Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

SailorJumun

Currently weecapping: Lovestruck in the City

Sunbae, Don’t Put on That Lipstick: I had high expectations for this one, being a huge fan of noona romances. And my expectations were neither met or ruined; they just went in a different direction. For one, I didn’t expect the cheating to be revealed so soon. And two, I didn’t expect the fake relationship angle (if Song-ah actually chooses to get her revenge that way). We’re starting off with a series of complicated situations, but I find them deliciously complicated.

True Beauty: I’m a week behind on this (Curse you, Time, for getting away from me!) but in no hurry, since I’m enjoying every bit of this dorky couple. I love them, but I almost feel bad for loving them because of poor Seo-joon and Soo-jin. It’s not easy being in a love square. Or watching one.

Mr. Queen: I’m ashamed of how hard I laughed at the McDonald’s joke… *hangs head*

Run On: Interesting week. It took me a while to warm up to Sooyoung’s character, but I thought her newfound feelings and her having no idea what to do with them was surprisingly sweet and genuine. Mi-joo was also full of surprises, as I didn’t expect Episode 12’s ending at all. Or, at least, I was hoping it wouldn’t happen.

missvictrix

Currently weecapping: Mr. Queen, True Beauty, and Sunbae, Don’t Put on That Lipstick

Run On: A few random thoughts: (1) Whenever I see Sun-kyum going for a run, I feel vaguely inspired to try running myself (maybe I should use Mi-joo’s cool app to get me started), but then I remember that I actually don’t like running at all. (2) It’s been a while since there’s been a drama with two separate love lines that are equally enjoyable and could even stand on their own. We need more of this. (3) The more I watch, the more I really like Dan-ah. Her moments of honesty (with herself and others) are great. (4) Mr. Jung and Mi-joo giggling over his kitten made my entire day.

quirkycase

Currently Recapping: Cheat on Me, If You Can

Mr. Queen: Things got intense this week. I didn’t expect that ending, but everything is ramping up now that everyone has started making their moves. When I originally saw the episode count for this drama, I worried there’d be tons of filler, but the plot is more involved than I expected. I’m looking forward to how recent events change dynamics going forward and what Cheoljong’s next move will be.

Get Revenge: Everything wrapped up okay, but I had honestly lost interest by the end. The drama started out fun and kind of quirky but turned more stereotypical and uninventive as it went along. I was disappointed we didn’t get more out of Hae-ra and Min-joon’s relationship since there was a lot to explore there, but it never really took off. Instead, we got the shoehorned in romance of the side characters. Overall, the drama wasn’t bad, but it could’ve been a lot better.

Run On: I love that even when we get the expected beats, there’s often a twist to keep it fresh like with Young-hwa’s hilarious emotional meltdown at Dan-ah’s office. The same can be said for Mi-joo’s character. Yes, she’s a poor and hardworking woman who falls for a rich guy, but she’s doggedly pragmatic, stands up for herself, and is confident. There’s none of that Candy optimism or timidity that often comes with the territory. The thoughtful way characters and relationships are developed is probably my favorite thing about this drama.

Tags: , , , , ,

You’re not alone at the McDonald’s joke! I laughed so loud that it woke up my dog sleeping on my lap!

In True Beauty, I’m so getting a bad case of second lead syndrome.

Yes the McDonalds was so fun, even Cheoljong tried to justify the meaning of that word 😂😂😂

Also adding to the humor is Kim Jung-hyun delivering that line with such a straight and serious face.

Quite true 😂 His confused face at the beginning totally cracked me up, he was so disoriented, poor him 😅

His deadpan face totally sold that scene. His type of humor sold me on Welcome to Waikiki too.

I didn't realize that it was PPL for McDonald's vegan burgers until I read some comments online. But we do have to admire the King for coming up for this oh-so-deep but also hilarious justification for the dishes based only on some bad doodles.

Awaken.I liked the ending!! I mean, this could have been a train wreck, but it wasn’t. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a memorable drama and has lots of plot holes, but the pace is always good, it’s entertaining and also rises some important questions about where the limit of ethics in investigating (whether it’s a medicine or a police case) lies. The end doesn’t always justify the means. Now I need another NGM drama, because I’m totally under his spell.

Subae, don’t put on that lipstick. I have mixed feelings about ML crossing the line so many times. I anticipate a lot of angst, and I don’t think I’m in the mood. I may try next week, or maybe not.

Run On Just when I think there can’t be anything more adorable than our main couple, our secondary couple rises to be just as cute. Loved everything in the drama, the acting, the pacing, how communication still stands in the center of it, and specially I loved SeonGyeom for understanding MiJoo’s boundaries and never crossing the line, listening to her and understanding why he had to keep his distance. The scene at her door front may be the first time they were really communicating without any translation needed.

Lovestruck in the city.So we know why EunOh run away from her life and decided to start anew in Jeju. Yes, I get her heart was broken and she didn’t deserve what she went through, but I’m afraid I can empathize with her behavior. There are endless ways she could have faced the situation without being the selfish coward she’s been, first the list seeking professional advise to deal with the betrayal she suffered. In the end she gave JaeWon a taste of her own medicine, when it’s crystal clear that JaeWon didn’t deserve it. But this lays the foundation for them to end up together. Also, I never trust someone who’s coming out of a committed relationship (she was) and falls for another person in a blink of an eye. She clearly used him.

Tree with deep roots keeps me fascinated. I’m so in love with this drama I have no words. I couldn’t care the less about the love story and all that stuff. Give me Han Suk Kyu as King Sejong and let him talk about the letters and his motives and how words can change the world and I could watch 100 episodes. As someone who’s deeply in love with languages and finds peace and logic in grammar structures I find every line he delivers as poetry.

I keep watching Prison Playbook and I have The Uncanny Counter on hold, because I’ve been a bit disappointed by the latest episodes, but given it ends this weekend I will try and finish it.

I always forget to add Lovestruck in the city because it isn't in the shows of the week, but yes I agree with your assessment. I do actually have a little bit of empathy for her. She did use him and felt bad afterward, which is why she left the first, but every action after that was all her and not justified.

My point too. I can empathize with her pain when his fiance cheated on her, but then... she treated JW like trash, and there was no reason to do it. He had been honest from the beginning and she knew it. I know she was in pain, and that's why she should have acted different when she actually knew the hell JW was going through.

I thought you'd be sageuked-out after SIX FLYING DRAGONS!
I still have to watch TREE WITH DEEP ROOTS but I'm knee-deep in Goguryeo dramas right now. I will get to it eventually, someday. I'm glad you find it fascinating.

The last part of SFD gave strength to begin TWDR, and I really appreciate having watched SFD before because now I understand all the politics much better. Having said this, it's all the philosophical discussion about creating hangul that fascinates me. When I put this in context and think about my country in 1446 (on the verge of a civil war, the country divided on so many kingdoms...) it's even more fascinated to learn about such an educated king.

I wish we have more Kaya sageuks.

@kiara I know you'd be the one who can answer this question - which one should I start first if watching TWDR and SFD? I'm not into sageuk but reckon these two are must watch if I had the time.

TWRD was filmed before SFD, although chronologically it's SFD and then TWDR. SFD has continuous references to TWDR that only now that I'm watching the second can get.
Also if you know very little about Korean History (as I do), watching SFD with the help of this link https://bodashiri.tumblr.com/post/137740642551/the-list-of-sfd-historical-info was really helpful because it's so much easier to understand the historical background on TWDR (I couldn't have gone through SFD without reading all the information after very episode).
Having said this, what to do? I'm happy with my choice, but I think there's no correct order to watch it.
Now maybe Kiara can help you more, because surely my answer is a mess 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

What @eazal said :).
You did a wonderful job explaining it!

@PYC you'll also notice that the writers were making an attempt to connect all 3 of their sageuks (QSD, SFD and TWDR) as kind of a trilogy.
TWDR is based on a novel by the author of PAINTER OF THE WIND so there is less historical facts compared to SFD and QSD.
TWDR can be a stand alone but watching in chronological order would make more sense imo.

@kiara and @eazal, thanks a lot for your respective advice - much appreciated. It seems some background reading would be very useful as a starting point. Let’s see where I can find the time.

Have you seen Jumong? I highly recommend it. A true masterpiece.😍 But, it is big like Six Flying Dragons.😅

JUMONG was my first drama and my first love. ❤️ I had no idea what I was getting into at the time and 81 episodes just flew by. I wouldn't be that quick to jump into such a long drama nowadays.

Ahahah me too! My teenage days were full of long dramas. Nowadays, I only watch dramas with 16 or 20 episodes (sometimes I only watch half and read the rest through recaps). I think the last somewhat long drama I watched was Rebel, another great drama that surpassed my expectations 🥰

Yay for Jumong. Han Hye-jin ❤️

Queen Soseono (the nation builder) is life <3.

Han Suk-kyu returned to dramaland with a bang! He'll always be my King Sejong.
It's too bad his film career took a dive when he was injured but I'm happy to see more of him in dramaland.

Prison playbook is sooooooooo good! Congratulations!

Tree with Deep Roots is one of the best sageuk out there. Every single character was awesome, and the reveals at the end made it more interesting. I absolutely loved Jang Hyuk in it🥰

@eazal,
In December I started TREE WITH DEEP ROOTS and love it. I just finished episode 16 where the King's alphabet is just about making its appearance. This might be of interest. I discovered that recently (like a week or so) Lee Min-ho has making these nifty short PSAs for the King Sejong Institute Foundation to promote the beauty of Hangeul. First a news article. Second a link to KSIF YouTube channel.

Thanks for sharing!

Lovestruck: Eun Oh going on vacation after a devastating break up and betrayal of a co-worker/friend totally makes sense. Re-inventing herself makes sense and shows a good faith effort to move forward with her life. Eun-Oh wanting to have rebound fling after the break-up totally okay as well. That's where everything stops. From there, she begins to consciously and intentionally use Jae Won. She was aware of what she was doing the moment she jumped in front of his car and at no point does she attempt stop herself after that. Not wanting to be discovered doesn't justify her in any way. Jae Won forgiving her is a foregone conclusion but I'm not sure how the writer convinces the audience to forgive Eun Oh. She's not very sympathetic.

All of this, so nicely articulated.

She mistreats her roommate Geon, too. Just because she's the girl and his landlord doesn't give her the license to boss him around. They're friends!

Mr. Queen: @sailorjumun don't be ashamed, I laughed and laughed. Also the fact the Kim Jung Hyun played it straight is a testament to his acting skill. This drama continues to be great in balancing humor with drama and I hope this continues. I am now really curious to see who planted the gunpowder, most beanies are saying the King and based on what is said I am inclined to agree with them. So it should be fun to see what happens.

Awaken: It was fine, mostly disappointing, but fine. The buried the lede by also giving him multiple personality disorder. Honestly it would have been more interesting if they had him playing both, but alas, many things could have been more interesting in this drama.

Cheat on Me if You can: Each episode reinforces that the housekeeper did it and seemingly to protect Yeo Joo from her cheating husbands ways. I can't wait for the final episodes.

The Uncanny Counter: We are in the final run, hopefully we see his friends before the end.

Sunbae: Dropped, possessive, creepy, and obsessive is not romantic, just toxic.

So many things were not explained in Awaken.
I knew there was a problem with him because there must be a reason for the lollypops (he made them when he was in the laboratory of the old man, and he was a drug dealer, so I thought he must be taking some drugs on them, and also remember how strong was Jamie's reaction when she had two), but so many things were not said. Also... how can anyone say that Yoon Sun Woo was a lead in this drama? He wasn't at all!

Sunbae: your approach is so accurate. I'm tempted to watch next week, but I don't think I will.

I honestly thought the lollipops were to prevent him from dying.

As for Sunbaem if you watch it and it gets better let me know, but I am out.

Oddly enough, the toxic masculinity part interests me; I want to find out if this un-PC-ness was deliberate or not and/or what they are going to do now that they are sunk up to the knees in it.

I will be shocked and go back and watch it, if that is addressed.

Queen Cheorin - sooooo goood this week! Until now I have been watching mainly for the comedy (which was still good, especially MacDonaldu 😂 And lady Choi didn't disappoint either 😀)... but... this time they stepped up even with the saguk's parts and some scenes were so intensive... being it the victory fan fight... or the lost fight of minds - my heart bled for the overpowered King and I was impressed with Kim Junghyun's actig.

Sunbae - it's pretty. Kim Rowoon is pretty, Won Jinah is pretty, the colors are pretty (and I somehow love the rainbow badge lanyard 😆). Some characters are not pretty. Neither is some behaviour of our Male Lead. But I think the show successfully captures the manhwa feeling and storytelling and with these manhwa lenses on it can be an interesting ride. I'm just not sure the actual story inerests me enough. So far I'm staying mainly for the noonas (and yes, the rainbow badge lanyard 😁).

Run On - the couples are cute... and intense... and sad... and funny... and swoony... and yet the highlight for me was the run of the three guys from Taewoong's fans. 😀 I hope Younghwa and Sunkyum adopt Taewoong... (and add Wooshik...and Youngil... and they may even sometimes kick the ball with Danah.)

Cheat on Me - missing the humour (and still don't see the purpose of Mirae and her story).

Watching slowly at the background - My Little Happiness and Rebel Princess.

I agree on CHEAT ON ME Mirae story line. At first it was used as a means of suspicion on the reformed cheating husband. But in the last two episodes Mirae's story went down a dark hole unrelated to the main story line and its resolution (unless, of course, her family is part of the Prayer Room).

I don’t know if I’ve seen the guy playing Young Hwa before, but he’s knocking it out of the park. The way he’s playing Young Hwa comes right up to the edge of seeming like a personality disorder, but he’s grounding it all very well - Young Hwa may have bizarre mood swings, but you get the feeling he’s enjoying them and leaning into them, rather than being overpowered by them. Like, he feels an instinct to be childish or emotional and then actively indulges himself in that whim. “Drama queen” would probably fit the bill here, but he’s able to pull it back - he’s having fun with his emotions, not controlled by them. And it’s hilarious in combo with Dan Ah, who appears to get that the emotions themselves are genuine (if exaggerated) and while she knows he’s being a bit manipulative with them, she’s the reverse (manipulative with deeply repressed emotion) so it all somehow gels?

His physical comedy is spot-on too. I. burst out laughing when I realized that the post-movie “I cry easily” thing was probably actually true! And his running posture - Sung Kyum looks professional and controlled, the idol is haphazardly towed, and Young Hwa has this hilarious leaning-back run that makes him look like a cartoon character whose legs started moving before the rest of him knew what was happening. Amazing.

I really do like this show a lot.

You very accurately described young hwa and his running style.😂 Even thinking about it now is making me burst with laughter

Kang Tae-Oh, the actor playing Yeong-hwa was in Tale of Nokdu as a second lead. I have just started watching it, so far his character is not as developed. You are right about how Yeong-hwa's emotions are genuine, that emotional outburst after the kiss - believable!, he is a final year student with enough anxieties plus coupled with Dan-ah's hot-n-cold approach, no wonder the poor guy burst into tears. But he did exaggerate his emotions when he saw Dan-ah being affected by it and manipulated them to kinda get back at her and the thing is she knows what he is doing.

CRICKET -

Australia Vs. India - 4th test mtach - Another awesome match.
The whole test series was awesome. It was clearly a cliche script that played too well in real life. Injured players, took painkillers to fight for the team, fight for a result which might not be a result in the eyes of non-viewers. Someone who couldn't even sit, someone who couldn't even run, someone had no experience, all came together, fought as one and in outcome is in front - Victory. Indian team should thank Australian management too, for being dumb to not have plan b and c. Cricket is a sport where strategy, tactics demand good attention and a captain is almost a king but all of it lacked from Australian side. Overall, A big win for Indian team considering the circumstances and atmosphere.

Many ways to define Cricket - but few short twitter videos of pujara alone on day 5 against Cummins enough to show 1 important facet of life live played in a sport named Cricket. And that day 5 of 4th test give you quite good political lessons too. More than any other political analyst could ever point out.

Pat Cummins showed top quality cricket through whole series. Those blue shinny eyes. He's the handsomest among every cricketer and his bowling makes you notice that more and more. He can beat all top consider Hollywood celebrities and i don't think any Asian idol or so called actor is any match for him.

Wagner played the test match with broken toe and the guy is a fast bowler. Ouch. This is what cricket is.

JAPAN -

Those who do not work - 6.5/10 - manga to live-action. Very few are watching this show. Yes. And so i'm watching it and i liked what i watched. Those who like spicy stuff and glamour - this show isn't for you. That's why on mydramalist noone made a comment. Superficiality of cute or hot snot defines the content.

My Daughter doesn't have a Boyfriend - 7 out of 10. Really? 7? woah. Why?
1. This is more like a gag mother-daughter comedy. I liked the humour.
2. too many references - many of them weren't even checked by translator.
3. Hamabe - tell ur agency that u r overworked. u look tried. This actually lowers your value in the market. People get bored easily.
4. Mother is shoujo girl, stepping into teenage years. But then shows that face that tells you, yeah yeah she actually is an adult and a mother.
5. Mother's childhood friend and ofcourse Okada Kenshi
6. -ve point the portrayal of fujoshi or otaku.

Aikatsu Planet - 3/10 ppl trash.

Haruka Ayase's new show - its interesting but i'm not into -ve stuff and violence scenarios so won't watch later episodes.

Love Me, Love Me Not - Omoi Omoware, Furi Furare - 4/10 shoujo manga to live-action aka shoujo trash. Nothing new, nothing special, nothing interesting. Good direction, ok acting, good music, bad writing. ok timepass.
covering a manga into 120minutes of a visual media is difficult job but possible, Most of the time writers not even try and then we get an outcome like this movie. As i have said this numerous times - always hold true - writer just picked this and that action, event that happened and served it to the audience as it is. Its like watching 5 minutes highlights of the whole story. Nuance, characters feelings, emotions, motivations are cutoff and what left to show is mere actions of characters which means no meaning in story and characters.Romance demands warmth of heart and shoujo trash dramas and movies lack this bit the most.

Korea + China + Thailand

Voice in the rain - thai - The only +ve this show has the way it tries so hard to be the non-thai tv drama. That's it.

Hello Debate Opponent season 2 - This one i'm quite interested in. the only youth chinese drama that i ever cared about.

Few other teenage romance Chinese trash is getting translated. checked and dropped.

PPL on - 3/10 - I'm right once more. yes. Its trash. When it comes so this kind of media i always come up with better outcome. Experience speak. Saw views that no one takes father seriously. seriously? A guy that has firm control over his family's actions. This alone enough to tell you where audience stands. As for the writer - trash writer. As i had said earlier writer is 1 trick rogue and you would be a big fool to fall for such cheap baits. Writer has the attitude that his fellows are cheapskates who not deserve the respect of being called a writer. But actually actions speak loud that who is the worst one. Characters themselves unfold the scam by 3rd week. Another overhyped korean romance trash. I can misjudge many things and regularly do so but when it comes to K+rom i'm mostly right.

Mitsuki Takahata - I considered her range of so called acting pretty limited. Its not like any other Asian so called actors can be called actors or deserved to be called actors. plastic face not makes you an actor. And a character makes an actor(celebrity). So i'm yet to get impressed by her skills, if any.

Riko Fukumoto surely has very nice voice. i really like her voice. Why? This is the only original thing that you can judge. Its media where Images are made, images are kept, so you can't say anything about a tv media being with surety.

Korean drama - SHUT UP - 6.5/10
1st time i'm giving a korean drama its own comment - wow.
This drama is way way better than PPL on. Episode 09-10 were so good. The way information bombardment strategy was used is what actually happens in real life. The way audience aka voter aka common man is manipulated through few words alone is shown quite good in this show. The way ratings, rankings, opinion polls are made and the way they shift the public view and momentum is real and done well via this show.
That's why i said from start - this show has purpose and theme and it actually works. Ofcourse its your cliche hero team assemble-to-fight-injustice drama and for that and few other things i deducted points from rating, but overall its a far meaningful watch and as usual very few are watching it and yes i'm watching it. HEH.

Royal secret agent (9-10): Its going strong and despite my initial dislike I am actually enjoying the story.

A love so beautiful ( 10-12): Cute as ever. I do wish for our leads to already start dating . Its halfway through the series and still they are stuck.

Lovestruck in city (9-10): I dont think I can take more of Eun o's blank stare whenever she gets a question of "why she did that?". So episode 10 gave us a hint on what could be the reason her fake persona? But again it's not an excuse for the mess she created. Waiting for the open thread to see reactions of beanies.

Sunbae dont put that lipstick (1-2) : Unimpressive. Still will give it a try for one more week

True beauty (11-12): So bad that they ruined Soo Jin's character with the jealousy trope. I started finding her expressions seriously frustrating. It's a relief that Su Ho love her for who she is. I hope this incident helps JK to be more strong. The icing on the cake was the scenes between SH and SJ. Those totally cracked me up 🤣🤣

Uncanny counter (13-14): So much violence and now the evil spirit went to the evil mayor. Waiting to see how they are gonna tackle the spirits since they are always one step ahead of our counters. I would love to see Hana kicking the Evil Lady's ass.

Mr queen (11-12) : Such an unpredictable drama. The 12th episode made me root for the King. The latter half when he stood there getting humiliated was totally heartbreaking. I was wishing for Mr.Queen to atleast say something but I guess we will get more action on that part in this week hopefully. Lastly that banquet made me crave for burgers so badly😋😋😋

Older
Lies within (16/16): Finally finished this one. It was all in all a decent watch though I have mixed feeling about the ending. I kept on asking myself " was this the only way? Was this really necessary". I guess I felt the possibility of sang hun orchestrating everything half way through the show when the focus was on JQ's contamination. Ho gyu's death was another blow. The captain lost all chances to redeem himself in my eyes with that murder.
The ending reminded me of an Indian film "Joseph" where the protagonist orchestrated his own death to expose the illegal medical activities.

Please dont date him (1-3): Totally enjoying this one. It's funny, decent and addictive.

Soo-jin was so good at the beginning. A badass female character who helped others. She was so righteous that it makes me so mad that the writers turned her evil because of jealousy😤 it means that all she stood for was for nothing at all😢

I hope that one day Ju-kyung and Su-ho can date freely and openly without any obstacles or fears. I want to see them as strong couple that overcomes every hurdle that comes in their way ❤️

@missvictrix I have the exact same train of thoughts about the running! 😁

@dorotka Glad I'm not the only one ;) He just looks so free and calm when he's running...

...I was even contemplating buying running shoes at one point 😁 ...and then remembered I really don't like running...

"...but maybe this time will be different," she thought to herself

RUN ON: Have I told everyone how much I love this drama? It's so refreshing to watch a drama without a love triangle. This is the kind of a drama where you really have to pay attention to the conversation.

MR. QUEEN- I loved the cooking scenes on Ep12 but I'll probably continue watching this on ff mode. I don't care about the politics, tbh. I mean who watches a saeguk for that?

Sunbae's Lipstick- The first ep made me excited for the second ep but the 2nd ep unexpectedly took a turn into melo-makjang territory. Will probably continue watching though.

Lovestruck in the City- I love Rinyi and Kyungjoon! I would love to have them as friends. The latest ep made me excited for the next one.

Youn's Stay- I want to help them cause I feel like they need more manpower. I want to visit them too cause I'm falling for Woo shik. Sadly, he's younger than me so I can't put him on my Oppa list.

Running Man- This week's ep was so funny. The PD smelling the members' feet made me laugh so hard. RM works best when they don't have guests. I love them so much.

If he is handsome, he is Oppa 😉 (-Answer Me 1988)

I'm loving Run On too. Two romances, no triangles.

Sunbae is still interesting me, but mostly because it's so pretty.

Lovestruck has finally answered my questions and it's delivering some great friendships. I'm missing Minho.

I may be the only one, but I am REALLY enjoying Mr Queen’s political aspect. Sometimes sageuks go broad but shallow - tons of players but with such an intricate process (usually generational) that I get completely exhausted. This one’s narrow but deep, and I really like that it has some parallels to a modern workplace. I generally know who’s doing what and why, whether that’s a power play or emotional impulse.

I’m delighted this wasn’t a hijinks-heavy body swap; I know some people are disappointed that this isn’t a 50/50 modern/Joseon split, but that’s a heavily-traveled path. It’s much more interesting to have a modern man stuck in a Joseon queen’s body, not just with her physical form but the hormonal cocktail and memories too. And I love that Bong Hwan is a pretty free spirit and not completely paralyzed by an attraction to the King; he understands what he’s feeling, and while he’s trying not to get too into it, he’s not freaking out in some sort of gay panic.

Good show all-round, and the cooking is a great break from the palace intrigue.

''who watches a sageuk for that?''
me: i-i do??

😅😅😅 The political aspects is exactly what made me decided to watch the drama. when I saw the PR going around for the drama, I was excited but not sold enough to watch it because I dont really do well with pure comedies 😅 but when my sister told me about the politics going around the drama, I was finally sold 100% to pick it up and join in the fun! I mean, its not a sageuk if there isn't any clan wars is it? That's what makes a sageuk, sageuk.

The banquet arc truly is a ride! Love how our Mr queen took over the kitchen with everyone's agreement that the Queen is "officially" at the banquet. (Please save our poor physicians needles!! )

I mostly spent this week watching work emails flood my inbox, and then watching my bedroom ceiling as I tried to stop worrying and sleep instead. But a few precious moments were spent watching:

Run On: which remains my greatest source of TV happiness right now. 12 episodes and going strong, stays interesting, and gives me all the Feelings. It makes me wish so much that I spoke Korean, because I'm sure the Netflix subs are screwing us over.

100 Days My Prince: moving slowly through this one, but I like that it's easy to watch (and sometimes half watch). I'm generally a fan of Nam Ji-hyun, even if the show doesn't wow me.

Busted! Season 3: I don't generally watch variety shows, but somehow I got started with Busted! S1 and have kept watching. I found the first two seasons pretty funny, but I've only just started S3 and, y'all, it's kind of dark. I feel like it's more polished and dealing with some heavier stuff than expected - not sure if that's good or bad yet, but I'm kind of already missing the antics. Lee Kwang-soo is back, so I've really had my heart set on some stitches in my side from laughing. Fingers xd.

I also caught some of the 2020 APAN Star Awards today with it on in the background. I generally like awards shows, but the whole online/no audience thing - which was EXACTLY the right thing to do! - just isn't the same. Makes me miss "normal" life. Silver lining: it reminded me of soooo many good dramas from last year that I saw and have yet to watch!

I think you're right about the Netflix subs for Run On. Every other line, I'm legitimately confused. I think, "Why would you say that there?" or "What does that even mean?". I thought that it might have just been poor writing; it's this writer's first work, and perhaps the attempts at quirky dialogue are making the characters just not talk like people. But the thing is, I'm not bad at Korean, and I can tell that the dialogue flying back and forth is more loaded than the Netflix subs would imply. Maybe they're trying to simplify things, and the meaning is obscured in the process?

This!
My mind boggles at how good the dialog must actually be, if I am continuously knocked sideways with 'not the best of subs'.

This is EXACTLY my reaction when I watch it!!

It's so meta when Mi-joo talk about translation and we're watching this with the subs!

I think for some of the things, if they were to translate all the nuance, you'd have to have notes that you'd have to pause at and that can disrupt the flow of viewing. I never mind pausing to read more carefully, but I'm guessing for a general netflix audience, they have to simplify. With how fast these translations come out, I do wonder if there will be revisions after the series is done.

I wish there was some way that you could watch a "translator's" cut, with their notes or further explanation/commentary appearing on screen. You sometimes get that on Viki, and I really appreciate that.

Yes! I know that this is probably the situation in many a k-drama I've watched on Netflix, but I don't think it's mattered so much to me before. I do a lot of writing for my work, and words are important to me. In this drama, words - and communication in general, of course - are so important. I think that's why it frustrates me.

I read translation of the kiss scene between Yeong-hwa and Dan-ah, and the Netflix subs don't give justice to the original dialogue. Despite not knowing Korean, you can see that the subs are trying to simplify things. Its amazing that a few words can completely change the tone of the scene and how the perspective of the translator plays a huge part in how they see and translate the dialogues.

Did you find an alternate translation somewhere? I'd love to read it!

I think it was on a twitter post. Sorry! i can't find it now.

agree about Run On Netflix subtitles, the dialogues are wittier and heavier than whatever Netflix shows us. but i do kinda understand tho because Danah and Mijoo talk so fast. maybe they simplified it so we can keep it up with their conversation

I'm sure there's an element of that - after all, they have to keep the subs moving with the story. It would be awesome if, after it's done airing, we get some kind of Director's Commentary cut. This is one show I'd definitely watch that for.

Can you imagine how self-conscious the translators must be working on this show? The entire thing must be so meta for them.

Ohhh 100 Days My Prince 😮 I watched just half of that drama, I had to drop because I had no time (too many stuff to do to finish my graduate degree). I have to spare some of my time now to complete it (but perhaps I will start from the beginning again)🙂

The good thing about watching a drama like this one when you have little time is that it's a pretty easy watch. And it's a feel-good one, too, so that always helps. 😊 Good luck with your studies!

Thanks 😉 oh I forgot to mention that I watched it when it aired in 2018 (so its been 2 years since I've finished my studies).

BTW, I remember that the first half was an easy watch. How about the second half? Does it get too serious? Too much politics? Or it still feels easy going like the first half?

For me, it's a light and easy watch up to the end. The second half might have a little heart breaking here and there, but I think the overall vibe is still light and it feels good.

@mmmmm thanks 😉 it sounds more appealing that way (not in the mood for angst).

CHEAT ON ME: (Ep 13-14): Cho Yeo Jeong's subtle but powerful expressions of her hard shell character really makes this show great. It is really delivering on its mystery theme with little clues now starting to add up to give viewers a chance to make their own theories. This may turn out to be one of the best shows of the year.

LEE SI YOUNG TIKTOK Videos: I found them on YT. LSY is hilarious in this short stories/gags.

Run On (Episode 11-12) - Mood: B+
There was clearly an attempt to make the 3rd-quarter breakup cliche palatable given the cliffhanger and I applaud the bravery but I still have to say no: we’ve been shown that Mi Joo isn’t someone who would cower to external pressure at all (in fact, she’s someone who clearly stands her ground and then retreats) so this decision does feel slightly off. I was expecting her to confide in Sun Gyum when she discovered the stalking, him giving her a heads up about his father and her splashing the cold water at the father instead! I’m also nervous about the upcoming warfare within Dan Ah’s family.

Sunbae, Don’t Put on That Lipstick (Episode 1-2) - Mood: D
JTBC, my dear, SBS and MBC aren’t airing anything for the next 2 months, KBS is airing sageuks back-to-back and tvN is airing sci-fi thrillers back-to-back: this is the perfect opportunity for you to grab my heart with a show without all the throne-fighting tropes and mind-puzzling plot holes! But you just had to ruin it with this cheating storyline which is very hard to write without resorting to poor characterisation choices. And don’t get me started on the male lead who’s rude, creepy and invasive: the female lead can handle herself thank you very much. 2nd female lead: writing makes me puke.

Mr. Queen (Episode 11-12) - Mood: C
Literally starting off the second half with a bang, are we? If I was to be the writer, it is obvious that the culprit has to be someone not from the Kim or Jo clans to make things narratively interesting, in fact, the whole thing should be planned by the King himself as martyring himself would create chaos in which he can hide and rebuild after being exposed. The ‘Nothing I can do will make a difference’ line points to him giving himself for sacrifice, while the ‘Please’ line and gazing up is a prayer that the blast won’t kill him? Please at least give me something to be happy about when it comes to plot?

The Uncanny Counter (Episode 13-14) - Mood: C-
One kid helped So Mun realise how to harness his unique ability (featuring the Truck of Doom) while another kid helped to prevent Evil Spirit from being banished to Hell: of the two kids, I find the latter deus ex machina more palatable since there was sufficient narrative reason for Evil Spirit to go to the orphanage as opposed to So Mun coincidentally witness the kid running into the middle of the street. And of course them kids featured as Crazy Lady’s hostages! But I’m rolling my eyes at the plot armour that both Evil Spirit and So Mun had this week: yes I understand there’s still the finale to go.

Also watching:
Cheat on Me, If You Can (Episode 13-14) - Mood: C, I doubt the finale will be able to answer all questions.
True Beauty (Episode 11-12) - Mood: D-, After this week’s episodes it’s definitely damage control mode now.

I've been on a Japanese drama binge lately, and I'm not in a hurry to get back to my ongoing shows. In two weeks, I've watched Dele, Satsui no Michinori, and Watashitachi wa Douka Shiteiru! Next on the agenda is MIU 404, but these dramas need to be talked about first.

Dele: I looooooved this! Dele was experimental. It felt like it was constantly playing with its style, like an anthology of very different stories tied together loosely by concept. Although the cases of the week were a little hit and miss, when they hit they REALLY hit. For instance, one week is all about spirituality, and the literal ghost of a client leads our heroes to the body of a murdered woman. It's bonkers, but it strikes this perfect tone that makes it gripping nonetheless. The penultimate episode is definitely the best one, and arguably the best murder mystery story I've ever seen. I really recommend watching just for that episode. But aside from this, Dele is led by powerhouse actors - Masaki Suda, especially, was a great casting choice. He does intense and goofy equally well, which was crucial. The image of him with a bad mullet and a purple tie-dye shirt is one I'll never forget, that's for sure. Anyhow, I'll stop rambling, just know that this a fantastic drama.

Satsui no Michinori: Although this show wasn't really for me, I need to push it anyway. Satsui no Michinori is a black comedy about two men who are basically just really bad at planning a murder - it's goofy and charming, and didn't overstay its welcome. It also had a really great ending, it was very cleverly plotted. I did like it, I swear, but I have to say that the humour and pacing just weren't right for me. For some people, this will be a masterpiece, but for me it dragged its feet to the finishing line.

Watashitachi wa Douka Shiteiru: Why did no one tell me how good this is?? It's dark and twisted and batshit crazy and I adore it! This drama has a timelessness to it, balancing the addictive plot of a classic drama with the stylish flair of a modern one in this fantastically makjang package. It wasn't the most subtle drama ever, that's for sure (Tsubaki's mother wins Villain of the Year hands down for being so psychotically, disgustingly, deliciously, hysterically evil that I cackled whenever she appeared), and it hit a lot of familiar beats, but goshdarnit it was just SO MUCH FUN!

I admit, I started this binge because I was afraid of my Korean shows. I'm enjoying Run On just fine (although not loving it as much as everything else), but Queen Cheorin is becoming a bit of a heavy commitment as the elements I love are obscured by the elements I don't, and I'm terrified of The Uncanny Counter now that the main writer has left. Maybe it was for the best, I don't know, but I see the kickass found family angle taking the backseat in the last four episodes and I don't want that. So yeah. Live long the Japanese drama binge.

Have you watched Border?

No, I haven't! What's it about? Is it good?

It's a Japanese crimi series, with Oguri Shun 🙂 The main detective gets shot and the bullet is still lodged in his head and thanks to that he can see the dead people (victims). He still needs to find the evidence and get the culprits, but the prior knowledge helps. The cases are interesting and pose some philosophical questions about what's good and what is evil... and where is the border between... I watched when it aired and quite liked it. (There is also a Special).

You had me at Oguri Shun, but the plot sounds really really interesting! I'll watch that after MIU 404, I think.

@frabbycrabsis Oguri Shun alone always is a good reason :p

Thanks for these recs - will check them out! I haven't heard of the first two, but have heard of Douka Shiteiru and that one got mixed reviews...but based on what you say here I think I'll at least check it out.
Have you seen Kono koi wo atatamemasu ka? I posted about it on my fanwall. It's so cute, cozy, and an easy watch!

Oooh, no, I haven't seen that, it sounds lovely! I just looked it up, and I don't recognise any of the actors, so I think it'll be an interesting watch.
Did you watch Neechan no Koibito? It only ended at the beginning of the month, and it was maybe the most joy-filled show I've ever seen, it was beautiful.

Haha yeah I watched it with @kimbapnoona. It was very wholesome ☺️ we thought it could use a bit more drama or excitement, and especially a grander a Christmas tree lmao but a good watch overall!

Hahahah, you're right, there was literally zero conflict between the characters. I had separate issues with it, but I quite liked that it was so infectiously optimistic! 2020 has been posing us this question of how will we recover from all the hurdles thrown our way, and it feels like Neechan no Koibito was born to show us the answer. It's just all love and kindness.

Unnatural (2018) with Ishihara Satomi as a pathologist is my J-drama rec. It's everything that Korea's Investigation Couple tried but failed miserably to be.

You recommend well, Unnatural is my favourite drama! 😆

You might want to start Unnatural before Miu 404, because its from the same writer & some of the casts show up in Miu 404 😊😊🙂 & its my fav Ishihara satomi drama ever ^^. Also I might want to recommend Nagi no Oitoma & Mondai no Aru Restaurant...these 3 are my fav women theme drama..And Oguri Shun's Nobunaga Concerto is not bad...one of the few time travel jdrama. I cried a lot in the movie part hehhh ;)

Hahaha, don't worry, if it's by Akiko Nogi, the chances I've watched it are high 😂
I was actually recommended Nagi no Oitoma by a friend, so I think I should definitely try it, and looking up Mondai no Aru Restaurant it sounds pretty interesting! I'm pretty ignorant about Japanese history, so I was hesistant to pick up something like Nobunaga Concerto, but damn, the cast is fantastic. It would definitely be worth a try at least.

popping up here for the mention of Watashitachi, I watched it early last year and got addictive to it!! everything I love was there: Kyoto, Japanese's sweets, a high stake relationship involving both leads' family that being seen as 'evil' by each other, passionate love between 2 people that sometimes could not avoid to hurt each other, oohh the drama was the only show I put most of my attention at that time, so that I felt quite empty after finishing it, hahaa..anyway, for the (much) lighter alt of a drama with Kyoto and Japanese's sweets I would recommend Fukuyado Honpo (2016), it was my go-to drama everytime I need something light, fluffy, a bit of angst, but with a lot of pretttyyy Kyoto's scenery and sweets :))

I looked it up, and it looks really charming! I'll watch it, thank you!

Hi, I noticed you're a fan of Nogi Akiko. Have you seen Kotaki Kyodai? It's about two brothers being rental oyajis lol. it's a slice of life drama and with Nogi Akiko's writing, the dialogs are witty and awesome. definitely one of my favorite dramas by her!

Oof, sorry to say this, but so far Kotaki Kyodai is the only Akiko Nogi drama I didn't like! I would happily try it again some time, but at the moment the pacing and characters aren't right for me. I watched four or five episodes, I think?

Oof, it' okay :)
that drama does have a slow start but getting better and better each episode with things being unveiled. but it sure is not for everyone.

I bet you're right - Akiko Nogi is so good at case-of-the-week dramas that just get better and better. Okitegami Kyoko was like that. It wasn't particularly special at first, but I grew to love the characters and enjoy the mysteries more and more as the show went on. If I finish Kotaki Kyodai, I'll let you know!

Sunbae, Don’t Put on That Lipstick I read the synopsis of the webtoon before, so I wasn't surprise by the plot. I liked the fact we passed the cheating part and now there is the real story.

Awaken The plot of this drama was clearly not the best but the execution was really good and made me love this drama. It was very entertaining with the perfect amount of plot and action. I will miss NGM on my screen 😭 I want a second season with blue lollipops

True Beauty The plot is thin, so the story is pretty slow. I miss IJY's antics. But I was happy with the new friendship between our 2 male leads. HSJ is really a good friend, he's breaking my little heart.

The Uncanny Counter I don't think the change of writer was the best things for the viewers...

Mr. Queen I'm still waiting for the King to do something for the Queen because until now, she's the one who always helps him.

Oh I forgot Lovestruck in city I'm impressed the people who makes the documentary, I think I would have been way more vicious with Lee Eun Oh / Yoon Sun Ah :p

We will have to find a way to deal with our NGM withdrawal symptom.

I'm open to any proposal!

In Mr Queen, the King did save the Queen from drowning. Even though she/he didn't think that he/she wanted to be saved, it is likely that the Queen would have died if the King hadn't saved her/him. It didn't seem like there was going to be any miraculous body switch to put things back as they were. Well, probably even the chef might also have died. Though that would be something the writers would decide.

It was more because he felt very guilty than for love. The Queen knew about his tentative of killing her and made her very clear what she thought about him. The Queen saved him and his concubine and that made her situation more complicated.

Covid has affected the way I watch dramas in 2021:

SECRET ROYAL INSPECTOR (Ep. 10): They do social distancing well. Most scenes are set outdoors and our characters are mostly walking through the countryside. I approve.

TRUE BEAUTY (Ep. 11): Is trying its darnest to ignore Covid, cramming students into small classrooms and making couples do unhygienic things for "romance" (like wiping your boyfriend's mouth and licking your fingers ewwww). I wouldn't be as paranoid if I didn't know one of the supporting cast tested positive a few weeks back and had to drop out (it was one of the teachers).

In other news, I started DAE JO YOUNG (Ep. 15). If anyone knows where I can watch this with good subs please tell me! I understand more Korean than what the subs give me, and it's killing me because the drama itself is epic.

😂😂😂

How is Secret Royal Inspector, Toki? I've been interested in it, but I'm busy enough with one sageuk at the moment.

The first few episodes were a bit bumpy, but it settled into a nice routine where the trio of characters bumble their way into a crime scene and then work to find the culprits. I enjoy the comeuppance of the criminals every few episodes. It's a comedy-mystery drama in sageuk clothing, and so far has been light and fun with a few serious moments. I expect a bit of angst in the last few episodes but the overall tone of the drama doesn't suggest that it will get very heavy.

See, that's what I was hoping for! Knew I could count on you!

Maybe wait until next week just in case... I will keep you posted!

That sounds fun! I'll check it out, been looking for lighter watches

I was going to add, the acting in RSI is ok but not on par with the likes of Shin Hye-sun. Still, if you don't mind that it's an entertaining watch.

SHS is my current girlcrush and just awesome, but I'm totally in for lesser acting if the drama is fun

Not everyone can be Shin Hye-sun, unfortunately. It's the only absolute truth, and we must accept it 😔

Thank you for your opinion.😉 I have Secret Royal Inspector on hold, I think I will watch it when it finishes airing.

Perhaps, the change into a nicer routine is the reason why it led to an increase in ratings?

I get you so much.
When I was watching Lovestruck in the city and EunOh getting so close to the civil servant in the town hall, I was yelling: too close, too close, get the damn security distance now!
I feel you.

DAE JO YOUNG is fully subbed (134 eps total) at that one wedsite that shall not be named :). Just turn on your Adblock and you'll be fine.

I only found it on that website that shall not be named! Does it start with d and end with cool? 😂 Subtitles start to go missing around episode 12, phrases here and there which I usually understand, except for some critical bits like: "My battle plan is (...) understood?" 😫 I'll see how far I can go.

Lol yes.
Sorry that some eps are missing :(.
I think I watched it on either Mysoju or DramaCrazy but they are long gone.

I'm surprised that 200 episodes of "Emperor Wang Gun" is still intact.
Mrs Korea did a credible translation of the establishment of Goryeo. I learned a lot from that series. It took 2 years so that's a lot of history.

@marcusnyc20 Thanks for sharing this... I'm not gonna lie... A fantasy drama with the title "Reincarnation" already makes me want to head for the hills screaming. 😂 The Hong sisters have used folktales in their dramas, successfully recreating them in modern settings. So, if they decide to tell us the folktales in their actual Goguryeo setting it might be interesting, but I'm skeptical. Anyway, we'll see what happens!

I maybe one of the few who has not seen a Hong sisters drama (yet).

I've only watched two: YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL (no folklore element at all), and MY GIRLFRIEND IS A GUMIHO (Shin Min-ah and Lee Seung-gi). The latter is a decent watch if you are ever in the mood for a fantasy rom-com.

I'm just going to wait for your guys review on those up-coming sageuks :).

So what are the chances that the leads are reincarnated and met in their childhood in either or both of their lives? 😂🤣

Run On: The drama I am currently enjoying the most. I like the conversions and characters.
I even like supporting characters as well (except two dads). It is the first time I enjoy any possible combination of four main characters.
True Beauty: I am watching it just for Han Seo-Jun. The sudden decent of Soo-jin into villainous category has left bad taste.
The Uncanny Counter: I am disappointed in latest episodes. It is disjointed and full of plot holes.
Cheat on Me if you can: I think show would have been better if we only had antisocial, brilliant writer and her reluctant admirer/baby sitter NIS agent.
Lovestruck in City : I am bit behind. I am now finding sympathy for Jae-won and It would be better if the leads do not get back together. I was so happy when he threw out the ring and got disappointed when he went to look for it. I just think they would not work in long term.
She would never know : The show is pretty but it is filled with miserable and sad characters.
I am not sure if I would follow it till end.

Besides Run On, my only live watch, I caught up with a travel show, which I haven't done in ages.

I watched two episodes of the excellent Chinese celebrity/travel show Marvelous City, available with (surprisingly) top quality subs on YT in my parts. This was a very refreshing take on the travel genre - seeing it through the eyes of three different kinds of people - one a national celebrity; one a local celebrity; and one who seems a non-celebrity - who are each showing off their 'home town' or 'adopted town'. The narration is excellent, the destinations are offbeat, and there's some nice storytelling too. It's a very well thought out show, and I'd recommend to those interested. Two eps are up so far.

The other thing I did this past fortnight was speed watch My Father is Strange, after recommendations by beanies some WWWs ago. I liked it overall, the slowburn OTP was great, but I was invested only in the sisters and not the brother's or uncle's story, or the eldest sister's in-laws', so I ff-ed through a lot.

Emboldened by my first weekender, I tried first eps of a couple of others, and was surprised: Do all weekenders have the same set up? Because whatever I watched had the same arrangement of the-father-who's-a-cook-and-runs-a-restaurant with 3 or 4 kids who are all paired up and of course we get the HEA eventually. 😂 I'm not sure I want to watch the same plot all over again so soon.

For KBS weekenders at least, yes, they all have the same set up 😂

A few multi-generational families that are all interlinked somehow, a few romances with one super popular couple, a little makjang spice thrown in there like fauxcest or birth secrets etc etc

Doesn't mean you can't find special gems! Five Kids is the least makjangy of the weekenders I've seen, and it's absolutely lovely, and Wolgyesu Tailor Shop was a MESS but stole my heart anyway with its fantastic cast.

Ah I'm going with the ones that are accessible legally for now. Neither Five Kids nor Wolgyesu Tailor Shop are, in my parts, afaik :/

but hey, haha funny to know about the KBS weekenders. Do the other public service broadcasters have their own USPs when it comes to plots

Is the KBS World Youtube not a thing were you are? KBS used to upload their weekenders in full there, that's how I watched both of these shows.

Hahahaha, I'm not totally sure - all I know is that every MBC weekender I tried was a makjang explosio! I normally stick with KBS ones because from experience I tend to get stuff that's cute and heartwarming, rather than melodramatic and crazy. I heard a lot of people liked Never Twice, though? Oh, and I heard Goodbye to Goodbye is good!

*where

I'm just made of typos today 😂

oh I didn't check YT - silly me. Now I see them. I will check out both! Thank you for the recs! I have seen lots of clips of Never Twice here on DB, which I gather was mainly for the baby 😂 I think I will skip that but check out the rest!

Ah, you've finished MY FATHER IS STRANGE as well! Like you, I was most interested in the sisters' storylines and their relationships with each other (but Hye Yeong especially). I thought Yoo Joo's arc was well done after her initial one-dimensional-ness, and the miscarriage sensitively handled, which gave the brother a little more room for development as well. The OTP was lovely (and the angst justified), but after they got together, it felt a bit flat to me. There was so much room for both of them to grow within their relationship, but I guess we were out of time. The uncle's story was underwhelming, for sure.

After losing 52 hours of my heart and life to this show in short order, I've been hesitant to jump into another weekender, so it's good to learn that I may want to stagger the KBS ones! :oP

@oldawyer shared a list of recommended weekenders in response to my post last week, so here's a link to it (I hope this works): https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/01/team-dramabeans-what-were-watching-243/#comment-3772241 ONCE AGAIN is available on Netflix where I am, and I've heard some good things about WHAT HAPPENS TO MY FAMILY (which Netflix is recommending to me).

Hey thank you for the link to Oldlawyer's recs!! These are all good, and will get tucked into my list.

I tried the first eps of ONCE AGAIN and WHTMF - these are the two shows I mentioned in my OP where I felt the set up was identical to the set up in MFIS :P

Oh and I didn't spend 52 hours at all - the ff button was my friend. I sped watched through a lot of the stuff, incl uncle's story. I found the Yoo Joo connection far too contrived from the start, but I'm glad to see it was handled well. The OTP was really lovely indeed! I wish they had spent more time. But the slow burn build up was worth it, even if the resolution was hurried.

The only weekender I finished was OJAGKYO BROTHERS. Joo Won and UEE. :)

Oh wait, I also finished HOUSE OF BLUEBIRD, which is on YouTube but I can't quite recommend unless you love noble idiots. Chae Soo Bin and Lee Sang Yeob were cute but the drama did them dirty.

I dropped FATHER IS STRANGE more than halfway through. I must be the only beanie who doesn't love it. I liked Judo, the actor, and his turtle, but that's it. I hated the parents for all their lies. I don't usually fast-forward because I'm afraid I'll miss something... so yeah, I guess weekenders are not my thing.

Ooh CSB being done dirty is definitely a No. I can't picture her not in an HEA. Uee I associate with that depressing MARRIAGE CONTRACT, but I've heard of OJAGKYO Bros. before, so I might check it out!

I'm about a third into House of Bluebird - I loved it so much at the beginning, I thought Lee Joon-hyuk's character was so refreshing and lovable, but I've had it on-hold for a while now.

Happy Saturday Beanies! My week in kdramas -

Mr. Queen - Did not see that ending coming AT ALL. So I guess good job show? Also how good was KJH in that scene.

Awaken - Ep.15 was quite good but that ridiculous standoff in Ep. 16 while they hack the lab ruined it and then they actually did the "oh he's not really dead but we won't show you his face coz this is a mystery" trope that I think I've seen in every kdrama thriller ever 🙄

Secret Royal Agent - This week's criminals were exactly as gross and rape-y as I expected but I'm still watching...

Sunbae... - My first reaction was a big fat nope over CSH's supremely inappropriate behaviour. But I think I'll give it another week. Not a fan of melos so I'll see how it goes.

Cheat on Me...- I still don't understand the point of Mirae as a character no matter how tragic a backstory she's given. Or the two cops who seem to be dumber than posts. I still think KYJ should run away with Soo-ho. They had more chemistry in that shelf scene than anything we've seen from the actual couple so far. But I don't think that's the finale I'll get 😞

True Beauty - Can we get bromancy Hwang In Yeop in everything?

Run On - Mandatory kdrama break-up over something that could have been just talked through. Anyway Dan-ah 😍

A Love So Beautiful - This week's episodes were pretty cute.

Lovestruck in the City - We finally had the big reveal and I can't believe LEO lied AGAIN. We also got the backstory on her tragic past that is meant to redeem her as a character but I'm not there yet. Past trauma cannot be an excuse to hurt others. At least I'm beginning to like Jae-won now. Sort of.

Delayed Justice - Last 2 episodes felt like filler. Ready for finale this weekend.

Uncanny Counter - Will binge watch the back half now that the finale is here!

Also watching a full assortment of C-dramas now despite promises to restrain myself. Sigh. Liking My Little Happiness. Giving a chance to A Girl Like Me, Always have always will, and the 2021 version of Unrequited Love.

Wow, you're watching EVERYTHING!

Yes lol. My city is still in lockdown with stay at home orders so I'm making full use of that! I really should go out sometime I guess 😌

Heeeey, I'm in lockdown too! *high five*

I've been marathoning a lot of shows for that reason, but your list is still very impressive!

i actually agree with you about Run On. because i understand all characters (yes Danah too) until now but i don't understand why Mijoo must end the relationship. i really cant relate to her, its come out as she venting everything to Seonkyeom instead of communicating about how to overcome this.

I think it has a lot to do with her background; she does not take the privilege of having a family lightly, nor, because of her history of being alone and independent, can she just shrug off being stalked, photographed, judged by strangers. She would not want to be a wedge between SY and his family, but at the same time she can't just roll over and take what his father is doing to her. This has really put her in an untenable situation, because these are not issues that SY can solve for her, either (even if she was OK with that).

i know she is hurting, but i dont think she didn't saw it coming? taking a break or want to be alone for a while is okay but breaking up? after all those things they get through together.

Even if she loves Seongyum that doesn't mean she has to put up with his dad's nonsense. Why should she endure humiliation and stalking from him for the sake of love? Like she said she values herself even if others don't. Plus unlike Seongyum she is in a vulnerable position, his dad could make things difficult for her.

Hands down most succinct ep 12 elements recap. Thank you, I laughed out loud!

Completed Into The Ring - cute, loved it!

Completing Light in Your Eyes - in awe of all the performances; crying; swooning over how beautiful Nam Joo Hyuk Looks.

Also watching True Beauty - I didn't think I would but I love the show. I love Seo Jun ❤️ I don't have SLS and I don't wish the main lead would choose him. I just want more of him, that's all. Enjoying the show.

Shoutout for Go Sera! 💚

Mr. Queen: 8.5 Paintball archery 😠☹🤔 Even with a padded tip an arrow from a normal-power bow could cause serious injury.

Don't Put on That Lipstick / She Will Never Know: 2.7 Do you all know my formula by now?

Cheat on Me If You Can: 8.5 If Jae-ha turns out to be Mi-rae's husband, how convenient that the one person she has a real connection with is the one she probably needs the most -- a divorce lawyer.

Run On: 7.0 Yawn. Wake me up when Dan-A is being Dan-A.

Awaken: 7.5 for the series, 6.5 for the ending.

Uncanny Counter: 7.5

Fly Dragon / Delayed Justice: 6.5 The trick snooping data from high-end copiers & printers is real. Researchers (and probably also bad guys) have found lots of sensitive stuff by buying used machines and reading the hard drives. It's ironic that in kdramaland they never deliberately back up the things they should, but unintentionally back up things they shouldn't.

See reply for Fly Dragon rant and general kdramaland commentary.

Everything good that most writers can conceive of and which is permitted by the laws of kdramaland has been done so many times that writers have gotten desperate in their efforts to stand out from the same-old crowd. I've tried to pin down some of their desperate measures> approaches:

1: Actual (*gasp*) quality. Good luck with that -- it requires a good script and talented actors & directors. Sadly, the talent pool is not deep enough and they usually fall short even if they try.

2: Really good-looking cast. Perhaps with short skirts and male shower scenes. Face it, S. Korea's obsession with beauty does have an up-side for drama viewers. And good looking cast seem easier to find than major talent.

3: Doubling down -- admit their desperation and do even more of what everyone else does. ToDs lurking around every corner. More kisses and noble idiocy in the rom-coms. More obnoxious jerks in office dramas and more bullies in schools. More action in action shows. More twists in every show. #vagabond

4: Creativity -- think of something that nobody else has tried. Do something different in kind, not just degree. Most of my favorite recent shows have managed this. Think My Fellow Citizens, Mystic Pop-up Bar and maybe Zombie Detective. Stove League deserves a special mention -- a kdrama without much romance and a sports show without a big championship game!!!? Sometimes the results are mixed but still interesting, like Alhambra & W. Sometimes they fail spectacularly *cough*Arthdal*cough*. Sadly, writers who can think of things that nobody else can think of are - by definition - scarce, and inspiration may not strike the same writer twice

5: Give up. "Run it up the flag pole and see if anyone salutes". For writers who have no delusions about their ability and don't even try to hit it out of the park, or for those who tried but realize that things are not coming together. Depend on PPL to bring in some $ even viewership is only so-so.

6: Persuade Netflix to fork over big bucks and count on their marketing to bring in viewers.

7: Throw money at really popular leads and count on them to bring in viewers.

So where does Fly Dragon fit in? A mixture of #3 & a failed attempt at #4. They doubled down on the corruption and abuse of power, double-doubled-down on the crying and the hardships of the oppressed, and tried to be original with all the distrust and arguments between the leads, plus their financial troubles. Show is more of a "fly" than a "dragon".

Then there is Mr Queen. Time travel, gender switches and palace politics have been done before, but it rises above the crowd with Shin Hye-sun's talent (#1) and a new improved kind of gender-swap (#4). Their presumed efforts at #2 & #7 were not failures.