Open Thread #574

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Well, DF has done it. It’s sudden stoppage has spurred me to I my first OT post ever! Even though I’ve been missing here for a while, when I saw the news my first thought was “What will the beanies say!?!”
The worst part of this for me is no more Devilish Joy! It’s so so good. I couldn’t believe it hasn’t been discussed more on here. I was so hoping for full recaps when I started watching it, because it completes the whole drama watching process for me.
The timing is terrible! There were only four more episodes left! You know those crazy important antagonist conflicts get wrapped up-and then the resolution of the OTP (hopefully happily ever after) episodes??
Does anyone know of someone who’s been recapping it? I have tried to watch it raw, but I am missing so much delicious detail. ☹️
DF you stink!

I am so sad drama fever was how I got into this. I dont know where I will finish watching terius.

Terius is on Kocowa. I am waiting for my DramaFever annual subscription refund (I just paid at the end of July I better get a refund) and then I guess I'll get a Kocowa sub. But, I'm pissed because Viki advertised their expanded tier as having ALL the Kocowa stuff and they actually don't. So I feel like I'm paying double doing that. Honestly if Kocowa steps up their streaming game I'd consider dumping Viki too but I think KC is only watching on your computer or phone app, and not on Roku or smart TVs... yet.

"Terius is on Kocowa."
Thank god for that.

Not on AppleTV either

While Kocowa does not yet have an app for Apple TV, they do allow you to use Airplay to play it on your TV that way.

Kocowa started this whole licensing war. I’m still resentful. I don’t want to pay their service directly because 1) the app sucks and 2) it will only spend up the death of viki. It’s almost certain that once they establish their subscription base they will pull the licenses from viki again.

I'm also worried about what will happen to Viki. Kocowa only covers the big three networks, but TVN is missing as is JTBC.

Og my gosh, I did not think of that!

I'm afraid you're right on this one.
And - downstream - doing this gives the networks a stranglehold on content production.
Greedy, greedy, greedy.

I never thought I'd say this, but if they do a power-play to put Viki out of business, then the only leverage against them would be for the majority of the fanbase to resolutely watch on illegal sites until they stop the monopoly.

I agree. I think once they get a Roku app, Kocowa will ditch Viki.

Viki has a ROKU app, Kocowa does not. So I will not be subscribing to Kocowa just for one additional show that Viki does not have. There are other sources, though not licensed.

Kocowa says they'll be on Roku soon. But I've not been happy with their dramas lately, they're pretty much nothing new or different. Wish the cable shows were more available.

And all seem to be missing a lot of the movies and nearly all Japanese dramas.

Can I ask where you live? I'm in New York and after a slight break down I upgraded my viki subscription to include Kocowa but it's not available in my region.... fail

You can watch Terius on Kocowa. But not Devilish Joy or 100 Days My Prince which were 2/3 through on Dramfever.

I knew the first comments today would be about DF. R.I.P. I'm so sad. It wasn't my only source of kdramas, but it was my first and recently they had so many of the new airing shows. I'm also dying to find subbed eps of Devilish Joy. I really love the sweet couple at its core and want to see everything end up well for them!

Apparently K-Plus Asia is subbing it (for Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia users).
I take my subs from subscene when I can't use VIU, so you can do that too...

I am not watching Devilish Joy. However, since DramaFever is the only one subbing it, I tried to rip subtitles by K-Plus Asia from AstroGo and upload on Subscene.

I'll miss DramaFever too I think it's demise is the inevitable fallout from Netflix and Amazon Prime picking up so many kdramas.

We still have Viki, and I just finished "Let me Introduce Her". It is excellent from beginning to end. I highly recommend this Mystery, suspense, romance.

It's more because AT&T bought Warner. I think DF took a hit from the licensing shenanigans and was not "clearly very profitable" but probably not operating at a loss. It's the result of new corporate wanting to clean house a bit. They're planning to do their own streaming service focused on WB properties and probably weren't very interested in secondary licensing foreign media. (DF had some European titles too, remember.)

But Warner says their new service will not up up for at least another 16 months.

That's how these big companies work. They just acquired all these new subsidiaries and they look at them and say "Uh this one is only barely profitable, kill it now we have more important things to deal with. We'll keep their streaming engineers to help with the new service next year. Whatever."

I thought amazon prime piggybacks off DramaFever. Amazon has vod Kmovies but I haven’t seen any kdrama that’s not part of the DramaFever addon — but I really haven’t looked carefully.

I think it really has more to do with Kocowa. Viki passes the cost to premium payers to keep operating but DramaFever didn’t.

And if you were not already subscribed to the DF channel on Prime Video, you can not get to that content any more

You cant get it now. There is a message; This title is currently unavailable
Our agreements with the content provider don’t allow purchases of this title at this time. Agioo

Amazon has some of it's own k-drama, but most were piggybacking from DramaFever. NetFlix has quite a few, but not all.

Amazon using DF. The Korean dramas and Chinese dramas are from DF.

@janezelda,

Thanks for your comments on LET ME INTRODUCE HER. I've been itching to see Jo Hyun-jae onscreen, and somehow this one sneaked past me. Oh, right, I've been up to my eyeballs in other shows. Well, now I can marathon it when I get a break in my live-watching. Glad to know that Viki has it. ;-)

I am currently watching Devilish Joy on kseries.com but it takes time before sub is released

I’m so sad even though I ended my subscription earlier this year. I was contemplating picking it back up to marathon My Ajusshi and watch a few other things I had missed. :(

There were several months were DramaFever looked like it might have to shut down because it simply didn't have any new content. They seemed to be scrambling just to get a Chinese drama or two or 1 show from JTBC or whatever; but then they started getting shoes again. It's shocking they would close when they finally got a really good amount of shows licensed.

I think the problem was they were not charging enough and relying too much on ads - which were not paying off. I would be willing to pay $10-15 a month for a GOOD single source Asian drama with subs site/app, but right now the entire genre seems to be in turmoil.

Posting this as high as I can so hopefully everyone can see it-

Viki is offering a 30% discount on annual Viki Pass Standard subscriptions - go to Twitter and search on @Viki

Something is happening with OnDemandKorea - they posted a notice yesterday that they were acquiring a whole bunch of subbed KDramas and would be launching them soon. You can go to their website and submit your email if you would like notification when this happens.

You can watch episodes of completed DramaFever shows on VRV (United States only), at least for the time being. Without a subscription, you will see ads about every 5 minutes or so. VRV is another streaming service owned by Warner Bros, so I definitely won't recommend gettin an annual membership there! In fact, if I was a loyal VRV or CrunchyRoll subscriber, I'd be very wary of Warner' future plans for those platforms, too.

It may be a good idea for folks to contact VRV at their social media sites in order to find out just how long they willl have the DramaFever content.

There is also a "Bring DramaFever Back" petition at Change.org. While I'm not crazy about the wording, and doubt that Warner Brothers would even remotely consider it, I encourage everyone to sign it as a sign of how many people are unhappy with the decision, and of the demand for this content.​

Didn't you read the latest about Cruncyroll? Since I don't watch anime I didn't pay attention to detail. But this is happening everywhere, if you're in a minority niche and the big corporations aren't making enough profit they'll drop it in a heartbeat. Hulu dropped over 230 kdramas awhile back to add crappy U.S. made shows.

"ohlalalalaaaaaa," I actually moaned, holding face anxiously... this is truly the end of an era. DramaFever and Crunchyroll?!?!? ... this is sad...

The only thing l have heard about Crunchyroll in recent days is that their agreement with Funimation has ended

To be fair to Hulu dropping K-dramas had nothing to do with adding U.S shows. First, Hulu's k-dramas were through DramaFever. That relationship ended. Second, Hulu is owned by NBC, Fox (which Disney now owns), Disney and another company I can't remember off the top of my head. They got smart and stopped all exclusive deals with Netflix so they could stream their own content. Which is why Netflix has pushed so hard to get their own original content because in another few years Netflix won't have access to A LOT of shows.

If possible, can you post the link to sign up to their email? I went to their site but I don't see it, I only see their cancelled programs.

Never mind! I found it on a comment below.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is VRV?

According to VRV Customer Service, the DramaFever channel will end on November 1st.

So where are all the legal sites that everyone is using now? Can we come up with a list of alternatives?

There are not that many. For some dramas, such as Terius, Kocowa is the only legal one. And they want $8 a month just for a crappy phone app and no smart TV/ROKU/AppleTV app.

I would sign up for Kocowa except I use the Amazon Firestick or a PS4/Smart TV and it isn't supported by anything I use :| So there is no point for me to pay all that money for something I can't really use conveniently.

Did Kocowa raise their price? I pay $6 a month.

Here's a list of legal streaming sites for Asian dramas. Not all sites are available worldwide, so you will need to go to the site to see if it is available in your country and what dramas are available to you, since it varies.
Viki
Kocowa
OnDemandKorea
Netflix
Amazon
VIU
Asiancrush-this site is mainly films, but it has a few dramas as well

There’s also Tubi TV, but they have limited selection (40 when I checked yesterday and most are old/ classic shows). I suspect they get some of their content from DF as well because they have some shows that were exclusive to DF, and only 5 episodes of those. They do have complete seasons of most of the shows though. I am currently watching The Legendary Witch there.

They are ad supported, and are mainly available in US and Canada but I like their app a lot - very nicely organized. They have the usual Hollywood selections (lots of B movies, Classic movies and TV shows) but they also have British TV, and Chinese TV as well (not a good selection I’m afraid) and other foreign language movies. Plus, they are available on Apple TV. :)

I am not going to subscribe to Kocowa until they get an Apple TV app and have better customer service. I sent a tech support ticket days ago for my iOS app and haven’t received feedback yet.

I subscribe to Viki standard but I don’t like their app much. Maybe their android versions are better but their Apple TV and iOS versions doesn’t retain watch history which is very annoying. I do like that their subbers translate song lyrics of background music though. :)

OnDemandKorea might be interesting. I registered with them to be notified once they have their subbed library up in full - registering also gets you 2 free months (once the subbed library is in). I don’t mind paying as long as the viewing experience is good. And they have an Apple TV app.

I do miss Dramafever’s selection of Chinese and Japanese shows too though. While I adore K-drama, I like watching other types of Asian dramas too. I can watch my J dramas on Crunchyroll and Netflix, I guess, but C-dramas will have to come from Netflix.

I am surprised at the mention of Amazon having K dramas. I guess that’s limited to US? I have a Prime subscription but I don’t see any Asian TV shows on my Amazon Prime app. There’s some Korean movies but no TV shows.

If OnDemand actually has subbed dramas I will consider subscribing, but when I looked just a few minutes ago I saw very little that was subbed, and all of those older ones, nothing new.

(Free) On Demand Korea doesn’t have Eng subs for a some of K shows I checked such as I Live Alone or Third Charm , I wonder if there are eng subs with a membership?
Also Viki with kokowa is 8.99/ month , but not sure I want to do that...

OnDemandKorea is supposed to get more subbed dramas. The ones they currently have will not be the full library. They will notify those who register with them when more subbed dramas are available. They are also offering two free months of their premium service if you register to be notified

Thanks jennee, I registered so we'll see !

I'm probably the only one who is still bitter over DF's part in shutting down most of the streaming sites and fan sites back then.
I get their legal rights and all that but we had a thriving K-drama communities with people who contributed with valuable informations for us non Koreans.
They even threatened DB over screencaps for Level 7 Civil Service.

I won't miss them one bit like I do with WITH S2, Mysoju, Dramacrazy, AznTv, DarkSmurf, MrX's Vault of Doom and Dramatic Eye, Thundie's Prattle, Dahee's Castle etc.

Shoot me!

I agree. I still remember people being angry with DF for shutting down other popular sites. I am fine with this since I don't watch in DF. (call me selfish)

I remember that, but they didn't just do it back in the day. They also did it with Goblin recently. We (at Drama Milk) have gotten cease and desist orders from Google from an outside party that I assumed was Dramafever. But when we told them we weren't an illegal streaming site they put on their whitelist.

It does feel a bit like karma. It is more of a shock because of the suddenness.

Thank you so much for the live recaps!
I've been following 100 DAYS PRINCE and I really appreciate you guys <3.

So happy to hear it and that you are reading the recaps for that show! I love that show!!!!!

No, you're not the only one who remembers DF ruthlessly shutting people down, including when they came after Dramabeans for Level 7 Civil Servant (and DB's memorable response). I thought DF hung the moon before that and forever regarded them with a gimlet eye afterwards. It makes me sick to think I will probably end up paying for whatever new thing they offer w Asian content at the end of 2019, as much as I hate ATT/WB today.

So look for alternative sites. Because they will exist. ATT/WB are Goliath in a world that is constantly creating Davids.

Yes, the Goliaths who provide service on Roku and smartTV that is the luxury which will defeat my principles 🙁

I too miss all those old sites! I liked dramafever when it first started. But it seemed to change when it got bought out. And I don't appreciate corporate bullying.
Hope I don't need to find a replacement for my kdrama addiction.... that would be painful. :(

You're not alone, @kiara. I remember when DramaFever was throwing its weight around early in my Kdrama days (circa 2013). It seems that what went around has come back to roost.

Thank you for including that link to DB's alternative screencaps for LEVEL 7 CIVIL SERVANT. Unreal life imitating art. Or vice versa. Only in Kdramaland.

I am bitter..I feel abandoned. I don't like sites with creepy adds

Mysoju! Seriously missing the time when I watched Coffee Prince repeatedly on their site back in 2009 and 2010! T_T

I am going to miss DF. I have been watching it since it started in beta. I am not a typical viewer of kdrama being male and older. DF wasn't all fangirl like Viki.
DF was a leader in the cord cutting movement. What most people don't realize that as pioneers, they had to develop the technology for streaming video like it is today. I know the horror streaming service Shudder used the technology developed by DF. This why Time Warner probably bought DF. This tech is being used for their DC Universe and future WB service. It is quite common for a large company to by a small tech company just for its assets and shut it down. Apple and Google do it all the time.
What ticks me off is that WB/ATT had a major hit with Crazy Rich Asians ( making over 171 million dollars) and have plans to do sequels and they still shut down DF.

Now that’s ironic — cue Alanis Morrisette’s “Ironic.”

*snorts* . Cutting off your nose to spite your face, my grandmother called that 🙄

Your grandmother was right- and this will not end well for ATT/Warner.

This is exactly why Warner Bros bought DramaFever. They even said so when they bought it.

I don't subscribe to viki or DF. Roku has viki app though. I download asian dramas from websites to my portable hard drive and plug it on the roku device.

Ah, great idea!

This is an informative article on digiday.com- “This ia a big boy’s game now: DramaFever is a casualty of the big-money OTT war”. I apologize for not knowing now to set up a link.

I read that article. Very illuminating.

I read this too. It makes total sense but that doesn't make it easier to accept.

@kbaswithneko, @bbstl,

Thanks for that article and its link. Very interesting.

Hi @pakalanapikake. Yes. The best thing about the shut down that I have read so far.

I don't know about Devilish Joy, but I have been able to find 100 Days my Prince on You Tube with english subs, on two different channels. Both have eps 11 & 12, broken up into 5-7 parts each. But watch them quick before the evil overlords force them to take them down!

For me, in K-ent news, The East Light situation has been even bigger than dramafever (since I don't use dramafever). This is not a typical case of kpop abuse like starvation, being overworked etc. These kids were physically and violently beaten, beaten with baseball bats, choked with guitar strings, someone's arm was broken, someone's head was bleeding - all this for THREE years. I am horrified and heartbroken. That producer and CEO and possibly others need to see some jail time.

And the worst part is that they were 15 when it all started...
Only case close to this that I can recall is the abuse of Kim Jong Kook by his previous CEO (ironically CEO of C-JeS, Baek Changjoo & MBK's Kim Kwangsoo)... Which goes to show you what people in positions of power can get away from..

They were treated as cattle in industrial farms.
I can only admire their courage: it's not easy to gather enough strentgh and report the abusers.

I wonder how many young talents in K-ent are still in silence submitted to violence and exploitation, unable to raise their voices.
Considering the numbers of scandals, laws should be voted/reinforced to protect them better. But is there enough concern for them to fight an industry so powerful?

Also, you just know that it probably wasn't the first time that this producer behaved like that and that the CEO covered it up. There will probably be more kids coming forward.

I'm so sad for them. But I hope it will help them to know that they had the courage to step forward and bring this into the open.

I hope more kids will come forward. Now is the time, when BTS is generating international interest in kpop. At some point the government will be embarrassed enough to do something about it. I just feel bad that a fricking 18-year-old had to be the one to speak out about it first.

When I read things like this, I wonder what's the root cause? Why is it so prevalent in K-ent? Does this happen elsewhere? Sexual harassment and the likes are the most common abuses in entertainment industry everywhere but slavery, starvation and physical torture not so. At least from what I gather from the media.

Yes. This seems extreme even by K-ent standards. It was a case of abuse, not I think, connected to any industry. They are kids. The CEO & Producer had complete power over them.

I just read up on this situation a little while ago after I started reading some of the Beanie posts. The whole situation is just awful!! You want to believe that people would never act like this, but then you read stories such as this one which reveal these horrible truths.

How big is that company?
How could this be hushed for so long?
What about other groups/idols?
Why were
they supposed to buy their instruments etc. alone?
I have so many questions and am so pissed about this situation.

Their company is pretty small. They have some older artists like Clon and DJ Koo who are midfle aged and were popular in the 90's (I think).
The kids couldn't tell anyone because the PD threatened to kill them.
They don't have other young groups at this company but I am worried about other artists at other companies. Seokchul, the drummer and leader of TheEastLight, said that he wanted to help put an end to child abuse in kpop by coming forward.

Thanks for the info, @raonah. They are so brave, it must have been terrifying.

Thanks for letting us know about this situation. I am not into K-pop per se (although since I live In NYC I was aware that BTS was recently in town!) and this is the first I have heard of THE EAST LIGHT. It is important that abuse be exposed.

I did not know about this not being as into k-pop. Thank you for getting the information out there.

Somehow I assumed such things has been happening in that side of world. Hope more come forward and people involved get punished.

If you want to help, here is the Blue House petition:

Scroll down to the empty text box, click on it. It will take you to the page where you can authorize your SNS (Facebook, Twitter, Naver) account. That brings you back to the first page. Scroll down and click on the blue button next to the text box. Done. They need to get to 200,000 signatures.

If only i could read it before signing.

I knew I should have started learning Korean,,,,

My other question with this is whether they take into account signatures of non-citizens. If not, are we possibly diluting the power of the Petition since it may be unclear how many signatures are foreign and how many Korean?

If you open the link in Chrome, it will ask you if you want the page translated, or you can copy-paste it into google translate, which does a decent job of it. As far as I can tell, it simply states what happened and is bringing it to the attention of the Blue House. I think if it gets 200,000 signatures the Blue House has to respond to it. I would guess that if they can tell who signed it in terms of citizen/international, it would only serve to make it stronger since Korea is very proud of the international reputation of Kpop and would not want anything to diminish it.

Awesome. Thanks for the clarification re citizens vs international peeps.
I did read the translated version, it's a decent enough translation.

I personally volunteer to assist in the prosecution.

Thanks for posting about this here greenie! I meant to but I've been so upset about the whole situation I forgot to actually do it.

Yup..I'm talking about it everywhere. I want this to gain attention, and I want the boys to have support.

@gledis-sotiri @coolgirl @cloggie @blnmom @outofthisworld @korfan @allphryne @marcusnyc20 @jozie @fanwho @ally-le @oldlawyer
Thanks for your concern about TheEastLight kids. They are one of my favorite groups and to hear that they've suffered like this is heartbreaking 😥
Here's a link to a tutorial on how to sign the petition to bring this to the president's attention. If we get 200,000 signatures, he has to respond.
If you want to translate any of it, I recommend naver's translating site: https://papago.naver.com

Good on you for spreading the petition. I signed it since the first day when they spread the link on Twitter.
I'm kinda becoming a pro at petitions lately :)

Thanks for signing!

Happy weekend everyone!! this week passed by as usual. I watched Spirited Away two years ago, though i loved it, i've never had the urge to follow other Ghilbi movies as well. This week, i watched Whisper of The Heart, which was super innocent, pure and inspiring at the same time. The movie was released in 1997, but it's content is so timeless and relevant to all ages. I, myself, is a woman who has not been sure about my decision on my career. I think that's why the movie relates me so much although the movie shows the life of middle school students. The content of it is so different from what i normally watch so i was surprised. I've also started Mr. Sunshine this week. I don't know why it's not as popular as other Kim Eun Sook dramas. I'm only in the early stage of the drama, but i think this is by far the most promising start, plot-wise. But i have to give in for the age difference between Lee Byung Hun and Kim Taeri, no matter how they also had some age difference in the plot, too. But you have Yoo Yeon Suk and Byun Yo Han and Kim Taeri for her drama debut, of course. I was right for starting the drama after a year without watching dramas. So, that's my recap for the week, beanies!! Happy weekend again.

What a coincidence! I’ve been raking my brain lately because I couldn’t remember the name of the film I’ve watched years ago that warmed my heart. It’s Whisper of the Heart! Finally, I know now 🙂 I need to rewatch it again as an adult... see how differently I’ll perceive it.

I'm glad i've written something in OT this week for such a conincidence. I wish that you'll find something valuable in the movie this time, too. Enjoy!!

I continue to enjoy "Terius Behind Me" which overall is light low angst drama.

I haven't yet watch this week's episodes of 100 Days My Prince due to comments on the fanwall that indicate it has hit the high angst phase. I'm may try to hold off watching the remaining episodes until all of the drama is fully subbed. MyDramaList shows this as a 16 episode drama, which I hope is correct.

I also continue to slowly work my way through the Chinese drama "Heavy Sweetness, Ash-like Frost" and the Thai drama "Jao Sao Jom Yom/Unwilling Wife." I'm enjoying both. Jao Sao Jom Yom has a super nice hero who is gently wooing the heroine (which is always a welcome change for the usual cold hero).

I absolutely loved Ashes of Love. I was obsessed with that drama and watched all 60 episodes in less then a week.

100 Days my Prince and Terius Behind Me are next on my list to watch but I need to find a place to watch them now that my go-to DramaFever shut down.

Terius is on Kocowa- but 100 days my Prince is not- and Viki has neither

100 Days My Prince (there titled 100 days my Husband) will be available soon on OnDemand Korea, which will be offering a two month free trial.

@tazmania TAS-Mania,

Re: 100 DAYS MY PRINCE

The inevitable separation has occurred, but I'm on the edge of my seat to see how everything shakes out. Mercifully, there is no Noble Idiocy, if that helps.

The 16 episodes include a special that aired before the first episode premiered. Episode 15 is the final one, per discussion in the recap threads, so there's only 3 more to go after this week.

I, too, am enjoying TERIUS BEHIND ME. The twins are so doggone cute, especially when putting Secret Agent Man through his paces. ;-)

I really like 100 Days My Prince but don't want to watch the angsty parts and then have to wait for the resolution (especially if they don't resolve everything until the last episode) but I am having a hard time putting off watching episodes 11 & 12 (on a positive only a couple of days until the next episode airs). Kinda surprised that the drama is only 15 episodes long but I guess that means one episode sooner for wrap up of the storylines. I wonder if the heroine's brother and the Crown Princess will survive. I'd like for the brother to survive but kinda indifferent to the Crown Princess.

Hi Everyone! I hope you are all doing well today.

What a week regarding news. First the shutting down of Dramafever. It's unfortunate that the shutdown caught many viewers half-way through watching shows and are now left hanging, many without viable viewing options.

I also just read up on this whole situation with East Light, courtesy of fellow Beanies. OMG!! It's just terrible!! What a completely unacceptable situation. There are almost no words. No one should have to go through that ever!! I commend the guys for stepping forward and telling the world what happened.

The Ghost Detective - I wouldn't be surprised if things don't end on a positive note ....... but I'm thinking a sad ending would kind of work.

My Secret Terrius - I haven't watched this week's episodes yet! Oh no! I have to catch up!!

Let Me Introduce Her - Finally finished this. It may sound awful, but I kind of wanted the anchor guy to jump off that building. He is a terrible person.

Matrimonial Chaos - When Yoo-young's husband, Jang-hyun, was helping a drunk Seok-mu back home and Seok-mu was figuring out excuses to tell of why he was drunk, Jang-hyun countered that the excuses didn't sound sincere. Seok-mu asked him what was up with him saying that and Jang-hyun answered, "It's because I can't lie." ....... Really???? The guys who's having extramarital relationships??

Player - Surprised we got a sad and serious backstory on one of the team's characters. Loved that they're pulling together and helping each other out more!

Room No. 9 - Ooooo, someone decided to execute a "Godfather" move! They're not messing around.

That's all for now. Everyone take care and have a great Friday!

Have a good Friday @korfan!

Thanks!

Hi @korfan, I am a bit envous about the amount of shows you manage to watch. But your update is always valueable.
I guess Ghost Detective will work for me anyway, I just don't want Daniel Choi's character to become an evil spirit.

Hi @allphryne! Aww, you're too kind. I appreciate your comment. :) I don't always get the chance to view this many shows. I often have time constraints, but I try to squeeze in dramas where I can! As I'm writing this, I'm also watching My Secret Terrius because I didn't get to the episodes earlier! As much as I want to catch some of the other shows Beanies are raving about, I can't fit another one on the schedule. It's the constant Beanie dilemma!

Regarding Daniel Choi's character, I know! We want good things for him!

Re: Matrimonial Chaos, is it me or did it seem like Yoo-young's husband didn't seem to understand when "Stone" confronted him about his mistresses?

@jenmole It's a good question. From their brief exchange we saw, it appeared to me that Yoo-young did understand Stone's question. In fact, I believe Yoo-young said, "Oh that. I just don't tell her." ....... Truly an extraordinary answer on Yoo-young's part. For him, in his mind, if he doesn't broach the subject of his infidelity then he frees himself from being in the position of possibly having to lie so he omits instead. He clearly knew what Stone was asking him about.

I'll go back to re-watch that scene. This is what happens when I try to multitask (getting ready for work and watching a show ).

@jenmole Oh, I know what you mean! Happens to me all the time! I swear, I always end up turning around or walking out at the most important part of the episode! Often, that 10-second rewind button is my best friend. Lol!

Let Me Introduce Her - At least Jo Hyun-jae who played anchor guy hated his character. He said that he was hesitant but took the role with persuasion from his wife. I am glad he had a chance to play a villain role.

@fanwho Oh interesting. I can understand why he would be a bit reluctant about taking the part. The character was just not a likeable guy. However, it's always good for an actor to have experience in a variety of roles. It certainly changes things up both for the actor and the viewer!

@fanwho fan,

Thank you so much for mentioning that Jo Hyun-jae was in LET ME INTRODUCE HER. I had no idea he'd been cast in anything since his cameo in HOSPITAL SHIP. Before that, he played a truly evil chaebol heir in YONG PAL. Here's hoping to see him in a sageuk again. JHJ is my archetypal Seja from THE KING'S DAUGHTER, SOO BAEK HYANG. ;-)

As for LET ME INTRODUCE HER, a bunch of my fave actors are in the cast: Messrs. Kim Jae-won and Kim Roe-ha, and Mesdames Lee Mi-sook and Kim Jung-young.

You made my day with this bit of news. <3 ;-)

I, too, am lamenting the loss of DF and the show's I will never be able to finish (farewell 100 Days My Prince, Devilsh Joy, Terius).
I don't have Amazon Prime so I can't comment on the Kdrama content they hold but, for me, Netflix is a poor substitute for DF. Other than some newer releases, i.e., Prison Playbook, Live, Mr. Sunshine, etc., the dramas offered are not that great. Netflix also does a poor job in updating their Kdrama content in a timely manner.
It looks as though Viki will be gaining a new subscriber this weekend (I just wish they would offer a Welcome to Viki special for former DF subscribers 😬).

You might want to wait a few days to see if Viki does do some kind of promo...

The folks at Dramacurrent spoke to Viki and Viki is offering a special:

Sorry for repeating what you included in your posts, bbstl. I was composing in another app while you were posting!

That's great that's you got everything posted all together like that and under #1, esp including the petition! And thanks for the informative and helpful comments you made on Tuesday 👍🏼

30% off of an annual subscription

Thanks to @amilia, we have notice that the legal site On Demand Korea is picking up "lots of new shows" with subs and offering a free two-month introductory subscription:

From the illustrations, it really looks like they're picking up the Dramafever shows. 🤞🏽

Looks like On Demand Korea only has web and phone apps, no smart TV such as ROKU or Apple TV. Also looks like a lot of the content is PPV even with a sub.

Correction, looks like ODK does have a ROKU channel, just not public - you have to sign up for it. Will give it a try later and see how well it works and what is available.