Open Thread #664

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

People around the world have been starved for entertainment because of home confinement, shelter in place, and work disruptions caused by the pandemic.
South Korea is the third largest movie theater market in the world. It lost during the early shutdown more than 90 percent of its average box office.
Four weeks ago, on the cusp of the first easing of restrictions, a studio took a chance to release Song Ji Hyo's latest film, "Intruder." It was the first big domestic release during the pandemic. It was not expected to be a big hit because many theaters had not re-opened and health officials were still telling people not to gather.
But after four weeks, its domestic box office was $35 million (US) ($40M worldwide). With a budget of $8 million (US), the film is considered a great success. It may have been more successful because there was not the normal film competition in theaters, but as with all entertainment projects, there is a risk reward element.

And I thought I'd be the first, now my comment down there๐Ÿ‘‡ sems like a follow up

How can you watch outside of SK?

Hi everyone, happy Friday once again.
So is it just me or has everyone noticed that there are so many dramas since the pandemic?

Maybe your lack of socializing has made you pay more attention to them? I usually never live-watch anything but has been now during the pandemic so I'm far more invested in this spring of dramas.

Recently been watching Begin Again in Korea and in Berlin. It introduced me to SKโ€™s great musicians and songs! I do hope the other seasons get subs too.

Since traveling is difficult these days, Iโ€™ve been bingeing Na PDs shows and other travel shows.

Hoping for Beanies to have a happy weekend~~!

I need to watch Begin Again because I know I would love it.

The clips for Begin Again in Korea are in YT and of course the previous seasons too.

Little Boy - 615k - August 1st week.

Heat has come down a bit, humidity has risen. Weather sites have a feature of "feels like" which adds other factors into temp and shows the increase. For 2 weeks that feels like showed 45-49 degree celcius. oh ho ho. And that was the time chosen by me to indulge in one heck of stupidity.
Only if Xi gives me atleast 1 sq km land in Tibbet fertile region, I will signup for CCP or not. such a temptation.
Your own home, water, electricity, garden, farm. Organic everything.
No human in sight. You, mother nature and mother earth. It's so delicious a scenery.

Hong Kong done and dusted. from 2019 it was clear. Brainwash takes lot of resources and time is the resource XI doesn't have much so he's being hasty and reckless. Because all these measure falls short of many other simple yet very effective tactics.

Xi and Putin needs trump and many other opportunists too.
Trump is less risk high reward scenario. As i've said in earlier posts, you don't want to cross path with XI but you can thrive in the regime of trump. Any place where you aren't in physcial danger is apt region to step up your ambition and garner few votes. Your win or loss doesn't even matter if you can somehow make good place for yourself in either of parties. Look at the chair and then march forward.

1 part of my heart wants trump to win - choas creating opportunities
1 part is against it because i'm not strong enough to get away from the consequences.
1 part brings principles into play
1 part brings ambition into play
1 part brings greed into play

All of it is futile if you don't have the presence. In the end you have to make voter willingly not only vote for you but also become a your strong follower so as so to make you play as many cards as possible.

Someone a stranger say - you don't get much affected
Coterie say - you don't get affected.
Physical presence of number of people and virtual presence does change atmosphere and can affect you if you put any value in these identities. Its all about mental strength or be a chump.
But, when, your loved ones say something - you notice it, you get affected by it, you think, think hard, feel +ve or -ve, happy or upset because you have good investment in these relationships, they matter to you, so their words which voice their thoughts,views and opinions make you look at things.

My mom once said to me - Why do you care about money so much. You waste money on things but have none for your own body.

Those words annoyed me and even infuriated me because they were coming from Someone who i thought can know me the best. A mother. A mother who's signed up for motherhood. I don't even need to say anything and should get these things. But, that's all good for talk. In real life you have to speak to make others know what you are upto,into and feeling. Not even overhyped feeling of motherhood can make a mother understand other human being even though that human is his-her biological child.

Happy Friday all!

In case you missed it earlier in the week, I posted about an essay that I wrote: Diversity in Dramaland: K-dramas and Racial Stereotypes. If you haven't already, please do take the time to read and circulate it.

In it, I attempted to answer the questions that often come up when we talk about racial representation, and how to understand their real-life meaning. I use examples showing positive and negative portrayals, and discuss what makes either good or bad. I finish with thoughts on how we can respond as fans.

We've also been having a good discussion on reddit, which you should check out!

Beanies, I've found Saya's writing really interesting and it gave me perspectives that I never took into account.
It's thoughtful, and it takles something that needs to be talked about if we want dramas to get better - creators don't work in a void, our discussions as viewers do reach them. And it's clear it was written with a lot of love for dramas, well done! ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š

I liked it too.

Saya is always insightful, and I enjoy the perspective who writing opens up to me.

That said, a "good discussion on reddit"? I'm off to check it out.

Really enjoyed this (and the podcast discussion, too) - thanks!

Came here to disagree with the "cancel everything right away" attitude for Backstreet Rookie.

The reason is simple, it's an on going drama. Let it finish to see the message, does it means something or is it a decoration.

People talk about wanting a drama to tackle an issue yet when a drama present them with the topic, no one wants to talk, they just shut off any discussion before seeing the end of the drama.

Replace all the "black" words to "mental healt", "social inequality", "murder" and you'll see that premature decision will not take anyone heart's because the post and other people who support hasn't seen it all. It's not a picture, a pictorial, a music video but 16 hours drama.

I'd say I don't see a reason why BACKSTREET ROOKIE would be cancelled, none at all.

Backstreet Rookie isn't tackling the issue of cultural appropriation and racism though. They presented that character for comedic effect. The only discussion I've seen regarding why this is wrong has been outside of the drama. Which shouldn't be the case if a drama is planning on tackling an issue. What they are doing simply feeds into preexisting stereotypes more than it educates on what is wrong and why it is wrong.

How did you know though?
They sing Reggae song, has Nigerian Man and openly say that they love Bob Marley

Your persistence on "it's wrong" without seeing it all of the issue I am talking about,
the drama hasn't even ended yet people have made their mind, I know I wish too much for drama community but preach diversity without wanting to see the entire situation is what I call discrimination,

drama get judged just by its cover
what an irony

From what I read Korean viewers aren't upset by the charge of racism, they're upset by the sexual content... or implied sexual content... or the objectification of women... or something like that. The ethnic stereotyping goes unnoticed.

I am tired saying this but all the drama mentioned, like DOTS, vagabonds, man who dies to live, the K2 is when the actor portraying native/local with the local culture. They misrepresented the local and not actually use the local actor/actress. At least they can make it right culturally if they can't find local/native actor.

In the convenience store drama, the character saying to people that he is original Korean. He doesn't emulate anyone, he doesn't even need to be acted by other race because his identity is Korean.

Am I the only one who see the satire in this?
The drama also hasn't ended but the backlash reminds me of T-ara x bullying, Go Hyesun vs Ahn Jae Hyun, Jeffrey Star x James Charles.
It hasn't ended and concluded by the worst possible scenarios.

If the character turned up to get better development at the end and realise something about himself that he should change, does it still make the show "insensitive"?

People can talk about many stuff but please put the "so far" noted.

I watch the king and I agree that apparently, none of the fans theory happened, the drama isn't that smart but I can say that as "real review" after I watch everything.

It really reminds me of how people try to get the higher ground on T-ara and Go Hye Sun Case

This was a really good read and I've bookmarked the page. Have to say that the racial stereotypes are rife in Indian cinema as well. Very recently a movie was made called 'Super 30' where the leading man (fair skinned) made himself darker because the story was based on a real life person from a a lower caste. This very same actor is now being invited to the Diversity panel for the Oscars which seems laughable.
I am not sure if K-dramas show this overtly but the 'how to lighten up your skin' debate has been raging amongst South Asians for a long time, and leveraging movie stars to hawk these products has been a time honored marketing tool.

Absolutely. But I think it's the sign of changing times that when Hrithik Roshan darkened his skin it was remarked upon on social media and forced the director and actor to comment on the conversation (even though all they did was get defensive). That the conversation exists - that people notice and talk about it - is a HUGE advancement to our country's previous dismissive/ignorant attitude.

Agreed that the conversation is happening more openly. For a long time though, this conversation was limited to particular voices. For example in the art film set, the female leads tended to be described as 'dusky' or 'earthy'. Where as in commercial cinema, the female leads were practically fluorescent! Unless the role of a 'tribal'.
Definitely a colonial hangover I think.

Hi beanies. I am just a bit disappointed because my result came out and I scored below expected in one of the subjects and that brought down my percentage. It just feels like all my hardwork didn't pay in the end. I just wanted to score well. Had I scored 10 more marks, I things would have been much easier. The pandemic is going strong in all of India's major centres of study so I might stay and study in my city and go out for my masters. The pandemic is making all of us suffer it seams. I'm just a bit bummed out, you know. Anyway, I'm really thankful for very supportive parents who were happy for me and weren't disappointed at all. Into The Ring seems to be underrated and I hope it gets more love. Happy Friday Beanies

Which exams? Doesn't sound like the Boards. College? Happy/sad memories of taking my X and XII boards.

Xii boards. Mixed memories here too

Hah! In the 'old' days, we took the exam at random schools in those giant auditoriums. Blue books and invigilators. Then we would finish, breathe a sigh of relief. But taking Boards in July is pretty yucky. We did pre-boards in January, studied for 2 weeks straight in feb and then Boards in March. Results in April. Which city?

Gosh! Youโ€™re bringing up repressed memories. It was so terrible imagining that this was it- your lifeโ€™s make or break. When was the last time anyone even asked how you did in your boards. I wonder if itโ€™s any better now

I'm sorry it didn't go the way you wanted. You made a big effort that would have been an undertaking in the best of times, and you did it during a pandemic - I hope when you're ready you can celebrate that a bit, too!

I can understand what you must be going through cause marks less than expected is not a good feeling for sure. But marks are just there as numbers it wont help much in life in long run... believe me.
I have been there and had just 2 marks less than what was supposed to be a landmark in my 10th board marks but believe it mattered just for one year rest all my life its just the hard work and determination to learn new things that helped me. and then less marks in 10th motivated me to work tripple hard to do good in 12th and that helped for sure.

So keep your chin high and just keep doing what you love to do.. there is always a bright future ahead. Fighting.

I guess I am excited about all the conversations about the Board exams here!

ahh those were some of the most hectic days of board exams,.,.. I cant forget sleeping late trying best to get up early... lol
are you also related to india by any chance ?

Fully related :)

@skbaliga75 thats sooo awesome.. nice to meet you here.....

Right back at you! I am very late to the K-Drama scene but oh what a scene it is!

Just saw you have a blog! Yay! Are you Maharashtrian??? Konkani here.

hehehe... better late than never..
and yes I have a blog.. just for fun as I love photography and writing my stories makes me feel happy.
i am not Maharashtrian but living in Maharashtra for my work.

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I'm much better now

ur most welcome dear... all the very best for your bright future.

As a student who did nothing but studying until she graduated I can fully understand your disappointment. You put in all this effort and the universe just does not seem to care enough. It is good that you voice your disappointment, because that is a valid feeling that should be felt to be able to move on.

However, you did very well and I hope you can also realize that. Taking a more difficult route does not mean it is impossible, so there is still time and opportunity to find what you want to accomplish. The pandemic is affecting a lot of people as you correctly pointed out, so โ€˜the easier wayโ€™ does not really exist right now all things considered.

Lastly, we are lucky with our parents in that aspect. I know too many unhappy youngsters with similar grades who were the disappointment of the family. I struggled with my grades for many years as I mentioned above, and I still struggle now with unemployment, but I would not have made it so far without the understanding and support of my parents, and the painful realization that most of my suffering was self-inflicted because I was too hard on myself. Do not repeat my mistakes and come find me if you need to talk!โค๏ธ

I love what you said about your parents. Same here.

Thank you for the support @trulysarcastic. Advice from adults really helps

The pandemic is hitting students really hard with how much its messing up plans for their future. Hugs. Your parents are wonderful and wise to be happy for you since you've worked hard and they know you'll ultimately achieve your goals.

@manichan
1. You finished the exam - YEAH!!!!!!!
2. Your score wasn't what you hoped for - but you didn't fail the exam right? In the long run - you will learn by experience what you need to know.
3. Thank goodness for supportive parents!

Now you can rest and let go and be easy on yourself. It sounds like the studying and the exam were so stressful - but you did it! Yeah YOU!!
And thanks for letting all us beanies know the outcome.

There is too many dramas coming out this week or its just me? I cant keep up. Feels like there is 10 new dramas. I am just one person >.<

Tons of new dramas, but the subtitles are falling WAY behind.

I'm fairly new here, but I just wanted to say how much I love this community already. It is just so much fun to read all the recaps, comments, ideas and to just generally be able to nerd out with enthusiasm over the shows I'm digging. I'm so happy to be here! And my non-k-drama-watching friends are, too, because now they don't have to listen to go on about them. :)

I'mseeing Dinner Mate through, mostly a) out of fondness for Seo Ji-hye and hoping she'll keep getting lead roles and b) the delightfully charming Song Seung-heon. But thank god there's only one week left on this, because it just...did not live up to what it could have been. Otherwise I am so into IOTNBO that it's not even funny - it's so weird, wacky, beautiful to watch, disturbing, heart-breaking, confusing and layered - I am HOOKED. And I'm relieved because I was really having a hard time finding something to let sink its claws into me.

Finally, I'm a big Son Ye-jin fan (probably a cliche, but I still covet her Pirates eye make-up) and was chuffed to see that she looks THISCLOSE to making her Hollywood debut. I might get some flack for this, but this news seems to have the added advantage of muting the BinJin horn a bit (*ducks*). Don't get me wrong, I dig their fab chemistry whether reel or real (or both - whatever floats their boat), but it makes me happy to see good news for her based on her own work as an actress.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Where do you watch Dinner Mates?

It's available on iQIYI.

The first 6 (or should I say 12) episodes of Dinner Mate were fantastic. I would have wanted more of that Before Sunrise/Sunset theme that they were initially going for. Just two people having a great conversation while enjoying each other's company. Hopefully SJH gets more lead roles.

And I am also obsessed with IOTNBO! Everything about it so far is just perfect. Nice to see SYJ getting the international recognition that she deserves.

OMG everything about really IS so perfect with IOTNBO! Makes me afraid that they'll screw it up somehow.

Am with you on DM - the first third was great, and then the exes just took waaaay too much stage time with their one-note song.

From discussion posts elsewhere, I do not think Son Ye Jin is close to signing on board for The Cross. This script has been floating around Hollywood for 11 years. There have been several prior casts associated with it. Andrew Niccol's last two films where he was the director-writer-producer bombed at the box office. It seems he has had a hard time getting investors for the project since it has never been green lit. No doubt SYJ was offered a role, but her agency was clear it was reviewing it (financials and the script). Her first Hollywood offer, My Way, was rejected after many months of review.
No doubt her international popularity of CLOY could help the producer find some investors. It seems like a very long shot.

I actually prefer an all Korean cast project like the indie film "Minari."
I think Han Ye-ri was able to speak Korean for most of it.

That sounds interesting, too. I think I just would really like to see her in something different? I guess Hollywood kind of fit that bill in a way!

They will not get better roles in Hollywood like they do in Korea. Thatโ€™s why Lee Byung-hun keeps going back to Korea.

Welcome to dramabeans! Yes, here we are a fun community. I am particularly not that funny, although I wish I could be, but there are tons of creative beanies who will always make is laugh and smile and meditate with their comments and insights!
So... again, welcome.

Now Dinner mates!!!! Big disappointment indeed. I am also watching it because I like the leads, but man, the writer keeps destroying them with simply poor decision totally out of character. Why? Because he/she is tired? I don't know...
I can only see they are recycling every single stupid makjak (don't know how to write this word) from bad dramas,, including the truck of doom, just because they don't know how to fill the rest of the story.
Actually, the writer and the whole producer team don't have a story anymore! And they are just ruining our poor characters with stupid dialogs and crazy behavior.
I am so disappointed!

Thank you! It's a great community indeed!

Yeah, the truck of doom had me kind of like, "Really, writers? New low." SJH and SSH that they are acting the crap out of it and trying to do absolutely everything they can with the material, but (as you say) if the material keeps being (as you mentioned) that they're making dumb decisions that don't jive with their characters - and repeatedly so - there's only so much an actor can do with that. I think I'll just hope for better with their next projects!

I recently finished watching a Chinese drama called the Untamed (released last year) and I've got to say that it was the BEST 50 HOURS OF MY LIFE!!!

Only 50 hours?? Heh, some of us have consumed 200 hours worth of Untamed (50x4 watches). Welcome to the wonderful world of Untamed!
Whenever I'm down, I watch my favorite bits.

200 hours!!!! LOL๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Oh my, I keep listening good reviews from the Untamed. Maybe one day....

Stages of watching Untamed:
1) this is just trash. Why is it popular?
2) Well, at least I guess it's watchable trash.
3) OMG, it's taken over my life!
4) Re-watch because there's no way you "get" everything the first time.
5) Watch again, because there's still stuff you missed the first two times.
Next stage:
1) Untamed BTS,
2) find all things Wang Yibo, Xiao Zhan
3) Watch the special edition on YT
4) Read the novel
5) If you're diehard, you watch the anime.

yep - I know all about those steps.
This week I rewatched the Special Edition and still found new things to marvel at!

This is so accurate! :D

@eternalpnk And yes, it's the best 50 hours of your life!! Are you going to watch it again? I missed so much the first time, and the 2nd, and the 3rd! I still see little details I didn't notice before.

Yes! But I need a break from the Untamed so I can re-watch with better attention. If I rewatch now, I might just skip to my favorite scenes. Besides, I've been watching BTS videos and listening to the OST non-stop since I finished the series 2 weeks ago.

Wait - there's more!!!! What till you find the 300 hours of BTS videos and commentary videos etc..
And of course The Untamed Special Edition and all the places on Twitter, Instagram and FB devoted to it.

Welcome to my world and all of us here who have all been obsessed.....

This was me last month and had to force myself to move on for my own sanity lol
I still haven't gone through all the BTS material...I miss Xiao Zhan and Wang Yibo so so much..need their new dramas!

Indeed,it was AMAZING!!!! Started watching it kinda after episode 10 on live and was OBSESSED with it stalking like the pages for the weekly trailers knowing the hour they would be released and after on point on the site they posted the RAW episodes jajaj only to come back after to watch it with subtitles...now i have the drama on my PC and return to it from time to time...Even watched on yt reactions to it jajja
And must say i knew about the drama from a year before when it was showing upcoming dramas and was intrested in it but nothing wow nor did i know the plot beforehand(reading novel or manhua) so maybe i enjoyed even more as unlike many avid fans was into the whole storyline and conversations un not just somehow following every small gesture as a love sign between our heroes(if u know what i mean)...I must say i was really into Wei WuXian's whole dark arc and even wanted to know more about the flute,the amulet and how Wei WuXian controlled them etc...
I confess i was a bit annoyed that from each episodes most of the fans were all about the romantic gestures or what they percieved were putting the rest on a second plan when i was all about the deep of the conversations,the magic and the mistery jjaja...

People have told me that for Chinese dramas, after the first 10 episodes, you'll know whether the drama is a go or no-go. It took me a while to get through the first 10 episodes of the Untamed, but after that I couldn't stop watching the next episode.

Recomand Joy of Life as well,another amazing drama u shouldn't miss!

I'm currently watching that because I heard it was a good drama. Also, Xiao Zhan is in it and he sings the ending theme song. That's a plus since I'm not over the Untamed yet. :)

Happy weekend Beanies and Keep Beaning On!

โ€œDo not start things you cannot finishโ€ was the phrase of the week.๐Ÿ˜†

First, there was the unexpected arrival, without any notice, from my huge web shop order. Long, unclear story short: the probably shady seller probably ran off and asked another new company to deliver their delayed orders. Thankfully, my order was exactly what it was supposed to be and the payment immediately got registered by the web shop. We are not out of the woods yet, because there still is that small fine we are trying to cancel through our insurance and law firm partnership, but the worst part should be over by now and I can sleep and eat again in peace! ๐Ÿฅณ

I also started 2 K-dramas and a movie franchise on a whim last weekend, with another K-drama on the verge of becoming the third one.๐Ÿ˜… While knowing very well that I have job application deadlines, job exams and a few domestic city trips to juggle from next week onwardsโ€ฆ. I predict a lot of binging in between writing cover letters and packing during the next week!๐Ÿ˜‚

I will not be on OT or WWAW next weekend, because a good friend is picking me up next Friday for a sleepover. My K-drama friend and I are staying at her apartment until the following Monday and we will explore her city as well if the weather allows it. My inner Beanie despairs a bit to go without episodes or Dramabeans that long, but it will be a healthy change of scenery on so many levels.๐Ÿ˜Š

Enjoy the change of scene!

Almost done with Live Up to your Name and Suspicious Partner .
Waiting desperately for the weekend so I can watch IONTBO!

Oooh, how are you liking Suspicious Partner? I actually really enjoyed that one - it was just the kind of fluffy I needed at the time (and probably the last thing I saw JCW in that I liked).

I loved Suspicious Partner. So the law part was a mess :p but the couple was great. I love the heroine, she was a badass but not a stupid one, she didn't go in park the night alone for example.

Amen. She was plucky and smart, and the whole thing was just enough madcap to make it entertaining. They were a fun couple, and the ensemble was fun, too.

I started watching Suspicious Partner because of JCW but loved it for Dong Ha. He was awesome in that show.๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

You should watch Judge vs Judge, Dong Ha was great

I couldnโ€™t agree more about Dong Haโ€™s performance in SP. Another of his dramas that I can recommend is LAST (2015) (Viki).
Good news. DH has completed his military service and is cast in the upcoming drama OCNโ€™s MISSING: THE OTHER SIDE.

I like it! Struggled through K2 so JCW is better in this one. And as someone already alluded, the legal stuff requires some suspension of disbelief but eh whatever. The leading lady is great...I loved her in 100 Days My Prince.

The K2 is only Netflix list - I started the first ep but only got about 10 mins in. Not sure if I should keep going...but I felt the same way about Healer, and then ended up thoroughly enjoying it. Though sounds like maybe I should give K2 a miss?

I'm no expert, but Healer is superior to K2. For starters the female lead has a solid role and the chemistry between the two leads exists.

I watched Live up to your name relatively recently because it is in Netflix, and I used to have Netflix on my mobile phone (not anymore), and... I liked it. There were parts I felt really frustrated with it, but I liked it very much in general, so I would also recommend it. ๐Ÿ™‹

The part where acupuncture needles were used with no sterilizing in the old days? Yeah that got me too.....

I am struggling this week. On Tuesday I had to take the covid test. I was showing symptoms (really just generic cold symptoms) but someone I helped at work the week before was living with someone with covid. I am convinced its just a summer cold, but considering that my city and county are hotspots in the middle of a spike and Im part of the "vulnerable population" taking the test was in an "overabundance of caution".
But still thinking about how this virus is killing people who look like me in disproportionate numbers and thinking that I might have it--no matter that I think that I dont--is pretty scary.
Especially since I live in a city with no support system and no friends. This week of waiting has brought my thoughts to the darkest they've been since I was a suicidal teenager.
And my gem of a manager took this time to 1. Berate me for not getting something done THAT I BOUGHT TO HIS ATTENTION on the day I got sick and 2. Completely change the layout of the childrens area that I spent a week designing amd implementing by myself with help from no one else. 3. Dismantle a project I was in the middle of because someone else wanted the books I was using. When I try to explain why Im upset to my friends outside of the library profession no one seems to see the huge lack of respect. Not just what he did--which was massively disrespectful--but telling me while Im waiting to hear if I have a thing that could kill me when I literally have nothing to do all day but look up symptoms and say "Oh I have that!" So I no longer even know if I legit dont feel well still or if all the cold like symptoms that I had on Monday have dispersed and now Im full of just pyschosomatic symptoms. Its the same as when he told me literally on the day before the anniversary of my mothers death that I needed to get over it.
Not a single person that I work with has reached out to see if Im ok. Like even if no one knows exactly why Im out sick-- Ive been out for a complete week.
This week when Im already under the weather, my thoughts are a mess, being reminded of how little Im respected at work and how no one likes me there? Makes it really hard to want to go back. Like I said. My mental space has been incredibly dark this week.
Thank you for keeping me so entertained on the wall this week, Beanies! Literally the only bright spot in my day right now!

Sounds like you are managing a lot. Self-care, remember that you are important to 'you' first.

Dramas, Head of the Class and Beanies!
I AM trying to practice self care and trying to think of ways that I can change my life when this is over. But its hard when my inner angry demon is trying to run the show.

That inner angry demon can run the show pretty well can't it. From personal experience, it really sucks when you get no respect at work! And add to all that the current circumstances.

It's a bit of a bastard is all Im saying. Ive never been its biggest fan.
My friend keeps telling me to not try so hard and just go in there and to the bare minimum because Im not going to stop being treated like crap. For me its the difference between a job and a career. I genuninely love childrens services and know too much about it to go in there and half ass it. But im not appreciated or respected for what I do.

I feel you, disrespect at work sucks and you can't escape it, since supervisor never really change.
But I really hope your test result is negative and you're feeling better soon! Lots of hugs!

Thank you! Im sure itll be negative. Ill know on Monday or Tuesday at the latest. Just gotta shake that negativity and find something to do with myself when I can leave my apartment again.

When I'm stuck with negative thoughts I watch a lot of Variety Shows or Chief Kim. Whacky humour helps me the most when I'm too captured with dark thoughts to concentrate on a more serious drama.

Ive been watching the 1980s sitcom Head of the Class. i love it! It requires nothing from me. And I may try a book and some pizza later.

I hope youโ€™re feeling better now.
Fighting!

Not yet but hopefully soon!

My best friend recently recovered from Covid19 and this is what I told her on a daily basis, "this too shall pass". There will be better workplace environment next time if you hang on enough for this one. There will be better times when this pandemic goes down which it shall because nature will regain equilibrium surely.
Meanwhile, will more screenshots of KSH cheer you up? Let us know which oppa cheers you up :)

Yall have been cheering me up all week. All of the chats on the wall have reminded me that even though my support system irl is dismal I do have a super strong one here. Beanies are the best. Shrug.

The feeling is mutual. Get well soon from the cold ๐Ÿ˜

I'm sorry to hear about your work situation; it can be incredibly frustrating to enjoy the work you do but the people/system makes it a miserable experience.

Everyone has offered words of comfort so I won't belabor the point here. I will just add that it's also important to remember that IT IS OK TO NOT BE OK (ok honestly, didn't mean to borrow the drama title, it just seemed apt as I was typing the first three words). We think we need to get over the negative emotions and rush to see the positive. But sometimes we just need/want to wallow in the negative feels and be in the moment. And that takes courage too. Your feelings are valid and you do you.

P.S. Have my fingers crossed you don't have covid ๐Ÿคž

Ive given myself the ok to not check my email for the rest of the time Im off. And to DO check the inhouse joblistings. He doesnt want me there and I dont want to be there. Maybe his dislike will make him help me find a different position.

Oh isa I'm sorry you've had a crappy week. I hope and pray your results will be negative.

I just heard something from a YouTuber I follow that resonated with me and I hope it does with you as well. She said, "if you're stuck in a job you don't like, do your best while you're there but don't give up on your dreams". I don't know what your dreams are but I hope you would focus on them and use them as your fuel to keep going on and to bloom where you've been planted while you work towards something better.

**hugs**

It's a scary time for you, and at times like that everything seems to go wrong. Immerse yourself in as many dramas as you can, especially the therapeutic ones. I hope your test comes back negative. If it doesn't hang in there and try to watch more dramas if you are up to it. Stuff the job at the moment. It will all seem better when you are feeling less terrified. You are brave.

He really is the king of the a**hats, isn't he? I'm not a librarian and I know better than to take your books. I'd be tempted to use my time to imagine ways to get even. (I wouldn't actually do it, but thinking about it would make me feel better).

My fingers are crossed that you have a simple summer cold and you'll hear the comforting news that you're okay soon.

Ok that just made me laugh right out loud. Yes he is. I shoukd do a little bow every time I see him to make my time pass faster!

Hahaha that would really confuse him ๐Ÿคฃ

Just a small one though, to show disrespect for the king.

I seriously need a diet for my thumbs. That should be an ! not a $

All I can say is that I'm sorry everything is awful. I hope your Covid test comes back negative and that your boss wakes up to a bed full of angry ants. I'll try to think of other revenge scenarios and send them telepathically into the universe and maybe, just maybe, something good will happen.

I'm thinking bed bugs and if Isa is unlucky she still knows where to find them. A few in his work bag... I'm just saying...

Come now. We all know Im unlucky. But Im (knock on wood) winning the bed bug battle. When my bed broke at 4:45 in the morning 2 weeks ago (lucky) I bought a bedframe that is bedbug resistant and my air mattress is bed bug resistant. I have been sleeping like a dang person who sleeps good all week long.
When I think about it my bed breaking ot broke just in time for my week of covid stressing so I could sleep. So luck was on my side?

That's the optimistic spirit!

Or dont worry about telepathically sending me revenge ideas. Talk to the universe tell it to leave me tf alone for awhile and focus on someone else. Unless it wants to send me lovely things like a new apartment with a balcony, wd hookups, and a dishwasher. Oh! And a job where the manager isnt a fucking asshole.

I should buy a lottery ticket. But then I'd have to go into the store to get it, and there are people with germs in there. I don't know if I can do it isa.

Egads. The pandemic has taught me.that Ameticans are selfish, entitled, mask hating asses. Avoid them! Avoid them at all costs! Dont you go out there with those people and catch you some covid. The test itself is a sneeze. The week wait? Is gross.

Iโ€™m sorry youโ€™re having a tough week! Hereโ€™s hoping itโ€™s just a cold - I found having the test, even though I was pretty sure itโ€™d be negative (and it was), made everything seem extra real to me. It sucks having a bad boss anytime but they really seem to take advantage when youโ€™re working because itโ€™s a vocation and not just a job. I hope things are looking up soon.

Of course you canโ€™t just do the bare minimum because you have your self-respect to take into account ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ I hope your boss gets shingles. And, of course, that you donโ€™t have COVID. What a royal pain in the ass that Koreans were doing drive through tests with 15 minute results months ago and we still donโ€™t have it together. Today I started thinking about moving to New Zealand.

New Zealand, Canada...

Hi there. Screw those people. We like you and respect you here.

I, too, worked at a place where I wasnโ€™t at all appreciated. Knew how difficult it was. It brought down your mental spirit and everything sucked. The only way to get out of it is to literally get out of it. When you are right at the place you belong to, youโ€™ll feel greatly appreciated, welcome, and even loved.

Allow yourself time to grieve and be angry. I think that was the best cure for me. I tried not to judge whether which emotions were right or wrong, which ones I should or shouldnโ€™t have. Itโ€™s just natural to be ok and not ok and I Just canโ€™t control this.

Btw, if this can make you feel any better, I missed the TOEFL test today. Itโ€™s pretty expensive, but last night I couldnโ€™t sleep at all. I had a terrible menstruation cramp and all my gum and teeth hurt because of the dental service I got yesterday. I hadnโ€™t been to the test center so I probably needed to wake up and drive there so very early in the morning and if that was the case Iโ€™d only have 3 hours left to sleep. That would suck and I decided to take a med, not attend the test (this time), forget about that large sum of money I spent and go to sleep.

Looking at the state of mind Im in now I think Iโ€™ve made the right decision.

@isthatacorner
I am so very sorry you had such a hard week. *sends virtual big hugs*
Your manager sounds absolutely HORRIBLE!!!!!
But know that you are loved here and we all want you to know that, and we want you to find some way to clear your head, take a breath, remind yourself that whatever is going on with your manager has nothing to do with you - it's his problem. But also I'm so sorry for this time of year on the anniversary of your mom's death.
Be kind to yourself and pat yourself on the back. You will get through each day - one day at a time!
**fighting!!!**

Take better care of yourself. Hope you stay healthy!

I had to get tested for covid a couple of weeks ago, but luckily it did turn out to be the summer cold I thought it was ~ here to say that it is possible!

That said, while waiting days for the test results to come back, unable to work or leave the apartment, I was an utter wreck.

Also I did actually have to change work departments a couple months ago for the sake of my mental health, so I totally feel you there too...

Hang in there, chingu. We will get through 2020. Somehow.

Happy Friday!

I'm still digging to watch body-swapping 2010-2011 comedy-drama Secret Garden.

hello everyone. hope everyone is safe and sound at home trying to survive this forced confinement.
i am happy that I got to do so much while sitting at home then i miss watching so many dramas all at once cause I watching jus 3 for now.
Hows everyone ????

Any recommendations for excellent Feel Good dramas? Life is really hard right now and I need all the pick me up I can get.

Reply 1988, Radiant, Mystic pop up bar, Go back couple

Love Reply 1988! primarily because I remember watching the 1988 Olympics as a kid off course, but the fashions! The fashions!

Thank you! I will check them out. :)

Check out Because This Is My First Life, Age of Youth and Second 20s.

BTIMFL! BTIMFL! BTIMFL!

Fight My Way, Weightlifting Fairy or if you're looking for some cracky fun, Graceful Family.

I loved weightlifting fairy! Definitely adding it to my rewatch list. Thank you!

I second Go Back Couple, and I'll add Thirty But Seventeen and the mini drama to.Jenny.
Hwaiting! I hope things get better for you soon :)

This list is perfect and needs BTIMFL added to it.

Thank you for the support. <3

I'm now watching 10-year old sci-fi Joseon X-Files! :)

Hospital Playlist all the way!

Some other dramas I enjoyed because it brought me the peace of mind:

- When the Weather is Fine
- Chocolate
- Live Up to Your Name
- My Husband Mr.Oh

To give you some different options:

Put You Head On My Shoulder (C-Drama)
Chief Kim (not so much feel good but very funny)
HIStory2: Crossing the Line (LGBTQ+/BL. Proof that good BL's exist)
Something About One Percent (2016 ver)
The Romance of Tiger and Rose (C-Drama)

Up for another Hannibal related ranting or discussion. Any fannibals here, care to join?

Hello everyone.. well the last four months have been a bit of a rough patch, I was finally able to get back to school and I felt like I was getting back on track but now I don't know, heck I am nolonger even disappointed in my shortcomings, I have learned to live with it all.... Reading helps cope with the happenings.. but else everything I believe will get back to normal fingers crossed... Happy open thread beanies...

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Fighting!

Fighting!

My ADHD really kicked in this past week. I watched, One More Time, worked on getting further into, The Great King Sejong, and started, Secret Door. King Sejong and Crown Prince Sado are my favorite Korean historical personages. But just yesterday I was reminded of how much I enjoyed, Secret Love Affair, and I decided to search comments about it on Dramabeans--I was surprised to find that many commentators on it are still commenting on this page today. I wanted to immediately watch SLA again, but was able to calm myself, putting that off until later. All of this is because I'm anxiously waiting episode 13 of, My Unfamiliar Family.

I rarely watch anything twice, but I go back to SLA and skim through it for scenes with Yoo Ah-In and also for the music with both leads together. Looking forward to catching Kim Hee-ae in World of the Married when it eventually comes my way. SLA gets better every time I watch it.

We couldn't ask for better leads than Yoo Ah In and Kim Hee Ae. They are absolutely both excellent actors. I have a few favorites that I've watch two or more times: Sungkyunkwan Scandal (love YAI in this one); Legend of the Blue Sea; Love Affairs in the Afternoon; and Road No. 1.

Haha I was trying to figure out what kdrama was My ADHD!

Happy Friday! Lovely Friday! The closest day to Saturday!

Itโ€™s already Saturday here! ๐Ÿ˜Ž the best day of the week

Wow... really. My day is now Saturday! The same.

If you think that all stories in k-dramas and movies about corruption and sex crimes are exaggerated, see this story.

Oh criminey. You canโ€™t make this sh*t up ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ