Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

chickachunga

Extracurricular: I really, really enjoyed watching this! It kind of reminded me of HBO’s Euphoria crossed with Breaking Bad. A truly impressive debut from rookie writer Jin Han-sae and strong performances all around from the young cast, as well as Choi Min-soo who conveys everything you need to know with a mere glance or his presence. The series has you rooting for the two main protagonists until you come to the startling realization that what they’re doing is and always has been completely illegal, full stop. Dark, gritty, thrilling, and funny at times…definitely worth a binge. While I think there’s enough loose ends for a second season, and I’d love to see the scary talented actors reprise their roles, I’m in the end-on-a-high-note-rather-than-an-extra-season camp. But hey, if Netflix does greenlight a second season, I’ll be there!

Hospital Playlist: Jo Jung-seok ♥. That is all!

abirdword

Oh My Baby: Just watched the first episode, and I can’t deny that on a really shallow level I would like this show a lot more if Jang Nara wasn’t sporting the exact quarantine mullet that I am currently stuck with. That aside, I think I’m a victim of my own expectations. This is goofier than I anticipated, and I am a little disappointed that Ha-ri isn’t a stubborn career girl completely against marriage, and instead just an unlucky-in-love type. I think the show will be really compelling for someone looking for this story, but it’s not what I was hoping for going in.

Mystic Pop-up Bar: I watched the first episode of this as well and while I want to love it, in so many ways the story feels like a poor man’s Hotel del Luna. I like the cast a lot, but it feels like it’s missing that something that makes it unique. I do appreciate that Wol-ju’s powers are related to vengeance, making her path to redemption a little more gray than obviously good or bad. But I might just be satisfied a super cut of all of Choi Won-young’s scenes.

missvictrix

Currently weecapping: When My Love Blooms

Mystic Pop-up Bar: Went in pretty blind and came out of the first episode semi-interested, I guess…? It’s wacky, I’ll give it that. One thing I definitely loved? Hwang Jung-eum’s costumes (that emerald green hanbok, drool!) and all the fantastic, vibrant colors throughout, and especially in the pocha. Okay, that’s not one thing but two, but that’s what stood out to me. The rest? Still deciding.

The King: Eternal Monarch: I’m starting to feel pressured to pick this up again just for the “PPL Monarch” aspect. Do I dare?

quirkycase

Currently recapping: The King: Eternal Monarch

Good Casting: I wish I found the whole “Michael” mystery (of any of the bad guys, really) more interesting. But since I’m here for the antics and less for the spy stuff, it’s not that big of a deal. One thing that is really grating on me, though, is Woo-won’s character. Haven’t we had enough of the spoiled man-child who falls for the sweet, innocent woman? I really like Ye-eun, so I’m upset she’s been paired with this stereotypical, entitled bully who can’t express himself. Maybe it’ll be a one-sided crush, and they won’t force a romance. Yeah … I’m not holding my breath.

Mystic Pop-up Bar: I wasn’t sure what to expect, but the premiere episodes were fun. There’s a definite Hotel del Luna vibe; it’s whimsical and even has a mysterious woman with a dramatic backstory serving out her punishment by helping people. I don’t usually care for Hwang Jung-eum, but her over-the-top style works better here. I hope we get to see more awful people get their comeuppance (like that gross boss) because that was cathartic.

selena

Mystic Pop-up Bar: Ah, fantasy and wacky comedy — should be a recipe for success! Add in Yook Sung-jae, and I’m sold. I am especially loving the rich colors that fill my screen and the score that vaguely reminds me of Harry Potter. The premise of the show has a lot of potential and I’m looking forward to the hi-jinks that our main trio will get up to while trying to fill up the 100,000 people quota. It’d better be the type of feel-good human drama that makes you laugh and cry!

Tags: , , , , , ,

Good Casting: I continue with judicious fast-forwarding.

Someday or One Day: It had a lull in the pacing but things are coming together now. This might be the rare drama that makes sense of its fantasy component.

Old School Intern: I haven't started this but I think I am going to do something I rarely do. That is read the recap of the first episodes and then jump in the 2nd weeks episodes. I've heard the bullying is severe, and I just cannot watch that stuff. I'm hoping this is young and old coming to terms, joining together and having some heart as they deal with the corporate world. We'll see.

Good casting should have its name changed into Good FF. I’m with you on this one.

Yeah, I think the whole Michael story is blah. Isn't it the same type thing as what was in Terrius or even the early Mission Impossible movie? I actually think focusing on the three gals personal lives would have worked better without the other hijinks, but I am not hate watching it or anything. There are little chunks here and there that work for me. Just very uneven.

I think that the show from the start should have had "Who is Michael" as the driving force. Since it's been adding random sub filler plots, the story has gotten clunky.

This being pre-produced which meant less time constraints and such should have made for something more cohesive.

Oh well, it has what 6 more episodes left (Not counting this week). And it left on that cliffhanger, so I hope we see more take off soon. The things I'll continue to watch for actors I like lol :(

Lol thankfully I found someone else who also thinks that SD1D had some pacing issues. It gets better in the second half and is overall very smart and well done but I didn't enjoy it as much as everyone else did because I felt for several episodes only the cliffhangers were interesting rather than the whole episode.

JAPAN -

Koi Dance - TBS is airing We Married as a Job and each week uploading the same dance and trailer video on youtube. 1.8million views fir last week. woah. I'm enjoying it.

I don't like to rewatch as i already know what gonna happen next, what is the outcome and what i already felt.

Peanut Butter Sandwich - 7/10 - manga to live-action. i was waiting for it. Just 24 min per episode. fast and eventful watch. I'm enjoying this. Abe trying hard to make couples marry and reproduce to increase young population. It has become a trend in manga since his 2nd batting. Japanese media do lot of favours to political spectrum.

@Screentime - i avoid violence dramas. I've feeble heart and like to stay away from -ve violent stuff. That's why i didn't watch that show. Though, i really enjoy Kindaichi where someone is send to st. peter every episode.

Little boy or not but this hot summer surely is testing all my physical and mental limits. real time real life reality tv show i'm in

Korea -

Trope dopelist - 6/10
King's Fling - 4/10
Veg Chicken - 4/10
Once again -

Ru Taiwan Express - 6/10 - Haru.

Chinese -

My Love Enlighten Me - 4/10 - usual chinese trash. watching it only for the heroine. Atleast she has semblance of a character than her counterparts ditz.

Love Designer - 4/10 - nothing intersting or original. still liked hero n heroine in 1st 2 episodes.
Intense Love - 3/10 - utter trash. An actress n heroine in her late twenties acting like a barbie girl. putting bimbos to shame.
My Dear Lady - 3/10 - horrible 1st episode. it makes you puke.
Beautifil Flower - 3/10 - trash

King's Fling - I'm enjoy it. For completely different reasons. I don't put much value into k+cn forced romance nonsense. physical intimacy shenanigans aren't love. writer think that way and their reasoning is this is what audience demands. makes sense to a part.
I think King has good concept and mateial. better than writers previous medicre works but this shows reeks of pseudo intellectualism. Atleast this writer gives some character to its heroines. the only merit that you can count. Such a low bar this hack of a writer has set and audience isn't of much help.

Hero marching on a white horse with sword of justice - such a cringe prince charming scene that wins the heart of teenage audience.

Much more can be said but i'll it at this point

Veg. ramen - veg. omelette veg. biryani - shukriya.

Eamen company - marketing department comes up with that tagline and ad? surely that ad scene is top level cring and streotyping a nation n its media. It clearly is a parody as its shown audience all over world enjoying that ad when its only marketed for india. But that ad also is so truly did things so right that you can imagine this ad being made in reality by an advertising company. 1 more thing to notice is the cover/ packaging of veg. chicken and how hero shows it - very similar to Tobacco products that sell in india. Google their ads.

As much as I didn't think I would, I'm enjoying Eternal PPL too. This week is the best so far, we actually have some plot development.

@catocat

We all have our limits and what to avoid. In that vein, also best to avoid "The Devil's Attorney". TDA is showing how to work audience expectation. It allows you to guess, then instead of it being a fake, your guess becomes only the first step on a far more brutal reality. Its like falling down the rabbit hole.

All I can say is at the moment J is capable of going to such dark places without falling into the trap of being subsumed by it. Both TDA and Gourmet Detective go to where Hero and 99.9% feared to go. They appear to be shining a light on embedded fallacies in the stories we tell ourselves and then (more importantly) asking the next hard questions of Japanese accepted notions of justice.

P.S. Yuru Camp is the most joyous celebration of simple camping I have come across. I love the live action you get to see the ramshackle - unglamorous nature of many camp grounds. Also hadn't noticed how much overlap in the Venn diagram of the 2 girls there are and it is much clearer why they appear such kindred sprits in the outdoors.

Good Casting: The romance is the only thing I care about. The spy stuff is so stupid and uninspiring that it makes me not want to watch the drama at all.

Soul Repairer: I'm done. Jung So Min is far too good for this drama. The doctors are so freaking bad. They are genuinely terrible psychiatrists. This drama treats mental health cures like surgery. If you do this once or twice it will cure you. That is not how mental health works at all. Also the loveliness is so wildly inappropriate. Ugggggj

Mystic Pop Up Bar: It is fine. It isn't great or terrible, just fine. It is only 12 eps, so I'll watch.

Oh My baby: After he said this is bad, my ship SAILED. I'm in, plus he is so handsome.😋

Hospital Playlist:😍😍😍😍

Same feelings about Good FF.
So Mystic bar is only 12 episodes? I may give it a chance!

I am with you on the Really Bad Doctors in Soul Repairer. This so far is looking like another one of those dramas where the writer did little or no actual research and just went with a few social media tropes/fake facts.

I've been waiting for Oh My Baby subs to be completed to rewatch after watching it raw. I had been wondering what YS had said at the very end! My ship sailed some time ago. But I'm now further in deep waters after the last episode.

Thank you for joining me on this ship. I basically squealed when he said that.

Why must an actor I like be in something that has been not clicking with me?

I'm only catching up here and there because I like Seok-ho and LSY. I hope that he appears in a mini-series as the lead in something more interesting next time.

I tried to take up the weekender MOM HAS AN AFFAIR but gave up after the first 7 episodes. Too much tired old corporate politics with mostly mean and nasty people. Fortunately we do have one good weekender in ONCE AGAIN a family story whose characters actually stay true to themselves. Here is just one example of how the writing in ONCE AGAIN exceeds what we usually see in a weekender, delivering a special twist on a common trope- the makeover of the dowdy girl:

Towards the end of episode 32 the youngest sister Da-hee and her ex-brother-in-law Yoon Jae-seok have become friends who genuinely miss each other since the divorce of their respective siblings. Da-hee is the only Song family sibling who is not divorced- but only because she called off her marriage after she discovered her fiance cheating. She has always been dowdy and felt as if she, being the last born, was the sibling who had inherited no special gifts from her parents. When I heard her talk about this in the first episodes I just wanted to give her a hug and tell her that in fact with her wonderful heart the very best had been saved for the last.

All of which leads a wonderfully unexpected twist to the trope we all knew was coming: The makeover of Da-hee. Usually this happens either because the dowdy girl or her friends have decided to do something to catch the guy OR the nice guy wants to show her how beautiful she actually is (and the finds out that she is even more beautiful than he expected). But ONCE AGAIN delivers a more powerful punch by making this makeover happen because Da-hee is decides to do it for a completely unselfish reason: To help her friend Jae-seok, whose mom forced him to go on a blind date with a beautiful heiress. Unable to shake his date off he finds himself lined up for a second date- and asks Da-hee to help him by pretending to be his girlfriend- which Da-hee initially refuses. He keeps texting and hopes Da-hee will show up. And so we have a wonderful scene where, just as the heiress is about to get Jae-seok to confess to lying about having a girlfriend we hear Da-hee’s voice calling out to him- and the new Da-hee who is coming down the stairs is simply beautiful- and then she smiles and goes from beautiful to stunning. She makes the beautiful heiress look positively frumpy by comparison. The coolest thing about her makeover is how logically consistent it was with her character. Of course, even if she did not do it to get the guy based upon the look on Jae-seok’s face she has succeeded there as well: he was already more than half-way in love with her before this but it might have taken him years to get the rest of the way there. It takes about 2 seconds instead.

My wife stumbled upon WIND CLOUD AND RAIN, which is carried on Viki as KINGMAKER: CHANGE OF DESTINY. This is a Sageuk set in the late Joseon period about one full generation before MR. SUNSHINE. It may turn out to be every bit as good- the first episode was excellent...

MYSTIC POP UP BAR looks like a winner after just the first episode. It is a different story from HOTEL DEL LUNA and yet has a similar vibe. I thought that the first episode was well put together.

HOSPITAL PLAYLIST continues to rock.

That should be WIND AND CLOUD AND RAIN.

Mom Has an Affair is a daily, Mon-Fri. Those are about 120 eps, half an hour long each... and usually makjang. 😆

Thank you for noting that- and now I am even happier that I dropped it. Good makjang is good drama- GRACEFUL FAMILY being a good example. This was simply distasteful and sloppy.

Daily has a different dynamic... and production value 😆 than we are used to from the evening dramas. I'm sometimes in the mood and watch a bit here and there (and yes, usually drop 😆). Not all of them are classical makjangs, there is for example currently airing Brilliant Heritage which leans more towards family weekenders.

I love Once Again. Da-hee doesn't need to study, it's not her thing but she could work for city hall or some children care centre with people, but for that you need to pass the state exam😔 Maybe as the perfect daughter in law she could take over The Coffee and Cake business. I love their dad. When something goes wrong he's talking about the household's water and electricity expenses.

If you think Mom Has an Affair is bad, try Fatal Promise...
I occasionally watch episodes of both with finger on the FF button just to see the totally insane makjang and the spectacle of a whole bunch of really stupid people doing endlessly stupid things for really stupid reasons and the endless backstabbing. Not to mention the often really bad acting and ridiculous assumptions the characters make (I saw xx and yy in the same city, they must be having an affair!!).

I gave up on FATAL PROMISE after one episode.

You have made me really interested in checking out Once Again.

I love your point about her transformation being consistent with her character traits thus far, it was in the goodness of her heart rather than for vanity!

I mean, should we be surprised though? The writer for Once Again wrote some gems, Familiar Wife, Weightlifting Fairy, Oh My Ghost, and High School King!

Oh this flew under my radar. I'm not a weekend drama person but they are occasionally nice. And if it's by this writer then it must be good.

Mind you its 50 episodes which I'm like :O about, so it might drag later but rn its been good with the pacing of the script. A lot of people have said this gives them Father is Strange vibes, the same PD for that show produced this one.

It's almost at the halfway mark, 3 more months lol. It better be good all the way through, looking at the writer and PD to be consistent with this.

There are plenty of twists available for this story so it should continue to be good.

I liked WEIGHTLIFTING FAIRY and OH MY GHOST so your point is well taken.

@oldawyer, you make me want to watch ONCE AGAIN just for this couple and Da-hee's character.

I'm enjoying Once Again immensely. I wish there were more weekenders like this. It's my happy drama.

A discovery of this week - a crazy comedy The Romance of Tiger and Rose. I'm laughing like never 😁 Mind you, this is not about stellar performances or a brilliant plot, no no. This is a simple comedy based on gender reverse of a classical chinese ancient wuxia setting and I'm enjoying the gender switch, with a powerful Queen, a warrior Princess, silly male-maids and beautiful musicians in the entertainment house 😁 The gender reversal is mainly there for the comedy, though they do time to time poke into our expectations and prejudices. The premise is simple - a screenwriter wakes up inside her chinese ancient drama as a minor character who was supposed to die pretty early. She is trying her best to survive till end of the drama, hoping she will get kicked back to her real world then. She is not the smartest one... and so isn't the main hero and together they can form an entertaining duo (with all their hidden agendas and misunderstandings).
There is also a hilarious scene at the beginning when the heroine, still as a screenwriter, tries to talk to the main actor, our hero, and the conversation is constantly being interrupted by his flying up and down on the wires. It's simple and silly... and I laughed like crazy 😆

As for the rest, loving Oh My Baby - the comedy (ha, when the three men try to avoid Hari's attention 😁), the serious questions it poses (with vulnerable Jang Nara at centre 💕)... and also the romance (I loooove how Yisang is falling for Hari as a photographer... as a colleague... and as a soul-mate...)

King - still haven't finished ep.10. I think I have tried 4 times already?

I will definitely try THE ROMANCE OF TIGER AND ROSE.

Just keep your expectations low, it really is simple and silly.... I'm having a blast though 😁

Right now simple and silly is a good thing to have.

"I loooove how Yisang is falling for Hari as a photographer... as a colleague... and as a soul-mate..." - can't agree more!

Looking forward to Ep 5 of Oh My baby.

Thank you for sharing The Romance of Tiger and Rose. Your enthusiastic review made me put it on my watch list.

Add me to your list of converts to The Romance of Tiger and Rose. I started watching tonight and it's exactly the right dose of lightness and silliness I need this long weekend.

For a low budget web drama, I think tiger and rose exceed my expectation. I'm struggling with Winter Begonia (due to its gloomy mood) so tiger and rose helped me get through it. And like you, I enjoyed every second of comedy in tiger and rose. I hope it stayed true to this theme (just like Eternal Love)

re: Tiger & Rose, I actually really love the plot. Most often, people confound "complicated" with "complex", and "complex" with "good". This is a story that is clearly built from event to event, conflict to conflict, joke to joke. You can't fully appreciate the development of characters (e.g., the second princess) if you don't know the context, and you can't laugh at certain jokes if you haven't seen the previous ones (e.g. Han Shuo's delusion that she loves him gets funnier and funnier every single time as his feelings deepen and she's still on the "I need you to survive" page).

Unlike most romcoms, the stakes are high, and believable: all the characters' goals are tied to life and death, and with empathetic motivations as well. When the characters are in danger, I really believe they are (and they get hurt!) We know they will get out of it somehow, but how? The conflicts and predicaments are interesting, and difficult to figure a way out (e.g. the Crown Princess Selection).

In this way, I would say the plot is brilliant!

I have only seen 5 episodes, thus can't say much about the overarching plot yet... for now I would say it is Comedy Brilliant? 🙂 For example I love the Orange role and acting 😂

Good Casting. Why I’m still watching this nonsense. Don’t answer. I know I said it’s because of Ye Eun, but even her is beginning not to be enough. So, so, so hard to watch, even when FF. I have to say this show is not a women’s show just because the main characters are three women. Women are clearly shown from a man’s perspective.

When my love blooms. I’m still in. I love the path, and the past story. I really want to know what kind of noble idiocy made JiSoo leave JaeHyun when their feelings were so strong.

I continue my watch of I’m not a robot and Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo. I’m on episode 13 of both. Whenever I’m watching one I feel I’m betraying the other. I’m having so much fun and can’t hardly decide which love story is the sweetest. Thanks so much to all the beanies who wrote about this two in their walls during this DramaChallenge. I’ve always wanted to watch them, but I had been putting them on hold and it was all your posts about them that helped me make my mind.

And after so many praises about Oh my baby in the beanie wall, I’ve decided to watch. I also wanted to give it a try to Wind and cloud or rain or King Maker: The change of destiny according to Viki because of Koo Sung Hee and Sung Hyuk, but I have to get over a couple of issues. I’ll tell you next week.

Same feeling for When my love blooms. I'm so much invested in this!!

Hey Can anyone recommend me some good crime thrillers? I used to watch a lot of kdramas 2 years before but after that, I took a break. I thought there will be a lot of them when I came back. But I can't find many. I have seen Nobody Knows, Tell me what you saw (I didn't like this one) and that horror one The cursed, recently. Anything else??
Also, I wish DB will update their drama rating list.

Watcher?
I've dropped it after 2 eps, because it was too thrillery and I'm a scaredy cat 🙈... but many people praised it and seeing what you watched you could like it.

And have you seen Tunnel?

Recently watched Signal and Watcher, liked both a lot. Extracurricular is really good too

Yeah, Tunnel I have seen it. I dropped watcher after initial few eps, don't remember why.
I will pick it up again.
THanku.

Yes, Watchers are good - not to mention all three leads are doing a mighty fine job.

Children's of Nobody.

Was hoping someone mentioned this one! I'm thinking of rewatching it sometime soon.

Yep, such a solid drama.

I have seen this. 8/10 plot/acting/mysteries

Stranger (Forest of Secrets, Secrets)
Signal
Tunnel
Remember
Tell Me What You Saw
Possessed
Phantom (Ghost)
Mrs Cop
Heartless City
Voice (1st season, 2nd not so good).
Life on Mars
See a full list of crime dramas on Wikipedia (no recommendations, just a list) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:South_Korean_crime_television_series

Most but not all are available on either NetFlix or Viki. But a few you may have to resort to an "alternative" site.

Life on Mars!

Stranger is one of the best dramas I've ever watched (k-drama or otherwise). It's seriously good.

The drama I would recommend to watch to anyone, whether they love dramas or haven't seen one in their whole life.

Thanku windsun. I have seen some. The rest I will check out.

Life on Mars is great - not just from a crime thriller perspective but overall in the way it builds its universe too + the acting is stellar.
Also really liked Memorist - though the plot is pretty convoluted and it requires patience, the payoff at the end was really well done.
If you're willing to expand to legal thrillers, would suggest Lawless Lawyer and Confession.

I have seen Life of Mars. It was great.
I found Lawless Lawyer very flimsy though it had its moments. The confession was nice but lacking in something I don't exactly remember now. FL's role was pretty nonexistent.

How about 365: Repeat the Year? It is not exactly a procedural drama but you will probably enjoy the mysteries and twists it offered.

I have seen the name. WIll try out. Thanks

Lookout, if you haven't seen it. Great acting, great characters, and heart-pumping OST.

lookout was good. I really enjoyed it.

Looking at my log some of the recent (over the last couple of years) crime/mystery dramas I can recommend:
THE GAME: TOWARDS ZERO (Viki)
PSYCHOPATH DIARY (Viki)
MR. TEMPORARY (Viki)
WATCHER (Viki)
KILL IT (Viki)
DOCTOR PRISONER (Viki)

I think people already recommended a lot, but personally last year's best crime thriller for me was Watcher and The Lies Within.

I still need to watch Watcher but The Lies Within is worth it mainly for the acting performances, especially Lee Min-ki's.

Wow I haven't heard of that drama. Thanks so much.

I recommend Return and Life on Mars~

Mystic Pop Up Bar
Bwahahahaha... they sold me with their 2 first episodes, hope the rest are as good or get better than these two.

The story goes well, the casts are good, and mostly the wittiness about society right now compare to what happened in Joseon era. For example how the use of delivery service makes pop up bar less attractive (especially when there is social distancing), or netizens love to write hate comments to replace stabbing someone with (real) sword, and many others. They give me good chuckles and laughs.

We never know what problem that other has. On the outside, they may be employee of the month, a good caring mother with no problem whatsoever, but what about on the inside?

Some parts of the story, really relatable to me. So, I enjoy watching it.

C-drama: Chinatown Detective (2020) and Legend of Awakening
Others: Endeavor and Home Before Dark

Also watching: The King: Eternal Monarch / When My Love Blooms

Hospital Playlist (Episode 11)
In true Reply style, the viewers continue to get baited when it comes to the romance aspect. I don’t know if I’ll be up for an open ending much less the rabid shippers but it might just happen given the multiple seasons. Of course, the writer could troll everyone by having Song Hwa rejecting all her suitors and remaining single but the production team will lose all that Netflix money due to the outrage so I wouldn’t bet on that. In other news, I’m so glad seeing Jun Wan / Je Hak’s Tom and Jerry relationship prosper through the show: Jung Moon Sung got the best non-leading role for sure!

Mystic Pop-up Bar (Episode 1-2)
The setup reminds me a lot of Hotel Del Luna, except this time round the male lead does get development and there is a clear and defined punishment for the female lead (which is also probably the number of procedurals we’ll see). I’m a little wary about the injustice that occurred in the past since it’s a bridge we’ll have to cross sooner or later with maybe the Crown Prince’s reincarnation (the male leads are suspicious for sure). However, given the pre-production as well as only 12 episodes to air plus no excessive side characters, I’m feeling hopeful about getting a satisfying story to watch.

Old School Intern (Episode 1-4)
After all the drama Park Hae Jin went through in the past 3 years (I didn’t watch Forest but many Beanies saw it as a disaster), I definitely did have a little bit of sympathy for him to find the right show. I’m not quite sure whether he has found it in this one so far: the power reversal is great but the stereotypical company politics threaten to ruin all the comedy. I actually wished they wrote Man Shik with a little more nuance in the past and didn’t have him recognise Yeol Chan right away so that we can cheer for their bonding moving forward and have more hijinks but it just was not to be.

Oh My Baby (Episode 3-4)
I think the show has found its groove after the rocky premiere that had terminal illnesses and character caricatures. It was quite interesting to see both Ha Ri and her mother’s viewpoints during the argument which were both valid in their own right, though of course the mother’s perspective is the one that society agrees with. There were still many classic rom-com developments: we can’t be lovers because we’re a family, can a guy and a girl live together and not have any feelings, Yi Sang sniffing out competitors and being jealous while falling in love with Ha Ri. But I don’t mind watching it.

Hospital Playlist 🥰
- Jo Jung Suk + Yoo Yeon Seok + a great ensemble cast
* need I say more?

Tokyo Love Story 2020
- Dreading that it will be the 1991 ending all over again 😭

When My Love Blooms
- Planning to start when I think my heart is ready to handle it... 🥺

Mystic Pop-up Bar: 9.5 The revised Chun-Hyang legend in day 1 only took a minute or two, but it was worth more than a hour of most shows. I had to look up the Heungbu story just before that. Wikipedia is your friend.

The King: Eternal Monarch: 7.7 Finally getting its act together!?

Good Casting: 8.5 The current-day stuff varies from ok to great. The flashbacks to the FL's past have gotten stale and boring. They'd better have some big payoff planned.

Kingmaker the Change of Destiny / Wind and Cloud and Rain: 7.5 (Rating the show, not the cast's history). Set in the 1800s -- can the girl who sees peoples' fates see what's going to happen to Korea if they don't get off their complacent Confucian asses and start modernizing???

Hi Bye Mama: 8.0 Day 11 - tell me again why I set this aside for weeks just before the best day so far. Argh!

No, Eternal Monarch is so riddled with flaws at this point, it's impossible for any "act" to be gotten together. I really am rooting for a fan to do a 6-hour re-edit at some point, because I think there IS a show in here... somewhere. It's just like someone dropped the stack of scripts when running to the set, they blew all over the street, kindly strangers helped gather them all up and tried to put them in some semblance of order but the director was waiting and the writer said "GOOD ENOUGH!" and handed the entire mess over.

And then the director spent hours on slow-mo shots. And the editor decided to jazz things up by mixing up the sequencing of the shots. And then Miranda started drinking straight-up soju when logging into Netflix because it might help things make more sense at this point.

I mainly FF Good Casting. But I like the parts I don't (mainly involving Ye Eun).
And Hi Bye Mama... well I loved the show, but maybe it spent a couple of episodes going round and round (aka nowhere) when it should have been focusing in characters healing and learning to say goodbye.

Genuinely curious if there's a formula to your rating system? I notice you assign 7.7 for The King, not 7.5 or 8.0?

Just thought it was a bit better than Kingmaker but not quite as good as the episode of Hi Bye Mama that I (finally) watched.

The closest I come to a "system" is when I drop a show in the middle of the first episode and the score indicates how long I lasted -- 2.3 would mean I lasted 23 minutes, etc.

MYSTIC POP-UP BAR: As I said before, it has the Hotel de Luna premise with a small side dish of Pegasus Market. It may work if the guest star performances continue to shine in tight, self-contained, good stories.
SOUL MECHANIC/FIX ME/HOUSE LITE: The medical (and now legal) ethical lapses are bogging down the story and leaving a bad impression. Are all the doctors scarred by psychological issues? Jung So Min's acting is above the rest of the cast, but her character is now stuck in an emotional loop.
ONCE AGAIN: After weeks of failure, there are small glimmers of success. For a predictable weekender, it is better than most.
SNOWPIERCER (US/Episode 1): I did not see the movie, but the high production values makes the series a hopeful sci-fi series. The theme of class struggle and cruelty is not new but it is concentrated in a Big Brother micro-world confined on a train that can never stop (which in itself needs an explanation). The plot twist at the end was not a surprise.
Variety:
FUN RESTAURANT: Full episodes are back and the recipes are getting bigger and bolder. Lee Yuri is so goofy that she deserves to be a regular.
HOW DO YOU PLAY? Stumbled across last week's episode where JS meets up with old friend, Lee Hyori, to form a summer dance group. Their entertainment chemistry was the highlight of the show.

The King Ep1-10 - Still here for the 2 WDHs and the hilarious PPL.

Oh My Baby Ep 1 - I tried for Jang Nara but goofy humor and jerk male lead made me run away.

TWOTM A perfect ending. It’s so uncommon for kdramas to even manage to have decent endings that I am very surprised. I thought it would be good but nowhere near this. It’s also a lesson on how to make open endings that respect the story and exist to send a message and not to be a twist or to please everyone who might get anything they want out of the unsaid.

2gether Ep1-8 - The premise is so silly, almost dropped after first ep but the main couple is nice, I wonder why every Thai BL seems to have those random, boring, two extra couples.

Born Again Too many psychos in a basket. The FL isn't just strange, she is weirder than the psychos in this show.

Mystic Bar Ep 1 - It does remind me of HdL but in a very good way! I like HJE but she is a bit loud sometimes, it would be funnier if she was her grumpy, angry self, but realistic like the others.

You should try watch more for Oh My Baby. I completed all the 4 episode and the story does make sence now. And you will definitely like that Jerk male lead!!

Second week was better than the first one 🙂 I now like nearly everyone in the show. I also like that despite the comedy they are not simplifying things and they show different perspectives.

I'm a picky customer @bunnybean but the challenge is accepted, jerk will get one more chance. :P

Hahaha!! You will not regret it I'm sure 👍

Yes, give him a chance! 🙂
(And I'm curious about your reaction at the end of eps 4 😉)

I'll get back to you. :P

🙂 🙂

@dorotka @bunnybean

The next 3 eps were better but still not amusing. I like HaRi but detest everyone around her, including SK's ridiculous prejudice against women in general. The one thing good about this show is that it is maybe trying to discuss this, mostly the prejudice against single parents and unmarried women, but on the other hand there is something very old-fashioned in it. Every woman in this wants children, every guy seems indifferent to the idea. The comedy is all about putting the heroine in unlikely embarrassing situations, as if she is a puppy, needs to be kicked so the audience can like her better and agree with her plans, instead of that, they should discuss that single people are not allowed to adopt and that's why she is not even considering the idea. I don't like any of guys and she deserves better than these 3 stooges. One is almost a child, the friend is not ready for another relationship, he doesn't even know how to raise his own kid, and the older guy is still the worst of them. He keeps being sold as the guy who hates marriage, kids and even women, as if he's some kind of prize when he's very immature. He heard her date conversation even though he knew it was embarrassing for her, maybe because of that, and later tried to go to the rescue with that silly umbrella and that smirk on his face. Fortunately she called him up on that. He also seem to relate to her a bit as a mother, the 2 moments when he is shown admiring her she is playing the mother role. Maybe he just needs therapy? She wants one baby not two.

@lixie, ideally those embarrassing moments wouldn't have been embarrassing is she would be in any other country. They are trying to show that what she was doing was not wrong, it's just the society which is making a big fuss about it. For Yi-sang, I would just say, that he isn't considering himself to be getting into any relationship Considering his own misfortune with his early relationship, so he is just trying pretty hard to avoid women at all cost. But once he was interested in Ha-Ri, he took the moment and tried to understand her better. He also supported her in her most embarrassing moments without judging her!
I liked the way Ha-Ri is putting up with all the nonsense behavior of her surrounding society and sticking up with her decision, but in so many moments we can clearly see why she was so desperate to be a mom and doesn't want a normal married and happy family kind of things. There were also scenes where her most sincere behavior was also failed to reach to the society and boycott her. These are sensitive issues where people accepts single moms which are ditched by probably their manipulative partners but they can't accept a lady who really wants to achieve motherhood so she can live for someone? Isn't it too hypocritical?
In the end, I like the way both guys supporter her. But thanks for atleats giving the show a chance!!

Sorry to hear @lixie that this show doesn't work for you. I really like it and probably see things differently, I also see nothing wrong with wanting to have own kid and feeling it growing inside the tummy... And I also appreciate the show's guts (being a Korean drama) to stick to the heroine's plan to find a sperm donor and not looking for a man. But hey, that's just my view, and if you don't like the drama, just drop it with no regrets 🙂 and find something you will like 💕

Oh come on, @lixie isn't Born Again a little bit compelling, even with all the psychos and the confusion about who is the hero and who is the villain? I so want Lee Soo Hyuk to be the good guy here who gets the girl, but each of the three main characters metamorph from one side of good to the side of evil from time to time. Really though, this is currently the show I look forward to watching each week (so far) even though I wonder, "How could she/he do that and still be the person I think she/he is?" Maybe that is what draws me to the show each week.

@zzthorn Yes, it was compelling, it still is, but the last 2 eps were a let down. The psycho fiancee is one weirdo too many in a show that already had many things to explain, besides she is cartoonish while the leads are trying to play more naturally. I don't think show can have any heroes anymore, CJB tried to kill the prosecutor and his own brother, the FL has a hero complex and no real values, and prosecutor thinks killing or arresting bad guys justifies any of his means. I don't mind any of that, I like their terrible personalities but show doesn't seem to know which story it wants to tell so they keep getting into violent events and it goes in circles. The teaser had some hints that maybe this week there will be more to the story.

i'm still so confused... can these 3 die again and start over?

Would you recommend 2gether? I've heard of it but haven't watched it. I compare everything to SOTUS.

Have you checked out Where Your Eyes Linger? Viki's trying their hand at Korean BL

Yes, if you don't mind the silly premise. One of the guys has a stalker and he tries to make the other lead pretend to be his boyfriend so he can get rid of his crazy fan. It's not logical and you'll have to ignore that.
I'm curious about this Korean BL, I think it's a movie being sold as drama.

That's why the episodes are so short 🤦🏽‍♀️

Born Again: Oh, good. Someone else who thinks all the main leads are psycho. I wouldn't rec'd any of them being reincarnated again. But then that's what I find fascinating about the drama, no ultra good guy, no ultra bad guy, (well actually there seem to be several bad guys). It would be a refreshing change of pace to have it end with the three leads (two male, one female) stay psycho.
2gether: I loved the main couple, they're adorable. Didn't pay any attention whatsoever to any plot/main storyline since they're pretty much all the same.

They would come back, they would need to live dozens of lives to unpsycho. :P

The jerk turns out to be THE best.

I have been so busy at work that I've been watching little and writing even less. Since the last time I wrote I finished Welcome which gave me another extra bean to give to my drama of the year I have yet to find and Find Me In Your Memory which went all the way with bad guy after bad guy and obstacle after obstacle but the cuteness of the couple and their love for each other saved this. But I still loathe these unnecessary separations and time jumps. I have also randomly ran into a 10 minute Innisfree CF web drama called Summer Love with Lee Min Ho and Yoona which was cliched but cute. Didn't like LMH's hair color though and his styling there made me appreciate his looks in the King even more.

I'm still a week behind The King: Eternal Monarch but things seemed to have improved. This is sadly one of those missed opportunity dramas. It could have been a really high stakes, suspense and action filled drama but the baddies still bore me to tears, I don't care for the murder mysteries and as the romance was not well developed I feel no anxiety for this couple who may be separated by different worlds forever every time they say goodbye so the story is still at best meh. The comedy of doppelgangers and different worlds is at times there but came too little too late. And the Fringe vibe I got in the beginning is getting stronger as we find one of the main characters has been transported from one world to the other to replace his sick version. Kim Eun Seok must be a Fringe fan.

I am behind with Once Again and intend to start Oh My Baby but Mystic Pop-up Bar seemed a pale version of Hotel del Luna to me with leads I don't particularly like even on paper.

@abirdword, I am with you 100% on Oh My Baby! Jang Nara’s haircut just adds to her undynamic character for me and I disliked all the guys. I opted out after 1 1/2.

Ep 1 doesn't do justice to this drama - all three guys are fine (but the younger one is too clueless to be believable) and Jang Nara's character not a doormat either.

Mystic Pop-up Bar: I didn't care for Hotel Del Luna so poor man's Hotel Del Luna didn't do a lot for me. I don't mind case of the week formats but the cases have to be interesting and not make me want to scream at the tv.

Oh My Baby: I liked the premiere week but Episodes 3 and 4 were even better. I never knew I needed Go Joon in a rom-com.

Hospital Playlist: I don't mind the husband hunting, as I guess fans call it, but I wish it didn't involve so many mentors and mentees. Thank goodness for Jun-wan and Do Jae-hak.

The King: I complain about this drama every week, so today I'll just say that Episode 11 was a bit better.

Re HOSPITAL PLAYLIST. I know what you are saying. One of the nice things about this drama is that we are not bogged down with internal hospital politics. The romance angles have been played up particularly in the last few episodes. In a drama like this with so much tragedy just around the corner the writer has to find a way to lighten things up. We will see how part one of HP will wrap up this Thursday.
I know I am definitely in a minority here but i want to see Jung-won packing his bags to go to Italy and pursue his dream of the priesthood. Lol, didn't Jong-su tell Rosa to let her son go and that she could hang out with him.
(O/T but maybe Yoo Yeon-seok has to cut out from HP so he join the cast of RD,TK 3.)

Oh My Baby, unexpectedly, delves into some thorny topics as it goes into more episodes. There's slapstick humor, there's cringe comedy, then there's pointed social critique.

Fix You/Soul Mechanic just doesn't seem very well written. Jung So-min is certain up to the task but she's not given much to work with. Shin Ha-kyun plays a 'fantasy doctor' only seen on TV who shows up in front of a stranger's house to check on their emotional state.

I'm late to the party, I had forgotten about Stove League. Now I'm playing through the episodes. Five stars, thumbs up, all that stuff.

Eccentric! Chef Moon isn't so much a series as a random collection of overused tropes, from amnesia to cute orphan child to colorful villagers to evil chaebols.

The King - I'm still watching this even after complaining for so many things. But the funny PPL and our eye candy Do hwan are the real motivation and shin jae too. I really hope, it become better in coming episodes.

When My Love Blooms - I really really love this. I like the acting of all the 4 leads and their never ending love.

Oh My Baby - I only watched this because of the interesting concept and Jang Nara. But I'm totally rewarded. The story totally makes sence and also the background of the leads are giving us the clear idea about their present behavior. This is the first time I am watching Go Joon, but he fits here perfectly. Can't wait for more.

Soul repairer - Well Jung So min is so amazing here. This is totally different than her previous roles but she is doing it very well. I am still not convinced with all the methods with the Doctor, but I'm still liking the different types of mental disorder discussed here.

Mystic Pop Up bar - This is only 12 episode drama, and I went in without any expectations, and it is the combination of Hotel Del Luna + somewhat Goblin + Harry Potter (Music?) But I'm enjoying this one. It looks like the role is tailor made for Hwang Jung eum and her personality. I also like Sungjae and Won Young!

Go Joon was the adulterous pro golfer David Lee in 'Misty', the most perfect piece of casting you could hope for.

You right about the music.

The King: Eternal Monarch😯: LG can be ruthless. He was pretty menacing in Episode 10. I'm glad he's had an opportunity to express more emotions in the last couple episodes I've seen. Things moved so fast this episode, so I'm expecting quite a bit of flashbacks next episode. Also, TE was pretty bad ass in episode 10!

Oh My Baby!😍: I'm having so much fun watching this show! There are some really hilarious moments, but there's also so much heart! As I've now officially passed the midway point to 40, I can identify somewhat with Hari. Also, Go Joon, where have you been hiding?! This is my first time seeing him in a drama. He oozes charisma and his little side smile makes me smile each and every time.

Good Casting😐: I'm interested, but find myself just relying on recaps and then fast-forwarding while watching the show to the parts I like from the recap.

Hyena😅: Need to pick back up. Took an unexpected break this week.

Soul Repairer🙅🏽‍♀️: I just couldn't watch anymore. I'm sorry Jung So-min!

Because This Is My First Life!💗: Finished my third rewatch. This time with my mom. Still as wonderful as the first time I watched it. 💓

What is the halfway point to 40?

😂😅 I really should have reread what I wrote before posting. I meant midway point between 30 and 40. I'm so glad you asked, so I could clarify!

I definitely chuckled when I first read it. “Wow so she’s 21? That’s rough...”

🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️😂

Go Joon was also in The Fiery Priest, he was quite the baddie there.

I may just have to check it out. I've heard good things about that drama.

The King: I died laughing in the end of episode 11. I should probably carry myself with integrity and watch something worthwhile but this is too much fun and eats up what little time I have...

The King- It has finally become a crack drama. The wait this week was hard. Episode 11 was really good.

I rewatched Legend of the Blue Sea. Its been atleast a year and a half since I last watched it, had forgotten a lot of it so enjoyed the rewatch! I love this drama!

Also started Mystic Pop-up Bar- Its totally wacky isn't it? The three leads have had superb chemistry from the first minute. I think its going to be really good!

LEGEND OF THE BLUE SEA is always worth watching. Even my wife has watched it twice.

The King: Eternal Monarch - Interesting enough to keep me watching every week despite my dissatisfaction with quite a few aspects of this drama. At this point, I'm really keen to see how they wrap it up because right now (episode 11 as I haven't yet watched 12), things are very confusing.

Mystic Pop-up Bar - I watched episode 1 and I'll continue, it's entertaining and light enough to enjoy it without having to think about it too much.

Because This Is My First Life - I'm rewatching one of my all-time favourite dramas, and am glad to say I still love it so much.

Can I please get your opinion on the ending of Because This Is My First Life? I started watching the first two episodes and I really like where it’s heading. However, I saw this drama because it is being recommended a lot. But there seems to be either love or hate for it, especially towards the ending. So did the ending give the whole drama justice? Thank you

I know you didn't ask me, but I figure I'd throw in my two cents because I'm a huge fan. No matter what, I still think 14 episodes of near perfection makes it more than worth the watch even if you don't really gel with the last 2. I was disappointed on a few levels when I first watched the last 2 episodes, mostly regarding Ji-ho's choices in the last couple of episodes and also the relationship between Ho-rang and Won-seok.

Keep in mind your mileage may vary but I think if you go in with adjusted expectations you'll be fine. Trying to be as spoiler-free as possible, I think taking this into account may help you with some of the issues people had with the ending: This drama is not and never was anti-marriage, it was anti-patriarchal norms within marriage, especially concerning obligations towards the family you "marry into". Our couple's main journey, in my opinion, was to find a way to make marriage work for them and their choices rang true to the drama's overall theme. Also keep in mind that while Ji-ho is a lovely character, she shows early on that she is not perfect, has selfish, rash tendencies, and is insecure when it comes to her romantic feelings. While I was disappointed with her actions at first, upon rewatch I can (mostly) see where she is coming from. I think if just ONE scene was slightly altered, just slightly, people wouldn't have gotten as upset.

The one storyline that disappoints me no matter what angle I view it from is Ho-rang and Won-seok's, but I was never super invested in them so I don't mind in the grand scheme of things.

Everyone took something slightly different away from this drama and I think that's part of what makes it so great. Even if it didn't *quite* stick the landing for me, it's still my personal favorite! I think many of the choices the writer took at the end still ring true to the drama's core themes as a whole, even if some of them are not what I expected or would've preferred.

Also... Se-hee is perfect and lovely from beginning to end. Just saying.

Ahh thanks. Really appreciate that. I think we all have that one drama we love so much that we can forgive its flaws lol. I enjoyed the vibe of the first two episodes and it looks like something I can get a lot from apart from being so relatable. Two episodes in and I think the leads are perfect for their roles, especially Lee Min Ki. Haha

Mindy's comment gives a great perspective. I personally have no issues whatsoever with the ending, I really liked it and felt that it made a lot of sense with everything that happened throughout. It's in my top 10 all-time favourite dramas so my opinion here is not without bias haha.

If your biased to it then it means it must have done something so good, regardless of the so called flaws. I'll see what the few episodes bring.

The King:Eternal Monarch-Finally, the pace is picking up. The romance is still lacking for me, although it got better once main leads became official couple. The sci-fi & mystery plotline is keeping me interested though. Loved seeing Tae Eul and her badass moves in Ep. 11!
Loving my rewatch of C Drama rom com About Is Love over at Tencent YouTube Channel! 3 lovely galpal roommates, 3 separate lovelines and some nice kiss scenes-yes please! Tencent is posting 2 episodes every day so no waiting! If you are looking for a light, breezy watch, check this drama out.
Link for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMX26aiIvX5pUzBsDcXNKSmbGrRA4lMjW

Just a very short hooray for this week's dramas!

Eternal Monarch - Episode 11 - I enjoyed this episode from start till finish. Hooray!

Mystic Pop-Up Bar - Hooray for the new show! It far exceeded my expectations. I liked the way the stories were set up like a one-act-story within the overreaching plot, which seems light in spite of its heavy topics (hell, salvation etc.) . The side characters and guests are interesting and some of my favourite actors are here - I have high hopes for the future of this quirky little show.

Hospital Playlist - Thank you and hooray for giving me the encouragement to watch this. I am somewhere in Episode 3 and it is everything I hoped for. I hope the heartbreak doesn't take over the plot, I can't deal with too much real-life drama at the moment.

Rugal - I haven't watched a single episode, but the weecaps were great! So a last hooray to this show and the emo haircut that I can never unsee.

Same on THE KING! This is the first episode where things were actually exciting and I wasn't confused. Yay!

Currently watching Oh My Baby which I love because it's just the right amount of fun and feels. Jang Nara dramas always deliver the heart and as always I'm sold. I also love the dynamic with the male leads of being scared and suspicious of her yet also worrying and caring for her. Also the exploration of social issues have me feeling all sorts of empathy.

Pegasus Market is my comedy watch which is so hilarious I just can't even. I adore how the drama has woven all these touching stories and lessons in a funny little package. Again another show so full of heart that I'm just a sucker for. The actors are all amazing for being able to be immersed and keep a straight face. I can only imagine how wild the BTS are for this show.

365 Repeat the Year is such an underrated gem. More people need to watch this. It's got the mystery and thriller down pat. I really hope it is wrapped up well. I also love that it's only 12 episodes which means the pacing has been perfect.

Sassy Go Go! (12/12): Grumptopus, thank you for teaching me about SLS so thoroughly. You snuck up on me with your shy smiles and dimples and you dare to end the last episode with a giggle?😳 I am aware that I should talk about the show in general, but it is all blurry now and it was nicely wrapped up anyway. Gummy Bears take priority on my grocery list now.🐻🍭

Oh My Baby (4/16): What is going on? Why are all these K-drama men sneaking up on me?😳 Go Joon did not make a memorable first impression on me with his pictures or character description, but Han Yi-Sang is an awkward weirdo in a hunk body.❤️Best friend Yoon Jae-Young also deserves a ‘well done’ stamp from me. It takes courage to decide to get out of your funk, even though it takes time and is a hard thing to do. It is understandable that he needs the help from Hari and her mom, but I hope he will tone down his leeching and blackmailing ways. It was played for comedy mostly, but it did not work for me and made me dislike him a bit in the beginning. He does seem to be more focused on his daughter now and tries to understand Hari. I hope to see more of that and his witty banter with Ha-Ri in the future, and I actually would not mind them ending up as a couple or having a child together at this point, which is a first.❤️ It is a shame Eu Ddeum’s mom did not teach him tact along with her feminism, but my Do-Hwa bias can overlook it.❤️

I am going to read some recaps and Beanie Opinions before I start on Mystic Pop-up Bar and/or Old School Intern.🤔

YES on every point you made about Oh My Baby!! While I'm definitely on board with YS, a part of me feels for JY.

Most K-drama watchers I know, myself included, are getting tired of love triangles these days. However, these two are not annoying me (yet).

Agreed. I don't mind it popping up in some dramas, but when it's in about every drama I see it gets annoying. I hope to still like both male love interests by the end of the show.

@missvictrix, in terms of PPL Monarch, I guess you will be disappointed this week.

By the way, I guess Kim Eun-soek has fired her ghostwriter this week. It's a bit late, but it surely is a good move.

There was a lot less PPL. Let's ponder on the meaning of that while spraying some micellar water on our faces (with open eyes)

Amen.

Though the PPL is fewer in number, the advertisement of it (I’m looking at you KAHI micellar water something) is so loud that the BA had to speak its full name while introducing the product to TE (and to us viewers) in the middle of the stories. I was wondering if the production needed sponsors that much. That was so loud and while it was cringey, it’s quite funny at the same time 😅.

Just bear with Ms. Kim, @mmmmm, she will probably go bankrupt after finishing this crappy drama.

And drink coffee from a bottle, many times. I think people are growing immune.

And follow the spray with the multi balm, again. And you can't purchase this in the US. I found a blog post devoted to all the PPL in this one.

Will you kindly share that blog with us, @ndlessjoie? This will be a huge treasure chest ...

Fly honey stars (all one word) .com

May 16th blog post titled K-Drama Product Placements and Sponsors in The King Eternal Monarch.

Wow, that is an interesting blog post, thank you! There even is a "brick sponsor", that is beyond anything that I would have imagined. PPL seems to know no boundaries. Where can I buy the air that LMH breathes?

😂 I'd rather just adopt WDH.

Where Your Eyes Linger On episode 3. I can't fanwoman about this drama enough. I hope it has a reasonable ending. Even if they aren't happily together (curse that very thought), I hope it makes sense and isn't cheap.
The King On episode 5. I'm excited for her to go with him to Kingdom of Corea.
Oh, My Baby On episode 4. I can't believe the sperm donor scandal. I wish Korea had methods to allow for single moms.
King is Not Easy On episode 16. It's a really fun drama
My Girlfriend's Boyfriend On episode 3. Havent watched since Monday
The Brightest Star in the Sky On episode 7. Haven't watched since Sunday or Monday. I thought it was 6 episodes for some reason. I was surprised by it being 40 odd. The leads are fine. Go Zitao! But the story and side characters is weak.
Hyung Second watch. It cracked me up and made me sad.

The King is my current crack. I'm unapologetic: it's ridiculous and I love it.

Other things I liked this week:

*Oh my baby. Really don't know what took me so long to get to watch Jang Nara in a drama. She's so great! She's got comedic timing and so many faces, just seeing her act is a treat. Characters seem relatable, and there's a lot of cute and swoon. Me likes.

*Signal. Would love a second season, but with the same cast. It's unlikely, I know...

* movies:
Anarchist in the colony: beautiful cinematography, and main characters are so brave and mischievously fun! It's based on a real story. It's set in the colonial period, and could be grim but it's not. I'd recommend it to just about everybody!

Coin Locker Girl: gangster flick. Kim Hyesoo and Kim Goeun are awesome. It's very gritty, but entertaining.

And that's it! I'm also reading Kim Youngha's I hear your voice. It's a bit dark (again) but the writing is beautiful. I still don't know where the story is leading, but it is compelling.

And that's it! I swear to myself I'll only pick up lighter entertainment for the next week, because my angst-o-meter is sky high 😋

Re: The King, I’m unapologetically loving it too! Especially the last scene of ep11, that was cringey, hilarious, magical, cheesy, oh-so-over-the-top at the same time.

*waving my sword on a horse back* 👑🐴⚔️🏇

This perfectly explains all the emotions I went through while watching the ending of ep. 11. I was so enthralled while being conscious of how ridiculous it all was at the same time.

There must be battle ethic in the kingdom that if you already had gun fight than the next one would need to be a sword fight 🤣

Jang Na-ra always delivers, whether comedy or not (see THE LAST EMPRESS and VIP for non-comedic roles).

Oh My Baby: I started watching this Becca of Jang Nara and I’ve actually liked it. I’m waiting for YS to fall HARD cause you know he totally is. There’s a very big potential conflict for what I’m assuming is the main couple - he doesn’t not and has never wanted kids and it’s her life’s dream to be a mother. It’s a very real conflict that I’ve seen women cry about. I understand the heroine because I get her longing to be a mother to a child. It doesn’t take away from her career drive in my eyes and doesn’t make her any less independent to me. She only cares about being a mother and fostering a new life and hasn’t even thought of the other aspects - ie having a partner, because she’s incredibly independent.

The King: dropped. Like, I can’t even skim it for Woo Do Hwan parts because I feel so resentful to the way it’s directed. It’s just so self important/slow for a relatively simple idea/plot - two dimensions where people travel back and forth to eliminate their doppelgängers and gain power/possessions, that it’s annoying. I feel bad for the actors.

Good Casting: dropped. Nothing anyone does makes sense and the villains are pretty obvious. It’s hard to buy bad asses when they seem so collectively inept at their job.

The King : ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Hospital Playlist : ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

but for different reasons.

Looking forward to watching The Mystic Pop-up Bar. (missed watching today again. Just finished baking cookies at midnight) Love everything with vibrant colors these days.

Mystic Pop-up Bar I'm not sure about this drama. The past story was a little bit rushed for me.

Oh My Baby I love it. The ML is swoony :D

Hospital Playlist I don't care about the couples, but the dialogues, the friendship and the songs are great.

The King: Eternal Monarch I like the story. It's fun to watch.

Ru Taiwanese Express It's Japanese drama about a woman who works for Shinkansen compagny and must go to Taiwan to work on the Taiwanese train. It's really fun to watch Japanese and Taiwanese actors like Haruka Tada and Aaron Yan acting together. It's a short drama but it's interesting.

I had posted it on our discord on 3rd of may.
Aoihachi posted news about it on 17th may.
More Japanese active so join us there.

Hospital Playlist: ❤❤❤ still loves this and sad it's almost over!

The King: Eternal monarch: still confused but still confused. I guess...

Jealousy Incarnate: i had forgotten how this was so interesting! This is truly a delighting rewatch!

When love blooms: I guess I am still ok watching it, though I also find it a bit too tropey. Am kind of tired of the mopey "lee bo young" and it's like i can predict what each character is going to do, and it's get me bored and less excited...

I feel like I’ve gone from being in a drama slump from having too many things to watch all of a sudden!
Currently airing -
Mystic Pop-up Bar - I really like this so far, it’s fun. Am keen for next week's episodes.

Oh My Baby - I broke my own rule about not watching the same actress in two dramas at once and started this, only seen ep 1. It seems ok so far? The friend with the baby is infuriating, like your child is 8 months old so you should know how to look after them by now. Is this just because I have kids?

The King: Eternal Monarch - I’m so far behind but I’m picking this back up for another go. Will I regret it? Probably.

Other dramas -

Goblin - we have one episode left. I feel like the back half of this drama is stronger than the first. Maybe it’s the writer? Seems like something similar is happening with Eternal Monarch.

The Last Empress - this show just keeps having more and more happen. I can’t keep up 😅 Loving SSR in this, he’s so much fun to watch.

My Girlfriend is a Gumiho - put this on just to have some background while doing chores, then suddenly it was midnight and I’d watched four episodes 😅 had forgotten how much I like this. I think it’s actually funnier on rewatch as I find the aunt’s story less irritating.

Still watching Drunken To Love You with my sister as well, but haven’t made any progress as she has been working.

THE KING: ETERNAL MONARCH.
I loved episode 11. Episode 12 went back to its stingy style, leaving us hanging for answers, but I still enjoyed it. My main concern is: can people stop shooting Woo Do Hwan in this drama, and will he get a raise for promoting bread and jam?
(@neener I watched Episode 1 of MAD DOG but I think I will wait until THE KING is over so my brain can recover and appreciate it).

BALLAD OF SEODONG
I'm at episode 45 and I can totes see the writers of ARTHDAL CHRONICLES at work: Like Tagon, Buyeo Sohn takes the throne with considerable bloodshed in his CV, but he is upset because the people of Baekje don't love him anymore. In fact, they think he killed his own father (which to be fair, he didn't, but you reap what you sow). Like Eunseom, our hero Seodong painfully learns about power politics in the palace, only to become a slave and kicked around in the mud for an episode or two. However, the glorious thing in this drama is that every time Seodong's nemesis (Giroo, the conniving Hwarang) tries to destroy him, Seodong comes out stronger, through his own wit and because he cares about other people. I am itching to see him crowned king. C'mon drama!
cc @kiara @pakalanapikake

"..can people stop shooting Woo Do Hwan in this drama..?"

Poor baby can't get a break. Got stabbed multiple times in "My Country" and now this.
Oh can we add roll cake to the list? Mmmm I want some.

I honestly love this show even with all it's imperfections. I love the legend, the alternate history etc. It feels like a sageuk but it's not.
Shoot me but I wish THE KING was a 20 eps drama. I just think it needs more time.

BALLAD: you are making me want to watch it again. That era is much more enjoyable than Joseon sageuks.
I prefer Kim Young-hyun's dramas before the other Park writer joined her. BALLAD was her last solo sageuk.