Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol: Episodes 5-6 Open Thread

As business picks up for our heroine and new students find their way to her, our focus shifts to our hero, and his mysterious backstory. Although we have our regular dose of adorability and humor, Do Do Sol Sol also throws us a curveball this week, and it has the potential to change a lot for our characters.

EPISODES 5-6 WEECAP

The flash of lightning and casual, “Anyeong!” from Lala that triggered Joon’s trauma last week also triggered an OTP-worthy embrace, with Joon seeking comfort from Lala for a few brief moments. When he recovers he doesn’t offer an explanation, but asks her not to say goodbye like that in the future. Lala can be more observant than we realize — especially when it comes to Joon — and after she leaves, she winds up running back to check on him, sensing something wrong. Yes. So much yes!

The two are adorable, sitting in his bed under the blankets (haha okay, Show), and it’s a sweet bonding moment for them. Also, it’s the beginning of the crack in Joon’s facade. We know he’s been hiding a secret, and it’s linked to his friend, but what we learn over the course of this week is what we expected… and so much more.

Ubiquitous Dr. Cha, who seems to find it perfectly normal to follow teenagers around all day, won’t let up on Joon. It’s when we/he finally remembers their connection, though, that we have our game-changing moment. Dr. Cha remembers running into Joon when he dropped something at an event, and Joon handed it to him. A little digging and he finds out that Joon is actually the only son and sole heir of a huge hospital. Oh, also, he’s a high school senior.

Soooo that happened. The runaway chaebol part I got (and we guessed), so that made sense. And getting glimpses of his horrible family life and suffocating/soulless father made his running away completely understandable. Even the reveal around the accident that caused his best friend’s death — that worked too. But I can’t wrap my head around why the story wants him to be a high schooler.

To make this situation even more confusing, while we are getting hints leading up to this reveal, the scenes are intercut with him and Lala. She’s wondering why he’s getting so tall, and is trying to measure his height against their wall. This, of course, gets Joon totally flustered, and this scene is more than clear about his pretty heavy attraction to her. Great, now I can’t fully enjoy their cute, chemistry-filled moment — and Joon leaning in to kiss her before getting head-banged — because I’m worried that he really is only 18 or 19. This is a trick, right?

On one hand, I’m confused and concerned. But it’s always worth playing devil’s advocate a little, so let’s look at the other side too. Yes, their age gap is uncomfortable now, but if they’re only 5-ish years apart, that’s not such a big deal a few years down the road. Also, if I squint really hard, in a way some of it makes sense. When we see Joon alone and free to react to Lala in private, it really does have the vibes of this overpowering and uncontrollable noona crush. He’s a smart boy and obviously very mature, but we also see his logic and reason turn to mush whenever Lala asks him for something — it’s like he’s a captive puppy. So, if you look at it like that, I guess it kinda makes sense?

Poor Joon, though, he knows he’s falling for Lala, and he’s already kicking himself for lying to her for no reason when they met at her wedding. Dr. Cha tries to give Joon some sage advice about lies destroying trust between two people… and then Joon smartly turns it back on him, pointing out that Dr. Cha is lying too (he knows Lala through her fiancé but never told her). It’s the only card that Joon has against Dr. Cha, and it feels like Dr. Cha has so many more against Joon. But, what he doesn’t have is Lala adoring him and depending on him, which she does to Joon, whether she realizes it or not.

Other things happened in the show this week, but they were all overshadowed by the reveal around Joon. And if they weren’t overshadowed by Joon, they were overshadowed by Joon + Lala, because whenever they’re onscreen together I am in love with them and their interactions, and can’t stop smiling.

That being said, I’m enjoying our developing story — and by that I mean the hilarious sprinkling of new characters, whether it’s creepy glue haircut guy, the sweet haraboji getting piano lessons, or our observant, adorable child prodigy. I’m even growing fond of Ha-young and her secret suitor, the drama addicts over at the salon — and while we’re at it, can we get a kimchi pancake shout-out?

Do Do Sol Sol continues to deliver this balance of cuteness, hilarity, and contrived mayhem. It’s all meant to be fun, and that’s why I love it so much. Crazy though it sounds, and stones though you may throw, I almost think I like the drama more after this dramatic curveball, just because it’s so perplexing.

So, between trying to figure out why the character of Joon was purposefully written so young, and that killer cliffhanger with Lala and all her friends awaiting the arrival of her secret benefactor (what a great scene!) — I can’t wait for next week’s episodes. In fact, just picture Lala bursting through the wall between her studio and the salon. That’s the same gangbusters feeling I have waiting for more episodes of this show. Moar! Because there’s got to be a reason for this plot choice, right? Just don’t rain on the cute parade, Show, because I’m counting on our marshmallow and ditzy pianist living happily ever after in Lala Land.

Tags: , , , , ,

What in the hell? Joon's a minor!? That's why he only graduated from middle school and doesn't have his license? That's why Ra-ra used banmal with him at her wedding because he looked young and Na-gyeom's mom mistook him for her dongsaeng at the hospital? I hate this plot twist. I didn't sign up for I Can Hear Your Voice. This ruined me. 😭😭

Me too. I was liked NOOOOO, now I have to stop watching. How creepy. I was praying for a time jump at the end. Ewwww.

Same here, same here. I tried to watch episode 6, but I mainly FF just to try get a scene where we learned he's older than 18, but we didn't.
I'm not watching anymore. I hate this.

Jun is actually 19 years old. The scene in episode 6 where they were eating ice cream, there was a part there where ha yeong said they were 19. They're also a señior in high school. So there, jun is also 19. Dont give up on the drama. Lets see what the writers have for us

Opps sorry, its not in the icecream scene. Its the scene where they were making the bag for the piano students. Ha yeong's friend was taking a video, then he said something like 'ha yeong at the age of 19' hehehe hope it helps. They are also high school señiors

19 in Korean age, that means they're still minors. They are actually around 17-18.

I was praying for a fake out. Ra-ra and Joon were one of my favorite OTPs of the year, and now I have to drop them like a hot potato. Like @missvictrix wrote,

Great, now I can’t fully enjoy their cute, chemistry-filled moments

I'm depressed.

And it just dawned on me. Legal issues aside, the adult female lead owes the teenage male lead a hefty amount of money. How uncomfortable.

She is still living off him, in fact 😫

And yet she is still noted as ..."our heroine"...

Sadly, this is not inconsistent with the setup in Ep 1 & 2 - but for some reason the show decided to jump all the way through the looking glass.

It's only ep 6, still plenty of time for a massive bait and switch.

I would pay Joon for a bait and switch. I'm mourning my loss of this show. I was obsessed with it, so this feels like a sudden breakup.

I hear your voice was awesome! Why complain????

I Hear Your Voice and High School King of Savvy we knew what we were getting. We knew going in Lee Jong-suk and Seo In-guk were high schoolers. But Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol we were explicitly told Joon was 24 and the same age as Ra-ra. This plot twist was unnecessarily thrown in as a surprise.

Exactly my expression! Like WTH! I became uncomfortable after that reveal. Any romance with a minor is a No No for me. That was why I dropped ‘I hear your voice’ and ‘ High school king of savvy’ . Would probably drop this soon as I don’t feel comfortable watching it at all.
But before the reveal, I was 100% onboard with the drama. Now that’s how it would end for me?😢
Now unto ‘the spies who loved me’ .

I find this all curious. The examples given below are all of ML being younger (still in high school) than FL. Why is no one mentioning Goblin in their complaints. If Goblin is ignored it puts a sexist slant to all of these complaints.

Lots of us hated this in Goblin too.

Oh trust me people here have been accused of the other way round. Goblin, Itaewon Class, Backstreet Rookie all had complaints.

yea they're all creepy but I didn't mind Itaewon class as much because he only made a move once she was like 25 and before that, she was at least still and making her own money.

Jun as high schooler contributes nothing to the plot so...yeah...
why is drama always focusing either underage student or working adult when collage happen tho?

I was gonna ask this qn too! Like what is this unhealthy obsession putting high schoolers with adults (not just this drama, others too) I mean, what’s wrong w college or being 20?

It's not even the fact that he's a high schooler but that he's a minor that shocked me. Jun is 18 and Rara is 23. It doesn't stop them from being cute but this is officially the plot twist nobody saw coming or needed.

I'm not sure if this helps, but a KBS social media channel seems to say that Jun is 19 while Ra-ra is 24. Well, if we try to think that in just another year he will become an adult ... so it might be ok, right? I mean if we put some effort into thinking like that...

Not really because they're falling in love in the present and I expect a kiss scene next week by k drama rules. He could even be 17 because we don't know the exact birth date and it's still July in the drama universe.

Totally agree.

Joon's exact birth date is May 10, 2002. It's written on his report card (생년월일) after his father slapped him for getting zeroes in all his subjects in Episode 6.

I didn't notice that but it means he was 17 when they met the first time. So he just barely turned 18.

He has the same birthday with his friend who died? In episode 2, its also written in the urn 2002.05.10. Not that is matters though hehe

So both friend shared the same birthday? Is this some kind of an important piece of information?

P.S. I just finished rewatching ep.6. Never failed to put a smile on my face.

P.S. 2 Do you guys know that there are 2 epilogues in this ep? I found the first one in which Mimi was the ‘ghost’ cute but the second one in which Jun bought Ra-ra a blender very sweet. I love shows that pay attention to details like this. It warms my heart. ❤️

I dont think this information will matter hehe me too i just finished rewatching ep 6 and still smiling few hours after. Love this show and the epilogues as well

That Joon's age is 19 is probably important because the age of majority in South Korea is 19. To quote a report in Wikipedia:

The age of majority is the threshold of adulthood as recognized or declared in law. It is the moment when minors cease to be considered such and assume legal control over their persons, actions, and decisions, thus terminating the control and legal responsibilities of their parents or guardian over them. Most countries set the age of majority at 18, but some jurisdictions have a higher age and others lower.

Here is the full article:

Maybe I am wrong but from what I recall Joon has not been living under an alias but using his actual name. He definitely is trying to stay under the radar and trying to keep a very low profile. He definitely didn't want any medical records kept on him. I don't know how much information he needs to supply to employers. He does not use a credit card.

It seems like the majority age isn’t the same as the legal age I assume. I remember one Beanie’s strongly claimed that the legal age in S Korea is 20, so that would still trouble some. But if this is also the case, it makes sense why the show makes him 19 and try to go under the radar: He probably wants to be 19 before the family found him as then he wouldn’t have to yield to their wishes -whatever that may be.

Yea that's 19 in International age, not Korean age. a person who is 19 in Korean age is 17-18 in international age.

It's fitting enough to get Joon and Lala to be married. So no problem either both two of them will get married at the final week, so I shall see for it.

Thanks, @missvictrix, for the recap! I don't know how long Joon has run away from home but I think he's still older than Ha-young who's in grade 12. He feels so mature when dealing with Lala but why wasn't he mature enough to deal with his rumor-mongering jealous classmates? I really like how Lala always has a sunny disposition and the way she welcomes Joon home by playing a specific piano piece.

He isn't KBS posted it on their IG. Joon is 19 by Korean Age means he is the same age as Hayoung.

Didn't mom say something to Ha-young that she and Seung-ki have been fighting for 12 years since they were 7?
O/T. Yoon Jong-bin (1995) (and turns 20 on 26 Oct. Happy Birthday!) who plays Seung-ki to me looks like he could be Yoon Kyung-sang's younger brother.

Those rumors were terrible though. He was already feeling guilty about his friend's death and then those kids were maliciously saying how he must be glad that his friend is dead so that he could take the #1. Must be one of those cut-throat, for-the-rich schools.

I think he's only been a runaway for 7 months. His friend died December 2019. But it's weird that he only got his first job 7 months ago and in that time, he's already a pro at hard construction labor, bussing tables, making sandwiches, and selling cosmetics. Would have made more sense if he was born poor.

After reading a paragraph about Jun being a high schooler, i said this out loud (well, in private of course) "It makes sense when we want it to make sense even when it doesn't make sense."

I loled a little when you're teaching dear Mr. Stalker Doctor Cha missvictrix. He is such a relaxing doctor: He doesn't have to do much work and can just follow our dear little puppies around day and night.

.. And you can always destroy part of the wall just to get Kimchi pancake, can't you?

Btw, the scene when Ra-ra smelled the kimchi pancake is really amusing! Her facial and nose expressions are gold!

And to burst Missvictrix bubble, I remember some voiceover said that Jun has to return to where he belongs right? I'm guessing the the old man who is the owner of the building is Ra-ra's manufacture, and he has known both Jun and Ra-ra for a long time and without them knowing. He might have been a chaebol in the business world himself.

Herrrr.. I made a lot of typos. 'teaching' --> 'teasing', Missvictrix's bubble, 'manufacture' --> 'benefactor'.

"It makes sense when we want it to make sense even when it doesn't make sense."
THIS.
Well, it pretty much sums up the show for me.
It's cute and not making much sense, but I'm enjoying
-the ladies in the salon
-the high school duo
-but mostly our new little prodigy piano player!

Yes. 😊 I'm also liking the show very much. Let's say that I like EVERYTHING about the show besides the age of the ML. I didn't think I minded it that much, but judging from the way I feel watching Ep.6 I actually think I mind it that much. Perhaps it's because I didn't suspect this from the very beginning. If he was in college it wouldn't make much difference.. but a high schooler?

kimchi pancakes and classical music is a wondrous combination. Some of the food shots today - brought me back to Let's Eat!

Yes. Even cooking ramyeon looks amazing.

Now I think I understand myself a little bit better: Perhaps it’s not the love Jun has per se and the age gap between the leads, but the fact that the missing piece of information could have played the big role in determining in which direction the relationship would head (especially on Ra-ra’s side) is making me a bit anxious. I would have been okay if she knew the truth from the beginning and them falling in love no matter what. But this!

Here is hoping that the drama will have a satisfying solution for this quite unnecessary mess. He is still a high schooler, not even a high school graduate!

By just reading this is the show implying that Joon as played by Lee Jae Wook is so young that he is still growing taller??

Did @egads write this show?

I'm dying. 🤣

Hey now, don't pull me into this mess. I was just thinking I should try to power through the first two episodes, and then this blew up, and well, maybe not.

This is the silliest show, but it's also very heartwarming. If you pass it over because of the age thing, you'll be missing some very gentle, sweet fluff, full of LJW gruff words accompanied by heart eyes.

That's what I say!
We just have to agree with the fiction contract.
We agree with everything they say as long as they give us proofs it is valid within their own premise.
So even a silly premise makes sense if it makes sense...
Give it time and Show will prove itself....

It looks like Lee Jae Wook is just 22 years old and Go Ara is 30. It's pretty unlikely that Lee Jae Wook will get any taller than he is right now, but not impossible. For the person he is playing in the drama though, it is certainly possible. An Xray of the wrist would show the possibility (or not) of getting any taller.

Lol.
When he first got popular among Beanies with MotA and Melo it was a possibility that egads had brought up because he was still so young.
I cant remember if it was just a casual observation that she decided to drop on everyone or if there had been discussion of potential height change between the two dramas.

High schooler? HIGH SCHOOLER??? Really? Why show? WHY???

Exactly this.

Aaaahhh... I felt like now living with post-DYLB, so I had to go ahead watching DoSolLa.

This week's episodes still made fun at me because of so many better romantic scenes between Joon and Lala with not to mentioned Mimi (played by one of the cutest K-drama dogs, Byul).

Dr. Cha gave me some more funny scenes featuring him and I rather understood he still a good friend of Joon.

I love the last two stills from this week's weecap so the first one was in my opinion, the five DoSolLa friends were still my lovers, right. And finally, the second and final still was drawing SFX. I think there's a cat drawing... but unfortunately, no real cat yet appearing on this show! What a bummer for the cat.

I hope that LaLa Land will not bankrupt until the end of this series (in offscreen).

hmmmm. huh. I'm not sure how i feel about this plot twist. I have no issues with large age gaps and what nots but somehow this one makes me pause - maybe simply coz i didnt know this from the beginning.

The twist caught me off-guard.
Now I don't know how I feel about this...lol. But I expect a time jump to happen.
Kinda reminds me of I Hear Your Voice whereby the male lead was still a high school student in the beginning.

It's kinda is weird, maybe because we didn't know it from the start (this age thing). But I mean isn't it normal even if he's 19 and she's 24? I have been surrounded with such couples so I don't find it such a big deal. I just hope this shit doesn't turn platonic. I'm too invested. Lee Jae Wook is amazing in this!

The thing is that those are Korean years, that is, he might be 17, for all we know! And a 17-22 pairing is a lot more problematic than a 19-24... At 17 it's not only that you are legally a minor, but you're truly still growing up, and being with someone older might mean you skip important experiences or live them too soon. As I see it, it's not so much a question of amount of years in the age difference, but more about at what stage in life people are in. When I was young I dated older people and felt ok about it, but I was already in my early 20s.
But no arguing about LJW's awesomeness. I hope there's a time jump in store!

I must've lived a very inappropriate life by such standards then. I guess it's weird seeing it in Kdramas because we expect it to by societal standards. It happens in real life though.

Anyone wanna guess why I could never finish High School King of Savvy...

You know what I'm hoping for? Against, probably all odds? A doppelgänger double twist *snorts at herself* *yeah right*.

I never finished HSKOS either. And for the same reason.

I don’t think there is gonna be any doppelgänger. That’s for Vampire Diaries, sorry I mean, Tale of Nine Tails.

👀👀👀
I'm willing to keep watching this to see where it goes, but I do concur with the above beans that this is a very unnecessary addition.

Lmao I don't think there is either, it would just be kinda funny and extra tropey.

Please let Joon have a doppelgänger and is just using his name Sunwoo Joon. The last five minutes of Episode 5, I was like, FML.

I’m actually fine with the high schooler thing for some reason. Maybe because it’s LJW’s first lead role and I just want to give passes for everything this show does wrong. Or maybe because GA and LJW actually do have chemistry more than I expected. I just want them to be happy in LaLa Land and never worry about a thing happening there.

Speaking about Dr. Cha, I don’t mind him. I’m grateful for him for bringing so many truths out and showing us viewers what really happened. Other than that, he does a lot of stalking, I wonder if he and his wife could open a stalking company cuz both of them are really good at it. Also unpopular opinion, his wife is still in love with him.

Ha Young and Seung Gi continue to be in unwanted places and I don’t really care about them that much. Same with HA Young’s mom, the hair stylist and her posse of drama loving ahjummas who doesn’t have any other work other than watch dramas, get their hair done and try to uptalk the others using their kids. No wonder the salon isn’t popular, the ahjummas’ hair are terrible even after staying practically 17 hours there.

I could so relate to Rara when she burst through that door though. That’s definitely me when it comes to food. I get a strength I never knew I had when I smell food. It’s weird.

LJW continues to be my puppy. His expressions and THOSE EYES, man. I’m saying this for the 274947209303th time, Lee Jae Wook has the world’s best expressive eyes. He could tell a whole story without moving his mouth an inch, just using his eyes. My God, aren’t I in love?

First Kim Min Jae, not Lee Jae Wook. I’m turning into a noona-who-loves-minor-actors too.

KMJ is 23 and LJW is 22yo. So you (and I) are not noona-who-love-minors 😜

Thank God for that. We saved ourselves from being Raras in real life. Lol.

I'm really surprise when I found out he's the one who played Marco in Memories of the Alhambra. I already fell in love him Extraordinary you and Search: WWW just makes me melt. I just excited to see him as lead role in here and love love love him in here, minor or major.

I know. It always surprises me to realise that he is Marco in the Memories of the Alhambra. He was pretty scary there!

WHOA. He is Marco?!?!?!?! I'm gonna have to go back and rewatch some of those episodes.

Sure the plot twist doesn't really add much to the story but am I the only one who doesn't really mind that he's 18? It would have been less topical if he were closer age to Lala but that's legal age already anyways. And they're just so cute and fluffy together I want to see moaaarrrr!!
Besides, pretty sure a time skip is in the works.

I don't mind his actual age because he has proved himself to be very mature and capable. Joon has successfully provided for himself and Rara, and is her teacher when it comes to the details of ordinary life. "Sweep the floor. Make your bed. Wash the dishes." He also had the emotional maturity to let Rara keep her beloved car rather than take the money.

Rara is very young for her age. She was very sheltered, and she excels at wrapping people around her little finger so they will do anything for her. Even though she lost her father and her comfortable life, she hasn't faced real hardship or loneliness thanks to Joon. So while Joon may have to take time out for high school graduation and college, Rara also needs time to become a responsible life partner.

Rara and Joon complement each other's strengths and make up for each other's weaknesses. They've become family for each other. I'm counting on Grandpa to be their protector in the difficult time ahead. I'm confident that they'll get through it because they've established a strong foundation. Rara may be shocked when she finds out the truth about Joon, but she has plenty of evidence that she can trust him. I wonder if she will end up teaching piano to patients at his hospital. Or if he will open a music therapy center with Rara.

As a total aside, I wonder if Dr. Cha is terminally ill. I also wonder if he has been idealizing and obsessing about Rara since that concert because she had the guts to break convention in front of an audience out of love for her dad. He needed someone like that in his conventional and loveless life.

I read that Dr. Cha has a burnout syndrome.

“ I wonder if Dr. Cha is terminally ill “

Warning signs or red herrings?
1. Fist full of meds taken surreptitiously
2. Consulting a neurosurgeon
3. Extreme change in life - sudden divorce, closing up a successful, professional, life in Seoul and moving to a small city, Taking up piano again...

If it’s not a terminal disease, something BIG happened ...

Your #1 doesn't count becaue in S Korea, doctors don't prescribe 1 tablet twice a day, they prescribe "One fistful of tablets as needed and make sure to drop and spill the open bottle if you are truly in bad shape."

I agree with your words
Rara and Joon are about the same age emotionally - he is an old soul as much as she is a baby soul.

Agree! He's better at adulting than her! 🤣 (but if he's under 18... nope)

They're still a great match, but now I have to worry about him going to the army and leaving Rara for 18 months and there being a possible time jump to make this work.

Flashback to Search WWW of Seol Jihwan going to military...

So it's a noona romance with 2 people that have the emotional maturity of a kid. Joon is mature on some points but doesn't seem capable to handle his emotions and clearly has never dated. Rara was overprotected and never really grew up.
So it means that Ha-Young is actually in love with someone from her age. I wasn't expecting that...

Oh, it' funny that Yoong Jong Bin is older than Lee Jae Wook and was in Extraordinary You too :)

I could've done without the reveal that Joon is only a 19 year old high schooler, but since Ra-ra is 24 it's not a huge age gap and a time skip sometime in the future can fix the problem. Maybe because Ra-ra has the maturity level of a middle schooler but I'm not too bothered by it, it's still a fun show. But I do wonder about the purpose of the reveal and who is the body in the water? It doesn't seem to be his friend since he was killed by the Truck of Doom.

I think it may be someone who pickpocketed Joon. He kept coming back to the lost and found looking for something.

Why does Joon have to be so young? There must be a reason because I just don't understand why other than it would explain why his mother is looking for him. But same applies even of he is few years older. 🤷‍♀️

Dal-ja's Spring did the "overbearing mother/family sending suspicious-looking people looking for son" thing with a 27-year-old, so even that's not a good excuse 😢

It's a pity because I enjoy nearly everything else about this drama.

I do enjoy this drama too but I was thrown off with that twist.

I watched Dal ja's spring recently. I didn't mind the age gap, but the fact that Dal ja considered herself old at 33!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What kind of mentality exist in Korea that you think you are old at 33?!-😱
These people have a long life expectancy because they just eat too healthy, and they are all thin. Why on earth you have to worry about being 33 and your lover 27?

Let's see how they take it here when not only Rara but everybody else knows he is 18 or 19... where the show will go...
I am curious

Its interesting to see where the writer will take it. We most likely will have a timejump at some point.

Perhaps they are trying to build up the heartache when she finds out the truth? Or are they trying to explain why he's running away from home, because he's so young? If he was a tad bit older, he might have come up with a better idea or had mental stability that he wouldn't have run away from home in the first place and every cute little thing after that wouldn't have happened. 😩

I know I'm trying to come up with excuses to save the show. Even having said that, I am feeling a little bit off with the relationship between the two at this point. That's a shame as I have been enjoying everything the show has been doing for the past weeks.

I don't wanna say this but so can we say that this cute little soon-to-be couple is actually a middle-school couple? (Jun is a middle school kid and Ra-ra has the mentality of a middle-school kid. Not that I'm not liking it.) 😅 Anyway, it's still refreshing to a certain extent and I think I'll stick with this one to the very end. They are cute, and everything else is cute, anyhow.

You are right about that. Jun is more mature than Rara. 😆 i really like this show so will stick with this a bit more too.

And I just thought a moment ago how Ra-ra will feel once she finds out about this age. She even told him that he could tell her everything especially things that bother him. I'm feeling like everything is building up for Ra-ra to be totally broken once she learns she has been betrayed by Jun in the near future. That, if happens, will surely make me miserable. 😩

Misled, yes. Betrayed, no. Will she be shocked? maybe. But when she thinks about his situation and everything he has done for her, I think her kind heart will understand, and even more, will want to help him, because she knows him well enough to know that he will be suffering when he has to go home.

I agree that she would be understanding though she may need some time alone to process. Given the light tone of the drama, I feel like it won't be an overdramatic "I can never ever believe anything you say ever again" reaction.

I don't know but I don't think she will be upset though.
She is very simple minded in a good way and good at heart, she will understand very quick.

If that’s the case I’ll be happy; but I somehow think that this is a very convenient route for these heartache phrase in Kdramas.

I'm confused what's the problem? Whether he's 18 or 19 that's technically not a minor, isn't that under 18 ? I've got no problem with the age difference. If the roles were reversed I still wouldn't. If that's where the drama is going so be it

In Korea, 20 is the legal age so this is a problem.

Well I'm assuming the readers here are international meaning most of is have 18 as the legal age in our countries. So with that logic it shouldn't bother us while watching the drama

This drama is fully ruined for me and this was my happy pill. I didn't care that he was younger because he is younger in real life, but making him a high schooler is just creepy. Why? I'm so disappointed, I'll read next week's recap to see if there is a time jump before I touch this again. I'm so uncomfortable.

In reality, Ra-ra could be sued for being in a romantic relationship with a minor. It gives me the creeps too. I haven’t started watching, just the trailer, and browsing through the recaps to see what to watch after DYLB.

I understand you so much.
I will also keep an eye on the recaps just to check if we've been fooled and Jun is actually older than 18 and not a minor, but the show is totally ruined for me :(

Such a wonderful show! I am loving all the characters, the setups, the sweet interactions!!

I loved this writers earlier shows, so I am willing to trust in whichever direction she takes us.

Bonus Plus, Noona Romance!!😊

Beantown, I love your beanpot! I have one without the Boston label. Bean on!

wow, reading comment heres surprise me because most of them doesn't like Jun to be high schooler.
To me, it just adding my excitement (in drama context). What I think after that twist is I Can Hear Your Voice. Their age gap is bigger than this one. And Rara thinking and emotion is like matching with Jun, some of them thinks older and the other is younger and they meet in the middle :D

ha, ha, ha the plot twist!
Maybe Jun is 19 years old by regular way of counting our age and Lara is is 24 years old by the Korean age counting method. It does not bother me at all that he is not officially adult yet.
But in reality, the age gap may bother either Jun or Lara. Indeed when I met my husband, he was fresh out of college while I graduated from a graduate school and sometimes we have three years or four years old difference. It bothered me sometimes, in particular, when we had four years age gap.
But my husband nonchalant attitude for our age gap and him being very kind and thoughtful won me over.
It's a miracle that we have been together for over thirty years. Currently I am 4 years older than him but I did not realize that til I thought about Jun and Lala!! I can say comfortably that age is just a number.
I think if Jun was honest with his age from the beginning, the romance probably would not start cause even free spirited Lara would not like to get involved with an underage boy romantically. So not knowing the true age is a blessing though we can see a bumpy ride because Jun lost a timing to tell everyone the truth.
Anyway, I am not surprised if Jun fell in love with her at her concert( at least fell in love her piano). And meeting over and over with her and knowing her cemented his love for her as his destiny and he would do anything to win her over as he has the gust and matureness.
I just hope the tone of the drama and characters of Jun and Lara and their friends would not change as the drama progresses. So far I immensely enjoy watching DDSSLLS.

I don't think he is even trying to win her over. Funnily...
They are just in this creditor-debitor relationship, and he is trying to keep the composure, because he knows he has a crush on her, but he is still falling for her irresistible charms and he won't be able to scape,, because it is stronger than him😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😂🎊🎆🎉

I'm not sure why everyone is calling Rara immature. She might be naive and cutesy but she's far from immature. She knows exactly when, where and how to draw the line with people. She's sweet but never overbearing or overly dependent. She constantly works hard to repay her debt. Her responsibilities are very clear to her but she doesn't let them burden her. I would call her free spirited but not immature. I think she has the right amount of maturity for someone her age. Jun is the one who is more mature than his age but that's also because he's pretending to be an adult.

You are right. I regret calling Rara immature, by comparison....
And Jun not only is pretending to be an adult, but he is also traumatized by the death of his friend.
In a way, traumatic events seem to trigger some kind of maturity in people. We saw that in Park Soo ha in "I hear your voice". Of course, he was special for he could always listen to the inner voice of everyone....
But anyway, even without a special ability, traumatic experiences make you grow older faster.
So in general, I think Jun is ok for Rara... I am happy for them falling for each other as learning to care for each other. It is sweet.
And this kind of love and care, for that there is really no age.

You're right that free-spirited is the right term. Thinking back to when my friends and I were 24 in korean age - so at 23... what people our age were doing when not working at a job where we're at the bottom rung or going to grad school: clubbing and drinking too much and playing card and board games (while also drinking) during the weekends. What Ra-ra is doing is something to be more proud of.

It's a noona romance!!! One of my favorite Kdrma trope! Ahhhh I think I just loved it even more! 💙

Rara and Jun together - instant mood booster. Everytime they're both on-screen I feel butterflies.

I just hope this show does not end like the famous movie, La La Land. Please don't. I want my rainbows and butterflies until the end.

Noona romance is also something that I enjoy very much, although "Pretty noona" almost killed for me. 😒😒😒

Never watched la la land (the movie)... so I don't know....

Jun and Rara... they don't need to be carnal... Even just being there for each other and nice with each other is enough for me.

Both are alone and basically abandoned in this world, so... why does it have to be wrong for them to live together and exchange joys and pains, since it is only human that people seek companionship and it flourishes better with those we are compatible with???

Honestly I don't mind a platonic relationship between them even for years, because that's what they need before thinking in anything serious.

But anyway, let's wait and see... with this writer I also won't expect total platonic puppy love,, but I am sure they will be decent.
Let's keep the party running! 😅😆😄

Exactly. They've become family to each other, and that is so much more important now. They'll have plenty of time for their love to mature while Joon finishes high school and probably college. Once he's free of those obligations, I expect their relationship might change in tone very, very fast.

Not sure if there are attendance requirements. He missed months of school. Joon may have to redo 12th grade from the beginning or go the GED route?

GED route will be. I am sure.

24 / 2 + 7 = 19 or 24 - 7 x 2 = 34 ? ? ?
The age is not the only plot twist for me. Jun's mom doesn't seem to be evil and that thug looking man in black investigator is actually funny. Oh also that epilogue with Mimi lol.
That Great Traitor drama though with the female lead who seduced 3 men-tall guy, rich guy and handsome guy. (Jun, Dr. Cha & the stalker)
I watch each episode.at least 3x. This weekend I will rewatch ep 1-6 haha

X/2+7. Haven’t seen that in a LONG time!

The epilogue was Mimi was really LOL! That was the BEST twist! I was expecting the mysterious piano player to be the creepy stalker dude. I should have believed in Ra-ra when she was teaching Mimi piano.

She said Mimi is a genius!

Will Mimi fulfill everyone's wishes and dance to TWICE, use a handphone, or do factorization before the drama ends?

For other shows that wouldn’t be possible. But for this show, everything is possible so we shall see to that..

...I do not think "gang-banging" means what you think it means, @missvictrix! Think you meant something else, possibly "gangbusters"?

😬

Thanks for the recap. I was really enjoying the show, but the ML being a high schooler, it's too much for me. I know the age gap is not that big (just six years) and that RaRa isn't exactly mature, but... would we be so comfortable if she was 18 and lying and he was 24? The real difference is not 6 years, it's much more. If they both were 5 years older, it would be perfect for me, but not this. Not at all. And I feel like I'm betraying Lee Jae Wook and abandoning him on his lead debut, but I'm not going to continue watching. Please, forgive me, puppy.
If everything changes and we get that he is 21 years old, I will resume watching. So far, so long.

He is 19 years old, according to what the KBS page said. And considering that enough time has passed, I am sure she will be 20

One show: Goblin. Clearly people were very comfortable with a high schooler being the bride and in a relationship with a man that is thousands of years old. I found that quite uncomfortable. But I do see a bit of hypocrisy in the difference in response to both shows.

I wasn't comfortable at all. I blame myself looked aside because I'm in love with Gong Yoo, but it felt really, really, really weird and out of place. And also (as a weak defense), I didn't watch while airing so I knew about the time jump. If I could erase the teenager from Goblin it would be my favourite show ever. I can't, and so I will never rewatch.

Uh people despise that part of Goblin we have had arguments over it. People didn't bring it up here because the comparison is between shows that have minor male characters.

As I mentioned in another thread, I was slack jawed when they revealed he was still in high school. But like others have said it makes his nearly puppy adoration make sense. I think it was live at first sight for him when he saw her on her wedding day. It also makes him the same age as the daughter (19) which makes her massive crush on him less annoying. I’m REALLY hoping that he is closer to 20 then then 18, cause 20 is legal I believe and they would make it only a 4 year difference. That’s not a big gap in drama world but slightly creepy since he is still in school. Never the less I am really enjoying this drama with her cute students. But I believe the hair cut guy is her stalker we saw in an earlier ep, and the way he acted when the older landlord came in was telling. Also the look gramps shot him as he left means something too I think. I am eagerly waiting for next week!

He is in the 12th grade so this seems likely

When Jun was revealed to be a 18 or 19 year old high schooler I was astounded. And cannot understand it. There had better be a good explanation for why this is a good thing.

But, in truth I am more appalled by the sheer nastiness of his father.

Other than these things I am loving this show.

And his mom (whom I'm not even sure is his biological mom) was just standing there while his dad treated him like that. And now that he's gone, all she can think of is how his dad would react. It's one thing if your 24 year old son goes missing, but another thing if your 19 year old/HIGH SCHOOL son goes missing. He's spent at least a month in this town. And Ra-ra spent like a month in not-actually-her-apartment. So the beginning moments of episode 1 was 2 months ago at least.

Yeah I'm so shocked that they made the dad so mean in the flashback because literally ep 1-5 it's like they're setting the mom up to bend backwards to have her son home. I thought that the dad would at least like his son.

man I would run away too if my parents acted like this after my friend died.

Just a random comment, don’t you think the leads look so adorable in periwinkle outfits? I noticed that this show uses a lot of periwinkle color, and as I just love this color so much recently, it only adds to the charm of the drama.

Periwinkle, as I’ve researched it, it’s the color somewhere between purple and blue (can we call it ‘bluish purple’ or ‘purplish blue’?) like the background color of the banner at the top of this thread.

I haven't noticed the colors as much as the styles. Rara sometimes looks like a little girl playing dress-up, and sometimes her hair bows also really contribute to making her seem more of a girl in a woman's body.

Yes. The costume department is impressive in that respect: Both leads are dressed the way the character is. I am always envious of Ra-ra because of the many beautiful nightdresses she has! Can’t believe how many dresses/ outfits she has with her now with only a suitcase or two when leaving the house!

In my country by 18 you are already in uni and by 20 you are halfway finished with it. This, combined with the way both leads behave(Lala is the younger one, Joon the older one) and the actor real age( he doesn't look like a highschooler), made the reveal have almost 0 effect on me. It's fun reading how everyone is panicking though.

Lol, which is your country??
When I was young, I finished high school being 16. If I would have had parents, I could have started college being still 16 (my birthday is in December) and doing a technical degree I would have had finished being 19, but doing regular college education, except for medicine, law or architecture, I could have had finished being 21.
I wish I would have had responsible parents... my life would be very different now, because I really wanted to study back then.
And even thought I studied, I lost years only trying to enter college, because it was really so hard.

Anyway... this plot twist got me by surprised but didn't shook me in a negative way. I also believe he is more mature and I suppose I can trust the writer in regard to getting our OTP together by the end of the story.... 😆

Eastern Europe. You finish grade 12 at 18/19 and can go to uni the same year. Depending on your birthday date you can be an adult before finishing school( 18 is the legal age)

Ohh, me, I come from Venezuela. I was able to finish being 16 just because I skipped one year in middle school, long story. People usually finish high school at 17/18 as well. Can go to college directly if you have the chance.

Here in the Philippines, when I was 18 I was already halfway through college. That's before the government decided to add two more years in highschool. So Jun being 19 didn't bother me also.

What an uncomfortable plot twist! The writer sure shook things up. Poor Rara. She will find out she has been lied to and deceived. They will be forced to separate by his parents or maybe he will be sent to the military for two years, like in Flower Boy Ramyun Shop. She’ll have to stand on her own two feet and earn some real money. Good thing she still has her car.

The investigator his mom hired will find him soon, so they don’t have much time left together. There probably won’t be any kissing or skinship, since the truth has been revealed to the viewers. When he attempted a kiss, she head butted him, lol!

Given the light, youthful tone of the drama, it was definitely going to go the innocent route where a couple could satisfied just holding hands, giving hugs, and giving close-mouthed pecks (which is more in Go Ara's wheelhouse) and not the sexy-times route.

Ok. It's my time to give my humble opinion.
I don't care Joon is 17, 18 or 19 (most likely he is 19, by the way), but I don't care because by the time they get together for real and serious, he will be at least one or two years older? And at at least, again, people won't say he is minor.
Second: I also don't care he is younger because he is more mature than her.

Third: Joon and Rara are the reason I am watching this show.
I don't feel too much or not at all the connection with any other character.

Dr. Stalker is uncomfortable. I cannot imagine him dating Rara... just because, they won't match together, they are not compatible.

Now I understand, Korean rules, Joon has duties with his parents and he would have to choose something to study or learn or do, even if he would want to marry his crush in the distance future... I understand and I suppose they cannot live in a bubble forever....
But still, Rara cannot have a romantic relationship with the doctor. She already loves Joon, and not because he is helping her, but because they are very very compatible.

Exactly.

It was a very telling moment when she was having a meal with the doctor and she explained why she would feel comfortable to play piano while Joon was working, because she's, well, comfortable with him. But uncomfortable with the doctor. That isn't going to go away.

Everything Joon has done for her since she wound up in the hospital has been like a love letter, if only she could read it that way. When he has to leave, that's when she's going to realize just how huge a part of her life he became.

But k-drama rules: even if he has to go, they will keep in touch.
Knowing Rara I don't think she will be very upset he lied to her about his age... also he was lying to everybody about it because he was scaping from real family.... when everybody knows, they will understand, because it is perfectly understandable. Approve? That's different. You may not approve a behavior but you can understand it.
Rara won't hold any grudge. I know that.

“ Everything Joon has done for her since she wound up in the hospital has been like a love letter, if only she could read it that way.”

Wonderfully said!

Let me just concur @javinne with your comment. You covered the bases pretty well.
O/T. LJW was still 21 this year when WEATHER aired and in that drama he credibly played a character who was 28 or so. That was my first LJW drama. He has that deep voice and the way he was dressed he passed for an older person.
Now in DO DO he is passing himself off as someone 4 or 5 years older than his age. With that voice and maturity it works for me except when he is wearing especially running in those shorts. LOL those skinny legs!

Ha ha... I didn't even remember his legs, I think I never paid attention to those things unless they are shown for long time.
Oppas in the shower, usually you only get to see their backs and chests... lots of women ravelling and ravishing about it (depending on the oppa, of course), I usually feel nothing.
Oppas smiling, well there we're talking, I usually melt for a smile.
The best ones: Kim Min jae, Lee Jeong suk, Park Go bum and Jung Hae in...
Lee Jae wook is perfect for a tsundere-type of character. I think his smile is ok, but it is his actions what makes you fall for him.

In real life: actions is also what matters. But sadly most men in real life are not worth... 😂
That's also a reason why we are all here watching Korean dramas😆😆😆

I would add as an honorable mention to your ‘best’ smilers list: Yang Se-jong.

He is cute, yes. 30 but 17 was great.

It took a lot of talking myself into watching episode 6 after that reveal.
Apart from the unwanted and uncalled for plot twist with his age, this is my major complaint:

You have Lee (!) Jae (!) Wook (!) SINGING (!!) SOFTLY into his PPL phone and we don't get to hear his voice properly because the background soundtrack must play on all the while?? Why Drama (sound department) Why??? Whaeee?

(Please excuse my capital letters. I almost wrote the whole paragraph like this. It just makes me so ANGRY. And sad for the missed opportunity.)

All day Thursday, I was half-dreading watching Episode 6 and half-hoping it was a red herring, but then Joon confirmed his lie in the first three minutes, which caused me to watch the rest of the episode in a daze.

But when he started singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star," I shrieked, "Turn off the OST!! I can't hear Lee Jae-wook!!"

I guess I was on the opposite end of the spectrum. I LOVE him in this role, but once he started singing I was literally hoping that he wouldn’t continue the singing because it was so awkward and he seemed super shy 😅. AND I was legit glad that Ra-ra had fallen asleep by then.

That was the point. He's so shy and awkward, he can't even bring himself to say good night. We're not saying Lee Jae-wook is a good singer, but at least let us hear his voice without the OST playing in the background.

Hear, hear!

No wonder they chose Lee Jae Wook for this role! He's known to be looking older than his real age.

I'm going to assume that he's 19 and be okay with this 😭 Besides the legality issue, nothing wrong with a noona romance. Once he's no longer a minor, they can be together...right, right? 😭😭😭

Right!

I had been wondering what kind of 24 year old would be so close with 17 year old (biological age at which he friend died last December..so the friend died during their junior year) and then the situation presented itself in a different way with Joon and Ra-ra. I was disappointed that he's in a different stage in life (still a minor; he has run away to wait it out until he can be emancipated. But in the end, I'm still swooning over those two. They're just too damn adorable together. It's like watching the childhood backstory versions of some drama's main/adult couple. And I think there isn't that weird power imbalance either.

I guess there are worse age differences, like Goblin or Sweet 18 (where two families are totally in on it!)

I love the ever-expanding Joon fan-club at the sandwich shop and just the drama's world expanding. Now we have a little boy piano prodigy and grandpa has also entered Ra-ra world. Maybe even Dr.Cha's ex-wife who has made 2 trips to the salon/flowershop/piano building. Could deal without the stalker. May rewatch the early episodes to see if he shows up anywhere.

Regarding the stalker, is it possible that he is the person whose voiceover said something like I want this girl at her piano graduation ceremony? I also believe that he was the one who sent Ra-ra the first beauty box after he bought it from Jun’s shop and also that basket of flowers.

I remember him from the beauty shop, and great point about him possibly being the guy at the grad ceremony. I wonder if he was at the wedding too, like Dr.Cha and Joon.

Beanies:
Nobody remembers High School King of Savvy?
Dramaland did something like this 7 years ago, and although many people complained, others were ok with it...
Right now I am not saying it is good or bad, but at least it is not new.