Drama viewership ratings for the week of June 22-28, 2020

Huh, interesting week. I mean, “interesting” isn’t saying much when the ratings chart barely shows much change, but still. The dramas at the beginning of the week are doing okay (can you believe 3-4 percent is considered okay these days?). My Unfamiliar Family is the exception here, bringing in great numbers for tvN.

Midweek, Old School Intern saw a rise with Wednesday’s second episode. Thursday’s episodes , however, were preempted. We also had the finales of healing drama Soul Repairer and fantasy drama Mystic Pop-up Bar. Both finished with decent numbers, but they’d definitely seen better. Oh My Baby, which has been stuck around 1 percent, will be ending next week.

Now, the weekend is where it got interesting. Backstreet Rookie, from what I’ve heard, faced a lot of backlash, yet it gained more viewers. It’s Okay to Not Be Okay had some criticism as well, losing viewers with its second episode, but it came back with 5.9 percent for the third. After that dip, though, I’m not sure what to expect with the drama’s future ratings.

Drama viewership ratings for the week of June 22-28, 2020

Sunday, June 28
Once Again 55 KBS 28.5%
Once Again 56 KBS 32.2%
Team Bulldog: Off-duty Investigation 12 OCN 4.4%
It’s Okay to Not Be Okay 4 tvN 4.9%

Tags:

I was crushed when It's Okay to Not Be Okay Episode 2's ratings dropped to 4.722%. I'm that invested in Kim Soo-hyun's comeback. This drama is so good. Why, Korea, are you not watching?? Please, Episode 4, maintain Episode 3's ratings.

IOTNBO just need to give viewers time to absorb it. It's not your every day K-drama.
Hopefully eps 4 will do it with more character development.

I was one who almost dropped it after 2 and 3. Glad I decided to watch ep 4 because, finally, there were the human characters. The line that cemented it for me was: (spoiler?)

when his mom told him he was only born to help his older brother, that's why they had him. Heart wrenching.

@linda-palapala
Thanks for the heads up on 4. For me, 2 was showing danger signs.

The reception online in Korea has been positive so maybe it will pick up on numbers, I don't expect drastic changes and I think they will always have lower number of viewers on Sunday compared to Saturday through out their run

For 'Backstreet rookie', does it seem like the drama is deliberately showing such controversial side to gain negative publicity? So that the more people will talk about it, more it will gain attention? I'm getting a feeling it might be so. What you guys think?
In India, last year there was movie like that called, 'Kabir Singh'. It had the most ridiculous offensive scenes and it became a huge controversial film. However it became the massive hit due to its negative publicity. It might be possible 'Backstreet Rookie' is doing the same? I don't know.

Kabir Singh is the most misogynist and hateful movie ever to be made but it walked away with more accolades than deserving movies. I believe the exact same thing is happening here. The channel and production team is fanning controversy for ratings because the buzz about this drama is still very negative. SBS is willfully ignoring the petition for the sake of the publicity it brings. No such thing as bad publicity in their book.

This assumption tires me. Why are people assuming they want bad publicity? Most importantly...are people who makes assumptions like this even watching the drama to begin with. Sigh.

This show is helmed by the Fiery Priest PD. I think he knows his audience when it comes to wacky over the top comedy.

Yes~~~ the PD is the main reason I was interested. I enjoyed TFP, it was OTT and wacky.

I've only watched BR up to ep 3 and I'm intrigued to see more background for Saetbyul and her sister. As of ep 3, I think show is showing social issues but with exaggerated comic-like effects.

i agree ...how will negative publicity help them honestly ... let's just give them some credit and appreciate ...i mean who would watch something that is being marked as "terrible".... it's probably cause people like it and enjoy it

Are you even watching the drama? The only episode that showed any controversial scenes (well controversial to knetz bc ep 2 still had racial insensitive jokes but they don’t care about that so) was ep 1. Did the bad publicity make people talk about the drama more during its premiere week? Of course! but the backlash has died down A LOT. The steady viewership ratings and slow increase is proving that the drama has gained its own niche audience who are simple enjoying the show.

Lol.. if they did that it’d be quite a stupid and risky marketing strategy. Why aim for bad publicity when you can have a good one?

Idk what controversy is actually there, the drama does has quite a bit of antis though.

let's talk, 1, the dread - this isn't as big as the international audience thought, the character explicitly said the he is Korean, pretending like Thai guy when meeting new people, doesn't has that tanned of skin as the comment suggest. He definitely seen as "strange" but not black people, but an unkept Korean man who has anxiety meeting people and try to hide his own self. The drama will be gold if this character can turn itself better in the later half. Regarding you think it's offensive or not, I think it better to wait till the end because he probably has "character development" like many protagonists.

2. The sexy dress, she has curves and wears fitting clothes, why that always mounted to sexy and seducing? she dresses well to make him notice her, she just happens to have a hot body, is that such a crime? She is 22, she can dress as she wants and that's not even that sexy.

3. She kisses him at 19 years old, she is delinquent, she likes him. On the other side, he said it's wrong to do that but he never even thought of the kiss as something sensual or until he mets her again 3 years later.

4. She is too young, she is 22 and liking a 28 years old, that happened, he hasn't show any sign to like her. Also he is nice to her, he didn't judge her and actually listen and told her to be better people, is it so bad to like a nice guy?

5. the violence, it's actually more obvious than do bong soon that it's exaggerated. There is no super power and people who get beaten up wake up right away, it's a style, albeit it can turn risky when it doesn't place well

Idk what another controversy it has, but all about the dress, the relationship is just weird "rage comment£ cause there is no predatory behaviour here.

edit: 3. She kisses him at 19 years old, she is delinquent, she likes him. On the other side, he said it's wrong to do that but he never even thought of the kiss as something sensual or --- even remember the kiss--- until he mets her again 3 years later.

people hate BR female lead because she kissed an older guy out of teenage impulse, even when the story has nothing after that happen, they don't interact, the male lead didn't even spare a 2nd thought and the female lead disappear until 3 years later, and this is just the 10 minutes runtime while the fuss is 200 comments.

On the psycho drama, the female lead harass the male lead constantly, saying stuff amount to sexual harassment in public and suggest to own him with her own mouth but people say "she has 'mental illness', we need to wait for character development, she is badass, at leas she is honest"

oh yeah, abnormal adult can be excused with "mental health" and "character development" while teens/young adult can't act improper, be delinquent and can't be love-struck because they need to be pure and act her own age and we don't need to wait for her "character development".

I find this is amusing, as I am not into both dramas but upon seeing this, what I get is people actually doesn't want to accept or see that youth has flaws, that young adult can be confused and 22 years old can't be sexy. People doesn't want to see that not all people is nice and innocent or see character development. What they want is the illusion like the psycho drama, "she meant well, she just doesn't know any better then love will cure her" even when her action hurts people than the reality of "she kiss a guy, try her shot stupidly and we need to wait for what they do for her character"

*Perhaps it's due to the actress past image as a child actress but it's not on her if that what makes you uncomfortable. She grows up. She can't be a child forever or wait till she is 30 to be sexy, it's like people are projecting what they see in her than she her as herself, which is quite ironic.

Thank you. Both female leads have issues, yet only one is getting backlash, while the other is getting reasons to justify her actions.

How did King during its run see a rise in its 2nd episode but Psycho lost 20% viewership? What are the standards here? You have a masterpiece drama but instead you want to watch something pedestrian? Why are you doing this South Korea? Please wake up!

What are these pedestrian shows you are referring to?

Most of the show ratings are below 5%? Wow.
As for IOTNBO, it has a lot of potential and really depends on the korean audience. It can still improve considering the star power of the leads. I am enjoying it so far and most likely will stick with it

Is it bad that dramas are average 3-4%? I’m new to kdramas so I’m not sure if that’s good or bad....

3-4% is the average rating now, I don't think it's that bad considering the plethora of content available on TV nowadays (dramas, variety shows, more channels, documentaries etc2) compared to older days. And dramas are also available on streaming platforms like Netflix, Wavve, iqiyi etc2.

Gone were the days when double digits was king and top dramas are hitting 30% and above. It has steadily been declining due to the various media and different content available as katakwasabi has said.

MILF should go down below 4%

another of those drama mocking mockery of a profession as well as patients.

what is Milf?

I wonder what sort of criticism IOTNBO faced after the 1st episode

the 2nd ep is slow and personally feels like normal romcom, they show too many mental illness (even the setting is hospital) makes it feels like they use mental health as a gimmick because it also feel like rom com. Put everything in the beginning but then it doesn't feel like it has something. The cinematography is nice but if it doesn't make you watch it right away, you can always go for a rerun than watching it as it airs,

in ep 3, the comedic scene doesn't sit well with me,

This show doesn’t really know what it wants to be. A farce, a horror story, a murder mystery? One thing that revolts me, is how the writer and director use mental hospital patients as props. The must be in the right place to say the right line to main character. Or they must have their mental breakdown, specific to the mental disorder the writer awarded them, at the right time to move the plot. I’m still watching this drama because of actors’ hard work, and will treat it as a murder mystery with farce and horror elements.
I wish they would tone down the fairy tales themes. It’s smells of plagiarism when the author of supposedly great children’s books, teaches a literature class with well known (on the internet for the last 15 years) cliches about how dark the fairy tales really are. Duh. Everyone knows it. Little Mermaid is really about this not that, The Witch is this and the Princess is not really that. Why do they treat people with special needs like children? And the main hero always shows up to save the poor mental patient like a handsome Superman. And did you notice how the side characters ( female AND male) just must utter a line or too, or a comment about how handsome the main lead is? I noticed it in other dramas as well, lately. Fan service at its worst. Poor other actors, they have professional pride too, must be embarrassing for them. The main actor can perfectly carry this drama without the extra idol treatment.

This comment is seriously a reach on so many levels.

It’s a drama, obviously they will portray a mental illness theme relevant to what the leads are going through or what ties in with the story. I’m not sure what you’re expecting? For them to show all kinds of mental illness randomly? This isn’t a documentary tho.

Also, plagiarism why? Because Moon-young was explaining in her class that fairy tales aren’t what Disney shows us it is? Did she say it was ground breaking? That it’s the first time ever it has been discovered? The girl literally brought up Hans Christian Anderson on ep2. So quite clearly, the writer isn’t claiming this is the-first-ever-discovery of darkness in fairy tales.

Lastly, you’re right. KSH can carry this without the “idol treatment”’. He doesn’t need it , but he isn’t getting it either. If they mention his handsomeness, it’s mostly in relation to Moon-young’s obsession which is obviously needed. I’m not sure why that’s considered “fan service” or inappropriate.

Respect your opinion but I honestly don’t see where you’re coming from whatsoever.

Hmm. Did you miss a different fairy tale at the begging of each episode? Should I start counting? Why use so many? Should have just stayed with Red Shoes (end of episode 2). But no, there is Rapunzel in her tower in the beginning of episode 1. The Sleeping Beaty ( I will kill your Prince before he kisses you) reference in the end of episode 3. The Ugly Duckling reference in episode 2? I guess. There are so much specific fairy tale references in the script, the each episode is built on it. Oh, and Zombie Child? The mother feeding her limbs to him? Google Audre Wood tale, Heckedy Peg. How many fairy tales of other authors do they have to exploit? I just happened to be a former special education teacher who have red many fairy tales, children’s books in different languages to students for over 20 years.

@Marina Lol what? So making references and allusions is plagiarism now?

@Penguin

I’ve literally nothing to add to that. Spot on. Exactly.

@marina
I’m sorry, but you absolutely make zero sense right now. Specially your second comment (your first one was marginally more understandable).

Firstly, what in the world has your teaching experience/education got to do with your or Penguin’s comment (or this drama in general) I’m hard pressed to understand. Secondly, so that’s your issue? That the drama is using multiple fairytale stories instead of one? How is that an issue and why not? Every fairy tale has a lesson, something it teaches whether that be harsh reality or escapism or simply a better version of reality. Whatever it is, the drama obviously does a fantabulous job of connecting each episode to the story they picked. Why in the world would they stick to one fairy tale? That would be just like every other drama then. Candy drama = Cinderella. Physically damaged lead = Beauty and the Beast, etc etc.

Honestly you started off accusing the drama of plagiarism, then moved onto somehow demanding it to use just one fairytale. In any case, not understanding what your main issue with the drama is, but I’m confident enough to say most people prob don’t either.

Woops, I accidentally tagged actual registered user @marina and I didn't mean to. Sorry, marina!

@mandy @mindy haha, yes! These aren’t my comments:)

No problem Mindy💖

To be honest, the things you mentioned doesn't makes the drama controversial, or bad. It just doesn't suit your taste. None of what you said makes sense to me, and I bet to a lot of other people

I’m curious about the writer’s fascination with fairy tales. It doesn’t make the drama bad, per say, but it makes it a lazy writing in which the writer builds her work on ideas of others. Is that not plagiarism? My experience with reading countless children’s books and attending a few fairy tales seminars over the years is relevant to why I recognize the plucked out lines and themes right away.
It’s boring to always discuss the same gorgeous outfits, gorgeous hats, fine cinematography and sexy abs. Every comment looks almost the same. What’s a point of a discussion board if there’s no different opinions?

Well, certainly it is not plagiarism as the script acknowledges what it borrows. You’re right that mentioning fairytales isn’t something groundbreaking, but it does the job, quite well in my opinion, of portraying character’s thoughts, emotions and mental state. Of course people should have different opinions in a discussion, but arguing on what you like and what i like personally is pointless, unless more objective grounds are established.

Marina,

I do not think people have any objection to reasons which is why you do not like the show. Everybody has a different preference and they understand it.

None of them seem to be intolerant of expressing a different opinion either.

But most do not agree that it is a plagiarism.

Plagiarism by definition means :
" n. The act or behavior of plagiarizing.
n. An instance of plagiarizing, especially a passage that is taken from the work of one person and reproduced in the work of another without attribution.
n. The purloining or wrongful appropriation of another's ideas, writings, artistic designs, etc., and giving these forth as one's own; specifically, the offense of taking passages from another's compositions, and publishing them, either word for word or in substance, as one's own; literary theft."

If I understand correctly this is not the case here. The writer IS attributing the story or material to the respective author(s).

As far as how it is done, I have not seen this show yet to comment on the quality of writing.

But I do not think anyone here is replying with an intent to silence someone with a different opinion.

Retelling the stories or myths is a common writing practice.
(In one of my creative writing course, after teaching the concept of mono-myth, our teacher used to joke now we know that all of us are writing basically the same story) :-D

(for clarification, I have not seen a single episode of this show yet but I plan to. I like anything which alludes to or is a re-telling of any folk or fairy tale from any part of the world)

Some people found it difficult to connect with moon young's character probably because of her disorder. So some people dropped it. They also though she was OTT and unrelatable which is understandable.

My opinion is the audience is feeling this way because they don't know her back story yet. In ep 4, we get an insight of Kang tae'e childhood, his inner desires and feelings. He suddenly became more human to me after because previously, we were not given any idea about his thoughts. He was portrayed as sang Tae caregiver, but we don't know how he feels about that... And I have alot more to say but I'll keep it for the recaps. The audience will open up to moon young when they reveal her back story, me thinks.

One thing we all need to remember about ratings is that thee are a lot of viewers who are not being counted- because they are choosing the flexibility of streaming. Some people wait to watch until the show is even completed- so how are they to be counted?

BACKSTREET ROOKIE gained viewers because it is a good show- and not the show that the anti-fans had described. In this world there are too many people who are looking to be offended by something.

I will miss MYSTIC POP UP BAR.

Is anybody watching Sweet Munchies? Those ratings are... wow.

I watched the first episode and it was just... Not good. On many levels. So I understand the ratings, lol.

So not a secret gem that is being inexplicably overlooked then? Viki is trying hard to get me to press play on this. I won't bother.

Only two episodes to go, but I think this drama is important and underrated but won't appeal because of judging too quickly (the first couple eps and I was one who dropped it and then picked it back up) and it covers serious issues of honesty, trying to come out as gay, how lies can escalate and ruin people's lies, etc.- not your usual fluffy romcom.
It's about a guy who makes a huge mistake because of his human flaws, and it impacts those around him more and more because of his lies. He's not a "bad" guy or evil, he just made a wrong decision that escalates like the butterfly effect. He pretended to be gay to get a job as a "gay chef" on a tv show (for altruistic reasons), feels hecka guilty about pretending (he knows he's a phony) - you know how those lies go, they get worse and worse. The gay designer falls in love with him, but the designer's never come out because of fear of his father, his job, and society in general being not accepting. In the last episode that aired (10 cuz it's only 12 episodes) the gay designer confesses to the "gay" chef that he loves him, and thanks him (the chef) for being so honest and courageous and able to come out, that he's now going to be courageous and going to come out too. Oops. The "gay" chef finally has to come clean and tells the designer he isn't really gay. They both cry. End of episode 10...
So what will happen in the last 2 episodes? Will the designer be so devastated because the chef doesn't love him? Will he still have courage to come out, regardless of the consequences? Or will he not survive? Will the chef ruin his life by telling the truth and also ruing the PD's life (who we're supposed to think he really loves), all the people who's jobs are in jeopardy? Or will he stay a phony so they can keep their jobs? Or will he just run away, his usual MO? There's more that I didn't even cover.
Will the drama come to a logical conclusion, or will they just live happily ever after?
I'll let you know...there you have it, you won't have to watch it.

The other interesting thing to me was the color palette. If you see bright red, you'll see bright blue. If you see bright yellow, you'll see green too. And orange means something...but I don't know what! I don't know how or why the color palette is so important, why it's used in this drama, and what it's supposed to tell me. The only thing I could come up with was - are these the colors of the rainbow? Anyone here knowledgeable about color palettes in dramas??

Please excuse the grammatical errors - I didn't proofread enough! Aargh, hate when I do that.

A show about LGBT that makes use of color palette. Perhaps it's a reference to the LGBTQ flag? 🏳️‍🌈 (I don't watch the show btw, I'm just scheming through this post)

Is this originally a 12 or 16 episode drama? Did jtbc cut it short ala A Piece of Your Mind?

I'm watching it and I'm not surprised by the ratings. But at least, JTBC is nice and doesn't cut the story, not like TVN >_<

😢
Still sad

Yes, I'm watching and think it's quite thought provoking in the end...see my reply either above or below, I never know where they show up.

I’m watching it and I just don’t understand those super duper low ratings... hmm I guess the korean audience are finding it too problematic.

Oh wow. Oh My Baby is getting low numbers.

It is a very good drama in terms of writing, directing, acting ... but the topic will certainly not be appealing to the younger demographic, I guess.

I do agree! It’s a very good drama. I love “ Oh My Baby!”. It’s the only drama I’m watching right now.

Because it limited itself to HR's lens and how it revealed certain issues about family, choice, love. It put its flag in a very HR centric view and missed the undercurrents that would have given it more crossover.

Is anyone watching The Kingmaker? I like it a lot and I would have liked to hear other people's thoughts about it. Also, and I know it's unrelated, but it bothers me so I have to say it: can you do something about that video? I close the window, yet it keeps popping on my screen.

King Maker is the only Korean show that I watch these days purely because I miss sageuk so much. I just watch 4 episodes and still confuse with whole nobleman's names.

The Nielsen ratings are out for episodes 12 and 13 for little TV Chosun’s S/S sageuk: WIND, CLOUDS, AND RAIN/KING MAKER: THE CHANGE OF DESTINY:
Episode 12: 6.327%
Episode 13: 4.830%
Source:

Note: The episode 12 rating is just shy of the highest rating of 6.348% for episode 16 (final) for TV Chosun's sageuk Q: L&W.

With how dramatic Mystic Pop-up Bar's episode 10 ended, I was surprised that its Wednesday rating decreased. But I'm glad that it had it's highest average rating in its final week =D

I love this drama and will definitely miss it. I hope everyone behind it will know how much love we have for this show <3

It's Okay Not To Be Okay is really good in my opinion I haven't loved a drama this much since Hotel Del Luna. It deserves higher ratings but I guess Netflix effects that. I'm happy for Ji Chang Wook though, he needs this win.

I am loving the gothic vibe of Its Okay not to be Okay and the cinematography is top notch. Seo Ji Hye is killing her role of being eccentric and pretending to be antisocial but actually has feelings which she is really good at hiding and on the last episode i legit cried when Kang Tae (kim so hyun) was reading the zombie kid. The mystery of the main leads background is intriguing me especially the female lead, like how freaking messed up is her family. It deserves better ratings but i can understand its not every one's cup of tea. Hopefully its doing better in Netflix. I hope they keep up this gothic vibe and the female lead keep being this eccentiric and cool 😅 even when she starts to open up. And i kind of miss the creative transition scenes they did it in first two episodes ,they looked really good.. they reverted to normal transition scenes in the latest episodes.
My first show this year i am really looking forward to the next episodes after Hospital Playlist. Not disappointed 😊

Please include Kingmaker (Wind, Cloud and Rain) on the list. It is one of the better dramas airing currently.

I agree with the backlash on BR. dramas these days try to force sexual stuff into them unnecessarily. I haven't seen a romcom recently that doesn't have pointless sexual references, "correct" themes, rude female leads portrayed as badass or whatever. These dramas feel like they're trying to appeal to western tastes sometimes. I hope they stop being overly innovative and over the top and make something normal and relaxed for once.

My only problem is that many dramas do this, but why is BR the only one who faced this level of backlash?

"These dramas feel like they're trying to appeal to western tastes sometimes." BR is US network Lifetime's first SK production so there's that.

But yeah, I wish they'd stop trying to appeal to western audiences. I came from watching western dramas to Korean dramas for a reason.

The excuses (slow build, not everyday drama, some of you make. Last week you were giving props to Koreans for the backlash on BR, this week you're questioning if they have good taste because IOTNBO isn't doing well. lol

Who cares? I've been waiting for KSH's comeback and I'm enjoying it. There are a few issues, but the biggest issue would be where does this drama want to go? What is the genre? But 4.9 is a good rating OMB has a 1.9.