Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

stroopwafel

Currently recapping: House on Wheels

Trans-Siberian Pathfinders: I’ve had this on my watchlist since last year and I’ve finally been able to make time and watch. The concept is pretty straightforward, five actor friends come together to take a journey across Russia on the Trans-Siberian Railway. The two oldest members of the cast are Lee Seon-kyun and Kim Nam-gil, and they’re joined by Go Kyu-pil, Kim Min-shik, and Lee Sang-yub as they navigate a new country and a new culture. I’ve only finished the first episode and my main takeaway is that the two hyungs are not great travelers, but watching them fumble and rely on the youngsters is really entertaining. I knew Kim Nam-gil was a big kid at heart from his other variety appearances, but seeing him giving in to his shopaholic side being a goof with his friends is too fun to miss.

missvictrix

Currently weecapping: Graceful Friends

Lonely Enough to Love: Kim So-eun and Ji Hyun-woo were in two of my much-loved dramas (Liar Game and Queen In-hyun’s Man, respectively), so what about them together in a rom-com about a psychiatrist and copy editor? Add in some social commentary about modern dating, and it sounds worth a shot. Well, there’s a reason why this drama didn’t make it to a primetime slot. It’s a major snooze, and no amount of cheeky smiles and hijinks could make my eyes not want to close while I was watching the first episode of this drama. Perhaps a Liar Game rewatch would be a better use of time.

quirkycase

It’s Okay to Not Be Okay: That was an underwhelming and overly saccharine ending. Honestly, I started losing interest in the last few weeks, partly due to the ridiculous mother plot line. Nuance left the building with that one, and she became such a caricature of a villain that her antics actually made me laugh which I don’t believe was the intended effect. Otherwise, it was really well-acted throughout – not that I expected otherwise from this cast – and had a wonderful aesthetic. The fairytale stuff was woven in nicely, and I loved the tone, especially in the earlier episodes. On the whole, I enjoyed this drama, but I do believe the story could’ve been handled a lot better in the latter half.

United Effort to Accomplish One Thing: This was fun from start to finish, and I looked forward to watching it every week. The reveals and overall mystery were paced well, so nothing felt draggy. The mystery itself wasn’t anything revolutionary, but it didn’t need to be. It ended more optimistically than I had expected, but I think it worked. While I’m sad it’s over, it was just the right number of episodes. I hope we get more of these tightly plotted short dramas; it’s nice to watch a drama that doesn’t have to pad the story out in order to fit the typical episode count.

Tags: , ,

Hello, Beanies! Last week we noticed the comments got a little too strong, so we’d like to remind everyone of our commenting policy. Whether you’re new here, or a DB veteran, let’s all do our part in keeping this a considerate space in which to talk dramas. If you see any comments that are hateful, explicit, and so on, please tag @db-staff so we can call in our firefighters. Thank you~

Was It Love (Episode 11-12) - Check out the Fantasy Rewrite for an alternative backstory!
There’s nothing good to talk about the drama itself other than the fact that it stars actors that I loved and came to like so let’s talk a bit about the meta: why did they agree to do this? Koo Ja Sung and Kim Da Som: these two are super green (this being their third prime-time drama) so they probably were contended with getting lead roles. Song Ji Hyo: mentioned this would likely be her last lead role due to her age. Kim Min Jun: was out of the spotlight due to marriage so this was a nice comeback show. So far so good but then the 2 Reply alumni: just why?

United Effort to Accomplish One Thing (Episode 7-8)
I must admit I wasn’t exactly satisfied with the reveals: the manager being the sole culprit for all the incidents felt like a safe writing choice and it would have been more interesting to see different people being responsible. Also, it felt like a happy ending was served onto my plate without the proper setup and I had whiplash seeing Sul Young agree to turning herself in. Regardless, the finale delivered a deluge of character moments that made the auction scene watchable (it’s a clear filler). All in all, I do think the drama gets my stamp of approval but just barely: the characters carried the story.

Memorials (Episode 13-14)
Going into the finale week, I realised that this show’s foundations were not as strong as I hoped they were: the story all harks back to that resort fire incident which has influenced our OTP’s lives and values. I do appreciate the fact that it’s not used as an obstacle to the romance but rather the politics, yet at the same time it feels like we’ve dragged the one incident for the whole show with taking down Chief Won as one of the bigger highlights. The secondary characters are not developed consistently which is a problem. I hope the show hasn’t forgotten that Yang was murdered and silenced!

Flower of Evil (Episode 5-6)
What I’m most interested to find out from this week is actually something that is unrelated to the murders: how does Ji Won have the power to cause Do Min Seok to walk away in Hee Sung’s mind? The drama has already taken liberty with the ‘personality disorder’ that comes from ‘family trauma’ and I hope it isn’t intending to have ‘love’ be the ‘antidote’ of this ‘illness’. Also, what caused the real Hee Sung to become comatose after the car accident that was supposedly the reason why Hee Sung was given a new identity? Does his memories contain important clues about the serial murderer?

Also watching: Graceful Friends (Episode 9-10) / Men Are Men (Episode 11-12)
Completing: Train

To your question about Ji Won, I don't think she has the power to banish his father at all. It is a mental thing. He father is his head was a nightmare of his own making, he just needed the courage to get rid of him, she is a crutch.

Perhaps not a crutch so much as a support. I think he genuinely loves her and she genuinely loves him, and that feeling brings him some measure of peace as well as helps quell whatever dissonance is within him over the type of person he is vs the type of person he has been told he is.

I think Song Jong-ho has had to be content with a lot of supporting roles since his Reply97 days. I love him, but he doesn't get cast that often for meaty parts. I wish he would. I loved him in the drama special The Reason I'm Getting Married. He was probably super excited to get cast in a main role.

Memorials Only two more episodes in wich I would like to see Sera in mode bulldozer and not as the puppet of old politicians. But the couple is still super cute!

Backstreet Rookie It was a nice final (but I'm bitter... no final kiss scene... :( )

It's Okay To Not Be Okay It was a good drama. But for me, the story was really about the 2 brothers, I think MY's story was not well developped between her past and ADP.

'The Good Detective It's crazy how Oh Jung-se was in both It's Okay[...] and this drama and I totally see two different persons.'

Totally agree with your OJS comment...I was watching both at the same time and I have to paused for a while to tell myself that this is 2 different character :P

I kept thinking about OJS being such a good actor he can be sweet ST and psycho Jong Tae!!

Came here to say this about Oh Jung-se and The Good Detective!

After watching him in It's Okay To Not Be Okay, I had to see the other character he played, to satisfy my curiosity :p

OJS must have been a busy man filming 2 shows at the same time.

I haven't posted on here in a loooooong time but here goes:

Was It Love: How will they invent enough plot to finish the show off? I'm watching this one with my sister and we're both pretty bored now - all the suitors (sans Pa-do, who is basically living in another drama) are hateful, Ae-jung is infuriating with her misplaced pride and complete ignorance to her daughter's problems, and I don't know where we could go from here. I did like the scene in episode eleven where Ae-jung and Dae-oh finally talked it out, so maybe we can expect the rest of the show to cover them rebuilding trust in each other? Orrrrr Ha-nee will be kidnapped by gangsters? That's my main theory.

Chip In: What do you know, it wasn't about the murder after all! Hahaha, to avoid spoiling much this little show is definitely worth your time if you like good character-driven mystery.

Psycho But It's Okay: I've said my piece about this in the final recap, but basically I can forgive its flaws. The main trio are jjang enough that I'm very very very proud this show will be part of my Bean Count.

Ha! Yes about Chip In not being about the murder (or that murder, let's say) Definitely a fun little watch.

IONTBO: Underwhelming and overly saccharine ending? I'm not sure we watched the same show.
And I'm sure the writer didn't want us to fear the mother either.

Dunno if it is just me or the dramas, but seems like this season so many shows start out with a bang and end with a sad whimper. I think I have dropped more shows about 1/2 or 2/3 through this season than anytime in the past 3-4 years.

The Good Detective - just as expected, the evil cousin just had to go and threaten and then follow up with his threat on OJH. I knew it was going to happen, just not so soon. I don't get it - why wouldn't any of them or the hospitals announce the police there were people with such wounds? OJH was carelessly saying they reciprocately attacked each other so that cancelled out, and I was shaking my head, I don't think that's how it works! What, no investigation at all in an attempted murder?! WTF?! The romance with the reporter is kind of cute though, and KDC is still a pillar to lean on. It's just the murder mystery that's going nowhere fast and I miss the team working together. It's heading in the final two weeks, I hope it carries on the momentum. Go team!

Finished Ashes of Love... And I'm still firmly in the SL team. Whatever he did is kind of motivated, while I never felt that the ML had any other importance other than being smitten with the FL. The eps with the ML being in the Demon Realm were underwhelming to be honest, and I lost most of my interest in the main romance. Good thing the SL was there to break down and mess things up. Overall, a very nice production, good music. not too bad acting, and while it god a bit draggy toward the end, it was a good ending.

Then, because Luo LunXi, I made the mistake of watching Fox in the Screen and it was hurtful. He was the only one giving it all in that production, the story was a mess, the villains were laughable, the effects kind of lame, and there's no music to speak of. Happily it was an older drama, so it definitely won't change what he is now. I wish him well and can barely wait for Immortality.

Then, as I still can't get into any new k-drama (waiting for Flower of Evil to end, first), I started another c-drama, Mr. Fox and Miss Rose. I'm in the first eps still, so no idea how it's going to unfold, but it's interesting so far and it's a change from costume dramas anyway. I don't know how seriously they're taking themselves and there are some plot quirks I haven't understood yet, but there's time.

So that's that for now.

I became a huge fan of Luo Yun Xi because of Ashes of Love! I enjoyed the drama somewhat but he made the character something beyond what was scripted. Can also recommend BTS, he's so sweet and committed on the set!

I watched And the Winner is Love first, lol, and he carried most of the drama too, with some help from Zhou Ting Wei. (Strangely, he didn't have much chemistry with the FL, and she was way better in AoL where her pair was ZTW. I blame the script and the director for the slowness of that drama, there was not a lot the actors could work with to make it smoother.)

He's a beautiful man and the costume dramas really present him at his best. And obviously he's a good actor - one of my favourite eps in AoL is the one where his bio mom gets killed in front of him and he just gets this expression. I'd have watched any drama just because of him - actually, I just did. That's why I have high hopes for Immortality, he's perfect as Shizun, lol. I'm not sure about Chen Fei Yu as MoRan, but then, I've only seen him in Ever Night and he did well there... Keeping fingers crossed they do the story justice! I'm not asking for another megahit like The Untamed (but will take it if it happens, lol), just that they don't forget to include the freaking 3000 stairs scene, or there'll be blood!

The Good Detective. Shaking my head too. If there were less outrageous stuff going on that has no consequences, it would be a great crime drama, one of the best I've seen. Some really good acting there.

I share your thoughts about The Good Detective. Jong Tae was attacked at the site where a detective was (and it was known by everyone), and he must have JiHyeok blood all over his body. The same thing applies to JiHyeok. But no one is investigating... I guess it's dramaland, but it still is weird.
Anyway, I'm having lots of fun watching, I'm liking it a lot and I also find the romance really cute.

It's Okay To Not Be Okay: Enjoyed it for the most part but the second half needed some discipline on not going over an hour because I think the pacing slowed down a bit too much. I also saw no reason for the makjang is-it-mom stuff. Overall it was solid but another drama that could have been better.

Flower of Prison: Unlike many, I'm glad he's not a serial killer because I think that has been done to death though I know actors love to play those roles. I blame Anthony Hopkins. Anyway, I know the unemotional thing isn't new either, but I think whether it is a nature or nurture issue, there are more layers to peel back with this type of character.

So far the story is solid (through the first 15 minutes of ep 6 because the subtitling is sloooow). The female lead seems competent and I won't blame her for taking 20 minutes to get him out of the water...lol...I'll blame the PD. I'm gonna be disappointed if the gal doesn't have a few secrets of her own. The unexpected bromance is a fun bonus. And LJG as a blond. I didn't know I needed that but it suits him.

So far this summer, Mystic Pop Up, It's Okay and Flower of Evil have been my 3. I'm considering jumping into Train because the subtitling thing is driving me crazy. Also watching WWW around one episode a week at this point.

I agree about Flower of Evil. Also I would recommend Train. It turned out to be good.

I marathoned Train this weekend and also am enjoying it more than I expected. The death at the end of the second episode turned me off for a while. (Too much experience with grief to want to watch a whole show about it.)

agree for iotnbo-- i loved the initial eps because of how dark and spooky they were !! overtime that kinda faded out and the drama became more warm and cute (and don't get me started on how annoying the mom thing was). i like cute dramas, but i absolutely LOVED the darkness the show had in the beginning and wished they went with that. i did enjoy it overall, but not as much as the initial half of the series

moment of 18: another show i decided to binge on while currently watching only 2 live dramas. A very cute and melancholic highschool drama that delved into social issues surrounding grades, competition and just being an 18 year in general. Kang ki young was once again my favourite character and all the other rookie actors did an equally good job. An enjoyable drama overall.

I adored this drama so much, so I am glad you liked it!!

it was an underdog drama for me and i enjoyed it for its simple story

this is on my list!

CRICKET - England won. It was a good test for most part. England weather makes test matches much more interesting and uncertainty of weather is a part of beauty of Test Cricket. Most like ODI and T20 but i prefer test cricket over those both. Test is real cricket. ODI and T20 are more showoff, glamourous junk food except when there is World Cup. Fact is i haven't ever watched a Cricket match live in a cricket stadium. Crowd+noise pollution and in between the drunkards isn't a nice incentive to sit in hot sun watching sports where most things happen within a second and you have to relay on big screen and replays to get the real picture.
And one fact that goes against Cricket is - In most countries Cricket is no on Free to Air channels. so you have to buy costly monthly plans just to have access to some cricket and those channels and most of the time a single channel not has access to all cricket so you have to spend more money to have subscription from different broadcasters.
Cricket is costly affair. Not many around me watch cricket and that kind of make me minority viewer, and i find it better because then you don't have to deal with drunkard fans day to day like that happens in football.

JAPAN -

My housekeeper Mr. Nagisa - 7.5 out of 10. 1st 3 episodes were too much on profession and story's one main point still is balancing professional and other life. Now Heroine is getting more and more curious about this old guy and young competitor is feeling the heat. Still quite enjoyable. Tabe as usual.

Furo Girl - 6.5 out of 10. Thanks Translator for picking this up and a new translator. Furo girl isn't good transition from manga to live action. Sakurai Hinako with puffed up face, a bit heavy voice and intentionally making voice expressions does not much for the drama.
It is a clearly a product placement aka home product advertisement show. A reality show with story. Channel picked up this show for 2 reasons 1. NICHE to cater to the needs of minority audience. a way to earn goodwill.
2. Advertisers came with the idea of turning this manga to a drama or broadcaster easily got the sponsor as well as advertisers. That's why you feel its a big entertaining CM. I wanted to see more but it clearlt lacks the impact. Though, i'm gonna watch all the episodes.

Cinderella - 7/10 - I'm 2 episodes behind. too busy in real life.

Papa ga mo - 6/10 - Cute Fukumoto Riko the future competitor of Hamabe and Mei Nagano. manga to live action. so expect that extra something that makes it different. Watched the 1st episode and saw what that extra weird thing is.

Cheat - 4/10 - pretty mediocre drama with lot of time waste and nonsense.

Nina my Love - 6/10 - When a girl is questioned. Nina's outburst is very real and that's what make this manga to live action more real.

Hanazawa Naoki season 2 - 8 out of 10.
the superhero we need and the superhero we deserve!!?
If source is strong then tv drama will turn out strong too. This gives boost to your adrenaline.

Sedai Wars - Crazy action is here. Theme is quite good and that's why you get around all hyper activity of characters.

We Are Not Ourselves - 6/10 something wrong with us.

Manga to Live Action. It shoul have been an anime.

Entertaining. Yeah yeah. Interesting. yeah yeah.
Out of trend drama - yeah yeah. It's a bit foolish story.
The mode of story makes it feel like not be pf 2020.
Hero or heroine hurting family members of each other and then falling in love and then come to know about it for the dramatic struggle and suffering. It is soap opera story. The whole presentation made it more funny than serious atmosphere. Director has done good job but at the same time it looks, director is fooling the audience with shoujo nonsense camera action. I don't talk about acting but we have Yokohama Ryusei here - male version of hashimoto kanna - overhyped by fandom, getting all good projects and ruin most of the them. Have good agency that keeps on bringing one mainstream project after another for him. I think Takahigo Mahiro would have done better job than him. And to top it off this guy is shooting "Your Eyes Tell" with Yoshitaka Yuriko, the main title of BTS and it was trening on twitter. Well, if you have that type of audience what else you expect. Atleast, he won't starve as crazy fandom foolishly spend and that's what everyone loves.

Overall, alright 1st episode and Minami Hamabe also needs to elevate her acting status. None of these celebrities deserve to be called Actors. They are getting paid fro it so have the responsibility to do a good job.

Umizaru - manga to live action. Average movies. same manga theme of nakama power, friendship, growing up and some love.
Umizaru 3 - same. Good thing is life progress shown of the main couple.
Wolf Games - idol trash and to think there are so many movies of these idols. idols are good for business but that doesn't student of art. whitewashed faces should join theatre for a few months before thinking about acting at all. such disgrace. Well, they know whatever trash they serve will be happily eaten so they don't care much. thrifty business but earn no respect or goodwill.

Korea+ China

Happiness will come - 4/10 - 6 episodes. Generally melodramatic Cdrama start to frustrate and annoy you from 2nd week onwards but here all the negativity starts from 1st episode itself. Its headache. Writer forces you to feel pity for hero and writer nonsense to prolong the story. It's into trash category for sure.

Stranger - overhyped show. Well, that's what fandom do. exaggerate things. seems like have higher budget. looks more ambitious but can it stand? I don't want to see another Lame Game. That show had potential but turned into typical korean soap opera aka mexican drama.

damn those mexican dramas must absolutely SLAP

@catocat. RE: Furo Girl - A different take.

For me, that ..."heavy voice and intentionally making voice expressions"... and the Classical score actually is hilarious and inspired. Notice how episodes are ending with the words "heaven" and "paradise". This show is domestic transcendence and the meta harks way back to Evangelion when Shinji meeting the gods and angels. The same music the same intensity.

Yes, it has all the hallmarks of PP but it never focuses on the expensive product, it is more the act of bathing and the accoutrements. Sure it's full of setsumei - but that is so J-slice of life shows. On that level it is no different to so many J food based shows.

I love that this 1/2 hour takes home bathing to the same ritual as Kyūdō. Sometimes I forget that it is basically a 2 hander a girl taking a bath at home...that's it. that is the show.

You have more knowledge about Japanese media than me. I actually rarely watch anime so at time miss references made. All that act is to create humour but that didn't work on me at all. There are times when Japanese humour indeed is foreign for an outsider. Completely agree that it is more ritual of bath than a casual attempt at PPL. Exposition is what makes these shows coverup the PPL and i say in that regard this show is different from generic reality shows as well idol centered food shows.

And i love Kyuudo the art.

MEN ARE MEN: The fate trope taken to an illogical extreme. Why do people believe their past lives allows them to "claim" someone in the present? Ji-Woo's delusional behavior to brain wash Hyun-Joo into liking him (when in fact he betrayed her at least 3 times in the past) is so repugnant that she should have left work and got a restraining order. Sun-Hee's obsession with a lost crush is at least in the present time line, but her revenge story line is incredibly stupid. Why did not one "smart" board member immediately question her about knowing about the contract; where to look for it; why the accounting department was not aware; whether the audit department found any missing money, etc. It was such an obvious frame but Ji-Woo lamely took the blame like the deadwood he is. The show's whole foundational principle of "past lives matter" is ridiculous; does that mean that Do-Gyeom is going to be the third wheel for eternity?

WAS IT LOVE?: At least we got a hint of clarity from AJ. She knew her relationship with Da-oh was over even before the pregnancy test. It appears she did not want to rush a marriage/responsibility on a broken relationship. Based on her own father's early death and her mother's strength, AJ felt she could handle raising her child alone. But the father reveal was made at the worst possible moment: in the principal's office with Hanee being blindsided by the truth. We still have Pado and Dong Chan's story holes to fill. Sook-Hee's description of her being an emotional locksmith instead of bartender is a better premise for a drama than this show's. She seems the only person who can mend all the characters broken ties, but I do not see AJ and Da-oh getting back together.

ONCE AGAIN: Da-Hee and Jae Seok's bombshell will set off a final round of angst between the families, but with Yoon-Jung's acceptance of Da-Hee being critical to finding a diagnosis of YJ's continuing memory loss. I still do not get the Ga-Hee and Hyo Shin love line, notwithstanding her ex-husband's pathetic attempts at a re-boot.
Variety:
House on Wheels: The show is beginning to drift inconsistently between episodes depending on how conversational the guests are. Looking forward to Ha Ji Won's appearance.
How Do You Play?: The SSAK3 project is coming to a bittersweet end. It was very interesting to see the backstage reality of Korean music shows.
Fun Restaurant: Less trot; more food.

spot on for men are men🤣

i'm on the same boat with men are men. the characters using their past life as an excuse to claim the other person is just borderline creepy and possessive. I enjoy the leads chemistry a lot but i wish it wasn't built on something ridiculous and a bunch of lies..sigh

I'm still a big fan of WAS IT LOVE? and loved episodes 11 and 12 because truths were finally being revealed. As for the reveal for Hae-Nee in the principal's office, it was a difficult situation. Dae-Oh's being there left him no choice but to say who he was when asked because, earlier, Hae-Nee had told him the thing that would make her feel good again would the the Truth, hearing the truth instead of having people lie to her to spare her feelings. (the talk at the park bench). Dae-Oh had decided not to lie to her, to be a person she could trust. I don't think he went to the principals office to reveal that he is the dad. I think he probably went because he seems to have a bit of a problem with impulse control and wanted to find out what was going on that was causing Hae-Nee to be in trouble, and if there was a way he could help.

Tales from Sook-Hee’s Bar and Losksmith is a drama I’d watch!

Oh, why are we still watching Men are Men @kafiyah-bello @inkcityxx? No one knows.
All you have said is true. And also: it's so obvious to me that JiWoo broke up with HyunJoo every single time in the past because of a noble idiocy. He loves her so much that he prefers her to hate him and break her heart than to know the truth. Fourth life and they hadn't learn a thing. Also, just because you were together in a past life does it mean you have to be together in this one and love that person?

All of this!!!!!

Men are Men: Boy I wish they were wee-caps on here b/c there lots to say!!! The antagonist of this show would've fine if this was a romantic drama. Tbh, this show was mis-marketed, it's more of a romantic drama than rom-com.

It took me a while to get into Beauty Inside which also has a 'cold' anti-social CEO and such, but in MAM, the ML is kinda just there? Not bad, like he's kind and gentle but also a bit shady too? I do like YHM's portrayal, I think he and the rest of the cast other than the FL's parents act as if they're in a Melodrama/romantic drama lol. He does a good job showing his character's struggles, and awkwardness at human contact/intimacy but he's slowly opened up. I also like HJE's portrayal as well, she's subtle and dramatic when she needs to be, and also feisty too. SJH is a cutie, and he's good at showing his emotions, but the whole love triangle aspect here is boring/useless.

Not terrible as I said before, but I wanted to see an epic generation spanning romance (past lives more so than present). Maybe if tvN got this, I think they would've done a better job at it. Wonder how this'll wrap up in the end, if they stick the landing, it could rise my view of this show overall...

IOTNBO - unbelievably simplistic. Inaccurate and weak story. There is a better psycho romance , It’s ok that’s love.

Fiction is reflection of its audience.

Men are men: Still needling along in this one. LOL. Don't mind me at all. I honestly don't know why I am watching this, but here we are.😜😂

The Good Detective: I loved the fight, it was so awful and realistic. There were no stylistic fights, just grunting and heavy breathing. I also loved when Ji Hyuk drank alcohol and as he was leaving passed out, that was hilarious. Added to the fact, he seemed to have no shame when it came to waking up in her house. His confession was adorable and her reaction funny. As for who murdered the cop, mystery abounds.

Memorials: Our OTP continue to be the cutest couple in dramadom. Just adorable. That is all I have to say and I will be sad when it is over.

Flower of Evil: She knows, in one of my favorite and least used tropes😏, the confession in the sleep. Now we see her trying to rationalize her husband's behavior. Also sister murderer, I like it. We shall see how it goes. Also the kisses in this drama🔥🔥🔥.

It's Okay that is love: I adored the ending. I thought it was a lovely end to a mostly fab drama. Growth was the name of the game and they showed it beautifully. Oh Jung Se deserves all of the awards.

Stranger: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH❤️❤️❤️❤️🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥, so excited!!

count me in on the men are men sinking boat lol

Hi, there, fellow rowers in a sinking boat!!!

Kisses on FoE are very good! Props to the actors

You nailed it, as always!

😍😁

Currently watching: The Good Detective, Graceful Friends, Flower of Evil & Train (all up to date episodes)

Just completed: Chip-In (very engaging at the start but a bit underwhelming towards the end. I think it would have been better if it's 1 or 2 episodes shorter)

Looking forward to: Strangers 2 (Yessss!)

Train: Can't believe it is going to finish so soon and I still don't know how they are going to resolve it all.
Flower of Evil: I'm checking constantly to see if the subtitles are completed for episode 6. What are those parents about?
Was It Love?: Like a car crash: don't want to look; can't look away
My Secret Terrius: I've slowed down on this, but loving Son Ho-jun in this
Queen for Seven Days: Slowly making my way to the final episodes. I nearly died when they cut his Achilles tendon.
Just started Save Me: delighted to find Seo Ye-ji of the beautiful voice and delicious Woo Do-hwan there. It has a small town horror story feel about it.
Also dipped into Clean with Passion: not sure how I'll go with this. It seems a bit sugary, but I've only watched a few minutes, and I do want to see some more of Kim Yoo-jung.
Finished It's OK and totally loved it for what it is was - a fairy tale applied to real life. Will put it in my "classics collection"
Finished Backstreet Rookie and totally love Ji Chang-wook. I've seen him in a few things now. He is a sharp actor. I'm shameless enough to say that I tipped Dal-shik to be the writer.
Half an episode to go for King Maker: Change of Destiny: I often do this - race through the early episodes and slow right down at the end, mainly because I both fear the outcome that seems inevitable and don't want to let it go.
I also finished the film Herstory: shocking and deeply moving. I'd already seen Spirits' Homecoming a while ago. Eye opening and saddening.
Thank you to k-dramas for beautiful work that never fails to touch on emotional complexity, and never fails to wrong foot my assumptions about genre. Thanks also to Korean cultural production that draws on a storehouse of history to tell and retell what happened and tease out the tangled motivations behind those events. I can't get enough of it. This afternoon, I was thumbing through the British dramas on BBC First which I used to love and devour and realised what little desire I had to watch the new ones. Soft diplomacy indeed.

The last couple episodes of 7DQ destroyed my soul. I think I went through maybe 2-3 tissue boxes watching that show but I'm still so invested in the story.

Save Me was so much darker than I thought it would be but seeing WDH in each ep made it better.

that's what I'm afraid of with 7DQ

It's worth it! I swear!

So worth it. I think this is one of my favourite from PMY's drama apart from Healer.

Maybe others feel differently, but I found that Clean With Passion only got worst each episode... It started out as a fluffy rom-com and devolved into an angst-fest. I really like YKS, hope he'll return soon to dramaland!
I also loved Save Me. It was my first time seeing SYJ and fell in love with her voice and incredible screen presence... My only quibble is that SYJ and WDH didn't get nearly as many scenes as I would have liked - and Go Joon was there too! Casting director did good in this drama

I'm warned ...

I agree completely about wanting more SYJ/WDH screen time!! I don't know what I was expecting because there is such little focus on the romance of it all, but I wanted to see those two together a lot more than what we were given.

why cant i remember go joon at ALL from save me s1 wtf who did he play??? lol

He was friends with WDH's character. He had this unmissable character introduction: he shows up on the nightclub riding a motorbike and wearing the ugliest shirt in SK, dances a bit on the dancefloor then and proceeds to kick the crap out of a bunch of gangsters. Shame that his character doesn't get much to do, I kept hoping he'd show up again during the whole drama, and he pops up again by the end

Hey Beanies! I hope you all can relax and enjoy your weekend after this long week 😊

This week I finished Forest of Secrets (SO GOOD) and Chip-In, continued watching Flower of Evil and Train. I started Hospital Playlist and Flower Boy Next Door (mainly for the lightheartedness I’m not getting with my other shows).

Forest of Secrets S1/S2: I haven’t seen the first episode yet but I am dying to. The first season ended so well that despite my efforts not to, I just can’t not have expectations. I’m not sure if it’ll be as good as the first (honestly very few sequels are), but I’m hoping that it maintains at least some level of greatness the first season holds. I do have faith in the writer so we’ll see!! *fingers crossed*

Chip-In: The ending was well-done and I liked how the story wrapped everything up. It started off as your regular murder mystery, but ended full of good morals regarding humanity. Being only 8 eps long, it was short and sweet and that definitely played to the show’s advantage. I really enjoyed it!

Flower of Evil: In the midst of my FoS catching up period, I still have to catch up on this past week’s eps. I’ve only finished ep 5. But, everything I’ve said in weeks past stays the same. The acting, writing, and suspense still manage to keep me on my toes and each character is beautifully nuanced. I’m gonna praise the actors for the billionth time but LJG and MCW are truly pulling off their respective characters amazingly. I love everything about this drama and I’m just hoping it maintains the momentum throughout!

Train: I love how everything is connected in this drama. Simple and insignificant things that were mentioned in ep 2 are gaining meaning as we progress and it’s nice to see. That reveal this week was both expected and unexpected, but it was well done and I’m very interested to see how the finale plays out.

Hospital Playlist: I’ve only seen 1 ep because I used it as a break from FoS (I needed it after ep 14) and it was sooooo good. Definitely understand the hype and I’m excited to continue it. I laughed so much during the first ep, but then I also cried because of the hospital scenes. These emotions balance each other out so well and the friendship between the doctors just tie everything together beautifully. Is it too early for me to say I love it??

Flower Boy Next Door: I started watching this for similar reasons as HP, but as more of a break from the thriller/crime I was getting from both FoE and FoS. It’s such a cute drama and seeing this side of YSY is jarring compared to him in Train. I mean, it’s not the best written drama out there but it’s fun to watch on the side. Enrique is a hoot no matter what though.

Yay! Glad you liked the first episode of Hospital Playlist! I find that this drama really isn't one you need to binge because every episode feels so complete and takes you on a journey. You get a good few chuckles, and then you find yourself crying at sad patient stories, before feeling a sense of comfort and warmth from the 99ers friendship~~ Every episode only gets better from here, so I hope you enjoy it!

I've been seeing posts all over the fan wall about the show and I thought it was time for me to give it a shot! Each episode is very well done in its execution and I love the stories that each ep presents. I'm so excited to continue!!

Flower boy next door was a good drama for me. Not excellent, but good enough.
Enrique is absolutely adorable.
I dislike part of the drama where they drag too much certain sub-plot, but the whole idea of healing from anxieties that keeps you looked inside your apartment... I really like that.
Also it is a drama with no rich chaebols, crazy exes, diabolical mothers, crimes or detectives, lawyers or politicians.... it is simply about normal people with inner conflicts or ambitions. And I loved it for that.
Usually I don't like too much Park Shin hye, but she did a very good job in this one.
So, I recommend you keep watching.
It is all together a feel-good drama.

The part about it being about normal people is what makes me enjoy it the most! It's nice to have a simple story like this every once and a while.

Recently, I feel a certain k-drama fatigue, not many shows seem compelling enough to stick with them to the end. TRAIN is one exception, consistently entertaining and well paced (12 episodes should be the new normal for many dramas!), it even made me overcome my general aversion to Yoon Shi Yoon. Should I watch Psychopath's Dairy as well?
Flower of Evil still has me hoping, but the pacing is somewhat off.
To lighten things up, I have began watching Love of Sandstorm, a little whirlwind of raunchy craziness from Taiwan.

Pyschopath Diary is incredibly entertaining! It takes a little bit to get into because the switch in mindset can feel abrupt but it's hilarious and you should give it a try!

i dont love his acting but nokdu flower is good if u havent seen it!

It’s Okay to Not Be Okay: The finale was nice. I have plenty of criticisms for this drama (The mom plot was ridiculous), but Sang Tae was the heart of this show for me, and I was happy with his journey. Oh Jung-se is so talented. I’m a new fan of SYJ too.

United Effort to Accomplish One Thing/Chip-In: The family finally came together in a united effort to accomplish one thing lol. I was rather hoping for a darker ending, but it was a good show. More 8 episode dramas, please.

Into the Ring/Memorials: Se-ra might be a little crazy but she’s a good girlfriend. Her parents might be a little crazy, but they are good people. Gong-Myung broke my heart when he said he’d miss saying “I’m home.” Chairman Cho sucks so much for choosing politics over his family. I hope in the last two episodes he finally puts his son first.

Flower of Evil: I didn’t expect Ji Won to know so soon. I find this drama compelling even though the storyline is fairly predictable. I’m a sucker for melodrama, and I do like seeing that Hyun Soo actually cares for his wife even if he doesn’t realize it which makes it more compelling to see Ji Won at war with herself.

The Good Detective: Aww, Oh Ji Hyuk confessed. I enjoyed Yoon Soon Mi getting some karma. The Chief Editor’s machinations behind the scenes regarding Lee Dae Chul’s execution are starting to make sense.

Train: I liked the twist at the end of Episode 12. I hope Do Won gets to World A and pieces everything together and comes back to World B with the evidence. This has been a tightly written drama and Yoon Shi Yoon has finally impressed me as an actor.

Graceful Friends: The ending of Episode 12 with the four friends at the ocean was good, but I really dislike Jae Hoon and don’t consider him any kind of friend. What happened in Episode 13 was not unexpected but blech.

How Do You Play: I’m sad the Ssak3 project is coming to an end. It's been my happy pill the last couple months.

Men are men. I keep watching for Yoon Hyun Min while my eyes roll at all the inconsistencies: crazy CEO in love with past self of ML that wants her daughter to marry him because she’s still in love (how sick is this?), 2ML who doesn’t understand that FL only sees him as her little brother (how creepy is this after 12 episodes and innumerable unrequited confessions?), ML that plots with a doctor how to treat a patient and gives her false memories (how deflective is that?), nonsense plot lines that had nothing to do with the story (a woman with to boyfriends, another one divorced-not divorced, parents that are a nice comic relief but add nothing to the story). Yet there are some things that keep me watching: I really like Han Sen Joo and I find her attempts to lead a normal life really sweet, as when she asks for advice in her SNS as she doesn’t have a friend, it was particularly heartbreaking when she realized how little consideration Do Gyeom has for her. Also Young Eun and her early menopause issues. I mainly go through this big noble idiocy by FF.

The Good Detective.How I wish this show was recapped, because I would really appreciate some help with all the politics, but even so, I’m having really fun. It bothers me how many people that were involved in the cover up and thus in Lee Dae Chul execution are so easily forgived. I mean: Superintendent Moon, Sang Mi, Seo Kyung… they all could have done something, did nothing and even so no one is angry at them. Detective Kang keeps saying he understands… it made me angry at first, but then I realized that’s what happens: people look aside because “What can I do to make a difference? Am I going to risk everything I have for anyone else?”, we all do that, but in this case it was a life that was taken. I think the show is doing this on purpose, to make us think about it.

Memorials.I don’t know what else to say but I love our OTP, I love their interactions, I love how they are growing together and how sweet their love is. Episode 14 made me cry from the very beginning with Chairman Jo sadly saying his younger son would have taken after him and how he loved banana milk, to GM telling SeRa how good it feels to be welcomed when you arrive home and the helmet lady talking care of the memorial.

Flower of Evil. I’ve only watched episode 5 because Viki is (again) late with subs. I’m quite hooked to the story. So JiWon knew from the beginning of their relation that HS was not normal and didn’t care and build a lie together (in her own words). Interesting. I also want to see the reunion of the siblings and HaeSoo and MoonJin.

It’s Okay not to be Okay finished and I liked it a lot. It was a beautiful ending. I can’t say I loved it, because the whole "Nurse Park/ I’m your mother” partially ruined it for me, those three episodes spent on her were wasted to me. But I consider it a very nice drama and I would recommend without doubt.

I finished my rewatch of...

I too am watching for Yoon Hyun Min as well. I like him a lot as an actor. He is also quite attractive and has such a mellow and tender voice. Hwang Jung Eum is also good too, I actually think they have chemistry not the steamy kind but a cute awkward one. Their kiss scenes in Ep 9, 10, and 11 were nice and no pecks either. That being said, I feel the past lives montages/scenes/epilogues are the more interesting/better aspects of this show. Hope it at least sticks the ending!!...

I watched United Effort.../Chip-In's final two episodes. It was my overall rating for the series: 6/10. Good casting but nice storylines mixed with bigger fun than ever.

Graceful Friends: I love this week's episodes because of so many elegant dinner scenes with colorful but great costume designs for all of them.

IOTNBO: I watched the greatest finale episode because I was happy to see their unknown and unforeseen good future.

Men Are Men: This week's episodes are totally OK but too-good-to-be-nice storylines. A little bit of comedy maybe.

I was a little bit disappointed at The Good Detective. I felt the writers had tried to struggle these characters' survival until the end, but still try and try again so long.

Flower of Evil: This week's episodes are my best episodes for continuing editing-cinematographic forces and its music too.

Its Okay To Not Be Okay: I loved the show a lot and I will graciously forgive it for thr meandering towards the end.
Memorials: I love our OTP, I love Se Ra's parents and I love that this show seems to involve our character's pasts in non-cliched way.
Before We Get Married: Binge watched this drama this week and I loved it. It had its flaws but they can easily be overlooked because it packed a lot of character growth. Also Jasper Liu is my new celebrity crush. I love him to the ends of the earth. I wish he did more mature and dramatic roles like this.
Go Ahead: This drama is amazing. I've only watched four episodes but I've cried my eyes out and laughed my lungs. It's honestly very good. Our story seems to be very character driven and I'm here for it. Also a major shout out to Steven Shang. I loved him in Skate Into Love, didn't watch Symphony's Romance and am loving him here. He's a good actor who seems to be choosing is projects well. Also I can't figure Song Weilong's face out. It's not bad but I can't seem to figure out hos features.

It's Okay... I thought this ended well. I could watch campervan montages for another hour. Super sweet and glad they worked in one more steamy kiss! These two had chemistry off the charts!
Extracurricular: Wow! I know everyone said this one was well done, tight story, excellent acting but the subject matter made me wait until my kids went back to school so that I could watch it without traumatizing them. So so good. Dark but excellent. I disliked so many of the characters (Min-hee! Am I right?) and yet still felt invested in their lives.
Flower of Evil: Because I'd already given in to my darkside, I thought I would press play on this one. I'd been waiting for several episodes to stack up since the week to week wait on thrillers can kill you. It's so good! I think I made a mistake, though, because those first 6 episodes went by too quickly and I am already anxious for Wednesday. Lee Joon-gi is killing it! But not literally. Ha! I've never watched him before and now I think I need to watch some of his older dramas.
Skate into Love: I saw a cute clip on YouTube and then next thing I know, I'm binge watching this piece of Olympic propaganda fluff. It's actually really cute and the OTP are fantastic together. They have lots of issues but seem to actually talk through their feelings and misunderstandings more than the usual c-drama couple. They have real kisses, too! I even liked most of the side characters.
Stranger 2 I haven't seen it yet, but I am counting the hours until I can watch it tonight!!!!

Please watch the time between dog and wolf. It's the best of his previous work for me (in terms of the actual plot)

I finished my rewatch of Stranger and I loved it. I knew what was going to happen and yet I was eager to know, shocked to learn, angry, sad, heartbroken… and that last scene? I declare Hwang Shi Mok smile the medicine I need!!! Only a few hours to watch first episode of S2.

Healer I’m liking it, but I’m afraid I’m not an enthusiast as so many beanies. Surprisingly the second half is much better than the first part. I’m on episode 16 now, and as expected I love Kim Mi Hyun and Park Min Young, but to me, the rest of the characters are mostly overacted (specially Yoo Ji Tae). It’s a nice watch, that’s for sure, and I’m having lots of fun.

I'm the exact opposite lol. I loved Healer. I liked Stranger but was not as enthusiastic as so many beanies. I'm feeling a little lonely right now with all of the Stranger excitement.

Don't worry. I am not excited for Stranger 2 either. Just finished 3 episode in season 1 😅😅😅. I guess that I need to push play button again 🙈.

And just into Ep 10 of MLFAS (o God, why haven't anyone tells me it is more than 16 eps? 😭😭😭😭😭). I am dragging myself to finish it and get the hype that everyone talking about (perhaps I was tooooooooo late then 😌).

@eazal I had a lot of the same thoughts about Healer! Maybe it's a case of over inflated expectations, but I thought it was good but not exceptional. I like it any time Kim Mi Hyun is on my screen and I can appreciate JCW, but it definitely wasn't a top 10 watch for me. It can sometimes feel like it's not safe to be anything other than a rabid fan for this one! We need a secret "Healer was just okay" handshake so that we can form support groups.

Nah I loved Healer. But it's okay to find it just okay. I too have found dramas that were okay/good but didn't love as others did. Like i did with Chicago typewriter, Itaewon class, Goblin, even Someday one day.

It's okay to not love it. I wonder if I would love it so much if I was watching it for the first time now. I was new to k-dramas when I watched it and hadn't found DB yet. I view k-dramas through different lens now.

It happens a lot... First dramas you watch have something special always, but if you try a rewatch, after watching others... well, you still like them but...

this is city hunter for me. god i LOVED that show i have seen it like 4 times (but forgot about ljy???? i know....)
i know for a fact i wouldn't like it now lmao

tbh i couldn't get through it lol. there's some shows that are popular we just dont mesh with!

I’m on ep 16 of HEALER too! I’m the same, not as ecstatic about it as the Beanies were back then. I do like this OTP though. They’re adorable!

PMY always makes her partner shine!

There seems to be a lot of hype for Stranger :o
The only kdrama thriller I've watched is Signal and to this day it's still in my top 5 favourite shows. How does it compare with Stranger? Seems like I'll be picking it up very soon seeing beanies excitement for the next season!

I really liked Signal too, but for me Signal was excellent yet familiar because I had seen something similar before. Stranger on the other hand was perfect from start to finish. Nothing on the show is done as filler or a throwaway, everything is important.

Ooooh I'm really intrigued now! I know what I'll be watching tonight haha

i only have one (1) complaint that will stick in my mind forever abt the show but very strong agree

i don't think they are exactly comparable but i love stranger way more. they have very different approaches to the cases and very different ways of acting. i think signal's story is so beautifully written like the way it is presented is really cool with all the reveals but, for me, stranger is way more poignant.

i also hate the fact that signal's plot was about a serial killer who enacted sexual violence and that one of the victims was the love of his life. like extremely disliked it so it's prevented me from watching it again even though it's fascinating.

stranger is just way more....internal. idk how to explain. it's way less emotional than signal and just overall less like...bright. there's some times in signal where it's like a relief but stranger is mostly a melancholy tone. but there's something about it. it's way more political and a bit hard to follow in the first run but it is definitely a true political thriller.

i would say to watch it but tamper your expectations. that's the issue with word of mouth; it's helpful but also can mess with people's heads. it's hard to go into something either neutral or be excited and meeting that excitement. i kind of think that's a huge issue for us in terms of reception and marketing but let me CHILl.

both show that they had really capable teams working on it though. and most people who love signal (me included!) end up loving it.

should add that even though the plot for signal had a negative affect on me in the context of the world until i watched stranger i genuinely thought it was an honestly one of the best shows i had seen period. it's still up there but then i saw stranger and phew...lol

Watched the first episode last night and I can definitely say that I enjoyed it a lot. Like you said, I can already feel the difference in tone between the two. I'm still going to keep my expectations low for now while I continue watching~ don't want to be disappointed haha

yes!!! please update us on yr progress!! happy watching >:)

I loved both Signal and Stranger. Both are excellent, but hands down Stranger is one of my favorite shows ever. I think they share a lot in common, fantastic acting, good cast chemistry, above average writing, good production values... I think you might really like Stranger.

It's Ok To Not Be Ok - done. I tuned out of the mother story line though. Glad that there's no noble separation whatsoever. I'm gonna miss Sang Tae hyung word of wisdom and Mun Yeong's amazing wardrobe. And I will always, always love you Kim Soo Hyun.

Was It Love? - When I take a step back from this drama, I realized that there's nothing much to it, except for who's the daddy drama and the old misunderstanding. Despite all that, I am still watching this and loving every moment of it.

To All The Guys Who Loved Me - loving this and the one drama that I watched as soon as it became available. A love story spanning 4 lifetimes. I want her to end up with Ji Woo, although Do Gyum is also amazing and hard to resist. It's obvious where her heart is though so, I'm not worried.

Go Go Squid - I literally spent an entire week binge-watching this and I love it, love it, love it. Such a sweet and fun drama. Li Xian is my new love. Haha.

Ashes of Love - and since I was still on Chinese dramas high, I tried to rewatch this where I left it off a year ago, and so far I am making progress. I'm more than halfway through and I hope I am able to complete watching it this time around.

Oh I'm so happy that I am not the only one who loves WAS IT LOVE? I truly am enjoying it. I think I really understand Dae-Oh's behavior and can anticipate it. He really is a good person and wants so much for attention and for certain people to care about him. He tries really hard to treat people honestly but struggles with his emotions getting the best of him and coloring that honesty. I feel sad that so many people hate this show.

I agree. Dae Oh is a good person, who’s just frustrated about all the misunderstanding and wanting to make things right, even if he’s 14 years late.

Currently Airing

FLOWER OF EVIL: Quite enjoyed the premiere. Will attempt to catch up. (ep. 1)

The best thing I watched this week is “Reconstruction”, a Henry Louis Gates documentary on American PBS. It covers a part of history that I had been taught pretty much zip about. It has 4 one hour episodes, I can’t recommend it highly enough.

I loved IOTNBO and all their performances, the books and how beautiful their world was. I’m editing out the mother part from my mind *shakes head*. Most days lately, I totally want to go live at OK Psychiatric Hospital 😁

I would totally make a vacation on the Ok Hospital, that scenery looks really soothing, and the dance routine (around ep 3? can't remember) was adorable

I love Henry Louis Gates. He is one of my heroes.

amazing documentary. PBS has some really amazing ones particularly with black history. i think they commissioned the ken burns' on slavery (though i don't think that one is comprehensive enough for me.) their doc on the black panther party is good too. pretty incredible we didn't learn any of this shit.

I remember a collection of Black Panther poetry... Just looked up some Malcolm X quotes. This one is good: "When I was born, I was black. When I grow up, I'm black. When I'm ill, When I die, I'm black. But you - When you're born, you're pink. When you grow up, you're white. When you're ill, you're green. When you go out in the sun, you go red. When you're cold, you go blue. When you die, you're purple. And you have the nerve to call me Colored?"

oooh i didnt even know there was a poetry collection!!! omfg i'll have to look it up.

it really is amazing and for a really smart fascinating revolutionary dude. this hits so hard especially rn...have u seen the documentary on netflix abt his assassination ? i should be reading stuff but my attn span is so bad so i might peep that

also jfyi for you and @bbstl PBS also co-produced this docuseries on apartheid called "have you heard from johannesburg" it's a bit hard to fine but you can rent it on vimeo. the quote just reminded me of that. i haven't gotten past ep 2 tho bc it kills me

i have been rereading this often

speech by fred hampton https://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/fhamptonspeech.html

Fred Hampton is talking about the power of applied learning. The Black Power movement gave inspiration to Indigenous Australians in the 60s and 70s. I've been to Robben Island where Nelson Mandela had been in prison. Ex-political prisoners were taking tours and telling of their experiences. The one I heard told how, when he arrived, he was sick and terrified, but they told him, "You're safe now. Learn as much as you can here." So he went and learned about Bantu people and learned their language. Other prisoners learned to read Marx. This gave people a sense of belonging to each other. Out of this grew the movement that ended apartheid in South Africa and set up the peace and reconciliation commission. I also went to the anti-apartheid museum in Jo'burg. They had armoured vehicles with tvs inside playing authentic film of the faces of people in protests outside. It made me understand the paranoia of the regime. What's happening now should be powered and energised by what happened in the past. Hope you get your reading done. 😊😊😊

i have heard about the BP movement in australia! i want to learn more! i know some have african ancestry but many don't but are still referred to as black or call themselves that. i only found this out a couple of months ago from reading this https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/2017/10/17/we-just-black-matter-australias-indifference-aboriginal-lives-and-land

that's awesome about where you have been. i want to go there now lol. when i went to hawaii the history was the most amazing part (and obviously it is deeply sad but)

and what's happening now is pretty much the onlyl thing that keeps me going and a bit optimistic. it's grim but they are terrified in evry sense, all over the world, and the power of the people is real.

there's a vid of hampton talking about the power of education and the oppressor and papa doc (haiti) very interesting. i can't read anything so i doubt i will but i wish i could lmao the first on my list would be "are prisons obsolete?" and my bro recently finished the jakarta method ;; ty for telling me this!!

also do you know of george jackson? he co founded the sort of resurgence of the BPP. i work with like an offshoot of it and the cofounder of the group is an IWOC member and currently a political prisoner.

jackson's story is deep and sad but inspiring (book called Soledad Brothers) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soledad_Brothers

all power anywhere there is people!

@amara I've got heaps of links for you if you want to know more about Indigenous Australian activism. Chelsea Bond is a lecturer where I tutor. She is the person I was thinking of referring you to for the most articulate expression of the Indigenous voice in Australia. What she says here is absolutely central:
“Blackfullas are not seeking a revitalised citizenship that recognises our dignity and humanity – we are insisting upon our sovereignty as First Nations peoples.
We refuse to talk about our lives independently of our land. We remind them every day that we are still here in this place – and it is their presence on our lands that poses the real problem, not our lives.”
The experience of Indigenous Australians is more like the experience of the First Nations people of the US and Canada.
Here’s some background on Indigenous activism in the 70s. This is focused on the Tent Embassy that was set up outside the Australian Parliament
The activism of the 60s and 70s is iconic and best shows up in the freedom rides (inspired by the US freedom rides)
Video: https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/630887491956/the-freedom-rides (short version)
https://youtu.be/JS3YJN3WED4 Indigenous told version on Living Black
Indigenous curated exhibition: https://aiatsis.gov.au/exhibitions/1965-freedom-ride

Deaths in Custody
As Chelsa Bond writes in the article you gave me the link to, this is an ongoing issue. Indigenous people are disproportionately imprisoned and die in prison. This is a newspaper article that makes the connection to #BlackLivesMatter with all the stats.
The Uluru Statement from the Heart: where Indigenous people are today – what they ask for
We now have a treaty in one of the States of Australia and Queensland just announced that they are going to begin the process in my State. This will be momentous. https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/queensland/queensland-s-path-to-indigenous-treaty-begins-20191017-p531ke.html
The creative cultural production of Australian Indigenous people in Australia is the heart of creativity in Australia, in music, films, literature and art.

Stolen Generations and Generational Trauma
You have to listen to these two videos. They make me cry everytime.
Archie Roach “Took the Children Away” (he was one of the stolen generation)
Jamie Briggs “The Children Came Back” (if you have trouble seeing this let me know and I’ll try another link)
It begins with a little girl who is running like Olympic runner Cathy Freeman who won a gold medal for the 400m at the 2002 Sydney Olympics.

Film:
Bran Nue Dae
This is about Jimmy...

@amara sorry for the cut off.

Film:
Bran Nue Dae
This is about Jimmy Chi who created the musical: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-27/brand-nu-dae-playwright-jimmy-chi-dies-age-69/8654418
It’s full of wicked parody and irony https://youtu.be/RnGRdaX594k

Samson and Delilah by Warwick Thornton:

Warwick Thornton’s films

Art (so much, here's just one artist):
Vernon Ah Kee

Portrait of My Father: https://www.cairnsartgallery.com.au/whats-on/exhibitions/portrait-of-my-father-vernon-ah-kee

Unwritten Series: https://youtu.be/ZIyim0D4OXQ

First real acknowledgement of our black history
Prime Minister’s Redfern address 1992
If you listen carefully, you hear the audience suddenly stop talking and in silence listen to something no one had ever officially acknowledged before.

National apology to the stolen generations (many of the women in the audience had been taken away from their families as part of Australia’s assimilation policy)
https://youtu.be/_Dild-xAzJ0 The Prime Minister’s apology

Full disclosure. I am non-Indigenous, but I have the unique privilege of teaching in this area, something I have longed to do all my academic career. I did my Master’s in this area, on the politics of speaking to, for, and about Indigenous people. That’s how I got to know Henry Louis Gates’s work.

thank you SO SO SO SO SO SO MUCH YOU'RE AMAZING

and that's awesome. not all people who know a lot or do the work are going to be of the place but it's clear you know a lot and have incredible respect. i honor scholars that may not know firsthand but take time on it.

i have seen samson and delilah and i didn't like it but i may have to watch it again. i had such a hard time with the material bc it was so traumatic but i know the director is indigenous and i am not so the position i'm in is only as a black american (female) observer. tbh idk if i can watch it again but it's good that i will always remember it.

lol you don't have to answer but have you seen any critique on Australia (film) bc i imagine........that people were like no no no no (also idk if you have seen top of the lake but it's lightly touched upon~~)...and i just recently read this thing about chris lilley and one of the kids jonah t. was based on and how he felt..

anyway thank you so much im s aving all of these and i seriously appreciate it. i want to learn so much more. i'm interested in mixed descendants of africa historically and then the black power term used for the non-mixed peoples. it's fascinating. i knew NOTHING about this until around last year

amazing about chelsea bond! and recently idk if you heard but on may 25th, the murder of george floyd and like 4 other black human beings that day, a black-indigenous woman was thrown off her building by the police (i'm not sure from what tribe perhaps the nation that is protesting the most rn...)

it's going to take me a while to get through these but 1. i need to learn (i am from the US and we are on lenape land which is another heavily mixed tribe. in my state they tried to take away tribehood from a bunch of people who are living on their land and they succeeded until 2018 this meant like....not being able to ID as 'native american' on the census, getting breaks or being able ot receive money, etc. it's something most of us do not know or didn't know) 2. i love history 3. i should know !!! solidarity forever :) as i go along ill tag you on my thoughts!

sorry i mention the woman because she was in toronto and there's been a ton of wetsuwet nation protests and there was one for BLM + the nation in her honor (i think) that made the news

It's so good to talk to you about this. Samson and Delilah is bleak and confronting. Probably not a good film to watch if you are going through a hard time.
Here's a couple of reviews:

I don't want to give you the wrong impression. It's not all bleak, Indigenous Australians are brilliantly alive and creative, especially the younger generation. They are leading the way creatively in Australia.

I didn't watch much of Top of the Lake. I just hated the thought of it. And it seemed to be a bit salacious too. I don't like Gerard Lee all that much. There are no degrees of separation in Australia. His mother went to school with my mother, and his ex-wife taught in the same department as me.

I didn't hear of the death in Canada. It happens too often.

You might like Medicine River by Thomas King and any of Louise Erdrich's work. Both native American first nations writers.

As Chelsea Bond says, Indigenous people in Australia want their sovereignty acknowledged.

This is the prison scene, Listen to the News, from Bran Nue Dae, and it is my absolute overwhelming favourite because while it is about fear and death, it's about Aboriginal spirituality and its roots in traditional Aboriginality. It's powerful. https://youtu.be/xB6Ay9BBFLg

I'd love to be tagged. Thank you.

yea there's some things that are hard for me to confront. i have images of the film stuck in my head. when they get addicted to huffing—something i didnt know was prominent—when she is abused repeatedly, and when they are under the bridge. it isn't a boring film although a sincere lack of dialogue (intentional, i now) but yea. i remember where i was when i watched it and the discussion we had after (film school, one out of 5 black people in the whole school, mostly everyone was rich and non-black, certainly non indigenous, talking about this in the fucking UK in a small theater lmao. i think i tuned out for half of it but i am positive that some dumb things were said and even though i was sincerely traumatized i know i had to remind people it wasn't about them but a whole group of people we know nothing about. ironically australia + the commonwealth....colonization prevails)

i have read the guardian review!!! i will read them again. "sadly timeless" is right. kills me.

i am also going to look up what it is to be black as in of african ancestry and not mixed in australia as well. this has, again, made me super curious to learn about the distinctions and also why that term is used and the american and non american contexts. the chelsea bond article was part of an anthology about BLM and its importance and that's super fascinating to me. i need to brush up on my understanding of 'black' globally, anti blackness, and indigenous populations

i really liked the song you linked. and you're right. this is so easy for me as a black american to understand and relate to so i can see why BPP wsa so influential.

the chains part was hard. it's a beautiful beautiful song. the sad part is though that....my dad is nigerian and their imagery and dress reminds me of some of what we do in our tribes. some of our designs are sort of similar (the dots, i forgot wat we call them in igbo but yea.) i'm half american, half igbo and all i can think of is how much colonization ripped from all of us. the forced subjugation. so while we can relate it's very hard to see.

you're not giving me the wrong impression. it's easy to focus on the trauma. a scholar recently had a webinar (post may 25) and she said something like "we start revolutions solely based on the trauma black people face, but that's not the only thing we are" what's stopping people from caring outside of trauma? acknowledging pain but understanding pain of oppressed peoples isn't our definition. there's a lot of joy in survival (although frankly it is hard for me to accept.)

plus joy in learning about cultures and practices. art and music. words etc. i went to some museums in hawaii and i was so sad but happy to see preservation of work. learning about the torres strait and just how much indigenous people of lands existed had contributed to finding new land. the beautiful dresses and stuff i saw....the things people create even in their worst times

chelsea bond article found in this tag btw https://theconversation.com/au/topics/black-lives-matter-everywhere-44608

re: top of the lake. so obviously jane campion is a white australian woman. i didn't now about the screenwriter but i looked him up and oh gee. lmao.

god for a place so fucking huge there really isnt. what a small world LOL

i don't think it focuses on their troubles enough. there is a tragic event and the main girl is either mixed asian indigenous or just an asian adoptee and her and her friends are all either non-white or indigenous. it's kind of necessary for them to be so, i guess, bc it's about the subjugation of others on top of being a woman but otoh it seems as if it was easy to get away with because of who they were. i wont spoil it (?) but it's an insanely fucking HORRIBLE thing that happens and i still dont know what to do with it. in the end i think the teenagers were more understood but although i wouldn't call it trauma porn i would say it was a lot more willing to be explicit than i like. plus putting actors in a situation where i don't really find acceptable as minors. but i don't know. i will never watch it again. it's a beautiful piece of work but i believe you have a point indeed.

i hope they will. i don't know what happens in the future. i dont have much hope these days but. also if u ha vent heard of this dude u may like him https://www.youtube.com/c/BadEmpanada/videos

So interesting that you saw Samson and Delilah in the UK. I can't watch films now of women being abused, beaten and raped. It's an assault on every woman. I've never been to a remote community, although I've been to Cherbourg which is the closest one to me. Many Indigenous people were transported there from their ancestral grounds and lumped together.

I lived and worked in the UK for several years. I came to realise that they just don't get colonisation and its ongoing effects. Settler Australians don't know much either, although we are seeing more Indigenous representation and cultural production now. Rachel Perkins makes beautiful films. See the list here:
You'd like Tracey Moffart's work too. She is an artist and film maker. Nice Coloured Girls is brilliant. It gets the subversive power of young Indigenous women in the context of colonisation and right through to the present.

This is a link to Nice Coloured Girls https://vimeo.com/201245792
Indigenous women are very powerful voices in the public space in Australia.

Origins 60,000 years

The Australian Government has 3 criteria for determining whether a person is Indigenous. According to this definition, a person is Indigenous if they:
1. are of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent
2. identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and
3. are accepted by the Indigenous community in which he or she lives

Terms to refer to Indigenous people totally depend on what term someone uses to refer to themselves.

This gets it right:
"It’s best to find out what individuals prefer to be called, rather than making assumptions.

Today, the term ‘Indigenous Australian’ is used to encompass both Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islander people. However many Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people do not like to be referred to as ‘Indigenous’ as the term is considered too generic.

When used in Australia, the words Indigenous, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander are capitalised, as would be the name of any other group of people. It is best not to resort to the acronyms of ATSI or TSI.

Aboriginal people have referred to themselves for example as Koori, Murri or Nunga, which is relevant to the greater region they are connected to. Aboriginal identities can also directly link to their language groups and traditional country (a specific geographic location), for example, Gunditjamara people are the traditional custodians of western Victoria, the Gadigal people of the Eora nation are from Sydney, and the Yawuru people are the traditional custodians of Broome in Western Australia.

Another way Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people might describe themselves, which again relates to their country (including the waters), is ‘saltwater people’ for those who live on the coast, or ‘freshwater’, ‘rainforest’, ‘desert’ or ‘spinifex’ for people who live in that ecological environment.

Torres Strait Islander people prefer to use the name of their home Island to identify themselves to outsiders, for example a Saibai man or woman is from Saibai, or a Meriam person is from Mer. Many Torres Strait Islanders born and raised in mainland Australia still identify according to their Island homes."

yea i did my MFA in filmmaking there lol. very impulsive decision that made me in debt but whatever we only live once.

re: UK, they really dont. and it's pretty...idk what the word is....complacent? apathetic? towards the world and change. can't tell you how many times i was asked or told that being black in the UK was better for me. i was like please stop lmao. they dont like acknowledging what they have done though. and i'm sure as you realized there's so many australians (same with nigerians and canadians.)

australia is seen for us over here as like....a place that's beautiful but that we wouldnt really want to live in bc of the history and it seems like the attitudes we've been exposed to. i'm always weary..i know NZ has their own issues too but i think it's so small that the idea of it is a lot more accepting lmao. but idk what it's like there too. i love your accents :)

it's weird bc of all the things that we organized over here after may 25th and i think the UK is just trying to catch up after years of inactivity. we'll see if the broader public everywhere catches on.

you've had a very eclectic life! that's awesome!

yea that's why i dont watch crime dramas that focus on sexual violence and murder of women anymore. i can't do it. it's never treated well. in campion's case...well you find out these kids have been trafficked. the whole thing is about male dominance and how women are treated but that was very hard for me to get over esp kids w/ even less agency than their supposed peers. the main girl is pregnant (that's the plot) but she's 12 and one of her friends who is half white, half indigenous dies in the middle. theyve all been abused...

i will check them both out and i'll put brand nueu dae on my list along with jasper jones for when i get back into watching films (lol my career and yet here i sit doing nothiing)

nice coloured girls sounds FASCINATING thank you for that rec. this is a subject i am extremely interested in because of these relationships w/ white men because so many people the handful of ppl i know from australia are half asian/white (it's a big trend here too) or half indigenous/white and that kind of power dynamic is sort of foreign to me ("intermixing" in general is something that i think the US has a VERY different outlook on in comparison to the rest of the countres i know about or have seen.) this one i'm sure will be powerfull but sad. really cool all these indigenous women doing this work!!!!

Also @boughtabride if you want to try a few wonderful Australian films that are honest but maybe slightly less brutal I recommend

Rabbit Proof Fence about the Stolen Generations

The Sapphires, which has the Stolen Generations and unofficial apartheid as more of a backdrop to the story

I'd also recommend the somewhat enigmatic The Tracker, which is about racism more broadly

And from across the ditch, the Maori film Once Were Warriors

Or if you just want to watch a fun romcom that showcases our beautiful Northern Territory and the ongoing need for connection to family and country, Top End Wedding is worth a watch

woahhhh holy shit thank u for the link and your reply. the history of them being like the oldest population to migrate out. i guess that's why there's a lot of different heritages and phenotypes. i am really fascinated. also the capitalization thing....we just got the 'B' in black capitalized in most major papers here. this is pretty cool. i understand the generic issue though i can't totally get it bc we've always been classified as one group. i am going to read this https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/awaye/a-hairs-breadth-mapping-aboriginal-genetic-history/7307386 i read the conversation one and am half with the ABC one you linked.

cool about the "metaphysical" connection not that it matters bc a peoples land is a peoples land but i understand that direct relation to the soil. i'm glad this will help people trace their roots; this is something i really envy from other cultures and maybe one day my american side can figure it out too.

idk what any of these islands or tribes are but time to get looking lmao

amara, I feel like I'm overwhelming you with too much, but I just made an amazing (for me) discovery because of your interest (and commitment to black power). I didn't know that Rachel Perkins (whose father headed up the Freedom Rides) made a film called Black Panther Woman. I found this video of the making of the film about a Black Panther woman from Brisbane, which is where I come from, and it makes the direct connection with the Black Power Movement in the US and the assassination of Fred Hampton, and the Black Power movement in Australia.

This is a synopsis of the actual film
"In 1972 Marlene Cummins fell in love with the leader of the Australian Black Panther Party. With the break up of that relationship, she spiralled into a cycle of addiction that left her on the streets and vulnerable. Forty years later Marlene travels to a gathering of international Black Panthers in New York. The journey takes her back in time. Still struggling with addiction, she reveals the secrets she has held onto, to face her demons today." http://blackfellafilms.com.au/project/blackpantherwoman/
This is much more from a woman's perspective and points out the difference between white women's feminism and the issues that black women face.

you arent bombarding me at all! i made a post on my wall cos this is getting hard to keep track of so i will tag u in my response but OMG

I just realised. Good thinking.

I'm bookmarking this thread. This conversation is one of my very favorite things about the internet.

I'm back to work and in just 1 week want to go back to doing nothing. I watched only Episode 7 of Memorials and Episode 9 of Men are Men. I really wanted to catch up with Memorials in time for the finale.
Looking forward to SF8 and planning to watch United Effort to Accomplish One Thing now that its over.

Train: 5 Trying too hard to introduce too many dramatic twists and merely getting WTF-y. My opinion of this show is plummeting faster than a one-winged butterfly. It's OK to Not... Have So Many Murderers.

It's OK to Not ... Be Sad Because It's Over: 8.4 Day 15: You know, it would also be OK to skip the noble idiocy part of a show -- just once.
Day 16: Raise your hand if you liked the pull-wings-off-butterflies phase more than the happy-ever-after or-at-least moving-forward phase. Flap both wings if you --- oh, DARN**
** Translation NOT done by Netflix.

Queen In-Hyun's Man: 10.0 Re-watching, reading the recaps and adding comments that probably nobody will ever see (but feel free to prove me wrong). It's sad how few people from 2012 are still active.

Memorials / Into the Ring: 8.5

Flower of Evil: 7.0 Behind the personality issues I expect a bog-standard murder mystery.

United Effort to Accomplish One Thing / Chip In: 8.0 I really liked the first 3 weeks, but in the first half of day 7 I got really tired of the neverending circular accusation squad. Wrapped things up just barely in time. At least they knew they didn't have enough material for 16 episodes, unlike some shows.

Haha reading your comments about IOTNBO definitely gave me a laugh :) I wouldn't necessarily say I liked the pull-wings-off butterfly phase more cause dang was that dark, but I definitely enjoyed the first half of the show way more than the second. In fact, I find that's how I feel about a lot of kdramas I watch. I love how it starts but feel meh about it by the end, is this just me?

You're definitely not the only one. I have been struggling to finish so many dramas in these last few years and had developed a serious case of serial dropper. It's like the writers struggled to add the content to fit the number of episode. Honestly, there are very few dramas nowadays that kept me riveted until the end and might be the reason why I preferr shorter dramas these days.

Definitely not just you lol.

Queen In-Hyun's Man is one of my all-time favorites, I will go back and look for your comments. I loved this drama so much, I bought the boxed DVD set and I am glad I did, it is hard to find since the demise of DramaFever.

*raises hand...*
I still kinda want the R rated tragic and traditional fairy tale AU of this drama... 👀

I was looking for Queen In-hyun but can’t find it on legit sites anymore :(

i got to ep 6 of train or maybe 8 idk and i was like i cannot do this anymore. i put it on as a filler anyway but it was too much for me lol i sort of feel this way about watcher but watcher had way more style imo

Hi everyone!
Before I get into what I watched this week, I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for all being so welcoming last week :) I was somewhat nervous posting a comment for the first time but honestly I really had no reason to be because all of you were just really kind, so thank you :D

Currently watching:
It's Okay to Not Be Okay - what a journey it has been following our trio on their road to healing. Sure enough the drama had its ups and downs, but instead of delving into its flaws, I think IOTNBO is already an amazing drama for what it is. The cinematography, the acting, the fairy tales and our characters' growth, it was overall still a very much enjoyable watch on my end. Thank you to all the cast and crew for bringing such a beautiful drama into our lives :)

My Unfamiliar Family - ❤ I have so much love for this show that I can't get myself to watch the last two episodes. I'm not ready to say goodbye to our family, and even more so to Eunhee and Chanhyuk, the two characters that I've grown to love and adore greatly. I already know I'm going to get major post drama depression from finishing this show '^'

Hospital Playlist Throwback - Shin Hyun Bin was absolutely glowing in this week's HP clip! I'm so glad the director decided to release BTS footage. You can really see how much effort was put into every little detail of this show and it only makes me appreciate HP that much more. Already looking forward to next week's throwback video! (Hoping it's Chu Min Ha aka Ahn Eun Jin!!!) Also, if anyone's interested, here's the link to a quiz that ranks your favourite characters from HP: https://rnchuu.tumblr.com/hpsorter ^^ (my top 5 were Jeong Won, Uju hehe, Ik Jun, Seong Hwa and Gyeoul ♡)

Anyways, that's all from this week~~

Forgot to mention, hope you all have a lovely week!

Welcome! Glad you survived last week and persevered, our resident troll was more trollish than usual last week but everyone's got a seat at the table here.

"our resident troll" 😂 Skelly, you just made me go look for last week's WWW just to double-check. Yup. Anyway, our Beanie community feels a bit like family to me - there's always that pesky uncle that gets on your nerves, but you got to love them as they are 💚💚💚

This! ❤️🤣

That's actually a really nice way of looking at it, I already have lots of love for this Beanie community <3

😂 I’m gonna call him Uncle T from now on.

Haha thank you~ I had a feeling something was up last week reading those comments :o

I had tried picking up the series 'Men Are Men' after abandoning it a couple weeks back but wow, these characters are soooo creepy and unlikable!

I ran myself out of available episodes of the weekend drama 'Once Again'. While watching (80 episodes) I couldn't come up with a justification to recommend it. Now that I have to wait for new episodes I find I miss the show. So there must be something there to bribng me back.

Creepy and unlikable. You are so right about Men are Men. And yet I keep watching!

ONCE AGAIN is a decent weekender.

Work is keeping me pretty busy so my drama watching time is severely limited lately.
I finished It's Okay To Not Be Okay and liked it a lot, it is definitely my favorite so far this year and already on my re-watch list. Like everyone else I was least happy with the Return of Big Bad Mommy but I thought there was as much-or more-issue with the acting than the writing. There was some major scenery-chewing there, I sortof expected Mommy to whip out a hanger and say "No... wire...hangers...EVAR!!!" But fairy tales are often over-the-top, so I forgive it perhaps more readily than some.
Other than that I am watching I-Land with my daughter (we have our list of who we think will make the finale) and also a nostalgic re-watch of Shut Up Flower Boy Band, the best of the flower boy dramas and one that has held up surprisingly well, although we had a huge laugh when everyone was blown away by 50,000 online views, which is nothing for a popular vid these days. And Sung Joon and Jo Boa - who would have thought your first drama was your best?

And one more thing:
I gave Lonely Enough to Love a try, and like MissVictrix was seriously underwhelmed...and I was also shocked, once again, by Ji Hyun Woo - what does he keep doing to himself? I understood when he fixed his teeth (although the smile was already charming), but since then it's been non-stop: the eyes, the chin - now the cheeks? I barely recognize him from Queen In-Hyun's Man days. Please, just stop.

I haven't watched Lonely Enough, but even at the risk of being accused of "spamming" I've got to say - REALLY?! Thanks to your comment I went and had a look at one of the trailers. He does look different, and a bit weird, but might it be because of that ghastly frizzy hairdo that has inexplicably become so popular in Korea? It doesn't help that I've only seen him with very short hair, in Awl and Angry Mom.

He is another actor who was a recognizable name in the mid 00s and late 00s. I checked out AsianViki, and he's had a good amount of leading roles with actresses that have popped out now. It's always surprisedly seeing actors like "Where have they been" and they're still acting albeit not in big/talked about shows. He kinda looks the same to me, he looks older/less youthful/fresh lol.

@skelly Kinda glad I'm not the only one that had trouble finding the Kim Boong-do (I thought I was going crazy)

Re-watched Stranger / Forest of Secrets Season 1 for obvious reasons (and I think Season 2 has just premiered earlier this evening). Tbh I've always found Hwang Shi-mok a bit of a cliche. I understand why it was necessary to choose someone like him to navigate that very tangled web of corruption, and I love Cho Seung-woo in the role, but did Shi-mok really have to have that typical "cold, isolated guy opens his heart a bit" arc? Especially when many of the other characters were so much more interesting? I'd love more backstory for Han Yeo-jin. Lee Chang-joon is one of those fictional creations that get more and more fascinating the more you find out about them. To this day I'm still wondering how he'd met his wife socially (NOT in the courtroom) and what he'd had to give up to marry her (NOT the kind of stuff that's usually given up). Young Eun-soo is another rare kind of character IMO: she does a lot of annoying things, but you can totally see why she does them. Her background is pretty interesting too - a daughter conceived relatively late in the life of a highly respected intellectual and politician, and whose own life unfortunately coincides more with the period of her father's disgrace and downfall. Anyway, looking forward to Season 2!

he doesn't really open his heart so much as he has to stop suppressing a lot of stuff for his health? i think that also hyj is one person that is persistent with him. he wasnt particularly close to the others and his way of protectionw as unconventional. i wonder what it would be like if HSM was played by a woman and i realize that it would never happen; the character wouldn't be well received (misogyny) but also i think the point was to show how much of that coldness was synonymous with his maleness. he may be different and not check out women, but many of the complaints he had with eun soo were pointed at her femininity.

i love lee changjun a lot. i wish we knew more about how he met yeon jae. i wonder how he got the approval of chairman lee. though im guessing they clashed for a while. fascinating anti hero.

as far as eun soo....she is so reckless, flighty, sometimes really dumb and annoying, but ultimately one of my favorite female characters. i loved how eventually people realized that she needed protection from herself not because she wasn't capable or bc she was a woman. she had so much to prove and imo proved it. her tenacity was fascinating but her will to clear her dad's name and to get what was right i fell in love with. the time she confronts seo dong jae is the turning point i had for her and i was like "this bitch is insane and irritating and i love it." as confined as she was she marched to the beat of her own drum or tried her hardest to