Jo Seung-woo, Park Shin-hye tackle fantasy-mystery in new JTBC drama Sisyphus: the Myth

Jo Seung-woo, Park Shin-hye

In celebration of JTBC’s 10th anniversary next year, a special fantasy-mystery drama is being put together called Sisyphus: the Myth which stars actors Jo Seung-woo (Forest of Secrets 2) and Park Shin-hye (Memories of the Alhambra).

Jo Seung-woo plays a highly intelligent engineer named Han Tae-sool. He is one of the founders of a successful company called Quantum and Time and his developments have helped build the company to grow worldwide. Due to his innovations, he is well known and well-loved by the people of Korea. However, what they don’t know is that the company stocks have been unstable since his older brother suddenly died 10 years ago. And when Jo finally learns the truth behind his brother’s death, he embarks on a dangerous journey that will forever change his life.

Park Shin-hye takes on the role of Kang Seo-hae, who lives in the attic loft of a skyscraper in Seoul and is described as a warrior. Highly skilled in combat fighting, sniper work, and planting bombs, whether they be man or woman, gangster or warlord, she can take them down. Although we don’t yet know the reasons why, the story has her travelling far and wide in order to meet Jo Seung-woo’s character and rescue him.

I’m not sure how the original Greek legend of Sisyphus actually plays into the drama, but Jo Seung-woo is always a win. And I definitely like when Park Shin-hye plays interesting characters that are not run-of-the-mill, such as in You’re Beautiful or Flower Boy Next Door. It will be awesome to see her as a badass butt-kicking heroine who can hold her own in a fight.

On the production side, we’re in good hands with PD Jin Hyuk (Legend of the Blue Sea, Master’s Sun, City Hunter) in the director’s chair and scripts were penned collaboratively by married couple Lee Jae-in and Jeon Chan-ho.

Filming for Sisyphus: the Myth has already been completed and the show is currently in post-production. The premiere is set for early next year in 2021.

Via Osen, The Fact

Tags: , ,

This is giving me Memories of the Alhambra vibes and we all know how that drama turned out. Making matters worse is the fact that the writers only have credits in one drama special and one weekend (makjang) show.

Park Shin Hye does tend to fare better when she's not in a romance drama but her last drama had the romance shoehorned in anyway against all odds so who knows if we may get more infamous fish kisses.

Jo Seung Woo is certainly great. But we all know that great acting cannot save a terrible script and he's been through that process before with God's Gift: 14 Days (and that was with a better actress). I just hope this show doesn't scare him off dramaland for 3 years like what that show did to him.

It seems like someone still stuck in 2013 even if the Heirs kiss wasn't even her fault.
She has plenty of nice kisses in Pino, Doctors and MoA and there are many actress who have fish kisses in surprised situations but why is she the only one that get dragged?
This is why I stopped coming here because actresses get dragged and bullied for nothing even she did amazingly and have proven herself countless times. Such a toxic environment. Wait that's one of the reasons I stopped watching kdramas too. LOL

Wow, that is so low. Do you really have to put down PSH just to compliment JSW?

And yet, the last projects of JSW have lower ratings compared to those of PSH’s? So, what can you say about that?

Those people don't even know her own record but let's drag her and discredit anyway, just to to fit their opinions
But at the end of the day, Korean entertainment industry think otherwise. That's why she got good projects offers and all good actors and production want to work with her. Because they know her capability, skill as well her rating record better than no-brain haters. I mean she basically got 2 successful movies and making her name familiar with Netflix worldwide this year despites of the pandemic. What is the other actress could have that power?

It really dose not matter if she the worse or the best actor out there, she gets roles because the drama she appears in make lots of the $$$ and she will remain a top A list actor and win awards based on that.

Wow...I didn't know people still talked about fish kisses...guess you haven't seen her other dramas in recent years. Also, drama quality / chemistry does not equal good kisses.

I do agree romance being shoehorned in MoA but I think that's not PSH's fault.

someone has more information from the writer. I get acquainted with the director, but the writer, I don't think I saw any of his works.

I tried doing some research but even googling the writers' names in Korean didn't yield anything other than the fact that they wrote eps 6-40 of the SBS weekend drama Fates and Furies, starring Joo Sang-wook and Lee Min-jung. It didn't help that the person who wrote the first 5 episodes is the only person credited as the writer on Asianwiki and Wikipedia. It's all a bit worrying. Then again, I'd never heard of Lee Soo-hyun, but his Kairos is turning out to be one of the most rigorously constructed dramas I've ever seen.

Yes, I am a little worried about the writer, dramas with time travel themes tend to have logical flaws that detract from quality, this drama has in my opinion a good director, good actors and for what I notice being an anniversary drama a good budget, I'm afraid that all my expectations will go under for an irregular writing.

Lee Soo Hyun is a rookie writer based on articles. It's amazing that she/he came up with Kairos as her/his first project. It's so well written, one of the best time-crossing thriller ever.

Ps: watch Kairos everyone. Maybe it's a good teaser for what to expect in Sisyphus...since both have Ancient Greek titles 😆

I found this on Twitter from one of PSH's fans. Apparently the writers have been working on Sisyphus since 2016, and the project was supposed to air on SBS. But SBS failed to cast PD and actors, so the project was cancelled and the writers wrote Fate and Furies for them. SBS didn't pay them for writing F&F, which is why they aren't credited.

I hope its a good script, enough for JTBC to pick it up and reboot it.

Woah I had no idea all this stuff was going on. That the writers had written Fates and Furies eps 5 or 6 to 40 (and not the first few episodes) sounds like they were just completing a script according to someone else's specifications. (And they weren't even paid for it?!) So I guess F&F won't tell us much about how Sisyphus will turn out.

The writer thing is making me worried, too.
Good director + good male lead - potentialle corny script = uncertainty.
And why Sisyphus? That is one joyless legend, that I can't picture as an interesting drama.

I don't know if the reference to Sisyphus means this will be a fantasy, or if it's just a metaphor for crime and (futile) action. I will check it out because Jo Seung Woo.

Also, this may be a stretch, but Park Shin-hye can pull off fierce. She was pretty good in the first episode of DOCTORS as a feisty rebel dressed in black leather. Alas, we never saw that again after the hospital romance started (yawn).

She was good in both #Alive and The Call! Still got overshadowed by her much more talented costars in both, but she did well enough.

Honestly her characters are lacking in both movies in comparation so she did well with what she was given and her roles. Even Call director said her role is not easy to play because she is in charge of reaction and she has to balance the energy for both as SJJ is in charge of actions. You know they both filming their scenes separately right? JJS filmed first and PSH filmed later to match their line. Both were mostly acting with the phone. Even SJJ thank PSH in her interview
So I wouldn't say she was overshadowed. She needs better characters to shine. But with her acting method- which is balancing on her acting partners, it's not hard to see why actors shine better acting with her. But also because of that method, she has chemistry and can act well with anyone.
I do hope she can change her acting method and can let herself shine more. But she hasn't for age and it somewhat misleads people to think she is overshadowed or not good enough. It's just good for actors who act with her.

If not for her, would these two films be successful?

Btw, #Alive is her first movie as a FL. This movie placed #1 in the Netflix Worldwide chart. And overall #4 for 2020 on the international movies that the world loved for 2020. And yet, people still want to credit the ML for it. But what happened to the ML’s project before or after this movie?

Then on to “ The Call” which is her first movie where she is the lead. Well, it is still #1 in Netflix South Korea since it premiered last Nov. 27 and was in the top 10 worldwide for 2 consecutive weeks. That is hard to do since this is not a series with new content/episodes every week. And still, people here will still try to ignore her drawing power and give the credit to the other cast member. We will see how that other cast member will fare ratings wise or box office draw if one day she will get a chance to lead a drama.

You are all obsessed with great acting as if you are all qualified acting critics. SMH!
All those who have high-rated dramas or have the box -office hits have the least acting awards. And those with the most acting awards still remains in supporting roles. Why is that?

Because acting awards doesn’t equal to charisma and box-office pull. I bet actors and actresses would rather have the latter than go hungry with your acting awards!

...I said nothing bad at all about Park Shin-hye in my comment. I said she was good. What do you people want?

Yeah, I like both Yoo Ah-in and Jeon Jong-seo. I like them both more than I like Park Shin-hye (but I do not dislike Park Shin-hye). So what?

You're right. Park Shin-hye is popular. She doesn't need more fans, so why are you so desperate to convince me about how awesome she is? I don't think anyone here ever once questioned her success.

I can freely talk about what I think about someone's acting without ever relating it to popularity, because those two things are entirely unrelated for me. I like some popular actors. I like some less popular actors. I don't like some popular actors. I don't like some less popular actors. Popularity means very little to me as a viewer and I hardly ever mention it because of how little it means to me. You're making something out of nothing here.

I'm here on this website to talk about dramas and how they (and their actors) make me feel, and that's it. I couldn't care less about popularity.

“Overshadowed by his two much more talented co-stars” is not a diss?

It's not a diss, it's my opinion. Why would I diss someone who I said I thought was good?

MINDY: “ You're on a drama community dedicated to free discussion about dramas. People are allowed to disagree with you and share opinions that differ from yours.”

Exactly what I was doing ... I disagreed with your comment. But apparently, it is not allowed to object to your opinion.

Anyway, I am done. I apologize if I disagree with your comment. I am just fed up with people joining the PSH-Hate Bandwagon. Like, if one criticized PSH, you are giving them(bandwagoners) the go signal and authority to join in and insult her. There is too much of that already, this is my first time to join in any of the conversation here in drama beans because like my name implies I am so fed up with the hatred and how they ignore and discredit her fame and success and just focus on her weak point.

DB is the only kdrama site I post on and I do not maintain any kind of wall or other social media presence, so this may sound naive, but holy smokes! I would not have expected this kind of ugliness directed against you given your comments. I mean, for example, someone like Suzy gets criticized here exponentially more harshly without prompting this level vitriol (as it should be!)

A tiny part of me understands why people lose their minds about race, religion or economic disparity but dramas and actors? I guess now that the electoral college vote is done, there is space in the rancor hole to be filled...

"But what happened to the ML’s project before or after this movie?"

You mean Yoo Ah-in's film Burning, which won the Fipresci Prize at Cannes in 2018? And The Voice of Silence, which I'm pretty sure has had some decent critical success this year? Yeah, he's a nobody...

And to clarify, my comment is not an attack on PSH in any way. She's fine. I've enjoyed her performance in different projects, but what I don't enjoy is the tearing down of others based on some kind of popularity scale.

I am talking about box office? And his dramas ratings-wise?

I don't care about box office and ratings. I care about whether I like the project and enjoy watching the actor do their thing.

So it is okay to tear down PSH based on acting skill? Let’s ignore that fact right?

I don’t remember replying to your comment before this, I replied to the one who dissed PSh acting skills.

I did NOT tear down PSH, and Mindy did NOT tear down PSH, so I'm not sure what the problem is here. Anyways, I'm done here because I honestly don't care enough to continue. I'll check out this drama because I think the concept and the cast could be good. But my gosh, if I have to wade through this kind of argument in a recap thread you might just turn me off your PSH with this. It's one thing to be a fan, but it's another to just be too much.

Fed up: You're on a drama community dedicated to free discussion about dramas. People are allowed to disagree with you and share opinions that differ from yours.

Not every post that isn't absolutely glowing praise is a diss.

No one here has anything personal against you or Park Shin-hye. No one is saying anything about her popularity or success. They're just giving their opinion, which is what this site was made for.

I don't think these stans realise what a disservice they do their idols with this attitude. I highly doubt PSH or any of the other high profile stars would want to be associated with this kind of attitude. Not to mention it puts people off watching something with them in it because they're too scared they're going to end up in a pile-on over nothing.

I dont know her fans can be this scary 😟😰

They are so scary I almost cried 😭

@mmmmm *pats*
Crying together 🥺

I thought my 38 notifications were about something nice... I don't know how my positive comment about PSH got turned into this. I said she CAN portray fierce characters, based on the dramas I've seen, and Mindy added that she's actually GOOD in thriller movies. End of debate because there wasn't a debate to begin with!

I dont know why my feeling or my comment toward PSH is so important for them, till they become so angry. I mean who am I? Anonymus. Ha ha ha. They can just ignore my comments or my opinions. Since it doesnt effect PSH career or popularity or anything at all. Jebal jum. I dont want to feed the troll but it just makes me wonder.

Actually, her first lead role was in "The Royal Tailor" (2014). And do you even know who Yoo Ah-in is?
Two of his films appear on the list of the highest grossing films in South Korea. "Veteran" is 5th, with $95 mil. (more than 13 mil. tickets sold) and "The Throne" is 42nd, grossing $44 mil. (6,2 mil. tickets). His other films, "Punch" and "Default", grossed $33,6 mil. and $27,6 mil. (5,3 mil. and 3,8 mil. admissions, respectively).
"Burning" received almost universal critical acclaim (95% on Rotten Tomatoes from 185 reviews with a 8,59/10 average score and 90 out of 100 on Metacritic based on 38 critics), won the FIPRESCI Prize at Cannes, made it to the final nine-film shortlist at the Oscars for Best Foreign Language Film and appeared on several critics Top10 lists for 2018, including The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Associated Press and The Wall Street Journal and some "Best films of the decade" (including Rolling Stone, Associated Press, The A.V. Club).
After "#Alive", he starred in "Voice of Silence" which became the biggest indie film opening after the COVID outbreak (until now, it clocked over 400k admissions with $1 mil. budget and 3 mil. box-office) and received positive reviews.
At Baeksang Arts Awards, he received a Best Actor (TV) nomination for "Secret Affair" and won the award with "Six Flying Dragons". "Six Flying Dragons" also won him a Best Actor award from Seoul International Drama Awards. "Punch" got him a Best Actor nomination at Buil Film Awards. With "The Throne" he won Best Actor at Blue Dragon Awards and received a Best Actor (Film) nomination from Baeksang. He also received Best Actor nominations from Grand Bell Awards and a Daesang nomination at Baeksang for "The Throne" and "Veteran". "Burning" got him Best Actor nominations from Buil, Grand Bell, Blue Dragon and Baeksang Awards. This year, he is nominated again for Best Actor at Blue Dragon with "Voice of Silence". The New York Times named him one of the best actors of 2018.
Jeon Jong-seo debut role was the female lead in "Burning" and she received Best New Actress nominations from Buil, Grand Bell, Blue Dragon and Baeksang Awards for her performance. The Hollywood Reporter named her one of the 15 International Breakout Talents of 2018. Her second role was in "The Call" and she has a movie coming out in 2021.
And honestly, you have no idea what you are talking about. Most of the time, the awards are received by actors who starred in the biggest hits (when it comes to both critical acclaim and box office success) of that year. Awards actually equal box-office pull and are basically physical proof that this person has industry and public recognition and talent (good acting, charisma etc).
Biggest examples are Choi Min-sik and Song Kang-ho, who are basically the gods of the South Korean cinema. They are considered the some of the best Korean actors to ever live and won countless awards, while many of their films are...

Lol what overshadowed? Imagine just imagine when she's not act intimidated by Youngsook well, y'all will critics her couldn't portrayed her emotions. And she's not the psycho one she did her role good in Call. Such a double standard

I liked the call more than #alive, but she shone more in #alive than in the call, I even liked her more than Yoo Ah In in #alive.
The same are perceptions =)

I don t think she was overshadowed at all honestly especially in The Call I can see why you would have thought she has been overshadowed in Alive beacause the movie focuses more on ah in s side of the story but in The Call both her and jjs shined equially even though jjs character is the psycho killer she was be able to show that her character is as strong mentally as the villain and showed wide range of emotions that proves the excellent actress that she is that made her equal to the villain that supposed to shine in the first place I still can't get over both of their mind blowing performances on that movie also considering how these two movies are her first time leading ones shows how powerful she is looking forward for this drama and more of her movies

Yeah she was pretty good in doctors untill episode 8. When the romance came in is when that drama went down(among various other reasons)

I'd still read the gangster x doctor PSH fanfic any day. Or a PSH & Jisoo reunion.

I'm honestly so excited for this, and I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment. I've studied absurdism a few times since starting university, and Camus' essay of Sisyphus is so interesting - if this drama tackles existentialist themes, it'll have my heart. Plus, I'm buzzed to see Park Shin-hye in a drama that's not a bad romcom! But still, it's a high-concept drama, and they have a tendency to be cold and unapproachable from the starting line or lose their way by episode five.

But is the show referring to the essay or just the Greek myth?

Either way, the idea of a drama focusing on futility and purpose as themes sounds good to me!

When was the last time PSH starring in a romcom? Was it Heirs or Pinocchio? I'm certain Doctors and MoA isn't counted as romcom nor any of her movies in the recent year...
I feel like people like to stick PSH with poor candy girl and romcom when she does more melo and the only candy role she has was the Heirs and probably MoA after she became an adult actress. She wasn't a poor candy girls in You are beautiful, or Heartstrings or Pinocchio. She was poor but not a candy in FBND and Doctors. So I really don't get why people think she only plays candies roles. Or people think any roles that not rich are candy roles?

I'm counting Doctors here, since that was definitely not a show about doctoring. And since her only role in Memories of the Alhamnra was to be the pretty live interest, let's say I meant that too. I love Park Shin-hye, I think she's great, but she keeps choosing roles that don't utilise her properly.

So it's also her fault now that writer doesn't write her character well?!?!?
Like seriously? Actor only get first 4-6 episode to decide on script and you can see her roles have so much potential with those earlier eps. But yeah it's always the actress's fault. And sure you love PSH to think it's her fault that writer screwing her up that she was so upset after MoA.

That's not even slightly what I said...? When did I blame her?

Also Doctors is not a romcom even if you don't think it's all about medical. It's a humanity drama that focus on Hye Jung life and how she changes and let go of her hatred and angers because she is a doctor next to other touching stories in the hospital... The cast and director said it many times This is definitely not You're beautiful or What's wrong with secretary Kim kind of drama that easy to get popular among the youth. You can ask 100 people to recommend you romcom and none would suggest you Doctors. If they ask about medical drama, some will.

For MoA roles, no one was upset as PSH when the writer screwed up her role. She trusted the writer and the production but they only wanted to use her name and gave her nothing back. But that's why we have Call, Alive and now Sisyphus: the myth's roles where she is showing different sides of her. She learned her lesson and became more aggressive with her character discussion. Like she almost didn't take the call because the original was so passive. So in a way, I want to thank Park Hye Run for teaching her a good lesson. She has been too kind and nice. So a wake-up call was needed. So I'm sure she is using her star power and reputation properly to negotiate her roles better now.

I understand that you like PSH, I also like it, but your answering everyone in such an effusive way is not helping at all.

I am pretty sure those are the roles that she get offered in the first place directors and writers gives her roles that suit her pure image that s why she always complain about her image and she is desperate to change it and I think she is finally succeeded after watching her latest movies also back then nobody gave a fuck about the female lead and her character most of them are badly written they always make the ML shine the most and if you are an old kdrama fan (2003-2014) you will understand what I mean it is only recently we are seeing some good female roles actresses has always been overshadowed by writers and directors everyone can see that I mean even the call director said he is her fan and have watched all of her project and it always bothered him how they don t give her opportunities to how her skills

Fair point, when someone gets typecast it's hard to try new things. For instance, I'd love to see Ha Seok-jin in a role where he's not playing an obnoxious chauvinist, but it's happen like four times now I think? I think you're absolutely right that Park Shin-hye has played a lot of traditional K-drama female leads. I know she has a great range, and I'm glad she's getting more chances to put it to use!
(The bit about The Call director is lovely!)

To quote Alex from START UP: "interesting".

We shall see. This does not look like a mediocre show. It will either be really good or really awful.

I’m half agony, half hope.

I wish hope wins.

The pairing surprised me when it was first announced, but I hope it'll work! I love JSW and will for sure watch this when it airs next year. :)

Because of Jo Seung Woo's participation, the show, at its very worst, will still be watchable for me and the flipping of the usual gender roles of savior and damsel (dude)-in-distress earns some early credit.

I'm excited to see PSH kicking but again especially after her hit movies Alive and Call this year, but Dokmi in FBND is still one of her fav role in my book and she killed the role.

I can’t seem to fathom why it is so hard for people to acknowledge that despite your opinion of her acting skills... all her projects has been successful!

I have a feeling that if this drama will get high-ratings, these same acting experts will credit it to his ML and will ignore the fact that her track record(drama ratings) is much better.

Exactly! The people always doubt her are the people don't even know what they are talking about. They know nothing about her like someone giving credit for her agency down there. I'm certain those don't even watch most of her works and only have judgement based on one of her popular work since 2013. But even her with her worst character in Memories of Alhambra, she still has better rating than most. In facts she carried the rating for Doctors in the 1st eps and it reached 20% without young popular hallyu star. In fact she stop working with young popular happy stars since 2014 and still maintain a rating queen
Don't let me start with her movies this year. Anyway PSH has become more confident as she is taking more various roles and genres that she didn't dare in her 20's so I'm excited to see her future projects.

I like PSH a lot but let's not discredit the popularity of Kim Rae Won who has been a Hallayu star from early 2000s. Not to mention, his dramas and movies have usually received good ratings.
So Doctors was a collaborative effort.

I wouldn’t call KRW a YOUNG popular Hallyu star, so I didn’t discredit him.

Since after Pinocchio in 2014, PSH started to work more with senior actors who are much older than her, whether they were Hallyu star or movie star. I hope you can see the difference as well as her career choices clearly

And for Doctors, in my personal opinion, the 1st 6 eps was pretty much focusing on Hye Jung earlier journey with family and friend and barely her teacher so that’s why I said she could carry the rating - with a interesting character and of course good acting costars counterpart! The rating went up to 18% after 6 eps if I remember correctly but taking a long time to reach 20 after they started to focus on hospital and more KRW

So I hope you don’t misunderstand my original post. But I also remember kmedia also stating Doctors bought 2nd wave of popularity to KRW and remember he was really happy with it.

Park Shin Hye never flops.... so in terms of ratings, JSW is in good hands!

So funny...have you seen ratings of JSW's shows and popularity of his films...

Not just films...but also musicals.

I do like Park Shin-hye, and I love Jo Seung-woo, but this doesn't sound good at all

What not good about it? Have u watch already ?😅🤣 keep it inside the box before say so when the drama will on air soon.

There are a number of factors affecting "doesn't sound good" in OP's comment. Which, *gasp* will not be related to PSH. It could be the plot, it could be the writer, or it could be the director. So OP's comment isn't directing at one individual for sure. Some of us *again, gasp* judge on a drama on these numerous factors. Looking at the plot, it seemed like time-travelling will be involved, and as well all know, it can be very well done, or it will be a complete mess (see Someday or One Day, Alice, Tunnel, 365: Repeat The Year). I am not saying that you shouldn't question OP's opinion, but your following comment in this thread made me think that you think OP is going against PSH, which isn't.

JSW doesn't choose duds. I mean alot of people hate God's gift 14 days because of the ending, so much that they discredit how good the entire drama is until the last episode. I will put my trust on the guy. He knows what he's doing.

Thank you for your comment, because I had *no* idea how to respond to that one lmao.

It sounds like this drama will either go into a mess, or it will do really well. Not much room for in-betweens. I might watch and see, but if the behaviour that I am seeing in this thread continues, I am not sure if I should stay away.....

I almost feel like taking a chance on it too, but there is just so much potential for it to be bad (through no fault of Park Shin-hye or Jo Seung-woo) and I hate to waste my time. The story just doesn't draw me in, unfortunately!

I’ll probably wait and see how it goes before I start. Hopefully not another Alice mess

The drama haven't started yet but you are nay saying na ah ah sounds no good at all, what the fuck. It's Park Shin hye lol it's Park shin hye the Blackbox Office Queen and Ratings.😛

Agree park shin hye never fails

They pretend to see the fact lol

Park Shin-hye has a good agents for sure.

Well, If you consistently give successful results to the projects given to you, then you will be offered more. That is how it is in any workplace or business.

Acting awards are not enough. In show business, you have to bring in the money .

Lmao her agency is small and has no connection. In facts they has no one but her for almost 20 years and can't even promote her well. The only good thing they give her is freedom and is probably the biggest reasons she stays with them aside loyalty.
But let's give them credit because you don't want to give credit for the actress who worked hard for 17 years to build a successful career and great reputation for herself. LOL If she had a great agency with good mediaplay like JYP, or great connections like BH or Sidus, she definitely is much more popular and has much better roles.

But I don't understand why @pohonphee can't praise her agency. There are some very good actors and actresses who have not reached their full potential, or have even crashed and burnt, because their agents and agencies have not managed them well. While I've no doubt filmmakers etc pick PSH for her own merits, there's no way her agency would not be involved in finding and negotiating for roles for her. And if her agency is small and can't promote her well, as you say, yet the freedom (and maybe lack of pressure?) she has experienced with them has played a part in her great success, then I've got to say her agency looks pretty good to me. I was just commenting on Nam Gyu-ri on the fanwall, and on googling her I notice that she was with Sidus till recently, yet they don't seem to have done much for her career even though I think she is as beautiful and talented as PSH.

I hope her agency is a good one too because my Baby Kim Seon-ho is also in it. 🥰

Me hoping for the best for him 🥺

Really? Oppa Seon-ho in it? Wah, rise, rise, rise oppaya.
I want You Drive Me Crazy for 16 eps. Ha ha ha

Without PSH in the agency do you think KSH would sign with them? LOL
They even said she is the face and the motive of other actors signed with them.

As someone that follow PSH for 11 year I wish she could leave them a long time ago. Same with all her fans. But at that same time I understand why she stays. She has freedom there and it's important to her.

Her agency openly acknowledged her importance? That's pretty cool of them.

Well for starters, SALT does appear to be taking good care of him. I assume the designer ware are a token of their appreciation towards him. He signed in 2018, after his old agency (Not big) told him to go to a better one to manage his acting/entertainment career. Now, it seems like with his big buzz/rise, that the biggest test is how they'll be able to manage his rise to the top in a way that's smooth/wise for him.

I do worry a tiny bit, b/c I feel like on one hand, he gets more care/attention since he's the biggest name outside of KJW/PSH, but also if he were at a bigger one, they would have more resources/budget/connections to package deal him with bigger name talents so he could work with A+ List veterans.

I personally would love to see him sign with BH in the future. But he is a loyal guy, so I just hope SALT doesn't F up, and manages him/his career well. The fact that they don't sue naysayers/batsh!t crazy Stans is a big red flag for me, esp. since KSH is sensitive. YIKES.

I think so. I saw his pic together with her pic on the front page of the official SALT Entertainment.

I’m waiting for the time I’m more in the mood before I watch that one. 🥰 I just finished Waikiki 2 and I thought he was so lovely there. You couldn’t really relate him with Han Ji-pyeong of Start-Up. U-sik is a typical guy-next-door that is just so swoon-worthy. 🥰

Lol, I can't believe such interesting discussions happened in a PSH post of all people!! Talk about surprising :D

Did you watch Catch the Ghost? He's so swoony there, as well as badass!! I lol though, you've multiple women on the show try to flirt with him & make heart eyes on him. I mean, hello?! Same lol.

I'm actually on a KSH drama watching marathon! Watching Strongest Delivery Man, Catch the Ghost, and Waikiki 2. As for Waikiki 2, it was very cringe watching it ngl.

But KSH, he really goes all out there with the comedic scenes. I think his most attractive trait is the fact that he doesn't care about looking 'ugly' or 'crazy.' For a sec, the noona romance he had in Ep 1 was actually kinda hot? Made me wonder, if he had a noona romance drama, it would be nice to see b/c he could pull it off :D

@soulsearch12 Loved him to pieces in Waikiki 2 and Start-Up. 🥰 Right, he wasn’t afraid or hesitant when it came to acting whatever role given to him. Even his ugliest face is still adorable! 😍 (what am I saying?) He can flirt with all things on watch - animated or not.

I’m taking this marathon thing slowly to give me more time to appreciate him in each role. Many of his work are on my to-watch list so I’m happy and all. As you, I am a little concerned about him seeming sensitive, but I think I’ll just support him this way and hopefully things work out for him in the short and long run. It’s like him being born on earth to be protected LoL. 😅

@mmmmm Lol yeah. Don't think he can look ugly in his whole life. Speaking of, I feel like in all his dramas, his family/home life is crap or really sad :( He's a chemistry magnet lol. Chemistry isn't just about love, but also synergy with others.

That's a pragmatic way to view one's work! I think after SDM/CTG, I'm going to take a mini break, and hopefully resume WTW2.

Oh yeah, the business isn't so kind :( I do worry about SALT and handling critics like that. They really should be better at handling those things. Wouldn't want to lose a star player b/c of that.

"I think I’ll just support him this way and hopefully things work out for him in the short and long run." Haha, ditto!! I just hope he remains humble and lovely as always, and stays clear of being involved in any scandals or controversies going forward. Hope he can become a top notch world class award winning actor in his 40s!!

Woah, how did I miss this interesting agent talk?! It's like Hollywood, you've WME, CAA, and UTA. Three top dogs. And then smaller agencies that follow. It depends, certain agencies are there to create stars, and others are there to cultivate their talents acting career. I do agree that PSH, could go to a bigger agency or even set up her own, but her remaining at Salt, means that they give her creative and personal freedom which many agencies don't. Plus, b/c she's loyal, she'll receive bigger pay cuts and bigger deals. If she were at BH, she would be second tier, after actresses like PBY, HHJ, and HJM would get better offers before PSH.

It’s not related to your comments, but the fans of some actors are making it harder for others to become their new fans. I think I’ll adopt the scan-reading approach: Skip some comments entirely. I still have a more negative feeling towards the actors though when their fans are so hardcore. That’s just the byproduct of their own fans’ actions I guess.

Swear God, I didn't mean to diss her. She's okay, many actors worse than her. But yeah I'm agree she needs some improvement in romance part. People who think they dont need to improve, means they dont want to be better.
But the fans are seeing/reading lines in negative light so yeah every comment seems like an attack against their fave actor. I'm okay with it though it is just one of nature of K drama fans. lol.
I mean she is lucky to have good agents, many good actors out there dont have good agent, landing with bad project after bad project despite their good acting skill.

Oh please! How many works of hers have you watched? Her fans never said she needs no improvement but your statement simply discredited all her hardworks and achievements as it her agency is so powerful to give her the whole career.
But when her fans called you out, you proceeded to play victim: it’s not what you meant.

If you don't nothing just be silent her agency doesn't have any part of her own success beside I think she is skillful enough to be part of great projects she doesn't take the place of any ones here

As a matter of fact I really don't know anything about Park Shin-hye or her agency, but I do wonder whether she'd agree with your statement that her agency played no role whatsoever in her success.

You wrote it you don't know about them we knows how this agency using her name and fame and give nothing you could find her korean fans who are saying somethings

You've misunderstood my point. Whatever fans may say, at the moment none of us knows what Park Shin-hye herself thinks about her agency. Perhaps they really have been exploiting her fame, but perhaps they have actually been supporting her in ways that we know nothing about, since most of us are only familiar with the big agencies' methods. If the fans are right, then poor Kim Seon-ho has been completely and utterly duped, hasn't he?

@knewbie Oh no.. KSH mustn't be duped at all costs! 😱

But I don't think he was duped.. He sure knew about the agency so for me they all knew what they signed up for. I'm sure they thought this was the one they wanted.

@knewbie KSH was at a no name agency before SALT. He only signed up with SALT b/c his prior agency kicked him out b/c they wanted him to go to a better one that's more equipped. As of now, he's the biggest name (male) in SALT. Positives: He gets more care/attention/prob. first better scripts. Negatives: They only handled one big star (PSH), so they might not be as equipped compared to other top dogs (Namoo, BH, Soop, KeyEast) to handle one's rising fame. Not as many connections too.

As for KSH, he has said he loves his agency a lot. And they do provide him loads of designer clothing :D, so they must take good care of him. He might get a better offer from a bigger agency, but its better to stay loyal than jump ship sometimes.

If defending and protecting their biases from non-sense hate and bashing making you don’t like her fans or her, then too bad.
Her career has been successful without you liking her or her fans in the last 17 years. Her dramas and movies have been popular even without your support. And there are many new fans she gained after each works. It’s no loss for her really.
PSH or any actress deserves better fans than you who think it’s ok to hate or discredit their hardwork. To be honest I stopped coming here because how much people here bashing actresses. I only come here to defend Her. And this place looks pretty dead compared to years ago so I think many probably think this place is toxic like me.

If you think this is a toxic place then don’t come by all means. I think it’s ok for us. 🥺

And regarding your bias, your wish is granted.

Making a list (and checking it twice, it being Xmas season) of all the angry/argumentative posters. Looking forward to this drama and cogent, respectful discussions with fellow Beanies.

LMAOOOOO

she made SALT all the connections that agency have today are the connections Park Shin Hye made while working the industry they did nothing for her and her career they don t even promote her she promotes her self she is literaly doing them charity beacause they giver her freedom and she is so loyal and relationships are above everything when it comes to her that is why she is loved and respected by so many people in the industry

So here is the deal on the figure Sisyphus in Greek mythology from the Ancient History Encyclopedia:
SISYPHUS: THE MYTH is pre-produced so it is possibly ‘in the can’ already. Interestingly the synopsis at AsianWiki includes this line about CSW’s character:
“ After his older brother's death 10 years ago, he has exhibited eccentric behavior. The company's stock price has fluctuated accordingly.” We know CSW can do ‘eccentric’.
Right now I am on episode 15 of FLOWER BOY NEXT DOOR (2013) which was prescribed for me as an antidote to DO DO’s ending. I have enjoyed watching YSY at his hyper best but I this is my first Park Shin-hye drama and I have enjoyed her performance. I did not know she was also in PINOCCHIO which is a drama I would like to catch up on.
Anyway being a big Cho Seung-woo fan I will be there for SISYPHUS always with the caveat on availability on a legal site.

Those 2 are my most fav character of Park Shin Hye so I hope you enjoy as much as I do.
And if you want to see a bit of her "fighting skill" as a teaser for Sisyphus: The myth you can also check out Doctors and drama Alive. The call is also very good as her latest movie if you are into psychological thriller

Yay, you're almost finished! I hope you enjoyed the "antidote". I was rewatching some of my favourite scenes, like the epic karaoke battle: https://youtu.be/mbjkzNzOgi0 Go Dok-mi is one of my favourite heroines ever.

I remember PINOCCHIO was a fun drama with several faces you will recognize.

Thanks for the FBND recommendation. Episode 16 tonight. Lol there is even a cliffhanger at the end of ep. 15. C'mon.
I am also pleased that PINOCCHIO passes muster with you.
Confession--I recently took notice of PINOCCHIO when scenes from it were played on the DB video 'thingy' that runs on the top and side. I noticed Lee Jong-suk's hair!

This may turn out to be superb although I did sigh at the now stereotypical reversal: female/warrior; male/ rescued. Why do strong women have to beat people up to be recognised as being strong. Seems a limited understanding of where a woman's strength can reside.

Agree with this. This type of reversal can be good if done right -- for a good chunk of its run, I thought Flower of Evil fit into this category. However, this isn't the only way for a person -- male or female -- to be strong. For me, a good example is my late grandmother (God bless her soul) was one of the strongest women I've ever know. She dealt with the tragic loss of four children yet still managed to raise nine children into adulthood, ensuring each of her surviving children ended up well-educated with good jobs. She ran a household through varying (indeed, sometimes trying) financial circumstances. She cared for her parents and her sisters when they were ill, and cared for her father-in-law in his final days. She did all this without ever losing her sense of optimism and hope, without ever stopping to complain or lose her sense of generosity. She wasn't a "strong" woman according to modern standards -- she wasn't professionally and educationally accomplished, nor did she work in a field traditionally male-dominated -- but I can hardly think of anybody I know who was stronger than her.

That's what I call strong. There's so much more to it than butt kicking.

Lovely tribute to your grandmother and the kind of strength that’s mostly absent from dramas, but is the foundation to so many of our lives.

Yeah, woman can be strong just being a woman. My mom is strong woman for raising me to be what I am today. I am strong woman too, even people hurt me and the world is crumbling, I'm going to stay being nice with people and have positive thinking that the world is going to be better if we want it to be. ha ha ha

These days, crediting an successful actress career to her agency even they simply did nothing for her and you know nothing about the agency nor her history is an example of strong women. And it’s all about you...

If you are a strong woman then do me a favor and learn a bit about PSH to see what kind of woman who you discredited is lol. That girl has no one but herself but growing up beautifully inside out. That’s why her fans like me wants to protect her.

@pohonphee *pats* let’s just disregard certain comments. We have nothing against PSH or any actors here so let us be happy and all. 😊

I’m having sukiyaki for lunch now.

I should have said, I totally love, love, love everything Jo Seung-woo does, and will watch him forever. Park Shin-hye was superb in Call and #ALIVE. I will certainly be watching this. It's dinner time here. 😉😉😉 A *woman can be strong just being a woman*

I have the same problem with people that think women who are crying are weak too. In reality there are many strong women don’t fight or even argue or showing rude attitude , even crying yet going through with challenges and become successful at the end. But kdrama fans are quite shallow. They think women who can fight or act bitchy or crazy are strong. Like most even love and support villain roles because they are so badass and look beautiful. Lol
But for PSH, she simply has been thirsty of an action role since The Heirs and finally getting this role to release her full thirst. She did a bit on Doctors and Alive but they were not enough for her. So just for her long time wish and because people in the industry told her she didn’t fit to action roles due to her rounder body, I can’t wait to see her killing all the action scenes. She didn’t need stunt double in Alive and Doctors.
Honestly I’m a bit concerned with the writer of this drama as they don’t have any big project before. But knowing SBS was fighting for this script as well as PSH and CJW often have good eyes on projects so I decided to trust them for now. But as PSH fan, I’m supporting this because it’s a role she has waited for almost 10 years especially after the disappointment and lesson that Memory of Alhambra brought to her

1000 percent this!
Women characters are still sterotypical and that too in extremes.
This is also why I like Kang Ah Reum (lol plugging Spies here too), she isn't the sterortypical badass but we know she's immensely strong. Reminds me of how kpop has sexy or cute concepts for women but many others for men. You can be strong and still not be a fighter.

Kang Ah Reum is wonderful and unique in k-drama. She's brave, intelligent, intuitive, forgiving, and reasonable. She cares for people, but she's nobody's dummy.

She can hit a bulleye too.

Kang Ah-reum is basically who I want to be in my next life. So refreshing to see a FL who didn't go from smart with agency to a melted damsel mess who needs saving.

I enjoy watching bad-ass butt kicking women, and I also enjoy Jo Seung-woo, so I'll give this one a try.

Park shin hye and action is a combination I can never say no to. I feel it's her strongest combination, as her character from Doctor's has left an impression on me till today. She sadly gets overshadowed in her drama's in favour of the male lead or weak writing for her character so fingers crossed she shines in this. I really love my girl and hope she gets to shine here, especially with a co-star like jo Seung woo.

The combination of quantum, time, and
Sisyphus makes it sound like JSW will be trapped in a time loop as in Groundhog Day, where he has to repeat the same task over and over. I'm not sure how combat skills will help rescue him from another dimension, unless it's a video game dimension.

Yes it does sound like that. Stuck trying to save his brother over and over and failing.

Shivers It sounds like A... the drama that shall not be mentioned. Regardless I'm sucker for sci fi drama with enough dose of romance as cream on top of not too sweet cake.

Ohmy. Don’t remind me of that drama... it had so much potential. But when they hinted incest, I noped my way out

Has there been a kdrama that did time travel well? Forgive me if my memory fails me. The recent time travel/parallel universe-themed dramas we had this year left me wanting..

IMHO... no. Even the 'good' dramas that people like overall tend to throw the rules of their own worldbuilding out the window in the finale for a happy ending. Tunnel and Queen In Hyun's Man are terrible for this. Also Rooftop Prince. Hit the Top is another egregious example. Nine did it too. I'll stop listing. It's the same problem. Korea is almost universally terrible at time travel.

Tunnel, Nine: Nine Times Travels, Train, 365: Repeat The Year

@leetennant Thanks for the examples. I enjoyed Nine and Queen Inhyun's Man despite the mishandling of the time travel aspect. So I guess I'll see if I can forgive that in this drama if the rest of the plot are well-written and executed.

@pohonphee I'm curious about 365: Repeat the Year. 😊

I like Time Travel drama when they make The Time Ovelord, becomes the baddie who is so just, chilling, unbending and unforgiving. He he he

@dee23 it has a lot of surprises. Love it and Quirky Lee Joonhyuk not to miss

@leetennant, I thought Nine stuck to its rules?

@frabbycrabsis No, at the end she just kind of went, "whatever!"
I think people assumed the ending must make sense and so structured a post-hoc rationalisation around it. But it didn't really.

*slides in*

Kairos.

Not a time travel drama but a time crossing. Only 2 eps left. Solid writing as of ep 14. The writer did a fantastic job with the world building and rules for the time crossing. Kudos to the whole team for making the drama happen. Wishing for a good and sound ending for such a good thriller kdrama so far. Ps: join me watch Kairos 😆.

@katakwasabi, honestly at this point, Shin Sung-rok's people should be paying you for all the marketing. Never change. And I'm so sorry that I haven't been on this journey with you, but maybe next he'll do that daddy day care drama we've been wanting.

@egads Kairos deserves hype for the story. It just happens that SSR is part of the cast and I'm happy he chose this drama as his 2020 drama. Imo, if the cast was different, someone else would hype it up instead of me...because apart from the phenomenal acting, it has a solid script and amazing production value 😎.

I'm in for the epical show!

I knew that She Would Never Know/Sunbae, Don't Put on That Lipstick will be the first one in part of JTBC's 10th anniversary. I hopefully think that Sisyphus will might be the next after Sunbae. Belated happy birthday next month/next year to one of the Korean cable network with a lot of successful hits, JTBC!

I was going to write that I'm looking forward to this but good lord the comments!!
If there are going to be disgruntled fans dissecting every line anyone says about this show as some sort of grand anti-PSH conspiracy, then I'm not sure I want to watch it anymore. Or at the very least I will stay away from the recaps and comments about the show.

well said!!

Actually her fans don't have problem with constructive criticism but in dramaBeans for years there are a trend to abuse her nothing related to criticism to be honest someone above talking about fishing kiss , other dening her own efforts and that the good projects come to her not because her own skills but agents of course there isn't and respect to actress and won't be every article about her turned about her character in heirs nothing more nothing less

Actually this is a bit weird..I followed comments and recaps for MoA and I don't remember seeing any stans being over protective or anything..I wonder if I just removed any from my memory or the comment section was actually chill (everyone too busy dissing the writer maybe xD)

I don't know, I said some scathing things about her character in MoA and don't remember these deranged unregistered's popping up. But I don't remember them being so bad before this year on a lot of comment threads. They turned up for TKEM, Forest and quite a few other dramas as well this year.

i clicked this post thinking 173 comments are about the drama but ://

I thought I'd watch this for CSW (for whom I thought I'd watch anything!), but the premise does not make me want to. Also, I'm sure PSH is a great actress, but I've never really enjoyed her performances much.

"one of the founders of a successful company called Quantum and Time... when Jo finally learns the truth behind his brother’s death, he embarks on a dangerous journey that will forever change his life..."

Time travel. It's time travel. And he gets stuck trying to save his brother's life and failing repeatedly. It sounds like a film script. I can't say this PD's works are my favourite and I'll to try couch my reservations about why and how people cast KSH in terms that will not attract the crazy trolls (too late). JSW is amazing, truly wonderful. But Korea has not fared well with its foray into time travel this year. Basically I'm a bit ambivalent about the whole thing.

I’m tempted to offer a bet on whether the title is directly related to the story’s main arc or is tangential at best?

It's too early to say, I can tell from Frabby's comments that she's optimistic. I'm going to wait and see how the first few play out. This is a policy that served me well this year with shows like Alice.