Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

javabeans

What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim: This couple is super cute, though I do find myself getting antsy at the lack of plot (and what feels like, to me, a big lack of conflict). I could watch Park Seo-joon and Park Min-young make moony eyes at each other for 16 episodes, of course, but I would prefer there to be some narrative reason for me to be watching them do that. Preferably one that’s not contingent upon Lee Tae-hwan, who is a very very handsome wooden block. Was Lee Jae-yoon too busy to take this role?

Are You Human Too: I don’t mind the corporate shenanigans because they’re an essential driver of the conflict and I’d rather have stakes than not, but I do prefer when they’re kept to a minimum and in the background. Mostly I’m here for sweet Robot Shin, who is so childlike and good-natured and human-esque that I’m both excited and a little nervous about how the drama will resolve his story. He seems aware and conscious and real in significant ways, but how will he survive in this world? How will he be allowed to exist when Human Shin also exists? I want this drama to figure out the answer satisfactorily, but it’ll hurt if it doesn’t.

girlfriday

What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim: I’m so happy that the brother drama on this show doesn’t dampen the overall mood, which remains delightfully comic and fluttery. I like that the heroine is assertive and bold as ever, and it’s so satisfying to watch the tiny changes in the hero, like him slowing down his stride to match her steps, or following her around all day on her day off like an overgrown puppy, trying to figure out how to please her. It’s just so darn cute.

mary

Little Forest: I was intrigued by this after a beanie mentioned it in last month’s theme. Little Forest is about a girl who goes back to her empty home in the countryside after failing to be “successful” in the city. It takes time to adjust back to the warmth nosiness of the townspeople, but she eventually falls into the rhythm of harvesting her own food and prepping the house for each passing season while she decides what to do with her life. It’s strange to feel comforted by a movie that’s literally just Kim Tae-ri cooking, but in a world that measures success by money, grades, or social status, it’s nice to be reminded that “failing” one doesn’t define us as a person. It just means we’ve been measuring ourselves against the wrong things. Little Forest did a great job at showing how our talents and happiness can be in a totally different direction than what most of the world dictates. And that’s totally okay.

Life on Mars: This show is my new crack! I used to think Park Sung-woong was this cool Chungmuro ajusshi who graces dramaland from time to time, but the more I see of him, the more I lose respect… and like him even more. His crass police captain should offend me, but he plays Kang Dong-chul with just enough goof and swagger and heart that I can totally see him as a relic from another era, working hard to bring justice with the only tools available to him. Jung Kyung-ho I’ve always liked so I won’t talk more except to say he should always work with this PD (as long as they take care of his back). But my favorite is soft-spoken Miss Yoon played by Go Ah-sung. I live for the moments when she one-ups the guys while she tilts her head and speaks in that tiny voice, as if she didn’t just single-handedly organize all the evidence and analyze the unknown criminal in between coffee runs. I can’t wait until she has all the guys following her orders on where to look. Meh, who needs to go back to 2018 anyway?

Are You Human Too: Nam Shin-III is the cutest and I will cry as hard as Young-hoon (y’all know he’ll be devastated) if that kill switch is activated. I don’t even know what’s the big deal with having two Shins. Just change his face. Did Mom never hear of the wonders of plastic surgery?

Tags: , , ,

Being a live-watching newbie, I learnt the hard thing about dropping shows: I found myself going back to watch clips to see if it gets better, no matter how many times I tell myself the show is going to continue sucking. So going forward with live-watching, I’m going to add a tagging system with three tags as seen below. The best shows are worth discussing in detail, the average shows are best enjoyed without over-thinking, and the worst? Abuse that FF button!

(Fan Wall Spazzing) Life on Mars (Episodes 3-4):
Episode 4 definitely was not as good as the first three episodes, but this drama continues to impress me. I believe that whatever male lead does is already part of a casual loop, such as that meeting his family in the past (what will the aunt in 2018 think omg) and himself (he is remembering his past by generating a new memory and triggering others out). The preview for today’s episode makes me so happy! A case that involves our male lead’s family back in 1988? YES! Little hop of joy from our female officer? YES! Captain and male lead running to save our female officer? YES!

(Fan Wall Spazzing -> Watching) What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim (Episodes 5-6):
Once I decided to let go of my critical expectations of this show from its outstanding premier week, I think I enjoyed the show a little bit more for its acting which is well anchored by the first leads Park Seo Joon and Park Min Young. I do have to say that Lee Tae Hwan looks a little green in his first leading role when he has quite the meaty character. The show ended its setup stage this week with some minute development for the side characters, which I hope don’t get forgotten as the show proceeds towards the conflicts. I guess I will enjoy whatever sweet moments the show gives me.

(Fan Wall Spazzing -> Watching) Are You Human Too? (Episodes 5 / 9-10):
This episode didn’t change my view of the drama after the first four episodes, which was mediocre at best. I’m disappointed that second female lead who looked interesting when the drama started turned out to be so predictable and rush the marriage when she thinks she has a rival. The mother will probably become the greatest threat to the robot as she continues her revenge (?) on the villainous father. The secretary has become the main draw of the show for me and Lee Joon Hyuk’s acting is excellent at portraying the unspoken emotions of his character. Kudos to him!

(Watching -> Fast-Forwarded) Come and Hug Me (Episodes 17-18):
I do think that the show had some interesting questions about nature vs nurture, as well as the notion of family and whether blood is really the thickest of them all. However, the show added way too many elements into the story to wring out the most tears, such as the evil reporter, the fan-club-murderer and the stepbrother with a dark past when I think that the initial reporter, the elder brother and the stepsister could have been given more interesting development arcs (notice the similarities in the...

(notice the similarities in the characters). And the same old cliffhanger of stares and tears ? Just NOPE.

(Fast-Forwarded) Handsome Guy and Jung Eum (Episodes 15-18):
Some of the instrumentals were nice! I liked that the female lead was able to reject the second male lead peacefully and that the two made up quickly after the awkwardness that resulted from that confession. The cohabitation hijinks were hilarious, though the talk under the lamppost was a bit more serious. I really wished that the male lead had used that opportunity to talk about the bet, which blew up in a totally predictable and angst-inducing manner. I don’t really care much about the workplace plot line, which seems to be a setup for the childhood-angst through that tin toy.

(Fast-Forwarded) About Time (Episodes 7-10):
I’m glad that the first-love was able to accept that her man had moved on with his feelings even though he still wanted to know the reason for her departure (this reminds me of Yoon Joo’s ex in A Poem A Day). The drama used the Hyung’s death as a way to reassure our main couple and us as viewers that they’ll never commit noble idiocy, and then the female lead still went ahead and did it. I just want to facepalm at the writing, because on top of this cliche, you have the chaebol family drama, the clingy second female lead, the leeching mother of our female lead … my head hurts.

I forgot to add this: from now on, I won't be posting any more thoughts / speculations on What's Wrong With Secretary Kim + Are You Human Too?. Life on Mars will continue as per usual!

I figured that the more I try to dissect the two shows the more frustrated I get because of the writing, which is getting really patchy in Secretary and cliche in Robot.

Also, seeing that both shows will be doing the same-old romance stuff as seen in the previews (company outing in Secretary + rom-com date in Human) makes me groan out load, so I'm not particularly enthused about having to see all that fluff without any narrative backing. (They're not shows advertised as low-key so they better have some plot!)

«I found myself going back to watch clips to see if it gets better, no matter how many times I tell myself the show is going to continue sucking».
LOL 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

@radily you know, if you want to dissect a show and not get frustrated, i would recommend you to watch a classic that we all know is awesome from beginning to end. Examples: Mother, my Ajusshi... just to mention two. But they are not fluffy or easy to watch.

Some fans created a site for My Ajusshi. Dissections galore! https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/

Thanks for this link! What an awesome site! To think of all the clues the production team added to the final ep that international viewers missed just because we aren't fluent in korean. Its great that they are included in this site!

I have given up on current running dramas. All of them unfortunately are so boring with their 90's love story. Currently rewatching old dramas I missed. I watched The Package this past week and loved it.

Just started on My Ajusshi, it is so good even from the first episode. I need more recommendations on dramas with good storyline.

Give Miss Korea a try. It is very understated, but with mature characters and good, non-cliched storyline.

I followed those two shows via recap on Dramabeans. :P

When I started live-watching, it was around early April and I remembered wanting to watch a show not discussed on Dramabeans so that I would get a fresh and non-spoilery view of a drama. I was had narrowed down my options to: Live / My Ajusshi / Poetry. Since Ajusshi had recaps till like episode 5-ish already, I decided to sample watch Live / Poetry instead, with Poetry being my final premier live-watch drama.

I did like the development in Ajusshi, although I would have to say that I ended up liking certain arcs a lot more than others, which made for some uneven reading. And personally I enjoyed Poetry a lot more even if the writing wasn't so good, so I ended up just following the show by recaps.

Reading the recaps for my Ajusshi don't make it for the viewing. Even if you are spoiled, because you skimmed them, go and watch it. The watching experience won't be the sane. Plus, my ajusshi is a drama we can always watch more than one time. It is awesome.

I meant, the watching experience won't be the same. It will be awesome... really, I may have to watch it again... 😊

Oh, dear dear dear My Ajusshi. Even its name melts my heart. What an excellent drama❤️💋

I do agree Lee Joon Hyuk's acting is spot on in Are You Human. The way the convey those subtle emotions and I especially love it how he communicates via hand signals and eyebrow emoting with NamShin. Sadly the rest of the show is a bit lacklustre. I am stick around (if only for LJH) but I do want to see how this human-robot relationship pan out.

Would you like to try Sketch? I find that is the most intriguing watch on my list at the moment. Admittedly it was not one of the dramas that I anticipated as I only watching after 6 episodes have aired, but now it's become the drama on the top of my list. I know a lot of people think there are so many plot holes, but I find Rain convincing as the badass cop and the mysteries are at least more intriguing than what we had on Queen of Mystery 2.

I keep wondering how many slow-mo, moony eyed, heart stopping stares are Secretary Kim and VC Lee going to have in an episode. Enough for a drinking game methinks. Oh, I think the reason they chose Lee Tae Hwan to play the older bro is probably because they needed someone taller or as tall as Park Seo Jun to seem intimidating (and be able to beat him up), although I do agree with JB that Lee Jae Yoon would have been a better choice.

Sketch’s premise wasn’t interesting enough to draw me in because it was the same-old use powers to take down an evil ala Children of the Lesser God, and Rain is not a name on my must-watch list. I think my weekend drama slot was also filled with anticipation of Life in Mars, which turned out to be so good so I don’t think I’ll be visiting Sketch any time soon.

I tried to continue with Suits (thanks for support, Beanies)... but I'm stuck at the half of episode 15... and after several attempts to continue... I picked up Just Between the Lovers...

Got disappointed with this week's episodes of Time... too high level of Noble Idiocy... I'm pretty sure Doha would gladly exchange his hours to be happy with Mika than to spend those extra hours being miserable...

Still loving Robot, Secretary and Mars.
They are all totally different (and I love that as well 🙂 ) and I'm enjoying them also for different reasons - Robot because of, well, Robot 😁 ...and that it brings back memories of my youth when I was buried deep in Asimov's short stories (though I could do without the too long and over the top action scenes).
Secretary because of, well the Secretary 😍 ... and our VP, and their dynamic together... and I'm also enjoying the directing and colours... and all the funny noises 😀
And finally Mars because of... everything. The mystery, the characters (profiler Na Young 😍 ), the 1988 Korea... and it has great acting, writing and directing.

I'm a happy watcher these days 😄

I'm still stuck at ep 11 of suits, I tried to continue but I still can't (I don't know why)... So kudos to you on that

About time;This is really annoying tbh
I just hate noble idiocy (Oh , and the lies, damn!)

Now seems like the right time to mention that I was at the opera today and thinking of all you Beanies while I rolled my eyes at the stage and mouthed "NOBLE IDIOCY " in the dark 🤣 Man, those plots go way back.

Haha, thanks for representin'.

oh, I might be in the minority who jammed together the robot, the secretary and then suits. I was not exactly overly sad when Suits ended (like I was when SWDBS ended- huge PHS fan) but I found it interesting, engaging and just the tiny, tiny bit emotional (can't spoil). As for Robot Shin, he is currently the cutest one on my screen. Secretary Kim and the overgrown puppy Young Joon are lovable and hilariously crazy. I'm sticking with both of these shows because of the delicate balance between the main and secondary stories which they seem to be working hard to maintain. I have no issues with the mildly interesting corporate and mildly annoying fiance storylines of AYHT as long as we get petty and childish Robo Shin and loud softie So Bong going back and forth the human-machine/love interests sides. Same with WWWSK- the childhood horror is fine, even interesting at times, but only as long as the leads keep learning new and better ways to include each other in their lives. Of course, some petty/swoony Young Joon and marshmallowy/innocent Robo Shin is always welcome for 16-18 episodes! Unless there's something better?

P.S. Yet to go for Life on Mars, keeping my plates organized and empty for now (although I'm pretty sure I'll be hungry later ;P) :D :)

Agreed about the WWWSK kidnapping plot. I'm wary of it as a "fated connection" trope, but so far I like that it's being used to develop the leads' relationship. The answer that Young-joon is going to give Mi-so in Ep7 is going to be very important in deciding whether this is going down the pit of cliches, or if it's going to be a fresh twist.

-Are You Human Too?: My first robot drama. Mix of familiar rom-com tropes with sci-fantasy. Shinnamon Roll. 😊😊😊😎
-Life on Mars: My first OCN drama. Mix of suspense and ROFL. I’m as lost as the main character about the mechanics of time-travel. 😱😱😂🎉

Also watching:
-Rich Man, Poor Woman: HOROLOLOLO 😂😂😂🔫
-World Cup: bromance and nail-biting drama. ⚽⚽😅😅
*runs off to watch South Korea vs Mexico*

World cup: bromance, nail-biting drama, and ToD?

Man...what a game! At least Korea scored a goal!

Hi @wishfultoki. Welcome to the world of OCN. Crime must not be your main genre like mine. How did you miss (to name a few): BAD GUYS (2014) and in 2017: TUNNEL (LOM in reverse?), VOICE and DUEL. I love their programs. I am always concerned about new OCN dramas becoming available subbed. CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD is still not available with decent subs. I am thrilled that LOM is terrific (JKH is one of my favorites), subbed and being recapped. It hit the trifecta!

It definitely is not. I could hardly watch Namgoon Min in Girl Who Sees Smells. I've read great reviews about Tunnel and was considering watching it. Let's see if I can stick with Life on Mars first... I can tell it's a quality drama.

Try to stay with LIFE ON MARS. TUNNEL was one of my favorites of 2017. The 2 male leads are favorites of mine Choi Jin-hyuk and Yoon Hyun-min. They wound up being quite the team.
I have only seen Namkoong Min in FALSIFY/DISTORTED (2017) and I really enjoyed that drama and his performance.
O/T. For given names I follow the Wikipedia style. I find it is easier for me to stick with that.

Anyone who finishes Rich Man, Poor Woman deserves and award and a day at the spa.

That's all I came to say.

Does this apply to the Jdorama as well? Because GIVE ME.

Still watching Richman... God, can't wait for the ending. JUST DATE already please!! 🔫🔫
Sadly, I am losing interest on Secretary Kim... The plot.. What is the plot?? 😭😭

Travel the world on EXO's ladder... Xiumin is just to cute... My heart can't take it anymore.. 😭😭

Currently trying to watch EXO in Lotte Family Concert.. Owwh, I miss them so much as a whole group. Now Where is Xiumin' fancam??? 😫😫

The Plot ! Yeah, the childhood trauma trope ? ! IDK about this, 😒🙄, writer is going wobbly !?! The Bro vs Bro line too. I like PMY & PSJ though, they are cute, so why all the other stuff ?

Exactly!!! Why korean dramas love childhood connection? Wheteher it was childhood first love or trauma.
But it based on webtoon, so I can't say anything 😢

I think westerners can't really understand this because they're used to dating and having intimate relationships with multiple people in a bid to find their one true love. And this is openly condoned by their peers and elders.

But the childhood friends to true love concept is popular all throughout the Asian world because they're considered such conservative countries who historically have had arranged marriages as the only way to get married. No outside relationships were ever approved of and no intimacy was allowed including handholding before marriage. So a "love marriage" is something relatively recent in a lot of cultures, even "developed" Asian countries. A man only loving one woman from childhood to adulthood is then the ultimate fantasy which shows a person can still retain their "purity" without being in an arranged relationship and while marrying the person they truly love.

Maybe I couldn't word it properly but this concept is not at all weird for any person who comes from an Asian background. Hope it helps somewhat.

Mary, that kill switch killed me.
What a cruel mother...
I wouldn't do it even to my old vacuum cleaner (and here we are talking about sweet Shin with a funny sense of humour and who hugs you when you cry)... Bad bad mommy...

Sweet Nam-shin3 is the only one I genuinely liked in this show. I just couldn't take it if he is destroyed thoughtlessly.

Yes, I like him... and Young Hoon.

Yesss him and Weas— err Young-hoon. My twitter friend is joking that Young-hoon is a robot too (he keeps saying humans can’t be trusted and he’s too efficient and devoted to Shin).

Ooooooh, that would be a nice twist!!!

Oh, that would be a great twist! And it would make me feel better about the horrible thought that I had after hearing Mom say that they can't have two Shins running around: What if Young-hoon ends up sacrificing himself to protect NS3, then they alter NS3 to look like (and take the place of) Young-hoon? I'm obviously still not over a certain character's death in City Hunter...

But later I thought that Original Shin (which haha, would be properly romanized as Original Sin) seemed pretty unhappy with his life and really just wanted his Mommy back, so maybe he could get a ton of plastic surgery, then he and Mom could go back to the Czech Republic, and NS3 and Young-hoon could run the corporation together.

If Young-hoon is a robot, he must've had the robot equivalent of a menboong when he learned about NS3's kill switch. 😱

@risaa

OK: "Original Sin" is the most fitting nickname evaaar!!

@mary and @dorotka I know!!! Once the Mom mentioned the kill switch: she has lost her soul somewhere in those past 20 years. Her calling shin her son? Lies. People who have known him for a short time are already devasted to lose him...seriously. At least he has David as his appa? David at least seems to genuinely care...

Best point by Mary: Shin III is a robot and there was literally a scene where the mom was putting on Shin III's face...just do that again? Problem solved!

Now we know why this show had trouble finding a broadcaster for a year. The network execs got to this episode about the kill switch and ragequit. XD

LOL! I love your theory! But...wouldn't they be curious like 3 days later..."darn it, we should have broadcast that! I need to knowwww what happened to my little sweet roll!"

They're playing "TV network chicken." The first exec who caves in to curiosity, airs the show. Apparently, KBS exec has the lowest E.Q. XD

@mary LOL now I can actually envision a whole scene with an exec frantically biting their nails hahahahaha

I'm not watching ARE YOU HUMAN TOO?, but had a sudden vision of this at the mention of "kill switch":

My first time live watchin a show (WWWSK). Those with more years of kdrama experience... is it normal to not feel the emotional highs and lows as intensely when live watching versus binging?

Not sure if it’s the show or the pace of watching. The best part of live watching so far is getting to discuss it in real time.

Feel like I’m heading for a drama slump. Thinking of trying out Miss Hammurabi, Jane is a Virgin or Chuck.

I actually find that, when a show is good, when live-watching the highs and lows are heightened for me because I experience them with everyone else and all the emotion just kind of builds.

I think it depends on the show, too, though. Some are just made for binge-watching while others are appreciated better when you watch live.

Also, you should totally watch Jane the Virgin!

Jane the Virgin is gold. I think it primed me well for kdramas

I agree. Drama marathon is a more emotional experience; I just don't have enough time or energy to binge dramas anymore :'( The the joy of live-watching is discussing it with other beanies.

My problem with live-watching: I usually dissect a show so much that in the end I don't feel anything about it anymore and drop it. #kdramaaddictproblems

OMG, I loved Chuck when it aired. It's not perfect, it has a lot of flaws but I really enjoyed what they were doing. Season 2 was pretty fantastic. But then the show didn't get cancelled. I didn't enjoy most of Season 3 but kept watching and the final season was awful. Still, I have good feelings about it still.

I dropped Jane the Virgin this year but the first few seasons are outstanding.

I find that to be true for most American shows! The first couple seasons are fresh and amazing, and then the plot inevitably starts to get convoluted to drag the suspense out for 3-4 more seasons.

I think I will give Chuck a try because I have a soft spot for Zachary Levi 😊

@wishfultoki This is my problem too. When live watching I have over a week to think about the episodes and really see flaws and stuff. Then life gets busy and I think I don’t have to watch this episode right away and then forget and drop it without really minding. I think for those types of dramas, I maybe would have stuck to it if I binged them and had less time to think about it.

Live-watching can be really exciting too though and more time sensitive! with the “crack dramas” whatever that may be for you. Like embarrassingly, I thought Heirs was really addictive. Horrible story when I look back but while it was airing I couldn’t wait for next week. Strong woman do bong soon and 7 day queen was another one for me recently. When I love a drama I’ll go on forums, look for behind the scenes pics and try to get spoilers to the next episodes.

I have to admit, as I get older and free time vs sleep gets slimmer I tend to be pickier and dramas that excite me this much have become more sparse. I still live watch shows but I sometimes can wait for the weekend to watch the eps.

@wishfultoki and @CoffeeMD you guys have described it completely! There’s something about waiting a week between episodes that magnifies a show’s flaws and dampens my excitement. But maybe I just haven’t found the right show to love watch yet.

But it’s weird because I don’t have this problem with American shows. I eagerly wait a whole week for the next episode and a whole year for the next season.

I find that the highs and lows are heightened when I binge. Waiting for episodes takes some of the oomph out of dramas for me; I also tend to like dramas more when I don't read comments, which really sucks because I'm kind of addicted to DB.

Binge watching has so much advantages! You can fast forward what is worthless and get to the point quicker. But if it is a drama crack, binge watching can feel lonely, and the things you would like to ask others to see if it were that you read wrong or that the subs were not complete, or whatever, then you can't do it.
I think, if you avoid the little (relatively little) spoilers you would get with an airing drama, and only read the recaps once you have watched the episode, then live watching is better. Also, it stops you from going to sleep at 2am because you told yourself you would finish that "last" episode, but you couldn't. 😂😂😂😂
Highs and lows? Depends on the show, either if is binging or live watching.

“it stops you from going to sleep at 2am because you told yourself you would finish that "last" episode”

That is so true!!! My sleep quality has definitely improved since switching to live watching!

I miss having those emotional highs. I think I just have to wait for the next “crack drama” to come out. None of the currently airing shows are hitting that spot yet.

Binging concentrates your feelings into a shorter timespan so it’s more intense.

And I think the one week wait for livewatching also gives us time to mellow down a bit. The only feeling that intensifies is impatience for the next episode. 😂

For me, it really depends on what kind of show it is. If it's an especially poignant or emotionally intense drama (e.g. Mother, My Ajusshi, Live, Prison Playbook, any of the Reply series), I prefer to watch live or to watch slooowly on my own. Partly because I want to savor the experience-- it's more delicious if I let the emotions marinate for a while, and don't consume the drama too quickly. But also because it feels less like entertainment, and more like real life to me when I experience time passing in a drama at a more natural pace. Emotions take time to process, and I think they have a deeper impact when given the proper time and space. If a drama has it's hooks in my heart and soul, I want to continue to feel connected to that world as I go about my week.

Similarly, if a drama is likely to make me feel giddy, I prefer to live-watch. If I had marathoned Healer, I know I wouldn't have been able to restrain myself and wouldv'e binged most of it. I'm sure that would've been very enjoyable, too-- but I'm so glad I was able to live-watch (and love-watch it) with my fellow Beanies. Recaps and comments can really help fan the flames of love for a show. Instead of feeling excited and jumping to the next episode (when marathoning), we spazz about our favorite parts, replay our favorite scenes a gazillion times, stalk BTS videos, and obsessively listen to the OST. (I think that repeatedly listening to a drama's OST can really impact how emotionally invested we become in that drama.) Trying to maintain that happy bubble during the week while waiting for the next episodes can be really rewarding.

But for mentally intensive drama where you have to keep track of a lot of things, sageuks, most rom-coms, family dramas, and run-of-the-mill dramas in general, marathoning can be preferable. I still usually prefer to live-watch a show if it's being recapped for all that the community participation adds to the experience, but sometimes, there's nothing like a good marathon.

Happy watching (however you end up doing it)!

I think the actual watching experience is the same whether live or binge and overall boils down to the type and quality of the show.

The same drive that makes it so I can't wait for the next week of a crack drama makes me push "next ep" at 2am. The same "meh" feeling as a drama slows in the second half would make me drop it whether live or binging. Dramas I can wait a few days to catch live are also the same I could wait a few days between binge spurts. And I still feel the super emotional highs while watching a show live (I remember almost sublimating during the last ep of Just Between Lovers). Etc.

I also find there are times I'm binging when some flaws are actually more glaring to me--repeated tropes or pacing problems or things like that stick out when the entire drama is fresh in my mind.

I think the only real difference is DB community involvement--it is fun to read through walls and walls of gifs and delightful posts. But, I binged Gaksital after it had aired and going through and reading the recaps and comments made me feel like I was involved. So, I'm pretty convinced it's mostly a toss up.

Marry Me Now? - I got caught up with this drama. What can I say, a good weekend drama is kind of like comfort food.

Lawless Lawyer - Wow, I didn't see that coming!

...and thanks to the World Cup, I might just catch up on the other ones!

How is lawless lawyer? Is it worth watching? I want to watch a good Lee Jun Ki drama. I have already watched aarang and the magistrate..

@dbeanie—If you're already a fan of Lee Jun Ki, then you'll likely love Lawless Lawyer. It's brisk and exciting with the truly lovely partnership at its center. I binged the first 10 episodes in less than a week.

Check out the lively thread we hijacked here. @caeparius started inserting episode markers so we can keep track of discussions. Dive in with new posts!

I'm really enjoying it. Very fast paced. Twists and turns everywhere.
I basically love this show!

I LOVE Lawless Lawyer so much! But it might not be everyone cup of tea! If you like action-packed gangster movies + some dark comedies, with lots of twists and turns, then you would most probably like this one!

It's my favorite of the dramas I'm live watching now.

Thanks guys. I am gonna binge watch it now 😊

Marry Me Now is good. I'm lovin' it!

Yipee! Ep. 29 of MARRY ME NOW? has just been posted. I'm hooked on it, and was fit to be tied that it was preempted on Saturday.

He, he, he.

*off to watch it raw*

Why Secretary Kim: PSJ and PMY are awesome, but I know I've lost interest in this drama when I fast forward a lot in ep 5 and wasn't eager to check on ep 6. Maybe too much goofiness for me to handle.
Are You Human Too: Loving this show to bits. Didn't expect the kiss come so fast. Can't wait to see what's gonna happen next week.
Life on Mars: More Taejoon and Nayoung, pretty pleaseee.

Finally fusion in Greasy Melo! Yay! I love this show.
Which is good, because it's all I'm watching.

I did finish up 20th Century Boy and Girl , which was just super nice and very enjoyable. I did spent most of the final episode wanting to slap just about everybody but that's because these women were 35 YEARS OLD, YO. I had the same reaction to Pretty Noona's portrayal of family relationships.

Other than that, I laughed heartily though the final episodes of the Love Knot , which were so hilariously bad I was glad I didn't drop it. I'm sure there's a part of the audience that thought this was tragic and epically romantic as the writers did. I was not one of those audience members.

I will pick up Secretary Kim at some point. Probably.

OH MY GOD. I dropped Love Knot when Left Prince became a casual rapist because the writer needed him to be a bad person. But I will have to tune in for the finale. I was watching that show 83% for the viki comments and 17% for Johnny Huang's shirtless scenes.

The finale is so epically hilarious without meaning to be. Academy Award level performances by the actors who managed not to bust out laughing at the absurdity of their new costars. Watch it. It gave me such joy even as I shook my head.

I found the rape scene off-putting as well. Especially since they spent so much time establishing that she was actually falling for him. Having him rape her was pretty brutal. For me, though, I'd already realised the show was terrible so I just chalked it up to further evidence of how terrible it was. If I was taking the show more seriously, I would have been really pissed at how that particular plotline was resolved (which you'll see if you do watch the conclusion).

As it was, I just decided to laugh at how bad it was. If I got annoyed at all the gender crap in Asian dramas I'd be perpetually pissed off.

Life On Mars - Raise your hand if you are in love with Officer Yoon. *raises both hands and waves wildly*.

She's become my absolute fave and in the coming episodes, I hope for her and Tae Joo to become a super power detecting team and I also want everyone to recognize that she's a competent officer who's more than capable of catching the bad guys and most definitely meant for doing better things than the laundry and dished. I'm also warming up to Dong Cheol. He's brash and hot-headed but I feel like his heart is in the right place mostly? I'm looking forward to this week's episodes. I especially cannot wait to see what Tae Joo's aunt brings to the story.

Why Secretary Kim - Yeong Joon's jealousy is quite simply hilarious. I enjoyed episodes 3 and 4 so much because it's clear that while Mi So has been amazing all along, Yeong Joon is slowly waking up to the fact there's someone else besides him who strives for perfection and 99.9% of the time achieves it all by her own awesome self. I quite like the glimpses we are getting about Mi So as well. She may think she does not have many qualifications or skills but I do believe she could be quite the astute executive. I'm not quite sure what to make of the drama once it veers into darker territory, what with Yeong Joon's creepy brother, Yeong Joon's past trauma and Mi So's connection to it as well. Tragedy + comedic romance feel like such a jarring pairing. I'll keep watching until I can.

Secret Mother - I'm waiting for this week's episodes!! I need to know what is behind that door!! I do think Yoon Jin's husband is going to be in some really hot water that he's not going to be able to easily escape.

🙌 Yes to Officer Yoon! She's got the body slap and profiling skill down in all its greatness

Yay Officer Yoon! She’s so cool. Whether it’s profiling suspects, fetching coffee, doing a million steps a day running down leads, going undercover or tussling with criminals, she does it all efficiently and calmly.

Yoon had said a few things that makes me wonder if she is “stuck in the past” as well.

She really is amazing!

Oh, that's interesting. I haven't noticed anything that indicates she's stuck in the past as well. Could you share the moments which gave you that idea?

Just change his face

@mary, you mean Nam Shin, right?

No one should ever touch or reshape Cinnamon Roll! He's the most perfect swirl of sweet heaven.

Munch munch while nodding in agreement

Are you eating what I think you are eating?

*clears throat*
@outofthisworld, it is unethical to deny a girl's access to the world's "most perfect swirl of sweet heaven"

Stick with your rice and stay away from my cutest wheat dough.

Are you EATING him? :O

You monster! *reports to Park Hee-young*

OK, everybody needs to stop referring to people as cinnamon rolls. It makes me crave an actual cinnamon roll. This is worse than the checkout line at Ikea, since there are no actual cinnamon rolls to purchase in my house. Perhaps you could call him a brussels sprout instead?

"Sprouts are pretty cute," she points out, even though she doesn't like them.

Little Profiterole? I mean, it's literally just a puff of sweet goodness.

Profiterole is acceptable, since I don't know what that is. 😊

*picks up @kimbapnoona*

*sets her away from our Shinnamon roll*

No touchy, unni.

@outofthisworld is right.

I can bake you some other cinnamon rolls and you can eat them.

Judging from your delicious pics, this is a completely fair trade-off. But but would it be okay to feast on uri Shinnamon roll with the mai aaiizzzz? *blink blink?*

Oh, yes. As his mother, I might have to avert mine, but be my guest.

Life on Mars: Like what everyone said, it's so trippy and fun and yet thought-provoking all at the same time. It's the first time a time travel drama captured the uneasiness and the creepiness of playing with time this well. Every small revelation and seemingly double-meaning comment send shiver down my spine, and I couldn't help but started questioning some characters' existence in both timelines while enjoying their budding camaraderie.

Yes to everything you wrote! I also feel that this is the first time a time travel drama managed to capture the surrealism.

I’m behind on almost everything. What’s up with me? With all the preemptions I should be on top of my game, but most of the time I opt to watch Parks and Rec instead, or spend hours making cinnamon rolls while watching cinnamon rolls (er, Dal-ja’s Spring) with @isthatscorner and @bammsie.

Miss Hammurabi: Still behind, but still really enjoying this one. I am so far behind, though, that I have nothing else to say.

Are You Human, Too?: Our Shinnamon Roll is the whole reason I am watching this.

What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim?: I like this, but I am feeling no emotional connection to it whatsoever. The show is funny, Park Min-young and Park Seo-joon are charming, but I just don’t find the characters emotionally acceptable yet. I’ve had a hard time getting into rom-coms lately. They just aren’t pulling me in the past few months.

Life on Mars: Okay, I have only seen one episode, but REALLY liked it. I am such a sucker for period-setting dramas and right when he landed in 1988 I was ALL over it! I can’t wait to watch more, and if this continues to be good I am totally having my dad watch it, who loved the original. Hopefully it will go on Netflix so he can watch it with ease.

And that’s all, folks! So... behind...

I love Parks and Recs too. I should do a rewatch of that.

I’m kind of constantly rewatching Parks and Rec. it is my go-to for when I want something on while I have other things to do. I’ve probably seen every episode 3+ times at this point. It’s my all-time favorite and I never get sick of it.

There was a time when I couldn't stop listening to The Pit on repeat. And Ben and Leslie are one of my favourite OTPs ever.

I totally agree. I think that I've memorized most of this show now. My other favs (non Korea) are the first few seasons of Community and the IT Crowd.

I have a show like that.

When life gets you down, go watch Shining Inheritance! 😂

It's going to sound weird but:

1. When I'm sick I watch a really bad low-rent Syfy channel show called Flash Gordon based on the comic book. They only made one season, nobody watched it and it got critically panned. It's actually terrible. And yet...

2. When I'm really stressed and can't handle anything new, I watch a really low-rent Canadian show called The Listener. It's about a paramedic with telepathy who ends up solving crimes. It's not great either. And yet...

It's funny what you're drawn to when you're stressed or tired or sick.

Have you seen Flash Gordon the 1980 film? It's the cheesiest HOWEVER, it is one of my favorite movies.

@thatstp I have seen that film more than once. It's really bad but has my favourite film quote ever. It's

Flash! Flash! I love you! But we only have 14 hours to save the Earth!

GO FLASH GO!!! 🤣🤣🤣

GORDON'S ALIVE!

I am trying this out, currently on season 2 now.

Shinnamon Roll

Best nickname ever.

Thank you, I’m pretty proud of it.

😂😂😂 @Shinnamon Roll.

I am also totally going to steal the phrase "emotionally acceptable" for real life situations as in, "Ugh no dude, you are totally being emotionally unacceptable at the moment."
*snaps fingers*

Omg LOL, that must have been autocorrect, I meant to type ACCESSIBLE. But I guess "acceptable" works as well.

I'm behind on everything but AYHT and CAHM...

Oh, boy.

And I want to rewatch Dal-Ja. and WFKBJ. and start LOM.

*dies*

You’re doing better than me. I’m behind on everything but AYHT!

Do start LOM, dear Bammsie!

Yeeesh, okay, us watching Dal-ja on Thursday and then watching an ep after Monster just makes me want to watch the whole dang thing. I can’t do this to myself.

Ok, I'm not quite ready to see my favorite psychopath tonight so maybe I will start it! It sounds like my cup of tea, and yet I still haven't gotten around to it..

Just a warning... LOM has a serial killer... 😂

@mindy You're killing me..

👀

It's not just you, but I am also having a hard time getting into rom-coms lately since I am Not A Robot ended way back in Jan. As a rom-com junkie, I want to like What's Wrong With Secretary Kim so badly (heck I want to like every rom-com that comes along so badly) but it's just not clicking. I can't connect emotionally to any of the OTPs. I should be upset that there is a kill switch for NamShin in Are You Human Too, but I just don't care for his emotional well-being whatsoever, so much so that I started to question if I have become too jaded?

So these days I find myself watching more procedural/crime solving dramas which are more enjoyable because, ironically, the lack of romance makes me feel less pressured to connect and just be engrossed in the mechanics.

Still watching Secretary Kim. Love the mains and their interactions but second half of ep5 was slow and the reminding-ourselfs-stuff-we've-just-seen-filler is starting to grate. I agree with DB that the main concern is that the original conflict was driven by the brother's mental issues and their generally messed up family dynamic. This would require an actor who can play charismatic and really messed up (and it's not about the reversal of ages - YJ looks more mature than his hyung even in the manhwa) which LTH is most certainly not. PSJ will have to carry most of the load so they'll have to shift the focus to YJ's pov. We've seen in ep6 already that it can work but I still would have liked sbdy else in the role of the hyung.

There's also been a drop in writing quality - I'm missing some of the cleverness and nuance of the beginning. Why did they have to change writers anyways? I decided it was a good idea to read the manhwa (in KR because I am cheap and an efficient procrastinator) and I am now even more appreciative of some of the changes that the scriptwriter was bringing to the story. Curious to see how things will develop.

I actually liked the second half of episode 5, the highlight for me was how they got angry at each other and then made up... and the ending was hilarious 😂😂😂

Oh, I was in stitches 😂
Actually, with this show funny thing happens often to me - when there is a certain moment I suddenly imagine it as a serie of manhwa pictures (despite not reading the source).... so basically I often feel like reading a manwha while watching the show... if it makes any sense 😁
And consequently I think I enjoy some scenes much more than if I had taken it as a "normal" kdrama 😉

Anyway, I think it is normal if we enjoy different things and as long as we enjoy something in the show, it's worth watching (and if not, time to drop even if everybody else says otherwise 🙂 ).

What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim? I need silly rom com in my life, and this one delivers. I do hope the kidnapping storyline doesn’t become too heavy handed and overshadow the cute of Lee Young-joon wooing Mi-so.

Moonshine & Valentine That ending though. Tears of laughter and major respect for each one those actors making through the scenes with the foxes without cracking up. Chinese dramas never fail to surprise me. That poor baker girl. I wanted the trio to stay together, but I guess I should have been more specific.

About Time I mean, it looks pretty. The soft colors, the lighting, Lee Do-ha’s home, the second lead’s skin after she puts on her face cream. I came for Lee Sang-yoon and Lee Sung-kyung. I hung in to support them. But now, now I’m just watching for the PPL that is blatantly commercial-like that it makes the PPL scenes Ji-ho wrote in BTIOFL look like Academy Award scripts. How did this go so wrong?

Undateables Have I dropped this? I can’t seem to press play on the next episode.

Avengers Social Club I want in. I want to hang out with this group and plot revenge while we drink instant coffee and eat ramen. Why did none of the streaming sites license this gem? Why did I wait so long to watch? I haven’t fallen in love with a show this way since BTIOFL.

Another Oh Hae Young Finished. This one lived up to the hype, and I really really liked it. I was afraid towards the end that they would pull a sad ending on me, but luckily fate isn’t set in stone, and Hae-young finally got her happy beginning (not ending, because that’s the point),

Lawless Lawyer It’s noble idiocy time—maybe Sang-pil caught it from Choi Mika in About Time--which means I get a bit impatient and want to smack some heads together. Plot twists, some plot holes, and man do I covet Cha Moon-Sook’s wardrobe. Does she shop at Evil Masterminds-R-Us because their tailoring is impeccable.

Life on Mars This is a fun ride back in time, and if they stay kind of true to the British original I already know the twist, but two episodes in, and I’m enjoying the Korean take on the story. Additionally, I’m glad to see Go Ah-sung back on my screen. Go Ah-sung and Kim Seul-gi are two actors that I don’t see nearly enough of, and the studios should be giving them much more screen time. And now I want them to do a project together. Maybe they can join the Avengers Club.

How can I up vote this about a hundred times? please? ^^

I loved Avengers Club so much, and not just because of coffee and ramen, but also because revenge was glueing a man to a chair, or throwing water of him in a bathroom, not killing them or ruining their family. And still it got them the results they wanted.

The whole thing was so refreshingly different.

Yeyyy you’re watching Buamdong! How’s the ramen cravings?

I've watched 5 episodes over 3 days, and had ramen twice. That bad.

Just thinking about Avengers Social Club makes me grin! The fan subbing team deserve a heroism award and I'm forever grateful for their brilliant efforts.

I would like to throw money, ramen, and instant coffee their way. Fan subbers are are heros. If only I knew Korean, I would help, but alas, I am monolingual.

Another Oh Hae Young is on my list and I've heard good things so it's nice to get another vote for it - especially from someone that "enjoyed" Love Knot as much as I did.

I binged Avengers a few weeks ago and really loved it.

@leetennant ChinguMode,

I haven't seen LOVE KNOT, but OH HAE-YOUNG AGAIN has some great, surrealistic scenes that made me laugh out loud. And there are plenty that triggered intense second-hand cringing. So embarrassing! Some are immensely touching.

OHYA was the first drama I live-watched and fangirled about on DB. Check out the recap threads for insights into the way that time flows, and the nature of Park Do-kyung's premonitions. Both have to do with Mugyo (Korean shamanism). Pay attention to the shifts of color and aspect ratio (and letterboxing of scenes, IIRC) that denote dreams, premonitions, and flashbacks. You have to pay close attention to the subtleties, but it's worth it.

Do-kyung is a foley artist, and the soundscape of the show is fantastic. Music is used to great effect. The visuals, particularly when Do-kyung and his team are in the boonies to record ambient sounds such as the breeze blowing through a field of barley, are gorgeous.

Do-kyung's noona (the big boss of the restaurant chain where "plain" Hae-young works) is a wild woman who speaks French when she's plastered, which is every night -- owing to her broken heart. His childhood best friend, played by Kim Ji-suk, is a playboy lawyer (Mr. Rooftop Party) who speaks fake(?) French, too -- and when the two of them start blathering at each other, they're hilarious. The ripostes come thick and fast.

Seo Hyun-jin and Eric have incendiary chemistry -- like tossing metallic sodium into water. They set the standard for hot and bothered smooches. ;-)

Lee Han-wi and Kim Mi-kyung play "plain" Hae-Young's parents. Mom is formidable -- and Dad wisely keeps a low profile. They are among my favorite pairs of Kdrama parents.

The title is word play. Hae young = "mistake" as well as being a Korean given name.

I heartily recommend OHYA. ;-)

Life On Mars Ep 3 & Ep 4, 3 more so, were absolutely incredible, brilliantly astounding and mind boggingly trippy. I'm so delightfully confused about whether he's imagining everything in his subconscious or whether he time traveled and this is reality. The 80s sound track is amazingly out worldly and the morphing scene, strip chase and Officer Yoon being a boss (in heels) were all fantastic.
The sheer number of adjectives I've used speak volumes about the adrenaline rush and love LOM gives me.

Ms Hammurabi I've figured out what keeps me from awarding this brilliant drama a 9 or 10. It's because at times, the drama lacks the subtlety that makes it so incredible. Instead, especially towards the end it gets very dramatic, almost preachy with it's "moral of the story" and inspirational music in the background. Ep 8 was great, 9 not so much. Oh Reum too can be very judgemental and one-sided, which is at times aggravating. The drama however, ensures she's reprimanded and does consider her "impulsiveness" (the meaning of her name) as a flaw (since she's a judge). So YAY!

Couldn't catch up on WWWSK *wipes tear*

I think you've nailed why I dropped MH, the lack of subtlety. Oh Reum, much as I wanted to be on her side, is toooooo much.

Exactly. At times (towards the ending), the writing is so heavy handed and blatant. It almost comes across as being preachy with everyone shedding tears. I love Ba Reun, Oh Reum not so much. I find her at times kinda hypocritical? I don't know how to explain it. I love how she stands up for issues but she jumps into everything with considering how she may worsen the consequences.

Everything you and egads said, but maybe it is not surprising that a former judge turned writer would be preachy in the delivery of message. This drama could have been one of the best if there is a good assistant writer/editor?

Yes! Someone to skim out the preachiness

Uri fan's translation of the interview with Judge Moon writernim in yesterday OT gave me a lot of insight into why this show is the way it is. When I read that the story was originally published in 2015, while South Korea was still reeling with intense grief and anger due to the Sewol ferry disaster, I understood why there's a strong undercurrent of righteous indignation in the script (often channeled through Oh-reum's character). The preachiness would've resonated more in 2015. Interestingly, Judge Moon said that Go Ah-ra thought Oh-reum's anger was too OTT, and so he toned it down some... I guess he didn't tone it down enough. I agree that the script would've benefited by having another writer tweak it further.

I'm really enjoying the show (I haven't watched ep. 9 yet), but I feel it's overly sentimental sometimes, especially in the courtroom scenes. Less OTT music would help.

Despite these issues, it's still mighty impressive that this well-regarded show was written solely by a practicing judge. He's done a better job than many drama writers we know. 😒

I just said OR has become (IMO) an insufferable know-it-all who makes unilateral decisions on who (whom?) Is right. It is turning me off.

I agree. I think this week was one of the first weeks I got annoyed at OR for speaking up. I thought she settled down and showed growth/maturity In the past couple episodes, but then ep 9 and her speaking out of line was a bit much. If she has an issue she needs to bring it up in the proper way. Like talking to her superior. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I did love the message hidden within her inappropriate lecture though! How the judge didn’t really ask everyone because his community is composed of rich people and not considering people that have less. It always is so perfect at capturing poignant points that I feel a lot of people may not consider in daily life.

OR is only a plot device speaking on behalf of the author used to dramatize the conflict, expose the corruption within the court and the problems within the society. The promotion of MH says it clearly, she is a judge that can't be found in this world.

You have a valid point (I read your comment way down below too) and I agree with not wanting OR to become the damsel in distress. Thank you for explaining her purpose and role as the idealistic lawyer you can’t really find in real life. I still wish for a happy medium? Like standing for justice but not in the ways she’s doing some of it. For example, I loved the reason she called the judge out, but instead of “calling him out and labeling him as a bad person”, she could have been like “I have an idea senior judge, what if you ask people who come from lesser backgrounds too because they may have a different opinion”. Idk, that’s how we do it with hierarchy in medical school. But that’s more the reason I think I got a little annoyed. She’s also seeing one side and making it good or bad as well. Like Judge Gam was breaking the law because he made a mistake and had to protect his kids education. I’m sure OR didn’t get that information though?

I get where you are coming from. A Judge is also a human. Just like BR tries to get preferential treatment for his mother in ER. What he did is wrong, but understandably human. I will do the same. But as Judge Han confronts Judge Gam, if you need money, then be a lawyer, not a judge. A court is no medical school. It represents the legal system of a nation that should take care of every citizen *equally*. A judge should uphold the principle of justice and be clean of any involvement with and influence from any conglomerates. Judge Gam is by no means a bad person. He accepts money for his daughters' education. But how about Judge Han who also has two daughters and manages on his own, despite living in a cramped apartment, without compromising his principle and position as a judge? Taking the money he shouldn't take for a good cause (actually a quite selfish cause) doesn't change the fact that Judge Gam commits a crime.

Similarly, Judge Sung, the one who abuses judge Hong and causes her miscarriage, is another good example. He works ruthlessly at all cost to the extent of sacrificing one life (Judge Hong's baby) in order to afford his wife and kids abroad. Should he be excused for workers abuse for the good reason that he wants to provide for his family?

@ennui-young no I agree, judge Gam should not be excused for what he did. And the others judges as well, they are all flawed and some ar just bad people. So if they make a mistake they have to make up for it which means being let go at times. I was more using it as an example of OR not looking at both sides all the time either. I like OR overall and her outbursts don’t turn me away from the show. They have a purpose and her speech a couple weeks ago in front of all the judges and her stand against the judge for overworking his employees was awesome. I was just a bit disappointed for her speaking out of line with the senior mostly. There’s a time and a place professionally to address these concerns and it is not always in the lunchroom in front of everyone?

One soompier has a great take on OR's bluntness, which is what I have in mind for the longest time.
(credit: star2010)
"Since you said that the novel is like a philosophical treatise, is it possible that Judge Moon may borrow Plato’s style?

What i mean is that Judge Moon mirrors OR’s character to Socrates, who can been seen as a mythical character in Plato’s dialogues. Like OR, Socrates is deliberately irritating, funny and rude; he asks many important questions but his answers can be controversial. Most of what we know about Socrates are from the Plato. This is the same with OR, that we know her from IBR, from her dialogues and interactions with BR and other characters."

I actually find it interesting that OR does not talk back to Judge Han anymore--she is literally more like his daughter(Reply 1994 yay!), getting coffee for him and becoming very endearing in front of him. (I love the chemistry between GAR and SDI) But then, why does Judge Han let her talk so disrespectfully to the other senior judge? He stops her at the end, but he always lets her deliver the key message. The two rebuff scenes from episode 9 makes me feel like that OR is speaking on behalf of Judge Han, who in recent episodes has really become ( and will continue to) hold the center of the show. More and more, I see Judge Han to be the embodiment of Judge Moon (the scriptwriter). There exist striking similarities between OR and Judge Han with regard to personality (Judge Moon also brings this up in his interview)--both also come from a non-elitist background. When OR finds out the solicitation, it is Judge Han who reports to the head. But of course, OR has a lot to learn before maturing into a well-grounded, compassionate but fair judge ( I still consider her to be a plot device though)