Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

stroopwafel

River Where the Moon Rises: It’s a lovely breath of fresh air to be in the Goguryeo era. It reminds me a tiny bit of Xena: Warrior Princess, but with a type of fun that’s more sweeping epic than camp (although I won’t say no to some campy humor in future episodes). Kim So-hyun is so wonderful as Pyeonggang. You can see the vulnerability and her fighting spirit, and I can’t wait to see what happens next week given that she already knows there’s something in her past that she needs to reclaim.

Hello? It’s Me!: I can scarcely believe it, but this is a Choi Kang-hee drama that I really like. I think this is the first time I’ve seen her act as a character this downtrodden but she embodies Bahn Ha-ni so well that she grounds the drama and when the more fantastical elements start to fly, it all harmonizes beautifully. Kim Young-kwang is also in a character type that we don’t see often enough: a sad sack chaebol who’s half-pathetic, 100% hilarious. I’d been most curious about the introduction of 17-year-old Ha-ni into the world that 37-year-old Ha-ni is living in, and though I don’t quite get the rules of the world yet, I liked their interactions and I’m intrigued about how they might influence each other for the better.

Sisyphus: What a rich and detailed premiere! Everything was so cinematic; big yet detailed. Am I the only one already trying to figure out which details will be hints to what is happening in the Sisyphus world? Jo Seung-woo is great, and it’s trippy seeing him showing such a range of emotions (and flirting!) after being so used to seeing him as his Forest of Secrets character. I like what we’ve seen so far of Park Shin-hye, although it’s not much, and the little fish out of water moments we got. That really is my favorite element in any sort of time slip/time travel plot and I cracked up at Park Shin-hye’s banana-scarfing moment. I also got a good laugh at the Elon Musk-esque character being named Tae-sool and hearing “Tesla” every time Hyung called Tae-sool by name.

missvictrix

Currently weecapping: Sunbae, Don’t Put on That Lipstick and River Where the Moon Rises

Sisyphus: Yass! I really liked this show’s premiere week, I liked it a lot! I went in not knowing what to expect, but I got a convoluted, cryptic story that I just love so far. Park Shin-hye makes me want to learn how to fight (as if), but really it’s Jo Seung-woo that I’m digging the most here. This hero archetype is one of my all-time favorites: the genius, witty, troubled, and slightly unhinged hero that can save lives and crack jokes while doing things my puny brain would never be able to understand. Looking forward to more.

quirkycase

Currently recapping: Vincenzo

Mr. Queen: I really enjoyed the final episodes until that ending ticked me off. I like the bittersweet idea of So-yong and Bong-hwan influencing each other for the better and moving on, but it feels like Bong-hwan was erased from the lives of all the people he loved. And where did So-yong even come from? It seemed like her soul had moved on, but then she popped back up out of nowhere. But most galling for me was the complete erasure of any trace of a love story between Cheoljong and Bong-hwan. Cheoljong fell in love with Bong-hwan distinctly for his unique personality and characteristics, yet he doesn’t even notice when So-yong has a literal personality transplant and ISN’T THE SAME PERSON anymore? And that right after Byung-in was admonished for not noticing the change in So-yong after Bong-hwan took over! All we got was one little comment from Cheoljong about feeling like something was missing, but it didn’t seem to affect his relationship with So-yong at all. And I do not buy that Bong-hwan’s feelings only came from So-yong either. It feels like homophobia to me, and I’m not cool with it. They wanted all the hijinks of a man in the queen’s body falling in love with the king without any acknowledgment of anything remotely non-heteronormative. Not that I’m surprised, but I’m still disappointed.

River Where the Moon Rises: I’m not hooked yet, but the premiere episodes were kind of fun. I’m interested enough to keep watching to see where this goes.

Sisyphus: Honestly, I came into this mostly for Jo Seung-woo. There’s been a lot of time travel dramas of late, so I was meh on the premise and wasn’t sure what to expect. The first episode didn’t grab me, but by the second, I started to get invested. It’s got potential to be exciting and different, so I hope it delivers.

Tags: , , , ,

Beanies! It’s been a while, huh? I feel like I always forget to post here, and by the time I remember it seems like it’s too late. I’ve been busy with work and also decided to start my own blog, so keeping up with everything has been tough!

It’s been a couple months since I last did a WWW post so I’ll just stick with what I’ve watched this week!

Mr. Queen (20/20): There were parts of this show that I really liked, but I felt it kind of lost steam towards the end. Luckily, I think my waning interest meant that I didn’t react as strongly to the ending as some people did. I’ll always remember Shin Hye-sun’s Bong-hwan fondly, and maybe someday in the not-so-distant future we can get a drama that explores gender and sexuality in a more meaningful way.

Lovestruck in the City (17/17): I felt that this show improved as it went on. That last episode was completely meaningless, but I quite liked how it ended most of our character’s stories. I don’t think Eun-oh and Jae-won should ever end up together, but I appreciated the show’s focus on Eun-oh’s story. Unlike most Beanies, the more I learned about Eun-oh the more I liked and related to her. She was completely messy and totally flawed, but I saw a lot of myself in her and couldn’t help but feel for her. I really enjoyed seeing her friendship with Rin-yi and Geon and wish we got more of that instead of the romance. Honestly, I didn’t give a care about Jae-won at all from start to finish. While at first I didn’t care for Seon-yeong, the show had me rooting for her in the end and I found the bits between her and Geon towards the end surprisingly touching. Here’s hoping we see more of Han Ji-eun in the future because I think she’s a huge part of why the character grew on me.

A Love So Beautiful (23/24): An inoffensive snooze-fest, to be honest. Lacks the charm of the original and the two leads have absolutely no chemistry. This really is just a time filler for me. Something to watch while I eat breakfast.

Love (ft. Marriage and Divorce) (8/16): Not quite as makjang as I was expecting, barring one of the storylines that veers into fauxcest territory. It’s actually a pretty standard infidelity drama. The kids are easily the best part of the show, and I was surprised by how engrossed I was in Hyang-gi’s confrontation with her father. The whole thing played out for about 27 minutes, half of the episode’s runtime, and yet my eyes were glued to my screen. I’m definitely going to watch out for this actress in the future! So subtly intense.

River Where the Moon Rises (2/20): I always used to say that I hated sageuks, but I think I’m changing my mind. It helps that this is much more on the fantasy side of things, despite having no actual magic. I totally dug the premiere week for this drama and I love the burgeoning relationship between Kim So-hyun and Ji Soo’s characters. I think this show has a lot of potential and fingers crossed it continues to deliver! Also,...

Also, I LOVE that score! You can read my full review on my blog… I’ll link it below!

Hello, Me! (2/16): The comedy in episode 1 really fell flat for me, but I was much more into episode 2. I don’t really care for either Choi Kang-hee or Kim Young-kwang, both generally speaking and in this show, but I LOVE Lee Re. That girl just sparkles on screen and she’s really carrying this show, IMO. I think it has potential to be a poignant heroine-focused story. I’ll see where it goes.

Sisyphus (1/16): I haven’t seen the second episode of this yet and my thoughts so far are a bit mixed. I have a lot of questions and think it could be quite an interesting show if done right. I’m happy to see more and more sci-fi offerings in dramaland. Even if they end up being bad (which is usually what happens), I just like seeing dramaland trying something different! Not holding my breath for this show but, again, I’ll see where it goes.

That’s it for this week! Wondering how on Earth I’m going to have time to check out Beyond Evil, Times, AND Vincenzo this weekend but, well, we’ll see.

Hope you had a good week, Beanies! Thanks for reading!

My River Where the Moon Rises review if anyone is interested:

I took a quick peek at your blog and it looks terrific.
Good luck.

Oh, thank you! I'm just doing it for fun, it's nice to have a place to just say whatever you want.

Good luck on your blog.

Thank you, Bev!

Awesome job @Mindy!

Just a thought on the nanny.

In the folktale On Dal's mother is said to be blind so the nanny is taking her place in this story.

Her choice to burn her eyes doesn't seems to be related to anything cultural other then her desire to stay low in order to protect her adopted son.
Who would want to harm a poor old blind lady and her foolish son?
She may lose her sight but she seems to gained a six sense. Pretty interesting.

I also just dropped a review of Hello, Me! *shameless self promo*

I really wanted more Han Ji-eun in Lovestruck.

I still haven't seen Be Melodramatic somehow so I'm excited to finally watch that at some point and see more of her!

Haven't seen Be Melodramatic either, but she was amazing in Kkondae Intern. In fact I didn't even realise Sun-young was played by the same actress till I read her name somewhere.

Be Melo is rare above avg. korean drama and that's why i always name it.

I was watching Be Melo at the same time as LITC and never made the connection - that's how good she is!
Oh and Be Melo is such a subtle gem, it never fails to make me laugh and tear up in every ep. It would be a good watch to balance all the sage swords and political plots in the lineup this Kdrama year.

MELO is a must watch.

Just checked out your blog....looks great! Love the Into the Ring-inspired name and styling 😁 Good luck with it. You say that you love slice-of-life dramas...if so, then Melo has got to be number one with a bullet! Can't wait to see what you think of it.

Just finished watching Be Melo and I'm so in love with it. Haha! Too bad I didn't watch it in real-time, would've been so fun talking about it on the wall. 😆

agree about A Love So Beautiful. i dont know why the korean version didnt take itself seriously. maybe it could be better if the leads have chemistry but yep cant see the chemistry

Yeah I really liked the original chinese A Love So Beautiful, and I’m watching this one, but it’s just so...paint by numbers. Without understanding the charm of the original. The FL is solid, and adorkable, but the ML is...flat, and wooden. Even though I found the original chinese ML much the same it still hit different.

CRICKET -

England Vs. India - Kiwis. yes yes yes. Kiwis are in final and the other place is fought between 3 teams now. This 3rd test will decide who will compete against New Zealand in World test Championship final.

Its day night test so more fun expected. What a way to write sports.

IPL - woah. 2 million dollars for 2 players for merely 1 year. yeah yeah huge in cricket. peanuts for footballers and few other selective leagues.

JAPAN -

My Daughter doesn't have a Boyfriend - 7/10 - yup its still 7.
Translator would do good by mentioning few more references - sometimes they become important - like episode 5 blood group light talk between our otaku fujoshi girl and her classmate. I'm really enjoying this one. characters are pretty interesting. music is good. gag-comedy works well. The relationship dynamics are interesting and the show does have substance.

Mairu no Vich - 4/10 shoujo trash. what else. Sakurai Hinako

Horimiya - 4/10 - Lot liked the manga but i had always -ve opinions about it. Show is effectively trash.

Rainbow Chart - 7/10 - This is the slice of life show to go for. Takahata Mitsuki is in. Simple and does create warm feelings in your heart. Show for adults.

Oh! My Boss - 4/10 is your 1 typical romance drama competitor of korean romance dramas because both are almost same and as expected it gets traction. Mone is such a typecast now.

Last Christmas - 6/10 - 2004 Japanese drama. watched it in 5 days. It wasn't half bad tv drama. shows the low quality of romance dramas of recent years.
It has many of the typical romance cliches - not a -ve factor at all. There were some annoying moment from side characters. Few character events were added to spice things up and looked pretty forced and those things were solved pretty easily too. e.g - classmate says she likes the hero and then we get to see she's married and suddenly there is childish fight shown between classmate-husband. This wasn't a one event alone the whole show is made of these silly events. ofcourse you can make any meaning out of conversations between characters but that won't hide the cheap tricks of writer. Baits and more baits. Still it wasn't that bad to look at.

China -

Hello Debate Opponent Season 2 - 6/10 - except debate topics everything else has regressed.

Korea -

Orphan Family - 4.5/10 - I've watched all 44 episodes. woah. This show is one big hookup joint as well as mini kitchen.

STD - 3/10 - disgrace in the name of Sci-Fi. not a single +ve thing to talk about. atrocious writing and direction so u can;t expect much from acting too. Director+team is bunch of collage dropout - did they even planned anything? This another mindless action - even wagebond had far better storyline and that tells u how low quality the show is. Several weeks ago i had made comment after watching its trailer and i'm right once more.

soap opera river - 3/10 - what's there to look at? hero/heroine marching and within minute eliminating 3 dozen enemies? Or heroine acting like fool all around in episode 2? Or your typical revenge soap opera? Not a single thing worth mention. another overhyped garbage.

Vincenzo - 7/10 - Among all the new dramas this one made the mark.

+ve Hero aka hollywood hero - can do anything.
Our hero is selling a suits of a famous brand here? or tie? looked handsome.
+Ve advocate father actor - i like him
-ve Daughter overreactions - maybe intentional so as to make hero look more cool and appealing?
-ve comedy - writer is far too bad at it.
-ve - i could feel the annoyance of Vincenzo

Story's main element is real - that's how things are done in real life, except no one buy things in friends name. Its quite easy to buy identities,create fake identities, and then create web of obfuscation and enough issues with laws that anyone capable can escape.
Things are rough in korea and Mr. Vincenzo got 1st taste of it right out of airport and i believe those 2 guys will come handy later as it happens in these kinds of kdramas.

It surely is that drama where there are multiple villains and their means are used against them and audience gets to taste it without being conflicted about ethics and morals of it.

1 hour 23 minutes is just too long. make it under 65 minutes and also reduce the effects done for hero's entry and motions. Tone down the heroine. Make side characters a bit interesting

All of this. I totally agree!

River where the moon rises. I liked it a lot, not everything is politics and makjang (a relief in a sageuk). I find the OTP cute and my heart is a little broken thinking Le jiHoo wll be the bad guy. I will be here next week for sure.

L.U.C.A: The beginning. I was wrong about Dr. Oh. And I was wrong about thinking JiOh was the most human character of all. I think no one is really human in this drama. I wonder if any of the leads will make it to the end of the drama with their tendency of being bitten. And GuReum maybe should look for some therapy because she really doesn’t want to find out whatever happened to her parents, but clearly wants to kill herself. The survivors guilt, I guess. Still, a fun watch.

Lovestruck in the city. Well, the epilogue was cute and didn’t have much to do with the main characters, but I liked it. I think the drama will benefit from binge watching and FF the scenes in Jeju, which are mainly a waste of time. We could have had the same resolution without so many flashbacks. I don’t think I will remember this drama, but I have to say that it improved, and I liked the acting, specially in the second half. I’ve recovered my faith in JWC.

Sisyphus: The myth. i was a bit scared about this one, because even if it’s CSW, everything I had seen felt a bit random, but I liked it. I generally love anything dystopian so I’m in for the moment. There are certain things that don’t make sense, like 25 men in black suits with guns unnoticed for all the neighbors, but I’m willing to look aside. And I also have Tae In Ho so I’m a happy beanie.

Also watching Secret Affair, Saimdang and my rewatch of When the weather is fine which is my happy pill. And I will watch Vincenzo and probably Beyond evil.

The men in black suits was really absurd, lol, they killed the restaurant owner but were just going to leave the nosy neighbors all around, lol.

It may be a different trope for SK audiences - let's not forget this is an echo of reality in SK within living memory. The forced camps of the 4rd republic and even those exposed pre Olympics disappeared people with the silence or assistance of those around them.

It is also a signal of the difference between the primary scandal (a secret needing to be covered up at all costs) and the once removed scandal that can actually be used to mask the real secret embedded in the first. I can think of a number of false stories that would give cover for the murder particularly once fed to the media.

Hi! How do you do the bold on words? It's not [b][/b] is it?

It’s with

Sorry I didn't get it. With?

Replace those brackets by the pointy brackets (smaller than, greater than).

Oh I see. Thanks!

Now, here you have a guide: https://imgur.com/8Ri9Ndu

Awesome! Thank you so much!!!

-completed-

SPACE SWEEPERS - (watched:complete/ratings:7/10) I really enjoyed this movie labeled as the first Korean space blockbuster movie. The whole plot was a bit predictable, but I enjoyed it very much from the beginning to the end (though it felt confusing sometimes with many things happening at the same time/I had to rewind for several times). The movie highlighted humanity’s problems such as greed, hate, obsession, extremism (mirroring our current society). But in the end the movie showed that it is kindness, humbleness and hope that always triumph. Despite being predictable, they surprised me with Sun-in’s failed retrieval since Tae-ho’s search for his daughter was one of the main themes of the movie. Either way, my favorite characters were Kot-nim, Tiger Park and Captain Jang. Also loved Kim Hyang-gi’s cameo. Thanks for 2 hours of pure joy.

MR. QUEEN - (watched:complete/ratings:8/10) A very happy ending for our characters. BUT, am I the only one who felt this ending bittersweet? I think the Bong-hwan storyline was undeveloped (wished they showed more of him, such as his inner thoughts and sexuality in the present days)… Btw, the court ladies realized the change in So-yong, and yet, Cheoljong never does, what!? I don’t buy it, even he said that he lost “something”, but never found an answer to that puzzle. So-yong was obviously different after she returned back even though she kept some of Bong-hwan’s habits…Anyway, all the ranting aside, this was a very memorable drama.

LOVESTRUCK IN THE CITY - (watched:complete/ratings:3/10) Min-ho!!! Such a cute love story between him and the rookie actress. And probably the best love story in this unforgettable show (in a bad way)…Thanks Min-ho for putting a smile on my face after the anguish I felt throughout this journey!

TO ALL THE BOYS: ALWAYS AND FOREVER - (watched:complete/ratings:5/10) The third and final installment of To All The Boys film series, and I must confess that, despite being an enjoyable movie with its ups and downs, it lost that special “spark” from the first movie (which I regard as the best of all the three films). I felt that the “magic” was gone, you know. But it was still an okay-ish piece of entertainment. I only feel sorry that the most gratifying part of the movie to me was the trip to South Korea, which was…at the very beginning…

-ongoing-

HIKARU NO GO Chinese - (watched:-/ratings:-) I didn’t watch any ep this week.

River: I liked the first two episodes. The Goryeo dresses are stunning. I loved KSH as a badass Queen and then a female assassin.

L.U.C.A: We are at the half way mark and revenge is best served sweet. I hope he gets all of them. His crush on her is kind of cute. It is a trauma crush, but cute nonetheless.

Hello! It's me:I tried the first episode and it just isn't for me. I can only take so much man baby.

Sisyphus: The drama borrows heavily from Stargate SG1, the Adjustment Bureau, and first person fighter video games. It is a weird amalgamation, but I don't mind it. I like PSH here, but she has a soft space in my heart, so I usually like her. It is weird seeing CSW in a less stern role, but he is fun.

I am looking forward to Vincenzo and Beyond Evil, I may also try Times. Busy week for dramas.

Kim So Hyun pulled triple duty flawlessly! Shockingly good as the Queen and badass as the assassin and poised but strong as the warrior princess!

The Adjustment Bureau! Yes! I couldn't quite put my finger on what I was reminded of while watching Sisyphus, but that's exactly it. Thank you!

I had to google it too, lol. I just remembered suitcases and Matt Damon, lol. Fringe also cones to mind as well.

Elements reminded me of The Umbrella Academy too.

Yes, that too. Good catch.

Good call on Fringe! I definitely see some omg, holy crap moments coming up in this show. That Fringe S1 finale was EPIC!! I'm sensing something like that reveal in Sisyphus, esp. w/ The Matrix like assassins all clad in black lol. All we need is a Mr. Anderson like speech complete with campy laughing.

I hope so, lol.

I didn't watch The Adjustment Bureau, but I'm noticing Sisyphus is getting several sci-fi references from a lot of different iconic sci-fi works lol. (Which is a good thing imo, I say steal from the best!). But in what way?

Hi Beanies! So many new shows, so little time! But I tried to watch as much as I could 🤗

Completed
Mr. Queen - Everyone else has already said what I felt. It was a great show, the ending makes sense but there's still a lingering sense that SoBong deserved better.

Lovestruck in the City - Okay it finally did end with a story about someone we've never met before! I will not be tuning in for a Season 2.

A Love So Beautiful - Was nice to see Heon's POV at the end.

Ongoing
Sunbae - Why do the leads seem less intimate now than before they started dating 🤔 Also do we really need the creepy BM storyline with 3 weeks to go?

New Dramas
River Where the Moon Rises - This feels like every sageuk trope mashed together into one big sageuk - incompetent king ✔, evil courtiers ✔, unjust deaths ✔, revenge ✔, assassins ✔, loyal bodyguard ✔, and so on. I also didn't feel the emotional beats I should have when the Queen and the General died. Will continue watching for now for KSH's excellent performance and Lee Ji-hoon 🥰 but I don't know if I can sustain interest for 20 episodes.

Hello Me! - Despite being traumatised by Choi Kang-hee in Good Casting, I gave this a try. But if your show has to rely on toilet jokes multiple times in each episode, it's a sign the humour well doesn't run deep. Dropped.

Sisyphus - Only seen the first episode so far and it was a really strong beginning in spite of some trope-y moments (ignition switch car bomb 🙄). Plus it's such a delight to watch CSW actually show emotions 😆

Weekend Plan
Beyond Evil and Vincenzo for sure. Times if I get time (no pun intended!)

C-dramas - Parked till I can get more time 😅

People talk about toilet jokes (I read about it before here). But what does that mean? Sorry for asking, I'm just curious ;)

Poop jokes.

Lol yeah what mindy said. There were a lot of poop and diarrhea related 'jokes' in the first 2 episodes.

Oh I see. I remember that someone spoke about Toilet jokes from a drama last year (I can't remember which drama it was). And it left me wondering...

Oh, no!! 🤦‍♀️ I wanted to watch this drama, but now I know I won't. I can't stand toilet jokes! 😖

Well that wasn't my only issue with me. It was very trope-y and I really can't stand CKH's hammy acting.

But if you wanted to watch, you should give it a try and decide for yourself. Maybe the toilet humour ends with the first 2 episodes. One can only hope 🙏

I would love a sequel to Mr. Queen that tells us about the life Bong-hwan leads in Seoul.

Oh that'd be nice. I was hoping the epilogue/ spin-off would include some more information on BH since his story seemed rushed but no such luck 😔

Mr. Queen: I liked this drama but maybe not as much as others and found myself vaguely dissatisfied overall. The ending fell flat to me because we never got to know So-yong and neither did the King. Maybe if we could have seen her fight for her body and take control from time to time during the series, I would have been okay with it?

Love (Ft. Marriage & Divorce): Watching the daughter calmly dismantle her father’s pathetic excuses was surprisingly riveting. Those kids are the most mature characters in the whole drama.

River Where the Moon Rises: The cinematography is beautiful. The writing … isn’t great. It is really trying to feel epic, but the execution isn’t quite there. I found myself wishing Kang Ha Neul had more than a cameo role and the drama centered on his character and Queen Yeon. They just seemed so much more compelling than their kids. By the end of Episode 2, I was grateful he was just a cameo. Goguryeo politics are just as boring as Joseon politics, but the Goguryeo fashion is a nice change.

L.U.C.A.: The Beginning: Ji Oh, I am your father. The chekhov gorilla strikes.

Lovestruck in the City: Well, I earned a bean. The extra episode was pointless.

Sisyphus: The Myth: The science is ridiculous and the time travel aspect will undoubtedly become a big old mess, but I like Jo Seung-woo and Park Shin-hye so far. As soon as Han Tae-sul MacGyvered the plane, I settled in to be stupidly entertained.

Hello, Me!: It’s a no for me. So many things annoyed me: Choi Kang-hee’s hair, the young and old versions of her character, the k-drama trope of watching a truck of doom speed toward you, that snack stealing kid and his awful mother. I am sort of interested in the spoiled manchild’s growth arc, but not enough to endure the rest.

Beyond Evil: First episode was okay. I was hoping Yeo Jin-goo would play evil but it doesn’t seem like it.

Chekhov's gorilla indeed :D

The plane MacGyvering is what pulled me in too!

So someone watched the typical kdrama

Female - young girl or girls - missing - ofcourse - everyone in the audience knows the outcome - police and police cars - and the same dialogues - same hero trying to save and find the culprit.

Vincenzo: Just watched Episode 1. Stop with the long run times, drama land! I don't know how good or bad SJK's Italian was but the scenes made me cringe and laugh. It reminded me a lot of The Fiery Priest, the writer stole a lot of elements from himself lol. I'll tune in for Episode 2.

His Italian wasn’t that bad, in fact (I think it’s better than his DoTS English), although it doesn’t make it good.
I liked episode one. I just hope the following ones are not that long.

I might give Vincenzo a try since I have heard rave reviews about it.

Mr. Queen (Series review) - Mood progression: B- / B- / C+ / C+ / C- / C / C / C / C- / C-
Given the Korean audience, the writer already had an uphill battle when adapting the original Chinese novel: I believe it was notably more liberal in its interpretation of sexuality, making it awkward when adapting with cultural sensitivities in mind. Yet, there were so many unrelated blunders: 1) Saguek politics resulting in awful characterisation and storytelling choices, 2) Blatant disregard for fantasy elements and ham-fisted resolutions in the finale, 3) Clear lack of planning for the story as seen by the avalanche of plot holes as well as an frustrating deus ex machina. At least the acting is great?

Sisyphus: The Myth (Episode 1-2) - Mood: C
If anyone wants to see what realistically happens when there’s a hole in the cockpit’s windshield, please google ‘British Airways Flight 5390’ or ‘Sichuan Airlines Flight 8633’: that flight sequence was pathetic writing! For a show proclaimed as an anniversary special drama, there are so many awkward bits: 1) Seo Hae posing on the train top and escaping the drone? 2) Ex-girlfriend as psychiatrist? 3) CSI zoom reveal? 4) Gratuitous shirtless scene? 5) Seo Hae and Sun dodging all those bullets? 6) DNA test using ashes? And that isn’t even a hard question like ‘what time travel theory is applied?’!

L.U.C.A.: The Beginning (Episode 5-6) - Mood: D+
So instead of Yi Son dying, we had the NFS guy dying instead: that death indicates that Yi Son has crossed the line but I bet that he’s going to get a redemption arc since he stopped Yoo Na from getting the injections. The world domination dream with the cloning bores me to death: you have Jin Kyung and you couldn’t give her a better script? Also, I wonder what’s the purpose of all the police characters if Goo Reum’s the only one investigating: maybe now that police head is aware of her circumstances, he might rally the team behind her? Ji Oh’s friend’s arc isn’t over yet as well: hmm.

Sunbae, Don’t Put on That Lipstick (Episode 9-10) - Mood: D+
In some ways, it does feel like Song Ah and Jae Shin are the main leads of this story: they both have really complicated relationships with their parents whereas Hyun Seung and Hyo Joo are definitely more one-note in nature. It’s funny how separate the leads are now considering the starting hoo-ha but I’m sure all hell will break loose when Jae Woon gets to meet Ha Eun’s uncle. The writer’s still dragging out the chef/housewife/doctor triangle, company characters and drama are fillers (new BM stuff is just so lame) and I don’t know why Hyun Seung’s friends exist in the plot. But Ha Eun is cute!

River Where the Moon Rises is the definition of big budget sweeping sageuk dramas! That cinematography! That score! Kim So Hyun doing the best role of her life and Ji Soo being the best Ondal! Everything about it was perfect and exactly what sageuk should be! Keep it up!

Wow I feel sooooo weird that I can't seem to get into Sisyphus even after practically forcing myself to sit through the entire premise week.... Even with flirty, genious, a lil bit softie Jo Seungwoo on my screen. It feels like a drama too confused and sentimental to be packed as a movie but too much money to be spend as an ordinary drama so might as well just give all these sci fi effects....

River tho.... Both Kim Sohyun and Jisoo looks so (too) good! But the story couldn't grab me yet this far but Kim Sohyun looks SOOOO GOOOD, so I'm coming back for more

Also : is L.U.C.A worth watching even with that weird perm on Kim Raewon?

LUCA is an entertaining watching, but be aware everybody gets bitten and tortured like a lot, everybody lies and they all need therapy. Having said that, I’m enjoying 😆

*PREMIER WEEK JDKAHSVDGS

Kim So Hyun and Ji Soon oozed chemistry from in every scene! Their best roles so far!

Kim So Hyun and Ji Soon oozed chemistry in every scene! Their best roles so far!

To answer your question about LUCA below, I have to compare it with Sisyphus. Sisyphus looks like it'd be more cool and it has the hotter stars. LUCA is frankly quite demented, contains a lot of cheesy CGI and so far largely follows the following pattern: 1. Bad guys find Weird Perm. 2. Weird Perm electrocutes bad guys and runs away. 3. Lee Da-hee either gets her head smashed into something or something smashed over her head. 4. Repeat from the top.

But for some strange reason I can't bring myself to start Sisyphus, while LUCA has got me in its crazy grip. The overall story is pretty messy and silly, but there are a lot of terrific little moments; the ensemble cast is excellent; and I haven't been annoyed by it, not once. So yes I think it's worth watching, if only to witness K-drama stretching in weird new directions.

Your description of LUCA made me laugh but is very accurate.

Totally accurate, I have to admit it 😂

You nailed LUCA - and I too can't stop watching it! But please can Lee Da-hee stop getting beaten up so much?

I can't believe she is still alive actually.

This!

She should have a cast or a bandaid, or something other than a bruise on her cheek.
This is when suspension of disbelief kicks in and I keep watching her kick everyone else's butts....
all the while getting her head bashed in as well. sigh

Your description of LUCA, as well as other Beanies’ comments, had me in stitches! 🤣 I might try watching its first ep now since this sounds so silly it might make me laugh.

Currently watching:

1. Sisyphus: I went into this one without anything besides the fact that JSW and PSH are in this. Based on my past, it seems like I tend to be very lenient with fantasy genre, so I guessed it should be fine; and it was! I really liked the premiere week. I knew things wouldn't make sense, so I just didn't try to make sense of anything. This reminds me of when I watched The King The Eternal Monarch and I had to switch off my brain. I liked that one a lot because I felt like I was in a fantasy world, this one makes me feel very much the same.

It seems like PSH is normally cast in this type of roles, opposite veteran male actors. I think she is very lucky in this respect because sometimes this show also reminds me of MotA. It doesn't seem like she will be downgraded to be a pot plant in the future, so I think it will be an interesting ride.

2. Reply 1988 (5/16?) I love every episode of this one. Somehow, I don't feel like having to finish it asap, so I come back to it when I feel like. Every episode has all the feelings, and I don't have any doubt as to why so many people love it.

3. Run On (rewatch 1/16) : I miss Mi-joo and her way of teaching the ML how to love and stand for himself. I need a daily dose of Mi-joo. She is my inspiration.

Dropped:

1. River Where the Moon Rises: Costume is great, but I wasn't into the story. I think I'm really bad with sagueks.

I'm rewatching Run on, too 🙋

😄

Hooray! Let us know what you think of it. The year has barely started, but I can already tell it's going to be one of my loves. (Maybe I'll be lucky and you'll even do a blog about it...😃)

Thank you! I'll definitely do 😄
I'm even thinking of doing a mini recap & review every couple of episodes beyond the main post, because I have found out that I can screenshot watching from the cellphone, and now I am screenshotting like there is no tomorrow and I have to do something with all those photos... 😅

That sounds like a grand plan - I'll keep an eye out for whatever you post! 😊

Currently, no dramas.

Watched ISLE OF DOGS (2018 Wes Anderson animation). It tried too hard to be like a Japanese anime, and it had some weird editing choices. The background artwork was stellar but the character movements were choppy. The story itself was cohesive but not with much depth.

As for Variety, How do You Play is attempting to bring back an old-style variety show, "Star Survival" which Yoo hosted in the past. The concept of bringing non-variety talent onto a talent show was well done in old footage from X-man, but this re-boot seems watered down as the cast are not variety newbies.

The choppy movements is because everything was done by stop animation——all of it, which is quite a feat in this day and age. I really like that movie and the making of it is worth a read too.

Cheorin - I have mixed feelings about the ending. If they chose this way how to end it, they should have skipped some unnecessary parts (why all the miscarriage drama?) and more develop the Bong Hwan-Soo Young-Cheoljong relationship. It was a nice touch with the Queen's Dictionary, but Cheoljong should have known WHAT/WHO was he missing and there should have been a proper farewell and send off. That said, I still loved the series, especially for all the laughs it gave me. Shin Hye Sun was great (how did she do that eyebrow thing? 😁) and so was Kim Junghyun, best together. 💕 I will also fondly remember Lady Choi (and many many other characters). And I actually liked Hwajin's arch... and that That Random Character did have a purpose and actually saved the day 😀

Sunbae - Hyunseung is soooo sweeeeet 😍... and I liked the eye-kissing before the actual kiss. Also... I'm living for the team's interactions 😀

eye-kissing 😍

I saw the pictures for tomorrow episode, they're good at teasing us.

Love featuring marriage and divorce : It’s not what I hoped for. I do not care for the anyone except the 50’s family. I am watching this show solely for them.
I loved confrontation between the Hyang-gi and her father. She was so in control, calm and on to the point while facing her father. This is how confrontation should happen precise and to the point. Her father is really pathetic – what did he expect? He is the one who cheated, he is the one who broke the trust and he wanted his family understand him and give him their blessing? He is as much entitled brat as Sa-Hyun.
She would never know: This is not something exceptional. It is standard melo romance featuring people with loads of family issues. It falls in the category- mildly interesting due to performances of main cast.
River where moon rises: I did not like first episode as much I hoped. There were several head scratching moments. Now with backstory is out of way I am hoping that we will get the epic sageuk that we were promised.
Sisyphus the myth: I have not watched episode 2. The 1st episode was bit too much with the genius scientist/engineer/CEO rescuing a falling plane and warrior from future enjoying the breeze while seating on top of the train in middle of tense chase.

I'm watching Love (Ft. Marriage and Divorce) for the 50's family too. I like the wife and kids, especially the daughter.

Love ft marriage and divorce (7-8): Half way through the show and I am still clueless about the plot. I did a lot of FF esp on scenes of Si sun's family. Their dialogues are just too long. So now when HR ended up in hospital, Sa hyun is ready to deal with the"other women"?. The step mom is continuing to be gross I mean what do she think of herself?. The whole amusement park sequence was too much. And the mysterious ladies remain mysterious this week too. Since the doctor and them now have a common destination I hope we get some development regarding their plot this week.

On last note : I did find some chemistry between HR and Mr Seo. Wonder if the show will explore that possibility.

River where moon rises (1-2): I liked the premier episodes and planning to continue watching it.

Sisyphus: The Myth (1-2): The story set up is good. Its confusing right now and that's a given when it's a time travel drama. The story so far was engaging. Both leads are doing a great job. Can't wait for them to work together. My only complaint regarding the premier episodes were the fight scene. The editing seems off and it felt a bit unrealistic that the trained people of Control Bureau failed to spot and aim their guns at a target right in front of them. And also how easily Han Tae Sul performed the DNA Test. It's a small fact but hits home since I work in a related field. Keeping aside these points I am excited for the coming episodes.

Hello!! me (1-2): Not an impressive start. To be frank I didnt enjoy the premier episodes much. I like KYK and it's my first time watching something of CKH. I didnot find her acting exactly good. But I will give the series one more week before deciding.

Douluo Continent (15/40): The whole drama felt like part of mythical video game but is strangely addicting. It's my first time watching Xiao Zhan (although most of his works are included in my "to watch" list). There is every kind of spirit and creatures in the series- from a dog with a dangerous fart and yeti/giant ape/something I dont know what to name to a monstrous sea creature. I loved the scenes from shrek academy and all the seven members. I loved the dynamics between Dai Mu Bai and Zhu Zhu Qing. Can't wait for their story to progress. The FL has a high tone of chirpiness (which I guess is due to her bunny spirit) which I find annoying at times.

A love so beautiful (22-24): And it ended. It was a light and cute watch. Will look for the future works of ML.

Penthouse 2 (EP 1): What a start !!! 1 min into the episode and we have the first death. Second season seems to be even more dark and crazy than the first season but I can't complaint. Everybody is extra crazy. That maid totally creeped me out when she said " I can't live without Dan Tae ". That slap by Cheon Seo Jin was totally crisp. And finally the ending...I didn't see that coming. While I am awed by the twist I am not exactly in for the pair of Yoon hee and yoon Cheol. Yoon hee is...

Yoon hee is my least fav character in the series guess that can be the reason. I wonder if they will ever reveal the daughter's murderer. So much happened and it's only 1 episode. Can't wait for more.

Planning to watch Beyond evil and Times too in the weekend. I will check Vincenzo after checking the reviews of beanies !!!!

In Penthouse it looks like the body count will be even higher than last season. It's hard to find anyone to like in that drama, but lots of people to totally hate.

Exactly!!! It's hard to root for anyone in this season so far. The body count is already increasing.

River Where the Moon Rises The 2 episodes were a long introduction and now I'm waiting for the real story to take place. Then, I will make my opinion about this drama. But I already know that I needed more KHN! He's so good as charismatic character.

Sunbae, Don’t Put on That Lipstick I like how the love story grows step by step, nothing is rushed, each character has the place to express his/her feelings. I need more scenes between Hyun-Seung and his niece, they're so adorable together.

L.U.C.A.: The Beginning I'm behind and I don't know if I will catch up...

Hello? It's Me! It's like Mary Me If You Dare but with the younger version instead of the older? I'm not convinced by any characters for now...

Sisyphus I'm curious about the story. The first 2 episodes didn't give a lot of elements.

Mr Queen I will miss our macho Queen.

I want to test :
Beyond Evil, Vincenzo and Not Yet 30

1. Mr queen - finished watching it. Agreed with quirkycase regarding the ending. Bong Hwan was the one the king fell in love with. The whole journey was a delight anyway so I was OK with the ending.
2. Run On - just a drama I watched while doing other things. I’m watching this for Im Shi Wan..love the whole low key vibe of the drama though.
3. The Uncanny Counter - It was a good thing that Jo Byung Gyu finally had his well deserved big break.
4. Sisyphus - watching this purely for Jo Seung Woo. So far so good.

Lovestruck in the City: I couldn't connect with the characters, but I enjoyed this show (especially PPLs 😂). It was fun, mindless and rather short watch.

River Where the Moon Rises: It's so beautiful! This is my first time live watching a historical drama, and I've never been this hyped for a sageuk before (sageuks are not exactly my cup of tea). KSH is fabulous with all her warrior princess glory, but I'm more impressed with JS because this is the first time that I properly connect with any of his characters.

Sisyphus: Wow! That's one hell of a premiere. This is my first time travel kdrama (so many firsts😅) and I have to say, I'm impressed. I'm willing to sink deep into this craziness and it's hilarious how beanies keep fussing over flirty CSW (he's so charming😍)

Looking forward to watch Vincenzo this weekend (not much of a fan, but kinda missed SJK oppa)

I've only managed to pick up Hello? It's Me! from the premiere week as it seemed the lightest and I what I was in the mood for.

Episode 1 was... a bit sloppy. Perhaps it might be a low budget issue but overall the episode felt very dated imo.

Pilots are always the weakest episode though and I'm glad I persisted with Episode 2 - Our heroines' interactions with one another are golden and they seem to have good chemistry, throw in the useless ML and the trio vibe really well.

Also, the last 5 minutes of EP 2 got it's little pincers in my heart - Choi Kang-Hee's promise to herself to keep the events of that night a secret from her younger self to spare her the pain and trauma she had already experienced?

Faaaaaaar out. Just stab me next time, it'd hurt less.

Not gonna lie though, I think the series would benefit a LOT from dropping the Anthony storyline - Which is kinda meta considering his current career issues XD

Hello. I'm new to this forum and KDrama.

"River Where the Moon Rises". I tuned in because I heard that Kang Ha-neul is in it (loved him in "When the Camellia Blooms", who didn't) but didn't get the memo that it was a cameo role. I'm familiar with the folktale and Ji Soo looks the part. Kim So-hyun looks like she did in that cameo in "Goblin", stunning. I'll stick around for 2 more episodes or for Lee Ji-hoon (loved him in Rookie Historian, hope this role isn't the same where he goes against paternal thinking), not really sure if this is for me.

"Mr. Queen". I'm half-way through. I love the idea of this show. Shin Hye-sun is just perfect.

"Sisyphus: The Myth". I loved SHS and Cho Seung-woo in Stranger, is why I tuned in here and above. Sci-fi is not my genre. I might stay tuned in to see more of Park Shin-hye to change my opinion of her in "The Heirs". And to see how/if the story and title tie in with the Greek myth.

Welcome to Drama Beans and to the wonderful world of k-drama watching!

Welcome! 🥳

Welcome!

Welcome to Dramabeans. There are a lot of great K-dramas. Shin Hye-sun is my favorite actress for a reason- you would see her as a completely different character in the wonderful THIRTY BUT SEVENTEEN and in an even more impressive performance in ANGEL'S LAST MISSION - where she made an enjoyable and watchable show out of a fundamentally flawed script.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Welcome 😊😊

Sunbae (She Would Never Know): Sweet and smooth and I always look forward to Monday and Tuesday evenings.

Sisyphus: So far liking it a lot though there's a clear risk of collapsing under the weight of its own complexity around Episode 13. Also, while the casual references to Tae-sul's womanising ("Just another paternity test, nothing to see here, moving right along") are amusing, they didn't sit well for me with the cheesiness of his chat-up lines in the plane. I hope that this is meant to show the shallowness of his character but I worry it shows the shallowness of the show.

River Where the Moon Rises: watched half an hour, then gave up. Obviously lots of buckle going to be swashed but I'm not in the mood right now, Kim So-hyun notwithstanding. Gonna prioritise other dramas for now but may come back to it after it's over.

Hello Me: Also half an hour, also nope, but I don't think I'll come back to this. As someone said, toilet humour.

In the background but will come back to: Sweet Combat (C-drama but I wanted to see what they made of the manhwa Girls of the Wild's), A Love So Beautiful (want to see what Korea makes of a Chinese story so will stick with it, the short episodes make this easy if somewhat soporific), My Roommate is a Detective (harmless C-drama, hoping to get more of Xiao Yan than they are providing, loved her in Legend of White Snake).

I didn't know they made Girls of the Wild's into a drama.

Nor did I, until about a week ago. I was thinking 'they could really make a drama out of that (if they fixed a few problems - it's basically gender-flipped Boys Over Flowers with a side of martial arts)' but before I shot my mouth about it googled around and found Sweet Combat. So far, it's a bit dull (one of the best things about GotW was the gallery of minor characters and they have lost that) but I'll stay with it.

Sunbae makes Mondays enjoyable :)

I'm of the opinion that Tae-sul's so-called womanizing is a contrivance and cover story on his part. He plays it up so that he doesn't have to deal with "stuff" in his life.

Hello beanies! Long time, considering I haven't been active on here. I doubt anyone missed me.

Yup, but hello all the same! 😀

Last year I watched only 2 kdramas: ANOTHER MISS OH HAE YOUNG & ITS OKAY NOT TO BE OKAY.

I was in a kdrama slump and nothing could grab my attention on keep my interest for long.

To cut the story short, MR QUEEN brought me back to watching and enjoying kdramas again!

I need to reiterate the fact that Shin Hye Sun and Kim Jung Hyun absolutely killed it and their chemistry was all shades of AMAZING. I mean I want moooore.

I didn't like that bong whan didn't get the guy in the end but what were we expecting? This is South Korea, and I don't think they were ever going to go “there” even if its the year 2021.

I'd like to think MR QUEEN ended with So bong and Cheoljong badassly walking in their Royal robes to defeat the bad guy and save joseon. Yup, it helps me sleep better at night.

I'm back to enjoying and raving over kdramas. Currently I'm watching:

THE UNCANNY COUNTER EP 1-3: there was so much hype on Twitter and Reddit about this I had to check out. And I absolutely love it.

SISYPHUS THE MYTH: I haven't watched Cho Seung Woo in anything but I like him here. I'm curious about the worlds: Is the hyung dead or nah? I have a feeling Bong seon is either working for the bad guys or he is going to die, because he so squishy and cute. He is too perfect 🌚

RIVER WHERE THE MOON RISES: I'm watching for Kim so Hyun,and I like Gorguryeo where there are kinda higher stakes, interesting villains and badass heroes...more blood shed and stuffs 🌚🙈

PENTHOUSE SEASON 1, EP 1-2: I couldn't get into it, and I love makjang🤷🏼‍♀️ I loved Sky Castle and couldn't stop raving about it for months. But penthouse kinda feels so ridiculous...and I have been spoiled tho. Should I pick up season 2? Thoughts, anyone?

2 DAYS & 1 NIGHT S4 EP 62: Seon ho winning the quiz by guessing and betting on bang pd was hilarious. Bang pd Vs Moon Seyoon got me cackling, I trusted the PD to always stay ahead of the 6 idiots no matter how they tease that the know all her tricks and sops. Dinseon cat-dog moment was GOLD. hehehe, the editors deserve a raise. Ravi enlisting soon is making me anxious, I don't want anyone to leave or an additional member. I like the members chemistry as it is😩

💗 This one for welcoming you back and 💗 this one for Baby Kim Seon-ho. I was in a slump so bad that I still haven’t watched the recent eps of 2D1N.

Thanks! 😊 Oh, its a bad slump indeed because I spend my days looking forward to the next episode and rewatching previous ones when I can find time( I always find a witty comeback I missed by the way).

I hope you're able to get out of the slump asap and watch team yb help Jongmin wear his sagging pants! 😅

Thanks! 😊

I just binged Penthouse Season 1 and it was a satisfying, wild ride. I love Sky Castle too, but other than the rich parents, rich kids theme, it is not comparable. Penthouse is more on the level of Game of Thrones, it uses shocking plot twists to keep viewers engaged. It was pretty brutal the first few episodes, but this being K-drama, in later episodes, they tone down the brutality by taking more of a dark comedy tone. Excellent directing, top notch acting, makes this drama a standout. Unfortunately the younger cast were a weakness, there was some cringe-y acting there that made me press FF.

Now I'm off to savour the Season 2.

Started Mr. Queen- binged 6 episodes in 2 days. I already looked at all the spoilets but still its so funny and addicting. Now I'm controlling myself till I finish the work I missed for this. Bong-hwan is quick on the uptake, and knows his history, and also thanks to his IDGAF attitude hes surviving so well, I love that! The story moves quickly, the coining of terms from time to time and the brilliant comedy scenes- there are too many to list! Also the two confrontation scenes between the King and Queen so far were really good. Choi Jin-hyuk's voiceovers and scenes too, wish he could be there throughout. I also love that Bong Hwana OST!

Love Scene Number #42- I disliked it. The main couple just got manipulated by the other couple, I don't know why the husband didn't clarify his relationship properly to the wife. I don't see how they went back to normal so easily after what happened.

I loved Mr. Queen start to finish. It was the story of a man trapped in a woman's body, with a positive affect on those around him. For me the ending was just right, because he wasn't stuck in her body for ever.

River Where the Moon Rises: 7.5 Day 1 - Even the best cast can't totally make up for an uninspired script. Day 2 was better. Girl playing her own mother reminded me of Alice :(

Sisyphus: The Myth: 8.5 Day 1 - liked the customer service line & bananas. Day 2 - now we know why S.K. has such a high suicide rate. Meanwhile, time travel ruins everything? Secret time-travel overlords? Like Alice?? Only better????
So, is it Alice remembrance week? Cringe.

L.U.C.A: The Beginning: 8.5 Everybody: lightning never strikes twice. Ji-O: 🌩⚡ 🌩⚡ 🌩⚡ 🌩⚡ 🌩⚡.... ♾

Mr. Queen: 9.0 They actually managed to wrap up some loose ends in the finale and do some happy-ever-aftering without making it drag.

Mr. Queen: The Bamboo Forest: 6.0 Mostly harmless.

Hello Me: 6.0001

Penthouse 2: 2.1 I'd rather watch serial killers than rich people being jerks.

Beyond Evil: 6.5

Peninsula: 6.0 For a zombie movie filmed in 2019 it had an astoundingly prophetic beginning, complete with a passenger ship being diverted because of the virus (remember this time last year?). The ending was sort of sappy/satisfying/predictable. HOWEVER, much of the middle veered far into Road Warrior / Mad Max territory. Not really a worthy sequel to Train to Busan. And that teen-age driver... WATCH OUT when she's old enough to get her license.

River - the scriptwriter also wrote Dr.Jin 😀

Penthouse 2: 2.1 I'd rather watch serial killers than rich people being jerks.

You made me laugh so hard I was wheezing.😂

HIKARU NO GO (Mandarin)-- This is that perfect meal that satisfies your tastebuds and leaves you feeling happily full. I finished this perfectly satisfying drama with gratitude for stumbling upon it and @pickleddragon for giving me the final push to watch it. I do not have the eloquence to do this drama justice (go checkout the reviews).

KING OF MASKED SINGER--this is how my family and I bond. I have adjusted to the switch to 21 panelist judges due to COVID measures, but I have not adjusted to the addition of the steel guitar to the house band. I am tempted to break up and my heart is broken.

A LITTLE THING CALLED FIRST LOVE (Mandarin)--Rewatch. A cute, innocent love story that shows rather than tells. Sure, I roll my eyes at certain PPL and cringe at beauty standards (you know what I am talking about it you watch it), but the story overcomes these quibbles. And the ML is refreshingly supportive and encouraging of our dear Miao Miao and finds her endlessly adorable while appreciating her potential. They have a cute chemistry together.

TRUE BEAUTY--I found this to be surprisingly wonderful and full of heart. Brava to Moon Ga Young and the rest of the team.

As of this weekend, I'll be watching 7 dramas...so while waiting for Saturday's 4 to stream, I watched Ok, Madam on Viki last night. Many veteran actors and show gave me belly laughs. A fun watch!

My wife absolutely loves RIVER WHERE THE MOON RISES. We are two episodes in and her take is “This is the best, ever”. This is a special show and promises to be great indeed: Great writing, great cinematography and great acting. I hope that promise is kept to the end. I also hope that we will see more Pre-Joseon Sageuks in the future.

Watching RIVER WHERE THE MOON RISES somehow caused my wife to stumble upon THE GREAT DOCTOR, which has her mesmerized.

Our other favorite show right now is SHE WILL NEVER KNOW (aka SUNBAE, DON’T PUT ON THAT LIPSTICK). There were major plot developments this week and our new couple will have to navigate some tough situations.

After a course on the history of India our family is now more halfway through a course on the British in India. My wife and I continue to watch a course on the cultural history of Japan. We particularly enjoyed the lesson on Japanese gardens.

Our family has also really enjoyed the SYMPHONY’S ROMANCE (the mainland Chinese re-make of NODAME CANTABILE)- and now we only have 1 episodes left. And we are also enjoying the older LOVE AND DESTINY- a wonderful fantasy drama. We are up to episode 24 now..

My wife finished the Chinese costume drama THE WORLD OF FANTASY and continues to love THE REBEL PRINCESS which is absolutely top-notch. She also really liked THE BLESSED GIRL, which has just completed its broadcast and especially A GIRL LIKE ME.

Sadly, the Chinese rom-com MY LITTLE HAPPINESS came to an end this week. It is a pity that it could not go longer but the ending was just lovely. We need more light and fluffy shows and I am hoping that LOVE UNEXPECTED will fill that bill. This is where I have t confess that I have a real weakness for female body guards.

So now is the moment for me to express my frustration with the seventeenth and final (I hope) episode of LOVESTRUCK IN THE CITY. I shall omit the many expressions learned in my Naval days which would have more succinctly captured my thoughts and feelings. Instead I will simply asked a question: Who thought it was a good idea to start a new love story in the final (half length) episode of this show? It is a Netflix show so maybe someone assumed that there would be a Season 2? It looks like it could be a lovely story but will anyone watch it after the disjoined and badly paced season 1?

I forgot to mention that we have also started the Chinese Costume Drama MY HEROIC HUSBAND- which is actually a comedy.

My Heroic Husband is an absolute delight. The production company has skirted around time travel censorship by making the ML a fictional character. This actually allows him to be spectacularly competent, progressive and charming. I'm 12 episodes in and the laughs keep coming.

I stepped away from Love Unexpected, which started with an uproariously funny take on body swapping. Regrettably characters grow more stupid and unnecessary love geometries gum up the works. I confess that the charming fantasy elements don't extend to my believing women with matchstick limbs can be competitive MMA fighters—even straw weight.

I'm quite behind on Rebel Princess but I still adore it. It's a savory meal with delicious villains (esp. Prime Minister Wang) and I continue to be enthralled by Zhou Yiwei's performance as Xiao Qi. In an industry that prizes youth, it's a joy to watch seasoned actors play complex central roles in a sumptuous production.

So censorship explains the "he's just a fictional character" set-up in MY HEROIC HUSBAND.

And I would be the first to admit that my female bodyguard in LOVE UNEXPECTED definitely does not look the part.

My wife loves REBEL PRINCESS so much she keeps on watching even when the subtitles have run out. At this rate she might end up actually learning Mandarin.

I've had those desperate moments where I watched whole episodes through my phone's Google Translate app. It's nuts but it works tolerably well. You hold your phone up to the subtitles, pause the video and wait for the translation. It's admittedly ridiculous to watch an hour-long show this way but very useful when wanting to translate shorter, juicy scenes. (Note: Google Translate is a huge battery suck so I'm usually plugged into my charger while using it.)

"Rebel Princess" will be over next week but the subs is pretty slow.
I'm slowly savoring "The Longest Day in Chang An."
The production value for both shows are top notch. My expectation for the 3 kingdom era is ruined.
I started "River" so that's 3 historical dramas from the same era. Totally unplanned but I'm loving it.
It's very interesting to follow the background events in history from both countries. A win win for me.

I need to finish The Longest Day too. Read a lot of Wikipedia during the broadcast and the discussion at MyDramaList was lively and educational.

Zhou Yiwei grew his hair long for Longest Day and Rebel Princess. Long hair really works for him. (For Rebel Princess, he's wearing a half-wig that melds perfectly with his natural hair. His natural hairline makes everything look so authentic. And shexy.)

@tsutsuloo

That's why I'm so slow to finish "The Longest Day." I'm doing research on the side and sometimes I get carried away with it.
I appreciate the hard work that they put into it so I'll do my part.

Zhou Yiwei is such a talented actor. I can't get enough of him lol.

I started Heroic Husband as well. Only managed 2 eps so far... and laughed a lot with the blood test 😁

Started Heroic Husband

Also watching Rebel Princess. It’s really well done even if it is long.

This has been a really slow week for me drama-wise but I managed to catch the first episode of RIVER WHERE THE MOON RISES and it totally surpassed any expectations I've might've had. Kim So-hyun is magnificent as both queen and assassin so far and there's s much pretty everywhere it takes my breath away. I'm grieving over not seeing the awesome general On Hyeop again. 😭

General On Hyeob might still show up every now and then cause KHN only finished filiming his parts this week.

Woo-hoo! Let him visit my screen weekly!

Haha okay maybe not thaaat often he's still just a cameo. 🤣

I can't believe it, Beanies: so many new shows I want to watch, and I dawdled the whole week without checking out a single one of them! I really want to have a look at Where the Moon Rises and Sisyphus and there's this another one with Esom coming up, Taxi Driver. I'm happy about all the shows with female leads taking charge of stuff, but somehow I feel like I need to finish up some dramas before I can commit to new ones.
Therefore, I've been meaning to watch the last 3 episodes of Mr Queen and Run On before I take up new ones. Kind of stuck on Mr Queen because I spoiled myself about the ending, but I'm def going to watch it.
And Run on is such a joy! I started watching it last weekend and can't get enough of it. Love the dialogues, love all the characters. The self-love theme wrapped up in prep for a half-marathon is close to my heart because running - together with drama watching and music- is THE thing I use to ease my mind and keep myself in track. When I was young and first left home, I was a Mijoo-style of a mess at looking after myself, and it took me years and a lot of learning from the friends I shared flat with to establish self-care routines like feeding properly, healthy sleeping habits and sports. Now that I'm an ahjumma those habits really paid off, specially when I needed to bounce off from a serious health crisis. So, kids, take my piece of hard won advice: look after yourselves, you'll feel instantly happier, and you never know when you're going to need that stamina 😉💚
I'm also hooked to Sunbae, I totally underestimated this drama when I watched the first episodes. Rowoon hit gold with this goofy, caring giant cinnamon role of a character, and all the characters actually have a lot more to them then what the first couple of episodes give away. Plus, I'm a sucker for well-dressed people, and I'm really appreciating the effort put into the urban looks in this, he!

I was happy to have so many premiers firing up this week as my Run On withdrawal faded, starting with River Where the Moon Rises, which I like watching. It's pretty, KSH and JS have solid chemistry, Kang Haneul was fabulous (well, duh), and I feel like this will be something I can have fun watching without emotional over-investment. I'm generally not big on sageuks, but I really liked Rookie Historian, so I appreciate a tough princess warrior taking the baton from brave and clever historian.

Sisyphus has me pretty much completely confused, though some of that started to ease in episode 2. I like it, though. It's got a fun weird and wacky vibe, and I don't feel like it's taking itself too seriously. The pacing feels good to me, and I'm excited for the leads to meet soon.

As for Vincenzo, honestly the first ep felt loooooong. Of the three, this is the one I'm probably most likely to drop. But Jun Yeo-bin adds flair, and she was hands-down my favorite in Be Melodramatic, so I'll stick around at least for tomorrow's episode to see if it can hook me. Otherwise, it's not like I don't have a to-watch list as long as the Mississippi waiting for me.

I hear you about Vincenzo. I'll probably watch tomorrow. I was anticipating a disaster, anyway. And besides... 20 episodes? Of Korean-Italian... I don't know if sweet Taecyeon can even mend this for me...

Wait, 20 episodes?! Wow, I really am not sure how they plan to kill that...expanse. Let's see how tomorrow goes - sometimes it takes an opening week for a drama to settle into the saddle.

I'll be curious to hear what you make of Song Joon-ki's Italian.

fill that expanse, I meant...fill it.

I didn't realize it was 20 episodes but The Fiery Priest had 20 and this is totally The Fiery Priest 2.0.

I’ve watched episode 1 and I liked it and I have to say SJK’s Italian is not that bad, which doesn’t mean it’s good for someone who’s lived his whole life in Italy, but not that bad, not that bad (better than his English, probably).
I only wished he used more his hands when speaking. Italian and Spanish do use our hands a lot when speaking, but anyway, I liked it. I just hope the episodes get shorter...

If the episodes get shorter, I might hold better. I really want to like this one.

Jun Yeo-bin was my favorite in Be Melodramatic too! Vincenzo wasn't on my radar but now I'm curious. How would you rate Park Joo Hyeong's Italian? (I so enjoy seeing multilingual actors. For example, German and Swiss Beanies were complementary of Hyun Bin's German in Crash Landing on You.)

My Italian is not nearly good enough to really pass judgement (I mostly filter it through French). He sounded a bit stilted to be honest (understandably - I don't think that SJK actually speaks Italian, does he?), but I think he acquits himself reasonably well. It would be easier to overlook that, I think, if we weren't meant to understand that he'd lived in Italy from childhood. I think @carmen or @eazal will be better judges than me.

And Jun Yeo-bin so far is great. She kind of explodes on the scene like a firecracker, and I think I could really like her character - I hope there's much more of her in tomorrow's episode.

SJK said in an interview he has never been in Italy and for now he was more scared by his Italian teacher than the PD :p