Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

stroopwafel

Currently recapping: House on Wheels

My Unfamiliar Family: My feelings for this show are too big for words. It was just such a beautiful, sometimes painful, journey and I’m so happy I had this show in my life.

Graceful Friends: If A Couple’s World was a bomb thrown through my screen, Graceful Friends is the drama version of a Rubik’s Cube. At first, I thought I had a solid grasp on the scheming and that we were looking at one big revenge plot. But now, it seems like there’s more than one person looking for payback and I’m not sure where or who all these threads lead back to.

missvictrix

Currently weecapping: Backstreet Rookie, Graceful Friends, and United Effort to Accomplish One Thing

Flower of Evil: Whoa, I don’t think I expected this drama to be quite so fun quite so fast! I loved Episode 1 and our setup of the happy couple — a detective wife who “believes only what she sees” and a sexy metal worker husband who’s got an elaborate cover-up going on. I was super hooked right away, but then Episode 2 quelled my excitement a little. I love the larger plot and intrigue, but I’m already getting episodic crime scene investigation fatigue. It’s not you, show, it’s me. I get bored watching random crimes get investigated: the culprit is always the least likely one, so it’s easy to guess and boring to watch play out. That being said, I’m enjoying this violent and emotionless Jun-ki (and so is he, you can tell!), and I’m still interested to see how our larger plot plays out.

quirkycase

It’s Okay to Not Be Okay: I guessed the “twist” regarding Moon-young’s mom almost from the start, but I was hoping it wouldn’t go such an obvious route. It’s a bit more melodramatic and stereotypical than I wanted here. I think we’re headed into pre-finale angst territory which is usually my least favorite stretch. External conflicts, here we come.

Train: Yeah… I’m dropping this. I had hoped this wouldn’t feel like a straight-up procedural given the sci-fi element, but oh well.

Flower of Evil: I went into this for Lee Jun-ki and Moon Chae-won, but I was leery that it’d be another run-of-the-mill detective/serial killer show. Although it has elements of a crime procedural, having Hee-sung be the main character and focusing on his personal life à la Dexter makes it more compelling for me. So far, I like it, and I’ll probably stick with it unless it settles into a typical cop-chasing-serial-killer show.

United Effort to Accomplish One Thing: This drama makes me appreciate being poor.

Tags: , , , , , ,

CRICKET - 3rd test. England Vs. West Indies. England won. West Indies was such a disappointment. You can't even properly play 35 overs?
You think its an ODI. Foolish and Irresponsible behviour.
This should have been a day where both teams look desperate but West indies players were to eager to go home.

Still a worth watch 3 test matches.

My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong as i Expected

Oregairu - @sancheezy Most likely you won't see this tag.

3 episodes have already broadcasted and Translation problems are still there. This kind of shows demand apt translation because much is subtle and few words changed here and there can change whole situation. Watching an Anime after a while. Enjoying it.

JAPAN - Super 2nd half of 2020 -

My Housekeeper Mr. Nagisa - 7.5 out of 10.
4th episode is translated. watching it now. This can be that "one special romance or love story of the 2020" show.
This is what you call a Heroine. A true female character. A good female character. As usual it comes from Japan.

Hanazawa Naoki Season 2 - 8 out of 10. Yes yes yes. Episode 2 is also translated. That voice, that expression and that dialogue. The one asking for its translation check D-Addicts.

Unsung Cinderella - 7/10 - I lack enthusiasm for this one.

Way to kawaii - 7.5 out of 10. must watch.

Love - Distance - 7.5 out of 10. Another sweet feel good show of husband, wife and their energetic young neighbours in present world.

Guilty - 6/10 This is one heck of a drama for popcorn fun. You enjoy, feel pity, enraged and what not for the characters of this drama.

Peanut Butter Sandwich - 6/10 - I said from start - It promotes Abe's policy aka its propaganda with fun. Afterall Japan needs much more kids.

Furo Girl aka Bath Girl - manga to live action. As expected from Big Comic Spirits. Sakurai Hinako showing the audience her bare back. Sweet Sweet Bath relaxation time. Slice of life manga. Not ecchi or mature. And ofcourse director is teasing the audience with back and side views. Another NICHE show and as usual from Japan.

There shouldn't be any partiality. If we can have elaborate males fronts we can have that of females too. heh

Kyou Kara Ore Wa SPecial - 7 out of 10. Misery of an idiot is the humour of the show for the audience. Even actors were hiding their laughter. Waiting for the movie.

Korea + CN

Convenience Store is far better than Milf. Milf audience is as much unbalanced as much its characters are. Convenience Store is such a bait to lure all the middle class who resent rich and overplay their misery and live in their own foolish fantasies. Recently this kind of bait shows are getting lot of attention. Demand and supply. Good business approach by broadcasters.

Someone had watched that Japanese drama of main character being a Sugar Daddy and another drama from 2019 is now getting translation. Young heroine falling in love with old professor and to make it interesting Nobita made a video on the same topic -

@scrfeentime I don't watch violent shows, especially shows where main element is just to solve a problem. I'm more shows which have impact on whole of society.
That's why i could get through Stranger. And that's why i even watched banana Republic Corea.

Memorials ep 9 & 10 : I couldn"t squee enough.

Was It Love (Episode 7-8)
There was some hope in previous weeks but this week’s episodes have veered the story to the point of no return where Dae Oh is the dad and endgame (CLICHE). I would be more on board with this ship if Dae Oh didn’t guilt trip Ae Jung in the past into dating him by risking his life, harass Ha Nee on the streets which caused an accident and manipulate the situation such that he gets alone time with Ae Jung, then again, the other men have their own styles of obsession to be annoyed at as well. I find myself wanting her to say NO to everyone, but we all know this show ain’t going to be unique.

United Effort to Accomplish One Thing (Episode 1-4)
My initial plan was actually to binge watch the show once it had ended but then I saw the Open Thread and liked what I read! Anyway, despite the lower hype it received as opposed to JTBC’s 19+ show, it certainly had a better premiere in storytelling and direction. I find it an interesting decision by the production to reveal the 5 that had drugged In Ho with the sleeping pills at the halfway mark, as if to say that the murderer isn’t important and there is juice to be had behind that fateful night. Also, is it really one big coincidence that the mugshot gang of 5 are also the ones being interviewed?

Memorials (Episode 9-10)
As the second half of the show begins, we finally start to unravel the mystery behind Representative Yang’s death that started off the show and caused a chain reaction leading to the present day. Mr Bong's warning towards Se Ra means that he was aware of Yang’s corruption but was it also a foreshadowing that he’s not the powerless idealist he appears to be? There’s also two more past events to tackle: 1) Accident that took the life of Gong Myung’s brother, 2) Min Jae’s sudden decision to become Jo’s underling. I do think that 1) isn’t an accident, 2) isn’t sudden and the fallout is coming.

Graceful Friends (Episode 5-6)
I was really hopeful that we’ll get some movement on the story but it seems a little stale all around. There are still quite some awkward moments like Chun Bok and Eun Sil’s bed fight (which felt like a ham-fisted attempt at injecting humour of the crude and 19+ kind) and Yoo Bin’s random girl conversation over a hamburger (was that PPL? it didn’t appear to be so from how I saw it); the point being that unless Chun Bok’s prostrate problems or Ha Nee (oops wrong show!) are to play significant narrative purposes later on these scenes are simply useless fillers. It’s a whodunit so that just sucks!

Also watching: Flower of Evil (Episode 1-2) / It's Okay to Not Be Okay (Episode 11-12) / Men Are Men (Episode 7-8) / Backstreet Rookie (Episode 11-12)

Agree about Memorials!!!

Me too!!
And I've never trusted Mr. Bong (maybe only because the actor's performance in another drama, don't want to spoil).

I have more doubts about the ex-boyfriend than Mr Bong.

MinJae is obviously up to nothing good from minute one, while with Mr. Bong there was some kind of possibility that genuinely wanted to help and tutor SeRa, something I doubt right now.

Agreed 100% About Was It Love.

Actually all the male leads are annoying (except for PaDo). Ryu Jin keeps saying “I liked her first,” as though love is a first come first serve system. And Yeon-Woo keeps telling her Dae-Oh is not the right guy for her and Ha-Nee. Um, excuse me, can you just let her make her own decisions please?

Speaking of Ha-Nee, at this point I think it is cruel for Ae-Jung to still withhold from her who the father is. Her own feelings aside, both daughter and father deserve to know. Unless he was abusive (which doesn’t seem that way), Ae-Jung basically stole 14 years of bonding away from both father and daughter. Just because he isn’t a good partner to her, doesn’t mean he wouldn’t have been a good father. I am so outraged for the father and daughter.

I'm not even watching it and I am angry on behalf of Ha Nee and Dae Oh. Ae Jung has actually deprived them of a wonderful relationship.

The most infuriating part is Ae-Jung is still self-righteously basking in the 14-year sacrifice she made in raising her daughter all by herself. I just know that they’re going to make Dae-Oh grovel and beg his way back into Ae-Jung and Ha-Nee’s life. Honestly I think he’s better off with the 2nd FL at this point.

I'm with you on Memorials. Gong Myung's brother's death seems to be connected to the present problems. Also Min Jae leaving his job and siding with Chairman Cho seems to be something but j don't know how it connects to everything

United Effort to Accomplish One Thing - that title and your description of it reminds me of Murder on the Orient Express

On Memorials, I agree, angst is definitely coming, and GM's bro/dad issue has to be tackled! I also like your observation on Mr Bong. He's not had as much of a role as it seemed he would in the early eps. So this is when he steps up, eh. (Can I also be a little shallow and say how much I love his radio voice - it's so arresting!).

I'm a little disappointed that Eun-shil has disappeared completely from the show - I was hoping she'd be the ideal female mentor that Se-ra needed, and who'd be around. ah well.

On Was It Love, Dae Oh did not cause that accident as the light had changed and it was okay for the Hae Nee to cross the street. The person on the motorcycle was at fault. Yes, Hae Nee crossed the street because Dae Oh was running after her, but that was not the cause of the accident. She also dropped her flyers which was time consuming to pick up. Can't really blame Dae-Oh for that.

If Dae Oh never met Ha Nee, she would have been just walking around the neighbourhood putting posters for her part-time job and nothing would have happened to her since she would have never been near the street in the first place, speeding motorcycle or not. She was clearly freaked out by the way Dae Oh was interacting with her and quickened her pacing: her dropping the flyers was probably because she was distracted trying to maintain a safe distance between herself and him. Even without a speeding motorcycle, her being distracted could have caused trouble in other ways such as her tripping over something if she couldn't see well at night.

Honestly, the more I see that sequence the more I get scared by how Dae Oh just kept bothering Ha Nee: for all the objectifications Yeon Woo did or the posturing Ryu Jin did, both of them never used Ha Nee to get to Ae Jung. Ryu Jin might be contacting Ha Nee without talking to Ae Jung about it but I can give him some leeway since Ha Nee was the one who contacted him first and also actively stopped him from telling Ae Jung the truth (though he better be telling Ae Jung soon at the island).

In Kdrama, blame is often extended beyond where it should be extended. So I can see how you might feel that way. To me though, the motorcyclist is to blame for the accident. Period. If he had not been speeding through the red light, the accident would not have happened. Extending blame beyond that is wrong. Let's see, we could go back and blame the woman/auntie for charging Ha-nee for watching the dog. Ha-nee would never have gotten the part time job if she hadn't suddenly gone into debt. See what I'm saying? We could also blame Dae-Oh for the Ae-Jung getting drinks spilled on her blouse at the party because, after all, the actress was bitter toward Ae-Jung because Dae-Oh was in love with her. The actress never would have pushed Ae-Jung away, had it not been for Dae-Oh. Of course, that sort of reasoning is ridiculous, but I'm just using it to try to make my point that blame should not spread out beyond the direct cause and the direct cause of that accident was the motorcyclist going through the red light. The direct reason that Ha-nee was not injured was because Dae-Oh intercepted to save her. He is more responsible for her not being hurt than he is for her being in the accident. IMO

Using this logic though, Dae Oh is at fault for Ha Nee herself even existing (and thus having the possibility of getting into an accident) since she would have never been born if he had not persisted in chasing after Ae Jung (who had a mini-crush on Ryu Jin back then before his confession swayed her to him). See what I'm saying?

I think what you and I see as 'causes' are distinctively different so I'll just disagree to agree here.

Yes, let's just disagree because that is similar to what I am saying. A person can stretch out blame however they want, but it just makes no sense to do that. I can't blame DaeOh for the accident. But if you want to do that, you certainly can. And we will still be beanie friends. :-)

Ahem, the real cause of this almost-accident was Motorcycle if Doom. It’s practically law in Kdramas that characters will get run over if they step onto a street, and this allows another character to save them if required by the story. 😁

Basically, I think it was setup to contrast how Dae-oh risked his life to save Ha-nee while Yeon-Woo just watched.

ha ha ha @wishfultoki how could I have forgotten the motorcycle of doom? Yes, yes, you nailed it. :-)

Reply 1994 (11/21): Samcheonpo and Yoon-Jin are dating!❤️Their romance is the only one I like at the moment. I hope Binggrae finds someone to love as well, since it clearly will not work out with Trash Oppa. My friend got the idea of Binggrae and Joon-Hee (Hoya, Reply 1997) in my head, why are all my gay ships doomed?🚢 I should be rooting for either Trash Oppa or Chilbongie to be Na-Jung’s husband, but I find myself not interested in the shipping war. I actually even get annoyed at both of them whenever they act as suitors, which is a shame, because they both are good hyungs, sons, friends,… to everybody else. It is probably why Haitai is my favorite. The guy is not boyfriend material (yet?), but he is Bro goals and living proof that men and women can be very close friends in a strictly platonic way.

Memorials/Into The Ring (10/16): I caught up with you all at the right time! Our battle couple are relationship and boss-employee goals! There were too many moments to squee about this week, but what deserves more attention in my opinion are the gender trope reversals. Aside from the obvious male secretary being happy to work for a female chairman, I was expecting baby steps in a tentative honeymoon phase, but our Gong is already wearing his girlfriend’s clothes and sleeping in her room!🤭Kim Min-Jae on the other hand, can get his hypocritical nonsense off my screen, thank you very much. If you want people to stop looking down on Sera, start by looking in a mirror. Or watch how our Gong treats Sera and learn.❤️

Mori who stole the Beanie’s hearts (4/30): Mori is not happy with me, because I still have not found the time to officially meet him. Soon, I hope!😔

Men are Men: I realized why I watch the show. I watch the show because of the parents and because of the leads chemistry. The parents are hilarious and wildly inappropriate. The leads are cute when they are together, despite the way they started.

The Good Detective: I didn't think they would kill him. I am shocked. The case did not turn out at all like I expected. This is good, I am still enjoying the chemistry of all 3 leads.

Memorials: UGHSDBASKEF, they are so cute. When she woke up on the floor and he saw her and started smiling. I completely melted. She actually looked a mess, but he didn't even care. I love this drama.

Flower of Evil: The drama is interesting. They are throwing a great many red herring into the mix and it is annoying. He clearly has some kind of disorder that doesn't allow him to recognize emotions. The 2nd episode did a beautiful job showcasing that. Lee Joon Ki and Moon Chae Won are doing an excellent job, but the red herring though, I'm already exhausted and we are not even to episode 3.

It's okay not to be Okay: I somehow completely missed the episode 12 recap, lol. Everyone had already said what I wanted, so I am excited to see what is next.

Hi, twinsie!!! Exact thoughts as mine... what a surprise!

@ the Good Detective: RIGHT?! It was so sad, but it raised the drama to another level for me. I don't see them actually take the plunge like that in dramas very often, and it was well done here (side-eyeballing Memories of Alhambra, which tore my heart out and then slapped an unsatisfying non-romance bandaid over it to keep me quiet).

Yup, exactly this.

I was surprised that Dae Chul was executed too, but I believe they did it for effect. Since viewers knew he was innocent, it made us think about how capital punishment can go wrong, and that it should be eliminated completely everywhere in the world.

It's Okay To Not Be Okay: I can't believe there's only 4 episodes left... T_T
I'm comforted by the thought that Stranger 2 will air when this ends though.
Curious to see which theories about MY's mom and the killer's identity are true.

Was It Love: why... am I still watching this? Can we get a spinoff of Koo Pa-do's gangster life instead? That man is so damn fine.

Torn between watching Flower of Evil, You Who Forgot Poetry, or rewatching Go Back Couple (because Dae-oh makes me miss Ban-do so bad).

I think all beanies watching IONTBO find comfort in thinking that after it ends we will have S2 of Stranger.

Is Go Back couple good? I've seen it around but haven't ever watched it.

PS I recommend Flower of Evil, normally I'd say give it another week and see if it stays good, but LJG's acting in the role just sold me, and the plot/directing so far is good. I like the parallele "detective" case and his daily life, the director does a good job playing the two off of each other to get more depth.

I liked Go Back Couple. It made me cry buckets. Actually contemplating a re-watch since it's been awhile since I've seen it.

GBC - good drama, recommended.

After being in a massive drama slump and watching a lot of cdramas... I stumbled upon The Smile Has Left Your Eyes and WHOLY MOLY...I didn't realize how much I had missed Seo In Guk on my screen, and Jung So Min! This show ripped my heart out, threw it on the floor and watched it silently beating on the ground with a smirk.
I can't get over how amazing everything was about this show. From Seo In Guks compelling and riveting acting (in my opinion, his finest work) to the dark ambiance, the filmography and background score. SO SO GOOD. I'm in withdrawal and felt my love for kdramas again.

Yeah, this drama was great and the casting too! :)

This drama is so good and reiterated why I stan Seo In Guk!!!!

OH my gosh I've been meaning to watch this drama for ages. I stumbled on it a year or so ago, but made the mistake of looking up a review and had it spoiled TT TT Not the Korean one, the Japanese one. So I didn't want to watch it then. And then I thought maybe I should give it a shot anyway, but I wanted to protect my poor heart so I looked up the Korean ending. (I'm terrible, I know, all my friends ask how I can do that and spoil it for myself). So now I feel prepared to watch... I just need to have a lighthearted show to watch at the same time and balance my life out haha.

Flower of Evil: I like this quite a bit. I want the story to focus more on unraveling this man's life than chasing some big bad. Also, LJG ends up with cute daughters in some of his dramas. That little girl is adorable.

It's Okay...: Still enjoying but a bit worried we're going to go into noble idiocy or some such thing.

Hotel de Luna: On hold at episode 4. I don't know why I am having trouble getting into this more. It is right up my alley and everything looks great. I'll just wait until I'm more in the mood.

WWW: I am trying to go back and watch some shows I didn't have time for (hence Hotel de Luna) and this one was near the top of my list. Enjoying it so far.

Both WWW and HOTEL DEL LUNA are good shows. But sometimes you do have to wait for the right mood.

Ahhh Flower of Evil is so good! 😭 I’ve been wanting to talk about it and my theories but haven’t found where- I have so many lol

If they don't re-cap it here, can try MyDramaList.

I have a few theories myself ;)

Right?? I'm so curious about what actually happened in his past. I think I'm getting a picture, but I'm sure the drama will through something in there I wasn't expecting to fill it out.

The Good Detective I'm kinda tiring by this kind of story : cops are corrupted, the past's hero is connected with the present investigation, the bad guys always are three moves ahead... I watch it for Jang Seung-jo, because he's a lead for once!

Memorials I relly like this drama. This week episodes were really good between the super cute love story (I'm happy that the parents and friends already know and are ok with it), the fact the FL doesn't go against the big project but just a small part of it, there is more secrets that we though at the beginning. It's fun and never boring!

Backstreet Rookie KJY is too good for crying scenes, I cried a lot too because of her and JCW's eyes can shoot little hearts! The way their relationship is written is perfect, I love their trust in each other.

It's Okay to Not Be Okay I should focus on the story and the directing but I'm just too happy to have KSH's face on my screen to do it :p

BACKSTREET ROOKIE is actually full of insight. Trust is the bedrock of love. The reason why Yeon-joo will never get Dae-hyun back is that her trust in her has been utterly shattered. Meanwhile Dae-hyun and Saet-byul have come to trust each other- and are trustworthy- so their relationship can move forward from here.

Totally agree with you! It started out rather rocky, but the story has been developing quite well. Even reggae boy and Aphrodite don't get on my nerves quite as much.
But the whole issue of trust is huge and well done. I am loving Dae-hyun's mom sooooo much in how much she completley adores Saet-byul and trusts her as well.

Dae-hyun's mom has been one of the highlight's of this drama. She has such a big heart- and yes she adores Saet-byul and trusts her is indeed huge.

As for Reggae boy and Aphrodite- I find them both utterly ridiculous. But I think that this may be the whole point to their characters- to offer a contrast to the much more solid and deeper characters of Saet-byul and Dae-hyun. In particular it offers a response to the argument that Saet-byul is too young to be thinking of a future with Dae-hyun: Age sometimes really is just a number- Saet-byul is in many ways more mature than most women ten years older than her- including Yeon-joo (who actually is ten years older). Given that I understand their purpose I tolerate Aphrodite and Reggae boy- but that is pretty much it.

Saet-byul is an old soul to be sure.
Dae-hyun is the less mature of the two. And the trust between them is what makes it work for me.

KYJ is a really good actress. I don't know how she switched up from cute to heartbreaking. The way she tries not to cry and end up crying is heartbreaking even without context. I was in awe because her character isn't particularly unique in the emotion displayed. I've seen this emotion countless of time in drama yet the way she brings herself feels like a reality. If people were about to ask me what the scene is about, it's about how she pretended to be strong but give in to her heart and cry, it's not something out of ordinary but hell she delivered it really well.

Regarding Aprodhite and the Webtoon, for me, it's like how people are connected without prejudice when they didn't see each other or see how they do their daily life. Their bonds come from mutual interest, from finding something they both felt worth fighting for even if they hated each other when they meet. It's like saying to the viewer that appearances are not always how it looks like.

This is also how relationship between SB X DH build. In the surface, this is about how a young woman falls in love with an older man that helped her when she was younger but this isn't all of that. Making their relationship all about the age gap forgetting what their actual relationship is about or how they properly interacting when she is older. They have history, they have friendship, trust and bond that formed without the romantic interest before the romance happen. SB likes him started because of her old crush but remains because how her adult self felt comfortable around him, how she knew he means well for her and how she admires him. He liked her has nothing to do with her age since he wasn't even thought of liking her until he properly sees her and interacting with her adult self.

I know I am emphasising on age here, it because how this drama shows us that relationship isn't something that happen because you are perfect for each other already, they just normal people with up and down that wants to extend and accepting each other. It makes me realised that other good girl can have relationship with Dae Hyun and another good guy can have a relationship with Saet Byul because they are nice people and they can change.

In his confession to Saet-byul at the end of episode 14 Dae-hyun actually echoes some of what you said about how relationships form. Of course, the idea of "the one" is a silly notion and yes both DH and SB could have ultimately been happy with someone else who was nice, decent and so forth. But maybe not quite as happy in this case because of one unique difference: Dae-hyun has for many years modelled himself on Saet-byul's father. Please note that this is not a father-figure idea but rather that he and Saet-byul share a lot of values as taught by the same teacher. Still, part of what we have seen if that Saet-byul has actually abandoned all of her fantasies about Dae-hyun as she has come to know him as a real person- and in some ways the reality is better than the fantasy. She is not infatuated with him- she actually loves him now. Which is why her confession to an unconscious Dae-hyun at the end of episode 10 is so significant: It was more than a love confession, it was a marriage proposal.

Which brings us to the question of age versus maturity. Saet-byul has had a very hard time for several years and was the head of her little family, supporting her sister as best she could while trying to guide her forward in life. She is far more mature than Yeon-joo- who is ten years older. We still see Yeon-joo trying to manipulate the situation, withhold information, lie, etc. She thinks that she can 'repair' her relationship with Dae-hyun through these means- but in fact it simply shows how un-ready she is for anything beyond casual dating.

Yeon-joo may be ten years older but she is not ready for marriage. Saet-byul is ten years younger- but she actually is ready to marry someone and she knows it, which is why her declaration was actually grounded in reality.

I liked how they accepted each other. SB didn't need him to work in a office but just to make what he wants. DH wants SB to have the same opportunities than everyone and helped her with her exam and talked to her about college, thing she never dreamed of.

As filler I picked up a lesser TV offering, a family drama called 'Once Again'. After watching it a little I had to check to make sure I hadn't accidentally picked up an old 2011 drama. Real throw-back TV! I can't say its good but it has the advantage of not being actively BAD, like so many series this year.

Which brings us to 'Men are Men' (or that over-long Viki title). I'm only 5 1/2 episodes in but I can't see how this series can be redeemed.

Men are men continues to be a very awkward watching. I’m intrigued by the past story, but I don’t think it’s going anywhere. It feels like it’s pieces of different dramas put together by the writer. Another eight episodes? I wonder what they have to tell. And basically I’m a bit annoyed by everyone deciding who must FL marry.

The Good Detective.Wow, this show is getting better every week. So far nothing is wasted. The acting, the story, the balance between the drama, the suspense and the slight touches of comedy. Beanies, if you’re looking for a police drama, give it a try. I can’t guarantee the second half would be as good, but so far I recommend it.

Memorials. This is such a perfect watching. I can’t recommend it enough. GM and SR are going to my top cute couples un drama land. Also, I like how realistic the show is about a newbie trying to do politics, because I’m afraid good intentions are not enough.

Flower of evil. I’ve only watched first episode, and I’m delighted to see a creepy psycho LJG. Also, I missed his voice.

Also watching It’s Okay not to be Okay, and my rewatch of Secret Forest, which is even better than the previous time. I hadn’t realized how much I missed ShiMok and YeoJin.

Have kept The Good Detective in the to-watch list. Will wait for the final review on this!

Forest of Secrets - uff. Totally agree.

The Good Detective gets my vote for a good drama! That's not what I wanted to comment on though--I just wanted to say I also agree, Forest of Secrets was AMAZING. I'm so ready for round 2.

"...but I don't think it is going anywhere", and this is why I haven't jumped back into the drama. I am on episode 5, and I cannot understand why we are wasting time on love triangles and wacky parents and not trying to figure out what went wrong in the past lives. I mean isn't that the point? Can this love story have a different ending?

I missed LJG's voice as well. He took a longer break this time around.

'Be still my heart', is what I keep telling myself with each new episode of Into the Ring, because I can't believe how the show has managed to keep up its pace and energy and happy quotient for so long into its run. It's so good, it feels unreal. For whoever thought The Rom-Com was dead, this is a must-watch, to reassure you that it's not quite the case.

My explorations into tw-dramas continue, for which I have two beanies to thank:

@leetennant I finally got to HIStory 2, and you were right, it was lovely, and definitely the best of the BL shows out there (that I've seen so far). It's also a great gateway show into the genre.

@wapzy I managed to watch Yong-Jiu Grocery Store. It was delightful, and appropriately nostalgia-infused with the right degree of sentimentality and slowburn. It's the same 'alternate' kind of tw-drama we have been discussing in previous editions of WWW and various fanwall posts. I am still plugging I, Myself as a superior show because of the different kinds of questions it asked, but it may just be because I watched that first.

Anyway, thank you again to both of you for the recommendations! :)

Finally, @mindy has put up a bunch of fanwall posts today that are to blame for my descent into the Forest of Secrets / Stranger wormhole all over again. Gosh, that first episode, what a start! - anybody would be drawn in by that! After my original watch, I remember thinking what a solid, world-class drama this is, and that verdict still holds good. It's a bummer that PD Ahn Gil-ho decided to spend this summer directing a rom-com instead :/ I'm fervently hoping that the director change doesn't affect the second season; keeping the faith in the writer and the cast (*ready, aim, fire* if things go wrong!).

Yay you finished YJGS. Yes it does lie in the slow burn category and I'm waiting for I, myself to reach my region's Netflix to watch it there. Which I hope happens soon before I get into other shows.
I was just thinking that the korean rom com is dead and I can't find a good romcom to watch, your thoughts about Into the ring have me intrigued but I'm bothered that it is still infused with politics. Though idk how much of a part that plays in the story. Romcoms should just be that, romance and comedy, please give me that dramaland.

Do give Into the Ring a try. The politics is melded quite nicely with the romance and the comedy (and there is a lot of the latter), mostly as a plot contrivance. So it is essentially a rom-com at heart, IMO.

I agree that INTO THE RING is a good rom-com and worth watching.

I, too, have been unable to find a good romcom to get into but nothing sits well with me. I gave "30 but 17" a try and though it's good I didn't love it as much as I loved weightlifting fairy and I don't think I would really recommend this to anyone.. I know many beanies love it but sadly I couldn't. Badly wanting to watch something as full of heart as weightlifting fairy kim bok ju, I tried giving "I'm not a robot" a chance but again I couldn't watch past ep 4. This made me realise that my standard for a good rom com are pretty different from most, sigh. I did start Memorials but it was on hold since after ep 4 because real life striked. Today I finally found time so I watched 2 more episodes and I do like it but I'm still on the fence..? I do enjoy our OTP and root for them but I can't seem to love love it and I just basically want a romcom.that I will absolute love (like I did weightlifting), sigh.

I dearly love WFKBJ too! - it's definitely in my all time top 10 (so far). And I am not part of the fan brigades for either IANAR or 30/17. But I'm loving Memorials, and as I've mentioned in a few fanwall posts, I'm getting the same vibe from this show as with WFKBJ. I hope you stay with the show, and eventually jump off the fence into the pro-Memorials side ;)

I definitely don't plan to drop the show (yet--heh) and I sincerely hope so too.

Have you tried Fight My Way?

You might not find something that gives you the same feels as Weightlifting.

That's true. WFKBJ is unmatched on so many levels.

You are right, sigh. I think it's time I accept that.

PS: I might give fight my way a try after memorials. Let's see.

@bluewaters20 I think Fight isn't as streamlined as Weightlifting is, but it also has very likable leads (not your usual hero, but a favorite of mine) who are discovering what makes them happy, friends to lovers, and a similar bright aesthetic.
Different but if somehow you haven't seen it I'd also rec Coffee Prince with these two.

@bcampbell1662 I have heard good things of both dramas so I might just give them a try. Thank you for the recommendations :)

WLFKBJ was a rare gem when it aired too. It's hard to find a perfect mix of rom com, slice of life, coming of age. It did all three justice. Ditto on not liking INAR and 30 but 17 as much. That is why for rom coms I have turned to cdramas now. Of not much atleast they retain the giddiness not found much in kdramas lately. I'll give ITR a try too.

Yass! Join the ITR club! There's no coming of age here, and I wouldn't even call it slice of life. But it's definitely up there on the giddy quotient! Hope you enjoy it as much as so many of us are :)

I find Weighlifting has the same vibe with youth Cdrama as an example: Put Your Head in My Shoulder, Love Equation, Attention Love and the unrequited love series.

I think Korean Drama lately just doesn't invest much in youth drama, like for age 17-22 as their main stories so there is not a lot drama to watch, there is a lot of webdrama though.

Interesting comparison with youth cdramas. I can't say I like the genre too much, though I was *very impressed* with My Huckleberry Friends (@bluewaters20 you may want to give this one a try; I watched it on Viki).

The few Korean web dramas I have watched I found to be generally terrible, and seem to serve little purpose other than giving young idol/actors some practice to hone their acting skills (they're good launchpads for younger actors, I agree). But content-wise and production-wise, I feel they have a long way to go.

But I feel there's a host of new 16-ep kdramas coming that are designed for the youth age group - maybe it's a seasonal thing / summer special. :D

@pickleddragon My Huckleberry Friend is one of the unrequited love series based on Zhen Hua High School along with Unrequited Love (2019) and With You (2016). Three of this drama based on the same novel and I can't say that they are the same but the down to earth, the normal neighbourhood and youth feeling is still there. I personally think MHF is the best among the three but I have a soft spot for unrequited love, it felt real and make me realised that we were definitely not that good at communicating when we are young.

School 2020 has been postponed and honestly, Idk if there any youth drama beside Record of Youth or Backstreet Rookie. The last I remember is My 1st First Love. Love Alarm, Extracurricular and How To Buy a Friend isn't really a youth drama that centred around being young.

Ah I missed the Unrequited Love reference. Yes, it's definitely way better than the other two dramas in the series, which I don't think I managed to finish!

I thought the youth dramas that were being released were: Record of youth; Love Alarm 2; DDSSLLS; Do you like Brahms; Lonely enough to Love.... None of these seem really very promising (although I'd probably give Brahms a watch for the leads), but they're all scheduled for release in the next few weeks. So they should fill the youth drama void for a bit, I think. :)

@palopi

@pickleddragon I haven't actually ventured into other territories like c or j or t dramas, yet. I have intentionally limited myself to kdramas as of yet because you know the more the variety, the more I watch and the more my studies and other real life responsibilities suffer so yah I use this incredibly flawed logic to stick to kdramas only but recently with @wapzy higly recommending YJG and other beenies recommending some, I have been highly tempted.

@bluewaters20 Ha, good policy! Get to them when you have the time and inclination :) they'll always be around, it's not like the shows are going anywhere. Hehe.

I think we all try not to have too high expectations about Stranger 2, although it's quite complicated... I trust writer-nim and PD was the one behind Just Dance which was so good, nothing soft.
I'm also rewatching and I'm loving it more and more.
I can't remember if you've watched Watcher... it's directed by Ahn GilHo too.

I have seen Watcher! It's a pretty solid, dark show too, though not quite in the league of Stranger. I thought Ahn Gil-ho was specializing in these thriller-type dramas, that's why I was surprised (and disappointed) to see that he was directing a rom-com now :/ Maybe he got bored... Hehe

I dropped Watcher, I just couldn't get into it. It's possible that FoS has just ruined me for other crime dramas, it's possible I really just don't like SKJ. Either way, FoS is arresting from scene one, Watcher bored me.

I'm trying to manage my expectations for FoS2 but it's hard to when it's got such a great cast, great writer and Just Dance was wonderful. Such an underrated little gem. The look and feel of it was very very different from a crime drama though...

I've heard many good things about Just Dance! I should get to it at some point. But the fact that it is not a crime drama is essentially what has me wondering...

It's not a crime drama, that's true, but it doesn't make it exactly an easy watch.

Watcher was as bit complicated sometimes, but I really enjoyed. It also helped that I do like SKJ, haha.

I am happy that you watched YONG-JIU GROCERY STORE. It is drama done right.

So glad you enjoyed History2, I'm a bit sad that nothing else has come close to its quality. At this point, with Covid and the leads' success I don't expect the sequel film to happen. I think if it was going to get made it would have happened by now. It's disappointing, although if HIStory3 was any indication it may not have lived up to our expectations.

MEN ARE MEN: I strongly dislike the story line of chaebol men harassing, manipulating and controlling women to make them fall for them. But now to brain wash the woman you are after to turn her nightmares about you into positive memories?! Then there is the creepy evil mom seeking revenge or transference of herself onto the male lead by marrying her daughter to him. I wondered if she is really her daughter since in her plan she is basically throwing her under the bus.
WAS IT LOVE? Speaking of transference, Pa-Do's doppleganger Chinese wife is shown as the member of a rival gang who was killed because PD killed their boss (a family member?) Why AJ is in danger because of a gang war is a stretch. And speaking of stretching out the thinnest story line, Hanee's father mystery is now tedious. Just tell us who and why and move on.
ONCE AGAIN: A pair of secret dating couples is not a griping story line. The fake sister's demeaning comments to each family member was true to her character, but now with loan shark blackmail on the horizon she will flee soon leaving her brother wondering why he bailed her out with his life's savings.
Variety:
HOUSE ON WHEELS: I wonder if the show is pivoting toward action/adventure with paragliding guests instead of the charm of camping and conversation.
HOW DO YOU PLAY?: South Korea still knows how to make music videos. I do not get the fan criticism that SSAK3 is a "fake" group that took away chart position and awards from other idol groups.
FUN RESTAURANT: Has moved into more trot songs than actual food preparation. Not happy.

In Men Are Men EVERYBODY is awful. The heroine's adopted brother who is lusting after her. The total stranger who got her fired from her longtime job. The heroine who knows she's being pursued by a stalker but decides to leverage that into a big play day. At this point I almost hope it ends like 'The Smile Has Left Your Eyes' did.

I much more dislike the brother than the CEO.
I mean, every single time the little brother has confessed (at least three times) you could feel the physical negative reaction of FL, but he keeps imposing his feelings. Also, he's changed his appearance to look like CEO.
Whenever he's on screen I think of GeonWoo telling JaeHyeok in Dinner Mate that unrequited love is not love, it's violence.

1000000000% agree!

This is the 3rd "I'm like a brother but I have the hots for you" scenario that I've seen in k-drama and I have never liked it. Kill Me, Heal Me (with the same actress), Her Private Life and now Men are Men. It's icky.

I didn't watch Dinner Mate, but that's an interesting line.

Don't forget Oh My Baby too, just this year.

How Do You Play: I didn't expect fans to be so salty about SSAK3, but in retrospect, I should have. Oh well. SSAK3 is a fun summer diversion with proceeds going to charity.

Into The Ring: Ep 9 and 10 are just 💕💕💕 The hours just passed me by and I’m craving for more. Se-Ra, don’t you ever change!

Flowers of Evil: Ohh...creepy...I like... so many theories and questions in my mind while watching the premiere week. Stay tuned, I shall.

Nothing else but Gameboys

LOVE in the time of pandemic. Or as Gav would put it "Every landi is a blessing." So landi na.

It's amazing how the actors managed to pull it off when they were not even together in the same room. Bravo!

Tis the season of crime, investigation, procedural thrillers and I'm out. I just can't get myself into the episodic shows when it comes to this genre and it seems like the next batch is full of it. That said, I'm glad some fluffy cdramas exist. My very stressful week was balanced by Dance of the Sky Empire . Nothing extraordinary but good enough to keep you distracted and give some much needed giddiness and feels. Need more such cdrama recommendations, guys. What cdramas have you all been watching?

I'm watching Song of Glory! Alas not with Xu Kai but it’s pretty good so far. Not much in the way of giddiness and feels though. The romance is more slow burn and subtle.🤔

I'll keep that in my list but I'm all for fluff now. Thanks for the recommendation. Xu kai is always welcome but anybody else is fine too 😜

Sold on It's OK Not to Be OK - it's hard to believe that it will come to an end - a little work of art. I've discovered a coffee shop nearby with all Korean staff and the girl who served me is watching it too.
Enduring Was it Love? for the guys, although I've decided they are all man babies (throwing up on the boat!!!) except for Pa-do, of course.
Train - intrigued. I need to see where it goes (pun intended)
Flower of Evil - I need to know his story.
Queen for 7 Days - I'm in the final stretch and I've checked out the history, and yes, it's a sad, sad story
Mask - re-hooked on Jun Ji-hoon. I thought he was great in Hyena, although he was overacting towards the end, but in this, he's fresher and plays a frank and disarming role. A serious binge
Backstreet Rookie - for the leads
Can't bring myself to finish Dinner Mate and a few others.
Every now and again, I think I may have bottomed out with k-dramas and shortly after, I find that I'm startling to get twitchy for another fix. This could go on for some time....

and you won't be alone needing those fixes---

good to know it's not just me. Happy to be sharing the pathology/therapy

Mask was the rare solid drama of that year (was it 2015ish) and I thought quite fun. I don't hear it mentioned much these days.

2015. I stumbled over it on Viki. Episodes of what I had been watching were not coming fast enough, so I needed something to fill the gap and it took over. I'm getting tired of the wicked ones, but the developing OTP is sweet.
And need I say, JJH is wonderful eye candy.

I like both Soo Ae and JJH. I hear mixed things, but more on the positive side for Mask. How did she not get nominated at the SBS Awards when they nominated the other cast members?!

Also is it a must that one every one of his dramas that JJH must either be shirtless and/or have a shower scene? Lmao, I mean not complaining but just a funny thought.

Not having him shirtless would be too much of a wonderful opportunity missed.

@jorobertson LOL.

I'm not hating but I do wonder for actors who do these scenes feel when fans talk more about that than their acting. I just remembered those exercising scenes in Hyena and laugh. I guess he stopped after Ep 6.

Regarding Mask: I'm actually watching Hyena, and almost done with it (2 episodes left!). Some of the technical language/terms goes in/over my head sometimes. What makes the show work are obviously the 2 leads. He's come a long way from Goong.

Over-acting towards the end? He should do more physical comedy/rom-com. Thankfully, a lot of his titles are on Viki. Thinking if I should watch Item for him lol. I did hear that The Devil with Shin min-ah as well was very good.

I adored Hyena. The leads were brilliant (she was ground breaking as a woman in that role), although as I said I felt the beautiful and utterly compelling JJH was going through the motions at the end. I can't imagine him doing physical comedy. I love his intensity. I've just seen him with GAIN in *that video* and I can't get it out of my head. Previously my interest in him was because he was a friend of Ha Jung-woo. I may incur the wrath of many but Kingdom left me cold. Now I'm more intrigued by him and like you will watch more of his work. Shin Min-ah is one of my few favorite actresses.

I can finally discuss more! I finished Hyena and loved it. JJH has never looked any better! KHS elevated his game. He looked amazing, and the suits/glasses at the end with her together OMG!!

Yes, Geum-ja ruled so hard. For once, we have an adult/mature relationship! I saw the last episode a hour ago, and he was strong throughout the show. I took it as after what his father did, he kinda lost a bit of his balance before he went hands-on the case.

He's grown so much as an actor since Goong. I loved his micro-expressions and his physical acting with his body language and fingers lol. OMG, you and me gurl! I find him to be a bit underrated by Kdrama watchers compared to other actors, but he's one of the best/attractive actors working rn! Ah that video woah. Very passionate, but the meaning behind it was quite strong/sad. Sad their relationship ended a bit messy, but life goes on...

I think he's trying to tackle on diff. roles/genres, and steering away from mainstream ones. He would kill it in a well written rom-com! He does film/tv. He and Shin Min-ah had great chemistry in The Naked Kitchen. Viki has a great selection of his work, I would start from there. But yeah I heard The Devil was very good, and Item was more miss than hit. That was long lol, but always down to talk about JJH!!

I'll rewatch the final couple of episodes of Hyena with new eyes and dedicate myself to some research on Viki, and yes, the video in real life context is sad. Might be something wrong with me (ha), but I don't mind a bad boy, especially one who can wear a suit. Have you seen the video with JJH and Ha Jung-woo riffing in Hawaii last year? https://youtu.be/PAomNItaHFw They are both really relaxed and funny.

I thought that KHS as Jung Geum-ja should have received an Baeksang award, but Kim Hee-ae in the World of the Married got it (and I loved her in Secret Affair). So I'm still hope KHS's time will come. Loved her in Signal too.

@jorobertson Oh yeah, its a show that has re-peat value! It's fresh for me, but he matched with KHS and that's not an easy thing to do. He did a great job in the court scene when his dad doesn't do what he thought he was gonna do. And the scene where he tells his dad off was great!

Yes lol! I really liked the glasses he wore on Hyena. I would like to see him in those sweaters/glasses he wore in Ep 1/Ep 16. Very cute which isn't what springs to mind when I think of him lol.

Yeah if KHA didn't have World this yr, KHS would've gotten it hands down. I hope she gets recognized at the SBS Drama Awards, but she's also been recognized for her work so many other times too. She's an icon for a reason!

P.S- You mentioned Mask and you seemed to have enjoyed it. I heard it gets ridiculous at certain points, but did you think JJH got a good role for him/did it show off his strengths as an actor? Did he and Soo Ae have good chemistry and a good relationship in the show? Thanks!

There's a heatwave here, and I can't deal with it - so this week I had trouble following dramas as usual. The harvest is small, therefore, lol.

The Good Detective LDC, nooooo! I had hopes, they've been dashed... *sigh* You know the final quarter-hour of /The Last of the Mohicans, when Uncas goes to save Alice and midway it all turns from a rescue to a revenge mission? That's what it feels like, in TGD. I just hope none of the leads dies. And oh, the reporter was such a disappointment. I hope it was a scheme and she actually gave OJH the USB... but then LDC wouldn't have died. This is one of the good series ATM, I think.

Still stuck in bubble-candy-land with Ashes of Love, I can't move on (the heat doesn't help.) I activelly want to watch this, I just can't concentrate, and it deserves a bit more attention than just watching the pretty.

A bit behind on Backstreet Rookie, will they have time to have some kind of romance between the leads?... Overall, though, so far it's been way better than I expected, so this time there won't be any second-hand embarassment for JCW's dramas, and I needed that. I want to see him in another action story, though, he's good at it.

I'll be watching Flower of Evil when it's done, I've (re)learned my lesson the hard way with TGD. If it's really good, I can't wait for the next episode, so I don't want to go through that pain with this. LJG fighting!

The Wolf got postponed yet again, *sigh*, but there's hope it'll air mid-August. Just like it was for it to be aired in May, June and July. Oh well...

I share your feelings about TGD.

Part of what makes BACKSTREET ROOKIE so good is that it is NOT following the usual rom-com formula. This may be in part because it is based upon a web-toon. It at times even imports some of the cartoon aspects into the drama.

Despite being based upon a webtoon it has shown an amazing amount of depth when it comes to the shifting relationship between our two lead characters. In the first episodes Dae-hyun is constantly worried that Jeon-joo will get the wrong idea about Saet-byul but now, even though he and SB are not dating yet, the shoe is on the other foot and now it it Saet-byul's feelings which matter. Even if he does not yet admit it to himself he is now deeply in love with Saet-byul- as he should be.

Another thing about BACKSTREET ROOKIE is that it is turning out to be far more about family than one would have expected: Some of the most moving scenes in the last episode were between Saet-byul and Dae-hyun's mom, who has decided that SB is family. There are also the scenes with Saet-byul and her sister. People scoffed when Kim Yoo-jung said that she took this part because the show was about family but in fact she is being proven right- to a great extent it really is.

So I am enjoying this show in large part precisely because it is not taking the usual journey towards love but instead a deeper and, in my opinion, a more realistic one.

This week was a slow watch week for me but here are some updates!

Psychopath Diary: I finished this one this week and suffice to say, I could go on and on about YSY’s duality. I’m not sure how he does it but it’s just unbelievable! He switches between his two personas so easily and effortlessly that it makes his “psychopathic” mentality more interesting and enthralling. Once you get past its very peculiar genre (I mean, what is a thriller-comedy? LOL), the show becomes a lot more fun to watch and I’d definitely recommend it! Also, Memorials is looking really good right now to pull me out of my PSH withdrawal slump…

I’ll Find You on a Beautiful Day: I only watched a couple eps this week (currently on ep 10), but the cinematography, music, acting, and just everything was still such a joy to watch. The lowkey nature of the drama is so calming to me and I’m appreciating the change of pace. I really want to learn more about Hae-won’s aunt and father (especially since he kind of got introduced through the court case but nothing has happened since). The anticipation for the true explanation is killing me haha But, on another note, can we please talk about Eun-seob’s family? They’re all so wholesome and I truly love their scenes. His parents sincerely care for him and I think that’s a beautiful sight. Plus, Hwi is absolutely hilarious. She’s inexplicably herself in all her craziness and it just provides the perfect contract to Eun-seob, but she still cares so much for her brother which again, I love to see. I have a feeling I’m going to miss this drama quite a bit when I finish it…

Train: I was raving about YSY above when talking about Psychopath Diary and I’m going to do the same now. In my opinion, the Do-wons are alike in more ways than they are different and the simple nuances in YSY’s portrayal of each caused by the differences in upbringing are so consistent so far. I knew that he was a good actor but this show just reinforced this and I’m so glad I gave it a try. At this point, I am so very suspicious of almost everyone in World B. Just in the way they introduced many of the “new” characters made each of them very secretive and as if they were hiding something (like, I don’t know, them being a serial killer). Hopefully, some questions get answered with these next couple episodes as we move past the halfway point!

United Effort to Accomplish One Thing: Gosh, that’s my first time writing out the entire name and it was painful. And, the acronym’s UEAOT which just looks very ugly to me LOL But, onto the plot. I’ve only watched the first two episodes so far and I absolutely love it. The Clue meets Agatha Christie meets Knives Out vibes make my mystery-loving heart so happy. I’m not sure what gets revealed in eps 3-4 but I don’t think Bit-na or her mom is the culprit. Their reactions seemed natural? Well, as natural as they can look. There’s just something about the two of them that doesn’t strike me as the one who killed In-ho. To be honest, though, I feel like the show is going to pull a “Oh wait! No one killed In-ho because he killed himself by ingesting a wrong pill or drug or whatever” which will greatly disappoint me. Everyone else in the house seems sooo suspicious that it’s actually hilarious and it’s definitely keeping me engaged.

Flower of Evil: I’ve only seen the first episode and I’m just gonna say it: my favorite parts have to be the family scenes. LJK and MCW are so cute together! And then Eun-ha? She’s adorableeeee~ I really love how there’s that juxtaposition between these happy, wholesome moments vs. the horror/scary scenes with LJK. I really like the premise and I’m looking forward to watching the next ep and learning more about LJK’s character and his past. I really like the acting of all the characters and I’m hoping this stays consistent throughout. Also, the detectives are hilarious together and I’m glad that there’s some comedic relief amidst all the chaos that’s ensuing from LJK’s secret identity. So far, everything is looking really good and I’m really glad! It’s checking all the boxes, so thank you drama for meeting my expectations (at least initially) :)

I’m also watching Crash Landing on You (didn’t make any progress on this one because I’ve been in a CLOY slump and haven’t really found the motivation to watch it) and IOTNBO. I haven’t seen that many more episodes of this but I’m hoping to get all caught up in time for the finale next week!

I always said that music and cinematography were another character in IFYOABD. I loved this drama so much when live watching that it went directly to my top 10.
EunSeob's family is the best definition of a family and I find ES and Hwi's relation the best in the drama.

Oh, definitely! The whole production is so beautifully held together with the landscape shots and soothing music. I'm sure this will find its place in my top 10 too haha

Their sibling relation is so wholesome, it's nice to see in a drama.

I'LL FIND YOU ON A BEAUTIFUL DAY was one of the best shows of the year- and all the better because of the splendid cinematography. I remember how well it captured not just the sights but the sounds of a winter forest at night for instance.

It was well written and the acting was splendid: Anyone who claimed that Park Min-young is not a good actress was definitely proven wrong by this show. Even the music was well fitted to this show.

Anyone who has nnot seen this show is missing out.

I've loved PMY's acting for quite some time now and I never knew that I needed to see her in a role like this. She seems to make every genre work and this one is no exception!

Psychopath Diary!! Such an underrated show, in my opinion. I mean, it definitely didn't reinvent the wheel with the true villain, but it was just SO hilarious to watch Yoon Si Yoon playing both sides. You can just tell he enjoys what he's doing so much (acting) and it's fun to watch.

Speaking of which, have you seen "Your Honor"? That's another drama with him playing two people, but this time it's a con artist and a judge. It's HILARIOUS.

YSY fumbling around while thinking he was the psychopath could be one of the funniest things I've seen in a drama as of late. His antics throughout were hilarious!! After watching the last ep, I went on a behind the scenes video binge and he's having so much fun both on and off camera it's refreshing to watch :)

I haven't! Though, it is on my watchlist. I'll be sure to watch it soon because I'm definitely going down a dual-role rabbit hole LOL (maybe this will also be my motivation to watch Kill Me, Heal Me...)

I really need to watch Psychopath Diary. I remember when it aired hearing about it. Watched 1 ep. and postponed it for now. Too much stuff to watch. I will say that PSH in that show was dangerously charismatic/suave. He's one versatile actor, he looks so diff. in all his shows. ITR is very cute, he's dorky/sweet there.

You should give it another try when you get the chance! I've been behind on the airing dramas, so I'm catching up on all the ones that I missed out on and can binge LOL The difference between PSH in PD and ITR is definitely unreal and I'm really excited to start ITR

I should! I liked what I saw too, but too many other shows (both old/new). Maybe when ITR finishes! And yes PSH is versatile.

FLOWER OF EVIL

@missvictrix echoes my sentiments perfectly. I am bored with the random crime fillers, first in Episode 1, and again in two. Are they going to give us a random crime every episode? I can even pick out the culprit --- the unlikeliest of all the suspects, of course! I get frustrated, because I want to see more of Hot-Maybe-Evil Metallic LJK.

We all want hot-who-cares-if-he's-evil-LJK.

i am just a bit creeped out by him playing this role. his pixie face and evil demeanor just don't mix to me and i am used to him being the romantic/hero type. i think it is that it is hard to watch someone you love so much being such a bad deceiving person!

I think the procedural element was used to learn about the female lead in her environment. Also, the guy saying the patient ones are the scary and the gal saying, hey, 3% of people are like me. Laying breadcrumbs that she might reflect back on in days to come. In episode 3 it looks like the case she is working on is the reporter so I think the story goes to her slowly realizing she doesn't know her husband at all through the next two cases.

Or not, heck, who knows.

@yyishere yes! there's just so much juicy stuff to explore here, it would be a shame if we're forced to watch boring crime o' the week instead

Into the Ring/Memorials: Episodes 9 and 10 were so good. This drama is so smart and funny and the OTP makes me so happy. So glad I was wrong about the kiss being a dream.

The Good Detective: Episode 8 was a hard watch. From the moment I saw Jo Jae-Yun listed as a guest star in Episode 1, I had a feeling about what was going to happen.

Flower of Evil: Off to a good start. I really want LJK’s character to be a serial killer.

Chip-In: Now I get what the title means. So far five members of the family knowingly or unknowingly chipped in on the murder. We’ll see about the others. I loved Bit Na and Sun working together to solve the murder, but I don’t trust Sun. I trust Bit Na but maybe I shouldn’t?

It’s Okay to Not Be Okay: They are a family. Sniff. Preparing to have my heart torn out this week.

Train: I like seeing the difference between the two worlds. Hoping for more Alt-Do won this week.

Graceful Friends: I start getting interested in this drama and then there are boring scenes that don’t seem connected to the plot but maybe they are?

Once Again: Lots of stuff happened last week. I’m glad the brother and his ex-wife reunited. I’m glad the two couples know about each other. I hate the fake sister plot. Mom living with her archenemy should be fun though.

Mom living with her arch-enemy (and Once and Future In-Law?) is a fun idea on ONCE AGAIN. Even more fun is that they now have two children each dating. Oppa re-united with his wife is good, and I too hate the fake sister subplot.

Running Man is the only constant.
Unlike the dramas, the plot can't disappoint me here because even if there are one or two sloppy eps in b/w, the cast and their chemistry make up for it.
But it is the opposite in dramas, even if I really really love the cast, I can't watch if the plot is not good.
And I developed a deep craving for Thrillers and an almost aversion like feeling for Rom-coms. Major Crisis.
I am counting days for Stranger 2. Don't disappoint me lutfen.

I tried Train and I kinda was into it for 2 eps. But the parallel world thing and B world characters kinda put me off.

Watching Good Detective, I know its flaws but it keeps me on the loop.

Finished 4th ep of Chip In. I like the mystery, but feel like the drama is pretentious at times.

FInished 4th ep of Chip In. While I like the

Train: 8.0 If our Do-wons keep talking nonsense about things from the other universe, might they get locked up in mental hospitals? There's an interesting one over in the It's OK universe which could maybe use an inmate with detective skills to help solve a couple deaths/disappearances.

It's OK to ... Kiss aka It's OK to ... Just Take the Bleepin' Family Portrait: 8.0 Well, the butterfly is out out of the bag.

Memorials / Into the Ring: 9.0

Memorist: 5.5 Binged the last 6 episodes and finally finished 4+ months after I started. It wasn't really worth it. Can someone with those superpowers please erase that show and implant some happy memories of the last 4 months?

United Effort to Accomplish One Thing / Chip In: 8.5

Flower of Evil: 6.0 Are there any houses in S.K. that DON'T have a secret basement?

I feel your pain about Memorist. If I didn't watch it while airing I wouldn't have found the strength to finish so I declare you my hero. I still don't know why we had like 6 episodes that led nowhere, although the ending made sense to me.

Lmao, your comment on flower of evil made me laugh because he has a secret basement and a secret panel.

Is that basement really all that secret though? It's not hidden at all.

This is fair, but it is locked, so that makes it mysterious.

LOL As a mom I would say, that's just good parenting so the little gal can't fall down the stairs.

Into the Ring - The drama I should like. The main couple is idealistic, it has some nice schemy politics, he's a bit of nerd, she's so independent. I like all that so much but then again, she is a little cartoonish while he is natural and on the subtle way of acting, it's like they are on different dramas. The far fetched big events don't really fit either, those guys would never think SeRa would be easy to manipulate or accept her lame ex-fiancee as secretary. It's lazy.

Graceful Friends It could have been so much better, this drama doesn't know how to balance mystery and comedy. The two funny friends seem a bit extra and the comedy doesn't really fit. It should have been a decent melo about the four guys. Still like the other guys a lot and maybe their story will take over the show.

Flower of Evil I was skeptical but first ep was really good and second wasn't bad either. Since he doesn't understand how to display emotions properly and seems to enjoy his evil moments I don't think drama plans to pull a twist on his nature as a psycho. The cop cases and MCW are not even boring and his parents were great.

You are right about the different acting approaches taken by our two leads in INTO THE RING (for once the Viki title is the better title for this show) but to me it works well: It underscores the wildly different personalities of our lead characters.

Men Are Men- This drama features not only past lives connection but also childhood connection in this life. The boys and now even the parents are starting to get annoying. Gosh just let her work on the webtoon in peace. The only memories she has retained so far are of him leaving her, but of course he came back in those past lives so now she only needs to get back those memories and maybe marry him. But inspite of all the nonsense in this drama its weirdly watchable. I don't pause the episode even once while watching. But I like Hyun-joo a lot and I just can't ship her with Ji-woo, please make an unpredictable ending.

Just started Memorials and will catch up with everyone. I started liking Se-ra as soon as she picked up the can she kicked to the ground, already rooting for her.

Currently watching:

1. A Poem A Day: Think I'm at episode 6 and still enjoying it so far. To be honest, there are some elements of the story that I found not that funny and there were many cliches, but I begin to feel that I'm quite liking this one (oh well this is mostly due to the FL and one of the male leads) despite something I don't like. Moreover, I kinda like the idea of a show revolving around poems. I am not, and have never been, a poem expert nor a poet, but seeing how much our young FL loves poems just made me google some famous poems on the internet.

So now I'm liking this one: I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud (Daffodils) by William Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

This was one of the first poems I ever memorized, as an 8 year old or something, loving the rhyme and the cadence but hardly knowing what it meant, but then when I studied it properly years later, it took on a whole new flavour. Thank you for reminding me of it!

Loving the rhyme and the cadence but hardly knowing what it meant, but then when I studied it properly years later, it took on a whole new flavour...

I guess you're a poet. There are many rhymes here ^ ^

No sensibility of a poet at all / definitely a prose person! :D this is just one of those poems I crammed as a kid, but was lucky enough to properly study later on. :)

APAD made us all appreciate poetry more ❤️ The first episodes were kind of rough because I didn’t like anyone except the FL either, but then it gets better and better...
Word of caution: Don’t get too attached to any ship, as choosing the wrong one has been known to result in heartbreak, long-standing bitterness, and the production of fanfic.

Omo.. I have already chosen a ship and I have a feeling that it's gonna be the wrong one. I can't help myself though...

Good luck! I couldn’t make up my mind at the time so I ended up on the Island of Neutrality with several other beanies, watching the ships battle it out while we sipped cocktails 😂

I envy you! LoL