Drama viewership ratings for the week of Nov. 16-22, 2020

We had a quiet week, with pre-emptions all across the board. Half of our shows were only able to air one episode and, surprisingly, that didn’t have much effect on their ratings. Frontrunner Penthouse still came in with a high 14.5 percent, and others like Kairos stayed within their low numbers. So not much damage done, but these pre-emptions aren’t exactly helping either.

We did have one premiere this week — JTBC’s youth drama Live On. The drama only airs once a week, every Tuesday, and it’s full of a lot of young talent both new and experienced. Whether or not those points affect its ratings, we’ll have to wait and see. Meanwhile, we have a few dramas ending soon, so better enjoy them while we still can! *cries in Do Do Sol Sol*

Drama viewership ratings for the week of Nov. 16-22, 2020

More Than Friends JTBC
Start-Up 11 tvN 4.8%
Sunday, Nov. 22
Homemade Love Story 20 KBS 31.9%
Start-Up 12 tvN 5.1%

Tags:

Following 5 airing dramas and the only one I'm eager to watch as soon as the episode is available is "Homemade Love Story". Trust KBS to provide a good family drama that gets you hooked in spite of the secret daughter, the memory loss, the nasty step-sister and other typical k drama clichés being used. It's the cheapest of the whole week, it's not inventive, nor does it have high production value... But yeah, it works (though I HATE SEO AH with a vengeance). Loosing interests in all the others, including Tale of the Nine Tailed (arguably I think Kairos is more my cup of tea but I'm waiting to binge the episodes), but Homemade Love Story... I'm hooked. A little bit of angst and lots of heart ;) Didn't like a family drama that much since My Father is Strange.

A lot of holes... Why must they be the ones I'm watching? 😭 (especially Kairos and The Spies Who Loved Me)

It is the Universal law of Perversity: Events occur in inverse proportion to their desirability.

The three laws of perversity as I learned them:

1. An object at rest is in the wrong place.
2. An object in motion is going the wrong way.
3. The energy required change either of the above two states is always more than you’re willing to spend, but never so much as to make it impractical.

What a bad week for JTBC dramas this week!

Fly Dragon/Delayed Justice tied its highest record from October 31 (6.7%)! Keep flying up the ratings for the next weeks.

I just finished JTBC’s wonderful MYSTIC POP UP BAR as a late season catch up. I am now down to one live drama (KAIROS) as I wait for a number (oh my!) of dramas to premier. Should I jump into FLY DRAGON/DELAYED JUSTICE? I am not sure if I want to take on a 20 episode drama. It is getting decent ratings though.

O/T. I scanned the ratings for JTBC’s 2020 dramas here:
It looks to me (so unofficial) that the top 3 JTBC dramas in 2020 for highest average ratings for their run are:
1. THE WORLD OF THE MARRIED (18.829%);
2. ITAEWON CLASS (11.832); and
3. THE GOOD DETECTIVE (5.579%).

Like its story, My Dangerous Wife has a roller coaster in its ratings. Episode 12 was the high water mark at 3.40%. But Episode 13 dropped to 2.318% and Episode 14 was 2.447%.

Understandable, MDW is like fairy floss

Sure, it's an intense sugar rush but does nothing to fill you up. The best crazy always has something more that means you can't walk away.

I thought there were more viewers watching Start-Up nowadays! Wondering if it's not doing so well rating-wise in SK? 🧐

START-UP is a cable show so that has an effect (although TvN has had some major hits at times even ratings wise).

It may also be that it is a show which may appeal more to a foreign audience than a Korean one. It is, after all, partly a re-working of a classic French play.

i like it and i am still not sure why. it is interesting to me (maybe i was a CEO in another life! i like the synergy of the actors though and maybe that is the draw

None of these ratings has anything to do with the quality of the dramas itself. It has got to do with the use of online streaming nowadays. People just do not prefer watching it on tv when they have smartphones now. In fact, based on the Netflix Korea rankings Start-up is at number 2 in the weekly rankings (with private lives being number 1, which is more surprising coz it has always been at a 1.5% ratings and with a generally more quiet group of fans).
The people who would prefer watching tv rather than online streaming are the older generation, who prefer the more traditional dramas like the makjang type or the family type ones, hence penthouse and homemade love story and once again have higher ratings than others.

The younger generation watched The World of the Married and Crash Landing on You, which always trended, so if it's a "syndrome" drama, young people will watch the live broadcast.

I'm not saying that younger people do not watch the traditional type of dramas or those with actors the older generation recognize. It's just that the younger ones generally watch it using streaming services rather than the live broadcast, which is why when CLOY premiered, it was also on the top ranking in Netflix Korea. Sure, a portion of the younger people watch it live, but a larger portion watch it online.

Based on what official stats are you saying young people don't watch tv? SK Netflix has less than 2 million subscribers while it has 30 million HHs and a population of over 50 million. Most people still watch TV physically and not online. Only teenagers watch dramas in their phones and the ones they watch are all web dramas which is why why Love Playlist has over 10 million views per episode. The mainstream dramas still rely on ratings for measuring popularity and success. Dramas that don't have ratings generally also don't have online viewers or popularity. Those are just excuses for poor ratings and flop dramas.

@Call , it seems I can't reply to you, so I'll just leave it here. You, yourself, proved my point. The 1-5% ratings are based on that 30mil HHs, that is approx, 300K to 1.5Mil people watching. Sure, the Netflix rankings may not be up to 1.5 Mil, but they do have something called TVing, which is online live broadcast for cable channels, so the rankings there are pretty high. And also the point you made about having less ratings is equal to less popularity is pretty much absurd, because I can easily say that startup more popular online than penthouse for example.

HOMEMADE LOVE STORY has actually become more coherent and a better watch, even though it has an awful lot of standard tropes.