Open Thread #570

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Happy Friday, Beanies.❀️ Hope you all are enjoying your weekend and planned your binge watching dramas well.
My work schedule is hectic Mon-Sat 9am-11.30pm still I somehow make time by reducing my sleeping hours to watch dramas but since last few months I'm missing out on most of the dramas about which I've read good reviews too.
I'm enjoying my work so no complaints about it but I miss my time with k dramas.
I've started watching Meteor Garden 2018 and It's killing me to watch only 2 episodes/day but can't exceed it too. I'm just happy that it's Saturday tomorrow so that I can binge watch throughout the night till Sunday.
Just a random question any Novel which you want to be made as Korean drama?

I just finished reading "The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared". I think it would make a fantastic drama.
It'd be like a road trip drama with one grandpa and a couple of ahjusshis and an ahjumma and an elephant. It's hilarious.

There's this Chinese web novel called "My Mister Ostrich" that I think will fit kdrama melo-romance genre perfectly. It has lovely childhood-friends-to-lovers romance and touching family and friendships stories. Though I reckoned the lead male's condition might be too hard to explore in drama form.

Enjoy your binge-watch this weekend!

Mon-Sat 9am-11.30pm? That is insane. Hope you get compensated enough. I had to work extra 5 hours a week (so 45 hours) and that was hard for me.

There are historic novels by English writer Georgette Heyer which I have always thought can translate very well into a modern Kdrama. They were my happy pill for many years, and when I discovered Kdramas I couldn't help finding similarities right and left.

I have thought the same too. I love Georgette Heyer - she's so witty & her characters charming/interesting. Chaste enough for kdramas too. My mother used to read her books as a teen and so did I. So many of Heyer's books would translate well to kdramas eg The Masqueraders (crossdressing), The Convenient Marriage, A Civil Contract (arranged/contract marriage), The Quiet Gentleman, The Talisman Ring, Regency Buck, The Corinthian (thriller/romantic comedy). Georgette Heyer is the undisputed queen of romantic comedy, even 80+ years after her books were published. Many romance writers themselves cite Heyer as their favourite.

Some favourite Heyer snippets:
"You're only a man! You've not our gifts! I can tell you! Why, a woman can think of a hundred different things at once, all of them contradictory" (Powder and Patch)
"There is nothing so mortifying as to fall in love with someone who does not share one's sentiment" (Venetia)
"No one could have called Mr Standen quick witted but the possession of 3 sisters had considerably sharpened his instinct of self preservation" (The Cotillon)
"She decided that her wisest course would be to put him out of her mind. After reaching this conclusion, she lay thinking about him until at last she fell asleep" (The Nonesuch)
"It was growing late and although one might stand on the brink of a deep chasm of disaster, one was still obliged to dress for dinner" (April Lady)
" "Do you forget I am your sister?" "No, I have never been granted the opportunity to forget it" " (Frederica)
" "Well, you have the right to make a sacrifice of yourself, but I'll be damned if I let you make a sacrifice of me" " (Black Sheep)

LOVE all of these.

Yes! She is the ABSOLUTE QUEEN of romantic comedy!

And False Colors! And Sylvester! Oh SO many of them!

I know that Nicholas Sparks is an overrated author, but honestly a Korean drama adaptation of his novel will be more successful than movie adaptations.

To All The Boys I've Loved Before series by Jenny Han also will be a great hit if it becomes a Korean drama.

Happy Friday everyone!
I'm on my way to spend a weekend with my family and I'm super excited since almost all of my siblings will be there πŸ˜ƒ I have 13 siblings and all of them are married and have own children so it's really rare to meet all of them together... so, I'm really excited 😊
To all beanies: Have a happy weekend!!

Enjoy your stay with family. Have fun.❀️

Thank you! β™‘

That's impressive! There's 8 of us and we haven't been in one room in like about 20 years. Have a very fun gathering!

Thankfully my family tries to meet up at least once a month. But most of the time I can't be there, since I don't live this near to my family. So I will enjoy the weekend for sure 😊 Thank you!

That is amazing. You have so many siblings? If I count all of my cousins there is still fewer of us.
I hope you have a great time.

I know, my mum is a superhero πŸ˜‰
Thanks a lot!

What, you all have the same mom?
Superhero is not good enough word for that.

Yeah, same mum and same dad for all of us 😊 And you're right, superhero is still not good enough for her!

Have a great weekend also and have a good time with your family.

Thank you!

I'm one of 7 children plus 2 step siblings. All in all about 25 people. We try to go on a trip once a year. Normally, just renting a big house where we can enjoy a long weekend. Last month, we went to Orlando just so we can take some family pics. (No we didn't go in a theme park. Too expensive). Next year, we plan on going cruising.

It is rare for all of us to be in the same house together as well. But some of us do try to meet from time to time. Always a fun time when they do occurr.

Hi, girl. That is great and the weather is still very nice.

I am watching again regularly Oh Hae Young again, so... I am in the last episodes... es geht.
I will let you know my opinion after I am done.

Now personally I am ok, but still haven't found better job and busy busy with sports.

Take care!!!!!

Hi javinne! It's so nice to hear from you :) I'm sorry that you don't really like Oh Hae Young Again, but thank you for watching it!
To be honest, I haven't picked up I hear your voice for a few months now. At the moment, I'm too busy with my master thesis and work. But I will come back to this drama in December, when I've finished my master thesis :)
It's good to hear that you're ok and I hope you will find a better job anytime soon!
You take care, too!!

So, Ghost Detective is full-on horror. I had heard like not much at all about the show and it's delivering ... very similar to what the trailers for The Guest was promising. Wowza. (Unfortunately I have no way for seeing The Guest, maybe it's going to show up on Netflix later?). Overall I can't recall a fall drama season with this much horror packed in but it's fun!

Ghost Detective is turning out to be quite interesting!

Happy Friday!
This is the first time I've checked an Open Thread post this early, so I thought I'd stop lurking like I usually do. :D
My week's going to feel a little empty since TBS and Gangnam Beauty ended. Where is my romance fix going to come from??? I desperately need one, because I'm watching both Ghost Detective AND Hand: The Guest, for reasons I still don't understand (apart from the cast), and afterwards I have to search for fluffy things so I can sleep with the lights off at night.
Other than that, I'm watching a Thai BL drama called Love by Chance (anyone else watching?). The main couple is so freaking adorable I wish they'd show more than one episode a week so I could use that to scare away the Wed-Thurs ghosts.
My mum discovered Netflix recently. She uses my sister's account to watch this Pakistani show called Zindagi Gulzar Hai, which she's in love with. It's so awesome to see her branching out. I'm trying to figure out how to get her into Kdramas, coz she doesn't like reading subs while watching. Can anyone help? There are a couple of shows I know she'd love and it's always fun watching her discover something new.
I hope y'all have a good weekend!

This was a little rambly, thanks for the patience while reading it as well :D

Welcome to Open Thread! Glad you could join us!

Glad to be here!

Yes, me too. I like BL and they are easier to find in Thai shows. The production quality is so different from kdramas though, but it's ok as long as the main OTP is nice. I like Ae and Pete a lot, though Ae looks too much like a kid sometimes. I do think there are way too many unnecessary couples, they are just silly fillers. They rush things that should be better explored and linger on nonsensical stuff. For instance Ae hit on Pete almost since the start and he was in theory a straight guy, what's up with that? Where is the angst? Also, I'm on ep 5 but they have a good opportunity to show Pete is doubtful about confusing Ae and loosing the friendship, but instead they will probably give some other silly explanation. Almost all secondary characters are strange and loud and act crazy. I still like the show. :)

They do kind of touch on the confusion bit in Ep. 6, although it's more of a Noble Idiot move on Pete's part. I think they're going to use the same trope they usually do in Thai BLs : I'm not gay, but I love you because you're you.
I'm interested in seeing how the Tin Can couple turns out (in part because of their names) as well as Kla and No. I don't really care about the fourth.
I think I've gotten used to secondary characters in Thai BLs being crazy. It seems to be their version of the funny friend.

Yes, crazy secondary characters, also what's up with the drag characters? They have drags on colleges and they act so exaggerated? I don't know if it's fake or their reality?
I don't like Tin because nobody is that rude. His lines don't even have logic sometimes. Can looks like a child, a hyperactive hysterical child, I want to slap him sometimes. Why can't they cast someone that looks a bit older? I can't even imagine TinCan together.

Yeah, I don't know about the drag thing, either. It feels like men seem to be more open about being trans, there, though. I think.
Can is sooo annoying. But that's why it's so interesting, though, coz I want to see how they manage to get them together. Frankly, I'm the most invested in the OTP and KlaNo.
To answer your comment below: I know, right?? It's like there HAS to be a weird female hanging around a male lead to create tension. Can't they have a girl not related to them be supportive for once?

I forgot, what about the girl that comes out of nowhere just to fall in love instantly with Ae? Crazy.

Whether someone believes or not but Pak Shows do better than kdramas playing controversial topics. Then they have have dialogues like everyone is a big intellect. stereotypical side characters. Having atleast 1 episode shoot in turkey and much more.
Its just that Kdramas line well with english audience and korea does good in marketing them.

I haven't seen the show myself, but my mum really likes the way it portrays the issues it deals with. I think it's because the Indian TV shows she watches are still stuck in extreme makjang territory and have little to no plot or character development, so it's a welcome change.

To those who are watching Ghost Detective and The Guest simultaneously, which one totally and genuinely frightens you more? I know you're out here, horror lovers! πŸ€—
I'm in a drama slump rn but I might pick up both them. πŸ˜†

Have a nice Friday and weekend all.

I think they're both equally frightening. I don't know how much my opinion is worth, though, I slept with the lights on for two days after I watched The Exorcist (from behind a pillow) because I kept thinking the possessed girl was kneeling next to my bed in front of my face and staring at me in the dark.
Dammit, now I'm scared. I'm going to go find School 2017 clips to take my mind off things.

Yeah you have indeed an unreliable opinion. LOL
But i hear you, the heart palpitations from a horror linger for a few days after the fact. The Guest is on Netflix, I'll see if I can find other ways to wath it. πŸ€—

They are both really good, though, so I guess the lingering palpitations are worth it :) Also, I wasn't as scared this week, so maybe I'm building up an immunity? Or maybe th

OMG, now I'm even frightened by your scary imagination of possessed girl, and I have never watched The Exorcist!

I would like to recommend you pick up both! I'm glad I did because I love both dramas equally. My drama heart has been ecstatic for the past couple of weeks, it's been a long time since I watch anything horror (The Exorcist and The Shining may or may not have scarred me for life), let alone enjoying TWO at the same time.

It's very weird, I do find both frightening enough to chase me away, but somehow I'm still glued to my screen πŸ˜…

Why not both...I like your thinking! So I've started on Ghost Detective and it's kinda...funny? I like the odd investigative duo a lot, add Park to the mix and it's love. It had scary elements with the ghost, the kids and the pooor dogo. SNIFFF

Ghost had a scary opening week :) Objectively, after watching Guest, Ghost turns out to not be as scary, it's actually a much easier watch. Both dramas are as frightening as they need to be, I appreciate it when dramas are aware of what they want to do.

I like that Ghost doesn't try to overdo the horror elements, it's done enough to keep me intrigued and eager to find out more. And as you said, I love the leads and their dynamics, I can't wait for more.

I will just write what I posted somewhere else
The Guest is pretty scary- what with actual demons and spirits and your typical possession shenanigans.
Ghost detective is not exactly scary- More like a thriller/mystery. The villain manipulates people and exploits their darkest thoughts and weaknesses. So in a way, it’s more subtle. But still don’t watch it at night if you’re scared.

I would say The Guest is the more intense of the two, and more graphic with depicting the violence and horror. For both, I'm enjoying how various people are gathering to work together to take on the demon(s). I'm looking forward to how each will use their particular skills and strengths as the challenges mount.

Hi @hyoria @fab
I'd have to say that The Guest is more truly a horror show and scarier. I can't call myself a horror lover, but I do try, once in a way to watch a scary show!!! 😊

Hi Growingbeautifully! 😚
Having seen the beginning of Ghost I agree that it's the less frightening one. They are not that similar either, demons are on an entirely different level of scary. Whoaaa. I'm definitely excited for both.
It's quite stormy tonight so it's the perfect setting for a horror. πŸ˜±πŸ™ˆ

I'm only watching GUEST, partly because of the two Coffee Princes in the main cast (I'm digging their performances), along with Ahn Nae-sang, and partly because of the Mugyo vs. Roman Catholic approaches to dealing with malign spirits. It has not scared the pants off me yet, which is a good thing. It's intense, but I can handle it. So far.

The Coffee Princes are doing a great job. I too am really digging their performances. I might have looked away when the demon was the taxicab, that was an . . . imaginative way to do what he did.

@egads, I saw that coming, and it was like watching an impending slow-motion train wreck. I think I looked away because it would be too gruesome.

I'm beginning to wonder if Park Il-do is really Park Il-oedopus. Sheesh.

I got the distinct impression that Hwa-pyung was agitated because he realized that he was going to have to get his cab detailed to a fare-thee-well.

I think I would just leave that cab at the junkyard . . .

So far, I only watched two episodes of The Guest. I have not watched Ghost Detective yet. I think you need to watch something not scary in between so you can at least sleep through the night.

Happy Friday everyone! This will be my second post here on OT and I have been feeling happy and well this week after my first post! Thank you to everyone who encouraged me and gave their advice last week! ❀️

I've had a funny experience this week with my family. As the only person in my family who downloads ost of dramas that I've managed to watch, I was really shocked when I got home the other day and heard korean drama osts playing at our home! I had to question everyone at home that time as to who keeps playing those songs, only to find out that it was actually my phone! (my earphones got unplugged on it) It was a really funny and embarrassing experience.

By the way, there will be a lot of dramas airing next week and the week after that. What are you guys looking forward to? I am really looking forward to Terius Behind Me, The Third Charm, The Beauty Inside, Where Stars Land and The Smile Has Left Your Eyes! (phew, that list was long!)

All those are on my list too!

I'm looking forward to Seo Hyun-jin in THE BEAUTY INSIDE. I loved the film, and am curious to see how it is adapted to a drama format.

Definitely looking forward to Terius Behind Me, I adore almost everyone in the main cast. It makes me so happy Son Ho Jun in roles. Love the The Third Charm cast and The Smile Has Left Your Eyes. We've got some good dramas coming up!

OT Week 84! My weeks are just a whirlwind, and I’m sure so many of you are in the same boat I am with not enough time in the day. But I am taking the weekend off, because all work and no play makes Ally grumpy. And I figured out how to watch the rest of Thirty but Seventeen, which I’ve been spoiled from the fan wallβ€”but I’m fan of spoilers. So, *fingers crossed* I’ll be able to see those last 4 episodes this weekend!

Mr. Sunshine is perpetually on hold though. The episodes are so long and I have to concentrate so hard to watch this one. Which can’t happen right nowβ€”my brain is otherwise engaged, and my energy is spent. But I did make it to a recap (because dramallama is that good of a writer) and the plot finally moves!
My husband is on a c-drama kick, mostly because he thinks Chinese actors are more natural and actually look Chinese, and he was in love with FUYAO. So we watched the first episode of Rise of the Pheonixes on NETFLIX. It was slow going, introducing the major characters, but it was too slow for me to get into. However, the main hero, the 6th prince who embroiders, apparently hasn’t been in a drama for 10 years (been making his money in movies instead). I thought that he could have been more charismatic, he looked really stiff to me that first episode. So, it’s unlikely he continues this one, and I’ll just be watching from the sidelines, barely. And I’m kind of upset that they used my title for the Kdrama I wanted to make, but just called β€œRise of the Phoenix.” It was on this OT #512:

Conversation:

Daughter: All my friends were invited to the math competition!

Me: *looks at e-mail, counts up girls vs. boys on the team, 10 total: 7 girls! 3 boys, Math genius/soccer phenom is one, so is the overachieving Chinese boy, and then another boy. But 7 girls: a dancer, a gymnast, a girl whose parents are both university math professors, a little actress, and my daughter! AWESOME!*

Daughter: And my best friend too, she wants to study together.

Me: *well that throws a wrench in my betrothal plans* Sounds great, honey, tell me when she can; I’ll call her mom.

Daughter: Oh, and best friend (the little actress) and I are going to be assassins for Halloween and we made business cards. I printed them off. We need to laminate them.

Me: *shows me the cards: β€œits’s time to kill in style; BOSS assassins” with a graphic of a tuxedo*

Moral of the story: Who needs boys when you are the BOSS of your own assignation firm?

2nd Moral: #mydaughteristotallynormalipromise, #shegetshercoolnessfromherdad

3rd Moral: Have a great week everyone!

Your daughter sounds lovely. I hope to hear more about her assassin firm 😎

Your daughter is very cool, and has chosen a profession costume where cool coats are a must. I now picture her and her friend entering the mathletic competition with their assassin coats and hair blowing majestically in the wind.

Sidenote: I was alternate on my high school math team, and not only was I the only girl on my team, but there were very very few of us at any competition, so I love the girl/boy ratio here.

I dodged the high school math team because I didn't want to be the only girl. I lied and said I had to work Saturdays (when all the competitions happened).

My daughter was the only girl on her team last year, so she's ecstatic!

I'm happy for her. She even has her bf!

You certainly need to watch the end of Thirty but Seventeen to see how well your son does. You'll be so proud.

You do know that when Halloween rolls around, the Beanies will have to be informed about the assassin shenanigans, right? πŸ”« πŸ˜†

Congrats on your daughter's selection to the math competition! And may you be able to watch those remaining eps of Thirty but Seventeen this weekend! 😊

We may need to hire them to fix some of our K-dramas.

Or to fix my phone company!

*wondering if they're going to be driving a Truck Of Doom*

I'm SO SORRY about your phone issue! I'm sure you can have them on retainer or something. They can't drive yet, so probably not, LOL!

Do assassins care if they have a license? They might not be able to see over the steering wheel. Which makes it a very unpredictable ToD.

Their motto is to kill "with style" and I think they otherwise are law-abiding. So random hits with a TOD may not be their thing? I'll have to ask her when she gets home from school today if they plan on driving any vehicles. I'll get back with you, @ndlessjoie

How about a Limo of Doom then?

@ndlessjoie mugyuljoie, September 21, 2018 at 9:06 AM

Re: "Do assassins care if they have a license? They might not be able to see over the steering wheel."

Ah, the solution to inability to see over the steering wheel is for korfan to donate phone books from the offending service provider -- so uri assassins can drive a cherry picker. LOL! Reach for the sky! Better yet, the young ladies of BOSS could persuade the Wichita Lineman to do the driving for them. See my fan wall. ;-)

@pakalanapikake *laughing*

I'll gladly donate the phone books!! Anything to help our stylish, lethal duo. I can't get rid of those phone books fast enough (especially after today's fiasco with the incompetent, offending service provider)!

@korfan September 22, 2018 at 1:55 AM, cc: @ally-le

Glad you liked my brainstorm. ;-)

"I'll gladly donate the phone books!! Anything to help our stylish, lethal duo."

Yee haw! Uri totally BOSS Deadnamic Duo will now proceed to kill two birds with one stone -- three if you're counting the driver's seat visibility issue. Get rid of the phone books, pull the plug on the phone company, and install environmentally-friendly recycled/recyclable biodegradable booster seats for the driver of the Getaway Cherry Picker Of Doom.

*ponders how to install stylish faux zebra skin seat covers over the phone books*

Note: No faux zebras were harmed in the making of these Ae-shin-approved killer seat covers.

I posted the picture of the business card on my fanwall...

I love it! It's going to be hard to contact them though. They seem to be very undercover. 😎

When there's an ill-will, there's a way, normally.

I keep thinking of Grosse Pointe Blank. They haven't seen that, right? 😯 And the business cards need to be laminated because ... fluids? 😡

You guessed it, @bbstl: Laminate those business cards for three reasons:

1) Because blood prints black on offset. (Old newspaper joke.)

2) To provide your potential clients with a handy tool for jimmying door locks and scraping bubble gum off their shoes -- and a multitude of other uses limited only by one's resourcefulness. This beats the heck out of a boring, non-portable wall calendar imprinted with BOSS's non-existent contact information.

3) For scratching off winning lottery tickets. ;-)

@ally-le,

Have a blast catching up with THIRTY BUT SEVENTEEN. Your son has done something subtle with his hair, and suddenly he looks a tad more mature. I quite can't put my finger on it. ;-)

As for your daughter's new profession, will she be whacking her targets with Hermes scarves?!

Hi Ally,... I also have mr. Sunshine on hold. I am really extremely busy and tired.
But I want to finish watching it. Let's do it together!!! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

There's gonna be yummy candies on Halloween for your daughter, and no of course I'm not her client. *avoid eye contact

πŸ˜‚ I think they’ll make a killing on candy this year!

Hi Everyone! As always, I hope you are all doing well today. ....... Still dealing with my late summer cold. I'm still coughing up a storm now and then, but luckily not as bad as last week!

However, I've had a horrible time dealing with the phone company. I have a landline (yes, they still exist) for which I want to cancel the long-distance service only. I originally called the company last week, and after listening to recorded music for 40 minutes, I got transferred to one of the offshore call centers (I know this because the customer service rep told me where he was located). I told him what I wanted cancelled, three times, he confirmed what service he was processing the cancel order for and told me what my new billed amount will be from now on.

This week I received a letter confirming I called and indicating what was cancelled ---- but it was all wrong!! Letter indicates I told them to cancel our landline maintenance plan! Huh?? When did I say that??! ...... I immediately called again, listened to some more recorded music for what seemed an eternity, and finally reached a live person. I told him what happened and requested that my maintenance plan be reinstated free of charge immediately because it was their error and to cancel the long-distance service, as I had originally requested. I also requested that a supervisor listen to my last phone call (they are recorded unless you ask them not to) in which I made my original request. He apologized, confirmed the reason for my second call and what I wanted cancelled and said a supervisor would most certainly have to listen to the recorded phone call immediately. He also stated his supervisor would call me back in 30 minutes to confirm the changes once again. ...... It's been 4 days and no sign of that promised return phone call. *sigh*

This week:

Thirty But Seventeen - Ok, so now I'm concerned about Chan's ankle.

Your Honor - Jumped back into this one at episode 12. Glad to see that someone told our fake judge that deep down, he's not really a bad person. He really needed to hear that.

Mr. Sunshine - Well things have certainly picked up now, haven't they? ...... And who still thinks this is going to end well?

The Ghost Detective - I like that we're discovering right along with Dae-il what he can and cannot do, and the consequences of both.

Let Me Introduce Her - What's the deal with the female lead's brother possibly knowing who Da-ra is but he can't tell his own sister?? ..... It's a little crazy all over the place with this show, but you can't look away!

That's all for now. Everyone take care and have a great Friday!

Good luck with the landline and with getting rid of the rest of the cold. Still coughing a littler here too.

Thanks! I definitely have to muster all the patience in the world to deal with the phone company because it's a total exercise in frustration. I'd be embarrassed to provide such incompetent customer service. Sadly, this now passes for acceptable on a good day. 😑

Hope your cough goes totally away soon! Definitely take care!

I hope the both of you will get well soon.

I'm going to do the drama marathon and that includes a few episodes of Ghost Detective but i dont mind reading all the spoilers. As for Mr Sunshine, i was surprised but enjoyed the final scenes of ep 22 the fact that Hina helps Ae Shin revenged the death of Seung-gu, what a dynamic duo.. but i cant think of a happy ending for the main characters 😭

@ryunami Thanks!

Enjoy your drama marathon and Ghost Detectvie! It is a little spooky, but see what you think about it!..... I agree with what you've said about the ending of Mr. Sunshine. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it's tragedy all the way around. It would be unfortunate and sad, of course, but given that this story is going to end when the occupation of Korea is expanding with full force, it wouldn't be entirely unexpected. Everyone is definitely in danger.

Happy Friday Beanies!

My ID is Gangnam Beauty was a sleeper hit which I thoroughly enjoyed. Kyung Seok and Mi Rae's hilarious behavior in this initial stage of dating and romance reminded me of myself and my boyfriend. I could totally relate to that scene where she couldn't bring herself to open her mouth too wide to eat that burger and had to finally flatten it.

I started late so my first date was also about Mirae's age. Since we were staying in a hostel, we could only go out over the weekend. My then boyfriend suggested going to church first and afterwards get lunch and go for movie. Because his parents were going to the same service, I felt I had to dress appropriately for the occasion. I am not sure what came over me but I bought the whitest, frilliest dress which look straight out of the set of Little House on Prairie. Without the bonnet of course.

At lunch, we ate at a HongKong noodles restaurant. Boyfriend ordered a large plate of wantons. Like Mirae, I was both too conscious of how I look while eating and too nervous. Boyfriend kept asking if I didn't want any wantons and in the end, the chap had to eat the entire plate of at least 10 wantons himself. I probably ate a few strands of noodles, that's about it.

The movie was a disaster. I committed the gravest 1st date sin. Waking up early and getting ready for the day, the nerves and exhaustion from trying to keep the dress spotless wore me out so much that I fell asleep. Okay, maybe the movie was darn boring, I can't even remember what it was. But the point of a movie date is the company of your partner, isn't it?

To this day, my husband like to tell this joke to my children - I dated a sleeping angel.

What a sweet story, definitely one to be told to any future grandkids!

Aww such a sweet story ❀

@outofthisworld Ya'll are so adorable ❀

This is so romantic, God please bless my single soul

After finishing Nirvana in Fire a few weeks ago, I knew I would need some time to recover, so I read a dumb novel and then I thought I'd pick up WWW Secretary Kim. The leads are so gorgeous, but I just wasn't feeling it. It all felt so trite, including the kidnapping story line. I think it was the NiF effect! Will anything ever be good enough again? πŸ˜‚ Anyway, I dropped Secretary Kim and picked up Mystery Queen, and that is definitely feeling like my speed and is hitting the right notes for me. At least I'm not ruined!

Felt the same about Secretary Kim, which is a shame because I love the leads! The only drama that took me out of slump (and make me excited until the whole series is finished) is Life On Mars.

Mystery Queen is really good - in opposite to Sec Kim, I actually never really liked both leads before this drama - which made watching MQ a nice surprise. Too bad the sequel is below par.

I've seen so much disappointment in MQ2, I'm already planning on skipping it. Life on Mars, however, is definitely high up on my to-watch list. Thanks for the recommendation!

Yup i feel the same about WWWSK but watched it anyway for the sake of a having closure for it (πŸ˜‚ whats wrong with me anywayπŸ˜‚) .. i picked Life On Mars after I loved JKH very much in Prison Playbook and its not a dissapointment at all!

Honestly, I probably would have stuck it out, too, if NiF hadn't put me in Asian drama existential crisis mode. πŸ˜‚ "What is the point of it all if you're not avenging your whole family and your 70,000 betrayed soldier buddies? Why are we even here?!?"

NiF - is it good? The closest to war series ive ever watched was the General and I but it main plot is the love story between the main char

NiF is a stand-out. It's my first mainland Chinese drama, and there don't seem to be enough superlatives to describe it. Though there are scenes of war sprinkled through it, I don't know that I would call it a war drama. At any rate, it's one that stays with you for a long time after watching it. Not from trauma, but for loving the characters. 😊

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

@ryunami I felt the same way about WWWSK but I've lowered my expectations now and picked it up again for like you said, closure. ^_^ LOM however, was exceptional. I loved the out worldly experience, the team, the directing and the story. It's def one of my 2018 top favs!

Ikr Life on Mars one of my best 2018 completed drama

I just finished epi 1 of The Ghost Detective. Really liked what I saw so far, and it's surprisingly well made too. The quality is so contrary with Lovely Horribly which is also another KBS horror drama lol (just watched the latter for first 2 epi by the way). I know both are different, but the latter doesn't even entertaining to watch if it's supposed to be romcom. Devilish Joy on other hand is for my romance dose. Daniel Choi and Choi Jin hyuk are getting more good looking the more I see them. Also planning to watch webdrama A Teen for my filler.

Anyway, now Time has ended, I hope Kim Jung Hyun @ Mori @ Tae swoon is recovering well. I watched this drama for several episodes and loved the chemistry between main leads. Seo Hyun suddenly felt like a different actress - she was good in her role. But I felt too much stress while watching this drama πŸ˜… so I dropped this right after the news about him leaving early.

Hope everyone will have a good weekend!

Welcome back chingu! I was just thinking of you.

I haven't tried Time, just not in a mood for this genre despite my love for Kim Jung Hyun. Glad to hear that Seo Hyun has improved. I could kind of make it out from the stills.

I don't think Time is that good quality wise, but actors really went all out in their performance. Melodrama is so tiring to do compared to romcom. I want Kim Jung hyun to take enough rest and back with a lighter drama next.

I also enjoyed My ID is Gangnam Beauty and love almost all of characters. Mi rae and Kyung seok are ❀ While Soo Ah is undeniably is the most hated character, but I didn't really hate her for unknown reasons. Probably because I found her quite interesting. Kwak Dong yeon sadly is so underused in my opinion, hopefully he will get a better role in his next project. Anyway, hope all of them enjoy their reward vacation - and please everyone has to go, and not just the main leads only. 😬

I enjoyed Woo Young and Kyung Seok's bromance but you are right, Kwak Dong Yeon needs a leading role or a more prominent 2nd lead role.

I was hoping to see him as the leading man for Kim So hyun's new drama but it wasn't meant to be. Maybe in the future.

Glad you enjoyed that first ep of The Ghost Detective! It is quite intriguing and interesting, isn't it?

Good to see you again, by the way! Have a good weekend also!

Yes, I have watched until epi 5 so far. It's intriguing and the villain in here is very intetesting - very manipulating one.

Thank you, it's good to be around here again ❀

@seralovestteobokki, Good to see you again. ;-)

I'm about to watch the final episodes of TIME, which I've enjoyed quite a bit, although I'm not all that keen on melodrama. I wanted to see Kim Jung-hyun in a serious role after his turn in REBEL, and thought he did very well, especially for someone feeling so unwell. Like you, I hope he takes all the time he needs to properly rest and recuperate.

Good to see you again too! ❀ Yes he did very well, even his health condition was noticeable. Hopefully he is resting and recovering well.

Great final episode for Thirty But Seventeen. Overall, a really good drama. One of my favorites of 2018.

I plan to finish watching the final episodes of Familiar Wife and Meteor Garden (2018) today. While Familiar Wife is definitely not a favorite, Ji Sung, as always, kept it watchable. I'm a sucker for the hero "crazy in love" "obsessed with heroine" tropes, so despite its flaws and green actors, Meteor Garden was been a hit for me.

I am also enjoying 100 Days My Prince, as so far I'm finding it a good replacement drama for the hole that will be left with the conclusion of Thirty But Seventeen.

Happy friday, everyone!

.. hectic days for a few weeks already and got a staff meeting in the morning and a project meeting later in the afternoon BUT somehow (with smug face) able to download the later episodes of Ghost Detective, Life, Lovely Horribly and Bleach 2018 live action movie πŸ™ŠπŸ™ˆπŸ˜† ..

I cant handle horror stuff very well and when I thought it was too scary with the ghostly figure of Philip's mom suddenly appeared in front of Kikwang, hanging upside down from the ceiling of Eul Soon's house, The Guest's demonic possessed characters had me reading Wikihow's 3 Ways to Go to Bed After Watching a Horror Movie πŸ˜‚πŸ˜­πŸ˜­

Some Beanies will spend the weekend with their big family; that must be fun and I wish you happiness and good time! It must be great to have many siblings as you grow older coz you can have family gathering!! (nope im not feeling envious there, me just fine being my own sibling πŸ˜πŸ™ˆ)

I didnt spend much time at home during weekend recently because of the marathons and races, and the trips i had to make, but this weekend i will be at home alone in full gear for Korean drama marathon! If i got the time i will read some manga and manhwa which i have followed/read for years.

Have a good weekend, everyone! πŸ‘»

Hi guys!

If you would like to know weekly Prime-time Drama Viewership Ratings like Dramabeans did before, you can click here: https://www.reddit.com/r/KDRAMA/search?q=title:%22Prime-time%20Drama%20Viewership%20Ratings%22&restrict_sr=1&sort=new

Thank you!

Thanks for that!

Hi Everyone and Happy OT!
I'm glad to see that quite a number of us are watching Ghost Detective. I believe it's getting into its groove more now (Episode 5-6) and feels less random. For shippers, it's gonna be a tough choice. Should girl date the cute cop who obviously has the hots for her, or the ghost that stayed on to fulfill his promise to her whom she seems to like. Taking into the equation that one is alive while the other is likely dead should make the choice obvious? Or not!!! For those who want to congregate to comment on the show, you're warmly welcome to drop by at
http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/09/premiere-watch-the-ghost-detective/#comment-3308551 where we may ask questions ad infinitum and try to answer them ourselves!!! πŸ˜‰

And this is definitely a show that causes the viewer to raise questions ..... each episode does that! Which I have to say I kind of like about it.

To all the Beanies who celebrate it, I hope you have a wonderful Chuseok!

Sending virtual moon cake to everyone!

Hi beanies, I hope you are all well. Thank got I ended all watched dramas and only saw half hour of 100 Days, because my laptop broke down. On the bright side, I plan to read and have a trip to a beautiful viticulturist area near Litomerice and see my best friends new baby.
Have a great weekend.

Sorry to hear about your laptop. I do hope it can be repaired.

Do enjoy your trip this weekend!

I do too. Thank you.

It seems that the 2018 Asia Artist Awards are currently up. The awards will be for the most popular Kdrama actors and this will be decided based on our online votes.

The announcement says:
"2018 AAA Fan Ballot The winner will be selected by the 100% vote .
We will select the TOP 50 people for each category through a pre-vote. Vote period: 2018.09.20 10:00 ~ 10.12 17:00 (KST)"

So many good looking K actors to feast our eyes on and only 5 votes per day, I think. I was led there to vote for Ji Chang Wook, but I couldn't resist giving my support to a few other great actors as well. 😎

Have fun voting guys and gals!

Sorry, the vote is also for Singers, Actors and Actresses. The online results with percentage is also displayed!

Who put together the list of actors and why isn't Lee Seon Kyun there? Guy just came off one of the best dramas ever made and he's not worthy for that list? Sheeesh!! Just sad that he is forever under appreciated in Korea and around.

Happy Weekend Beanies!

This week I got the dreaded email from a bad job interview that took place last week. It was a bad way to start the week, because I usually allow myself only one job hunt slump week at a time, and this meant I would have two slump weeks in a row. The fact that I did not have time or energy to watch many shows made it worse. But so far the bad news.

I was allowed to go and fetch my graduation certificate at school, which means I officially obtained my second degree! Then an outplacement center invited me for an assessment next week. I had applied for a job at the government a few weeks ago, but I had never thought that my resume would even get selected. Of course the assessments are hard, so I do not expect much, but I will do my best and be proud that I got this far at least! I feel like a candy who gets allowed into a chaebol hangout spot! :P

I think I am mainly baffled at how things can turn around so quickly. I apologize for nagging again and again about my unemployment, but this is my therapy ;)

To all 30 but 17 Beanies who are going to miss Chan as well, you are invited for a hot cocoa & doughnut night to celebrate Chan’s existence. Marshmallows will be available. ;)

I look at the interview as practice. Examine why it didn't go well and think about what you could improve. It may be that it wouldn't have been a good fit for you anyway and something much better will come along. Hwaiting!

Congratulations on the second degree and the invitation for an assessment! Hwaiting for the assessment too!

Hot choco (I loved the way they said it) with marshmallows sounds perfect.

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Choco does sound a lot cuter, and with fall around the corner, choco time is here as well! :p

Another good song from The evolution of Our Love

I've recommended TOUCH a few times here and reading it now after in 2009 and 2017.
Anime - 101 episodes
3 anime movies
1 Live-Action Movie

I'm showing withdrawal symptoms and only Interested in TOUCH Now.

Anyone who reads manga or watches anime or webtoon or webcomic wanna Join me!!? Join me.

TOUCH is the one that helped me enjoy the feelings of love for the 1st time. It is one of the rarest Love that i respect wholeheartedly.

The heartache, the wobbling of heart, The warmth of feelings.

I was hesitant earlier but after watching I WANT TO EAT YOUR PANCREAS, have enough courage now to face TOUCH.

@frabbycrabsis @rukia @bernadett @sancheezy Kids on The Slope aka Sakamichi no Apollon is now translated
Watch it and let's discuss it tomorrow.

All Japanese dramas put on hold. Japanese trailers on my fanwall.

WOTAKOI manga is getting Live-action adaptation and who is getting the hero role? Kento. why kento?

Arimura Kasumi might not be a beauty in the eyes of many but she always wins my heart.

Waiting for Controversial Chuga Kusei Nikki

Fortuna's Eye trailer - Kamiki Ryunosuke and Arimura Kasumi

Erika Toda used to be quite cute and beautiful but i don't why she looks a bit different
Latest trailer of Latest slice-of-life romance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHJ13_JVFs4

All Kdramas and Chinese dramas dropped.

Time to tag Japanese Media viewers. @kiara @coolgirl @excitable @missjb

Yeah! Some else likes Mitsuru Adachi's Touch! Back in the 80s when Touch aired, I was so into this anime. I bought the DVD set and the anime movies -- though I never watched the live action drama.

Have you read and/or watched Cross Game? There are two sisters. Similar to Touch where the twin brother dies, the sister of the female character also dies.

I started watching Miyuki and H2 years ago, but never got into them. Good luck with your withdrawal symptoms. I know how that feels!

I'm so excited for Kids on the Slope, I adored the anime! Haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but I'll let you know when I do.

Happy Friday Beanies! Hope your days was filled with amazing dramas!

Ashes of Love I am so addicted to this drama. I have watched 50 episodes in less then a week. I keep telling myself to slow down on my watching but I can't! I keep staying up hours past when I should go to sleep watching 'just another episode'. I love the characters and the changes they go through as the drama progresses. Each experiences intense heartbreak and loss and each reacts and handles the pain and loss in different ways. I of course love the main characters but I also love the character of Run Yu. His decent into becoming the jaded antagonist from the gentle and calm person he was is heart wrenching to watch. Even though he ends up becoming the antagonist I still can't help but feel sorry for him and want him to have a happy ending. His character arch and the relationship between him and Xu Feng reminds me a lot of Shunji from Gaksital (which is my favorite kdrama). I've not seen Luo Yunxi in anything before but he is doing a brilliant job of portraying this heartbreaking character. The actions each character takes are very realistic reactions to the love and trials each character endures. The story is very addictive and well told, excellently acted, with some beautiful scenery. I really hope that Xu Feng and Jin Mi can finally have the love and relationship their predecessors were denied.

Love O2O This is a cute little rom-com. I'm not too far into it but I really like the main girl, and being a big gamer myself and into MMORPGs, I really relate. However, I'm not a fan of the main guy. His character type is that stoic, cold and elusive type which 95% of the time I don't like. I know that character trope is popular with people but it's not my cup of tea. I'm still enjoying the drama as it's a unique rom-com with the blending of the real world and MMO world and it is cute so far. I just think if I were more interested in the main guy it would be even more enjoyable for me.

About Ashes of Love,.. Are you me? Lols.. I was addicted to that drama too, binge watching. I even read the novel online. I dont like to read, but if I like a drama and it's based on a novel, I will read it. The last one I read was TMOPB. I love Deng Lun's voice on AoL, I'm so glad they didn't dub his voice. Ren Yu is such a pitiful character, just can't hate him. We all understand whats going on with him.

The only thing I've seen Deng Lun in before this was Princess Agents, where he was only a special guest in the drama. But his character was totally different in that, and before I saw the drama I couldn't see past that character and kept thinking it wouldn't be a good fit. But the moment I watched the drama I could see he was going to be great in it (and I wasn't wrong!). That was his actual voice though? I know he also sung one of the songs in the drama and has an amazing singing voice also (I loved the music).

The truth is at first, I decided not to watch the series because of excess naiveness of the Jin Mi character
(other reasons are chinese series are too long and too much CGI in fantasy dramas).
But too much noise on mydramalist drew me in and I thought watching one or two won't make me waste my time ; so why not..
But I got addicted , and going to the end.
Ashes reminds me of many things , early Winter Sonata series( half sister misunderstanding and returning as his brother fiancee) , Princess's man and Gakistal which are all my favorites . I know WS is too angst but it was my early additction.
Their first meeting is cute as that couple from Moonlight drawn by clouds too.

I think Yang Zi played all diversities of Jin mi's character.

She and Deng Lun are so cute in BTS .

They are really the best friends since the days of Siege in fog: Deng lun's continous teasing to Yang Zi just to get hit by her. Ha ha
This is like the friendship between us and our male friends in our friend group.

I completely forgot I made an account on dramabeans?!! πŸ˜‚
I always lurk around these sites like youtube never commenting on stuff😭 My anti-social a** needs to make more Kdrama loving friends!!❀️❀️

:D Welcome (back)!!

Thank you!!! Must have logged off at some point and never thought about it!😭 Which is so weird since I never leave this websiteπŸ˜‚

Hehehe! I lurked for so long before I got an account, but I frequent it so often (and my login is on a keychain) that I haven't had the chance to forget, yet. It'd probably be good if I did, at some point. Better for my RL. XD

Hi all, first time commenting here.
Have a great weekend.

Welcome!

Welcome and have a great weekend also!

Thanks

Watching Missing Nine this week with very very low expectations because of the reviews, but surprisingly, the first few episodes are really good. It's new, engaging, and the ensemble of actors are all doing well.
For some reasons things start to slow when the murder plot thickens, I like my suspense dramas but each episodes became "who will Choi Tae Ho killed this week" and like, I just don't want to see him becomes the focus of the drama. I don't know if it's because of the actor's lack of charisma or I just preferred the comedic aspects that was quite strong before. Or maybe I just want the show to focus on Jung Kyung Ho and him doing hillarious stints (the scene when he stepped on land mine, that was gold!)

Also casually watching Let's Eat 3 and the second lead pairing annoys the heck out of me. Lee Seo Yeon is an entitled brat (granted, her childhood story is just so so sad) but Sun Woo Sun is the worst, he treats everyone like dirt especially the girl he likes and he's confused on why she can't like her back. I still have few episodes left so I don't know if they will got together or not but honestly, I don't care, please just get off the screen time and gimme more food porn.

I actually liked Missing 9. It had this weird comedy/thriller vibe that I liked and enjoyed until the end where I was like huh?! But the rest, I quite liked.

The only Jung Kyung Ho drama that I watched was Missing 9 and to be honest, I rather the island scenes getting longer and having the story running like The Hunger Games rather than all of them survived and Tae Ho being in killing spree. Plus the ending didn't make sense at all. But I acknowledged Jung Kyung Ho as a great actor.

Hello everyone! It's my first time in the OT. I am sick at home today so I finally have some time!
I'm actually looking for a new drama but am quite the difficult viewer lol
What have been your favorite dramas this year (and every year)?
I just was that Thirty but seventeen ended but I don't really like age difference romances (mentally and physically), so is it still worth a shot?

I think it's worth it. It gets better with each episode. The mental age gap closing is part of the journey.

It depends on what you like. My favorites recently were Just Between Lovers, My Ajusshi and Mother. None of them were lighthearted though.

That sounds promising

My Ajusshi is up there on my list! But I just binged Circle a week ago and it was so dark that I couldn't get out of that state of mind for a couple of days.