Premiere Watch: Will You Have Dinner With Me, Sweet Munchies
There’s so much dining, eating, munching, and snacking happening in dramaland right now, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t getting a little confused. Also hungry. This week we have two more to add to our drama repertoire, and though they seem quite different in tone, they both have the same common denominator: food. So grab your munchies, and let’s go!
Will You Have Dinner With Me
Time slot: Monday & Tuesday
Genre: Romance, healing
Episode count: 32 (35 minute episodes)
Reasons to watch: When I heard the premise for Will You Have Dinner With Me, I couldn’t help but think it sounded like an alternate universe version of Let’s Eat, where our heroine famously struggled getting a table for one. In Will You Have Dinner With Me, our leads (Song Seung-heon and Seo Ji-hye) are accidentally seated together one day, and then become dinner mates. I love this premise as much as I love dramas that bring people together over food and show us their hearts, so I’m hopeful that this will be subtle and lovely. But, I’m also expecting a little bit of an old school drama feel, too, with our character quadrangle and ever-present first love drama. If it’s done right, Will You Have Dinner With Me will be delicious — just like the cuisine I’m ready to watch them eat.
Time slot: Monday & Tuesday
Episode count: 12
Reasons to watch: The drama formerly known as Midnight Snack Couple is now going by the official English title Sweet Munchies. And speaking of sweet munchies, Jung Il-woo is headlining (as if you didn’t already know)! He plays a man with a secret running a late-night snack restaurant — and you can see why it sounds a bit like JTBC’s other current food-centric drama, Mystic Pop-up Bar. However, that one is zany fantasy, and Sweet Munchies is a bit more down to earth. Jung Il-woo agrees to join a new variety show run by Kang Ji-yong in an effort to save his restaurant, and after that, it’s drama lift-off! Sweet Munchies is billed as a rom-com, so I’m expecting it to be a good balance of fun and swoon. Jung Il-woo would be interesting on screen even if he was just brushing his teeth, so I’m happy to have him back in dramaland (and the kitchen)!
- Jung Il-woo and Kang Ji-young experience career-threatening crisis in Midnight Snack Couple teaser
- Dance party at Jung Il-woo’s restaurant in new teaser for Midnight Snack Couple
- Character stills for JTBC’s Midnight Snack Couple with Jung Il-woo, Kang Ji-young, and Lee Hak-joo
- Song Seung-heon, Seo Ji-hye enjoy dinner together in new MBC drama
- New stills from healing romance Will You Have Dinner With Me
- Jung Il-woo to play chef in SBS rom-com Midnight Snack Couple
- Lee Ji-hoon, Seo Ji-hye, Sohn Na-eun join cast of Will You Have Dinner With Me
- Song Seung-heon turns into a food psychologist in MBC’s Will You Have Dinner With Me