Rating:
Average user rating 4.7

A Piece of Your Mind: Episodes 11-12 Open Thread (Final)

It’s the finale week of A Piece of Your Mind, and I don’t know if I’m crying so hard because it’s over, or because the concluding episodes were just so touching and beautiful. Our conclusion is all about closure, and though each character is on a different path to get there, they all arrive right where they need to be by the end of our tale.

EPISODES 11-12 WEECAP

It took me hours to get through our finale episodes this week. They’re almost too beautiful to watch, and I wasn’t ready for the story to be over. But now that it is, I’m happy to have a place to talk about how A Piece of Your Mind has managed to bring this story together with just the right amount of conflict, drama, subtlety, metaphor, and magic.

Last week the long-coming confrontation between Ha Won and In-wook was stopped by Soon-ho, who asked him for a little more time before the rupture that’s destined to come. When that confrontation does happen, though, it’s in a way that only A Piece of Your Mind could dream up, bringing all the fragments, pieces, and halves of our story together.

In a rather bold move, Won rents out the whole of the auditorium for In-wook’s inaugural recital and turns it into an interrogation of sorts. It’s so fitting that Seo-woo and Soon-ho are both in the sound booth, not only hearing everything, but struggling with their own emotions and the sides they’ve taken. It’s an intense scene between Ha Won and In-wook, who have been vying with each other’s presence for years in such different ways.

Things don’t come to a head until the second confrontation, though, and this time Won really gets riled up. It’s ugly, but it kind of needs to be, and so many years of anguish are packed into this scene. Won is heartbroken over the cause of his mother’s death, but also angry that In-wook suggested to Seo-woo that no one can come between Ha Won and Ji-soo. And that is actually In-wook’s main source of heartbreak — first, the guilt over what he said to Won’s mother, but mostly the feeling that Ji-soo always had Won in her heart instead of him.

There’s so much heartache from all of our characters throughout this story, but it somehow transcends all that sadness and is about each of them finding closure. And each character’s path to that closure is as unique as they are.

Ha Won received the love he needed so desperately from Seo-woo, and he was able to say goodbye to both his mother and Ji-soo. In the end, the greatest thing he did for Ji-soo was letting her go — and a big part of that meant revealing Ji-soo’s heart to her husband.

Though the Won/In-wook confrontation is intense and upsetting, it’s also healing. Won leaves a letter for In-wook to read, and it turns out to be the last of many letters Ji-soo wrote. She says that she wants to comfort her husband — and it’s exactly what In-wook needed for his healing to take place. His wife loved and cherished him. She forgave him for what he did in the past and was determined to support him. That letter seemed like a gift from Won to In-wook, and even in the face of their antagonism, I love that they were crucial players in each other’s healing process. It’s a rough road, but as Ha Won says to Seo-woo, “It’s good for everyone.”

This drama is beautiful because it makes you root for these characters to become their fullest and most understanding, while acknowledging and experiencing their hurt at the same time. For example, I was just aching throughout the whole drama for In-wook to interact with the AI Ji-soo. So while we understand Seo-woo’s anger towards In-wook, and her reluctance to give him the closure that will come from talking to AI Ji-soo, at the same time we want her to overcome it.

When she finally does, it’s because AI Ji-soo asked her to, not because In-wook did, which was an interesting move, and pulls us back to the bond the two shared early on. It all comes together when Seo-woo turns on the Ji-soo device, and In-wook plays the piano for her and says what he needs to say to her. So moving! And how cool that a drama can take a story around a high-concept artificial intelligence device and yet turn it into the most human story ever.

What is it that makes this drama so beautiful? I know I love the story, the characters, the setting, and the theme, but there’s something going on underneath that takes a simple tale and turns it powerful. A Piece of Your Mind is rich in subtext and metaphor, but I think what really made it magic for me was the portrayal of people.

A great example of this was with Soon-ho’s arc, and how she redeemed herself from her selfish move last week, and dealt with her complicated emotions. In the end, she was able to hold onto her relationships with both In-wook and Won, and to me, it’s because of the quality and character everyone showed. It’s how Won was able to understand and forgive Soon-ho as his “precious family,” even after that deep wound; it’s the difference between reacting out of love versus anger.

There’s a generosity of human spirit in this drama that just captures my heart — I’m not sure if that’s the exact way to describe it, but that’s the closest I can get. The drama was able to portray something so precious and relatable in each character and how they interact with others. It’s meaningful and deep, but it’s never heavy-handed.

The most interesting part of this conclusion, I think, was where the story went for Seo-woo — and that means her breakdown, of sorts. It’s as if all of the highs and lows she’s been through over the course of the drama drained her dry. AI Ji-soo’s request to get rid of her, since she shouldn’t exist, puts Seo-woo over the edge, and she’s caught in a bout of depression.

Seo-woo knows exactly what to do and say to comfort others, and does it so warmly for Won again and again, but it turns out what Seo-woo needs for herself is time. This is not your typical “Two Years Later” light switch where everything is suddenly fine. Instead, A Piece of Your Mind guides us through the brief time that Ha Won and Seo-woo are apart.

What Seo-woo needs is some space to process everything that’s happened, she needs to sort her emotions, and she needs to make peace with Ji-soo and find a way to keep her in her heart without any negative emotions.

There’s another beautiful scene (why is every scene between people so beautiful in this drama? I can’t find a better word) between Seo-woo and the ever-wonderful Eun-joo. Eun-joo urges Seo-woo not to think that she’s alone, and to know that she’s precious to herself and to many others. This conversation brings her (and me!) to “tears of joy.” It’s only when she’s able to value herself that she can return to Ha Won.

Agh, I will miss these beautiful humans, because they (and their stories) have become precious to me too. Whether it’s those understanding embraces between Won and Seo-woo, or that corner of the kitchen floor at the homestay where everyone gathers to talk, or all the moments we’ve spent with these characters — this drama’s warmth will stay with me for a long time.

And when we look back on A Piece of Your Mind, may we see Eun-joo at the top of the hill reminding us to come back for a visit, and cheering us on to have courage as we move through life. Because that’s what was at the core of this drama, I think — stories about the courage to keep going, the courage to understand and forgive others, and the courage to love.

Tags: , , , ,

Thank you for your piece.. It's so nice to have you on this lovely journey of A Piece of Your Mind..

I do kinda like that they ended Ji-soo's never ending arc (and how we are shown that she did love her husband), albeit having to sacrifice the screentime of the OTP (hugging and being cute) together. What I didn't like was Seo-woo spending the last hour (still) feeling guilty about what happened to Ji-soo when it could've been dealt earlier if only the drama still had its original 16 episodes (it needed to be done earlier). What happened was really traumatic (hearing a friend die while talking to you) and she wouldn't be Seo-woo if she doesn't feel guilty about it, so AI Ji-soo asking her to let her rest in peace would really take a toll on her. Still, I am relieved how Seo-woo handled this, and how she recovered just in time to call Won in Oslo. Hee

But what I do love about the last episode is the reveal on Won's mother being AI Won's point of reaction, because the whole hour I thought "This is going to be all about Ji-soo, now, won't it?" I'm glad I was wrong, because the closure Won really needed was not one with Ji-Soo, but one with his Mom.

This drama was amazing on how it dealt with the episode cut, although sacrificing some character growth and depth in In-wook and Soon-ho. I am on the fence about Soon-ho but I don't even hate her, it's just seems that she was set up to be a better character then the episode cut happened and BAAM, she lost her character development. But I really appreciate how the show ended the stories of Soon-ho and In-wook. The side characters were lovable as well (except Chang-sub). And we all need an Eun-joo in our lives.

Overall, this drama isn't about Ji-soo, nor what In-wook did in the past to Won that pretty much damaged everyone else. This drama is about the influence of the people around Seo-woo and Won, and how a piece of those people made Seo-woo and Won heal and grow with each other.

I'm going to miss Won and Seo-woo so much. *sobs* They are really one of the best OTPs in Dramaland.

I interpreted Se-woo's actions in the final episode differently. Her feelings about Ji-soo's death reminded her that for happiness there comes the risk of sadness. She didn't break it off over guilt, she broke it off over her own fear of future sadness. Mr Dawn (perfect name actually) didn't just teach her the courage to pursue happiness. He taught her the courage to pursue it despite the risk of losing it.

This show makes me splat feelings all over the computer. Sorry.

I too love the fact that when Ha-won decided his reaction point was Ji-soo in the first episode that he was actually wrong. The thing he needed to bring himself back together was closure over the death of his mother.

You said this so beautifully, and you are right, LT. I couldn't put it into proper words, and your comment is a nice way into looking at why Seo-woo reacted that way in the last episode.

I love love love this show, so I totally understand the need to splat our feelings all over the computer!

I love Won's closure with his Mom (and it was really well done imo). I hope I get closure over the fact that this gem was cut to 12 episodes and that it is now over.

I left the final episode thinking it made sense why Ha-won was so obsessed with Ji-soo. She was there with him after his mother suddenly and inexplicably died. She was the only part of happy youth he allowed himself to remember. She also promised him she'd find out why Won's mother died; I think Ha-won took some solace in that. Most of all, we understand why Ha-won was so insistent on understanding Ji-soo and her death; he'd already lost one loved one in a way that made no sense, so he was determined to make sure he understood why this other person he loved died.

It makes total sense. We might've disliked Ji-soo at some point, but she played a big part on why Won's memories of Oslo were (initially shown to be) mostly the happy ones (and with Ji-soo). She promised him that she will find out why Won's mother died and Won held to that promise. He only wanted a "piece" of her at the beginning, but he ended up losing (another person he loves) her.

And I honestly really liked the dynamics between Seo-woo and Ji-soo/AI Ji-soo.

In my blog post that will definitely get finished any minute now I swear (see previous comment about emotion splats), I called Jisoo an avatar for his loss of family.

"An avatar for his loss of family" is a great way of describing this. The eventual substitution of his mother in place of Ji-soo as his point of reaction really brings this home.

It also goes a way toward explaining why Ha-won's description of Soon-ho as his family in the end is so poignant. For both Ha-won and Seo-woo, this show has been about re-constituting the families of which they were bereft. Seo-woo finds her family in Ha-won and in the recognition that the people at Eun-joo Homestay are her family (the thing Eun-joo says to Seo-woo at the end); Ha-won finds his family in Seo-woo and in the recognition of Soon-ho as his family.

To me Seo-Woo is a highly emphatic person at her core, as @missvictrix aptly says through the course of the series all her high and low she’s experiencing drained her.

Ji-Soo practically died in front of her and after she pushed Ha-Won to deal with his grief while supporting him, she feels guilty because Ha-Won loves her, she wants to shield Ha-Won from In-Wook, AI Ji-Soo wants Seo-Woo to erase her, she’s upset but she doesn’t want to tell Ha-Won because she’s afraid of Ha-Won having to say goodbye all over again (except to me this is rather moot because Ha-Won since learn to let go of Ji-Soo already) and that is just on the top of my head.

She wants to take the time to take care of herself, the show takes it’s time in showing that Seo-Woo doesn’t just get better because she’s away from Ha-Won, what she need is perspective and she gained that after her conversation with Eun-Joo *sobs* she doesn’t have to do what she doesn’t want to do and she doesn’t have to fight alone, earlier Ha-Won told her to always remember how much he loves her and cherish her *crazily sobbing* and now Eun-Joo also tell her the same thing.

One of my biggest fear if they’re doing what k-drama loves to do, 2 years later, 3 years later, thank God this show has no taste for the melodramatic *sorry show I should have more faith in you*

I was also scared that the show will have a time skip that is more than a year! HAHA. I'm so relieved that they didn't go that way, but instead allowed Seo-woo to be sad and take her time to recover from her grief.

Eun-joo is really something, isn't she? Whenever she does something for other people, especially for Seo-woo and Min-jung, I feel like she's also doing something for me. She's amazing.

Even a year is unacceptable, I mean just like Ha-Won said they can't be separated.. they just can't.. *bawling again*

*cries with you for the nth time*

Usually a year-time skip is the 'magic healing time' trope for k-dramas but thank God this show is not our run-of-the-mill drama!

YES! I don't really like time skips so I was really glad we get to see our leads actually take their time to heal and not just become different people without scars a year (or two) later! This is why I appreciate this drama so much.

Haha. Me too. I was going, "Please no time skip. They don't need to be separated for a year, drama! Please don't do it." And I was so, so glad that they didn't.

I like what you wrote about empathy. SeoWoo breaking down shows how empathy can hurt you and wear you down. We often think of certain emotions as always positive - anger bad, empathy good. But SeoWoo’s breakdown shows that too much of anything is bad. It also shows us the importance of self care and valuing your mental health and well being. I’m so glad that the show didn’t do noble idiocy or time skip.

I love too, how we find out Ha Won's point of reaction was his mom! What a reveal. I can only imagine what other character developments and growth could have been expounded on if we just had the full 16 episodes. Nevertheless, it was a beautiful drama. I will definitely miss all the characters, especially Seo Woo and Ha Won.

Me too! I was actually rooting for Soon-ho at the beginning of this show, so I can imagine her as a well-developed character if this show had the full 16 episodes. But I liked how her story turned out, and the show did its best in trying to flesh her out albeit the episode cut.

On the other hand, I am so glad they didn't sacrifice the journey of our leads. They really are the charm of this well-written gem.

It was a relief to learn that Won's point of reaction was his mum. Oh! Such a relief! Not JiSoo around. Thanks drama!

I'm so in love with this drama and now my love has been cut off and ended early and I am in grief. Thankfully we have A Piece of Your Mind to teach us how to deal with the grief of the end of A Piece of Your Mind.

Together.

Can we get Jung Hae-in to give us all hugs to console us over this show's abrupt ending? I'd like to be recharged.

i second this!!

Bangobi for all!

I think we all need to rent a room in Eun Joo's.
At least I need to.

oh my heart. i'm going to miss this drama so very much. thank you, Ha-won and Seo-woo, Soon-ho and In-wook (though you don't entirely deserve my thanks lol), the wonderful people of Eun-joo's Boarding House and AH Laboratory - and of course, Ji-soo. staying in and staying home was made all the more meaningful when i had all of you to look forward to each week. and i wish the show had its 4 additional episodes so that we could watch much more :(

thanks also to @missvictrix for summing it up so wonderfully for us :)

if you're already experiencing withdrawals (like me), take a look at our A Piece of Your Mind overview on KDL :) focusing on locations, and tidbits on the production team, the music in the show, literary references and socio-cultural references. it will continue to be updated too!

That's a beautiful and super complete post, thanks!

thank you @flyingcolours! glad you liked it :)

Thanks so much for sharing the link!
Wow, amazing job. I loved it!

thank you so much @eazal!

Thank you @missvictrix so much for this beautiful piece.

This was an enchanting and beautifully-written piece, missvictrix. You've managed to capture and articulate my feelings about this show and its ending better than I ever could have. In the process, you've also helped me crystallize some of the inchoate thoughts I had after clock ran up on this show.

There's so much in A Piece of Your Mind to love, but, at its heart, this is a show about human relationships and how messy, exhausting, painful, and rewarding they can be, for the people directly involved in those relationships and for third parties. Coming to terms with loss and unfulfilled love are individually difficult for all of us; coming to terms with both at the same time can stretch us to our breaking points. This show managed to reflect this reality in an unvarnished way without relying on theatrics or puffy cliches. However, we don't just see human beings when they're at their lowest; we also see human beings at their best, when they come together in love and solidarity to overcome hardship. In the end, we see that love is both the poison and the cure.

As someone who has watched every episode of this beautiful, life-changing drama multiple times, I've noticed that the story is filled with intentional metaphors, themes and details, each representing every little message the writer wants to bring across. I felt like it wouldn't do the writer's efforts justice if I didn't explain at least a few of these for everyone to enjoy, so that they can relish the understated beauty and weight of every moment this show gives when they embark on their inevitable re-watch!

1. The Full Moon - The moon was full and whole when Ha Won and Seo Woo finally found peace with themselves and with each other in the end, signifying how each half has come together as one. Now we know where the title of this drama was leading us to.

2. The reaction points for each character's AI personality - The commonality between all 3 reaction points is that they were all the person who was a source of strength in their lives. Ha Won thought his reaction point was Jisoo because his AI reacted to thunder, but it was his mother all along. Jisoo had always merely been an extension of his mother in his life. Jisoo's reaction point was never Ha Won either, it was In Wook, someone she was ultimately loyal to. Seo Woo's reaction point was Before Dawn-nim, whose mere presence encouraged her to push on even when she didn't know his name.

3. The streetlight (both at the street outside Ha Won's house and the one over Seo Woo's mum's chair) - This represents their waiting for each other, whether it was Seo Woo waiting for Ha Won or Ha Won waiting for Seo Woo, or Seo Woo's mum/Eunjoo waiting for Seo Woo. It's as if to say "No matter what happened to you today, come home to me. Come home and rest. And let me comfort you."

4. Seo Woo's emotional exhaustion, which had accumulated until she couldn't take it anymore - It began in the earlier episodes, when she started suffering physically because she could actually feel Ha Won's pain. She doubled over in pain every time she sensed Ha Won's torment, until it was too much for her. She felt too much for him and too much guilt for "taking" Jisoo away from him (as illustrated by how anguished she was that she had to be the one to destroy AI Jisoo) and felt too much confusion and uncertainty about who she was in Ha Won's life and in her own that she just needed to step away. I really thought the short break was a much needed turning point in their relationship.

5. Ha Won's pulse checking - I found it especially poignant that what stirred Seo Woo's heart in the beginning of the drama was what Ha Won used to remind her that his love flows in her veins and is as constant and real as her heartbeat. He chose something that would be always there with Seo Woo even when they were apart to represent his love for her because that was how strongly he felt for Seo Woo and how much he wanted her to always remember his love.

6. "As if you're here" and the screen between - This...

6. "As if you're here" - This sentence sums up a lot of what the characters went through. Believing in something that wasn't there proved unhealthy for Ha Won because he allowed himself to love someone without seeing her for 9 years, but now believing in something that isn't in front of her and not apparent proved heartbreaking for Seo Woo as well. She desperately wanted to believe that Ha Won's love was really hers to have. That's why the scene where a screen stood between them was so poetic. Seo Woo could not see him through the glass and didn't know he was there, but Ha Won could see her through it. His love had been real all along. He knows how he feels. He knows that he was with Seo Woo in that moment and in every moment. But Seo Woo didn't. She didn't know.

Frankly, there are so many metaphors that I could go on and on. I'm glad I got to appreciate and enjoy the writing the way I did. I have no regrets, even though my heart hurts and I'm not ready to say goodbye.

This story will for sure remain etched in my heart for a long time.
안녕, 서우야. 언녕, 하원아.
 잘자~
Goodbye, Seo Woo. Goodbye, Ha Won. Sweet dreams.

I love your explanation of the metaphors. Especially, the one about how HaWon’s love for SeoWoo is real and always with her. It’s beautiful.

Thank you for sharing all of your thoughts! So beautifully worded and recapped everything else I would've wanted to say.

Lovely. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

The writer used so many metaphors & symbolism (even in the tiny details) I had never thought I would ever see in a drama, especially kdrama! This drama is more like a long Arthouse movie. If I may add, one tiny detail that I just discovered reading Mich’s web link (see Mich comment above) is young HW reading Immanuel Kant’s critique of pure reason whilst waiting for the snow after his Mom’s death. Kant (German philosopher) believed that telling the truth was imperative, a moral duty even under any circumstances. He disapproved any kinds of lies, even innocent or white lies. I thought this is brilliant. Young HW was holding the clue to his Mom’s death literally in his hand (IW’s lie that was told on the spur of the moment without malicious intent, I believe, but ended up in tragedy that affected the lives of a few, including the liar himself). Precisely what Kant argued against any kind of lie. This drama is deep indeed. Kudos to the writer, PD, cast and the whole team. And kudos to you beanies who have enjoyed this drama like I have! Glad to find people who have been in this unusual but beautiful journey in drama land! And thanks Mich for the link to your site.

Reading all the love for this show, makes me think the first episodes are very crucial. From the outrage that was seen on the weird direction of the first episodes , I didn't even give this show a chance. But now it seems like it was sth I would've loved watching. I'll catch up to you later show when the world is better and we don't have to deal with grief.

It's true that the first episode is crucial, I'm the strange one here probably but this show's first episode is exactly when I fall in love with this show, it's so wonderfully unusual from everything I ever watched before, it's hard to explain but I just can't take my eyes off it. And I'm the fast forward type.

You're not alone, I loved every minute of this from the first frame. After I watched the first two I messaged some friends raving about how much I loved it and was really surprised when they came back and said they didn't like it.

I thought the first episode was weird - not necessarily bad, but not exactly good. I thought - and still think - the second episode was the worst episode of the show.

i was cautiously optimistic acter e1 but worried after e2 - it felt like i was watching episode 13 and 14 of a regular less well written drama. but melo wasnt really the destination for this show, it was the starting point and im glad we could only go up from there.

I was utterly confused when I finished the first two episodes. I didn't know what to think, but I just couldn't stop watching. And I'm so glad I stuck.

Episode 12 is wrenching. Grateful that the story ended with successful relationship between the 2 leads. This is a very beautiful love story of healing and forgiveness. One gets a sense of peace with the gentle music and no loud screamings typical of k dramas. Hope the 2 leads will come up stronger in their zest to bring dramas to this drama. Looking forward to seeing the 2 together again

Thank you misvic for interpreting the storyline, episode by episode. After each episode, I was always on the lookout for your review and recap to help me understand the flow of the story better. Thank you for brightening up my day.

Thank you missvic for interpreting the storyline, episode by episode. After each episode, I was always on the lookout for your review and recap to help me understand the flow of the story better. Thank you for brightening up my day.

One of the better romances, although funny enough there was only 1 peck. Yet, you don't feel the romance less. The beautiful fabulous hugs, the closeness of just feeling and touch. Their love language was hugs and what a gorgeous love language. I enjoyed this drama and mourn what could have been worth the extra 4 episodes. What we had was lovely and will be enough.

I frequently say that what Kdramas suffer from is a lack of intimacy. It's why I find romcoms in particular antiseptic. Whenever you say it people accuse you of just wanting sex but APOYM shows once and for all that you can do great intimacy without sex*. I didn't even notice there was only one small kiss until Twitter was complaining about it.

*no personal issue with dramas having lots and lots of sex too

A lot of dramas think intimacy can be protray with just one-two kiss scenes with close-up...

Spot on! This drama is actually manage to portray intimacy in an endearing way, and the journey of Ha-Won discovering a tangible kind of love, their interaction is heart-fluttering whether it's the soft gaze, the hand-holding or the hugs yes especially the hugs..

And the credit goes to Hae-In and Soo-Bin, can you imagine this show in a lesser-skilled actor hand *shudders*

I loved the hugs. Hugs are very personal and are a sign of not just intimacy but trust. You are opening up your whole body for a hug. I also liked how they used different types of hugs to show HaWon and SeoWoo’s state of mind. In the last episode before their separation it’s a lot of side hugs with SeoWoo being slightly turned away from HaWon but the last hug was a full on both facing each other. I loved that hug.

I loved the way the drama showed us the intimacy between Won and SW. It felt near and real. People in love touch each other, get close to each other, they hug each other (and yes they kiss and have sex, but I'm fine so far).

Yes, people in love want to touch each other. Kdramas always try to tell me they're madly in love when they stay a metre apart at all times except for the odd dead fish kiss. It's why the romances almost never work for me.

Intimacy is the perfect word. I just love hugs in general and I appreciate this dramas liberal use of them. One of my biggest complaints about dramas is that they don't have enough hugs. So this made me really happy.

Yay to more hugs.
Life is better when you hug and are hugged.

JHI & CSB created a hugs heaven for us. I just adore this couple, I love how CSB giggled when she got her 100 percent recharged.

It seems so unfair that this drama didn't have more episodes.

I really loved this drama! I'm sad they cut it because I think they had a lot to tell.

First, I really like the use of the AI. Even if it asks some imagination from us (but like a lot of shows with technology), it was really a nice and warm part of this drama. All the points of reaction had a lot of meaning, they let us to understand better the characters.

The characters were all wounded but watching them heal step by step was beautiful. I really liked how they all cared about each other even if they didn't know each other very well.

The love story was really cute! The way it evolved from 1% to 100% :D

The actors were all great. Jung Hae In and Chae Soo Bin were really cute together and were perfect to emote all these sad feelings.

The scenery was beautiful "Norway" like Seoul. I really like the places they chose.

The OST was beautiful too and matched well the story.

I loved the use of AI, yet I think this was one of the subjects that suffered the most with the cut. I would have loved to see more discussion on what it means, the moral implications and the consequences.
And I totally agree with you about the OST. Fantastic.

One of my fave part is the wholesome friendship between all the females in this drama. I love all of their connections. I do want to have a friend like Eun Joo. I bawled when she said that one of her life goal is to get Seo Woo out of her rut. How beautiful and pure is that?!! *sniffling again*

This hands down my fave chemistry of JHI with his co-star. For CSB, this is on par with her chemistry in INAR if not more. And what's amazing, this is achieved by not even a single passionate kiss per kdrama rule. Everything about their relationship is beautiful (those hugs!!!). Even their break up scene felt very poetic with very little kdrama-ness into it. I love how Seo Woo's parting words was for Ha Won to find something for himself. That's what give him the courage to finally visit the place of origin of his trauma. I sobbed massively when he played the recording of Seo Woo's singing while playing the piano. It's like he's trying to introduce his precious person to his mom. My heart just felt full watching these two beautiful people finding each other and spread joy and love to the people around them.

I don't think I will ever be able to forgive Tvn for the lost 4 episodes. How to move on from this beautiful gem of a drama?

As usual @missvictrix captures everything beautifully! Eps 10 and 11 were intense while the finale felt more understated. I do grudge the amount of screentime In Wook got, only because it felt we got too little of Seo Woo and Ha Won at the end! This precious drama had some hiccups at the start but it got stronger and performed marvellously to the end, ratings be damned.

Now that it’s over, the 12 episodes feels right yet I can’t help but wonder what 16 would’ve been like? Could we have gotten more delightful, warm-hearted moments or would the story telling get too long winded? Whatever it is, APoYM is CSB and JHI’s best work to date for me and I look forward to rewatching this again. Goodbye my little healing drama 💞💖

Thank you for this recap!

I am so sad this drama is over. What a beautiful development of a story... it's been a long time since I have felt emotionally connected to a drama this way. I will say initially I was more invested in Ha Won and Seo Woo at the beginning, but then also began to grow fond of the story as a whole and all the characters, especially in the boarding house.

Some of the writing in this drama, especially in the last two episodes, was so touching and beautiful. I found myself thinking "what a beautiful line" or how touching some of the lines were. So many powerful and emotional moments, and both the lead actors have done such a wonderful job. They made everything and emoted in such a natural and pure way. I felt myself going through the feelings with them! Thank you to this drama for such a beautiful story... definitely going to keep a lot of sweet memories. This drama is going to linger for some time. :)

It was a wonderful drama - very warm, thoughtful, and lovely. A beautiful tale of love, loss, generosity, and the courage to go on. I am still processing the last two episodes so I will stick to a list of things I adored.

- HaWon telling SeoWoo to remember that he loves her and she is precious to him each time her heart beats. It was very powerful.
- SeoWoo waiting for HaWon after his confrontation with InWook. Even though she was mentally and emotionally drained.
-SeoWoo’s hug when HaWon comes back from Norway.
-HaWon counting down the time it will take him to come home to SeoWoo. It seemed like he was telling her when she can see him but it was more about how he couldn’t wait to go to her.
-EunJoo being the voice of reason for SeoWoo and letting helping her through her grief and confusion.
-HaWon and SeoWoo cuddling in bed, even when one or the other has something on their mind that is bothering them. It’s like the things that their was telling them is between them is really not between them.
-HaWon going to Norway because of SeoWoo.
-HaWon realizing his response feature is his mom and not JiSoo.
-HaWon and SoonHo making up and Himemi telling her that she’s his family.
-MinJung finding strength to go on living and living well.
-InWook finding closure and because HaWon gave him the opportunity
-HaWon finding closure and finally realizing that his 10 year obsession with JiSoo was his unresolved grief for his mother.
-HaWon’s confidence that SeoWoo will call and that they will be together.
-HaWon’s trust in SeoWoo and his love for her to let her have her space and sort her feelings.
-SeoWoo finally finding herself again and doing what she needs rather than what JiSoo wants her to do.

All of this + I also like the fact that Ha Won went to Norway without Seo Woo. In eps 10 or 11 I think HW asked her to go and SW said she'd like to go someplace they've both never been, which is understandable given the long history in Norway that HW and Ji Soo had.

My list of things I like are mostly of HaWon and I noticed there was very little of SeoWoo and that is what was bothering me about the last two episodes. SeoWoo was missing. She was there but while all the other characters got to heal in the slow gentle way with support and empathy, SeoWoo was left hurting and on the sidelines. InWook, SoonHo, AI JiSoo all got more time to state their case and heal even as SeoWoo was getting more worn out. SeoWoo has been a source of comfort for everyone and I felt that in the end because of the cuts we couldn’t see her slow and gentle healing, which happened mostly off screen. We only get to see her have very minimal interactions and throw away conversations as she deals with her grief and confusion. It made me sad.
The scene where she cries by herself after HaWon fell asleep is how the show chose to have her deal with her emotions. Yes, HaWon was there and they had a short conversation and he held her but nothing was resolved, it was a bandaid over a gushing wound. SeoWoo was still in a lot of pain and HaWon either didn’t see it or couldn’t help. To me it was a little bit of both. He didn’t see how much she was struggling and by the time he saw and understood it was at a point where he couldn’t help as much. Here’s a list of things I wish the show had time to do.

-I wish HaWon said SeoWoo-ya just once.
-I wish they had one kiss. I loved the hugs
-I wish they had one conversation about JiSoo/AI JiSoo and the insecurities and sadness SeoWoo had about what InWook said and AI JiSoo asked her to do.
- I wish SeoWoo’s reaction point was not Mr.Dawn. For the first time I felt that was a little too on the nose and served mainly to have HaWon feel he’s important to her, get confidence she will come to him (just as he was feeling a little doubt) and helped him grow but did nothing for her. This was contrary to all the other reaction points which were more meaningful to the other characters and how they grow (MinJung, JiSoo, etc).
- I wish SeoWoo’s reaction point had been something related to EunJoo because it was EunJoo who was there when SeoWoo was down, EunJoo who helped SeoWoo pick herself up and move through life.
-I wish we had seen more of how his love for SeWoo made HaWon decide he needed to go to Norway for his own happiness.

On the whole I was a bit upset that SeoWoo who was one half of the whole that made this drama so beautiful was not given enough time and empathy in the end. I genuinely feel it’s because of the cuts. If there was ever a dram that deserved all 16 episodes it was this one.

At first I felt a lil bit confused and sad about why Seo Woo's point of reaction (PoR) wasn't Ha Won, it's Mr. Dawn instead. But I try to reanalyse it and seek for reason. I think to have "Mr. Dawn" as Seo Woo's PoR is more perfect than to have "Ha Won" as her PoR. If it's Mr. Dawn then it's nothing relatable to Ji Soo since Seo Woo met Mr. Dawn before she met Ha Won (even though Mr. Dawn and Ha won were the same person). If it's Ha Won then it relates to Ji Soo. And this is what I love: no relation with Ji Soo. (sorry for my English✌🏻😅)

I think the writer had a very specific reason for making SeoWoo's point of reaction be Mr Dawn. After losing parents and home, SeoWoo had felt uprooted and not even EunJoo's support has mended that. This is shawn in SeoWoo's story when she told Mr Dawn that the words to give her strength were "stay with me/us". Mr Dawn was the first person to tell her to stay. He first did it indirectly, through SoonHo, then directly - "work happily for a long time at the studio where you have been asked to stay". This played an important part in SeoWoo realising that Mr Dawn is the owner of the studio, Ha Won. In the same spirit, later Ha Won himself tells SeoWoo to stay for him: these words equally offer and ask for help.

And yeah, I wish the same too: Ha won say Seo woo-ya 😭

Thank you as always @missvictrix for your speedy weecap. You really captured I think, how many of us have felt about this show. After reading all the comments with ever more thoughts and understanding the subtleties of the plot, characters and camera work I'm not sure I can be as coherent, but I'll try.

What stood out to me in these last two episodes were:
1. Soon-ho going out to the farm, feeling lonely and like she had failed her uncle, saying to herself. Well no one is going to water me so I'll have to do it myself.
2. Eun-joo telling Seo-woo that she is enough in herself.

At first I was annoyed at the separation, and thought why can't we have one drama without the noble idiocy???
That is, until we see Ha-won coming to peace with his grief and saying goodbye in Oslo.
When he looked so peaceful I realized that he was the only one who could heal himself.
And the same with Seo-woo - she had to come to terms with her grief by herself.

At that point I could see how the writer used the AI as a way to show how we all have to work things through on our own. No one can heal us - but they can be there WITH us.

This show was sooooo beautiful in so many ways. The lack of kisses wasn't a big deal for me because all those hugs and snuggling really said more than kisses.
I'm going to miss them and will rewatch it again and again.

Does anyone wonder if the 4 missing episodes might have made the story all messy and fall apart like some dramas have done *cough cough - BecauseThisIsMyFirstLife* and instead we got the best outcome?
Nah..... me neither.....

I'm still trying to make sense of the end of BecauseThisIsMyFirstLife and the FL choices...

I was mad at Soon Ho for protecting IW, and I was even madder when she went back to the farm (even though i could totally relate to her water & sun line). But her actions afterwards redeemed her and the phone call she had w Won was so sweet and really drove home the fact they are family, even without blood relations.

And yes..i did wonder about the 4 episodes and if everything could've gone sideways or not.

Soon Ho one of the little things that made sense in this drama (I loved the show, but it was sooooo confusing) and it was when he said InWook was crazy. Crazy in an insane way. Thanks Soon Ho for saying out loud what we all thought.

Did she though? Redeem herself i mean becos she didn't go to the farm until inwook started calling her about AI Jisoo and wouldn't listen to her about apologizing to hae won,she realized he wasn't seeing past jisoo and ran to the farm to hide AGAIN and as soon as he came to apologize she went into protecting mode again,she was all like don't worry about it and by the way I'll apologize to hae won on your behalf and then she ran back to the studio.So in wook got away without apologizing to hae won in person which pissed me off. Now i don't know if the show didn't have time for that scene or what but I'm happy that at the end Hae won didn't even need that for his healing.

Am I the only one who thought that Soon Ho's crush on In Wook was wrapped up with her sense of self-worth? More than once she mentioned that helping In Wook out of his slump made her feel worthy... something she apparently hadn't felt in a long time. She said she would get the truth out once the concert was over, so she was not simply protecting IW because of a crush--she was protecting the successful concert outcome because that was a sign of her existence being validated as a positive thing. At least, that's what I read into it. That's also why, in my opinion, when she spoke to IW afterwards and is trying to talk about how he should be reacting to the successful concert and he is obsessing over Jisoo instead, she finally gets the wake-up slap in the face that helps her gain perspective on what she's been doing. I found it further interesting that when she later talks to Soon Ho, she asks if she'd had an impact on his life by going to meet him that first day and connecting with him emotionally. Unfortunately, although she's gained some perspective and equilibrium, it doesn't look like she's learned not to place her own sense of self worth in others.

I really liked both the scenes you pointed out. I loved that all the characters found their own way and were their own champions.

The drama also really showed how small gestures like holding someone’s hand can mean so much. There were many scenes that focused on hands and their role in our lives.

I did not need tons of kisses but I would have liked just one more peck with the same warmth and intimacy as all the hugs, especially when he told her he loves her. I did love the shy head tilt SeoWoo did.

I think with current ( Virus pandemic) may have something to do with kissing scene in drama for actors safety ... Just thinking.

Four more episode would only have meant for me more cute scenes from our cute leads, but I don't think would have add much more to the plot.

Yes more cute scenes of those would be fun.
Instead I gravitated to Jung Hae-in's Travel Log to New York on Viki.
What I've come away with is seeing how innocent and sweet he seems in real life, which really points out his great acting skills!

I've watched a couple of episodes of it and he's really innocent, I mean, he's not acting at all. Such a sweet guy.

I was cringing in that first episode when he bought a plate of food from the Halal street vendor and without tasting it first poured on all the hot sauce!!! Then went back for more when it wasn't spicy enough.
But all of a sudden the heat caught up to him and he could barely breath. Poor guy. And the lady who recognized him right then - to introduce her husband who watched all his dramas. through it all he could barely talk from the heat of the food.
I can't imagine what I'd do if I saw him on the street like that.
Yes he seems so sweet and innocent.

I wouldn't call Seo-woo asking for a short separation from Won as noble idiocy. She's not doing it for Won, she's doing it for her self. And I actually thought she needed that. After everything that's happened, she needed to step back to realize and actually believe that she is valuable. That Won loves and values her as much as Won said he does.

You are right, but at the time I could only think "well here we go with the angst". However it didn't take long to realize it was what they both needed. A chance to take care of themselves.
Won was also so patient and willing to wait for her. Yes it wasn't noble idiocy as I thought at first.

Glad this drama was cut down by epsiodes. Chae so bin does not have charisma or screen presence. the only people who endured watching this boring drama were the fans of jung hae in. This drama is deserving of its 1% average rating.

"the only people who endured watching this boring drama were the fans of jung hae in."

That is rather presumptuous. It is fine to tell us that you didn't like it and why, but don't try to tell us why we liked it. You're not inside our heads.

I feel compelled to say that Chae SooBin was one of the reasons I watched the show. She did a phenomenal job with SeoWoo’s character. I am adding her to my short list of actors who have created very memorable female characters - Bae Donna (Forest of Secrets), Go AhSung ( Life on Mars) and now Chae SooBin (A piece of your Mind).

Me too. I had never watched any of her drama, and now I want to watch more.
Also, I would say we should ignore trolls, but I just didn't feel like it with this one.

Watch INAR. She's wonderful in that. And it's a great drama too.

I've added it to my "to watch" list after second episode :)

She was also REALLY good in I'm Not a Robot. I think that's when I feel in love with her acting and presence.

I liked her in I’m not a robot. I even liked her in where stars land, even though the drama was a mess. I just realized that Chae SooBin has been in three dramas where technology was used to help humans overcome their health problems - physical or mental. Interesting!

Where the stars land was such a terrible mess... I dropped it on episode 15. Then I realised there was only one more episode and forced myself to watch the ending. I hated it, by the way.

This comment is on a page with about 3000 words of why people loved this drama that had nothing to do with being a JHI fan. I don't think I've read a single fangirl comment about the actors at all. Did you even read what people have been writing.

trolls don't read - they just troll...

Tru dat

A piece of mind is a treasure.
The only flaw i can think of is bcoz it's been shortened, it affected the continuity of the story.
I don't understand why many viewers don't understand the role of Al.
Like some of u said, Soo Bin is the perfect match for Hae In.
Those contradicting this and criticizing their team up are the bitter ones who i know wish their bias is in Soo Bin's shoes.
Hae In is good in this kind of role. This is his comfort zone. And he can give his best in his comfort zone.
How i wish they will have another drama together.
I cried in the whole ep 12. I can feel their pain.
But the best part of ep 12.. from the time Ha Won played Seo Woo'd song to his mother onwards. And his face ...happy and peaceful and a happy and proud boyfriend to Seo Woo.
Ha Won's love to Seo Woo...i can't describe it. It's a very beautiful love.
And when he looked at the sky, the first thing that came into his mind is to call Seo Woo. Just in time SW called.
That's another thing with them, their connection. Even just by looking, they know what's on the mind of the other. Even they are far apart, they have the piece of the other's mind.
Gonna miss them all.
Just rewatch for now.

Thank you . I am so glad that I read all the comments, that make me realized that i missing so many details ( my way of thinking ) of the drama that I already loves. I am going back to rewatch this wonderful healing romance drama..again & again. Thank you to all my friends here.

The comment section on this drama has been one of my favorite things! It’s full of thoughtful discussions and insights.

One thing that still baffles me: What motivated In Wook to tell the horrible and ultimately fatal lie to Ha Won's mother? Jealousy over Ji Soo? Did IW and HW even know each other in Norway? The name "Kang In Wook" seemed to mean nothing to the adult Ha Won in Seoul. Moreover, they couldn't have been in school together, as In Wook was much older, although In Wook apparently knew Ha Won in Oslo, even if neither Ha Won nor his mother knew In Wook.

Of course, In Wook immediately regretted saying the lie and tried to reach Ha Won's mother, but was too late. Perhaps the explanation for the lie was something that got cut with the 4 episodes.

An otherwise beautiful and memorable drama, but that crucial element of the story has me confused.

IW tell SoonHo that he moved around a lot in Europe and didn’t like being the only Korean person in those places. He really wanted to fit in and his way of doing that is to not speak to other Koreans. Something like this is very complex and hard with feelings of guilt, insecurity, anger and loneliness all rolled into one. In addition, he didn’t like HaWon. the show doesn’t explain but could be a mixture of jealousy over JiSoo and jealousy over HaWon being at peace over something he has struggled with (fitting in a place where you stand out).

These things bring us to his interaction with HaWon’s mom and how he accidentally spoke in Korean. HaWon’s mom being the long person starts chatting with him and it made him uncomfortable and he just wanted to get away so he said the first thing he thought would end his conversation with her. He actually ends his conversation saying bye in Norwegian rather than Korean.

So it’s a bit of thoughtlessness that was rooted in his other more complex feelings of loneliness, jealousy, sense of identity. At least that’s what I saw in the drama as his reasons.

I dunno, that still doesn't make sense to me. Ha Won didn't know In Wook at all in Norway. They had never met. Why would In Wook tell this dangerous lie to Ha Won's mother in the middle of a snow emergency? He could just have said nothing about Ha Won and still walked away from Ha Won's mother, if that is what he wanted to do.

I have to believe the explanation got cut in the missing 4 episodes.

I think they knew of each other. They both went to the same school, HaWon’s mother comments on the school. InWook definitely knew about HaWon and JiSoo. He tell SeoWoo that approached JiSoo after HaWon left Norway. JiSoo and HaWon grew up together and had each other. It looks like they mostly hung out with each other and made their own world. They might have known of another possible Korean kid in school but not really taken the time to approach him or make friends with him, especially if as InWook said he was trying not to interact with other Koreans. HaWon in particular seems to have been very content with his life in Norway till his mother died. He seems to have been just focused on his studies, JiSoo and his life with his mom. JiSoo says to HaWon that her future husband didn’t want to be known to HaWon so that’s why she doesn’t tell him his name and just talks of him. So HaWon might not have been as aware of InWook as InWook thought. But there definitely was overlap between HaWon’s time in Norway and InWook’s time in Norway.

They didn't go to the same school. In Wook was much older. In Wook wasn't 18, he had been traveling around Europe for years. And Ha Won did hear the name Kang In Wook from Seo Woo, but it meant nothing to him. HW and IW must have never met in Norway.

I think the explanation for the lie was never developed in the episodes shown. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. :>)

They were wearing the same school uniform, @hayaka, they were in the same school. At one point In-wook says "when I was at school in Norway there was a boy I hated..."
Ha-won had no idea who In-wook was but In-wook hated him from afar just like he loved JI-soo from afar. I agree the timeline doesn't entirely add up for me. And Kim Sung-hyu is only two years older than Jung Hae-in in real life (I guess they were a hard two years?)

"Kim Sung-hyu is only two years older than Jung Hae-in in real life (I guess they were a hard two years?)"
Ok this made me laugh 😅

I definitely agree that the show didn’t explicitly connect the dots and explain InWook’s motivation. I blame the episode cuts. *Raises fists at TvN*

My deductions could be all wrong for sure so let’s agree to disagree 😊

I agree with your deduction, that's how I saw it too. In-wook's motivation as well as Soon-ho's development in particular are two things lost by the episode cut. I'm trying not to dwell on those missing four episodes but I keep thinking of them out there like they exist in the universe but we will never know them .

In ep 12 AI Ji Soo recounted how In Wook had a secret crush for her for 10 years before he spoke to her. It follows that In Wook had watched Ji Soo and Ha Won being together for many years in Norway, his hate for Ha Won was indeed jealousy. Consciously, In Wook thinks his lie to Ha Won's mother was just an innocent mistake, when in fact it was an instinctive reaction born out of jealousy. He didn't mean for Ha Won's mom to die, but through his unconscious reaction he effectively displaced Ha Won from Ji Soo's life. The theme displacement is played like a leitmotif for In Wook in this drama- when he's displaced from the orchestra, he tries to replace Seo Woo with another engineer, Ha Won displaces his audience at the concert... This I believe is because In Wook has not been willing to consciously face the full significance of his actions, and what this did to Ha Won. Left unexamined, his instinctive jealousy has been torturing In Wook throughout, including the devastating effect on Ji Soo. For his own healing,
In Wook needed to look all this truth straight in the face as well as be forgiven. Ha Won has offered him both. This is why in the end In Wook peacefully realised that Ha Won and Ji Soo had him live by their side, instead of crushing him. It is a simple homage to the beautiful childhood friendship between Ha Won and Ji Soo.

I will begin by saying that I still don't know what this drama was about. I mean, I've watched it, I loved it, I enjoy every minute of it, I loved the way pain and healing was shown to us, and how important relations are in life. And even so, I still don't know what it was about.

I remember my reaction after episodes 1 and 2. I didn't know what was happening, but I couldn't stop watching. And that was my reaction throughout the show. I didn't care about it cut to 12 episodes, because I knew nothing would make sense, and for me it was fine, because it didn't.

Of course I know this drama HAS a sense, and a beautiful story told. But I don't know how to explain how nothing made sense to me. I didn't like or understand JiSoo and the fascination everyone had on her. I didn't understand her reaction to "the revelation" his husband made to her. I did't understand InWook reaction to her reaction to his "revelation": had he always been an abusive husband? What about his constant fear and angst? Why? When he told JiSoo he was smiling and saying "look at this stupid thing I did in the past". He was smiling, and then the tragedy and the angst and the fear and the tears... and they had never been there in their 10 years marriage... Those two didn't make sense.

Soon Ho didn't make sense either: a gardener turned out music manager. It just doesn't fit. And that sudden infatuation with InWook, a married man first, then she learns that he's a widower. She got obsessed with him in such an insane way... just to realize she had gone too far in a minute and call him crazy.

So if you read this you may think I didn't like the drama at all, and you are totally wrong. I LOVED THIS DRAMA. So much, it aches: loved the leads, their soft hearts, their lovely relation, the use of light and colours, the perfect OST, the atmosphere, the reliable characters (we all need a Eun Joo in our lives), the inicial discussion about AI (I think this was a major suffering from the cut) and how this drama speaks directly to your heart in terms of emotion.

I truly think every single beanie should watch this show.

The drama was poetic and nostalgic, true. I enjoyed the cuteness and the goodness of its characters while it lasted. What was the sadness and nostalgia all about, and HOW all the tragic things came about did not make any sense. Well, at least we didn’t have any mandatory annoying potential mothers-in-law coz the writer killed off the families of main characters in the most bizarre way. Like no one had any cellphone communications with parents and blizzard warnings in Norway in 2010? Seriously? No locals helping out to find stranded in sudden blizzards helpless Koreans? I live in the most blizzard prone Colorado mountains, and can tell you that the whole everyone- walks-to-school-in-freezing-conditions and then dies in the blizzard scenario is unrealistic and plain funny to watch.

To think I could have watched this instead of Meow - but now I can binge...
Thanks to the reviewer and the comments

It took me several episodes to get hooked but I’m so glad I stayed on. I was swept away by the acting, the cinematography and the acting. It had me thinking about how I coped with my own grief in the past. I also understand why others did not like this drama because this is not the usual kdrama style. It kinda reminded me of BTIMFL.

Sorry, I meant... I was swept away by the acting, the cinematography and how it dealt with inner conflict.

Thank you as always for your lovely recap @missvictrix.

Seo-woo needing to be away from Won for a short while is completely understandable in my opinion. I call that self-care. And it was lovely that the drama showed how Seo-woo learned to value her self, which enabled her to accept Won wholeheartedly (Flaws and everything. Past, present and future.)

It was really sad that the drama was cut 4 episodes. I thought at least two more episodes would have been nice to show the development of other characters in the story. More Seo-woo and Ha-won sweet interactions wouldn't hurt either.

But at the same time, I was also happy that the drama is now finished, because now I can binge watch it.

This drama is definitely going to be my go-to drama to re-watch if I need to feel warm and fuzzy. Thank goodness there's no noble idiocy plot (my pet peeve!)

Ha-won and Seo-woo has just been added to my list of all-time favorite k-drama couples.

tbqh i got mad at the mom thing. the show is cute but i was like.........wow tbqh therapy could help. i have no idea if i'll finish it but i got vevry far so maybe. i'm glad to see seo woo away. i was worried that the show was going towards the "love will heal" bit though i probably shouldnt have given that the whole thing is about letting ppl go and having friends and people to support you. this is one of the better slice of life dramas i have seen tho.

Such a fitting finale for a beautiful tale. Thank you @missvictrix for the weecap, excellently written.
I love how the finale gave everyone closure realistically without feeling rushed and resorting to the magic time lapse pill. Kudos to the writer, director, cast and crews for bringing to life this emotional, warm and healing drama. The feeling lingers even after it ended. It has definitely burrowed itself in my heart..

Thank you so much for this wonderful drama. I watched it many times.

the only part that was weird or out of place in this drama was the device.. they never explained how a voice could evolve into character and memories...

I absolutely LOVE this drama and will really miss seeing the characters in action. And thanks to this article as well as all the insights made in the comments, it made certain scenes more meaningful and seen in a different light. I adore the relationship betw HaWon and SeoWoo and the progress they made over the course of the drama together and as individuals. I usually prefer fast paced dramas but this one was just special enough to make me stick to it. Am also glad that the response here is so positive. Had to read thru some really disparaging comments elsewhere that the show was cut/low ratings becos the actors are not doing a good job; when it fact I think the show works becos of these actors. It is unfortunate that ratings are low prob due to other current dramas happening at the same time being more in the spotlight. The 4 ep cut is really annoying on so many levels but ratings = $$ so tvN has restrictions I guess. Nonetheless I have recommended this drama to people I know and since it is over, watching the whole drama without having to wait for the next episode might make the pacing seem more normal. Am glad to be able to journey with the cast and crew from that 1% to 100%. To Jung Hae-In and Chae Soo Bin...and the other cast/crew: 감사합니다 🙏🏼 and 잘했어요👍🏼
PS: I think I will go back and binge watch again...😅

I don't think those people actually watched the whole show though, but eh who cares.. to each their own.. it's their lost as far as I'm concern..

I don't think I have the words to describe how this drama made me feel. I am so glad that I continued watching after week 1, this will teach me not to judge a show so harshly. The finale was heart achingly beautiful to watch and I had to stop the episode several times to cry.
Thank you for the recap and I'm trying to cry again reading the comments. I don't think this is a show I will forget.

*trying not to cry again reading the comments.

I waited for this thread but then forgot to check!
It's been a long time since I watched a drama this sensible and smart. I love how everything was neatly wrapped up despite having a 4-ep cut. Imagine if we got the whole 16 eps, or at least 14 :(((

Overall, the ending was beautiful and I love all the big and small revelation. Anyways, Won's first confrontation was so dramatically done and I think it also served as some kind of revenge towards Inwook. He sabotaged the recital Inwook prepared so hard for, and while it didn't make things "even" between them, it felt satisfying.

The writer sacrificed Inwook and Soonho due to the cut, but everything was still done right. I loved how Soonho realized how much she broke Won's heart, and how she got mad at Inwook immediately now that she was able to think straight. That was the Soonho we knew, and she also realized that. I loved the part when she said that SHE was the one who had to comfort and water herself. That was some growing up she did although I was initially worried she'd lock herself up in a farm again. The fact that Inwook actually came and encouraged her to overcome her slump was very nice of him too. I guess he, too, was finally able to think straight after being clouded with jealousy for years.

I never hated Inwook (I truly, truly felt bad for him), but I agreed that he was being ridiculously self-centered and jealous almost the whole drama. I was waiting the words "I'm sorry" to come out of his mouth during the last ep, and luckily he finally said it without trying to defend himself. I know he was able to do that after knowing Jisoo's true feelings, but saying sorry was never easy nevertheless. I was furious at him when he said that he was the one who had rights to have the device, but at the end of the day, he kind of helped Soonho and Seowoo too (Seowoo's decision to take a break from her relationship might be influenced by his advice to step away for awhile). I was happy that Inwook could finally be rational, and it was heartbreaking to see him doubting Jisoo and himself throughout their marriage. They could've been so happy if he wasn't so insecure, but now he had a second chance to be happy again (supposedly with Soonho!) and also a blossoming career so I wish him well.

This show did a great job with keeping Jisoo in our minds despite her physical absence for the rest of the eps. Her story was concluded very beautifully too. One of the things I loved the most was the fact that both Won's and her point of reaction weren't each other. I think their whole story represented the title really well; they kept a piece of each other in their hearts, as friends or maybe a bit more, but they never actually had a chance to really try loving each other the way couple did. Won's point of reaction was his mother, the one he cherished and lamented, while Jisoo's was Inwook, the one she loved deeply. We finally got an explanation why she chose to marry Inwook, since...

God I didn't realize I hit the character limit! But I'll try to remember what I originally typed:

at the beginning I didn't know WHY she did because she didn't seem to love him. It was a relieving revelation. She married him simply because she loved him, and sadly that was something Inwook never realized until he read her letter.

Won and Seowoo were too out of this world that I can't convey my feelings with words. They never gave up on each other, their love was probably the purest form of love. They helped each other heal and that was everything I could ask for! I wanted to say so many things about them but I have my limits! They were just too precious and lovely.

Supporting characters were so lovely too although their friendship progressed super quickly due to the cut. I was fine with it though, and I want to applaud Eunjoo for not giving Changseob a second chance. Some relationships just wouldn't work.

One last thing I loved about this drama: the writer was aware of each character's flaws and made sure that other characters pointed them out or expressed their frustration about them. It was a very smart move! Not many writers realized how exasperating their characters could be.

Thank you for recapping this drama, @missvictrix! A Piece of Your Mind will live in my heart for a long time, and it was nice to read the others' comments too. I hope we all have our own Eunjoos waiting for us to come home!

I understand the feeling of wanting to say so many words about this drama. It’s been a week since it ended and I still keep thinking about it, analyzing it, fondly remembering scenes, and feeling it’s warmth. I wish with all my heart that Jung HaeIn and Chae SooBin act together in another drama.

Yes! I never expected I would love them together so much but now I just want them to reunite in another drama again :(((.
And you're not alone! I still think about this drama a lot, sometimes I even watch the BTS videos again

Thanks for the weecaps! This was one cute and deep little drama. I liked it a lot, despite it being cut. I loved the messages on the meanings of love and letting go. Though the first two episodes left me confused, I am so glad I stuck to it. Jung hae In and Chae Soo Bin, fighting!

Thanks for the weecap.

It was a stately and poignant of a show. "A Piece of Your Mind", I will remember you with fondness.

This drama was a puzzle whose pieces just didn't fit together all that well. The series started out actively trying to be 'enigmatic' but by the end it was closer to 'opaque'.

-Why did the friend at the guest house abruptly move away and leave the story?

-Why did the couple at the guest house break up?

-Why did the older woman show up at the guest house, and whatever happened to her counseling sessions and her interfacing with the device?

-What was the point at all of that AI box to the larger story? (Close your eyes and imagine the story without the AI box being in it.)

-Why was a the mother dying in a severe weather event treated as a mystery?

-Was the wife's death in the hut a suicide? If not, what the heck was she doing walking into a forest during a blizzard?

-Why was the AI device stuck in a flower pot? And why didn't Ha Won notice his invaluable prototype AI device had been stolen?

Seo Woo is a garbage person. First she STOLE the prototype AI device while (illegally) rummaging through Won's home. Then she got caught entering his house again and lied her way out of it. Then when the grieving husband begged her for the chance to listen to his dead wife's voice one last time she left him to suffer. and yeh, she's also a bit of a psycho, apparently thinking a speech mimic program is alive.

I found this drama frustratingly annoying. I wanted to live it, but there were so many parts that drove me crazy. The double standards, the hiding of information, the wishy washy sae woo (female lead)... it was a little too much. She trusted “Mr.Dawn”, but withheld information from him. In the end she said he should talk to in wook and the “niece” should’ve opened the door and let him into the studio so that they can talk. But earlier, when in wook was headed to the house to the lead guy’s house, she prevented that from happening. And she’s made to look like a saint at all times for her irrational decisions. And ji soo suddenly saying in the end that she had peace, that wasn’t how she treated him in the beginning before she left. She was still angry with him. The writers tried to wrap it up cleanly but a lot of the made up ends just frustrated me. And I still don’t see when ha won’s love for ji soo ended.

Ahh it was a good drama...

I miss this show so much. When it aired originally I read one passed off comment that it was just another Jung Hae-In role like Something in the Rain or One Spring Night so I passed it by. What a mistake. This is one of my favorite shows of the year. Thanks for all the wonderful recaps and thoughtful commentary.

And if anyone has recommendations for other shows with this same quality (quiet, heartfelt, lack of melodrama, wonderful writing) please share them.