Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

stroopwafel

Space Sweepers: I never miss a Kim Tae-ri project so I had to watch as soon as this was available on Netflix. The film was very ambitious, but very uneven. I had trouble staying interested in what was happening and didn’t manage to get invested in the characters. It felt like there was a lot of time spent setting up the very vast world within the movie and that the character building was just smushed in here and there as afterthoughts. I did like the ending, but Space Sweepers didn’t leave me wanting more. Maybe I’m just not a space person?

missvictrix

Currently weecapping: Mr. Queen, True Beauty, and Sunbae, Don’t Put on That Lipstick

Run On: I wasn’t ready to say goodbye to this drama yet, but if I have to say goodbye, this was the way I wanted to do it. There have been a lot of drama endings recently that just fell flat (or crashed and burned), but Run On did a really nice job of closing the story in a meaningful way. I liked the evenness of the tone we ended on, liked where the story took us, and really liked all the little easter eggs (like Young-il joining the agency, and Ms. Dong boxing with her daughter). But my favorite part, for sure, was the congregation of characters at the end in the movie theater. I have a soft spot for these sorts of endings — the ones that pull the characters (leading, secondary, tertiary) into a single moment — there’s something unifying and sweet about it. I will miss all of them, and their stumbling and pressing on, but I love the story that we’ve shared with them.

quirkycase

Mr. Queen: I loved watching Jang So-yong go head-to-head with their enemies and work with Cheoljong on his grand plan. I’m really not sure where we’re going in terms of whether Bong-hwan will stay as So-yong or return to his own body, but this latest doozy of a development makes things even more complicated. I’m curious to see how So-yong will deal with this life-changing event and how it’ll impact everything.

Run On: I’m so glad I decided to pick this one up. I loved the focus on characters and relationships and how chill it all was. We weren’t overloaded with angst or drawn-out conflicts, and the core relationship between Mi-joo and Seon-gyum was refreshingly simple and natural. I was pleasantly surprised that Mi-joo’s orphan status didn’t merit a tragic backstory and focus on all her paaain. There were occasional mentions of her background, but that’s it – she wasn’t entirely defined by her childhood trauma or struggles. Another thing I appreciated was the varied friendships and the way they all supported each other, even if begrudgingly in the case of Mi-joo and Dan-ah. I hope this year will bring more introspective dramas like this one.

Tags: , ,

CRICKET -

England Vs. India - Root - boring interesting match. Tomorrow make and 4th day 1st session is make and break day.

Busy with work and watching so called news documentaries - more aptly video articles.

JAPAN -

MY daughter doesn't have a Boyfriend - 7 out of 10. I'm enjoy this shy gag tv drama.Otaku portrayal is now shown better.
Mother-Daughter pair still is pulling strong performance. Competitor is Mother-Childhood friend pair and very thin
Daughter-wantToBeAMangaka classmate. I can feel that Hamabe is feeling more relaxed and comfortable in this drama aka this drama is giving had very much needed mental rest. Okada Kenshi looks odd but better. Lots and lots of references make it like quiz. Enjoying it.

Kakenai - 7 out of 10 - I wrote few weeks ago how Ikuta Toma is very playing continuation of Mitsuru - If Talking Paid.
And this show has funny moments, especially those monologues. Watching 3rd episode right now.

Mokomi is a Little Weird - 6/10 For now its Motherr Vs. Daughter - that's what it should be.

Korea -

Shut Up - 7 out of 10. Yes after a while a korean drama is a getting 7 score from me and that too when its about to complete. Episode 14 scene was too oh oh oh and clearly a bait but even there writer did good and changed it to give something new which was proved i episode 15 1st 10 minutes. The writer certainly has chosen a different path from common, and it isn't a shinny and exciting path but more practical and even realistic. to a degree certainly. Yoo Na has done well this time around. Hwang Jung Min is leading the show.

PPL on - 3/10 - I'm happy to be right about this garbage once more. All the makeup washed away in ep 16. No matter how much nicely you wrap it - it still remains trash. It just satisfy wishful fantasies aka more or less nice mirage aka delusions. Nothing else. Its perfect to create an echo chamber and suits all needs but other than that it has nothing to give. Its like kids playing house with barbie dolls. shinny plastic faces can;t hide the wrinkles.

China -

Hello Debate Opponent Season 2 - Its on Viki. that's why no google translation this time. Theme is same but undermined this time - atleast that's what i saw in 1st 9 episodes. I have not good opinions on Chinese teens+youth dramas aka uni-coll life dramas but this one atleast tried to be have a theme and paid much attention on it but this time around, this season 2, actually is walking the same path as other dramas - trying to funny - fake, more romance - cringe, time waste on side-side characters. One thing common between both seasons is preaching the young audience through characters actions. Very much propaganda runs in this show. This you clearly see through the topics of debates and how those topics reel in characters actions through few events. Still, I'm enjoying this.
Well, Fans like to delude themselves and ignore the issues and that's what make fans the fake ones because if you care then you don't try to hide things, you speak truth for the betterment.

-completed-

BLACKPINK Livestream Concert - (watched:complete/ratings:8/10) Beautiful, fun, entertaining, engaging and emotive. This is what I feel after watching my first livestream concert. Blackpink never disappoints, I just wished it was longer…🙄

TRUE BEAUTY - (watched:complete/ratings:7/10) Despite having its flaws, it was a very enjoyable ride. True Beauty did justice to its title since it showed us many values throughout the journey (something that Gangnam Beauty struggled with). We could sympathize and learn with its characters and story, reminding us of the importance of our inner beauty, such as friendship, kindness, forgiveness, loyalty, courage, redemption, humbleness, passion, integrity and self-confidence. For me, that is a victory in itself, since many shows fail to convey a meaningful message to the viewers. I shall never forget this heartwarming show in kdramaland 🙌 (btw, Seo-jun, please marry me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😍💕)

-ongoing-

MR. QUEEN - (watched:ep16/ratings:9/10) Another amazing week! I absolutely LOVED the “rounds” between our Mr.Queen (aka Sobong) and the women of court (how beautiful and sexy she was in that attire?). I loved all the scenes with Sobong and the King, especially the “ramyun” (so funny!😂) and the lessons of future history (she actually mentioned Bhutan, a place where I would love to visit; I am also a follower of King Jigme Khesar and Queen Jetsun Pema). So many great scenes with the ministers, the broken sword, the harsh training regime, the World of the Married ahah 😂…OMG, that BIG REVEAL at the end!!!

LOVESTRUCK IN THE CITY - (watched:ep13/ratings:6/10) I gave it a third chance. It feels better now than it was at the beginning. However, I never thought that I could hate a female lead so much!!! 😠 Jae-won is a bit obsessive and foolish sometimes, yes, but he is not a bad guy. Also, how can she keep asking him why he kept looking for her? I mean, wasn’t she supposed to be the one to answer his questions? She was the one who lied, disappeared and stole his cameras. Now that she has met him (two/three times now), she could use this opportunity to explain everything and put an end to the misery of that poor guy. But no!!! She keeps dragging this stuff, looks like she is the only one suffering 😑 (as if she is the victim). Eun-oh, I’m looking at you and please hear this clearly, “Don't do unto others what you don't want done unto you”.

HIKARU NO GO Chinese - (watched:-/ratings:-) I didn’t watch any ep this week.

Have you seen “The Other Final” which is a documentary about a soccer championship held in Bhutan? It’s the most wonderful film and really lightens the heart 😁

Ohhh I haven't seen that yet. Thank you for recommending it! Also, I remember watching a documentary about Christian Louboutin and his journey to Bhutan. It was very interesting, the shoe culture in Bhutan. CL also met with Queen Jetsun Pema. How lovely!

Oh, interesting! I will look for that!

The concert was amazing!!!!!

The rebroadcasts have started!!!!!!

After CHEAT ON ME ended, I have not started a new drama.

I finished Season 3 of BUSTED which was good, but a cliffhanger when the show was not picked up for another season seemed odd.

I was cleaning my loft to find that I have an unopened box set of the anime series DEATH NOTE which could be my next binge watch.

MY son just finished watching DEATH NOTE. He says it is considered one of the great classic animes. From what I could see and hear of it it appears to borrow some of it storytelling devices from Dostoyevsky's CRIME AND PUNISHMENT as well as some classic Japanese folk elements.

I watched DEATH NOTE when it first came out. It was compelling story telling because the viewer was shown both sides planning their next moves like a chess match.

Death Note is great, it is also the rare anime that is a contained story. It is short, has a beginning, Middle, and end. Also thankfully no endless supply of filler episodes.

Run On (Series review) - Mood progression: B+ / A- / A- / A- / A- / B+ / B+ / B+
Giving the show a thumbs up is a piece of cake: I found it wonderful that the writer highlighted all 6 possible pairings of the leads and made each pair distinct which lent to some very interesting interactions. The difficulty comes in choosing whether to really applaud the show: it can’t be ignored that the two fathers + Dan Ah’s older brother were plot devices, especially when you consider their characterisation in comparison to the rest of the supporting cast. One thing for sure though is that despite the minor quibble I’m looking forward to this writer’s next piece. And more Kang Tae Oh!

Mr. Queen (Episode 15-16) - Mood: C
It was a pleasant surprise that Hwa Jin stopped herself from going further into the dark though it did feel like whiplash: it would’ve been better had we saw more of the Prince trying to convince her since she sure looked ready to go to hell. I don’t know where her arc’s going after this but I hope the Prince wouldn’t betray the King now? Another note: we didn’t find out how the kid’s poison got swapped out. This isn’t the first plot hole: Hwa Jin’s maid has been MIA for so long. I’ll say though that the comedy is great: Kim Jung Hyun’s facial expressions during the portrait-drawing are gold!

True Beauty (Series review) - Mood progression: B- / C- / D+ / D+ / D / D- / D / D
Does the fact that the original web toon has a lot of cliches excuse the fact that this show also has them? No! It should be obvious but somehow this writer didn’t get the memo. Adaptations are supposed to improve on the material and not be a roughly summarised copy-and-paste: for example, Soo Jin being a jealous piece of work in the original is not good at all narratively, so why bring that into the live-action? Overall, the show presented a superficial discussion of beauty, crushed beneath the teenage romance spotlight, the predictable family trauma as well as an unrealistic school setting.

L.U.C.A.: The Beginning (Episode 1-2) - Mood: D+
I don’t know what went through the minds of tvN’s executives: the channel had just finished airing Awaken last week in the exact same timeslot, so why would you air yet another sci-fi thriller that’s also about experiments that were done on kids? So far, I’m not impressed by the story or the characters: religious cult is a big yawn while the female lead is somehow human in nature yet superhuman when dealing with injuries (main lead armour!). Truck of Doom, childhood trauma, awkward CGI, gory injections, action sequences that look cool but have zero tension, damsel in distress: hmm.

Also watching:
Sunbae, Don’t Put on That Lipstick (Episode 5-6) - Mood: D, Please develop the male lead before the 2nd half begins.

I agree with you about L.U.C.A., at some point I thought I was watching Awaken but without NGM.

Science would feel ashamed being associated with that trash.
Better put it into fantasy category. Trailers as already given a stern warning and it came true in 1st week itself.
As for PPL - last episode undid all the makeup of writer.

Yes to more Kang Tae Oh!!

Outside of Mr. Queen, since I haven't seen it, I definitely agree with your ratings!

L.U.C.A.: I'm not sure I want to continue with that, but I'm tagging along with my friends who are watching it, so unless it gets more bleh, I'm in it for a while.

Sunbae, Don’t Put on That Lipstick: I hope this gets better. There haven't been any fun/good moments that I can recall so far.

Run On: I wish there were a few more episodes, but I'll take what I can get :) I'm glad I picked this up!

L.U.C.A: The beginning. I don’t know what to think about this, but for now I’ll keep watching.The bad guys are ridiculous caricatures: a delusional religious cult leader, a crazy scientific, a minion that wants revenge, ptfff. I was mad at every character wearing a mask covering their chins, it felt like an insult in these times. But I really liked things like cops paying for the subway, or the fact that every body have noticed the extraordinary things happening. I mean, it’s so common in fiction to use the trope of “let’s cover it up” but nobody ever explains how they covered it up, that it was refreshing to see more than one person say: I saw the guy falling from the rooftop and there was an explosion. Also fighting scenes in episode 2 were fantastic, specially the one on the elevator.

Run On. It’s over. Thank you, show. I will always treasure you in my heart. That epilogue was the best thing I’ve seen in ages. We got to see the “happy ending” of every side character. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Lovestruck in the city. At last! EunOh confessed her true feelings, and maybe saying aloud that she didn’t want her friends to find out sounded so ridiculous she yield. Even so, I’m not happy it was JaeWon the one to have to force the situation. But the whole scene was really well filmed and acted, from the hilarious phone call to the revelation of the rings. Well done, drama. This is one of those rare dramas in which the second part is better than the first one.Regarding the other couples, it’s even more evident that Kyeong Jun has a problem: he wants his girlfriend to be a different person. I could feel how uncomfortable Rin-I was with all his talking about getting a “normal” job. She’s said many times she’s happy with her life the way it is and he’s not listening. It doesn’t look good.

Prison Playbook.What an extraordinary drama. I loved every single moment of it, specially the fact that as I was invested with all the characters, there was always a moment when I was reminded they were criminals and they were in prison for a reason. Even so, I was happy for all those characters who embraced the second opportunity they were given (Jean Valjean, Minchul, Jailbird). As I was watching I was constantly reminded a motto by Concepción Arenal, a Spanish journalist, writer, feminist and a pioneer on social work, “Open schools and you’ll close jails”.

I’ve begun Secret Affair and yes, I have big issues with the age gap and even bigger with the teacher/student relation, but… Yoo Ah In. OMG! How can you not fall for him and forget everything you should not forget about? *fans self and takes a deep breath while trying not to falter*.

I’ve put Saimdang on hold. My sister has been insisting I watch this drama for ages, but the makjang may be too much for me. I’ll give it until episode 6 to see if it softens. I also continue my rewatch of When the weather is fine little by little because I enjoy...

Let's chat Twin, lol.
Lovestruck in the city: This drama was supposed to be 12 episodes😂😂😂. Yes, I totally agree with it being well acted. I need her to fully apologize though, he is owed that.

Prison Playbook: I am so glad you loved this drama, it is wonderful.

Secret Affair: The only thing that bothers me about the drama is the actual adultery, the husband is pretty useless. But this the drama that made me a Yoo Ah In fan when I watched it. He was simply SUBLIME in this. He was perfection as a teenager falling in love with his teacher. It is ironic because everything in the drama is problematic, but it is so beautifully done that I let it go. You need to watch Chicago typewriter next.

LOVESTRUCK IN THE CITY is half-length episodes. My hypothesis is that so much time was spent on the romantic beach scenes and flashbacks that the story just expanded. I loved that Eun-oh finally stopped running away and took action- but you are right about the need for an apology- plus our lovers need to commit to getting to know each other again.

I definitely wish we had spend much less time on that island, tbh.

Yoo Ahin is amazing 💚 He manages to BE a different person for every role

I know he is great, but he puts me awe in The Throne aka Sado. He just played Sado so well. The way he made it subtle different between the teenage sado, the sado as head of family, the sane sado, the insane sado. Just perfect

I've already watched Chicago Typewriter. It was the one who started everything!!! I only watched Six Flying Dragons because of him, I would have never begun a 50 episodes drama, a sageuk even more, if it were not for YAI!

I started Secret Affair a while ago, but couldn't make it beyond, I think, ep3. I should get back to it sometime

I'm on episode 9 now and I may use some FF because, tbh the only reason I'm watching is amazing YAI, as I find very problematic almost everything on it: from the clingy girlfriend who insists on marrying a guy who now ignores her, now likes her, to the abusive chaebols and all the shouting.

Run On - this was the true feel-good drama. I think I liked nearly any combination of the characters' interactions and especially the main quartet felt so natural. I also loved the little details like Younghwa aigooing via phone with his mom (and implying a happy family background), the wedding invitation from Youngil (and his 10 yr relationship) or that Secretary Jung had a cat 😊 We got one satisfying slap in the last week... and I loved the happy ending - the 4 drinking beer... and the glimpses into the lives of others. I will miss them. Maybe I should start a rewatch 😀

Sunbae - I can't believe That Jerk didn't even plan to tell Songah about the wedding and just wanted to live with her in Europe. Luckily we also have Hyunseung who I wouldn't mind to have as a colleague... and his Happy Dance made also me happy. 🙂

Cheorin - I still laugh a lot 🙂

Loosing interest in Rebel Princess (too little of the Hero) and My Little Happiness... maybe I'm a bit slumpy and grumpy. Watching instead a daily A good supper - there is a lot happening, but I'm mainly watching for the food, the family dinners... and the shots of the Korean nature 🙂

@dorotka—I'm about to start Ep. 20 of Rebel Princess. When did your interest start to drift? Zhou Yi Wei has become my main reason for watching. His Xiao Qi is one of the most alluring dramaland heroes I've ever clapped eyes on.

I think 14/15... I'm not in the mood for those fights, I guess. I looove the Hero (and how the actor portrays him) and he is the main reason for watching for me as well ❤💕

I'm on a Zhou Yi Wei historical marathon. Man, this actor is my new historical favorite. He is so good.
"Rebel Princess": 43/68
"The Longest Day in Chang'an ":25/48
"Tribes and Empires: Storm of Prophecy":5/75
"Shaolin Wendao ": 1/42

The story follows Princess Wang Xuan so naturally she gets more screen time but once our general appears I try not to blink incase I miss something. That commanding presence.
While Awu is no Minglan I still enjoy the show. I don't see any sageuks current or future that would fit my taste this year.

The story is nothing new with the royals and their power struggles but the actors who are mostly veterans are doing a fantastic job.

Yu He Wei is also an awesome actor. I loved him in "Three Kingdoms" and "The Advisors Alliance".

@kiara–May I nominate you as President of the Zhou Yi Wei Fan Club? I'm at about the same place for The Longest Day in Chang'an, which I paused in 2019. Will start again for sure! Also checking out New Face, a modern drama with only 25 episodes. It reminds me of the 1997 Face/Off and it isn't particularly compelling so far. I'll just watch a couple episodes out of respect and will probably drop. It's so exciting to discover or rediscover great talents!😜

I don't know @tsutsuloo. I'm not worthy.
*bows*

"The Longest Day in Chang'an" deserves my full attention so it's on hold until "The Rebel Princess" is over.

I'm praying for a historical drama pairing between Zhou and my girl Liu Tao (Nirvana on Fire).

I so agree with you about Zhou Yi Wei, every second he was on the screen my eyes were glued to him. Yes in Rebel Princess he is alluring. Thoughtful and understated acting, beautiful and expressive eyes, and such a screen presence. In the series, when he wrote a letter to his wife the princess, the whole letter was just her name written many times over. How romantic was that! I am now a big fan.

I had a feeling it was a love later when General Hu was teasing him and he cracked a smile.
Finding out that it was just her name over and over made me laugh. Xiao Qi original 🥰.
No quotes from romance poetry like the complicated scholars in the capital.

Happy Weekend beanies! Lots of dramas have ended in the last two weeks. Am waiting for reviews of LUCA to see if I want to start that.

Completed
True Beauty - Should have ended at Episode 14.

Run On - I didn't love this as much as other beanies did but Sooyoung was definitely a revelation. Have always liked her as one of the better idol-actors and she really brought her A game here.

Ongoing
Mr. Queen - I'm not sure how to feel about that episode ending bombshell. There are some interesting questions about bodily autonomy and choice to be thought about here.

Sunbae... - Assigning CHS to a different team improved my opinion of his character substantially. CEO-Older Sister budding romance is still the highlight though.

Secret Royal Inspector - The romance was cute I guess?

Lovestruck in the City - I have resigned myself to not liking any of the characters in this.

A Love So Beautiful - This is how you handle second leads (True Beauty should have taken notes)

C-dramas
My Little Happiness ended as cutely as it began.
Started Love Unexpected to fill the gap - it's like a mix of Secretary Kim, Strong Woman and the weird illnesses that c-dramas love.
Thinking of dropping the 2021 Unrequited Love. Never been a fan of Hu Yitian and the 2019 adaptation was miles better I feel.
Still liking A Girl Like Me and Always Have, Always Will.

Weekend Plan - Mr. Queen!

Run On: Beautiful ending to a drama that has set a high bar with it’s refreshing take on love, relationships, friendships and careers. I love that it ended in a movie theater with the cast all there. I hope we can get more dramas that have two separate romances with kind, hardworking characters who fall in love without forgetting about their careers and friendships Every time I finish a really good drama or book, I feel down, afraid I’ll never find one as good again. I need a Ki Seon-gyeom to give me a hug (and vacuum my house).

L.U.C.A.: The Beginning: The first two episodes were basically one long chase scene with a bunch of fight scenes thrown in. Lee Da-hee’s character was hit by a truck, almost hit by a truck, almost had a car fall on her and then was almost hit by a train. This is really not my kind of drama, yet I didn’t hate it? I’ll keep watching, but I do hope there is more to it then fight scenes, and I hope the female lead stops running off on her own. She has potential. I do like Kim Rae-won in this, and I even kind of like the perm.

Mr Queen: Last week’s episodes were a little draggy but So-bong's revenge was fun and now a pregnancy. That should be interesting.

Lovestruck in the City: The PPL thing was funny.

Love (Ft. Marriage &Divorce): I’ll probably drop this when/if my drama slate fills back up. The characters are not that interesting or sympathetic except maybe the 50’s wife. Right now I’m mainly curious about the trio of probable mistresses.

Space Sweepers: It was okay but could have been about 30 minutes shorter. I thought the characters and world had potential but needed a bit more character and world building.

I agree with you about LUCA. I don't dislike it and I was amazed at the amount of times LDH's character insisted on putting herself on danger. I hope it's not a thing in the drama she being hit by a truck.

Run On has definitely set the tone for kdramas for me. It's only February and I still believe it will remain one of my favourite kdrama of 2021. Having two couples is SO much better than being stuck in a useless love triangle and the fan wars that follow them. Hope more kdramas follows this template and just get rid of these love triangles.

Love ft marriage and divorce (3-4) : What a crazy drama !!!! Everybody is cheating and everybody is shameless. Sa hyun esp. I mean if he was not in love with his wife he could have divorced her and bring someone else. I even doubt if what he says is all a lie so that he can get rid of her. And the way he kept on answering "it doesn't matter" to all questions, I had a very good temptation to smack him on head just like Hye-ryoung. Si eun is so far my least fav in the drama. I dont know the character is dull and I didnt like the way she handled the whole divorce situation. And the ending of ep 4...oh my goodness...I thought only the kids are crazy.. but the parents belong to another level of craziness too. I am in for all of it though 😅

True Beauty (15-16): As expected everything was wrapped up properly. All characters were given their endings. My fav scenes where the Sister's marriage. That was hilarious. How badass a bride she is to walk the aisle with a window frame😂.
I am gonna miss this show. It has been my source of unwinding after a long day at work. I guess I should look for some old fluffy drama to relive the stress.

Secret royal agent (13): Finally the kiss !!!! ❤❤ Now that the main mission of our leads are completed I wonder what will be the plot of next three episodes. Yes the reality around the brother, ex lover and the new governor is left still but will that be big enough to show in 3 episodes. Will have to wait and see.

Mr. Queen: An interesting ending. Although I have no idea where the show is going I am just enjoying everything.

A love so beautiful (16-18): Finally Heon took a step forward in relationship. I was wondering when he is gonna step up and reveal his feelings and happy that it happened this week. Loving it.

Lovestruck in the city (13): I quit . My patience has drained out. Can't take more of this.

OLDER

Stove league : Finally finished this. It took me more time than I thought. It was simply brilliant. NGM was brilliant as ever and PEB was like the firework that colors the script and its characters. I should say I was a bit disappointed by the ending. Like when it ended I was like " Thats it ??? Was that the end?.."I mean I was expecting them to show us the final games of Dreams that led to their win. Even though it's a sports drama there were some scenes that moved me. Like how the team as a whole cheered for the player to get over his yips and how the team welcomed back their star home runner. It shows the depth of the script. How each character and player is important. By the end I also warmed up to OJS's character. I loved how the show depicted his vulnerabilities . The interactions between the Beak seung soo and Kwon kyeong min too were one of the highlights. There was also a dialogue were I cracked up hard " Will you get rashes on your body when you go home if you are at a loss of words for atleast once" (translation by viki)." 😅

Now that I need another NGM drama, I am...

...confused over Good manager and Awaken.

I was planning to give LUCA a try. But no time. I guess I will read few opinions from beanies here and decide.

Good Manager! He's wacky in all the right ways in Good Manager plus you get Junho.

Good Manager. It's a funny drama, you'll love it and as Mugy said, it also has Junho.
I've also watched Awaken, and it's ok, I had fun and enjoyed the ride but don't expect a good drama, although you can expect a very brilliant NGM.

In Awaken, NGM was so swoony and manly! In Good Manager, he was more goofy.

Thankyou for the suggestions @ndlessjoie, @eazal and @kurama. I am gonna start Good manager and may be give Awaken a try once I finish it.

I'm joining the recommenders for Good Manager! That was a good show overall.

Enjoying the craziness of Love ft. Marriage & Divorce...no idea what direction things will go. Certainly not a lot of faithful spouses...
Love the fusion sageuks...Mr. Queen is delightfully funny. Also watching Royal Secret Agent. Good entertainment.

On love ft marriage... exactly..5 episodes into the drama and I am as clueless as I was in the beginning. The kids, the parents everybody is cheating but I am strangely enjoying the craziness of the show.

Ah, another reminder that I should shift Stove League out of my Plan to Watch list to Watch now! queue.

Yes..please do watch it.... I am sure you wont regret it. It's such a tight scripted wonderful drama.

watch My Beautiful Gong Shim, Doctor Prisoner, Good Manager Chief Kim, Falsify, and watch him in his villain role in Remember and The Girl who sees scents he was amazing you'll get mad at him hahaha (Those two dramas as a villain really made him very famous after that he only accepts lead roles.)

Thanks for the suggestions.
I have already watched Remember. It was my first NGM drama and what made me look for his other works. I will give everything else a try except for The girl who sees scents. I am not a fan of Shin se Kyung's acting and mostly avoid watching her dramas.

Hi Beanies, happy weekend!

I think I'm in a drama slump because I basically dropped Run On, Mr. Queen, and Sunbae a while ago.

I really enjoy watching Lovestruck though because my stressed brain just wants something quick (I watch it at 1.5x on Netflix), with characters that I have no particular attachment to (Geon is cute especially with glasses, though), or plot/character development to expect. Anything can go and I'd be okay with it, I really just need a quick break to look forward to each week.

My dad, on the other hand, picked up Prison Playbook again. He wasn't too keen when they watched it weeks ago, but it seems that, like me, he got charmed the second time around.

My brother also marathoned Fight My Way in a single day at normal speed and without skipping (even replaying some scenes) and I am impressed. He was asking for recommendations of light and fun dramas without too much suspense so he can watch it at night and I suggested Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo, Strong Woman Do Bong-soon, School 2017, and Mystic Pop Up Bar. Let me know if you have more suggestions!

Your dad likes PB and your brother FMW, they're so cool! I'm so jealous! Been trying to get FlyGuy interested in kdramas, but aside from some movies, I've had no luck 😓
Recs for your cool family: Hyena and Hot Stove League. Both are fun, well written and romance-light (no romance at all in HSL)

Thanks! Added those to my recommendation list. It definitely took a while to get to this point and the fact that we subscribed to Netflix was a big factor because it made kdramas so easily accessible!

I would suggest Heard It Through the Grapevine

Thank you! I'll look this one up because I'm not familiar with it and add it to my list.

It has a wonderful cast, Go Ah-sung & Lee Joon as the young couple, Yoo Ho-Jeong & Yu Jung-Sang as Lee Joon’s wealthy parents. Many others but those four in particular do a great job.

Great drama.

I gotta giggle seeing you watch Lovestruck with its already super short episodes at 1.5x speed 😄

Some extra suggestion for your brother: Age of Youth 1&2, Hello Waikiki

My only lament is that 2x isn't available on Netflix 😂

Thanks, I've read good things about AOY, and my other brother enjoyed Waikiki so I may have to check those out too.

L.U.C.A: This drama spent the first 2 episodes literally beating up Lee Da Hae, I don't think I have ever seen a character get beat up so often and consistently. It also wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I actually liked it. It has the usual tropes and childhood connections with a little Christian cult action. It is only 12 episodes, so I'll stick to it.

Lovestruck in the City: Well that was expected. I need Jae Won to grow some spine and make her apologize.They do have great chemistry, but that relationship needs therapy since they insist on putting them together. My favorite cute couple, Oh noooooo, they are in two different places in their relationship. Ri-ni is content to be a bit of a vagabond, just scrapping by and living life. Poor Kyeong Gu wants to wife her up and have her be stable so she isn't scrapping by. You can tell he earnestly wants her to be stable and not have to worry that much about finances. However, I don't think he realizes how committed she is to her life. I don't think she realizes how much it worries him that she only works part time. They need to really have a conversation, which they don't seem to have.

Space Sweepers: This was not the lighthearted space drama I thought it would be. It was fairly dark and oddly bloodless, it was weird. It was corporate corruption in space. It was fine. It had a great deal of exposition and a lot of geniuses.

Mr. Queen: My true joy of the week, can't wait. The fact that she is pregnant is so funny, especially considering how excited she was about that peach blossom wine. lol.

Run-On: Finally finishing the back half with my friend today, we are excited.

I laughed when I read "consistently" on your description on LDH's being bitten in L.U.C.A. because it's so accurate!! Oh, as always we think the same about the drama, it's not as bad as we thought it would be, isn't it?

No, it isn't. At least there is that.

Annyeong beanies. Here’s what I watched this week:

Run On This drama inspired me to run instead of my usual walk around the park (in the interest of honest disclosure, when I said run, I meant jog, and by that, probly walking slightly faster than my usual speed 🤪) I don’t love the drama as much as most beanies but I liked it enough. Somehow I was more invested in the 2nd couple than the main. And I do love the ending montage, what a perfect way to end a drama 👏🏻👏🏻

Mr Queen My heart and soul (100% mine btw) belong to Mr Queen. This drama is my happy pill every weekend. This drama may not be perfect but if I couldn’t wait for the subs and watched it raw despite understanding maybe 30% of what they were saying, then it a 10 in my book. I think 90% of it is due to Shin Hye-Sun and Queen Jang So Yong 💕💕 She is AMAZEBALL!

RUN ON actually had two main couples- it was a quartet from the beginning. And part of the beauty lay in the friendships between the male leads and the female leads- because there were no rivalries or competition elements.

Run On: Quite a bit I liked but it was on the uneven side for me. I think I like slice-of-life shows to be around 12 episodes. However, kuddos to the production for closing up all the stories of all the side characters instead of just forgetting all about them.

LUCA: I've watched the first two episodes and I'll give it a go. It is fast paced and already slated for just 12 episodes. (I didn't watch Awaken and by the Viki comments there were similarities for those that have had their fill of the genre.)

The Rebel Princess: I am at episode 30 in a 68 episode run and it is zipping right along. Finally a c-drama that gets pacing right, at least so far. But this show only works because I care about all the various stories not just the leads.

Glad to hear you're still engaged in The Rebel Princess. I'm at Ep. 20 and plan on watching the next 10 episodes over my 3-day weekend. While the ML has my heart pounding, the whole show (and all it's complicated characters) is a tasty meal.

its! darn apostrophe.😉

I am at 31 so almost the halfway point. The drama has done a good job of making fully fleshed out characters so even if I don't like them, I understand why they are doing what they are doing. Have fun with your binge!

I'm glad there is more of us watching this show.

A good cast will do justice to their characters. I'm enjoying the chess game in this show. It's not just between two people. There is always a 3rd or 4th parties in the background.

This week, I watched 3 drama finales, something I haven't done before.

True Beauty - final episodes, completed
I enjoyed this drama including the final episodes. I have to credit the directing for turning a very weak plot into a fun drama. Coming from the same team that made Extraordinary You, I feel that it has taken all the best points from EY and put them into TB. I moved further comments to TB thread.

DDSSLLS - 2nd half, completed
I enjoyed this drama, right up to the final episode. I only have issue with the last 10 min, with the back-from-the-dead after 5 years ending, which is ludicrous even by K-drama standards. I'm usually quite critical on music-making drama ( eg. in DYLB) but I'm surprised the use of music meshes well in this drama. (at least I haven't had a single thought that the piano playing looks fake). FL and her students are not concert pianists and the pieces were romantic and well chosen to reflect the joy of music.

I see a lot of similarities with DDSSLLS and TB, which is why I enjoyed both. Both dramas have upbeat, winsome FL, surrounded by a strong supporting cast. The plot is nothing new, but pokes fun at the numerous K-drama tropes, somewhat similar to Extraordinary You.

My Unfamiliar Family - second half, completed
I enjoyed parts of this, especially Eun Joo's story arc and the siblings different dynamics. But the parents story arc takes up too much time, and I don't understand why the Mom had to run away, and it doesn't help that she has this painful, suffering face on most of the time. From the way I see it, it is the parents communication issues that caused the siblings to close up and drift away from the family , but I guess after Mom has her runaway time, the root cause of the family crisis is solved.

About Unfamiliar Family: I guess people connect to different dramas according to their own experiences. For me UF was super engaging because I totally got their family dynamics. So, my take on their problems was that m/Mom needed to go away because she spend 30 years living for her kids and just needed some time out. I liked it that she found the time to read and do courses and volunteer - she kept pursuing her interests beyong all the limitations and how unhappy she felt in her marriage, but it was clear that she was just bidding time until she felt like she could be free. I found her a pretty cool ahjumma. And, yes, the parents' lack of communication and assuming the worst about each other contaminated the whole family and made kids defensive and eager to get away from the crappy home atmosphere. But I don't think that Mom getting away was what solved the problems. What helped was Dad and Mom opening up and understanding each other a bit better, and the sisters getting closer through the entire the story arc. I liked it that in the end, everybody kept on hiding some things from each other - because those habits are just too hard to break completely 😂 -, but at least the whole family was in a better place. And seeing them just hanging out in those Hawaiian shirts made my heart grow a little 💚

I beg to differ. It is the Mom perpetual dissatisfaction with life that is toxic to the whole family. Remember it is the way she runaway as a young Mom that made the husband start to distance himself and the young children were highly affected by this experience too. I was able to accept this as she could be young and didn't know how to handle her frustrations. But in the end, I feel that she didn't learn from all these experiences when she choose to run away again.

You probably remember the drama better than me, I watched it months ago - but I'd swear that Mom ran away after Dad accidentally killed the other kid's father and started looking after him secretly, which made Mom think that he was cheating on her... Not saying that running away was a better option than talking things over, but it makes the character a lot more sympathetic than believing that she ran away just because she felt frustrated.
Anyway, things resonate differently with people, there's no point in trying to convince each other - you have one way of understanding this fictional character, and I have another, let's just agree to disagree 😉

Yeah, probably I would have felt different if I had live watched it and participated in discussions. Anyway appreciate your insights.

Well, Run On is over, so now I'm a bit at a loss as to what takes its place in my heart. I'm happy to say, however, that I'm definitely intrigued by a few dramas premiering in this month. I generally like Shin Se-kyung and was happy to see her do so well in this role, following her strong performance in Rookie. I didn't know much about Sooyoung and was curious, so...

I tuned into Tell Me What You Saw and gave it a few episodes. It's note bad per se, it's just not really captivating. Not sure I'll pick it up again, but maybe if I need something on in the background while I putter.

I started watching the Taiwanese film Little Big Women, and have really enjoyed it thus far. But I was so tired after work that I wasn't giving it the attention it deserved, so I'll finish it later this weekend. Thus far, it's been strong storytelling and lovely to watch.

Finally, 'tis the time of year for the stillness of the mountainside village, so I have been again slowly sinking into a re-watch of Weather.

WEATHER is worth are-watch.

TMWYS has some interesting twists and was entertaining, although to me it should have been 12 episodes and not 16. I confess I mainly FF the last four episodes, but that was my first Sooyoung drama and I loved her on it.
And about Weather... what can I say? I'm rewatching and being a mess every episode: I laugh, I cry, I giggle. I am so happy watching!

You and I are definitely of one mind and heart when it comes to Weather! Rewatching is such a treat - I'm still seeing new things to enjoy, plus it's just so soothing! Happy watching to you, too.

I'll stick with TMWYS in this case. If nothing else I'm impressed by how different Soo-young (the character) is from Dan-ah. Those are some solid acting chops, even if the story is a bit stretched, as you say.

TMWYS was pretty good. I stuck with it--because I love Jang Hyuk.
Weather is an almost perfect drama in my book. The music, scenery, acting, plot, characterization. Seo Kang Joon was mesmerizing.

Agree, Weather is solidly in my top 5. The entire production - setting, OST, characterization, etc. was so different, unique and beautiful. I almost didn't recognize Park Min-young. So enjoyable.

I've got Little Big Women on my watchlist! Look forward to your final report!

I'll be sure to report back! So far, it's been great.

@pickleddragon - reporting back, it's wonderful. Do watch it! I am generally not a crier, but I was unexpectedly moved to tears. It was beautiful.

ooh I will!!! Thank you!!

I finally finished The Uncanny Counter this week. It was a pretty good show overall, but I can't understand how there's going to be a season two when pretty much everything was wrapped up well. I also finished Run On - there was plenty to love about it, but I don't think I'll be lingering on it. My thoughts on the show are a tangle I'd love to unravel some day.

Aside from those, I'm still marathoning Japanese dramas!

MIU 404: If I'd watched this two months ago, it would have had ALL MY BEANS. I can't believe how few people have seen this, when it's easily the best show of 2020! To summarise the show, it's about Ayano Go and Hoshino Gen as an unlikely detective duo in a cat-and-mouse-chase with MASAKI SUDA. You did not read that wrong, Masaki Suda is the villain! I had no clue going in that he would be in it, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that I think the surprise made me more happy than I've been in months. I expected no less than excellence from Akiko Nogi, but this takes the cake. It even excelled Unnatural in a few ways. Please can everyone watch it, thank you!

#RemoLove: I feel conflicting this about this one. On one hand, it's gimmicky, full of cringe comedy and probably not one to recommend to people turned off by conservative "Let's not be intimate until we're married!" values. On the other hand, this pairing is gold. Aobayashi and Mimi stole my heart. It was a nice, sugary-sweet watch overall.

Nobunaga Concerto (recommended by @munie2812): I like this a lot! It feels like a crash-course introduction to the Sengoku Period, and seeing how I'm pretty ignorant about Japanese history, I appreciate how light and informative it is. Sometimes it's hard to root for Saburo, since he keeps pushing his modern day values onto these people with no thoughts for the consequences and being given the credit for the tactical strategies ideas of others, but I like how he's shaping up to be a strong leader. Unfortunately I haven't finished it yet becauseeeeee

Unnatural: Yep, I spontaneously decided to rewatch this. Spoiler: It's still a masterpiece.

It took me a week to finish the last episode of The Uncanny Counter. What started out as absolutely addictive ended up being a bit of slog by the end. What happened?! MyDramaList lists three screenwriters for the series. Great shows can have multiple writers but it felt schizophrenic towards the end. I confess that my strongest impression from the last episode is the PPL bespoke suit van. 😂

I do feel like the show let me down in some ways. I wanted more focus on the kickass found family, I wanted less the villains I don't care about. Although I was happy with the last episode (the return of the cute), the three before were a slog because the writers had to keep raising the stakes with every fight and it just wasn't possible to do that effectively. I can't help but wonder what the original writer planned for the last four episodes?

So it was reported that the original writer for EP1-12 “left“ the show due to supposed creative differences. The production claimed it was an amicable split but I smell behind-the-scenes drama. It was all very abrupt and clearly affected the quality of the remaining episodes. EP13 was hastily put together by the director and a rookie was brought in for EP14-16. Personally, I don't think they need another season but TUC is OCN's highest-rated drama ever so they'll want to milk it for all it's worth.

I just imagine a repeat of Temperature of Love when I read that the writer "left because of creative differences".

OCN will realize in the end (or realizing it now), that a second season would just be a waste of their money. Good luck to them.

I have stopped at ep 13. Maybe 14. I don't know anymore, as I lost interest when they killed the bald headed villain.

The Uncanny Counter really fizzled out like a predictable mess in the final few episodes. The early episodes were addicting and moreover, it was the bonds between the people that made me look over the cliche setup. So Mun's friends, grandparents and his developing relationship with other counters was the best part. But in the second half, more emphasis was on the action part which left the whole thing hollow.

That PPL van was ridiculous. The whole last 10-15 minutes of the final episode dragged.

Awwww..thank you for the shoutout ;))..hope u get to the end of the Nobunaga movie ^^. The ending leaves me with a lot of feelings lolll. Im currently watching Remolove & stuck in eps 3 😅😅..Now, reading your comment makes me want to rewatch Unnatural too hehh..There is rumour a new rom com drama for Ishihara Satomi & Ayano Go this year..cant wait ^^.

Space Sweepers is boring and it is too long

Kim Taeri is pretty and badass 🤘

I loved RUN ON and I will miss it.

I really like SHE WOULD NEVER KNOW (aka SUNBAE, DON’T PUT ON THAT LIPSTICK) got even better in episodes 5 and 6. I really like the female lead and the male lead’s sisters. All of the characters are well drawn but to me the male characters are particularlly well drawn- each representing a different kind of man but none are portrayed as perfect- even our male lead has flaws and drawbacks. They are as distinctive one from another as the extraordinary women that we saw in SEARCH: WWW. I hope that the writer will flesh out the female characters to the same extent as we go along. And more of Hyun-seung’s wonderful niece while we are at it.

MR. QUEEN is getting high ratings for a reason- and it is not just the to be expected extraordinary performance of Shin Hye-sun.

LOVESTRUCK IN THE CITY has turned the corner romantically at the end of episode 14. And now I find myself frustrated with the character of Rin-I. There is just something off about her- like she is actually afraid of the future which is why she is stuck just trying to keep things as they are.

My wife and I have also been enjoying the Chinese rom-com MY LITTLE HAPPINESS. It is a currently broadcast show so when we reach the end of this week’s episodes we have to set it aside until next week. It is a completely fluffy.

Meanwhile my wife has experienced the frustration of watching currently broadcasting Chinese Costume dramas. She is loving THE WORLD OF FANTASY and she loves REBEL PRINCESS so much she keeps watching even after the subtitles run out (and then re-watches those episodes after the subtitles appear). When she is out of episodes of those two shows she switches to THE BLOOMS AT RUYI PAVILION.

Finally, I am currently watching an older weekender: WHAT HAPPENS TO MY FAMILY. It is good, so far- but I am only up to episode 13.

My wife watched the excellent British drama BEECHAM HOUSE- and is disappointed because it simply ended with an unresolved kidnapping. Apparently the show was simply cancelled a la FIREFLY. In any case it had wonderful Indian scenery and characters- some of them historical.

I recall watching Beecham House and then to have that ending! Oh that ending!! ..... Certainly disappointed when I found out the show had been cancelled with no plans to bring it back in the near future.

Regarding Lovestruck I'm more frustrated by Kyeong Jun than Rin-I, although I think these two need a serious talk. My guess is they don't want to have it because they know they are walking different paths.

I think he needs to force the talk - it’s not fair to keep complaining about money but then also not letting your partner help you or doing anything about it yourself. (Maybe I’m projecting - I have a very frustrating friend who did this for years 😅)

Indeed they both do - and Kyeung-Jun is also to blame for not doing that. But at least he realizes that change is needed. What Rin-i does not want to acknowledge is that at some point change will happen no matter what.

I’m with you on Rin-I, she doesn’t seem to want to grow up. I would find her intensely frustrating to be around.

Tbh, I wouldn’t like ANY of the six leads around me...

L.U.C.A: The Beginning - So I watched Eps 1 & 2.....It has the same theme as 'Awaken' but with more running around. At the moment there is no difference between a genetically engineered human with a normal human because both leads can sustain injuries like nobody's business yet they can still outrun a track athlete :P

Will probably watch Space Sweepers since there aren't any other K drama or movie that I'm interested in at the moment.

SECRET ROYAL INSPECTOR: It could have ended at episode 14 but it’s fun to see how they will cheat death for the umpteenth time.

DAE JO YOUNG: I’m on episode 39 (of 134). It’s made me look up a lot about 7th century Goguryeo, Tang and the Khitan. All of them were fighting over control of the Liadong peninsula. I also met Empress Wu Zetian!

TRUE BEAUTY: On hold/about to be dropped. I made it to episode 13 and was just bored.

Well @wishfultoki this week you sent me down the KBS World rabbit hole on YouTube (and skipping through ads I haven’t had to do for awhile lol).
I had an enjoyable mini Oh Man-seok retrospective (2 dramas from the KBS Drama Special Series).
Based on your recommendation I first watched the four episode sageuk THE TRUE COLORS OF GANG AND CHEOL (2012). OMS was terrific as a Joseon private eye. After that concluded KBS World queued up next the four episode drama SPECIAL TASK FORCE MSS (2011) where OMS plays a detective in contemporary times but with the same name Noh Chul-gi that his character had in TRUE COLORS. It is like a prequel. Here he is teamed up with the wonderful Son Hyun-joo who was also in TRUE COLORS. I enjoyed both of the dramas.
While I was there I started poking around to see what other dramas were available on KBS World on YouTube and honestly it is a bit difficult but I discovered the sageuk KBS DRAMA SPECIAL: CRIMSON MOON (2015) where Kim Dae-myung (yes, nice Doctor Yang Seok-hyeong in HOSPITAL PLAYLIST) disturbingly (naturally) plays Prince Sado. So if folks want to see a different KDM a from MISAENG and HP then CRIMSON MOON is the one to check out.
CRIMSON MOON a was my first ‘Prince Sado’ drama. @wishfultoki a particular Prince Sado drama you would recommend.
O/T. One of the nice things about HAECHI and Jung Il-woo’s performance as the young Prince Yeoning was that it take place well before Yeoning’s ascension to the throne as King Yeongjo and the subsequent Prince Sado situation.

As the world's biggest Drama Special fan, I may have to watch some of these 😆

@frabbycrabsis I almost commented above but did not mess up your own thoughts.
I learned there is a difference between KBS Drama Special(s) and Drama Special Series on KBS2 which were multiple episodes dramas the famous WHITE CHRISTMAS (2011) also being one.
Late last year I did watch 2 episodes from the 2020 KBS Drama Special. The return of Dong Ha to the small screen in episode 8: WHILE YOU’RE AWAY and another favorite Kim Sung-cheol in episode 10: ONE NIGHT.

Yeah, there used to be a lot of short series, and a haven't gotten around to any yet (White Christmas is at the top of the list).
Last year's specials were great, but you managed to watch my two least favourites, hahaha! Dong-ha was great in While You're Away, but I couldn't stand the heroine, and I thought One Night could have been better.

@wishfultoki,
Apologies for the poor proofreading. The question was,
is there a particular ‘Prince Sado’ drama you would recommend?

No worries bong-soo @marcusnyc20, I understood the question. I think @kiara may be the one to ask... I have only watched WARRIOR BAEK DONG SOO, where in one of those strange drama coincidences, Prince Sado was played by Oh Man-seok! It was a very positive portrayal of Sado I recall, where he was pretty much the victim of a paranoid father.

I also watched the drama special CRIMSON MOON and was thoroughly creeped out by Kim Dae Myung's performance... a disturbing but probably more accurate portrayal.

Then there is the film THE THRONE / SADO (2015) with Song Kang-ho and Yoo Ah-in. It won numerous awards, but I haven't been brave enough to watch that one.

Thanks. I forgot that THE THRONE is available at Viki (US). I like both leads so I queued it up.
WARRIOR BAEK DONG SOO (2011) is also available at Viki.

THE THRONE is the best you can get on Sado.

@wishfultoki and @kiara
Also available on Viki (US) is SBS’s SECRET DOOR (2014) with Han Suk-kyu and Lee Je-hoon. The ratings seem rather modest for that time with an average of 6.3% for 24 episodes. I loved HSK’s performance in TREE WITH DEEP ROOTS but I don’t think I will attempt SECRET DOOR.
O/T. For the longest time Viki has had the sageuk film FORBIDDEN DREAM (2019) (once again starring HSK as King Sejong) on its “Coming Soon” list but there has been no subtle action.

Edit: my memory is failing me. I read a synopsis of WARRIOR BAEK DONG SOO and Sado isn't exactly the victim of his father... more like the victim of all the intrigue and assassins' plotting bundled up into an impossibly complicated yarn. I remember thinking by the end of this drama that nothing made sense.😂

I used to frequent this one historical website where the Chinese and Korean history buffs were having a heated debate over Liadong peninsula.
It was interesting at first until it got really uncomfortable with the name callings. So much national pride when it comes to Liadong.

We are both watching historical dramas from the same era  on opposite sides.
Let's meet in the middle for a friendly debate lol.

I can understand how national pride would be involved regarding Liadong... it belonged to all of them at one point in time.

I'm interested mainly in the historical implications. In giving up on Liadong completely Yi Seong-gye made a radical break with the Goguryeo-Goryeo past. Whether that was a good or bad decision isn't really the point, because I'm looking at it from a historian's viewpoint... I still have a lot to learn. Silla just got involved in the geopolitical reshuffle after the fall of Goguryeo (I'm on episode 45).

I hear you. All of them had their glory days.

I honestly don't remember much from DAE JO-YOUNG. I think I started skimming through it after General Yang died.
I was disappointed with the way the Tang side was portrayed and even the Khitan tribe.
"The Legend of Xiao Chuo" did a beautiful job portraying the Khitan people and culture if you are ever interested.

You probably got all political background for "RIVER WHERE THE MOON RISES" by now. I don't even think you need it but it's nice to know.
I like having that mental picture before going into a sageuk.

I might watch the first 4 and see where it goes.

Thanks for the pointer to "The Legend of Xiao Chuo" @kiara. I will look it up! I liked Tiffany Tang in PRINCESS WEI YOUNG.

Honestly once Yang Manchun and Yeon Gaesomun are gone DAE JO YOUNG loses its most interesting characters.

Re. RIVER, I watched the first two episodes and it was interesting... not much historical material to discuss as of yet (I was kind of hoping the assassins would be from Silla, but it doesn't seem to be the case). The opening sequence reminded me very much of Stabby OTP. I think it's the battle and Celtic-sounding music? :D

Just a note that I'm signing off for a while from DB because I gave up kdramas for Lent! (Wish me luck LOL). I'll catch up in a month or so with my sageuk buddies.
cc: @marcusnyc20 @ndlessjoie

P.S.: Did you notice Cliff of Non-Doom made an appearance in Episode 1 of RIVER?

@wishfultoki
I like Tiffany too and she's paired here with Shawn Dou whom I also like.
Her character is based on a RL Khitan empress so there is lots of culture and customs from beginning to end.

I hear you about DAE JO YOUNG. Generals were always more interesting to me than the king in that era.

RIVER.
 I went in with low expectations  and I still don't know how to feel about this show.
I'm guessing that they didn't have much of a budget or am I just spoiled from epic Goguryeo sageuks of the past?

This is going to be an easy watch no brain requires.
I'm not going to complain because I'm currently watching "Chang An" which is a feast for the eyes and brain.

Funny that we both thought about Silla with the assassins. This is something  those Hwarangs would probably do. The two girls would be the wonhas lol.
I noticed that the prime minister is a Kim. I thought it was a bit unusual since  it's more common in the south (Gaya and Silla especially).
I love Kim So-hyun but I'm going to fangirl over Lee Ji-hoon lol.

I miss our stabby OTP. Unbreakable Sword especially.

The opening scene felt like something from "THE LEGEND" too. I think this PD used to be an assistant to the late Kim Jong-hak.

Anyway, who is going to put up with my whining if you are not here?

Have a blessed and happy lent season Toki!
Be safe <3.

@wishfultoki How am I supposed to survive a sageuk that long without you?!!! You know this is a struggle for me (okay, maybe not this one since I've laughed a few too many times when it's supposed to be serious). I almost yelled, "That's Cliff of Non-Doom!"

@kiara I think my Stabby OTP™ should make an appearance in this one. They had such great regenerative healing abilities, until they didn't.

@kiara I'm here for all the whining, comparisons to Hwarang, and longing for Unbreakable Sword. I feel like @wishfultoki is abandoning me to watch this drama without her as a punishment for a drama I encouraged her to watch. 😆

@ndlessjoie

I'll be waiting for you to give this OTP a new name lol.

@wishfultoki
Is this the same cliff of non doom from "Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People," "Arang" and "Two Weeks?"

Run On : It held till the end. It was pretty consistent show throughout. Most of the characters grew throughout the series. They were not at same point as the series started.
It was the show about the characters accepting themselves, acknowledging their mistakes and loving themselves.
Lovestruck in City : I am still watching show. I don’t want any of the couple to end up together.
She would never know: Actors are doing great job but the plot is quite cliché.
Love featuring marriage and divorce: I don’t know what this show is trying to be. If you want to be makjang be makjang. If you want to take realistic approach just get on with it.
True Beauty : Superficial, cliché and trope filled show made tolerable by performances from MGY and HIY. I would recommend this show for fans of main cast and web-toon and nobody else.

For beanies of a certain age: what is the connection between Julie Andrews and Kdramas?
Answer: This sweet teaser for KBS’s upcoming DEAR M.
(DEAR M was not on my radar until I saw this teaser but after watching I queued DEAR M up on Viki (US).
Please feel free to sing or hum along:

I wasn't interested in this drama but just because of this cute teaser, I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

Very cute. My god, those kids are so young and dewy.

Oh my heart! Adorable humans alert!🥰

Mr Queen - My happy pill ending next week! 😭
My only hope right now is that it will stay good enough till the end so that I will be able to remember it fondly! ^^

CLOY - I also started Crash Landing on You this week, because I'm going through every project in Kim Jung-hyun's filmography, apparently?! 😂
I was avoiding the show before, I tend to do that with highly popular and hyped dramas..well, let's say that if it wasn't for KJH I would have dropped it after 2 episodes probably?? I don't know what I was expecting it to be, honestly, but the first few episodes are a level of ridiculous and cheesiness that is not my taste at all xD
But I braved through the beginning, with a lot of fast forwarding, and eye rolls, some laughs too. Then around ep 5-6 my interest picked up more, and now it's a fine watch. Still a bit ridiculous, but I'm liking it enough!
Right now I'm still skipping most scenes where the 4 leads, which I'm loving, don't appear; I can't quite warm up to the rest of the characters, and I don't care about what the baddies are plotting, tbh (I might miss some stuff, but it will do anyways ahaha).
P.s. Kim Jung-hyun looks so fine!!! ..too bad he's out there creating even more troubles for the 2 love birds xD
(Sadly I already know about his demise, so there's that..only on ep8 and he was threatened with a gun quite a few times lol)

CLOY is a great watch if you can ignore and move past some of the bits that might make you roll your eyes.😁 (I lapped up some of the over the top cheese during my first watch, and did a bit more cringing during a re-watch recently.)

I like shows that portray morally grey second male lead characters. I thought Kim Jung Hyun did a great job of making a con man very likeable and endearing, and in my opinion, it gets even better. Hope you enjoy the rest (and maybe develop even a little fondness for the ensemble cast).🙂

Oh I did!! I finished it last night and it was a pleasant watch overall!! Not as much skipping after I wrote that comment ahaha! I definitely have a soft spot for the ducklings now!! ^^

Also, I knew it was gonna happen but seeing Seungjoon's last scenes was still heartbreaking in the end, plus his flashback with Seo Dan..ahhh..so sad :(
And I have a total crush on KJH, right now..I'd probably end up liking him even as a straight up villain xD
But you're right about this specific character, he did a great job indeed!

Yay! Glad you enjoyed it overall, and developed a soft spot for the ducklings.☺️ I loved how distinct they managed to make each ahjumma and duckling - in a way that it wasn’t hard to distinguish them as individuals.

Ah the heartbreak!! I think some people never forgave CLOY/the writer for what happened. That flashback where he makes Seo Dan laugh in the car is just simultaneously 🥰 and 😭. Enjoy your KJH crush!😄

L.U.C.A: The Beginning: 9.0 Good title. Good Beginning. Except the hair.

Mr. Queen: 9.5

Run On: 7.0 Dan-A and the Boring People.

River Where the Moon Rises: Are we there yet? Can't you just hurry up and rise already?

---

K-movies - because I have to watch something

R2B / Return To Base / Soar Into The Sun: 2/10 Every stale trope you can imagine in a fighter-jet movie, plus the k-standard obnoxious bully Americans. The action was a bit hard to follow sometimes.

Space Sweepers: 4/10 Sorry, but the one and only true "Sweeper" is Lu-tzu from the Discworld novels. Accept no substitutes. Movie's frantic attempts to keep the adrenalin flowing are largely negated by absurdties that were epic even by sci-fi movie standards. Song Joong-Ki demonstrates the same project-picking stills that landed him in Arsedal. The little girl might have a future, though.

Sigh. As kdrama-altenatives these movies were better than nothing. Slightly. It's been a hard week.

Brace yourself for Song Joon-ki's next project, coming soon! It might actually surprise us and be good (or be ridiculous in a good way).

Secret Royal Inspector- Almost caught up. I find it delightful to watch at the end of a long day. I laugh too hard and replay some of the comedy scenes. That scene when one of the robbers comes to announce news to Hyungnim and addresses the other guy was so random but I couldn't stop laughing. I found the actor playing the governor really good. Lee Tae-hwan is that second lead who finally gets together with his brother's (ex) love interest. The middle episodes have been good. I really like Dain, Nara's character. I hope she took a bath after that disgusting water spray she got!

Run On

This drama is maybe one of the top five dramas where I have watched from the start to the end pausing only to cry and scream. Every character is interesting and there is maybe only two or three characters who I didn’t want to spend time on: Seung Kyum’s Dad, Dan Ah’s Dad and her Elder Bro. The rest of the characters were all magical and gave me all kinds of feels.

About Seung Kyum , I have never loved a male lead as much as I loved Seung Kyum. His communication errors, naivety and every tiny detail about him made me fall so much in love with him. He is probably the only character in this drama that didn’t do even a single thing wrong. Every move he made was carefully analyzed and calculated. Every time he did something, there was a reason. And that’s why I love him so much. He was someone who couldn’t express his feelings, not with anyone, not with a friend, not with his family, and not even with a diary. And yet by the end of the drama, he is one of the most developed characters I’ve ever seen. And his chemistry not only with Oh Mi Joo, but with Young Hwa, Woo Shik, Dan Ah, Young Il, his noona, mom, dad and even small moments with minor characters were all very special. He didn’t lack in anything and this is one of those dramas where I would die to get a second season. The way it ended just made me realize that I needed more.

I’ve always liked Shin Se Kyung ever since “The Girl Who Sees Smells” and her naturally acting ability. Something about her acting just gives me so much life. I love how emotive she is and she could show feelings only with her eyes. I love that her backstory isn’t featured here, even if I would want it, I’m glad they didn’t spend time on that. I don’t want to watch some what could’ve beens, obviously. I love her as a character, someone who is like me, except getting a hot boyfriend. Mi Joo reminds me of myself so much, from the point of not having proper breakfast to not wanting to exercise, and even to the point of carrying a gun (in my case a pepperspray) and how she would act tough and tell exactly what’s on her mind. And the chemistry with Lim Shiwan amazed me. I’ve never watched Lim Shiwan before and I’m so glad I didn’t let this pass.

I’ve only seen Kang Tae Oh in “The Tale of Nokdu” and how he transitioned from hilarious bromantic second lead to the final villain just amazed me. The charisma and the acting is superb. And when I first saw him in the first episode I was like “Hold on, I’ve seen him but why do I hate him already? Even when he looks so fucking gorgeous?” And then I googled him and then came the Aha moment when I saw that he was the villain in “Nokdu”. But I’ve never been this glad to fall for a second lead in a second couple and not fighting for the same girl. That was amazing. And the chemistry he had with Choi Sooyoung and Lim Shiwan was super amazing. I’ve never loved a bromantic couple as much as I do now. And his romance with Dan Ah was so beautiful.

Dan Ah. Kang Dan...

Dan Ah. Kang Dan Ah. Why did you make me fall in love with you? I honestly initially believed she was gay but I’m glad she came out and apologized for pretending to be gay. That was a defining moment. I love how she started off as someone I thought I was going to hate but turned out to be my favorite character among everyone. She has so much poise, such integrity, determination, passion, and charisma. I don’t usually fall for female characters but Dan Ah stole my heart. He romance with Young Hwa was amazing and I still can’t believe I won’t get to see their cat and mouse game again. But I love her other relationships in the drama too. Her frenemyship with Mi Joo (when she winked at Mi Joo in the beginning I started shipping them, lol) was so fucking amazing. I love how they always seemed to bicker but by the end of the day they ended up talking to each other and sharing details more than necessary. Dan Ah needed someone to talk to, and I’m glad Mi Joo was the one she chose. And also her relationship with her younger brother. There was so much feelings unspoken but I’m glad she decided to accept him as her brother and that put a smile on not only cutie brother but also my face. But the icing on the cake is her relationship with her secretary. I’ve always loved boss-secretary relationships but they always turn out to be romantic. So a platonic boss-secretary relationship like this is so amazing.

I also love the random love thrown at our favorite secretary and I’m so glad May Unnie found love too. And by the end of the drama May Unnie was the only one who got a kiss, lmao. Or more like a make out. I don’t want to speak about the dads or the Jerk Bro but I wasn’t satisfied that they got their redemption arc in like thirty minutes.

Oh and before I forget, KIM SEON HO !!!! My baby boy made an appearance and I can’t believe how so fucking happy that made me !! I can’t believe it. I didn’t know that he was gonna make a cameo and when I first saw him I had to pause and hold my heart because hair was beating too wildly. I miss seeing him on my screen, gaaaaaah.

A Love So Beautiful

This is my happy pill, honestly. The scenes still don’t intersect and make this drama feel whole but watching two cuties fall in love could always just be adorable. I’m still upset I can’t seem to connect with these characters because as a minor character in Dr. Romantic, I connected with So Joo Yeon’s character more there. But here everything seemed cropped into thirty minutes and that’s really hard to connect with. The second lead actor is adorable but has terrible acting skills. I’m sorry, he’s cute, yes, but I can’t feel anything like how I felt for his Chinese counterpart. Kim Yohan is surprisingly good. He’s one of the most handsome people I’ve ever seen, along with those bunny teeth and I recently discovered that he’s an idol. I hope he takes on more roles because I need to see him on screen again.

Fruits Basket

So this is the first...

The two Dan-ah/Mi-joo winks are top gif action in a cornucopia of gif action from Run On IMO.

I've finished the first four episodes so far of Run On and had the same reaction to Dan Ah as you. My yeesh turned to ooooh, you're cool!

(Sorry for the multiple deletes. I wish we could correct typos and styling errors!)

Fruits Basket

So this is the first anime I actually watched from the beginning and I’m loving it. I’m not much of an anime fan so you could imagine my surprise at actually loving this series. Tohru, Yuki and Kyo are so adorable together but then when you put Shigeru into the blend it’s hilarious. I love the side characters too but for now, these four owns my heart. Especially Kyo. For some reason Cat Boy makes my heart flutter. If this was a kdrama, he would be the lead right? The one with so much anger issues as opposed to the tragic backstoried Prince Yuki. And I try to make myself like Yuki as much as I like Kyo since he would obviously be the one to win Tohru’s heart but Kyo just.. argh. He owns me.

Kang Tae Oh, the idol actor that debut with 5urprise that also consist Seo Kang Joon? I know SKJ can sing but never knew he start as an idol group too. Fact that I got when watching RM rerun. Lol. I keep seeing KTO lately coz my LGDT2 rewatch. Lol.

Love everything you said about Run On.
Choi Sooyoung really impressed me as Kang Dan Ah. She brought so much spunk to the character. I first saw her in Man in the Kitchen but didn't have a strong impression but she sold me as Kang Dan Ah as a complicated character. I thought I would hate her character at first but she really grows on me the most. The winks she gave Mi Joo are so cute and made my heart skips a little. Even if her character is a lesbian, I still would be invested.
And yes, I appreciate the platonic female-male/boss-assistant relationship between Dan-ah and Mr. Jung. I want to see his cat!

Sunbae, Don’t Put on That Lipstick My favourite one! I love the slow romance between the main leads. The relationship between the siblings is super cute. They care about each other :) Hyeun Seung was so cute feeding Song-A with orange juice and yogourt.

L.U.C.A.: The Beginning I didn't really like it. We didn't see anything from the personality of the ML. The FL has super powers too : she was hit by a trunk, her heart stoped but ok just a sprained wrist. Then, she hit by an explosion, was unconscious but fought against strong people and ran a lot like nothing. She had her head on the rails when the ML used them against the train... I miss Awaken and NGM :(

Run On This drama was weird. In the last episode, we didn't see so much Mi-Joo...

True Beauty 14 episodes were enough.

Mr. Queen It's fun to watch the Queen fight against all these old men!

Lovestruck City It was predictable but kinda disapointing. Eun Oh still didn't apologize... The format changed again.

L.U.C.A. is some sort of Awaken but without our beloved NGM.
We miss him so much :(

Mr Queen
Secret Royal Agent - sorry Hong Dain, having lived a carefree life, a sheltered one is surely the death of you. Chun Sam-ah rocks the screen each time. Seong Ibeom , please enough of those sad eyes.
Love ft Marriage and Divorce- that last scene was gripping. Its been a while cliffhangers gripped me like that. They had the best couple chemistry - for me and were even my couple goals as age sets in, that I never thought she'd let the allergy run its course. I'd give a 9 overall to this drama. Sa hyeon , dont even get me started. Professor Park, I'm still undicided on this one. Lee Tae Gon's character, if this man actually cheats ehn, words are already failing me.

Run On: I miss it already. It feels strange that it ended. Part of me was expecting the end to include a dramatic moment (conditioned from all that kdrama watching), but true to the drama, it was low-key. Loved how the characters got all meta commenting on the nature of endings/happily ever afters. I love how we ended the series with checking in with everyone and that they're living life as best they can. It brought a smile on my face to see everyone in that movie the