Open Thread #672

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

hi beanies! hope y'all are doing well.
my drama break was partially successful? i didn't start any new shows this past week and i couldn't even watch anything of flower of evil (i'm still super behind) bc the server i was using to watch eps gave my computer a bug, so i have to wait for episodes to upload on viki. however, my days were very dull without any dramas, so i ended up watching clips of running man on youtube. this is a good compromise because i don't have to invest in hour long episodes. i was more productive with my summer assignments, but i don't know if this is bc of less dramas or because i work better under pressure.

school starts tuesday and i have really mixed feelings. i haven't really enjoyed high school as a whole, especially junior year. last year was a combination of too many AP classes, heartbreak, and failed friendships, so my academic performance and physical/mental health was really affected. because of quarantine, i got time to rest and feel better (and not see toxic people). my school is going online until thanksgiving, and i'm just nervous about how zoom classes will operate (we were just submitting stuff on google classroom earlier) and whether i'll have homework again? on the other hand, i do miss school a bit because i want to see some friends and teachers, and while i'm lucky to be with my family, i could use a break lol. i don’t have the best relationship with my parents and i’m an only child, so some days have been a bit rough. i just do not want to have a rocky start to senior year, especially because college app season has begun. i have so many ideas for my college essay, but each time i sit down to write it just sounds bad T_T. let's see what happens.

i'm also still taking the ACT in october, but it's really tiring now— i've had 2 SATS and 2 ACTs cancelled since march bc of covid, and i thought we'd be done with the pandemic by now... it's really annoying to study for weeks or months and find out 2 weeks (or days) before that the test has been cancelled. let's see what happens.

i also had a dream about coffee prince on monday. in my dream, yoon eun hye and gong yoo were making coffee in the shop and laughing, but i can't tell if i made up the dialogue in my head or if this scene is straight from the drama. do any of you dream about dramas or in korean? i've dreamed abt reply 1988, scarlet heart ryeo, running man and coffee prince now and had some of these in korean, which is slightly strange but AWESOME! (it really shows how obsessed i am with dramas lol). i think i'll see how this first week of school goes and then start watching fight for my way if i have time, but now that coffee prince dream makes me want to finish watching that show...

to anyone that's started or is starting school, good luck and fighting! and to everyone in general, hope you enjoy your weekend :)

love,
shachi

Sung, good luck to your ACT!

thanks jez ! :)

i think you will be doing good in your school. Good luck for you ACT! running man clips on youtube is my personal mood booster too. i usually dreamt about kdramas when im into it, specially fantasy-romance drama lol

thank u! honestly anytime i feel sad i just think of kwangsoo doing smth or play his theme song and i feel better

Oh my goodness, I remember junior and senior year of high school, how emotionally and mentally exhausting it all was. Now, to be experiencing all the highs and lows of it amidst a pandemic, truly chaotic. Sending you positive energy and good vibes only and hoping that you're able to get through with as few hiccups as possible. As for starting classes virtually, I'd say go in expecting for their to be blips and things going wrong. There's a chance it won't go smoothly the first couple of times, and that's okay, simply because we're all operating in a way that hasn't been done before. At least not on this level. And the teachers themselves are having to adapt to teaching and engaging young minds in an alternative way that NO ONE was prepared for. So I think if you give yourself that space and flexibility to be okay when things go a little awry it'll help significantly. Of course, this isn't to say that nothing will improve because they will. If I'm proven wrong and it all goes off without a hitch? Even better!

I myself am a writer and enjoy writing, I love it so much. One of the most important things I've learned that has helped me a lot is to not focus on how good what I'm writing is. This only applies to the first 1-2 drafts of course. As long as you've written it down, you're good. Because that truly can be the hardest part. And you can write it down in chunks and short segments, it doesn't have to be a straight line from A-Z which is the beauty of writing. After you've gotten down all your thoughts then you can come back to it as many times as needed (with breaks in between) to edit and edit and edit till it's at a point where you're satisfied. The fact that you already have so many ideas for what your essay will be is such a good starting point! You've got this!

Also, very jealous you've had Coffee Prince dreams. Kdramas have yet to visit me in my sleep and now I'm feeling cheated!

thanks for the kind words 🥺 just have to get thru this last year before college! ahhh it's so crazy i'm a senior already

school will be over and out before you know it! take it easy. All the best for everything!

I envy your dreams - not coffee prince, though - I just never remember anything from my dreams! :D

i started making a list of the dreams i've had in quarantine and it's really interesting to see which ones were abt dramas or in korean! also, what was your take on coffee prince?

haha! yes, a dream diary sounds like it will be a lot of fun! I did not like Coffee Prince, never managed to finish. Cross-dressing is anyway among my least favourite tropes, so...

interesting, i took a break after ep 5 bc i thought it was slightly boring, but a bunch of people said that the romance was really good. when i get time, i think i'll watch to about the first kiss and make a decision then if i should commit or quit

Sending you positive vibes for the ACT's and just a wonderful school year!

@sweetiepie54 @sirena thank you guys :)

@Sung Shachi I want to wish you a wonderful school year! Best of luck with all of your classes as well as your exams :)

Good luck!

Fingers and toes crossed for your ACTs! As for school, it's okay to take it one day at a time. Hang in there (and keep dreaming awesome dreams)!

aww, thank you so much! <3

update: i have been incredibly unproductive today bc i keep checking the fan wall and comments on the OT here at DB HAHAHA but it's fine, i'm never taking a break from DB, the vibes r just 2 good

All the best for a great school year! I think you can expect that there will be many glitches with online schooling along the way because it’s new and hard for everyone - so I guess hope for the best and don’t panic when plans go astray...we’re all in the same boat and this pandemic will be with us for a while yet!

Hey I just wanna say that you're not alone in your high school experience or your struggle with exams. I myself had a very emotionally and physically exhausting final year of school which was made worse by the fact that I had so much work that I couldn't hang out with my friends and that many of my closest friends had gone to different schools after 10th standard. It wasn't very happy but kinda passed through. Also don't fret too much about college. I've been struggling with college applications myself so I know how nerve wracking it can be

thank you for your empathy, it means a lot <3

I'd say good luck with your ACT - but you will do fine with all that studying you are doing! So I hope your first week of school is okay. Remember that all of this is new to everyone and we are all learning our new normal. Whew!

But I hope this year goes better and is brighter for you! Enjoy your long weekend before 'going' back to class next week!

thank you so much !! :)

I got a good news this week:

1. Before Start-up, Suzy got a short film by Lancome Korea:

2. Carson Allen rarely appeared on K-dramas including recent Alice.

3. Do Do Sol Sol... resumed filming.

Which part of suzy getting a movie (acting assignment, shorter so all the more tough job) is a good news :P

Is Seoul Orchestra joined it on Do You Like Brahms?

i just rewatching Life on Mars. when i watched it for the first time i focused on the cases and the murderer, but this time i focused more on the characters especially Han Taejoo. i feel like his character is so sad, he look so tired all the time and thinking 1988 is a world that he made to make him comfortable is so so so sad.

i watch Flower of Evil only this week. Hyunsoo's character is so sad too. i feel like Do Hyunsoo's character is sooo similiar to Do Kangwoo from Voice s2. psychopath dad, prejudice from people around him, couldnt feel his own feeling properly. i wish Do Hyunsoo wont end like Do Kangwoo tho

Hi Beanies!

It’s here!!! Our azzo-celebrating weekend! And if you didn’t know, she got married this week (the legal part, not the actual ceremony)! So, what better way to commemorate than to celebrate the warm fuzzies of romance! And how cute does she write? https://www.dramabeans.com/members/azzo1/activity/1123971/ Time to spam the Beanie fan wall with all your favorite “boy falls in love with girl first” shows, shows with scenes that remind you of azzo’s love story (I have a few), and music that has gotten you through this pandemic so we can compile a new Beanie playlist! Love songs will definitely be featured!

Please tag me to your selections. Azzo has said that she will stalk the Beanie wall, so let’s make it super active! (She doesn’t know why she’s stalking it—I just told her we’d make it entertaining for her!)

See you on the wall!

(my tag is @ally-le)

just tagged u in like 5 fan posts, i made a whole list of songs but didn't realize there was a character limit on the fan wall LMAOO but happy listening! give my love to the bride :)

I think the mouse/right-click copy-paste function instead of keyboard commands help circumvent fan wall character limits.

ahhh, will remember that for next time! i was so confused how other people have had super long fan posts with the character limit😅

Ahhh I chose a good day to be on DB ~

You certainly did!!!

An Aaaaahhhhhh!!!!! You’re back! Hope everyone in your family is healthy!

Haha, good to be back!! I’m in the midst of planning a gif story about life in pandemic.

I hope you and yours are safe and well!

Can’t wait to read it! Love your gif stories! @greenfields needs to write another one soon!

Hehe, I’ve been meaning to do it for a couple weeks, no closer to actually getting it written though...

I've been watching Samuel Hawley's Youtube "Imjin War" videos, covering the 1592/98 Japanese invasion of Korea. The vids are based on his book (which I read years ago) and both explain a lot about the event you may have seen in kdrama & kmovies. The vids are more accessible than the book, but the book has the advantage of not bugging you to like and subscribe. Recommended.

Nice! He explains things in a really didactic way - I also dig the quiet humour, "Hideyoshi WAS a megalomaniac", ah! Plus, the videos show super interesting historical maps and art pieces, and the intro music is just kick-ass. Thanks for sharing this!

Thanks for the link and book title~

Thank you!

Thank you for this recommendation. I'm into episode 4. Easy to watch.

Last month I watched The Untamed. It has been in my to - watch list since last year but somehow I forgot about it. Man I have been sucked into this hole that I can't get out of. I've already watched it twice, I think I'm gonna go for the third serving. I'm watching interviews, the bts and extra bits I am hooked....

I watched The Untamed last year, slightly later after the drama has finished airing all episodes but everyone was raving about it, so that's how I got interested, and since then, I went down spiralling towards The Untamed rabbit hole. Even the sound of flute made me so emotional that I always ended up rewatching the drama over and over again (if I wanna do a rewatch, it will be my fourth time of rewatching that drama)

To cure that obsession, I sunk myself into another obsession aka cdrama rabbit hole that now I can't escape anymore. In a span of a year I've watched lotsa and lotsa cdramas (imagine watching their dramas that has more than 30 episodes each but you still keep on going and can't stop) and I blamed The Untamed for opening the door 😋 *jk*

I'm glad that I haven't reach to the level where I buy their merchandise, especially the costume. It looks fabulous though 😉

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have watched and enjoyed some cdramas before like love020, Ten Miles, Nirvana King's Woman etc but I have never been hooked like this. There's a certain charm about TU that I can't describe.

It has everything. The story is engaging enough, the chemistry between actors is bombastic, the costume is beautiful, and the ost especially that sound of flute, it is quite...haunting

I can give you all the links to the merchandise...what I really really want is the umbrella.
I'll have to have my friend read your post - she's gone down the same rabbit hole, and it's all my fault.
Welcome, rabbit!

😄

Have you met @bebeswtz??? Lol. She’s been in the hole for months! Stalk her fan wall. You’ll love it.

ROFL
Thank you for the honourable mention, @ally-le 😉😉😉😍😍😍😍

did anyone else feel emo on monday bc bogum oppa left for the military T_T

wow! he left? our baby is growing up.

first yook sung jae, then woo do hwan and now bogum :( how many actors gotta be taken away for the military this year?

Did you see this news story about BTS and the Military Service Act? https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2020/09/732_295498.html

Wow, that just seems so bogus that BTS can’t be recognized at the same level as Olympic gold medal winners. But there’s probably so much societal pressure on them to serve that the members would refuse the exemptions anyway.

wow, i can't believe the gov't would change the laws for them! and @bbstl, i was thinking the same thing. i love the boys so much (and am SO PROUD OF THEM WOO), but if i was a korean male, i think i would feel angry that almost every man in the country except for bts has to serve. and then it goes into the question of other bands-- suho from exo is serving right now, seunghoon and jinwoo from winner, and so many more... will they be exempted too? or does this just apply to bts?

I’m waiting for all the Highlight members to come back...they all left in the past 2 years, with Doojoon and Yoseob already back (3 to go).

COVID-19 is becoming a much more wicked disease. It continues to mutate to make itself more infectious. Mortality rates may be slowly going down but long term effects are going up. A Penn State University study on Big 10 athletes showed that one-third who tested positive had inflammation of the heart, a serious medical condition.
People who have to use their body condition for their careers (athletes, actors, factory workers, construction workers, etc) have to be very concerned about acquiring a permanent medical condition. Some major league baseball players who have returned have said that they feel only 80 percent normal, that some days they are fully drained of energy. If the people in the best shape can get very sick, what about us?
The UK this week stopped another major film production. Seoul has put more restrictions in place as their positive test rates have risen (and alarmingly with 20 percent of the cases not being able to be traced.) If I were advising any entertainer, I would recommend not taking on any new film project until mid-2021.

There was actually a retraction of that Penn State Study number, it wasn't nearly 30%, but still, COVID19 is bad. We need to do better here in the US.

it's pretty surreal that we've been in quarantine for literally half the year. i feel like the us is the only country with numbers that keep rising, but no actual restrictions. my state was doing bad in march and april, but we're definitely one of the good ones right now. which isn't saying much because the us has done so abysmally as a whole. case numbers are slowly rising here, but it's still less than 400 per day (fingers crossed)

I heard an interesting discussion today on the new way the production of films, and TV shows, will have to be done. One was that the whole production will be done in one place, like the interior of a house, or building. Also that movies will be released online instead of in theaters. Disney Plus was lauded for their online offerings.

Now that Robert Pattinson came down with COVID, Batman is now on hold, we're seeing interesting changes in filmmaking. Hoping it all "disappears" soon.

Rob endured filming Twilight, I'm sure he will be able to recover from this lol

Since Chadwick Boseman filmed the majority of his movies while being treated for colon cancer, I'm sure COVID-19 is much easier to deal with.

Hi beanies, 2 days ago I just finished watching What's Wrong With Secretary Kim, I know it was shown 2 years ago but honestly, the series never gets old. I love the pairing of Park Seo Joon and Park Min Young, these two are perfect screen partners. I love more of them! On the other hand, after I ended watching it. I started watching The Bride of Habaek. Im currently on Episode 5. I just realized, why am I missing such beautiful series for couple of years. But it is not too late to watch it. Yes?

i am in the middle watch whats wrong with secretary kim @ netflix while read your tread , I am on 6 episode

Sitting here quietly hoping @missvictrix will write a review of Episodes 1-2 of DO YOU LIKE BRAHMS. *gives best puppy eyes*

We'll even settle for a mini review.

Recapping it with open thread would also be good!!
In any case, I third this request :)

So far not totally thrilled with Brahms. The girl is coming across to me as the wimpiest least assertive and timid heroine ever.

Remember she is that way so she can grow into a strong passionate woman through the series. They don't always stay this wimpy in the dramas.
Be patient - these were only the first two episodes!

I think she is one of those characters that appears timid on the surface but actually goes ahead and does what she wants. After all, she quit her business career over the objections of literally everyone and went back to school to study music. Also, she talked back to this conductor which is like...NEVER done.

I hope it will weecap the first week only, then I found the current recaps of this from Marymekpop website:

@wishfultoki Do you like Do You Like Brahms so far?

Yes! I am desperate to discuss it somewhere. I know the female lead comes across as timid right now, but I think it’s because she’s been fighting against the current for so long. She’s an introvert, she’s tired and worried, and has lost all confidence in her abilities. That’s why I loved that scene where Kim Min-Jae’s character praised her for a project. She waved it off as nothing, but he said “if it were nothing, anyone could do it right?”

I like her too!

She's kind and surrounded by mean girls.

I don't think she's timid. Timid wouldn't stand up to the conductor in front of the whole orchestra and risk humiliation. I actually think his character is more passive -- he's allowed himself to be pushed into a career that isn't making him happy and a lifestyle that's extremely lonely. No wonder he thinks he's in love with his one female friend.

@wishfultoki, I tried to start a thread under the premiere posting. If DB won't do open threads, come on over and share your thoughts.

A hijacked thread like we had for GRAND PRINCE? Fortunately it seems those troubling times are past us but there is precedent.

@bong-soo, and for Just Between Lovers. That was huge! But I suggested this before I read @missvictrix 's hint that DB might have an open thread.

Yes, he was very considerate and sweet. I guess they’ll make a good match (if they ever end up together). Perhaps the healing can take place then. I realized that I might be too harsh judging her character as a total passive and fragile, but given your reasons for her being a little timid I think she has good reasons for that. Perhaps one just doesn’t like the portrayal of oneself on screen 😅😂☺️🤣🤣.

I loved the first two episodes of Brahms, the pacing reminded me of I'll find you on a beautiful day. A lot of comments called it boring but it all depends on the state of mind.

That's an apt comparison, I hadn't thought of that! Maybe that's why I'm enjoying it - "breathing with" the show, as it were, at the pace it sets. Am settling in for a nice ride.

Makes sense, I love both shows.

Aw, thanks guys, that's sweet! *Whispers* We are planning a little something... Stay tuned!

Woohoo! Now I’m excited 😆

Well Toki, crime is probably my main genre but looking at my log I have enjoyed romantic dramas this year going backwards: INTO THE RING, HOSPITAL PLAYLIST, WEATHER, and ITAEWON CLASS.
I saved a spot for BRAHMS and I enjoyed the first two episodes and plan to stay with it.
One of the things in these type dramas that amazes me is how almost 30 year olds act so tongue tied around members of the opposite sex. I expect it with 16 year olds but.

Or any place where we can talk about it :)

Oh yes!!! I watched it this week and love the way they are giving us their back stories. And the music is also a plus!
So add me to the wish list!!

Hello beans.

I'm happy I got lots of Shin Sung Rok and Kairos updates this week 🥳.

Mark your calenders. 26th October 2020 is Kairos day 1!!!! Ahahaha

Exciteddddd to see SSR in a drama again. I miss actor SSR 🤩.

☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️😷📱⭐️(bonus star for mention during OT)

Oh no~~ are you sick 😷 @ndlessjoie? Don't be sick!! You know I care about you right? Take good care of your health 🥺.

🤣 It's part of my symbol for phone guided brain surgery since that's what stood out from the last drama I watched him in.

💉🧠 hahaha. I sometimes forget he was in VB and treat Perfume as his latest drama 😅.

I miss @ndlessjoie too *puppy eyes*

I'm watching Memorials and Do You Like Brahms. I'll pick up another soon so maybe this one?

>I'll pick up another soon so maybe this one?

@ndlessjoie will watch Kairos with me. 26th October is marked in her calender. @mmmmm will join us too 😆.

I’ll miss both @ndlessjoie and @katakwasabi then because thrillers aren’t made for me 🥺🤣. Enjoy the ride guys!

Little Boy - 915k September 19

Let's see

61 Hours 15 minutes - No food, no water. Complete Idiocy
From 2 September to 4 September. Thankfully Temperture was around 33 degree celcius and humidity around 75% or i was most probably done for. I'm alive. And few fickle minds claim i consider myself superior when in reality i openly write down my most idiotic life threatening acts. Narrative and agenda of facemasks.

Bad thing was i drank 1.5 ltr in 5 minutes and stomach that had no food for almost 3 days was overwhelmed and today turned out to be physically taxing and painful day.
And Heroine of Gay Chef was embarrassed about constipation and i have often seen heroines considering normal body problems as embarrassing. low on water usually leads to constipation. Natural.

Well, i wasn't born with strong body and from 2010 this kind of acts have actually become routine of summer. I was surprised when doctor gave me Iron pills for being iron deficiency anemia and low hemoglobin levels and said, rarely see guys having this sort of anemia. And funny enough this is the only trouble i've caused my mom. Heath problems. She's the protector so nothing have i to worry.
That's one crucial reason i put motherhood on pedestal.
Only if you could find such loyal outside blood too.

If your mom is good (provided I'm not generalizing that everyone's mom is good with them) then I think you can not find someone as caring or loyal to you even in blood lest outside.

Exceptions exist everywhere.
I feel too bad for making her suffer because i'm too into my antics. So for her sake I've to standup and fight and do better and to make all her efforts count.
As for loyal people - i read that finding good friends is rare and if you ever find them, never let them go. I consider this itself loyalty where a person who understands me have the guts to criticise and support me openly.

For those who might be interested, Chinese remake of Misaeng started airing. Be forewarned: It's 42 eps. Probability of fillers and drag is high.

Drama's English title is "Ordinary Glory".

I checked the trailer and it looked exactly the same as the drama. As much as I know, the manhwa was beautifully dramatized in the kdrama so I expected them to make another version of the manhwa. Hopefully it's not A to Z like the kdrama. Where's the creativity then?

Cdrama remakes of kdramas and jdrama have had overall less than impressive record, according to those who don't mind watching various remakes. Maybe because repetitive fillers and bland drama-original characters often plague cdramas.

I wonder how the subject of ‘guanxi’ will be handled. It was part of the MISAENG story line. Since MISAENG took place in a trading firm that did business in China will the Chinese remake take on what it takes to seal a deal with South Korean businesses?

Misaeng might still be part of the Hallyu in China then. Now that Chinese regulators are still sort of "unfriendly" towards all things SK entertainment. Such "cultural exchange" in cdrama seems unlikely.

Oh dear! They better not fill it too much.

Hi beanies,

Been watching lots of c-dramas lately instead of k-dramas. Here are some I recommend:

A murderous affair in Horizon Tower: a short 16 episode whodunit that was captivating since the first episode and contains a deeper underlying message than meets the eye. Don't let Angelababy's acting deter you from checking this one out. She's actually not that bad here.

Twenty Your Life On: a fun and funny show about four 20-year olds living in a dorm, supporting each other through their problems and forming strong friendships.

Cross Fire: Two video game enthusiasts from different timelines strike up a camaraderie, and help each other in achieving their dreams. Lots of action, CGI is good, fun watch.

Miss S: Considered as a Chinese remake of "Miss Fisher's murder mysteries", the cases aren't mind blowing, but the characters are likeable and I love the fashion attire of the female lead.

Bad Kids: I found out the book is significantly much darker than the drama, which makes me want to read the book.

IQIYI is killing it with their crime series dramas Burning Ice, Bad Kids, Kidnapping Game. I'm excited to check out the crime thriller Sisyphus next.

I loved TYLO, not only was it fun but also realistic. I appreciated what they did with the relationships by the end. Kept the women first, always and that's so rare in dramas.

Also forgot to mention, Taiwanese drama Some Day or One Day was really good too. Took me several episodes to get into it, but I'm glad I stuck with it until the end. Now I have a certain song stuck in my head.

My favorite line: "La, la, la,...Milky Way, La, la..."

Jackson Wang did it again!!! He's such a gem! It reminds a lot of Fatboy Slim and as @sirena pointed out as well of Michael Jackson little bit. The song is a collaboration with Galantis which gave a great groove and beat to it. If you didn't get to listen to it, just type Pretty please, it's worth it.

Anyway, I would love to see him acting in some romcom, he has such a potential, just no time for that.

Have a nice weekend everyone!!!

@kerouregan I really enjoyed the music video. It had such a feel good old school vibe.

Good morning,

On Wednesday night, instead listens to shady af school board meeting. I went to play Bunco with high school moms that my oldest son attending this year. it was so much fun. We laughed, drinking wine, and play Bunco. Best of it, no one wear masks. We did when we walk in to the hostess house. But later on, we take it off as there was tons of food and drinks. It was great. We high five each other. It was really great to feel normal and have fun. However, I have to rushed home due to my mother in law broke her shoulder bone. She is ok. She wearing sling until she see another doctor. My youngest son stay with her and my oldest with this weekend. My youngest son school got a waiver approved. Therefore, he is going back to school in person which he it is his decision. Only, preschool through 6 goes back to school. 7 and 8 are distant learning until after September 22 is going down for my County. I would hope so. Same thing, for my oldest son high school. They both decide to go back to school in person. Foe my daughter, I have decide to do distant learning for half of the year and go from there. She does need services. However, she can’t wear mask for sensory issues.

I have not watched much lately due to being busy. The only kdrama I am watching is Forest of Secrets 2 and Go Ahead and Love and Redemption. I am already caught except Go Ahead.

To be honest, I want this pandemic nightmare to be over. It has been really stressful for me especially for my daughter. I have not seen my family for couple of months. I miss them terribly. Luckily, we do see my mil but not my sil and her hubby. I hope we have a vaccine soon and it would work for everyone. Until then, I keep chugging along to make my kids and hubby happy and smiling every day. Stay healthy and safe!!!Have a three day everyone. Those who serve in our country and front line. thank you for your services!!!!🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

I hope you and your daughter find some fun things to do during this time. We have been kayaking a lot which our kids enjoy. Also, being on the water on your own boat naturally socially distanced is very relaxing!

Hi Beanies! I hope you had a wonderful week! I took today off (for the most part) so I have a 4 day weekend THANK GOD! I am still pending one answer to a work question and once I get that I am DONE with work for the weekend. It's supposed to be ridiculously hot Saturday and Sunday (over 100 degrees) so my plan is to get as much accomplished today so I can chill those two days and resume productivity on Monday. My only plans are to read, watch movies, finally start a puzzle my parents sent me and catch up on dramas.

I'm dropping WAS IT LOVE as I was skimming the recaps and it seems like I would get incredibly frustrated by the drama. I'm gonna continue with FOREST OF SECRETS (Season One) and I think I may check out FLOWER OF EVIL. I'm trying to figure out a rom-com drama to watch since i need some light-heartedness in my life.

I hope you all have a good weekend!

@sweetiepie54 Have a wonderful weekend as well!

flower of evil is a very good drama! for lighthearted ones, i'd recommend strong girl bong soon, when the camellia blooms and crash landing on you if you haven't seen those already-- i really liked the lovelines in those but there was also mystery. for something heartwarming with good friends and family stories, i'd recommend anything directed by shin won-ho-- (as u might tell from my screen name and avatar) reply 1988 is my favorite drama ever, and prison playbook is 2nd. i really enjoyed hospital playlist and reply 1997 and reply 1994. however, be warned, each episode is at least 1.5 hours (except for '97). it's a time investment, but completely worth it imo!

Wait... why there's no Lies of Lies listed on Prime-Time Shows This Week? :(

I hoped if @missvictrix will weecap for premiere week only then it will watch by yourself by recapping off-Dramabeans/outside Dramabeans from episode three to the very final episodes like When I Was the Most Beautiful did.

Dramabeans doesn't list smaller channels (Channel A, MBN, TV Chosun).

wish they would

Where do I begin... It's been a rough few months, and I've been re-watching some favorites. High-End Crush is one of them. I wish it had been longer, but it's just fine the way it is. The show was my intro to Jung Il-Woo. After the re-watch I totally binged on JIW because I was waiting for Sweet Munchies to gain some translated eps so I could watch several eps at a time (and that is another convo for another day. So mad!!). Finally watched Haechi. Wow! So good. The episode count had put me off for awhile, but I came to my senses. A fun ride that is unbelievably close to its actual history. Cinderella and the Four Knights... meh. The one thing I will say about it, the struggling family dynamic was kinda interesting and antagonistic but it descended into cliche. JIW graced the screen with his adorably angry rebel wearing amazing Chesterfield-length jackets. So pretty.

For newer dramas, I finished watching It's Okay to Not Be Okay. I really like it! With Seo Ye Ji and Kim Soo Hyun burning up my screen with their chemistry, it's kinda hard to see the other actors. Oh Jung Se is great as Sang Tae, the autistic older brother. I like his portrayal, and I think the show is trying to shed some light on different types of mental illness through the patients, something that's glossed over more often than not. In other news, I want all of Ko Mun Yeong’s dresses. All of them. I'll take her brand new Volvos, too. Will also take Kim Soo Hyun prettily crying over everything.

Finally, I watched Train. I found it nicely noir-ish, and slightly creepy, like a darker version of Welcome 2 Life. To be honest, Train 8210 was the most compelling character in the series, wanting to keep running, doing what it does best. The last episode (because so many shows lose it on the last episode!) seemed a little rushed; 16 episodes would've been okay instead of 12. Thankfully, it had no filler episodes and barrelled through like 8210, uncaring of the carnage (weird ending) it left in its wake.

She Knows Everything... what a nice, tight noir procedural. The not-so-good guys and the not-so-bad guys coming together to solve a ‘Who killed Laura Palmer?’ type plot.

So many other shows that I've been watching, but not enough room!

Train gave up all logic for a happy ending. So disappointing.

I liked, "She Knows Everything." I've become quite a fan of short Kdramas, they are some of my favorites. This past week I watched, "Let's Eat Something, Anna," and loved it.

I stopped in the middle of She knows everything. Should i return?

What I liked about SKE was that I thought I had it figure out, but the last episode proved that I wasn't as smart as I thought I was. I like mysteries that are hard to figure out--so many of them are too easy--not this one. BTW I started watching it for Jo Han Sun, I really liked him in Prison Playbook.

i should try.

ooops--big mistake, I liked Jo Han Sun, in Hot Stove League.

i just logged into DB to rave about the C drama 'Go ahead" I went through the comments and haven't seen anyone mention this gem of a drama...I wonder why?.....the actors are wonderful ,the story touching and poignant relationships very believable and full of heart, and how do i put this .... the negative characters are quite believable in their reason to be negative.
I love Steven Zhang,he aced the character of Zi qui in this.Very surprised to know that he's one of the producer of the series.Seven Tan again aces in her role and our boy Song Wei Long is improved a lot from'Find yourself'Days
Beanies give this series a chance ...

I did mention Go Ahead briefly. It is almost done as it is 40 episodes. It does take a while as it is slow. Also, so many Chinese and Korean dramas out there. As for me, I a, trying to catch up. I still love it. Have a great day!!!

You need to join the c-drama discord group. I started the first episode, but there are those that have watched all of it so far!

I tried that in my discord app. It says that expired.

We have it set so invite links expire after 24 hours so we don't get any weirdos. Or, well, people any weirder than us...

I stopped watching for a while, because of the coming romantic entanglements...

I barely made it through Episode 3 and was about to drop it but I may power through if it is as good as you say. I have to say that I disliked all of the female characters, major and minor, in the first few episodes. I even wondered whether the writer is a misogynist. The only female character that I didn't mind too much was Jianjian as a girl. But then she grew into a female stereotype that I particularly dislike: the perky, artless, and not very intelligent naif. As bad as another stock female stereotype, the smart but timid and shy girl with a heart of gold, and...noooooo...here came the best friend. AGH! Did you have the same initial reaction to teenage Jianjian? If you did, when did your opinion of her turn around? Maybe I can skip to that episode. I think this drama has potential if I can just get beyond the cute and bubbly.

Happy weekend Beanies and keep Beaning On!

My warrior friend is still alive! Thank you Beanies for your support on last OT! I could only muster a like to your replies, but I have been rereading your comments to boost my morale.🥰 One of my friends volunteered to be messenger between warrior’s parents and our friend group and she was the poor soul who made that dreadful phone call last week. Last Saturday she had to deliver even more bad news, she even half-joked that the only news we would be getting on Sunday would be the ultimate bad news. Imagine how we all felt when my phone went off on Sunday….Fortunately it was good news for once, but my heart!!!😱

Warrior has to remain in intensive care for a while because they are still tracing the source of the infection. Her condition is still critical with lots of ups and downs, so her parents have decided to continue with nearly daily email updates to decrease phone calls and unnecessary heart attacks.😉 Messenger friend has been sending those daily email updates via whatsapp and after a few positive updates and no more phone calls I do notice the disappearance of the numbness and a decrease of anxiety. Definitely better than last week, when I was mentally preparing myself for a funeral.

That big concern did take the backseat this week because of my job exams. I already took one and passed, with 4-5 more to go. The circumstances reminded me of my university finals, so I dug up my diligent student persona and faced September head on. It will be a few sober weeks until September 24th without K-dramas or any other fiction form in order to focus well. As a result my fan wall and ‘what we are watching’ will remain empty for a few weeks because they rely on my K-drama musings. I also want to watch more episodes of Reply 1988 and find some time to rewind to Rebel before I review both shows. However, I cannot go without lurking on Dramabeans, so I will be around. I am NOT missing the Beanie wedding in two weeks, job exams be damned!😤😆

My father is also counting down the painfilled days until he gets his cortisone infiltration on the same date. It helps a lot that my sister and her husband are able to temporarily adapt their work schedules, enabling them to get the godsiblings to school and daycare and back home without involving my parents or me most of the time. The month September sounds a lot less scary when you view it as 24 days and are already on day 4.🥳

Take care everyone!❤️

Turtie🐢

turtie, i'm so happy that your friend is okay! yayyy! congrats on passing your first job exam! wishing for good health and luck for you, your friends, and your family. and for your next job exams, fighting !! u got this <3

Thank you for the support! Watching Reply 1988 (episode 2-3 now) really helps ! ;)

OMG keep me updated on your watching too! hope you enjoy :)

The episodes make me feel warm an happy, which really helps to cope with everything. As soon as everything calms down I'll certainly update. I estimate I will be finished somewhere in November, so we have plenty of time ;)

Good luck and best wishes continue for your friend's recovery.

Thank you, I can definitely use them now! :)

Good luck with the rest of the exams, and best wishes for everyone’s health! Take care of yourself 😊

Thank you, especially for "Take care of yourself". When you worry about someone/something else, it is easy to forget yourself too. ;)

Hi there all:
Hope everyone is well and safe.

A publishing company wants to turn my favorite published novel, The Constant Tower, into a graphic novel. They really love the book and i appreciate that but I want to finish several other books i'm kinda procrastinating on and i do not know how to write graphic novels. I want to just give it to someone who knows how to script graphic novels but everyone keeps saying it'll be a fun learning experience for me. So apparently, that's what i'll be doing. I have to figure out if i should let my husband do the art. He's well known in the comic book world and his name on the graphic novel would help sales, but --although i love the beloved-- i'm not sure his drawing style would work for Constant Tower. So i have to decide on that.
Fave dramas:

Alice -- Who knew i needed a time dislocation timey-wimey time loop drama? And who knew we would have another drama with an alexithymic character? It better end satisfyingly. Sometimes these specfic kdramas do not follow through with the logistics of the specfic worlds they create.

Flower of Evil -- Still liking this but am also somewhat disappointed that the typical plot trope kicked in with the doctor's family harboring the real accomplice. I actually felt a heaviness when i saw the hospital pic.

Missing: the other side -- This is so much fun. I just hope the human gatekeeper or whatever he is doesn't get arrested for anything. A kind of futile hope because this kinda misunderstanding thing happens all the time. But apparently, i needed a drama with a portal to the aferlife.

Stranger 2: Darnit, Show, please tell me that you didn't just knock off one of my favorite characters? Nothing more hard-hearted than a kdrama cliffhanger. But, if this isn't a misdirection, it's a whole nother level of viewer torture. I should've gotten suspicious when the writer gave us a glimpse into the tortured wounded soul of our sleazy desperate prosecutor. I should've known he wasn't long for this world. His kidnapping better be a tool to make the viewers stress out. He better be alive is all I'm saying.

cdramas:
Trying to find sometime to marathon, The Murderous Affair in Horizon Tower, since Avenue X loved it on her cdrama channel. It's on Wetv, so i have to keep remembering to go there because i generally don't go to cdrama channels.

Have a great weekend, all.

congrats on your book deal!

will it be difficult working with your husband as illustrator on this project? my husband and i are both graphic designers, but we cannot work together. in fact, we never talk shop or about our respective projects...
: D

Yes, very difficult. Different styles altogether and i know what he is not capable of. So it might have to be a settling for him. Am pondering this very deeply. Thank you for the congratulations.

I once tried to write a short story with my husband as a fun project. We were taking turns writing one paragraph after the other (like Chinese Whispers).

I realized we are a better team to fix Ikea furniture out esthetic sensibility does not match. :-D (Terry Pratchet and a lot of other British Humour nonwithstanding)

And congrats for your book deal.

Thank you. Yeah, this could be problematical. Either i just give it to him and stop caring about getting my illustrative vision into it or i battle him all the way. I'm not a fan of battling. We shall see.

I wish dramas like Alice or Foe would explain about this alexithymic trait, instead they keep talking about ASPD and teasing the audience into believing main lead is a psycho, and sometimes that he can be changed by the power of love.

Yep. i actually had to go research it. From what i could see. It's either nature or nurture. At least in Alice we know it was radiation that affected his brain.

Just picked up a stack of books on making comics, action manga, and the Queens of Animation. Hoping to hone my skills.
Your book deal is amazing, sounds like a super incredible opportunity to venture into new territory! I’d love to see the finished graphic novel!

Thank you. I'm so on the verge of chickening out.