Given the rabidly partisan Hallyu flame wars that break out online at the drop of a gat, we would probably have to make like soccer referees and give the spiel from a Sherman tank. Har!

I'm also concerned that there is insufficient lead time to watch all the necessary Kdramas.

And yes, you can call me chicken. I admit it. ;-)

@pakalanapikake @bbstl @tsutsuloo @frabbycrabsis For a scientific study of this sort, peer review is necessary to maintain standards. I am eminently qualified to subject your findings to the strictest levels of scrutiny.

@pakalanapikake

Pfffff, we are pros, PakalanaPikake, pros. All we need is a little hwaiting and we will watch dramas like couple of experienced time travelers.

@kimbapnoona April 1, 2018 at 4:49 PM

cc: @bbstl @tsutsuloo @frabbycrabsis

If we get ourselves moving at light speed, time dilation will give us all the time we need. But I'll still be sleep deprived. ;-)

Mahalo to @egads for volunteering to conduct the peer review.

We still need to define the criteria and figure out a rating scheme. She sez as her brains turn to mush. Must get sleep. Really.

I'm a little lost, @pakalanapikake, @kimbapnoona, @egads, but I'm totally in! XD

I'm wracking my brains for an appropriate and all-inclusive grading system as we speak!

@frabbycrabsis
I vote for focusing on the all-inclusivity but am personally less concerned about the appropriate-ness of the study 😝

No, it's The Man Who Can't Marry. It's a pretty funny show.

@bbstl,

You aren't kidding. I watched the first 7 episodes of THE MAN WHO CAN'T MARRY, and it was fun. Yoo Ah-in was also quite entertaining as the architect's assistant. Considering the latest developments in SHOULD WE KISS FIRST and GRAND PRINCE, I need all the chuckles I can get right about now. ;-)

Wasn't it fun to see Yoo Ah In before he was Yoo Ah In? 😁 He was such a cute gawky dork as the coupon-saving cheapskate wannabe lothario!

I'm having such a hard time finding anything to watch right now, maybe I should revisit that show.

@bbstl,

I've got whiplash from seeing YAI as a "cute, gawky dork" after recently seeing him in THE THRONE. This is one of those times when I could use a shot of light and amusing, but not too slapstick. I think I may just keep watching THE MAN WHO CAN'T MARRY. Thanks for mentioning it. ;-)

My Ajusshi: Now I find this is the first drama out of the (admittedly small) list of dramas I've watched thus far to resonate with something deep within me. The visuals and colouring in particular contribute greatly to that prevalent sense of bleakness, which reminds me of two of my favourite Japanese films: Battle Royale (2000) and Suicide Circle (2001). I am also partial towards the subway scenes as a reflection of everyday life, even as key aspects of the story such as Ji-an's skills keep this from resembling 'real life' too much, haha. I definitely look forward to watching the upcoming episodes, reading LollyPip's recaps and growing with Dong-hoon and Ji-an over the course of the next month and a half.

The Great Seducer: This is the guilty-pleasure drama that does a good job of giving me a mental break when I need one! Tae-hee's feelings for and subsequent 'breakup' with Shi-hyun came by too quickly, I think, so I wonder how the story will progress from this point onwards. We do have a good number of episodes left after all. (Why are these episodes 30 minutes long each if they are being screened two at a time, anyway?)

So the broadcaster can legally air a bunch of commercials at the break.

Boo! Well, at least The Great Seducer has plenty of jarring transitions within each episode to make up for it :P

My understanding is that shows cannot be interrupted with commercial breaks, so the advertisements have to air before or after the show. If they can air more commercials, there may not be as much need for PPL. Just think of it -- fewer SubWey moments! ;-)

The Great Seducer and agree the pacing feels off. I did like the dinner scene and also how Tae-hee came to the realisation that she should end it.

My Ahjussi has me hooked. I can't wait until their lives intertwine more. Interesting to see what he would do for his family. Romance or no I do not want to see Dong-hoon and his wife reunite.

Evergreen took a turn I was not expecting. It reminded me of in Reply 1997 when the mom called up the drama writer. I'm still sticking with it for now. I wish they'd delve into the fantasy aspect more. I guess I was expecting more....magical realism?

Speaking of Reply 1997 I marathoned it over the week. Just what I was in the mood for. I did depend on the recaps here for some insight. Very grateful for them.
I am now eyeing 1994.

On 4th ep of Full House. The leads are cute though he resorts to yelling alot. Her "friends" are going to drive me nuts.

Downloaded the 1st ep of Only Side by Side with You. The premise sounds interesting.

Watched first two eps of Switch and they were fun. Jang Geun- seok seems to have a charm about him though only second show I've seen him in.

Also, I totally didn't recognize the actor who plays the loan shark in My Ahjussi as the second lead from Go Back Spouses. And I did not recognize him in GBS as the drummer in The Liar and his Lover.

Chang Ki-yong is such a chameleon that I didn't realize I'd already seen him as Nurse Nam in BEAUTIFUL MIND. He's hilarious in the webdrama THE BOY NEXT DOOR.

Such a chameleon. I will have to look up The Boy Next Door. My favorite is for him is Go Back Spouses.

THE BOY NEXT DOOR is a sendup of every Kdrama gay romance trope in the book. It makes fun of the conventions, but not the people. Very clever. I laughed out loud.

The "friends" in Full House always seem to get off way too easy. They scam her, and then act like her best buddies again!

It is special kind of Kdrama amnesia trope: selectively forgetting the serious wrong doings by those who have gravely wronged you, like really really wronged you. While watching Full House I was actually feeling upset with myself for feeling upset by those friends when nobody else seemed to care about their wrongdoings in the drama.

Like in Missing Nine, when Choi Tae-joon just got away with multiple murders!

Or in Sassy Go Go (but to a much lesser degree since no serial killing) Chae Soo-bin was like a really terrible person who did her "friends" wrong again and again and really did not deserve all the hugs and smiles in the end. So yay to teenager growth? Maybe forgiving others is mostly for ourselves so we can move on with our own lives?

Gaaahhhh!!! Now I really miss Crinkles and Grumptopus.

But in Sassy Go Go she paid for her wrongs by ending up suicidal and being stripped of her class rank, I don't know how much more they could punish Chae Soo Bin's character other than have her actually die. Which would go against the whole message of the drama, ie that friendship can save you if you are open to it. They had something similar in School 2013 too, the bully guy is ultimately looked after by Nam Soon and Heung Soo because his home situation is bad.

It would be a different thing if she wasn't sorry and they forgave her but I thought it was clear she was, unlike the bully in Who Are You School 2015.

Yes, I'm learning this. Agree about Sassy Go Go. Those nicknames were so perfect for those two boys. Crinkles needs to be the lead in another Rom com.

They were truly maddening to me. In real life of course you would shun them, if not sue them.

They are driving me nuts. Maybe because it is played for laughs but they are showing no remorse, just want to use her to get close to her husband.