Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

missvictrix

Sell Your Haunted House: I only got to watch Episode 9 this week, but squee! As painful as the rift between Ji-ah and In-bum is, we know it’s a necessary evil. The glimmers of Ji-ah missing and relying on him made it worth it for me, and it’s also turning into just another reason to love the character of In-bum and how he’s just so thoughtful and understanding. I can’t wait for them to be on the same side again. In terms of the ghost story in this episode, ugh, it was kind of upsetting and awful, and yet I loved the woman’s bravery so much that I was pretty moved (making it the ghost story I found the most interesting). Anyway, the drama continues to be well-paced, and it’s definitely time for Ji-ah and In-bum to starting figuring out what really happened that night 20 years ago, and uncovering the lies (and liars) in their midst. Ships, full steam ahead!

selena

Mouse: Oh boy. This week’s episodes were…a lot, to say the least. Let’s have a moment of silence for Yo-han. His story was tragic enough to begin with, but I am beyond livid after learning about Han Seo-joon’s decision in the operating room. He’s an absolute monster.

Youth of May: Ughhh I’m not a fan of Myung-hee’s request at the end of episode four. I just need her and Hee-tae to be happy together forever, is that too much to ask?! I can’t quite decide how I feel about Soo-ryun, who’s always droning on about her own problems and drawing conclusions about Myung-hee’s feelings without actually stopping to listen. For once, I’d like Myung-hee to put her happiness before anyone else’s.

Move to Heaven: Only caught the first episode so far, but wow. I’m into it. This is going to tug at my heartstrings, but I’m more than ready for the waterworks. The production quality is great, and I especially appreciated the dynamic shots that set the show apart from most others.

Branwen

Currently recapping: Sell Your Haunted House

Beyond Evil: I coincidentally finished it the same day it won the Baeksang for best drama, and I can safely say that it lives up to the hype. Dark and deliciously angsty, it’s a character-driven thriller that got me genuinely emotionally invested in the leads as much as the twisting plot, as all the best dramas do. Shin Ha-kyun really was phenomenal, and the chemistry between him and Yeo Jin-goo made the show. Some of their scenes, particularly towards the end, were breathtakingly intense.

Navillera: A gentle gem of a drama. Ultimately I preferred the first half, but although I got much more angst than I bargained for, Navillera also more than delivered on the wholesome, feel-good front. I genuinely felt proud as I watched the characters overcome their personal obstacles and grow. One very small gripe: I wish Seong-gwan hadn’t gone back to surgery and had instead become a geriatric or palliative care specialist. I think it would have been fitting to see him realize that he could do as much good for people like his parents by caring for and supporting them in smaller ways every day, not just in the big, dramatic moments.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Lee Seung Gi is a way too good actor. I will never not shiver whenever I will see him on screen from now on. Hat's off to his acting on Mouse. I really hope he gets the awards. Who knew that adorable face could ever be that scary!

Even though Mouse won't end up being one of the great works that would get recommended from time to time, it's undeniably a great drama to showcase both Lee Seung-gi and Lee Hee-joon's acting. Lee Seung-gi played both the person who inflicts horror and the person who feels the horror of the truth very well.

Well said. I agree that the drama itself has some flaws specially the writing which feels a little dragged. They could have ended at 16 episodes with tight writing. But Lee Seung Gi's performance is awesome. It shows that he really put hard work into this.

I agree, I think he’s done really well in this. I was always going to watch the drama because I am somewhat biased 😅 but I’ve been really impressed.

So well expressed. I'll find it hard to shake off his scary face. I always remember him in his cameo in The Producers being so unremittingly a nice guy. He's thrown off any typecasting now. He's so talented.

Move to Heaven: Binged all 10 episodes and this might be the drama of the year for me. A beautifully moving look at death and who and what the deceased leave behind. I’m not a big crier but the tears started in Episode 1 and did not stop. Tang Joon-sang is an actor to watch with his sensitive portrayal of a young man with Asperger’s. I continue to be impressed by what Netflix is doing with their original dramas. More dramas like this please.

MINE: Basically a makjang fashion show. The cast is good but I’m a little tired of dramas focused on chaebols behaving badly. I’ll give the drama another week because of the Seo-hyun reveal, but I don’t especially trust the writer to handle it well.

Doom at Your Service: I don’t know how I feel about this one …. Maybe I just expected something different? I like PBY and SIG but the premiere week was kind of dark and depressing. I just want a drama where people smile and have fun. I suppose they are trying to keep it vague and mysterious on purpose, but the Doom stuff sounded like gibberish to me. Lee Soo-hyuk was the best part of both episodes.

Youth of May: This drama is quite good. If someone has to die I choose Soo-ryun though I don’t dislike her. I just like Myung-hee, Hee-tae and Soo-chan more.

Bossam: Steal the Fate: I really like Soo-kyung and how she’s adapting to her circumstances. While there are politics, I like that it mostly takes place out of the Palace. I know this is a sageuk but the latest episodes kind of reminded me of the old historical romances I used to read where a very proper lady goes West and runs into an outlaw …

Law School: Congressman Ko and his son make my blood boil. I knew Professor Yang would be the one coming through the courtroom doors, but it was still a good moment.

Mouse: Poor Yo-han. I kept expecting Detective Shin to be important somehow but apparently not. While this drama was too long and had its share of jump the shark moments, I do appreciate that the writer had the story all planned out, with details in early episodes being important later on. Unfortunately, the reveals were too dragged out, like with the baby switch twist this week. I think we all guessed that 10+ episodes ago. I also think Hong-ju’s arc could have been handled better, instead of having her mostly disappear for most of the second half.

Agree on Move to Heaven - I had my doubts about the premise, but after binging it until 4 AM, it is one of the years' best. Wondering if there will be a 2nd season.

I would love one but it feels pretty complete. There are openings for one though, especially with the somewhat procedural aspect.

Thank you for letting me know it’s a complete story. I’ve been holding off watching this because I was afraid it’s one of Netflix notorious multi season series. Glad that’s not the case.

I get you. I would say it's safe to watch. There's certainly room and openings for another but you won't be left hanging if there is not.

Agree that it can go both ways. But if there's no season 2, I hope to see Lee Je Hoon and Sooyoung in another drama.

There is plenty of room for the second one. Madam Jung escaped, there was the new girl who appeared at the end and seemed to have got Geu-Ru smitten - how would that work for Na-Mu? There must be plenty of stories to tell about people leaving so much behind (we have had only just a few stories in these 10 episodes. Plus I would really love to see how Sang-Gu and Geu-Ru's relationship evolves. Also, Netflix has a history of adding more seasons to KDramas they produce (I am yet to be fully happy with that because I am afraid they may become greedy and not stop at 1 or 2 more and the toooooooo many seasons made me quit American shows.
All in all, what I would call for now the first season is a really great one - good enough for my better half who watched with me only one more KDrama to watch this, too.

I have bawled my eyes out both the first time when I watched it and now when I am watching it with my better half. There has been only one more show in my whole life that made me cry so much - 1 Litre of tears - the Japanese drama and film alike. If 1 Litre made me think seriously about my life and made me live my life the fullest I can Move to Heaven made me think seriously about what do I leave after me when I die - and you could see in the drama that it's not just material things, although they are the medium that tells the story.

On 3rd August this year, I'll celebrate 10 years of KDrama. JDramas came only sporadically and as a consequence of me watching KDramas. When I started it, I wouldn't have thought that there could be a TV show whatsoever to make me rethink my life so profoundly. TV and films used to be just entertainment.

Mouse - I was expecting Detective Shin’s character to be something as well, but I guess not? Unless they’re planning to bust out a big twist in the final episode. I haven’t felt the drama was too long but I do think some of the pacing was a bit unbalanced and some reveals could have come earlier/some characters filled out more. The romance idea between Hong Joo and Moo Chi kind of disappeared completely (admittedly hard to sustain when he shot her boyfriend because he thought he was a psychopathic serial killer).

Doom at your service. I liked the premiere a lot. I like the tone, which apparently is light but hidden so much darkness. Our FL is a woman with a terminal desease who really doesn’t care about it. God is also a terminal girl in her early twenties who is about to die (again). I want to see how all this darkness turns into hope.

I haven’t been able to watch Youth of May but I’m planning to do it during the weekend.

Oh, Master!. Don’t watch. Such a waste of everything. I’m not really mad at the drama, I’m just totally indifferent. But don’t watch. Even if you are tempted. It’s a stupid nonsense. I’m not trusting this writer anymore. A rom-com? My foot!

Sell your haunted house continues to be my happy pill. I love how everything is so coherent about the drama. Things don’t happen just because or because plot needs to advance. It’s been a while since watching a drama was so satisfying. I’m absolutely in love with JiAh and I’m not surprised at all InBum also is, although he probably doesn’t know yet. This drama deals with cliffhangers so well! Wednesday is too far away!

So I married an antifan is still a guilty pleasure. I don’t expect much from it but to have a good time and that’s what I get.

Beyond Evil I keep being fooled by the drama. No wonder it won Baeksang for best script. It is that good.

Dark Hole. Nothing happened on episode 3 (apart from that Save Me sort of spin off), and episode 4 started with people being unreasonable and yelling around just because in a very dramaland style I hate. I’m really sorry to say goodbye to LJH, but here is were our paths part until the next drama.

Only four episodes left of my rewatch of Just between lovers. I don’t really want to let go.

Don't worry Junho will be back on your screen soon. Also congrats for making it through Oh, Master, way to earn a bean.

He will be next week on I live alone, by the way!!

I fell by the wayside on OH MASTER. I hate bad writing and this was badly written, such a waste of both Nana and LMK, who are tow of my favorite actors.

I'm surprised, but I really like Bossam. As a non-saguk person I like that we focus on our newly formed family and that the politics is so far mainly presented through the Princess and the importance and significance of her fake death (so sad (but probably true to life) that the King sees the Princess more as means to get rid of his enemy than his daughter). I also like the music and the breathtaking contemplative shots in the nature. And... I didn't know that an inspection of a hurt sole can be so loaded... I was blushing...

Doom - I need to adjust. It is way darker and sadder than I expected. And Myeolmang looked extremely lonely...

Extremely lonely looked also Jia in Daebak Realty when she operated without Inbum. So heartbreaking when she imagined him next to her... she lost someone who could finally understand her, who could see and share her pains and struggles... I'm happy they made up and are back together.

Youth of May - Lee Dohyun and Go Minshi don't cease to impress me... but... I'm not sure I'm strong enough for all that heartbreak and tragedy coming... I may chicken out...

As my prime shows are currently on a heavier side (first episode of Move to Heaven included), I occasionally balance it with I Married an Anti-fan... or even She is the One 🙈.

She is the One is ridiculous. But I laugh so hard during each episode.

Yes, I watch it for the laughs 😀

Me too! I'm mostly FF-ing though since I don't want to spend THAT much time on a ML with caveman behavior and a FL who is over-the-top naive, but I've got to admit that the ridiculousness is what makes it watchable. I LOL like crazy every time the ML comes to her in the dark as her intimidating older fiance with the stilted voice, and it took like 10 episodes of oddly-timed power outages for her to even get the slightest bit suspicious.

Last year, I checked out, but did not really watch the writer's last drama - Love in Time. Same schtick, but upping the ridiculousness level makes She Is the One a lot more palatable.

The interactions between the main leads are just so funny. And you're right, I FF so much else, basically everything to do with the other sister and that odd love triangle. The grandfather is also unbearably domineering so he gets the FF treatment.

I didn't last the distance with Love in Time, either.

I read your comment and started She is the One and it is cracking me the hell up.

These set ups are hilarious. Like the secretary giving Yue Yue bonuses for every little thing.... like using the bathroom. 😂

I think the humor can only work by playing off the ridiculousness of typical tropes, which makes the story set up boring but the small moments fantastic... like Yue Yue worrying she offended upper management only to find out the woman didn't know how to use her ID card to get through the gate. Pfft.

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

What I like about it is that you can tell they are playing into the ridiculousness but the payoff is in the comedy. I think the FL even broke the fourth wall at least once to question the obvious craziness.

The comedy doesn't peter out during the 'angst' arc either.

Completed
Oh! Master - What on earth was that ending? They didn't tell anyone he's dead?? If LMK and Nana had been less cute I might not have finished it .

Ongoing
Youth of May - The inevitability of the coming tragedy bleeds through everything in this show. For e.g., when they mentioned 13th for the ambulance move, I kept fearing it'd get rescheduled to the 18th. There's a melancholy to even the sweetest scenes. Also ugh to noble idiocy.

Mouse - Will watch last 3 episodes together next week.

Daebak Real Estate - Oh In Bum all dressed up for his 'date' was adorable ("I wanted to go with Black and White" "Are you playing baduk?" 😂). And what an ending. Very good set of episodes.

Law School - Makjang law school. Every week we're forced to watch more evil people doing ridiculously evil things with impunity. The assemblyman is so gross, it's hard to watch.

Taxi Driver - RIP to the only well-adjusted person in the show.

Bossam - Never has a splinter in a foot been more sexually charged than this.

New
Mine - Dropped after the first episode when I had to keep trying to convince myself to watch the second one. Might reevaluate later based on beanie feedback.

Doom at Your Service - Didn't blow my mind but I already really like the chemistry between SIG and PBY. Their characters feel like they just GET each other at a fundamental level.

C-dramas
Binge-watched The Long Ballad. Engrossing tale especially for the 'villains' who were not really villainous.

Watching Octogenarians and the 90s, Miss Crow with Mr. Lizard and The Imperial Coroner.

Oh yes, baduk 😂😂😂

Regarding baduk, if you've noticed, in the scene right after that where they were talking about the exorcism of In-beom's uncle, the arrangement of the rock slabs made the ground look like a Go board, and the leads' clothing made them look like board pieces. Pretty clever but I was wondering if it's too subtle for comedy.

Ah I didn't notice that but I wouldn't be surprised if it was deliberate. This drama has a very nuanced visual style and detailed art direction.

I did not catch that either- and I am that rare westerner who was actually taught to play GO as a child. I need to go find my board sometime....

That’s very clever! I really like the visual style of this show.

Oh yes, splinter🥰

Doom at Your Service (Episode 1-2) - Mood: C+
The terminal illness trope is part of the synopsis and the trigger of the entire story, so I’m not going to hold that against the narrative, but did we really need all the unluckiness in the world with financial, romance, career (she shouldn’t have gone to the cafe if she was on the clock) and family issues on top of facing sexism, harassment and stormy weather for a setup, with a Truck of Doom to boot? It’s a severe contrast opposite Doom’s character who had a nice introduction to his motivations! I do wonder though if there’s a need for cohabitation when Doom should be able teleport to her at will?

Law School (Episode 9) - Mood: C-
My mind was racing with all sorts of possibilities about why Seung Jae stealing the computer was Professor Kim’s fault: the reveal this week was so underwhelming that I cringed while watching the episode. Add to that selfish people (Sol B, Seung Jae and that sexist student!): it’s no wonder my interest for this show sank like a stone. The preview also has yet another trope with the ‘snatching evidence on a motorcycle’ scene: that’ll be downright depressing to watch next week. I did however like the continued development of the Joon Hwi & Ji Ho pairing: hopefully, Ji Ho doesn’t take Sol B’s offer!

Mouse (Episode 18-19) - Mood: C-
It’s a makjang festival as plot points get thrown at all of us: my personal three picks would be 1) The baby swap (and of course let’s not forget the baby kidnapping this week), 2) Moo Chi remembering Yo Han’s dying words perfectly (wasn’t this also last week’s cliffhanger where Ba Reum also did the same thing?), 3) Bong Yi getting attacked once again (this girl repeated what she did during the Kang Duk Soo case: tell no one, bring a knife, become a victim, sigh). The show is wrapping up next week: all I can pray is that there aren’t any plot holes (girl who squashed mouse?) or absurd endings.

Youth of May (Episode 3-4) - Mood: C
As feared, Soo Ryeon probably guilt-tripped Myung Hee into saying what she said during the cliffhanger, which doesn’t really sit well with me given that this whole spectacle started because of her deceit. Soo Chan as a character is ok now but I wonder what he’ll be like when he realises that his brother-in-law has feelings for his ideal type. I don’t appreciate the random crush the boarding house girl had on Hee Tae or his trauma story, but it’s interesting to see Jung Tae stand up for Myung Soo and bond with him afterwards. Sadly, their friendship looks to be doomed just like their elder siblings.

Dark Hole (Episode 3-4) - Mood: C-, Yet another serial killer? But why? Wasn’t the shaman/principal enough?
Taxi Driver (Episode 9-10) - Mood: D+, It’s nice seeing all the disguises but can we move on with the main plot?

Sell Your Haunted House: Didn’t have enough time to watch it, will catch up next week!
Mine: Dropped, I can’t stomach all the rich...

Bong-yi *facepalm* I really can't stand her.

I predict there will be an absurd ending, and I'm sort of excited for it since I know my sane mind can never come up with anything like it.

OMG she is a frustrating bundle of bad decisions. My sister and I message each other while watching and whenever she shows up our text chain is basically “No! What are you doing?!”

JAPAN -

Rikokatsu - 7/10 parents going for divorce and main couple is resisting it. heh. The growth of couple could have been more realistic. Comedy's tempo needed to be more too. Heck, there is least of huour out there. Some manga expressions would have done wonder. Couple's growth is also underwhelming. I want more genuine, not this what we have seen before too many a times. Still show is enjoyable.

There is a Reason for Love to Dress UP - 8/10 - This show has good budget for a jdrama. Director has done really good job - I wanted more in 1st episode but Director has given it back in the form of tourist advertisement in episode 03. Writer surely lives in 2021 and trying to make a romantic show of 2021 but also keeping features of earlier romance time too. Characters are moving ahead naturally and very smoothly. This one i'm enjoying too.

Life's story Starts - 8/10 - Trailer aka teaser - aka there was nothing except our 5 main actors aka characters showing their fae and that also became the poster. heh. But all the colourful entry made you think show gonna be a bit different - on crazy side a bit. But the show isn't. 1st strike by the show. It turns out to be a common man's drama. struggling main characters, reaching their 30's and yet have not much bank balance or career to show - do they have dreams!!?
I'm enjoying this show of these 5 characters that are out now to decisions that change their life in near future significantly.
Highly enjoyable. Comedy could have been better, but that's the point the ensemble of these 3 guys isn't achieving any good outcome. Heroine the way attached to the this small group of noodle-boys makes for interesting watch.

Tv dramas look far too good in trailers and previews and when you watch the episode everything looks too stretched and dragged. Well, trailers+previews are made to grab the attention so can understand.

Kdrama -

Cosplay School - 6/10 Our handsome hero with manly voice can do anything and everything. From start i'm not talking about all the cliches being utilised b/c a kdrama without them is not your typical kdrama. Still, among all the korean shows aired this year - this show is my 3rd korean show to go at.
On credibility factor alone this show beats all the other action korean trash. Cliches can't go against this show as everyone has this thing in common.

Vigilante Justice - 6/10 - This show is far better than some garbage mafia. Source takes information from real life events and the created a comic and that turns out well in a tv drama. All the action and everything around is trash but atleast those events are real and get good screentime in this fictional drama.

Stale Soup - 3/10 - 85 episodes watched - This daily is garbage and made to increase your blood pressure. Everyone's dumb in this drama.

Toons disservice - 3/10 - Garbage - 1 word to sum up it all.

anti-fan service - 3/10 - garbage - its 2021 writer and broadcaster.

Harpy sisters - 6/10 - are not harpy anymore so need to change the name. That slap show last week. heh. Romance is fast and cranky - Lots in this show not makes for viewing but then this absurd writing+direction makes for this absurd watch.

Cosplay School - very appropriate choice of alternate title!

Stale Soup - you’re still watching this? Do you drop dramas, or do you watch to the end once you start?

Harpy Sisters becomes ...?

I had used the word in talk and thought it suits this show well. If we have to take cliches in consideration then show really is cosplaying earlier ones.

I don't drop shows(just move onto new ones) and that's how i have completed more kdramas than jdramas and that's why i'm stuck with stale soup though i did try to move onto Be my Dream family but instead flatly moved ahead with this trash. Technically its a drop.
Harpy sisters suited for 1st 3-4 weeks but now it really doesn't suit the state of sisters so need to reflect what they become now.

Renai Mangaka - 7/10 - I never though i'll like this typical romance cliche but heroine really is carrying this foolish show. Actress is good at comedy and i think i have seen her in few live-variety shows.

@screentime - which takahata mitsuki's black and white media you talked about several months ago - i still haven't found it.

@oldlawyer - since you talked a about jdramas having raunchy stuff then you must try Naked Director and its 2nd season is airing on netflix too.

Husband Vs. Wife - to Husband with Wife to Husband saving family to husband hiding from wife - 6.5/10 -

Husband aka Hero is carrying the whole show - He has just too much screentime and too much to do when not much is in his shands. If he became the boss of NIS, he would have been ruling over the korean kingdom. That's how muchs cale of power is unbalanced in the whole show. This show now has turned into your typical korean action corruption drama. Writer had to challenge it but naah writer played it secure. Afterall, its a job and writer has to earn the livelihood. Predicable things are happening and things have slowed down quite a but. This week is good as writer acts like a hot balloon with trick of presidents office being attacked in 1st week. Villains looks weak and fool with all the toys they are playing with.

NAKED DIRECTOR- got it. The Japanese are no prudes...

But nor are they into cheap exploitation. It is just a different perspective.

If you are expanding your jdrama list, there are a few good shows on the edges.

However, with J having different constraints and when theme/budget are not a strong guide on quality...you just have to jump in before you can tell.

@catocat
Ep03 - Cold Case season 3.

The B&W shot construction in this episode is stunning - some of the best I have seen in a weekly drama. It very clearly draws on B&W of old Japanese films which is different to B&W of US or European films. The DP and director also appear to have deliberately used the reality of body textures as a visual cue for past time-line vs the plumped super-smooth vision of current stars.

I know this show is not usually your thing but if you can get through the first minute of the episode you will be fine. This is a funny show in some ways but wow...it knows where to spend its budget. The production of the historical scenes is drop dead gorgeous and the current day scenes are so simple. Detectives with photocopies in an empty white office.

P.S. Kuroki Haru is in ep7, but I think it is less to your taste. Suruga Taro is chilling as the abusive husband with such little screen time he infuses that entire episode with a sense of dread.

Youth of May: The heartbreak has already started. It honestly looks like our couple will never get together or know any happiness. This thing with the marriage is unfortunate. Hee Tae’s father is a bit of a force of nature, dangerous even in his subservience. He is probably going to be partially responsible for the death. Did Romeo and Juliet teach nobody anything? Or since this is a kdrama, let’s use a Korean reference Yun Sim Deok. Star-crossed lovers are not good for anyone involved.

Doom: It is SIG so I will watch regardless. Doom is interesting because he is just a being that based on the lore they have given us, exists because of humans. There is a beanie theory that he used to be human, which unfortunately is probably the case. Everything he does makes sense to me as the entity Doom because he is Doom. The drama seems to be defining doom pretty specifically. His miasma and personality are down because his very existence causes doom. At the same time, it makes sense that he used to be human because he is tired of being doom-like. An being who was Doom wouldn’t get tired of being itself. That was convoluted, but that is my feeling on it. As for Tak Dong Kyung, I only had one question, why did she keep thinking he was American. What about his demeanor made him so, usually I get the references, but not this time. I also love that Park Bo Young is being treated as an adult in this drama, another beanie mentioned this before, but her cuteness isn’t a factor. I think it helps ground her character as a fully fleshed individual rather than a vessel for cuteness. I look forward to the rest of this drama.

Sell Your Haunted House: That was a quick resolution. I like that though. I appreciate the fact that the show doesn’t dwell and moves on. Now that Ji Ah and In Bum are back to working together the main arc is moving forward. We now know her Mama is attached to her. Also, I assume Hwa Jung is fine, so I won’t dwell on the timbers of doom. Hopefully, in the next episode we find out why her Mama is attached to her. Also wasn’t a fan of the last case. Soo Jung’s trauma and the quick recovery.,

Law School: I don’t know what is happening in this show. However, Sol A better get to keep her grade, commas are important. She is also still my favorite. As for the case of the ain’t s%^t boyfriend, I hope the professor buries him for being a trash person who deserved his head injury. Where is Taxi driver when you need him, gratuitous, unnecessary violence would be good here. (ha, just kidding).

"why did she keep thinking he was American" - One time it was because he left footprints in the house i.e. he didn't take off his shoes.

Of course, plenty of Americans do have people take off their shoes though I personally just do it seasonally.

That was one I actually got, but I wasnt sure, so good to know.. I dont ever wear shoes in the house and I am an American.

Me too.

It just occurred to me, reading your comment, what if Doom's end game is to get someone to swap with him????

Hmmmmm, that is interesting, would he swap with someone else to become human or just to cease his weary existence? The show is super dark so that would follow the theme.

This is out on a limb, but what if she becomes Doom and he is freed?

Ohh, yes that would be interesting. Her death wouldn't be death but becoming Doom. Woof, that is a hell of a theory friend and I kind of like it.

Thank you, friend!! Ep 3: Things are taking an interesting turn in that direction, but the twist I didn't see coming was that she had her own game plan.

OH MASTER (Ep 15-16): The series did not disappoint. It was terrible to the end. The show went from cruelty to an incoherent ending. The utterly stupid happy ending OTP fake out was unnecessary, as well as all the secondary characters simplistic tween crush love lines. But Joo-in was just as naive, juvenile and clueless as the rest. After all his mean torment, her nanosecond acceptance of him as her lover showed she had no pride, self-esteem or self-reliance in relationships. And what was the lesson bequeathed by Bi-soo to Joo-in? That you will become a sad and lonely woman pining for your lost love for the rest of your life like his own mother?

What a train wreck. The first two episodes had the promise of a cute, simple “odd couple” under one roof rom-com. My initial vibe was that Joo-in character could have been based upon a real or acomposite of K-drama actresses’ career conflicts with dating in private and public (and how it affects her “brand.”). That could have been an interesting avenue to explore especially with how agencies deal with their top stars. But no, it was a trope filled dumpster fire. It was like the TOD came out of our screens to run the viewers over again and again for the last 7 weeks. The show did not need an unexplainable fantasy death story line (which was so bad I still wonder what happened to Bi-soo’s human body after the accident; his 49 day body had to be existential since it was metaphysical when he and his clothes vanished in thin air,) The show could have been fine if it just focused in on the two leads. But the relationship and love triangle were dull. She had a very cardboard cut-out character; flat emotional scale and no depth. The last two episodes’ reliance on past clip show filler moments to try to express the characters’ feelings showed even the director gave up on this script. Clearly, this is has to be the frontrunner for worst show of the year.

DAEBAK REALTY (Ep. 9-10): The introduction of new types of ghosts and a new way to eliminate them keeps this show fresh and interesting. However, JiAh is starting to go beyond the normal to become a ghost detective to solve the human aftermath in her cases. I thought the tenant-client actor was stiff throughout her story so I liked they wrote her out quickly. It seems that we will be robbed of Hwa-Jung’s backstory just when I was thinking she had a past relationship with Director Do (thinking about him as being the cause of her child’s death). We do learn an important fact that JiAh’s mother is not anchored to the realty building but attached directly to her daughter which adds another level of complication to a final resolution. The show is hitting on all cylinders

BOSSAM (Ep 3-4): Throughout history, the value of human life has been very low. Our “family on the run” cannot seem to get a break. Just as they are trying to settle in to a hard but moral life, they are being hunted down by three parties. The king using his daughter as bait to destroy a...

... political rival is bad enough. But the king’s son’s obsession to get the princess back is misguided and will back fire putting them all in deadly danger. I am starting to dislike Young Master’s quest to have the princess. Otherwise, this show has not disappointed in its story choices.

Variety:
HOUSE ON WHEELS 2: (Ep 6): For season 2, the producers have decided to shorten the time guests to about one episode or so. Probably to get more guests booked on the show. However, there is less time to get to know the guests. Oh Na Ra was fun and relaxed. The second guest, Jeon Hye Jin, was very quiet so we did not get to know her but the show had its funny moments with the cast cooking mistakes.

I couldn't agree more about Oh! Master

Doom at Your Service: Now I know where the Truck of Doom comes from. I feel the drama has already given some hints as to how it could end. I don't quite understand everything that is going on yet but that is the genre I guess.

Sell Your Haunted House: I am 3 episodes behind but am all in on the show. The gangster stuff is my least favorite aspect but since that is involved in the history of the characters, I guess I'm stuck with it til the end.

Bossam: This drama seems fresh but with a classic feel. The story is going to go into the palace now which makes me a bit sad if I have to start listening to a lot of "Chuuuuurnaaaah" stuff. Court politics has been kept to a minimum so far. One probably controversial opinion: while the kid is cute and I like him, I actually think they are overdoing it with his cutiepie-ness. I feel like kids in dramas get over-the-top cutie or OTT sassy etc.

Brit Box: Life on Mars - so I am one of those people who has never seen any of the variations of this show and am finally checking the original out. Enjoying it so far and respect the fact the creators stopped at 2 seasons.

The Korean version of Life on Mars is excellent. Probably one of my favourite shows ever. Highly recommended!

Life on Mars (BBC) is brilliant. Season 2 is my favourite.

Just started Season 2 today ;)

Don't forget to check out the sequel Ashes to Ashes. It's even better in my opinion.

Didn't realize there was a sequel. Thanks for the heads up.

You are welcome. I think not watching it, would mean you miss half the story and of course the ending.

I love Ashes to Ashes.

-Ongoing-
BOSSAM: STEALING FATE : Four episodes in, and it's every bit what I needed. It feels very much like a classic but the music and acting keeps it fresh. Yuri is a delightful surprise. Do join us in the Hangout thread if you're watching! https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/05/drama-hangout-bossam-steal-the-fate

FAITH Ep. 6: A rewatch in honour of @leetenant's gallant attempt to remain indifferent to Lee Min Ho. I'm still as annoyed as ever with the female lead but I love this drama ottoke?

-Completed-
THE LONG BALLAD: Thank you drama for reviving my faith in Cdramas. The climax was really at Episode 42, which I've rewatched too many times while waiting for subs (Haoyan fans know why). The rest was a wrapped up most of the side stories.

Faith: This is one of the few dramas that I will do a yearly re-watch albeit with some FF through evil people shenanigans. I am in the minority who loves the female lead. She was a smart but fickle woman in modern times and stayed that way in history until she and Choi both slowly changed due to their enduring love. I just can't get enough. I actually see similarities to what this same writer did in Healer. I mean the male leads in both shows are so similar in character. At least that is my memory...I've never re-watched Healer though it doesn't seem like a bad idea.

I know, I didn't want to spoil it for anyone. The female lead starts out brash and outright stupid in many cases, but she has a big mouth and a big heart and eventually comes through in my view.

The evil people shenanigans are making me laugh at lot this time. I did not remember that cockroach skin lotion 🤣

I still remember being so surprised there was a supernatural element beyond the time travel. There are various bad guys with various motivations and shifting loyalties through the drama which I loved but, yes, "evil people shenanigans" is a good way to describe it.

“ cockroach skin lotion “...????

How does that even come up? Just curious...

Only one way to find out ;)

Join usss

Hold firm @hebang.

LT I think LMH is handsome.
But I am indifferent to him, too.

He is as handsome as boring, I'm afraid.
I'll join you two in indifference.
You have to admit it's quite a thing that I'm indifferent to such a gorgeous (and boring) pretty boy.

LT is irresistibly indifferent.
Eaz is ................ indifferent.
M is magnanimously indifferent. (If it doesn't make sense, do tell me. I'll change.)

I recommend you be loudly and aggressively indifferent and maybe he'll start stalking you instead.

I'm benignly indifferent

Me too. I'm watching it for the first time. Thanks LT. It's something about his nose. It just doesn't work for me. LOL.

I think I would have liked The Long Ballad if I hadn't been such a fan of the original manhua, Cheng Ge Xing. Instead, the adaptation reinforced my current feeling of frustration with Chinese dramas in general because I feel some of the changes were an attempt to conform to a popular C-drama formula I neither like nor understand. There is clearly a large audience out there that likes the formula, which focuses exclusively on romance and romantic tropes and typically diminishes the female protagonist in some way so that she is childish, naïve, or ignorant enough to attract the male's paternalistic attention. Worst of all, any independent goals or interests the female has are ultimately subsumed by her desire to be with the male and perform her domestic duties. The Long Ballad would seem like a refreshing departure from this trend were it not for the creators' attempts to make the story more romantic and formulaic (in the early episodes, at least). I just wish the series was a more faithful adaptation, personally, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. On a positive note, I do like that C-dramas are trying to tell stories about intelligent female characters.

When I read a book and then watch the movie adaptation I will always say that the book is better, so I understand where you're coming from. However, I thought THE LONG BALLAD did not focus exclusively on romance or make the female protagonist lose independence at all. [Spoiler] In the end Changge refuses to go back to Chang'an for an easy life and does not agree to marry A'Sun until the final episode. The last scene in the whole drama is of Changge walking through the grasslands, and A'Sun on horseback somewhere else (it's kind of an open ending). At several points during the drama he says he wants to let her do what she wants. He never interferes and is supportive even when he doesn't understand her whole plan. In Leyan's case the romance happened hand in hand with her becoming more assertive and independent. The only formulaic couple was minor characters: Mimi Guli & Mu Jin, who did all the cutesy things and even got a kiss. Not that I cared. I thought Mimi Guli was the weakest character overall.

I should stress that I stopped watching the drama early on once I realized how different it was from the manhua in terms of characters, tone, storyline, and thematic focus. I agree that the romance is not a big focus, but much of the romance that exists in the drama has been added. Ashina Sun and Li Changge have expressed some romantic interest in each other towards the last chapters of the manhua, but their future together is uncertain. Li Changge is a very independent character, and they spend much of the story apart, traveling on separate paths that occasionally converge. They respect each other as brothers or comrades, but she doesn't depend on him and he doesn't have to save her. None of the side couples exist. Mimi kills herself after betraying Li Changge, and it's quite tragic. I don't remember her ever interacting with Mu Jin. Princess Yong An and Wei Shu Yu do not exist, and Hao Du is a minor character with no love story.

The Long Ballad had so many excellent points: the intelligent and assertive FL, the supportive ML, a lot of interesting history (Wikipedia is my friend) etc. However, it did kind of lose me after the parrot kiss and Mimi Guli was very aggravating. I didn't finish it just for the bean though (yes, I know, it doesn't bean-count) as there was still a lot to it, so overall I agree with you and would recommend it.

Faith is the first kdrama I ever watched, so I always have a soft spot for it.

Enjoying Bossam, but I keep thinking Cha Dol is going to get everyone killed. I know he's supposed to be endearing, but I kind of want to throw him in a bag sometimes so he'll stop running off to where he's not supposed to go.

Noooo. I love him. He's so cute and not grating at all.

I'm with you. He's enthusiastic and adorable.

Sell Your Haunted House: continues to be my top-watch for it's tight storytelling, even pace and, as always, the fabulous Jang Na-ra. This drama hits the spot every episode and is currently the only one I'm impatient for every week.

Oh! Master!: dipped back in momentarily for a few minutes and have never hated myself more. Don't watch this.

Move to Heaven: currently binging this with enthusiasm. As with many dramas about death, this one is really about life: its fragility, how vulnerable we are to its whims, and also the real wonder of it - and we how we can live many of them, if we are willing to listen and keep becoming. (And Sooyoung's cameo is delightful.)

So I Married the Anti-Fan: still pretty bad but still pretty much loving the ride. It's easy to watch, especially in light of some of the heavier stuff on tap these days.

Doom At Your Service: can't say I'm captivated, but it's intriguing enough to keep me hooked for another week. I saw it described somewhere as a cross between Goblin and Black Knight, and for the sake of viewers, I hope it leans waaaaay more toward the former.

I am liking SYHH, too!

Twinning for the winning!

*happy dances*

I'm struggling to finish River where the Moon Rises. I found that some scenes seem repetitive. Same with It's Okay to not be Okay. Don't get me wrong, it's good to look at, and the leads are good actors but I found the story over the top.

I'm enjoying Flower of Evil. Beyond Evil is phenomenal and I'm still savoring Be Melodramatic. I've put Taxi Driver on hold because I have to finish the others. It feels familiar because the mood seems like The Equalizer (80s version, USA) meets Batman (Alfred) with the staff from Criminal Minds.

I've also started watching the film The Call. The gal from Burning is in it and outshined Park Shin-hye. She's excellent in both movies. Is why I can see her winning the Best Actress (film) at the Baeksang.

FOE, BE, BM all brilliant.

FIGHT MY WAY COMPLETED: Completed this gem of a drama today just to share it here. Why was I so late to this? I kept ignoring it even though it showed up in every list of friends to lovers trope. I love loved the leads park seo joon and kim ji won just stole my hearts. And Oh My God the kisses and the skinship. Loved it so much. I was constant mess of butterflies in my stomach. They were so cute together and the plot is not just angst lite or fluffy. The struggle they went for their dreams was hard but satisfying. And I was pleasantly surpised by the second leads who were not a favourite with many. They were realistic going through problems as a long term relation couple. But their scenes were also very cute when they were in love. There were some things I did'nt love like the birth secret but it was okay. Definetely will be in top 5 couples.
Youth of May and Sell your Haunted House took a backseat this week because of FMW. Will catch up now. Really excited to get back into them both. Btw love Lee do hyun😘
Sunbae don't put on that lipstick Completed : Just wanted some light fluffy drama watched this last week. Enjoyed it but did'nt leave much impression on me. Even though objectively Ro woon was much more swoony here than extraordinary me I liked him much more there. Maybe I'm a closet high school romance fan. I actually was more interested in the other stories than the main leads. Not that they were not good but they were not that different. The sisters arcs were nice. I did'nt initially watch this as I did'nt want to watch a rom com along with run on. So picked it up now.

I love Fight My Way. Dong Man is possibly my favourite kdrama hero ever.

Yes he went right up the favourite heros list. Even Choi ae ra was very charming. Loved her.

Loved FMW so much. What a classic.

DOOM AT YOUR SERVICE! I mean, Park Bo-young is beautiful to look at, ans she's such a good actress, AND it's a fantasy drama, so I wan gonna watch anyway, but lemme tell you, whatever vibe Seo In-gook has going on: that amoral/wicked/antihero...whatever it is, is MAJORLY working for me. Hai....this is the happiest a drama has made me in a long time! Here's hoping it finishes as well at it has started.

DAEBAK REALTY is also still holding strong, and I look forward to the final half of this show.

Tried to watch MINE, but I couldn't do it. Everything was too long and drawn out for me. I just wanted them to get on with it. SO yeah, no. I may try pick it back up and see later.

On the CDRAMA front:
Started THE IMPERIAL CORONER and so far so good.

For JDORAMA - I still haven't gotten around to starting KOI WA DEEP NI.

I watched one episode of Koi wa Deep Ni, then started ep 2 like 3 times... and the dropped it... it just didn't work for me... I'm planning to continue with Kikazaru Koi(...) instead.

Youth of May It's a charming drama but the direction is a little too much for me.

Doom at Your Service It was an interesting beginning! I'm really curious! Will the deity change Doom's purpose and make him human? Will she let the FL live longer?

Sell Your Haunted House Two almost normal adults! They apologize, respect each other and are ready to find the truth even it's hurtful. I really like them together!

Law School It's entertaining.

Taxi Driver They're starting to ask themselves about their questionnable job.

Move To Heaven It's hard to not binge it but I want to take the time to watch it like they take the time for the dead.

Cdrama
Use For My Talent I'm watching it only for the actors Shen Yue and Jasper Liu. They're forming a great pairing! It's an adaptation of the Korean version and sadly they chose the same bad second lead role...

TV show
Kingdom The dance team made a mini sageuk about the King Yeonsangun. The performance was beautiful.

I started Talent (~10mins), but I guess I need more time to accept Jasper Liu's dubbed voice...

Yeah, it's why I never watch Cdrama. I hate dubbing! But it's Jasper Liu...

I love him a lot but not enough to watch a dubbed show. I'll go back to watching Before We Get Married in case I miss him.

Honestly, it's bearable. Not like some other dramas.

I have been thinking about starting it but the dubbing really puts me off.

Oh, I understand. The only reason I watch it is the actors.

Now that you mention it I think that it is the dubbed voice which explains my disappointment in Jasper's performance- which is still OK but I expect more from him. Why so many C-drama's do this is mystifying- and exasperating.

Shen Yue is a very fine and talented actress but she is trying to fill the shoes first occupied by Kim Yoo-jung- who is simply matchless. She is definitely not mailing it in and only suffers by the comparison.

I will definitely continue to watch USE FOR MY TALENT and do not want to discourage others from doing so. But the dubbing is definitely an irritant.

At least, I don't have the weird echo or beyond the grave feeling... For the actresses, they often chose cute voices, it's so annoying... It's why I rarely watch Cdramas but more Tdramas.

@kurama,
Right from the beginning I had decided MOVE TO HEAVEN will be a one episode a night drama.
I watched episode one last night and loved it. I anticipated Lee Je-hoon and Tang Jun-sang will give great performances and TJS hit a home run in episode one and we only got to see LJH at the tail end. I was really impressed with the performance of Ji Jin-hee as TJS’s father. (He was so good I was thinking something like I wonder how it would have been if he continued in the drama.)
Also I recently watched and loved NAVILLERA and see in the cast that at least two cast members from that drama are in MTH. In episode one we have already met Hong Seung-hee.

Oh, I forgot BOSSAM: STEAL THE FATE: I like the drama, but Bossam (or whatever his name is Ba wu..whatevs) is getting on my nerves. HE ruined the princess' life. He doesn't get to act all offended and self-righteous. And also, the kid is extremely annoying. I don't find him cute or precocious or pitiful.....just extremely annoying, and I really wish he wasn't in the plot at all. Ugghhh. But I am still watching, so yeah.

I also find the kid annoying. Sometimes there are really good reasons you don't just run into the palace.

Sell Your Haunted House: Glad to see their fight didn't get blown out of proportions. I also really like how In-bum and Ji-ah defer to each other's expertise. Their subtle interactions give me the fuzzies. Right now this is the show I look forward most to each week.

Mouse: This show is tedious and I increasingly hate everyone.

Taxi Driver: I haven't watched the latest episodes yet but I'm lowkey rooting for Esom on this show. Maybe I'm just frustrated by the lack of a story for her.

Bossam: Started watching this show because people said it's good. Gotta say, while I don't like sageuk as much, I'm surprisingly pleased with this. I would like more scandalous Court Lady Jo and that cute kid.

Doom at Your Service: Decided to check out the first few episodes before I make any decision about continuing. Still trying to figure out the show's mythology but I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. The material is quite dark despite the cheerful exterior.

Sell Your Haunted House: Binged all episodes this week and I am loving this drama. I had forgotten how good of an actress Jang Nara is. The woman is phenomenal. I want her all her make up products and clothes from this drama. I guess I have grown up, because I find the communication between In Bum and Ji Ah to be so swoony. It's goals really. They behave like mature adults and I love and want that. I'm not used to seeing Ahn Kil Kang as a villain. Every time I look at him, I see the gruff dad from Memorials. I'm waiting for them to recover the truth of what happened all those years ago.
Doom At Your Service: As much as I find Seo In Gook super hot in this drama and I adore PBY, this drama didn't click with me. I guess I will give it 2 more episodes before I make up my mind. I do like that the drama isn't overly maudlin. Also this was my first time hearing Lee Soo Hyuk's voice and boy was I surprised. It does not go with his face. Also for a second there I thought he had something stuck in his throat.
I read the the way Oh My Master ended and boy am I glad I dropped this drama at the right time.

I feel giddy thinking about how good Sell Your Haunted House is. At first I thought I might be overpraising the show because I'd shifted my attentions from the drek called Oh! Master. But no—Sell Your Haunted House truly is one of the best things in dramaland right now.

His voice surprised me too! In a good way but yes unexpected.

Taxi Driver: 7.5

Bossam: Steal the Fate: 6.0 If the mid-show doldrums are apparent mid-day-4, and it's 20 episodes? 😨 Also, commit suicide by jumping off a cliff into a RIVER? Has she never watched a kdrama?

So I Married an Anti-Fan: 4.0 It took me 4 days to get thru 11 minutes of day 4 before I dropped it.

Doom at Your Service: 8.5 Cigarette lighter. Shooting stars falling from the sky. Can they get to 100,000,000? Can they find ways to reference every kdrama we've ever seen?

Youth of May: 8.0

Sell Your Haunted House: 8.0

Law School: 8.0 The evilbullycorruptpolitician (in kdramaland that's all just one word) is predictableandnotfun, otherwise show is good.

Move to Heaven: 2.4 For those of us who don't like sad, the start was just slow and boring. Unless everyone else here praises it to the heavens, I'm moving on.

----

Faith: 👍 After the discussions this week I "had" to re-watch some highlights from days 1, 5, 12 & 24. 5 & 12 have rare examples of speaking English in 1300s Goryeo. And who can forget hearing "X-Man" in day 4? Also, see if you can spot the lead of Rebel Thief Who Stole the People in an early supporting role.

Oh! Master: 👎 Considering low ratings and the negative comments I've seen, I'm feeling pretty good about having dropped it after day 6.

FAITH got a thumbs up from Lord Cobol! That means a lot. I'm also in the middle of a rewatch of the first half. I'd forgotten it has everybody's favorite ahjumma from HEALER too.

I wonder if you'll like THE LEGEND by the same writer and PD of FAITH. It's one of their earlier sageuk.
I prefer their first sageuk, THE GREAT AMBITION.

Writer Song Ji Na and PD Kim Jong Hak were the dynamic duo back then with 2 back to back masterpieces EYES OF DAWN and SANDGLASS.

LC. Re BOSSAM. Did you notice that when Ba-woo entered the water to save Princess Soo-kyung he entered head first. All I can say is that was one hell of a dive, Olympic quality. Most of us (if we had the guts) probably would have jumped feet first off the cliff.

That head dive was filmed in a swimming pool because it was in the middle of winter 😊.
They were sprayed with a little water just enough to look wet when they filmed the river scene.

He did jump off the cliff feet first, and then the shot cut to him diving into the water. I spent quite a bit of time pondering the mid-air contortions he went through!

Incredible and with all that baggy clothing he was wearing.

I want to give a small shout out to the never-ending low-brow series 'Revolutionary Sisters' which nobody mentions (or respects) but I'm enjoying more than those high prestige failures we've been getting.
I've got to admire how well structured 'Sell You Haunted House' is. They know how to do 'ghost of the week' while keeping the larger plot alive.
For rewatching I'm halfway through last year's 'More than Friends'. I had forgotten how slow paced it was, but not in a bad way. It's the kdrama equivalent of a leisurely stroll through the park in the spring sunshine.

I'm not watching Revolutionary Sisters but it's worth noting that excellent trash has its place. I love excellent trash. High brow, low brow—it don't matter. Unfortunately, creating well-written, fully realized characters seems to be beyond the abilities of most shows.

I have given up on REVOLUTIONARY SISTERS for now. I too love good trash- but to me it just wasn't that good. There were simply too many plot holes and illogicalities. Perhaps I will look at it again after a while as I am a regular watcher of Weekenders.

Sell Your Haunted House : This show continues to be well paced and solid as ever. I liked how In-bum and Ji-ah came to an understanding about finding out what happened in past. I love interactions between Ji-ah and In-bum. How cute In-bum was when he thought Ji-ah asked him for a date?
Doom at your service: I think this show is trying too hard. Maybe I am expecting too much from the show.
Law School: Baddies are getting worse by each passing episode. I just want truck of doom to take out each and every one. I loved reveal about Kang Dan. I previously thought she was bit selfish but we got to know that she is as protective as Kang Sol A.
I think Kang Sol B should abandon her obsessive desire to become a judge. Plagiarism scandal is a smoking gun and everyone, even prosecutor is aware of that. Does she really think she will be successful judge with this kind of history? That is grade A blackmail material for criminals and lawyers if she really becomes one.
Taxi Driver: I am getting whiplash due to tonal shift between every episode. In one episode they could have killed dozens of police officer and a prosecutor and in second episode everything is upbeat.
Mine: I just want this chaebol family to explode. It would be spectacular if it happened.

In-bum preening in his white suit was beyond adorable. Considering that I'm a tomato sauce magnet, I can only look upon him with awe.

Or, in Korea, gochujang magnet. I’d swear there was none at the table, somehow, some ends up on me. Sigh.

It is coffee for me. Sigh.

Is anyone watching Undercover? Any views?

I am! ..... I have never watched the original series this show is based on, so I have no idea how it compares. But I'm really enjoying this show.

Great and thanks! Hope it will eventually be shown on a legal site ..... awaiting.

With KHJ and JJH teaming up again, it’d be hard to fail, right?

I watched the first 4 episodes and it's interesting so far. Also, I think Ji Jin-hee exudes hot dad energy in all the roles I've seen him, so that doesn't hurt.

I am. It’s solid! If you’re into the genre, I’d recommend it. I also haven’t seen the original but this seems like one of those shows that’s going to be underrated for sure.

It’s not spectacular at anything, but it’s worth a watch.

I cannot rave about Sell Your Haunted House enough. You get a compelling story about someone dying in place of another when trying to help, you get Jang Nara looking breathtakingly beautiful in a princess dress, you get an awesome truck of doom and a fantastic reversal that ensues and you also get super ghost mom at the end. Phenomenal.

That truck of doom truly took me by surprise.

Jang Na-ra was beautiful indeed but that scene really show just how good the writing and directing of this show is. The effect of that scene was magnified by the fact that at all other times we see her in black.

To be honest am watching Vincenzo bts even after it ended. Watching the #JeonKi crumbs. I am officially in love with the couple. Never been this hooked before. I can't move on. T____T

Have started watching Doom at your Service. I am loving the show. Seo-in-guk is charming as ever and our female lead is also actually good. Love the pairing and their scenes. Seems that there will be some very heartbreaking moments later at the end. I can feel some melancholy vibes from this drama. Not too cheery .

Welcome to the ChaCenzo/VinCha/JeonKi nation! I've been lurking around Twitter/IG/Tumblr everyday just to have fun with other shippers. I also found that The Swoon is on the same ship with us :D

OMG Same. I cannot move on.. They have such sizzling chemistry and they seem so comfortable with each other. And to that add the unmatchable sync between them onscreen and offscreen, together and separately. I just wish we can seem them in more projects or game shows and photoshoots. Need to seem them again onscreen .

I'm not sure what's going on but it seems like they're busy with photoshoots and interviews, it's just that they deliberately avoid being seen together. It's an odd situation if we consider the post-airing photoshoots/interviews they had with their previous co-stars. But if that helps nurturing their private relationship, I don't have any complaints hehe.

Mouse
Finally caught up! You could play Makjang bingo with this crime thriller.
Well, at least Lee Seunggi is great as per usual. I’m really happy to see him challenge himself with this type of role.

Lastly, Poor Yohan. What a cruel fate he had.

Youth of May
Episode 3 and 4 were my favs so far. However, I am apprehensive about what’s to come. We already have May 18 looming over these characters...why add frustrating love triangles in the mix? Sooryun is starting to frustrate me and I fear Soochan will also soon enough...

Doom at your Service
Love the leads but I wasn’t hooked by the premiere week. I had such a hard time connecting with the story and the fantasy elements. Nothing much happened also.

I like that Park Boyoung’s character can actually stand up for herself and I find her cynicism somewhat compelling. However, the contract and the wish thing was strangely hard to follow and I find it’s already being dragged out a bit too long.

I am intrigued by Lee Soohyuk’s character. Hopefully next week will start developing some side plots.

Ah, you're not the only one who's a little fuzzy on the details of the Doom At Your Service contract? Can Beanies please explain here? Otherwise, I'm enjoying the mix of gloom and dark humor.

The FL's cynicism alone is enough to keep me watching the next couple episodes. That and Mr. Doom himself. I'm a sucker for "Death takes a holiday" type of story lines.

The Deity as a suffering 20-year-old patient is also intriguing. Gives me Joan of Arcadia vibes, where God kept showing up as different people.

From what I understand
Park Boyoung’s character has to wish for the end of humanity before she dies (Seo Inguk’s wish that he can’t make himself).

In return, Seo Inguk’s character will grant her a wish of her own and take away the pain from her condition (so she won’t suffer at all physically during her remaining days).

However, if she fails to wish for ultimate doom by the time her 100 days are up, the person she cares the most about will die. It’s unclear if they will die along with her, or she’ll have to live on with the guilt (cursed miracle recovery)...

It was difficult to follow because there was a lot of somewhat meaningless back and forth and it was dragged for 2 episodes. Also, Park Boyoung was forced to semi-accept because of the truck of doom...which was a weird set up in my opinion. She couldn’t add her own conditions either, it was just Doom randomly adding conditions to try to persuade her. He was also stalking her a bit...Took me a while to realize she STILL hadn’t accepted or rejected his offer lol

(I was also watching the first episode with unrevised French subtitles, so maybe some of the things were lost in translation on my end)

Thanks. I hope we'll get more clarity next week. You know, some sort of contract that requires a thumbprint. ;D

Basically the contract is a big Macguffin. Wishing doom or the whole world OR your loved one dies has the same result for the love one, regardless. Its a distinction without a difference.

Ah yes! That’s it! It’s the fact that it is so clearly a Macguffin to force the main characters to interact that keeps me from getting invested in it!! Thank you!

Macguffin’s are useful to get the plot going (e.g. sending characters on a journey à la LotR). Usually, the audience doesn’t care much about them BUT you have to believe that the characters do. There needs to be some basic logic to them. This macguffin took 2 episodes to set up and in my opinion was stretched really thin. It’s all we have for plot so far...I really hope we’ll move on from it next week...

Fair point. I'm not even a lawyer so I don't know why I even care about the particulars of the contract. I guess all that matters is that they become attached at the hip and go on from there.

My basic assumption with Lee Seung gi dramas is that while they may not be great at least they won’t be terrible because he always seems to choose projects with interesting ideas.

Agree!!! Although his dramas are not always the best, he hasn’t disappointed me so far in his choice of projects. I watched everything he’s been in and enjoyed (at varying degrees) all of them.