Do You Like Brahms: Episodes 15-16 Open Thread (Final)

We’ve reached the end of our tale, and that means saying goodbye to two characters that we have all grown to love dearly. We’ve followed them through their ups and downs in love and in music, and in its final week Do You Like Brahms ties it all together in a lovely and appropriate ending.

EPISODES 15-16 WEECAP

It’s been a bleak journey of late for Joon-young and Song-ah, and although breaking up is what needed to happen, neither of them are any happier for it. We watch them going sadly through their days as if they’re in mourning for something. Their heartbreak extends to their music too, and both Song-ah and Joon-young (separately, but still so linked) make it known that they’re going to quit their respective instruments.

It’s a bit shocking for both, but in different ways. Music is a part of both of their identities — that goes without saying. But for Song-ah, giving up the violin feels like giving up her dreams; and for Joon-young, he’s not only giving up his livelihood, but his entire world. I didn’t expect either of them to be so forceful about their desires to renounce their music, but it struck a chord as it played out.

That desire to get rid of, or denounce, something, whether it makes you miserable or happy, is such a compelling response to their pain. It’s as if both of them are trying to root out the source of their unhappiness. I hate seeing them in pain, but it also made me hopeful that they might find their way back to each other.

We’ve been waiting since the start of the drama for the moment when Joon-young and Song-ah would play together, and this week, it finally happens. Even though Song-ah intends to quit the violin, she follows through with her graduate performance — though she changes her performance piece at the last minute from the Franck sonata… to Brahms. Oh, the metaphors!

What a gorgeous scene this is — I felt like the wait was worth it, because their performance is packed with so much emotion, even the horrid professors have to recognize it. Our couple is still very much broken up and broken-hearted at this point, but they’re able to put all that into their performance. It’s a recognition of everything that’s happened between them, and it also feels like a final goodbye.

But I’m not ready for a goodbye — and either is anyone else, really. Young-in’s face when she finds out they broke up was pretty much my exact face, and I love how the drama captured that something is not quite right with these two apart. They’re trying to do what’s right, and protect themselves from pain, or hurting each other, but it’s not really working.

After the recital, Song-ah is looking gorgeous and ethereal in her gown, and the emotions between her and Joon-young in her dressing room are palpable. She turns to leave, sure she needs to say goodbye, but his beautiful confession makes her turn around. He’s so earnest, and so obviously lost without her, how can she not be moved? They come to an understanding here — Song-ah asks him for time, and asks if he can wait for her. It’s a great reversal of their first confession, and works to bring everything full circle.

Our finale week does such a nice job of showing the passage of time, without doing a big time jump, and without feeling rushed. The pace is such that you can feel the healing and maturing happening while Joon-young and Song-ah resolve the other conflicts in their personal lives. The death of Director Nah signals the end of an era almost, and though everyone is mourning her greatly, it’s as if the past that caught Joon-young, Jung-kyung, and Hyun-ho in a quagmire was gently put aside.

There’s an interesting subtlety in how the past tension between our trio is healed over. With time, maturity, and life experience, they’re slowly able to resolve their conflicts and move on, and even play together. Despite feeling stung by Jung-kyung again and again during the course of this story, I found I forgave her at the end; I liked the glimpses of the more mature woman we see at the end of our tale.

Do You Like Brahms has been a story that’s a lot about goodbyes — whether that’s to people, or chapters in our lives, or things that we loved and had to let go of. For Song-ah, this means saying goodbye to her precious violin. This part of the story is couched in a way that I quite like: just like an unrequited love, Song-ah says that she loved the violin more than it loved her. Because it’s time for her to move on, she’s able to let go of it.

I expected this to come, since we were never presented with a way for Song-ah to find success as a professional musician. Instead, she winds up where I secretly wanted her: working with Young-in at Kyunghoo. By the end of our story Song-ah seems content there, as with her decision, but there’s certainly something bittersweet about it. And bittersweet feels just right, since it was a love affair she had to chose to end in order to be happy.

The same sort of argument is used with Joon-young and Song-ah’s relationship — the trials they’ve been through make it bittersweet, but in the end they realize that the joy they received from each other out-weighed the hardships.

Song-ah has to mature and face her insecurities, but Joon-young also has things to learn before he can find his way back to Song-ah as well. It was satisfying to see him encourage his mother to divorce, to permanently break from Professor Yoo, and to choose not to compete anymore, instead focusing on performances that make him happy.

He creates a recital, the entire scope of which is basically a love letter to Song-ah. It pulls in all the things we know about Joon-young, and how he speaks through his music, and he bravely puts his heart out there on the stage. Each piece he plays is a huge metaphor for how he feels about Song-ah, and the Brahms-Clara-Schumann rhetoric confirms everything we need to know. Joon-young is now complete and whole enough to win Song-ah’s heart back.

Despite the fact that I can’t figure out why Song-ah wasn’t present for Joon-young’s entire love confession recital (why, story?), she catches the parts that matter, and her heart is so overcome that they’re ready to join hands again. After some heartfelt tears and kisses in the dressing room, that is.

Do You Like Brahms took us on a journey with our characters, and though at times it was a bit tormented, I like the way we’ve come full circle. The drama didn’t try to wipe out the pain and conflicts that our couple faced — problems weren’t quickly washed away and forgotten, and their past heartbreak still left scars. Instead, the message was that love was more important than all of these things, and I found this a rather poignant point to end on.

Our characters have changed a lot from when we met them in the summer, all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. At the close of our story, the season has changed as much as they have changed. What they’ve experienced forced them to grow (and endure a lot of growing pains), and also led them to each other in the end.

To the drama that made us look forward to months of Mondays — and that told us it’s okay to have baggage and make mistakes, and that there’s still magic out there — thank you, Brahms.

Tags: , , , ,

And a standing ovation to you @missvictrix - great job on the recaps!

So, so much that could be said! Masses I loved, bits that frustrated me. But the standouts came in the last minutes of Ep16 for me, so I'm just going to celebrate them here!

Maybe my favourite moment of episode 16 was the juxtaposition of the two CDs. Such a great summary of the way JY had changed – from a formal concert setting, his melancholic demeanour and being stuck on Schumann to his favourite place to walk with SA, that glorious smile and free to play Brahms. His personal message to SA on the latter was the icing on the cake – what a sweetie!

Actually, it’s a dangerous thing to try and choose a favourite moment! Another contender would be their discussion in the tteokbokki place – I loved the way SA just kept sweetly but insistently asking if he was sure about level 3, helping JY to get used to stating his preferences and not just giving way to others automatically. Such a lovely relationship – the way they want to help each other to grow.

Or JY adding SA’s name to the poster about the concert – he wants to hold her up high and is immensely proud of her, seeing her skill in concert-planning as a skill equal to his own and JK’s and HH’s. Dead right – we don’t all do the same thing, but we can all do our own thing to an excellent standard.

Ready to join the debate on all the rest of it - Brahmsie beanies, do your thing!

Thank you for the recaps, @missvictrix! I loved how you articulated most of what we feel about the drama and kept us fed with more DYLB content during the week. ☺️

Seeing the character development of Joon-young made me so happy 😊 , in episode 15 (I think?) when JY broke down and cried to his Mum of how hard everything was I really felt for him so I’m so glad he was able to be free of his troubles and able to play Brahms freely now

Certainly one of my favorite moments: as Joon-Young was about to play his encore, the truly silly thought popped into head that he was about to break into Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. This is what happens when I watch too many dramas at the same time.

2020 has been a yawning maw of suck but some really heart-sustaining dramas have come out this year: Unfamiliar Family, When My Love Blooms and this wonderful gem. Although I really do wish the show had taken my advice and thrown in some torturers for those characters who so richly deserved some pain...make that excruciating pain.

bwahaha! thought of the same thing about Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

I honestly thought he was drawing a mustache or something on the poster. Then I realized that this was Joon Young, not Kim Min Jae. Only Kim Min Jae would draw a mustache. Lmao.

I loved that 2 CD moment too- and the more so because the second CD was Joon-young playing Brahms.

But to me the highlight of the last episode was Joon-young's recital- his musical declaration of love to Song-A. I agree with Miss Victrix that the fact that Song_A was not in the hall itself for the last two numbers was a bit of a (very minor) miss-step - but this was made up for by the way that the scene afterwards in the ready room was so very well done - with Song-A telling Joon-young that she loves him and that the joy of being with him outweighs the pain she has felt. The fact that he says 'I love You' back to her four times was so wonderful and a bit funny at the same time- it was just so poignant.

Yes it was odd that she wasn't there for most of the concert - but maybe it was so he could play his feelings so strongly even if she wasn't there. That is the only reason I can figure the writer didn't have her in the audience.

The last piece he played made me tear up as well, so watching her clutch at her chest was perfect.

After a little more thought I think I see what the director chose to have her outside looking at the monitor rather than inside. Cinematically we could actually see her reaction better this way and then, when she finally joins Joon-young in the ready room, her confession of love is just that much more powerful.

Put it like this: Rather than just seeing her sitting in the audience we see her alone- and thus she is the entirety of the shot- just as we see Joon-young at the center of his shots on the stage. It actually emphasized the idea that he was really just playing for her at that moment and no one else- even though he thought she was not even there.

The direction and cinematography in this drama was top-notch- and it really showed here.

YESSSSS, YESSSS, preach to my show-biased ears. I love it!! And subjectively and objectively agree! :)

i feel like SA was late for the concert for 1) dramatic tension to make JY appear more nervous; 2) dramatic effect 'cause SA standing looks better than SA sitting; 3) minor connection to the theme of "standing on one's two feet"; and 4) stans like me to reveal our heavy biases hahaha. "yes, director-nim, you can do no wrong. yes, i'll pickup your coffee now." :)

Hear hear! Difficult to pin point the best scene in the final episode. Hats off to our main leads, Park Eunbin and Kim Minjae for allowing us to meet these 2 imperfect people just wanting to love and to dream. It was extra sweet to share the journey with THE BRAHMSIES! Yey! 🥳
Thank you @missvictrix for the recaps!!

i thought it was important for SA to come in late to his recital as it reflected how she was almost late to realizing his immense love for her. but nevertheless she still finally recognized it , which brings us back to what she said in the end.

"Rather than the pain I felt while I loved him, I finally realized that the consolation and happiness I felt while I loved him was much bigger."

thank you @missvictrix your recaps were so reflective of all the important messages and meanings behind DYLB, i loved how you always wrote with such precise and intricate understanding of the story and characters <3

I loved two CDs too, so I wanna get it... but unfortunately, it was for usage in drama purposes only. Hahaha.

Thanks for having a wonderful time from @missvictrix for quick weecaps which began on episode 2 onwards and aside from my completed accomplishment on watching all DYLB episodes, here are my three favorite DYLB moments: (1) romance of SA and JY when ice cream fell down, (2) waiting of SA and JY at the airport and last, not at the least, (3) the last week's big breakup of SA and JY (which I struggled to continue watching DYLB before my successful all-episodes watching).

i think they are releasing the Brahms album, but only limited to 715 copies (😉 at 715)

Haha unfortunately that post was just a joke! The words in the brackets say that it's a lie and that JY's Brahms album is SA's one and only limited edition hehe

omg! thanks for this, i was leggit thinking if i should get 1 album LOL.

wish it was real! i would buy more than one for sure!

Kim Min Jae is an amazing actor. His portrayal of Joon Young made me fall so much in love. This is the first time a drama had affected me this way. I’m swooning everytime he’s on screen. My God that voice. I’ll come back to write once I’m done swooning.

And how did that baby face have such manly hands?! 😍 and I got my wish to finally see him in a black turtleneck ☺️

Glad I'm not the only one noticing KMJ gorgeous hand. Those long fingers 🥰

When he said “I love you” to SA I just exploded, his voiceee ❤️

Actually, I think that was the sexiest scene. Again, same words but said differently, and the last one, said as a whisper, before and after passionate kisses. I spontaneously combusted.

I was screaming 'Nado, saranghae' to my screen and woke up my son beside me 😂 I fell in love with him (and EunBin) more when I saw the making for Song-ah's recital. Insane talent!!!!

Thank you for the wonderful recap missvictrix..

It has finally ended!.. My heart is full of happiness for our characters, I actually cried. It has been a while since I am so invested in drama characters. I thank "Do You Like Brahm" for bringing me back all those feels.. I will miss our dimple couple so much

Oh the parallels! The music! The confessions! I love how the writer wrapped up the story in the last two episodes! It is indeed appropriately titled, General Pause (to rest) and Crescendo (to build up).

I’ll use Song Ah’s quotes on what I loved about the drama about 1) how much you’ll love is never determined at the beginning and 2) the happiness and consolation I received while I loved was bigger than the pain.

It was a beautiful journey with DYLB and also alongside with the Brahmsie Beanies. You guys make the drama more fun to watch! While the JoonSong ship has docked, my BinJae ship is still sailing. LOL. I hope Min Jae and Eun Bin will work on another project together soon, and brava to the actors, writer, director and the production team! 👏👏👏😭😭😭❤️❤️❤️

Omg I think I'm more invested in the BinJae ship. I can't figure whether Min Jae is just a big flirt/playboy in general, putting up a show for the camera, or genuinely falling for Eun Bin. Anyhow, if Eun Bin doesn't get fluttered by this amount of "baits", power to Eun Bin. Cause I know I for one is loosing my head over Min Jae's actions.

I know right?! In his interviews, he’s describing Eun Bin as a strong person; maybe he’s talking about the walls he’s trying to bring down. 😂🤣 I prefer to believe he’s fallen in love haha because he cried and I saw that verrryyy tight hug after they filmed that last scene. 🙈😍

About that hug though. How he tucked his face in her chin was the penultimate moment I realized that I was indeed shipping them in real life. That was a definite moment for the two main leads when they knew that their drama is over.

Kyaaaaaaa would love to see that tightttt hug.. Can you please leave a link or direct me where to find that video

@orientedstar125 it’s on his and her tagged photos on their IG account 😊 a lot of people have been posting and commenting on it.

There’s a kissing scene BTS too and MY GOD IM—

There is? NO WAY!! (trying hard to act oblivious so I have an excuse to rewatch the BTS again)

*clicks on link to watch*

I loved this drama so much. I started it after beanies were squealing over it and when I watched the trailer I got hooked instantly. Though I didn't expect the angst over the last few episodes I was okay with it because it was believable for the most part. I can't decide whom I love more joon young or song ah. Both moved me equally (maybe I'm biased towards joon young coz kim min jae's puppy eyes). The ending is very satisfying but would it have killed them to include few more fluffy scenes. And the kiss scene was gold! This is my first time looking forward to the bts scenes after every episode. Kim minjae and park eun bin chemistry off screen too is sizzling. And I'm actively shipping them both. Thank you team for a wonderful drama despite its many flaws. Do you like brahms? Yes yes!!

OMG @missvictrix, thank you for the beautiful final recap!

I've been struggling to think of writing something for the final episodes, but I came up empty, as Mr. Knightley has put it "If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more". I just love you too much, show! It's really hard to say goodbye.

Overall, it wasn't the smoothest ride, my poor heart was being dragged through all the extremes, but in the end this experience is something that will stay with me for a long time. I've always loved a drama that managed to keep me invested until the very end. Definitely one of my favourites of the year and one of the most favourite couples ever!

And thank you all Brahmsie Beanies, it's been really fun hanging out with everyone. Here's to hope we can reunite on a new ship very soon!!

thank you thank you thank you. i will always remember you Brahms.
this episode felt like a long poem i never wanna stop reading.

Can I just say how thankful I am that we got such an ending after god knows how many eps of angst lol. My only gripe is that they didn't reconcile earlier in ep 16 (wanted to see more swoon-worthy moments between the both of them).

As much as people wanted HH to ditch JY, I sorta expected them to get back together in the end(at least the writer gave them an open ending). The proposal scene was very sudden (not complaining though lol), too bad the drama had so many scenes that didn't make it to the aired version :/ SBS released the still image of JY shopping for the wedding ring, what a shame that the scene wasn't shown in the last ep.

I felt that the 4 remaining leads (especially MS and DY) had too little plot development/scenes. Felt like the Chairwoman was the 2nd lead of the drama instead.

DYLB is the first ever k-show in 2020 that I didn't actively fast-forward, Mon and Tues will no longer be the same now that DYLB has finished airing :(

I thought the actress playing JK was unfortunately bit ham-strung towards the end of the show after a few episodes of interesting character development. The open ending with HH gave me mixed feelings, but a least it was clear that he was coming back as a whole, non-subservient person, and I thought she played the moment very well - happy to see him with some vulnerability and awareness of her mistakes clear on her face.

Yes, that was one of the things I liked less about the episode. We just had no idea why HH came back - he'd made a clear decision to break it all off and go abroad, he'd come back to finish off the last performance of the trio for Director Noh's memorial. No other reason to return - so why did he?

They would have done better to just show her moving into her new chapter as a teacher, I think. But at least that moment only lasted a few seconds and there was no dialogue to compound it, I guess?

I thought that he came back for their trio. That in and of itself speaks to his new position. Yes, he is happy to see her, but he has come back for professional reasons and his friendship with both JY and JK (which is why they have continued the trio) and if it becomes something more...

I really liked her though (despite all the shitty things she has done lol), would have love to see her smile brightly for once. I think the only time she smiled happily was at the flashback scenes with HH, she looked sullen in almost all the 16eps lmao.

I really liked the actress for some reason, so I was always hoping they would do more with her character. They could have done more with HH, too.

We can only hope that both characters reunite in another drama lol. Or maybe a DYLB sequel haha

I really like her, too. I thought she was solid in both this and in Rookie Historian. She played quieter, serious characters in both - I'd like to see her in something where she's more cheerful and animated.

So much to say about the last episode, I LOVED IT, in episode 15 when JY confessed to SA I was like YES get back together! but SA asked for more time and that was understandable, and then the last episode when SA said I love you to JY and JY said it back like 4 times omgg (I realise this is a parallel to episode 8 when JY confessed and wouldn’t stop saying I like you to SA before they kissed 😍)

I really appreciate the way the writer dealt with their break up. Although I’m not one to hate on a kdrama break up, I absolutely hate when the last episode is filled with our leads apart, a time skip happens and then they magically get back together (I just recently finished Find Me In Your Memory and that was the case)

But instead SA came to realise on her own how much JY loves her (Park Eun-bin’s expression in the scene where JY was playing Widmung was just fantastic) and when they kissed I exploded..

This drama made me rediscover PEB and KMJ, I’m really looking forward to their future projects but this one will always have a special place in my heart.

This show tormented us almost as much as our characters but in the end we got to see our lovely couple not just back together but finally standing on solid ground.

It is always darkest just before the dawn- and that is exactly the point where our couple was when these last episodes started. It was a logical separation- and gave both of them time to reflect and get their priorities straight. When they came back together it was because both had sorted a lot of things out.

Why has Joon-young not quit the piano after all? It is because of the things Song-A told him. He is only the first artist that she will help in the years ahead. It helped a lot that Young-in was able to explain to her that this is what Song-A can do that almost no one else can- she does have a remarkable gift when it comes to helping the performers- something far beyond just making arrangements, booking halls and selling tickets. Song-A’s feet are now set on the path that fits her true talents, which are actually quite rare because they depend upon things like empathy, integrity and courage.

Seeing Joon-young telling his mom to get a divorce was a joy. I am not a fan of divorce- but here it is necessary- and simple recognition of the truth that Dear Old Dad stopped being either a husband or a father long ago. A real man is first and foremost responsible- and Joon-young’s dad was irresponsible to the point of being infantile. In contrast Joon-young took it upon himself to tell his mother a truth that she needed to hear- this was an act of real responsibility.

This show grabbed my heart in a way that very few have done. I may have complained at times about the pain but in a way that simply showed how real this story was. I am very glad that I watched it.

Absolutely: I echo your last line. Very glad that I watched it.

i really have no words for how much i love this drama. it resembles life in so much way, flawed but the journey is worthwhile. there are people that want to move on and be a better person then they want like JY, SA, HH but there are people that stay the same like those professors. i like that not all of them got plot development. not all of them deserve it. i learn so much from this drama and it may topped in my list for drama this year. DYLB, im so glad i have watched you! Thank youuu!!

I wish there were more scenes of our leads being adorable together. But I can understand the time constraints. I still wish JK didn't have such an easy way out after everything she put the leads through. Even though she lost the job at the university, she still got it somewhere else. Although she became lot more likeable in the last 2 eps, it's a little hard for me to believe she changed so much so soon. And the sudden change in demeanor of jiwon's mom was also a little hard to believe. I think again because of time constraints they couldn't show the whole process of her finally realising that her daughter was miserable. I wish they could've altogether just deleted that scene if they were not even going to show jiwon. I would have liked to see more of our leads. But can't say I'm not happy with the ending. The show made me sad in the second half but somewhat made up for it in the last 20 mins. And the performance and the confession!!! Just amazing. Looking forward to more of PEB and KMJ's works in the future.

A show that suffered in giving focus on the side characters. They weren't interesting enough and more like annoying devices to make our OTP suffer.

PEB & KMJ's chemistry was what made me stick with this till the end. SA & JY was a lovely awkward at first couple. I'll remember the smiles, hand holdings and kisses for Brahms and forget the side characters.

*imagining SA&JY touring with their little kids while they play violin and piano for them*

Your 1st para!! precisely what I feel. Such a pity that the writer didn't develop the side characters as much as our OTP. But like what someone has mentioned here, I think it's due to time constraint that we can't have the best of both worlds :(

Maybe it's time constraint or they could have given us more OTP instead of giving screen time to annoying side characters xD

Yea, prof duster and JK's prof especially *roll eyes*

I cried more when Song ah had to say good bye to her violin than when she broke up or made up with Joon young. But I am more attached to music than I could ever be to a man (even if that man is so handsome and charming like Kim Min jae), so you guys will understand.😅
Still, I was happy she forgave him and came back to him for they are perfect for each other.
Well done Brahms.
There was a lot of unnecessary bitterness and pettiness with the toxic environment at that university, but our leads got out of there, and finished what they started..
I was so happy when Joon young told his mom to get a divorce....
And so happy when Song ah declined keeping on studying there!

All in all the show was realistic in many ways, and that's the reason I stayed in this ship until the end...

I say good bye with a quiet heart.

Than you beanies... All who stayed with me in this journey!

Love you all!!!

I was actually shocked that she sold her violin. Yes, I can see it as a way of physically separating from her past aspirations and dreams, but yikes... I still have my viola, unplayed for a decade or two now but I just could never, ever sell it. It would be like selling off an old friend; I never had an adversarial relationship with my instrument, I fully understood that the deficiencies were all mine.

i do agree that there are some part that i feel unnecessary, but the comfort and happiness that i feel while watching the drama is bigger, that is the reason for me to watch until the end

I am disappointed.
I am actually exhausted. I just wanted to be over with, so I can move on.

You dont give me +8 episodes of frustration, agony, sadness and then try to solve everything in the last 20 minutes of the last episode. I am sorry, this is a hard pass to me. As much as I liked the first episodes, I would like my 16 hours back, the level of frustration that this drama brought on me, not only for the main couple, but side characters and here, we have in the last episode, finally they all playing music together. No, thanks.

I'll be avoiding this writer in the future. Only my love for KMJ and PEB saw me through this. I suffered less than you because I decided to fast forward quite a bit after episode 8.

Everything and Nothing or Seventeen-Year-Old's Condition written by Ryu Bo-ri was amazing. Do You Like Brahms? was not.

hi panshel,

will check out your recommendation for this writer, maybe the short episode count would be better. thank you!

One of my all-time favorite drama specials. Yoon Chan-young and Park Si-eun cameoed in Do You Like Brahms? as a favor to writer Ryu Bo-ri and PD Jo Young-min.

I'm planning to be unforgiving, at least for now.

I second you on that. Although, I have to admit, not only did I fast forward, I skipped episodes 11-13 and read missvictrix's lovely reviews instead. That prolonged agony was not worth it.

I also cheated and skipped episodes 11-14. Looks like we missed the stormy part of the show.

I wouldn't say they have us +8 episodes of frustration and agony. Our OTP saved most of those +8 hours by being nice to each other even when they were in a disagreement, and what couple doesn't disagree while getting to know each other???
And that playing music together didn't happen overnight... the last episode portrayed at least 6 or 7 months in the lives of our characters.

I agree, for instance, that JK's and HH's arcs were not developed a they could have... the writer was lacking in that regard.
But again... our otp did a good job and had also great moments.
Better dramas in regard to secondary characters or storytelling don't have so many nice moments between the leads....

Wow, what a ride. I'm truly impressed by how well the last two episodes were done, especially 16. I was afraid they would pull at When the Weather is Fine and do weird things with time and space to tie up all the loose ends, but they did a pretty good job of showing us progression and resolution (and a beautiful ending).

The convo between SA and Team Leader Cha when she asked SA to join the institute was one of my favorite moments of the ending. We have probably all seen a dream die, and we have certainly all had low moments of our lives. What beautiful perspective that, perhaps, those moments are simply the start of a new crescendo. I will try to remember that.

I liked seeing how both SA and JY are much wiser and know themselves much better now, and how that's having a positive influence on their relationship. They understand now that they individually are much more resilient when they act with agency than they thought, and therefore their relationship is, too. And I liked how the ending makes it clear that though life may not turn exactly how you dreamed it can nonetheless be wonderful and fulfilling. There are other dreams to be had. Releasing those that never sprout is necessary to planting new ones, I suppose. As missvictrix says, bittersweet but real life in all it's imperfect glory.

My only real quibbles are that the angst compounded to the point of stagnation for me. I understand what the writer was doing, but it just became too much for me to watch the wheels spin so painfully for so long. The other is that I'm truly disappointed in the JK character arc. They really got my hopes up in the first 2/3 of the show, and at one point I was more interested in her than SA. They sort of salvaged her in the end, but I wish they hadn't pushed it off the cliff and then make her scramble back up at the very end.

But I'm glad I watched, and mostly I'm glad I watched it with all of you! I wouldn't have made it across this ocean of melo without my fellow beanies on board. I love all the discussion, dissection, joy and angst of our discussions, and I'm ready to buy my ticket for the next ride. <3

I think you raise a good point about JK that I'm still wrestling with. I too felt disappointed that she was in the middle of the Professor Yoo/Traumerei scandal and eventually told SA. It didn't have to be this way. SA could've found out through Simon or gossiping ladies on campus.

But I also kinda like how they made JK see things differently due to grief over granny. I liked that instant transition from bish, grief to growth. As someone who has experienced that same exact transition, I felt it was real and was thus overall satisfied by JK.

But still, ugh, it could've been even better. The love triangle would've had more tension if JK was just a better person! Plus, I stan JK in real life and as a violinist in those final music performances. Still wrestling (as you can tell haha) ...

They gave her a lot more nuance in the beginning, and that arc with the student was interesting. The master class with SA remains one of my favorite scenes of the show. Whenever she was teaching, the actress was able to show a really interesting facet of the character. I would have liked to have seen more, because by the time she dropped the Traeumeri bomb she had become too 3D for a villain trope like that. I was bummed, but I was okay with the ending. Mostly because I was just a bit exhausted by the end. :-)

I just breathed a sigh of relief that they didn't slap her together with HH at the end. She didn't deserve him, and it looked like he realized it at last, too. Personally, I did not see that ending as open-ended; he gently exited stage left which is the best for all since she is one of those people who will maybe never learn how to give properly.

It was 2 great episodes! I loved JY and SA playing together! I was really afraid it won't happen. but seeing together on stage at least once was really nice! The scene after too. SA showed to JY he needs to play for him and the public will follow it. JY never played for him before, it was for the money and he always tried to please people without thinking to himself. He did all a program for SA and people loved it. I don't think he will need the competition to find a public now he found his piano.

SA accepting the violin is not her future was sad but I don't know why she had to sell it... I don't play piano anymore but I have still one in my bedroom. Except she needed money urgently, she could keep it and still play for an orchestra amateur, I don't understand the "all or nothing"...

Their reunion was the best part of course :D We really needed it after all the depressing part! I loves the fact he put her ring at the right hand like if she still plays violin.

For the drama itself, I love it even the sad sad sad parts. I think it was hard to watch because the writer, the PD and the actors made it very well. The doubts, the pain, the silences, everything had a sense for the characters and didn't happen suddenly. They had to win over their issues before to be ready to have this beautiful relationship.

I really liked we had classical music until the end! The different ways they used the story of Brahms with the 2 trios, but with SA and her violin too.

I will miss it the next Monday-Tuesday.

With reference to your 2nd para, I read from some other site that that scene was an insinuation that she had decided to close that particular chapter of her life (of her being a violinist) and that she would rather pass on her beloved violin to someone whom she believes will do a better job in caring for her violin.

A tad extreme but quite a predictable move, considering SA's character.

I think that you are right about why she did it but cannot help but agree with Kurama that it was not necessary. But maybe she also needed to do it simply to focus on her new path.

For me, it was kinda a little bit too dramatic when it wasn't necessary. But I understand the reason.

Lol, same. For me it was not only unnecessary and dramatic, but just ultra cheesy. (It didn't help that I watched TwoSet Violin's review of Episode 1, where they shredded the scene of saying "I love you" to your violin).

That leads me to another point that bothered me: the whole "winding down" from practice. It's actually really easy to stop practicing LOL. You just... stop. It's not something addictive you need to stop gradually to avoid withdrawal. However, someone who really loves playing like Song-ah (as she said throughout the whole drama) doesn't just stop playing FOREVER. Too dramatic for my taste. There is no reason she can't continue playing at home just for the fun of it, or take private lessons with Jung-kyung.

I'm just gonna sulk in my corner because I don't believe in this "all or nothing" approach, and that if I can't play professionally I should sell my piano and never touch it again. Humph.

@wishfultoki I will plop down next to you and sulk as well. Totally unnecessary, somewhat baffling, definitely manipulative, and ultra cheesy. Keep the freaking instrument and play for fun. Take it out once in awhile and play for your children! Join a trio! Sheesh.

My best friend and I are both piano teachers. Her comment about passing on the violin was "what??!! You never give up a beloved instrument, because later on you'll want to play it again". Those of us who know we'll never be concert pianists usually become teachers. I guess that's how I figured her ending job would be, regardless of the love story.
But wow, I never thought I'd become such an Kim Minjae fan!

100% I didn’t get that either. Especially how they emphasized that she compared to everyone else truly loved her instrument. Also, she got into grad school, so there was a path with violin. It’s nice that she work with him now and he’s not lonely on the road anymore, but find it interesting it echoed that prof snarky comment about how traveling musician needs a good wife. 🙃 I feel like that argument is pretty weak about the violin needing a new owner since we’ve established that she loves it. Especially since her struggling with music is from people criticizing her. But when she was encouraged she was able to get into school for music. If you can unrealistically show them playing together with no practice, doesn’t seem too far-fetch she couldn’t have done something related to violin now with his support.

That professor was being an asshole. Musicians travel a lot so its easier for them to date and marry people who understand them. That is why many artists end up marrying somebody they work closely with because it takes a lot for another working person with ambition to adjust to their level of touring, there's also the finance side of it all. Its just simply not possible to date and build relationships that easily otherwise. Celine Dione married Rene Angelil, Hilary Hahn too is married to another musician.....doctors marry doctors, not by choice but because certain careers come with a unique set of circumstances and only somebody from your field may get it to stick around long term.

That's fair and I agree about about one partner needing to adjust, especially since he's already the established working musician.

I just don't know how I feel about the messaging though, where she was told by all sides she was not good enough or should quit, and she ends up doing just that literally by selling something that was very much her identity. Her ambitious becomes secondary so that she can be with him by becoming his manager (yes it's cute he puts the ring on her right hand - and she'll always be a violinist etc). And of course her skills in management and planning is just as important. But it's like whynotboth.jpg, it would be so great to see them just play together for themselves considering music was suppose to be a way to express their love to each other.

Alas for the show, having her sell is more is visually more effective in conveying a new phase in her life. But boy does it not align with the messaging about following your heart.

Plenty of people play without making it into a career....for Song Ah she wanted to be a career musician but she just wasn't good enough to get a position in a orchestra or chamber music or plenty of other places that the show ignore. So, its not like she gave up playing to be with Joon Young. I think where the show did a bad job was at fleshing out where Joon young started playing again. There was a time jump but we just didn't realize it. And I am pretty sure Song Ah is not his manager, more like she is a part of the institute now in a position left open by Simon that is organizing concerts, galas etc. I think that's a pretty good job to do if you aren't playing music and she looked happy doing it. She made a realistic decision. She can still climb up the food chain where she is employed now. There's plenty of places where you can show yourself, shine and you know be ambitious. That's the way I saw it. But I agree this whole world asking her to quit playing left a bitter taste. I wanted to smack each person who said it, I mean like why? Music is food for your soul, why should you totally give up on your instrument, play for yourself, play for your happiness. I just hated this part.

But they sort of went with the middling ground where they had her get accepted in grad school which means she's good enough and she could have continued her craft. Maybe I am ignorant to all the paths for music - like you mentioned there are other spaces the show didn't talk about.
But they also made it as if grad school was also a viable option to continue.

I also think it's good career choice for her to be a coordinator given her degrees in business and music. And she definitely can climb up the corporate ladder. But her selling her violin doesn't ring true considering the first half of the show.

Yah the time jump tripped me up. I just interpreted SA being a manager because it was set up kind of weird. With the foundation coordinator telling her there's only a part time available and she might not get it. Also implying when JY quit, Chris got mad enough that Simon went to ask if his position was still open. Plus all those scenes where she coordinates everything for him.

as a DYLB stan, i LOOOOVE this convo about whether SA should've sold her violin, and it will keep me up at night for the next 2 nights ... i know it hahaha.

and i want to add the extra random layer of context to this convo is that the "i love you" or in this case, "goodbye" to the violin's f-hole is also one of the most mockable parts of this otherwise not too-overdramatic drama. 'cause it was brutally attacked by twostep violin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Npbrq53eM

so, this extra layer makes me wonder if the violin had to be sold even more!!! AAHHH!!!

Oh no, I didn't want to be responsible for your lack of sleep! 😅

no worries. i was just kidding ... kinda. 🤭

Haha it def has kept me up. After I finished it, I was like so cute. But that scene just kept replaying it in my mind and I'm wondering why they would do that!
Also, glad in seeing the conversation about this, nice to see both sides. I was checking Reddit when it came out and no one even mentioned her selling the violin.

I saw the twostep video too, that scene is forever marred by their commentary for me ahah. It makes sense now that she has to break up with her unrequited love...

I actually cried during that scene. And now I realized people think it shouldn’t have happened?! 😆 I feel a little duped but never mind, still love you show. I’ll just think Dong Yoon thought like you guys and just kept it and not sold it when she comes to realize what you all guys said later on. ☺️

This could be a DYLB sequel, @ltung23! SA realizes her mistake but could not find her original violin as DY had sold it. She finally gets a new one but it’s not the same. Years passed and she’s an old granny at her 75th birthday. LOL. Her dimpled 12-year -old granddaughter plays for her and as soon as she hears the sound, she knows. It’s her old love. 😂😂😂

LMAO FANFIC ALERT FANFIC ALERT FANFIC ALERT!!! granny SA speaks to the f-hole, "is it you?? IT IS YOU!! hello old friend." *cue jo yuri's "my love," as SA and violin skip along the stone wall

LOL to the f-hole! Hahaha! 🤣😂 ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

i cried too. i was thankfully so absorbed in PEB's performance that i didn't think about 2set at all. and yes, the fanfic side of me thinks DY keeps it and gives it it to SA as a wedding gift, as a bridge for SA to DY (THE SAGA CONTINUES!)

Whaaa??! DY still holds a torch all this time? 🥺 poor guy. He could end up with Taeyeon in your JY-Koop collaboration fanfic 😂😆

I had some mixed feelings about this drama throughout the weeks, but I am glad I stuck with it. There was so much heartbreak and healing. Like others I liked how they had a natural progression of time in which to heal and grow, and even remain sort of friends before getting back together. I think it was one of the more realistic depictions of a couple reuniting, that they both knew they needed to grow and realise exactly what was important to them in order to be happy. I was very pleased with the ending and happy for our couple

I was also pleased by the surprisingly adult and realistic way they handled relationships; rather than slapping everyone into pairs for a 'happy ending' we got the two secondary couples parting ways - or at least not together - and mom hopefully divorcing from Spendthrift Dad (who did not even show up for his son's grad recital). And I really like the fact that our lead couple has not reached the acme of their relationship, but have realized that all really great relationships are 'works in progress.'

I cannot put into words what this drama meant to me. It echoed my own fears and dreams, the courage I so desperately wish to grasp, and the self-love I want to master. My heart went out to both Song Ah and Joon Young from the very beginning. I saw myself in the way they yearned and longed for each other and their dreams, in the clumsy but brave way they tried to navigate the world of music and love, the way they hurt themselves because they didn't wish to hurt one another.

Through a lot of external and internal torment, Song Ah and Joon Young have finally experienced the fruit of their growing pains. Song Ah learnt what true courage was - courage to let go and find happiness somewhere else, even if her world would look quite different. Joon Young, on the other hand, finally realised the reason for his lonely solitude and misery - he did not allow himself to chase after happiness. He let it pass him by, as if he didn't deserve it. But it was when he boldly proclaimed his love to Song Ah that I realised Joon Young finally knew - it's never too late to chase it now. "I want to be happy."

My favourite scene of all was Song Ah and Joon Young's Brahms performance, as individuals who were separated but whose hearts were still very much bound together. It was Song Ah's last public performance as a violinist, and also her final goodbye to her beloved instrument, but with her head held high. The fact that Joon Young, who had recently decided to give up playing the piano, decided to accompany her as she bid her violin farewell... Song Ah would never have fathomed that Joon Young was saying goodbye to his piano too, in his own way. I don't know, it just really made my heart sing and ache at the same time because Joon Young's deep love for her was so palpable in that beautiful moment.

I'm so happy to have gone on this journey with them from the very beginning. No regrets. I'm hoping one day I'll get to see all the deleted scenes so that I can revel in this story once more. Thank you, Kim Min Jae and Park Eun Bin, for pouring out your hearts for this production! I'm forever grateful :)

Oohhh I love that observation. Joon Young and Song Ah were both courageous in different aspects: JY not to let go (of SA) and SA to let go (of her violin).

Both realized their happiness in the end by doing so, and we were all happy by watching them too. 😊

I love the fact that Joon-young did indeed say goodbye to the piano- and that this in turn allows him to understand what Song-A had said to him about it- That he should stop doing it as a job to please others and earn money- which is why he had never liked it even though he was so good at it. Her suggestion that he should play for himself to express himself was so incredibly brilliant in its truth and simplicity. Which is the beauty of seeing his second CD- the one where he has been playing Brahms. It means that he started anew- but this time as a true artist. And it also shows us that Team Leader Cha was absolutely right about Song-A's true talent-and that it is a very rare talent indeed.

I too loved the scene where he accompanies her in her graduation performance. It showed his love for her and made his words of love to her afterwards so much more real. Then we see his graduation performance and how it was so obviously his expression of love to her- and how it touched her and finally clarified things for her. They were such beautiful moments- perhaps the most beautiful in this whole drama.

I love your point about how they had hurt themselves because they did not wish to hurt each other. In the end Song-A tells us that she has accepted the fact that there will be hurts from time to time but she is going to keep on loving anyway. She has truly grown as a person and so has he.

Honestly, I thought I would come in here with a lot to say but after 8 weeks of all of this all I really want to say is thank you to @missvictrix and to all the Brahmsies who were with me on this journey ❤️ It wasn't perfect, but I'm glad I could be here with all of you! I hope we'll all find peace in the coming months like our dear JjunSsong, and I hope our paths stay clear of any Professor Lees and Jungkyungs (sorry, but it's still a no from me re: her) 😂

Saranghae, saranghae, saranghae, DYLB and to all of you who spent the last 8 weeks discussing this lovely drama with me!!

To all the Brahmsies waiting on the updated Spotify playlist, it should be updated with everything from the last 2 weeks soon! ❤️

@earthna, @letseatcookies, @choijunu, @kimbapnoona, @hazelnuts, @kafiyah-bello, @ally-le, @wishfultoki, @oldawyer, @stberry, @katakwasabi, @purplesheesh, @lindag, @yongsital, @marcusnyc20, @pickleddragon, @callie, @csmith, @peachietime, @ayalynn123, @acacia, @jingbee, @fatcat007, @gem28, @javinne, @kurama, @ltung23, @carlybisek, @mayhemf, @13infamyss

Oh, goodie! Will be waiting for it. I also echo my thanks to all the Brahmsies..as the experience of watching this drama was indeed further enriched by the discussions here. Not to mention, making those days in between episodes bearable.

hello @choijunu! sorry about getting all ko moonyoung on your fan wall in response to 2set. i was just worried they ruined the "saranghae in the f-hole" scene forever for me. i was told by my classical music friends to give myself a butterfly hug and i'm calmer now. appreciate their shtick and promotion of classical music. so again sorry.

i just wanna say that i'm looking forward to your spotify list this week cause i really stan JK's performance (i know, i know she's not the best person), but I'm not good with violin pieces and can't identify it! and my classical friends aren't responding. so any id would be much appreciated. it was such a great BATTLE piece!

I wasn't happy that Jung Kyung looked like she would reunite with Hyun Ho. He deserves so much better. We weren't shown enough change in her behavior to let me like anything about her.

Sadly, the show lost me over the course of the last weeks. The performance together would have been such a nice development, if only it wasn't for my entire experience in music screaming that it is neither possible nor advisable to get on stage without practising together. Thus my last shreds of suspension of disbelief finally evaporated.
I am trying to forget the latter half and keep in my heart the promise of the first episodes with all the sweetness and healthy communication between the lovely couple.

Exactly, lol. I hope the trio practiced at least once before playing Mendelssohn 😂

I learned that my piano teachers were all liars. You don't really need to practice. 😆 I enjoyed watching them in the practice rooms because it reminded studying in them rooms while my piano major friends practiced.

It would've been best to watch the first eight then skip to the last episode. I might be more forgiving if I'd done that.

Widmung is such a wonderful piece. I am just like JY's mom, I do not know much about the piano but I cried while listening to it and watching JY play it. I will forever be grateful to DYLB for setting me off to (re)discover classical music.

Oh and here is the English text of this song (translated by Emily Ezust) :

Widmung (Dedication)

You my soul, you my heart, you my bliss, o you my pain, you the world in which I live; you my heaven, in which I float, o you my grave, into which I eternally cast my grief. You are rest, you are peace, you are bestowed upon me from heaven. That you love me gives me my worth; your gaze transfigures me; you raise me lovingly above myself, my good spirit, my better self!

Schumann expresses to Clara that she is his peace, angel, repose, rapture, jeart, soul, grave for sorrows, better self and his heaven. Truly what JY was also trying to say to SA.

This is so moving.

this show brought out my childhood passion for widmung. GOOD LORD THAT SCENE WAS SO INCREDIBLE. SO RIDICULOUSLY ROMANTIC AHHHHH!!! I may be one of the few, but if the show ended there with the kiss afterwards, i would've melted anyways. the extra proposal stuff is fine, but WIDMUNGGGGGGG!!!!! i'm almost trying to figure out if it's one of the most romantic moments in kdrama history ..... #bias :)

more widmung reading: https://interlude.hk/schumann-liszt-widmung/
fave widmung, yundi li's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDWeTO3tBNI

Wow.. thank you for the link. After reading the article, I now understand why WIDMUNG really moved me to the point of tears!. The transition of complex emotions expressed through this music : from fear, to warmth and peace, to rapture and passion, then to joy..

Schumann must have truly loved Clara, too and I suppose she did too.

from the article: "Nevertheless, there is still a sense of fear and insecurity in the music, due to separation and uncertainty about their future."

SWOOOON. i not only cried but also touched my chest like SA, gasping for air haha. i do admit that the love story and dimpled-beauty of KMJ and PEB probably caused my (our?) reactions cause i heard lang lang play widmung in high school and was not even close to crying haha.

Apparently I can no longer reply to your comment @ltung23 as there is a limit on the level. Nevertheless, yes to the added impact of KMJ and PEB esp those eyes! That made widmung in dylb swoony. =)

Thank you for the great recaps missvictrix! After Monday&Tuesday episodes I could not wait to read your recap :) I am so glad the writer didn't have any timelapse and packed up the story well. Plus very creative production team . I ll be waiting for their next project :)

My answer to that title says, Do You Like Brahms was... yes for me like Song-ah and Joon-young did. I love scenes of graduation recitals, fictional graduation (of 2021) and its legacy of the cultural foundation. For our final week episodes, I felt like watching ended up with one of the happiest K-drama moments of 2020 when Song-ah and Joon-young about to get married. After I watched DYLB, I heard one of my saddest musical age when I heard Brahms Lullaby which brought back my memories when I was a baby. T-T When I will be rewatching DYLB all over again, then I heard some of Brahms' happiest songs in my life then I turned into more fun.

Back to DYLB, goodbyes are meant for took another (off-screen) journey for Song-ah and Joon-young and for the real-life cast (aside from Park Eun-bin and Kim Min-jae), I looked forward for other big and independent projects (movies and/or TV) in either near future or in the future for a long period of time along with kind staffs and production crew. First of all, I wanted to give another projects to come from the PD and its writer of this series after incredible good enough and successful ratings and rising positive reactions among fans who enjoyed or not dropping DYLB (like me) plus good job at right and appropriated romantic scenes and not to mentioned, the great musical scenes that I enjoyed in good life.

For Park Eun-bin and Kim Min-jae, they were both now a truly well-established talented stars! I hope they will see you next projects for both of you!

I wasn't supposed to watch DYLB when I first saw its posters, like it doesn't connect with me yet. But when I saw the first four episode recaps by @missvictrix, I became really curious and decided to watch one episode, till I craved more so much that I can't think straight till the day becomes Tuesday and Wednesday again (English subs were released the next day).

This must have been the first drama where I became so emotionally invested in the main leads. Like, I feel sad when Song Ah or Joon Young is sad. I feel like a melted ice cream when they are both happy and sweet to each other. I didn't like it first when I kept seeing some insecurity from Song Ah and when Joon Young is not opening up to Song Ah. But then I realized I'm both SA and JY. This drama showed (or at least really represented 'Real People'. SA isn't perfect nor JY is, so much like everybody else. And another thing I liked about this show is that it doesn't have that 'villian' that needs to be defeated by the end. (Yes we have Duster, Simon, JK, but they're just people behaving badly, they aren't evil).

The real 'villian', perhaps, is one's own darkness. And we see in the show how our leads, and even the secondary characters, overcame and chose to be the better versions of themselves. They were all clearly in pain, but they chose to move forward in spite of it.

I'm happy that Song Ah and Joon Young are happy, not because they got together again, but because they learned and grew so much individually. My top favorite scene (for there were manyy!) is when they played together the FAF, it felt very romantic (for me) more than their kisses and hugs. There is something so intimate about music bringing people together (and plus factor that it was Park Eun Bin and Kim Min Jae really playing!!) I even had to stop myself from screaming when I first saw that clip because I was in the office at work.

All in all, this show becomes my TOP1 kdrama. I never knew Eun Bin before, but I learned that it's never too late to stan! She's so cute, strong, and really really goood! In the weeks waiting for DYLB new episodes, I had to watch PEB shows (I managed to finish about 8 dramas already!) Kim Min Jae is also so gorgg! I love them both!! I'll probably be in a perpetual state of liquid form from melting again and again. I can't wait for new shows for PEB and KMJ!

I just wish they would release recordings of the pieces they were playing, esp the FAF and Moonlight+HBD. PEB playing the piano would be such a treat too!

"The real villain is one's own darkness". Yes. You're right. I came late to this party, and have just watched all the episodes over 8 nights. I could tell from the fanwall that beanies were loving it and also writhing in pain at the end.

The first thing that got me in was the feel of the music scene. I belonged to an orchestra once - a fairly indifferent viola player. DYLB felt authentic. No matter what stage they are at, players and performers suffer angst about their ability, constantly comparing themselves to each other, and then of course there are the stars who attract so much celebrity status and envy. The whole performance culture is suffused with envy.

Then I was riveted by Song-ah, who so many beanies seemed to identify with, and who was such a gentle, sweet, unassuming character, but who still has some steel in her when push came to shove. What stood out for me with her (and this will not be a popular response) was that she suffered greatly from envy. She was just plain jealous of Jung-kyung (who admittedly suffered from her own brand of envy). In fact there was so much slow-burn envy in DYLB, it was treacle thick. The three professors, all failed musicians themselves, were so jealous of their pupils and so jealous of each other. What a nest of vipers.

I actually felt for Jung-kyung - she was such a sad, messed-up person. She has no idea what she really wanted. I saw so many comments about how reprehensible she was, and she did indeed seem cruel and manipulative. It was good to see her get past some of that sadness.

Each of the main characters faced up to their own darkness, especially Song-ah and Jung-kyung, and it was physically painful to see both Joon-young and Hyun-ho suffer as a result of Song-ah's and Jung-kyung's respective angst (and envy).

Overall, it had a beautiful feel to it. Some of the beats at the end were a little too drawn out, and I would have loved more music. Secret Affair, which is one of my all-time favourites, kept popping into my mind as a point of comparison.

That's a great observation, that everyone had 'envy'. And it does bring something bad out of people. Some can still be saved, like SA and JK, but some others just live by it (like the professors).

"The real 'villian', perhaps, is one's own darkness."

What a line, and so true. At the end of the day, we are truly our own worst enemies and from watching this drama, I think those moments of vulnerability from our OTP and side characters were the things that resonated with most of us here. Whether we have any connection or experience to playing an instrument or not, that didn't matter because it was more about the journey of pursuing what you love and your own happiness.

Many of us have and will encounter moments in our lives where we find ourselves at a crossroad, trying to figure out what we want. Sometimes the things we want to pursue may not work out due to many factors and sometimes what we do do doesn't bring us happiness. The journey and the choices we make aren't always easy. The very thing you see and wish you had could actually be someone else's burden and cause of pain. I think DYBL did a great job at portraying these different perspectives in a realistic way.

Park Eun-bin is a wonderful actress and I really came to like Kim Min-jae in this show in part because he so obviously put his heart into it.

"The smallest moment in your life is the moment when your crescendo begins."

I swear I teared up when Young in said these words 🥺🥺 My username is actually a reference to Still 17, but the final episode of DYLB added another meaning to it, making it feel even more special. 🥺

I loved the final episode so much. The way they wrapped up everything was so satisfying. Not to mention all those beautiful lines! It was heartwarming to see the growth of all the characters especially Joonyoung and Songah.

And also, I'm feeling a little more emotional because the journey for DYLB felt really special as I saw the amount of love and appreciation Eunbin received through this drama. I've always been so proud of her, but seeing more people discover how great of an actress and a person she is throug this drama makes my heart so full. She really deserves everything! Crescendo, I hope she continues to grow bigger and bigger with time ♡

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, lovely end to a lovely drama.

Thank you @missvictrix for the beautifully written recap.

Show definitely wasn't perfect (what drama really is?) but it was the awkward, cute interactions, the mutual understanding, the subtle gestures, the sweetness, the growth and the smile of our OTP's that made it such a wonderful joy to watch.

Did we need all those annoying side characters and angst? Probably not. Could we have been given more adorable scenes of our main couple? MOST DEFINITELY.

But after that finale, I'm content and willing to forgive and forgot all the pain and tears that my heart was put through. Also because SBS really has been doing a great fan service of giving us so much BTS content.

Also from this drama, I was able to come back to DB and start boat parties on the fan wall with all the lovely Beanies out there, so thank DYLB and thank you all for this wonderful time.

Until next time.

PS(NO MORE MELO AGAIN!!)

You were an excellent captain. I'm looking forward to the next boat party, for sure.

Shall have to see if the stars align...hahaha

I hope I've finally learned my lesson. I might watch another, but I think I need at least a year off.

You are a brave one. I can't risk my heart failing on me...

Or foolish. Although I think Just Between Lovers was called a healing melodrama and I'd hate to have missed that one.

hahaha a brave fool. I don't want to risk it.

Oh, yes... next time I hope we are giving a melo-free ship to party on.
But also, I agree... you did a great job as party host and captain. Thank you very much! 😄😍🎉🎆🎊

Last ship party I had, it was the wrong ship, this time, the melo-waves were too much...hopefully third times the charm.

Thank you for being a great crew member.

I actually haven't watched the last six episodes subbed and don't plan on doing so until exams finish later in the year (so that I can place my full attention on appreciating every single moment of the drama) but I still felt the need to say my temporary farewell to DYLB now that it's officially ended.

Joon Young said to love moderately but I think for a lot of us this was impossible with DYLB. Over these past few months, I have developed so much love for both Song Ah and Joon Young that they've taken a very special place in my heart. Despite its obvious flaws, I'll be forever thankful for the journey this drama took me on. I'll miss our adorable couple very very much and I hope no matter what hardships they come across in the future, they only keep moving forward in finding their true happiness :) Of course, I have to say a big thank you to the director, writer, Park Eun Bin, Kim Min Jae, all the cast and staff for bringing us such a beautiful drama during these hard and peculiar times. I love you, I love you, I love you! ♡♡♡

I think it's poignant that JY said to love moderately, but in the end he himself couldn't love moderately. :-) His concert was the most beautiful love letter to SA.

I thought that "love moderately" line was whistling past the graveyard... you can only say that sort of thing when you already realize it is too late; you are all in.

more than DLYB ending.. i can't bear the thought of no kim min jae next week! ☹️

I know, I've added Dr Romantic 2 to my watchlist even though he's only support.

Finally a happy ending for our OTP. There are so many little details in the final episode which holds a great meaning 1) how JY pit the ring on SA's right finger although she quit playing violin 2) The short appearance of the umbrella 3) SA extending her hand first after her performance and finally the restaurant scene. That particular scene was totally adorable mainly because it shows the little growth in JY. He always thought about what others want and as seen , hide even small dislikes like coffee, ice cream and spicy food. But the growth in this scene is how he started voicing his own dislikes and needs with a little push from SA.
As much as I hated the breakup scene, our leads realized how important they are to each other. As a whole DYLB was an emotional journey and in the ends I can happily say goodbye to all our beloved characters in a hope that they will continue doing well.

Aww show you've managed to melt my frozen heart in the end.
Thank you so very much @missvictrix for wee capping "Brahms."
Love you as much as I love our couples.

The final two episodes of Brahms were great, but I don't feel they justify the black hole of despair that the middle of the show consisted of.

Those kisses were simply....wow. Now, that's entusiasm.

On the whole, I think the show lacked balance, a lot of the scenes felt repetitive and the side characters underdeveloped. Basically a screenwriting problem. For me, it was the awesome performances and chemistry of Park Eun bin and Kim Min jae that carried this. The directing was also superb at times and the OST very fitting.

The thing that will stay with me the most is discovering Tiramisu Cake, though. Kim Seung chul's voice is amazing.

YES YES YES!!
Tiramisu Cake was such a great discovery during those prolonged depressing episodes. I really hope Kim Seung Chul gets a better role for his next project...hopefully another singing related one. If not, I might have to find out if he's doing any musicals in Korea.

There’s a recent post of him singing a cover of Punch’s song on his Insta. He sings very well ❤️

His singing is amazing. But not surprised since he's a musical actor LOL

Havent watch this eps except for SA and JY and the trio performances
Those two scenes make it slightly worth those time when I wanna throw my laptop off
lmao
It's has been a wild ride and I realised once again I dont have patience for melo

Just when I thought that my love for this show couldn’t get anymore PSYCHOTIC, episodes 15 and 16 dropped, and … and … I shouldn’t stay here long. I’ve become the annoying street preacher who’s screaming at you to go to church or you’re burning in hell … but for DYLB … (please send help).

1) The classical performances of SA, JK and JY were just EVERYTHING for me. So many kdramas these days are almost a bunch of glorified conversations strung together. Here’s OTP talking in a pretty café, here’s OTP talking in the latest mall in Seoul with fashions from Celine, here’s OTP talking in Subway. While those are all worthy of watching and often SQUEEING from the kyootness, there’s somewhat a lack of CINEMATIC MOMENTS. I feel like my favorite shows have these cinematic, almost purely physical, moments that literally make my heart pound. In “My Ahjussi,” little IU running up 30 flights of stairs to protect her ahjussi; in “PBIO,” Sangtae feeding a traumatized Moonyoung a bowl of porridge.

SO MAN, the classical performances really left me gasping for air at their cinematic beauty. For SA, it was the final show, years and years of frustration all left on the stage, with her entire world in attendance, with her beautifully-dimpled man by his side (AND A TON OF EYE BANGING BETWEEN THE TWO GOOD LORD). For JK (who I secretly stan), it was the final battle against her bish professor, playing with her conviction and with her grief over mommy and granny, and gaining the respect of a former enemy in SA. The JK scene almost felt like an action drama! And for JY ... I can’t even talk about it here without becoming a salty puddle of years so moving on ...

2) The classical performances were beautifully (albeit a tad cheesily) tied to the main theme FAF (aka Free As Fcuk), freeing ourselves from the worldly structures that bind and pain us, like school, societal and family expectations, perfectionism. So that we can all play our own music. It was really just way too much for me to handle this week (haha).

3) Growing up with a tiger mom who forced me to play piano, I felt almost obligated to enjoy classical music, but felt more heart with, say, an acoustic singer-songwriter (or a rapper but I digress). But DYLB made me realize that if you put a story like SA, JK and JY’s behind the classical music, classical music is still THE BEST … and I guess it doesn’t hurt if you make the players extremely good looking kdrama actors and actresses haha.

So I propose that they make a CLASSICAL MUSIC VERSION of the Let’s Eat series. Number 1 is the underrated “Still 17,” number 2 is the best “DYLB,” and number 3 is to-be-determined, perhaps a love story about a trumpeter who loves jazz and meets a female double bass player?!? Peace, I love everyone in the DYLB threads!

Yay for the shout-out to Still 17! I just watched it, having my own little classical music fest here and loved it - I am a sucker for people creating their own families and when you throw in music and art it's a complete win.

yes, still 17 should be paired with a bubbly rose from napa, maybe mumm's dvx rose?? 🤭😉

@ahjussi clown I like the way you think!

I'm satisfied with the finale. Love all the subtle details and lines that reminded me of earlier scenes. Joon Young saying I Love You to Song Ah multiple times was similar to how he confessed he liked her. ♡♡♡

The time skip was used well! Even though I wanted to see more, I love that the drama showed a progression of time *with* the couple being together instead of using it as a separation/break before the couple is reunited.

I'm happy that Kim Min Jae and Park Eun Bin nailed their roles. Hope they get more lead roles soon.

Really a beautiful drama talking about how much our inner mental state affect how we react to relationships and yourself. It also not easy getting out of it. So even though it was painful to watch it show how far dow it goings before realizing what you need to do.

The way JY said I love you. My heart. Also saying it so many times. It is like finally all the things that hold him back is not there anymore. He finally wanting to do something for himself. Also love SA journey in finding herself and realizing what make her happy. It is really lovely seeing them liberated and happy.

I guess I knew HH and JK would have an open ending. Even though JK is also finding her happiness I think she need more time to understand what she did to the people around her. In my mind I would imagine her apologize later when she is ready to do so.

thank you missvictrix! for creating a space to commiserate, rejoice & show luv for this drama:)

it was lovely to see PEB again, she showed all the emotions called for as Song-ah, her journey to happiness although bittersweet was fraught with subtle joy & tears of disappointment. i have to commend the casting director, PEB & KMJ, they looked good together & had excellent chemistry!

this drama suffered from so much misery, 4 episodes before the finale week, why show? my fervent wish for future kdramas is to have it cut short to 12 episodes so we can be spared from too much sadness & it would tighten the story-telling as well.

thank you beanies for your insightful comments:)

It has been a few days and my heart is still so full. I am a bit annoyed with myself for doubting the writer. I feel like the last few episodes were tainted by my fear of the end, but though the writer is new, she had a very specific and beautiful story that she told. I wish experienced writers would take notes. THIS is how you do a time skip! I am so grateful to Park Eun Bin and Kim Min Jae who truely lived their characters and made them such perfect imperfect people. Finally, cheers to 2030. It sucks in almost every way, but dramas have been so poignant and so many MLs have shown such respect for their partners!!!

Thank for the open thread and the comments. Watching any show with you and all beanies who talk and comment both here and in the wall is always a pleasure.
I liked the drama a lot. This squee inducing OTP was such a delight to watch... at least until angst got in the way. I know they had to learn to put themselves before others and to love themselves, but even so, for me it was too much. Yet, having them together in a beautiful happy ending was really nice.
I didn't like that the drama used the rest of the characters just as plot devices, specially JK and HH, who were there just to create conflict, and when it was solved they were not important anymore.
But above all, I loved Park Eun Bin and Kim Min Jae.

Its been a while that I've watched a melo and been so satisfied. This story really was precious. The struggles were perhaps a bit blown out of proportions in some ways but still very relatable. Giving up on your dream when you realize that its no longer practical is very sad and it hurts. Song Ah's struggles will resonate with many regardless of their actual field of interest. We all compromise with our dreams, loose bits and pieces of our soul as we adjust to being adults. Same with Joon Young, being talented doesn't mean that talent will bring you joy. I think both stories made for good contrast and were told with utmost sensitivity. This drama was especially a breathe of fresh air because it didn't center around the caricatures we are so used to in dramas. Song Ah, Joon Young were good, decent human beings with sensitive temperament. And it was absolute joy to watch them grow to like each other and overcome their hurdles together like mature, decent adults. My only gripe is Hyun Ho and Jung Kyung both could've had a decent arc of their own. The writer especially sacrificed Jung Kyung's growth in the week preceding the finale week. That was not necessary. Characters can have a story to tell without being thrown into a love triangle that felt in its entirely very trite and inorganic. It was also repetitive. I would've preferred if she grew to a better person without a loss of a loved one. It especially felt inorganic because we all knew that Director Na was basically her barrier, her humbling down when that barrier was stripped away and when her vulnerability was truly accessible to the world wasn't exactly the most effective to drive her plot. In a way, she truly didn't have a choice but to fix her attitude then. Her dad wasn't going to shield her or help her the way her grandma did. So, no that arc wasn't satisfying to me. It felt too convenient. But I liked the execution. I am especially glad that Hyun Ho walked away. I am also glad that Simon, the professor of Joon Young got his due. The rest won't but such is life and at least Song Ah, Joon Young and Hyun Ho are far away from their clutches. I am truly grateful to the drama for giving us such a wonderful love story. It truly did feel like a warm fall breeze while you sip in apple cidar among falling leaves and colors. Also, it was lovely spazzing, screaming, crying with fellow beanies here and in the walls. Thanks for the recaps too.

Some very loose thoughts:
Why did Song Ah, the person who always played the violin because she loved it, quit, when Joon Young, the person who was never happy playing the piano and always felt burdened by it, continue to play the piano? I know on paper the reason is that because Song Ah taught him how to play what he enjoyed and what he liked, but I just never felt like I actually... SAW that... there was just a jump from both being depressed, unhappy, and sick, to suddenly everything wa