Open Thread #671

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Record of Youth and Forest of Secrets Season 2 survived it.

Korean Baseball and ESPN might ended their temporary deal if Level 3 Covid-19 in SKorea means no more baseball, I think.

hey beanies ! hope everyone’s doing well

drama updates:
- i finished moon lovers: scarlet heart ryeo 😭😭😭. even though i knew what was gonna happen before i watched, i still cried so much. i really thought that wang so becoming the king would solve every problem, but i feel like his relationship with su deteriorated bc he became king?? i was honestly really mad with the last few eps and how the plot resolved because it kills me that they went through so much to get together and then their relationship fell apart because of communication issues? UGHHH. but i really did love this show, while i’m mad about how it ended, it kept me on the edge of my seat each time. the romance between wang so and hae su is probably my second favorite i’ve seen (first goes to the second lead from reply 1988 *insert flood of tears* — i know some people are watching so i don’t wanna spoil anything!) i’ll just be rewatching interviews of the cast together and moments of iu and joongi oppa to cure my heart in the meantime.

- i finished sky castle. this drama NEVER disappointed me, it completely deserves those high ratings (imo reply 1988 was better bc of the friends and family relationships, but sky castle is a v worthy competitor). this show also made me think about the whole education system a lot. the only bad thing about this show is that it’s made me hate my own college admission process even more LMAOOO. i’m trying to get other non kdrama fans to watch this show because i feel like it’s not a super typical drama? there isn’t a main romance and while there are some crazy moments, it was so well-acted and executed that i never even doubted anything. sky castle will definitely be in my list of top 5 kdramas, maybe even top 3 — after reply 1988 and prison playbook.

life updates:
- i got my license officially, and for my first solo drive i played shin hae chul’s “to you” (which also happens to be the r88 theme song— when will i ever get over this show?). it was an amazing feeling to just drive by myself and sing as loud as i want to music i love- after shin hae chul i was just jamming to iu and the blue (weird combo but whatever). i hope you guys can be as happy as am when i drive!!

- i’m gonna be taking a short break from drama watching :((( well, not a complete break, but i’ll be slowing down my watching. my school starts in about a week (online, thank god), and i have summer work that i still need to complete. for right now, i’ll only be watching flower of evil because it releases weekly so i won’t be super distracted by watching (and i’m behind on eps already). i have SO MANY DRAMAS that i’ve started this summer but didn’t get time to finish (while you were sleeping, mr sunshine, coffee prince), and so many more on my watchlist (about 30+), but i need to focus on school. if online school isn’t that difficult i can ease back in slowly, and i’ll either finish one i’ve started or start fight for my way (recommended by @juniebug :) ). slightly sad abt...

(it got cut off) - slightly sad abt slowing down dramas bc these shows have kept me positive throughout this pandemic and everything happening in the us, but no matter what i’ll keep coming on DB, i love just talking abt dramas and to this community.

hope you guys have a great weekend !

love,
shachi

ps for MLSHR— isn’t it kinda funny how sung dong il’s daughter in ML is named sundeok but in r88 it’s deoksun?? and how many times do i have to watch jisoo be a second or third lead?? (and even tho he was a first lead in my first first love he only got w the girl in the last 3 eps)

Congrats, Sung, you had a driver's license already! :)

i passed the road test friday, but the lines in my state are crazy long to get approved for the card, so it took me a while to be able to drive !

Moon Lovers Scarlet Heart Ryeo was the last drama I've watched that was dreamy and surreal and had all the dark sibling rivalry of a royal family that makes for lots of tears and heartache. I was looking for it the other day to rewatch (I know where to ff) but couldn't easily find it anywhere. Where did you watch it? I LOVE driving too, it's my stress reliever believe it or not. Congrats on passing the road test and happy and safe driving!

thank you !! (what does ff mean?) i have to resort to dram****l or k***asian to watch it bc it isn't on viki or any streaming thing in the us

fast forward

Ok, yeah I know it’s not easy to track down in a good format. Wish VIkI played it.
Fast forward, 😂

oh LOL i should've known that. idk why my comment got censored, but you can also use drama nice -- it's not in hd quality but it's still pretty good

Congratulations on getting your driver's license!

Yayyy congrats on your license!! Also, I feel like I need to go on that slowdown right about now too but I really don't wanna LOL If you start FMY, let me know what you think!!

Congratulations on your licence! Feels like such a milestone when you get that ticked off 😊

Congratulations on license! I still am not able to drive. :-D But living in cities with excellent public transport allows you to live without it!

Little Boy - 915k - September 19

Still has the momentum and now I'm concerned for this present weak body whereas Mind is feeling a bit of excitement. I was able to fight off hunger but little boy brings a genuine new game into the play.

Kids drink milk, adults drink alcohol. I have seen this jibe a few times.
Then there are cold drinks consumer who don't appreciate water.
Fizzy Drinks brings down the range to very few products. Just to artificial drinks aka Soda.
This is why i always use cold drinks to brings many more in definition.
Milk consumer who is only into water+milk and fruit juices.
Jibe is almost a -ve tease a bit malicious. But even if someone seriously think like that, no problem. Its their view,opinion and they have right to have it. Whether someone consider someone other not real man, not real adult just because the other isn't into drinking alcohol, even then no problem. You have every right to accept or not approve and acknowledge their view. Always keep things simple and think things through, ofcourse facemasks are unable to digest even these superficial things.

Several weeks ago i said if you have to go then you have to move forward with polarising the voter. Target was Indian-Americans and we had 2 earlier events where President-PM combi manufactured vast support image. But this time opponent played the Vice-president card where VP is playing region and skin card too. This is fun. Game is being played where the only winner is both parties. common man is mocking itself. This is what you call real time, real life fun.
In democracy power is decentralised but people see only politicians at top level while completely ignoring the system and bureaucracy. Mayors, governors and public workers get away quite easily doing lots and lots of dodgy stuff. Half of the time people don't even know whom they are voting for locally as their most of attention is aimed at top. Things don't happen randomly. Things happen over time, Its just that people now are paying attention to these things because the same people are now directly facing the heat. Any leader is just a symptom, blaming him/her is just a tactic of facemasks to evade any responsibility.

Hi, Beanies! It’s a long time since I visited there OT, so I just want to say hello!!

Also, as Covid is getting in the way of new dramas, I’m going through my “to watch list” to decide what to watch. I’ve already decided the next one will be Familiar Wife, but these ones I have some doubts, please share your thoughts:

- VIP.
- A beautiful mind.
- The undateables.
- Misaeng.
- Hyena.
- Doctor Stranger.
- Save me.

Thanks!!

VIP had one of the most boring male lead. But the women were pretty great.

I don't really remember A Beautiful Mind, but I'm not very fan of Jang Hyuk in modern drama. The OST Dirt by Bernard Park was beautiful otherwise.

Misaeng was very interesting and carried by a good casting.

I had serious doubts about vip... thanks for your comment.

The problem with Lee Sang-yoon in VIP was the character. I think I complained at the time that he didn't get to do anything but look like a whipped dog. I'd like to count the minutes he was on screen, saying nothing, just staring.

I see... that kind of character 🤦🏼‍♀️

I was totally speaking about the character and not actor. The female characters were doing the conversations by themselves when they were with him... I still don't get how 3 of them could have feelings for him...

In fact I do like Lee Sang Yoon. He’s the reason I didn’t quit About time...

I just love LSY, the person. Only have seen him in Master of the House and Liar Game. If Gong Yoo isn’t a available after my husband, it’s LSY all the way. Love that he was a physics major in college.

I've watched 3 out of your list, and this is how I'd rate them -

1. Misaeng - right up there with the top of all time kdramas - a. little bit longer than it need have been but doesn't take away from its high quality - Lee Sung-min at his finest.

2. Hyena - a riot for the most part, high energy at the start, fizzles out slightly, but entertaining pretty much through and through. It's a great OTP.

3. The Undateables - DROPPED it like a hot potato. I found it terrible.

Thanks. I had that feeling about The undateables... I don’t really like HJE, the problem is I love NKM 🤷🏼‍♀️

It's a snooze fest unless you have nothing else to watch and in that case, please let me know how it ended because I totally lost interest despite my love for NKM.

I don't think I'll give it a chance.

I went into the undateables for my love of NKM but dropped it after two episodes, and still that was me trying to endure. Have you watched Can you hear my heart though? They're both great in that one. It's a bit slow in the start but otherwise as complete as a nice pie.

No... it's the same problem with HJE... the only show I liked her was in MPUB. I'm watching right now Men are Men and even if she's not the worse thing about it, she's not the reason I haven't dropped...

Yes to VIP! Awesome female cast, don’t mind the ML like Kurama said he’s quite boring.

Jang Nara is the reason I had it on my radar.

MISAENG!!!!! Been a constant in my top 10 drama list ever since it aired in 2014. It can be a little painful to get through, but it’s so worth it in the end. I hope you watch it, it’s such an experience!

Let me represent the BEAUTIFUL MIND fans. It was one of my early kdramas (10th) and of course my first Jang Hyuk dramas.
He gave an awesome performance. I went and took a refresher look at the cast at AsianWiki:
It has a great cast.
Try to work in BEAUTIFUL MIND and it is only 14 episodes.

Big fan of Jang Hyuk here too, and 14 episodes is always a plus.

Apologies for being a bit snarky at the end. BEAUTIFUL MIND had 2 episodes cut from 16 episodes to 14 which annoyed many of us.
That being said I give credit to Writer Kim Tae-hee for giving us a good ending from what I recall.

I agree with @bong soo about A beautiful mind. I was upset too,, that they cut two episodes and I feel the plot suffered from it, but Jang Hyuk killed his role.
There were many intense scenes, and everybody's acting was great. The casting was very good. I can help but recommend it.

If you're itching for another SYJ drama, Save Me is really, really good. Also, WDH's in it which is definitely another plus haha. It can get dark and there were times where I needed to take a break from the show because I was binging it. But, the plot is solid, it's very accurate, and it's an overall interesting drama to watch. The acting is also very well done (SYJ is just stellar).

As for Doctor Stranger... I watched it for LJS and PHJ but the second half of the drama is just weird (to say the least). There are so many random things that happen that are just there to move the plot along and don't really have a place. I watched it a while ago so I don't really remember what happened in it, but I just remember that it started off strong/mediocre (I liked the first third) and then deteriorated over time. If you're a fan of FF, you should be able to get through it haha

thanks for the tips... when you don't remember what really happened, the show is not worth it, let's admit it.

Oh definitely. The FL is also very bland but I'm not sure if it was because of her acting or her character. I just remember this one scene right when everything was going downhill and it was completely unnecessary.... so, yeah probably stay away LOL

I get a kick out of remembering how perplexingly bad Doctor Stranger was. I watched the whole thing just because I was trying to work out what on Earth was going on but also because LJS and PHJ had the most chemistry and I was rewriting the whole thing as polyamory in my head.

The LJS and PHJ moments were by far the best things. I remember reading the recaps as I was watching and those were the only things keeping me entertained.

I agree with your review of Save Me. I also binged it recently because of SYJ and it can be very difficult to watch because of the themes that it dealt with, such as abuse, bullying, suicide, injustice. (It's also hard seeing our girl SYJ suffer so much. 😅) The malevolent cult personalities also creeped me out, especially since they are inspired from real cults. SYJ is indeed stellar in this. It's like you are watching and feeling everything unfold through her character, Im Sang Mi. Every emotion just shone through. I mentioned it in another post in that it was a performance so assured and authentic. There are scenes where I just want to give her a standing ovation. (It's a travesty that she never got an award nor a nomination for this.) WDH also delivered as Dong Cheol and performed better than the male lead, Taecyeon. The only other thing that I was angry about is the lack of a love line, considering that Dong Cheol, bless his good heart, sacrificed a lot for Sang Mi. WDH and SYJ also looked great together.

Oh my gosh, the people in the cult freaked me out to no end. It was really hard for me to get through those scenes especially when Sangmi was involved. It's also safe to say that beyond SYJ I was watching this for WDH. Taecyeon had his moments but WDH stole the show on several occasions. As for SYJ's acting, she didn't get awards or nominations for her work?? Whaatt? That's really unbelievable.

Thanks to you and @juniebug for hyping Save Me. I want to watch it SO BADLY but I'm worried it will ratchet up my anxiety if it's this good and I get sucked in and start worrying about the protagonists. I'm thinking: watch in little doses and also watch something lighter alongside it to balance out?

That's what I'm planning to do. Watch it along another light drama. As I said before when I watched My Ahjussi I couldn't watch more than one episode a day, it was too hard to watch. I have the feeling that Save Me and Misaeng will have the same effect. So planning to watch them with a lighter show, just to compensate.

Yeah, that's probably a smart idea and something I should've done haha I hope you and @eazal enjoy it!!

I'm actually quite surprised that I finished Save Me considering how dark and disturbing it was. I almost dropped it after the first episode. I credit my newfound great love for SYJ for helping me through. LOL. I would have to admit though that it is not a drama that I can watch again. I got through Save Me by also watching the behind the scenes on Youtube. Really great to see SYJ just being smiley and adorable in the bts with her co-stars. I may have also developed a crush on WDH. 😍 On to my next SYJ drama, Lawless Lawyer. ;)

@juniebug @carlybisek @eazal Lovely video about KMY from The Swoon: https://youtu.be/-6iTIKbYN3c. People really fell head over heels in love with the character, just look at the comments. It's not very often that I read essays on YT comments. And written as coherently and articulately. 😅 KMY is definitely a career defining role for SYJ. I can't wait for her next projects.

Thanks so much for sharing this! This whole thread is like a cozy little SYJ / KMY Beanie fan club, I love it.

I loved that video!! SYJ is definitely climbing up my ranks of favorite female actresses haha

Hyena is a lot of fun! And Save Me is creepy and addictive and wonderfully acted - Seo Yeji and Woo Dohwan combo is amazing, plus all the veteran support cast (and Go Joon, he!)

You've been telling me to watch Hyena for so long... and everybody is telling me it is fun, so it's a definite yes.

I liked Hyena (In spite of a lot of unrealistic "legal" stuff).

I started "The Undatables" with a lot of hope. I like Namgoong Min and do not like the actress at all. And initial few episodes were fun but it was the classic "curse of third act" for me. (actually, it started being sloppy from second act itself)

(I wish K-Dramas stop obsessing over the childhood connection, the hoops the writers seem to jump through to make it happen often derails the stories)

Yes, I get you. I have the same feelings for the leads, and I don't thin my love for NKM is enough to give it a try to this one. Thanks!!

Mine was! (But Love hurts) LOL!

(I will not suggest you to watch this even though he looked super cute)

Did you try watching "I love alone" episodes with NKM in it?

no, I will look for it!

I really enjoyed Familiar Wife. I feel like it got overlooked as it aired just a little after Go Back Couple ended (from what I remember).

I've only seen three on your list, A Beautiful Mind, Hyena, and Save Me. All three were so-so in my opinion. I couldn't get into Doctor Stranger.

I've only seen Misaeng and I can't recommend it enough. Why do you have doubts about it though?

I find 20 episode dramas harder to watch, that’s why I’ve kept it in the “to watch” list for so long.

Makes sense. Plus it also a drama which I think should be taken in small bites. I recommend watching a light show with it. Misaeng isn't depressing or sad as MA but the slice of life part gets too real. I binged it too but I just gave it an episode a day and watched it with another show.

The DB recaps are fun to read for Dr Stranger but the show itself sounded like a very hot mess.

Competitive surgery. North Korean spies. A love interest so bland she practically faded into the walls. A romance plotline where all the moments of connection and intimacy involve the male lead and a another woman. A conspiracy lacking any internal logic, the denouement of which showed that most of what happened on screen had no purpose.

I'm almost tempted to rewatch.

LOL!!!!

That definitely convinced me not to get close to it.

Add to that people repeatedly falling dramatically to their deaths in conveniently-to-hand rivers only to show up later apparently fine. Doctor Stranger was so epicly atrocious that it didn't even make my "so bad it's good" cut. I gave up and turned to the last episode in the hopes that the male lead ditched the female (more wooden than my dining room table) lead only to see yet ANOTHER dramatic fall into water. Which once again showed its magical rejuvenating properties.

Misaeng is probably in my top 5 K-dramas of all time. I was initially hesitant to watch it being an "office drama" but eventually caved in due to good feedback from beanies. I think it came at a right time for me in that I was struggling at work at that time and was close to resigning. As corny as this may sound but watching it made me persevere. I wouldn't suggest marathoning this though as it can be disheartening to watch, with its very realistic execution. It can remind you of people that you know in real life. 😉 Pace can be a bit slow and deliberate. The cast was fantastic though, with Lee Sung Min delivering a truly heartfelt performance as Manager Oh. The lengths that his character is willing to go through to stand up for his principles and beliefs and his team is really admirable. Byun Yo Han's character is a scene stealer.

I can understand what you mean. Something similar happened when I watched My Ahjussi. It was hard to watch more than one episode a day.

It isn't corny at all, I was reminded of Misaeng a lot at work too and even though I related it earlier to themes like being a misfit or changing career paths etc, after getting to work I appreciated it more for its pretty accurate portrayal of work life of newbies. I did persevere (a little though) because of it too because I was reminded that JGR had it so bad lol. I will have to say though, there aren't many Manager Oh's in real life so JGR was also lucky.

I only watched VIP from your list, and I think it's one of the best drama of 2019 (even if I agree LSY doesn't shine. Or talk. Or do something).
The undateables was one of the first drama I dropped. When I never dropped.

I'd love to know what you think of Familiar Wife. It's on my TBW list, but just haven't pressed play yet.
From the corner of shame ... Undateables is the only one on your list I've watched, and I made it all the way through (do I get a prize or a kimchi slap to wake me up). Sometimes my bar is v. low (maybe non-existent?) for rom-coms. Or maybe I'm one of those people who just can't give something 0 stars? I actually do like Hwang Jung Eum, but yeah, way to annoying in this. Namgoong Min was deliciously silly.

Misaeng all the way long. But just like how the beanies have recommended, I would not binge it more than two episodes a day, which by the way are long... so, take it easy.
And if you can combine with a lighter one, that will be great.

Hyena was a pretty fun drama. It fizzled out a little by the end but the OTP and the pace of tej previous episodes make up for it. I had a lot of fun watching it.

Hello dear beanies!
House on Wheels ep 10 with Eun Ji was the best. She is so likeable and remains one of my girl crushes from Reply 1997 and Trot Lovers. (IU is my all-time fav girl crush.)

I loved Stranger and watched it with my brother. We liked it, but when I mentioned a second season, he said, “oh no, will it be another 16-episode story that could have been told in half the number of episodes?” So, I’m wondering of those of you who are watching season 2, if you think the drama keeps a decent clip, or does it drag?

I’m startine ep 6 of Flower of Evil and find the pile up of past secrets in the lives of Hee Sung Ji Won, and Hyun Woo to be so stressful that I may not care enough to continue if things don’t start to come to light in a (semi) meaningful way soon. Again, to those who are watching and are further along, is it worth it? I like the actors, but the secrets can’t continue to over annoy me.

I can’t tell you how much I’ve love the 10 or so episodes of How Do You Play with SSAK3 making newtro “In Summer” and “Summer Ocean Again” mvs Jae Seok, Hyori, and Rain (who take on stage names for this mission of U-Doragon, Linda G, and B-Dragon) are hilarious , but their super star talents really shine! As a fan of Kwanghee from Infinite Challenge and Real Men, it was good to see him team up with Jae Seok. Kwanghee has his charms, too! Add ZICO and several other trendy musicians, and it’s a cool and fun mission in the making to watch.

I’m looking forward to Lies of Lies with Lee Yuri and Yeon Jung Hoon. Happy weekend (still summer, yay) I wish I was at the beach!
♥owl

i think the reason the first season of stranger seemed to drag was all the twist and turns. This season the political machinations makes it fun for me. But maybe people who hate politics will be bored. The Hanjo case doesn't interest me as much but i figure it will soon.

Thanks Carole, I’ll give it a try and preview it before I bring my bro into the mix, ha!

Late Night E News was recently canceled by SBS. I believe none of the big three Korean networks have a weekly entertainment news/interview show (KBS tried to revive its Guerilla Date segment as a half hour show but Covid put it on hiatus.) It gives us fans less of an opportunity to see our favorite actors in a more relaxed setting than a normal press conference.
The virus restrictions continue to push back new movie releases and putting drama productions on hold. In California, filming permits are only at 1/3 of normal; mostly for commercial films and some reality TV series. Hollywood still cannot get its health protocols in place to re-start its green lit projects. But since the completed movies are being pushed back (or fed to affiliate streaming services on pay-per-view basis), there may not be an incentive to start filming since any new completed work would be in a cue until 2022-2023 release.

Total bummer that it’s canceled. Another thing I liked was interviews with the cast for upcoming dramas and movies. I wonder if the ratings are just so low? But I like. SK news and entertainment show for behind the scenes info that otherwise I would never know about. Sad 😞

Hi Beanies... This week I started watching "Flower of Evil" although the synopsis wasn't really my thing, but the Beanies' comments about the show were so good and there's the blond LJK - and now I'm hooked. Other than that, I finally managed to finish some fairytale drawings I've been working on and upload them as a post on Bored panda. I don't know if I can share the link here but I'll try, I'd love for Beanies to check them out, too: https://www.boredpanda.com/my-tablet-and-i-have-spent-some-40-hours-together-to-bring-these-old-fairytales-to-life/

Very nice. I like the style.

They're beautiful

Lovely!

Thank you all, I'm so glad you like it. :)

Good morning peeps, For the very first time in my life. I have finally register to vote. There is only one reason. That is to get rid of the shady af school district. This whole school year and last year was meh for my daughter. In addition, they give less money to special needs per year. They also hid the name of a guy who cut special education department. Also, the supertindent, got a raise. Also, I want to know where the money goes in the school district. There is also so many other shady af stuffs. I could go on. Therefore, other to vote a new President. I want to vote rid of the chop district member and hope we get a better school board member for the kids not for themselves.

The only thing, I am watching now are Secret 2 and Dance of Phoenix. The other k dramas and Chinese dramas that I stopped will catch up later on. Happy Friday everyone. Stay healthy!!!!

i am really enjoying Dance of the Phoenix. how are you liking it?

Yay for registering to vote. If you can, go to local school board and city council meetings, it can be quite illuminating to see the personalities making decisions that affect our lives. Reading statements in the media or in minutes does not always give you the full picture of how these systems are run and by who. I will never ever forget the town board member fighting the library budget line for new books saying, "The library shelves are full, Why do we need to buy more books?"

Bring your own reading material though, they can be a real snooze fest.

Oh yeah. That too. I like to bring my knitting so I'm a properly weaponized old crone.

It also makes the well read council or board members nervous. I've heard at least one knitter called Madame Defarge in jest after a meeting.

What a perfect piece of imagery!

"Weaponized old crone" = retirement goals.

You should be able to get a copy of your school district's budget as well as schedule a meeting with someone from the finance department if you have specific questions (or call them to get answers).

Good for you registering to vote! Make your voice heard! It used to make me crazy when they replaced the computers kids practiced on every 3 years (immediately obsolete, so why bother?), but my son's 4th grade class had 38 kids in it.
Many communities post video of school board and city council meetings online, so if you're pressed for time, you can keep track of what they are doing and use the fast forward button to skip what is boring.

Hi Beanies! I hope the week and August treated you well. August has been a meh month for me in all aspects so I'm glad it's almost over. Over the past few years, I've realized August is never the greatest month for me. I'm in a bit of a funk and frustrated with work so that's been my month in a nutshell. I haven't watched any dramas in two weeks. I'm planning to take a few days off next week so I am hoping to get back into the swing of things.

Good job on making it to the end of August, you did well ♡ I’ve also been struggling a bit with work lately, so you’re not alone there! Sending you support and hoping that you manage to take a really good rest and bounce back feeling better!

Hugs to you! Hopefully September will be better for both of us work-wise and generally :)

If you want a break from K-, C-, J- dramas, check out "Bad Genius", a Thai drama. I thought Thai only had Lakorns (similar to Makjang, Telenovella, Soap Operas) and BL themed shows but this one is serious and really exciting. It's based on the hit movie of same name and is very stressful watching it so may need a break between episodes! What I like the most is how CLEVER the female lead is!!!

The movie created too much anger in me... That poor boy got the shortest end of the stick...

Am sure every day of his life he regrets meeting those kids.... They came in made his life hell and then just left...

I watched the movie version. I give it a try.

happy friday lovely beanies! so here’s the update on my work situation:

the person I’m partnered with is so disorganised and has no regard for the fact that I have no choice but to rely on him to complete the project that we’re working on. on thursday, he finally got approval to send off a document. because he was already one week late to get this draft approved, my turnover time was cut down from 8 days to less than 24 hours. but I had my work done in advance, so I was ready to go.

at 3pm, projectmate says, I’m out now, I’ll email you the files by 6pm. 6 comes and goes and there’s radio silence. at 8pm, I send him a chaser asking for his work and reminding him that I’m on a (ridiculously) tight deadline (because of him). he replies saying he’s on the way home and should be ready in less than an hour. 2 hours later, still nothing. at this point, it’s 11pm, I’ve been working the entire day and I’m sick and tired of waiting. I send ANOTHER chaser and there’s no reply until midnight. projectmate sends the files and says, sorry, I got home late.

for context, I live in a tiny country, so unless he was literally walking home from one end of the island to the other, there’s no way he would’ve taken over 4 hours to get home. which means he was probably lying to me. but whatever. I have the files, so it’s all good, right? nope. I open the documents and, wow! errors relating to material facts. I text projectmate to tell him about his errors and here’s the clincher everybody: after being a week late with this work and then making me wait 9 hours for 2 files, he has the audacity to text me: could you amend my work? CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?!

I text back immediately with a firm no and tell him in the harshest tone I have ever used on a colleague that I want to finish my work in 10 minutes, end of story, and he cooperates. I finally send my portion of the work out at 12:45 in the morning. thankfully it was approved in less than 12 hours and I could move on to the next stage of the project. but man, what an experience.

I hope everybody had a much better time than I did this week 😂 HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYBODY!

Omg you did well not to strangle him, congrats on getting the work done!

he’s lucky we’re all working from home 😤

This sounds tortuous and I'm not sure if I would've handled that without blowing up at him. Hopefully your next projectmate is better and actually gets things done on time! I hope you have a great weekend too :)

unfortunately I’m stuck with this guy until the end of October 😩 here’s hoping this is a one time thing and not a habit. otherwise I don’t think I’ll be able to keep my cool...

Oh noooo, yeah hopefully he isn't like this the entire time eep Good luck with him haha!!

Woah! Do you guys have feedback system or Project Retrospective? Just to ensure this is not repeated?

I am not sure how did you manage this without blowing off your lid! Hats off! Hope your weekend pays off the debt of stress! :-D

Have a good one!

I’m actually not sure if we’ll have any peer reviews/evaluations at the end of the project ;( Unfortunately, I’m stuck with this guy for another 2 months so I’m hoping he isn’t going to be like this for the rest of the project. If I have to go through this again, there’s no way I’m going to be as accomodating as I was this time round 😠

Ouch! I feel for you! I hope there are some levers you have to use in future if this happens again!

Best luck!

Thanks for the support 🥺💘

!!! Yay for the firm no

That is a truly terrible work partner.

Good for you for making him do his own rewrites! It would be too bad (for him) if his whiny texts ended up on some company intranet, totally by accident, of course. Mwa-ha-ha!

Open threaders! Back from a hiatus from the OT to announce that one of us Beanies will be getting married in the next couple weeks and to celebrate, I’ve decided that we need a new kdramawatching and kpop playlist!

Of course, I’m talking about dear azzo and her sticky note guy and if you don’t know the story, I do have it documented somewhere. There are some very kdrama aspects of her love story, the aloof and shy female lead unawares of the crush of the male lead who definitely fell for our azzo’s charms first. A supporting cast of sisters and Beanie friends encouraging her to go out with him and the rest is drama history.

As such, our theme for next weekend (starting at 6 am Pacific Standard Time Friday 9/4/2020) will be DRAMAS WHERE THE MALE LEAD FALLS FOR THE FEMALE LEAD AT FIRST SIGHT or at least before the female lead knows his feelings. And MUSIC THEMES WHERE LOVE CONQUERS ALL, or just some new music that we can put together a new Beanie playlist (I just need some new music to listen to that’s not depressing).

So, on the Beanie wall, please suggest dramas that meet the theme or any new music that has helped you this pandemic season (kpop preferred, but not required) or about new love, love conquering all, marriage, etc. Start next Friday and we’ll go through until Sunday evening. That will give me time on Monday (Labor Day in the US) to compile it all and give to azzo for a wedding gift!

It’s fine if she knows about it, but definitely tag me when you post something, so I can get it on a list. And please tag any Beanies that you might think would want to participate! @wakimary, @delphy010, @kudoran, @waadmay, @mindy. @yyishere, @yuyuu, @sicarius

Hope to have some fun on the Beanie Wall next weekend! Stay safe and healthy everyone!

I absolutely love this Ally!!! Such a great and cute idea for Azzo! I'll be sure to add dramas/music/all of the above :)

Can’t wait!!!

where can i suggest/add songs to this? (slightly new to DB, sorry!)

Ok, no problem. Go to the tab that says Beanies. This will open thread fan wall where you can see beanies post anything they want! If you then go to your avatar and press that, then you can get to your own fan wall and post anything you want! You can go to YouTube and copy a song there and past into the fan wall post on your page or in a box that opens when you tap on the video icon. Hope that helps!

And tag me at @ally-le to your post.

will do, thank you so much for the lovely explanation :))

So last Tuesday I followed my libraries protocols and called in when I had a headache for two days and a slight fever. I was told to go take the test and quarantine. I felt really badly because were short staffed but I did it.
Monday I went back to work and while I was there I had the sharpest most intense pain in my back that reverbrated from my back to my chest to my throat. I was lying on the floor writhing in pain. I went to urgent care after work and had all the labwork done.
Tuesday my manager made me feel like such crap for calling in when we were short staffed.
We had a whole meeting of him just berating me for doing what Im supposed to do.
Wednesday my lab results came in. My hemoglobin was critically low. Go to the ER for a blood transfusion. I do that and am told Im being admitted. I text my manager that Im being admitted into the hospital and will probably not be in the next day.
Thursday late afternoon I finally get released after receiving 2 bags of blood, 2 shots of iron and making an appointment for a biopsy of a suspicious lump on my thyroid (tf?) I go home. I have a text from my manager: I guess youre not coming in at all today? Call me ASAP.
I call. He wants to know if Im coming in on Friday. We were so short staffed on Thursday. You need to call HR.
I go in today and call HR. We talk about the importance of a pcp and I say the hospital set me with an appointment with one yesterday.
HR: the hospital?
Me: yeah. I was admitted on wednesday. Im apparently anemic! Who knew?
HR: why are you at work today?
Me:....cause its my friday?
HR: Did the hospital give you a return to work date?
Me:...nooooo?
HR: YOURE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE AT WORK.
Me:....but its my day?
I call my manager and tell him all of this and hes oh. She probably thinks its covid or something. Ill call and tell her youre just anemic. Its fine.
He texts me a few minutes later. I guess I should ask of youre fine to work?
He calls a few minutes after that: You need to leave. NOW. the part timers arent supposed to be there alone but Im on my way and will be there shortly. You get out. NOW!
So. Thats been my week. I hope yalls has been better!

If it werent sad and if it didnt make my job a million times worse and uncomfortable than it really needs to be it would almost be funny

Is it bad that I'm imagining all the horrible things I want to have happen to him? How can he top himself each week? Where is @sincerelytod when you need it?

So once you have a pcp, please ask him/her about Vit B-12 deficiency as a possibility in your anemia. Apparently that's a thing. I'm soooo sorry @isthatacorner. Keep us posted and I'm hoping this is just another bump in the road.

Im beginning to think that the road is made of bumps. Shrug. I have an appointment with a pcp in a couple of weeks. Ill be sure to ask about b12. Thanks for the advice!

Omg...
I wanna choke your boss! 😡

Sorry that you have to go through this. Praying that you feel better.

Hes not great, no.im excited to feel better. Ive felt poorly for so long that I had recalibrated myself so that feeling crummy was my baseline normal. Whats it like on the other side? Im excited to see!

I hope at least you’re feeling better! Dealing with stuff like that is bad enough when you’re well.

Hopefully soon! Thanks!

WTF! I am angry!

I hope you are feeling a bit better! Take care!

Anger is my kneejerk reaction as well! I keep thinking how he got mad at me for not calling him when I had texted the night before when I was being admitted. At one point I had 4 needles poking into me and a blood pressure cuff on and I legit couldnt bend my elbows. I was not thinking of that library at that time let me tell you! Im totally fineish!

Hugs! I hope you feel better!

oh god this sounds like hell. I’m so sorry to hear this happened. fellow anaemic here, and I totally know how you must’ve felt. I hope you’re feeling much better now. rest up and stay safe!

I had no idea I was anemic until Thursday! I knew I was dragging but I just chocked it up to my ongoing fight with depression and working at a job where no one likes me. Who knew my body was in legit distress?

omg, take care and feel better soon <3

Fingers crossed!

Good god, eat better, rest, and take good care of yourself!!!

Well if the world would stop picking on me I would! Im totally trying!

"Just anaemic"
Erggghhhhhh

Sorry Isa, I'm thinking of you and hoping that the lump proves to be nothing.

Oh, same! Thank you! Im sure its totally fine. Or its not. Whatever, right?

That’s terrible! I’m glad you got some medical care though. Anemia is super dangerous! I’m sure your boss got in trouble for you working. Gah! Some people are idiots. Hope the rest of the month is uneventful for you. You deserve it.

Thanks Ally. Is it wrong that Im over here like 😈😈😈 I hope that potato DID get in trouble hehehe. I didnt know that Ibhad anemia and never thought about it being a big ol deal when I heard other people mention it before but yo--its scary!

Please take care of yourself! I'm glad HR was on the ball, but it's so hard to put yourself first when your manager is being a jerk. I work in a library too, and our manager says that no one will die if the library isn't open, so staff shouldn't worry if they can't get to work.

My manager has been very, very clear: he does not give one single solitary fig newton about the health or wellbeing of the ataff. As long as the building is in good condition and the customers arent complaining we can all be replaced. I called him when I was discharged and his exact words were "I guess I should ask if youre ok. To work." Like....damn son. Thats harsh.

Happy Friday!

Any Lucifans here? Anyone watched the new season?

I just started watching Lucifer, and I love it. Currently on Season 2, so I have not yet watched the new season, but I'm excited to see it.

Have you finished latest season yet? I’m currently on S5 E6 😁

Yes. I have finished watching it! :-D Waiting for the sixth and final season.

It is different (completely) than comics (both his role in Sandman and in Lucifer) but it is fun.

Yes! Completely up to date but I skipped S3...I'm glad Netflix picked it up - personally am enjoying it so much more!

Hi beanies, hope everyone is well.

I am just after recommendations after dramas similar to When I Was The Prettiest. Watched it recently and loved the angst and sadness. Not forgetting the sibling rivalry too, of course! I would say this is similar to dramas like Be Melodramatic and On The Way To The Airport to me.

Look forward to learning more about dramas like this, thank you!

"Love Affairs in the Afternoon." I liked it so much I've watched it twice, and am thinking of going for a third round.

I was going to recommend On The Way to The Airport, but you've watched it :)
if you don't mind with the could-be-outdated-screen-quality kdrama, I would recommend 2 melos from much much earlier years:

1. Will it Snow for Christmas (2009): tragic tragic first love, the story went bonker (javabeans' word in the recap, I vaguely remember, haha), but seriously if you want to see tears and tears this could fit the bill HA. and, the younger leads story, played by young Kim Soo Hyun and young Nam Ji Hyun was just lovely and sad at the same time..

2. Cinderella Sisters: sister 'rivalry', angst-galore, but at the end for me it was all about new perspective of what family means to us.</