Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

missvictrix

Mine: Week 2 of this drama confirmed everything we suspected about the [email protected] tutor, so I’m glad Hi-soo learned the truth and knows what’s going on. That being said, I can’t believe her “loving husband” is such a waste of a man to make out with his ex-lover in the middle of an art exhibition with his entire family there. Hmm, maybe that’s what’s not jiving for me with this drama — all the men are such scoundrels. There are no heroes in this story. (I can’t call N a hero, since I don’t trust him 100%, but also, I desperately need the subtle swoons coming from his storyline with the maid because it’s the only bit of niceness in this entire drama.)

Sell Your Haunted House: OMG that Episode 11 cliffhanger (how did I not watch Episode 12 yet)! I guess things have to get worse before our crew can win in the end? Come on, team!

quirkycase

Currently recapping: Doom at Your Service

Youth of May: Can’t everyone just let these two be happy? They’re so sweet and broken, and everyone seems determined to make their lives as terrible as possible. It looks like things are about to get way worse, though, and we’re only at the halfway point.

Sell Your Haunted House: I’ve been impatiently waiting for the full story about what happened during that fatal exorcism in the past, so I’m glad we’re finally getting some answers. They’ve teased it for so long that I hope it lives up to the buildup. Hopefully, we’ll get all the details next episode since I imagine the final weeks will focus on Ji-ah and In-bum dealing with the ramifications of it all.

Tags: , , ,

Doom at Your Service (Episode 3-4) - Mood: C
To be honest I can’t say I’m not dismayed by Doom turning out to be a demigod, placing him closer to a Man Wol rather than the Grim Reaper from Hotel Del Luna: that strongly implies that whatever path Doom takes is part of fate, as opposed to a story where he’s truly a depressed deity having an existential crisis and wanting out. I was hoping that it was a story about Doom and the female deity being yin and yang with Doom developing a greater appreciation of the philosophical nature of balance in the universe and understanding his role as a necessary vessel for the evil things he’s feeling depressed about.

The current plot (bleargh, childhood connection trope) indicates that there’s more melodrama waiting to be uncovered in the future and also foreshadows some cliche possibilities like him becoming a human during the end. As for the other three leads, I still don’t know what’s the point of the love triangle in the overall narrative: it just seems to me like an awkward side arc the writer added because there wasn’t enough material from the main one for 16 whole episodes. Unless it turns out that one of them is a demigod or a deity too? Any twist to make it non-filler is great!

Law School (Episode 10-11) - Mood: C
It’s kind of funny that Professor Yang became a witness to both father and son getting beaten up, but I do wonder if the show’s foreshadowing the fact that he’s also a witness to the initial murder or suicide and is trying to use Professor Seo to expose something? The way he used reverse psychology during the cliffhanger is pretty Machiavellian: Joon Hwi has certainly picked up the style from him. Ironically, both of them targetted Lee Man Ho, whose alibi is looking really shaky right now, though I have a feeling he’s the red herring being thrown at us. He definitely donated blood for some reason?

Mouse (Series review) - Mood progression: B+ / B / B / C+ / C / C / C- / C / C- / C- / C-
Of course it was a hidden recording that brought down Choi Young Shin: villains in dramas never ever check for devices when talking about sensitive stuff! For a show from Choi Ran whose infamously known for her crazy endings, there was surprisingly no last-minute upheavals and things pretty much went the way people had expected them (in my mind that epilogue didn’t exist). With that being said, I still see the whole show as a failure given the excessive dragging (specials made that feel worse) and that abortion got legalised in the end: huh, where’s the nuance between nature and nurture?

Sell Your Haunted House (Episode 9-12) - Mood: B- (9-12), It feels like the egg ghost is the final villain?
Youth of May (Episode 5-6) - Mood: C-, A kidnapping to start the 2nd half sounds terribly ominous.
Dark Hole (Episode 5-6) - Mood: D+, Simply mindless zombie action.
Taxi Driver (Episode 11-12) - Mood: D, Hidden twin makjang? Assistant’s death? Lame...

Saw on another site commenter posted doom at your service love triangle is because SIG isn't that popular and he and PBY couldn't carry it on their own. Something about k netz haven't forgiven him yet. Not sure if that's true but the love triangle is so separated from the rest of the plot its almost funny.

Not sure about this tbh, PBY was the highest paid drama actress when she did Oh My Ghost and is always put with guys less famous than her as she's the draw - in this case, SIG is more popular than her leading man in Abyss for sure (and from what I've seen, comments from netizens mentioning the military pop up occasionally but always get downvoted). I think the second lead love triangle is based on the writer's style tbh, Beauty Inside also had a separate love line for the secondary characters that didn't intersect with the leads.

Oh thats good to hear. I'm a fan of SIG and I didn't want that to be true.

I highly doubt this tbh. I think it's just customary for kdrama to have side characters so they gave them a love triangle there to be different.

mindless zombie action
where, what
I want mindless zombies
tho I have never seen mindful zombies.... zombies practicing mindfulness? that would be something
zombies have so many unexplored possibilities.
if they have no thoughts have they reached Nirvana

Have you seen the movie Warm Bodies?

zombie detective. thats so far for me the only zombie who minds being a zombie. love it!

For an interesting take on mindfulness/mindless
"I am a Hero"

For me, one of the very best Zombie movies. The physicality/movement of his girlfriend as the first transformation is amazing and the film's pacing is so good right to the end.

DAEBAK REALTY (Ep. 11-12): The best part of this arc was the parking lot fight scene. I found it interesting when JiAh burned her mother’s name in the incense in order to extract deeper memories from ghost mom. But then she realized she could not trust those memories as fact. I was right to think the egg ghost was a tangled bunch of spirits, but the way to exorcise them seems off and odd.

I also did not like the way the sale of the realty office was handled. JiAh gave in too easily and got no new information from uncle’s exorcism in return about what happened when mom was (allegedly) killed at the office. Hwa-jung’s recovery seems to have been rushed and her secret motivations still unclear. I still think there is a deeper back story between Hwa-jung and Do that will shed the true light on JiAh’s mother’s death.

The acting is still good and the premise still stellar, but I think the script stumbled a little in these two episodes. It lacked clarity to finding a final resolution.

BOSSAM (Ep 5-6): My assumption that Ba-woo was from a destroyed noble clan by the King and his allies came true. However, the flashback to when it happened, when he was a boy, was a little shocking; I felt it would have been more recent. It also throws more mystery on how he became a outcast-thief and his relationship with his son’s mother. The Young Master’s plan execution was terrible; blindsided for affection for the princess and being naive to brutal palace politics, he gave up the one piece of leverage for no assurances. He also puts the princess in more danger as now the face reader’s men will hunt her down like a lost slave. I don’t know the historical backstory of the real characters being represented so I don’t know how things will turn out which makes the story more interesting to me.

Variety:

HOUSE ON WHEELS 2 (Ep 7) The better episodes are when all cast members have worked in the past with their guest. It helps because they are more relaxed and share stories. Kim You Jung was the guest and she was a delightful, experienced camper. And the fishing scene was very fun.

I feel like Ji-ah should have double-crossed the CEO since the evil CEO tried to have her and Inbeom killed.

Agreed I don't understand why she even sold it to him after the fact.

History is a spoiler and sometimes I wish I didn't know. I'm glad it's more interesting to watch without knowing.
Appreciate your comments on the BOSSAM thread.

After the show ends, I'd like to know how much liberties were taken from history. I know k-netizens recently have been vocal about historical inaccuracies.

I paused a couple of shows because of Move to Heaven. As a mom of a teenager on the autistic spectrum I did have quibbles here and there in the beginning (the actor was great though) and sometimes the events happened way too conveniently... but then I got more and more sucked into the individual stories of the clients (and the commentary of the past and current problems of the Korean society)... and the show grew on me... and then completely got me and I cried so much during the last episode. I also loved all the cameos (Lee Jaewook!) and I really really really liked Lee Jehoon as Samchun. 💕

Doom - I'm not always sure what it is about (maybe the writer doesn't know it either) and I would gladly skip all those gardening talks with the Deity Girl (I don't like her 🙈)... but I like: the connected houses, deadpan Lee Suhyuk and Park Boyoung's eyes. And I'm FASCINATED by Doom - for someone who claims he has no emotions he is full of sadness... and hurt... and anger... and even the compassion he so much denies having... Yes, he can be also dark and cruel, though I think his actual target is himself, he is destroying any glimmer of hope that there may be something good for him and that someone can embrace him and love him. And so he continues orchestrating his own destruction.

With Daebak on the other hand I have the impression that the writer knows exactly where the story is heading to and I like that from the beginning the rules were simple and I could orient myself with ease in Jiah's special world and profession. Jiah is now stubbornly searching for the truth and I hope Inbum will soon warm her up - not only the body, but also her soul. They have managed to communicate (and worry about each other) till now, so let's hope they will continue and solve together whatever the past (and future) is.

Re MOVE TO HEAVEN. I concur. Lee Jae-wook’s episode was terrific. Great performance. I am a fight guy and his fight scenes were excellent. He obviously trained for this short appearance as a boxer. He was in great shape (although still kind of thin lol).

Move to Heaven really is a wonderful drama!

Doom at Your Service: I liked this week better than last but it still took me two times to get through Episode 4. I think it’s mostly because fantasy is not my favorite genre but the dialogue is also an issue, and there is a lot of dialogue. Characters talk and talk but don’t say much. The chemistry is good though.

Mouse: That was a surprisingly satisfying finale. The government conspiracy was dumb: Passing the psychopath bill is not going to lead to a crime-free utopia. I really liked Ba-reum’s last scene in the church, as well as his scene with Moo-chi at the prison. I think this role was Lee Seung-gi's best acting to date. Mouse was not a perfect drama but it kept me engaged for 20 episodes, which not many dramas do.

Mine: Makjang shouldn’t be this boring. Worse than hating the characters I just don’t care. The tutor storyline is predictable and Hi-soo annoys me. The maid and Young Master are incredibly dull.

Bossam: Steal the Fate: I didn’t expect to like a sageuk this much! I enjoyed Soo-kyung and Ba-woo working together. Yuri is really good in this role. I’m even sort of interested in the Palace politics though I reserve the right to take that back.

Youth of May: I like this show, but I feel like Hee-tae is too smart to be this careless. Does he not realize his dad is dangerous? Surely there was a way to keep his relationship with Myung-hee on the down-low if love trumped all. Like not date in public or run away from an engagement party holding hands.

Law School: There is some conspiracy behind the murder? Not sure what is happening there. It’s fun to watch Professor Yang in court and Sol A should have known her mom is a potential disaster as a juror.

Here’s My Plan: A four episode drama starring Kim Hwan-hee who impressed me in Beautiful World and When the Weather is Fine. I didn’t like something the female lead considered doing near the end of Episode 2, but I’m interested in seeing where this drama goes. I’m not sure he’s actually her dad.

My exact feelings about Mouse. The government conspiracy was interesting at first, but it landed terribly, but the finale was pretty satisfying. And the drama was engaging on both a thriller level and on an emotional level. Mouse probably won't be one those dramas that get recommended again and again, but I'm glad it existed and glad it showcased Lee Hee Joon and Lee Seung Gi's acting

Here’s My Plan: I didn’t realize it’s only 4 episodes. My bet is that he isn’t the father. The FL is an interesting character.

JAPAN -

Life's mainline - 8 out of 10 - 2nd episode was even better than 1st episode. 3rd is not only maintains that tempo but on side even makes it better than previous 2 episodes. Certainly going into my top 10 of 2021.

Rikokatasu - 6/10 - Underwhelming from the 1st episode onwards. Its too cliche and drags things. writer could have scrolled internet more to see how terms work and how they become part of mainstream.

There is a Reason for the Love to Dress Up - 7/10 - oh ho. the guy surely has moves. can get number of chicks. writer is maintaining the tempo too. President is back to amp the romance - is it even needed?
Scam part was real event. Writer does deserve some claps but director is shinning more and music is complement the story pretty well.

Kakegurui Twin - 6/10 - From this show you demand huge enthusiasm, energy and craziness but you don't see any of it.
Fukumoto Riko didn't suit the character much. She tried and tried hard but you could see she wasn't upto this show as well as character. She did look cute. that's it. Mary is left alone to bring momentum and you can see writing failing here clearly.

Tonkatsu DJ age taro - 4/10 manga to live-action. This move is advertising Takumi. He has done good and movie is entertaining but except these few factors there is nothing, nothing to talk about.

Little Miss period - 6.5/10 manga to live-action name is enough. And i had talked about it in 2020. Its educational manga so movie does look a bit preachy. Nikaido Fumi does look good.

Tonari no masala - 6/10 - Japan-Nepal collaboration. Again would do better as some news episode aka documentary aka mini travel than being made as a tv movie.

Korea -

Househusband evading everyone - 7/10 - Writer now is behaving like every other kdrama writer - no logic, more silly escapes. Husband aka hero trying hard to run but can't run away from anyone. It does have lot of actors of Harpy Sisters.

Cosplay School - 6/10 - Handsome with manly voice hero is as usual live audience to fun events. Writer is working hard to join all the convenient coincidences and events. The show right now is very much Chaos hollywood movie.

Loony service - 3/10 - garbage as usual. Female's face resembles yua mikami.

anti-fan disservice - 3/10 - slightly better than above garbage

The Dance of the Storm - Chinese - 6/10 - Show is a drag and frustrating watch but it still far better than other fluff garbage that is dumped by Chinese media.

Yui Aragaki - @screentime announced marriage. woah. She's being mostly active in CMs and now this - surprising for sure.

Now who's left from her generation - I can only think of Nagasawa Masami.

I think gen. should be every 3 years because entertainment media has so much competition that hardly 5% survive.

Hamabe - nagano - mone - shiraishi - should be termed as new

@catocat
For me, Yui Aragaki is one of the J-group that are really good at picking projects for their acting style. I suspect there is something structural in SK Drama industry that means many SK names have such difficulty with that.

I never really follow that side, but because it is so often mentioned in comments, the one that always surprises me is Perfume. They are masters of controlling their image (my naive/optimistic side hopes it is just that they are really skilled at keeping some private life)

P.S. You can almost group J cohorts by when they stop doing school stories.

@catocat
This year's J drama is most surprising for its dark horse drama pairings I didn't expect.

Yokoyama Yu and Kawahara Eito have made such a warm drama and Yu is pitch perfect in what could have been a nothing role.

Add this to Kuroshima Yuina & Furutachi Kanji (in what I am expecting to be my drama of the year) and Nagase Tomoya & Nishida Toshiyuki in a surprising drama I am sure most may have overlooked but wow it ran hard all the way to the end.

Doom at your service. I like it. I have the least clue of what the hell is happening but I like it, so I don’t really care if I understand it or not, because I trust PD.

Youth of May. This week I watched the last four episodes. I keep saying I’m not invested in the story or find it specially touching. But then LDH appears and I forget about everything. He is such an amazing actor. As for the story I don’t like SooChan at all (he is only motivated by his own interest), while OTP is just adorable.

Sell your haunted house is my happy pill and my love for Jang Nara doesn’t have an end. I’m quite surprised by the connection between JiAh and HwaJung, but then, it makes all sense. Wednesday come soon.

So I married an antifan is good bad. I’m having so much fun!

I had no time to continue with Beyond Evil but I finished my rewatch of Just between lovers and I loved it even more this time. How is this possible? MoonSoo and GangDoo are one of my favourite OTP ever.

I think I need to follow your example and let go of wanting logic while watching Doom At Your Service. It's possibly pompous claptrap ... so I'm just gonna go with the flow and stop taking it seriously. Honestly, my three favorite things are the set design and Dong-kyung's cunning and Doom's lips.

I live for Wednesdays and Sell Your Haunted House. It's been a long time since I've loved a show on such a visceral level.

Yesterday's Ep. 7 of So I Married an Anti-Fan was the first episode I didn't fast-forward! One more sign that I'm getting old—I couldn't believe Hoo Joon didn't turn his suede jacket inside out during their slo-mo walk in the rain! It's not like it had a candy-striped lining à la Seinfeld.

I was, the jacket !!!

Me too!!!

So I married an antifan is a guilty pleasure of mine at the moment too. Though I'm starting to wish that there was a budding relationship between Lee Geun-young and Seo Ji-hyang (the manager) because they have so much chemistry and he is such a nice guy!

I'm also watching So I married an Antifan too! Ji-hyang is so nice. I feel like there should have been more opportunities for Joon and Geun-young to be together and develop a liking for each other with the premise of being married.

cdramas:

word of honor rewatch - yep, i'll be doing a rewatch for this precious gem the whole year <3

moonlight - nice storyline. reminds me of romance is a bonus book. i'm fond of the ML but man, i can't stand the FL's OTT voice ;; i need to activate my selective hearing skilzZz to continue watching this.

ugly beauty - decent watch. pretty interesting to see what's going on in the c-ent industry. so messy but so fun to watch when put in fictional medium.

please feel at ease mr. ling - i have missed you, zhao lusi. i'm so glad to have you back on my screen again. too bad subs are slow on youku ;; looking forward to more of mr. ling's danger-prone imagination. please save him, gu anxin.

happy drama watching, beanies!

I started Moonlight because of the ML , but I also have a problem with the FL voice, it's dubbed, right?

yes, but the actress dubbed her character. i believe that's her normal speaking voice XD i watched her variety clips on YT and she really sounds like that.

Oh... I don't know how long I will last... it is terribly overcute...

i'm watching episode 4 and omg akjsakafjksf;;; please pray for my ears TT

Oh Lord. I watched a couple minutes of Moonlight Ep. 1 and that voice. Oof. It might take a few hours to get used to it. I'm all for actors using their own voices—especially in modern c-dramas—but it seems like Yu Shu Xin ratcheted up her natural youthful voice for this role. Check out her normal speaking voice, as heard in this interview with co-star Ryan Ding (Romance of Tiger and Rose).

The baby voices many young FL use is one of the most challenging aspects of watching c-dramas. Can you imagine talking that way when you're 50?

/shudders

five episodes in and i'm still not used to the OTT voice. i'd hate to drop it because i actually want to see the FL grow and be a successful editor. she's certainly passionate about her work, but the way she goes around and use her aegyo face and voice to get things done.. /headdesk

i'm waiting for jang kiyong to bring me back to kdramaland and oh, hospital playlist season 2 sooooooon!

Hello, fellow Shan Ren! That Word of Honor rewatch is so relatable. Can’t move on, won't move on. Eating snow instead of popcorn during rewatch but it is worth it :D

HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!! /waves/
yes to everything! there's no place i'd rather be~ i'm very happy here on top of the mountain. wenzhou fixed the wifi connection so we can still enjoy your regular drama watching :D

I wish I hadn't read this comment before I started watching Moonlight. I can't focus on anything other than the FL's voice now 😭. I am generally pretty tolerant of Chinese FL's cutesy voices but here it's coupled with an annoying personality too.

i'm so sorry! are you planning to continue? i'm soldiering through the episodes ~~~

I stopped midway through Ep. 2 yesterday coz I couldn't take it anymore 🙉. Might try again today since I really do like Ryan Ding.

Actually, I think her voice is alright. I mean, have you heard Tang Yan and Yang Mi's voices? Or even the most celebrated female actor Zhou Xun's voice? Some things cannot be helped I think. Esther Yu is relatively okay.

Doom at Your Service - Dong-kyung trying hard to learn to love Myeong-mang
Taxi Driver - Just watched ep 13 and I don't really know why President Jang wants to imprison the criminals instead of letting Sung-min kill them. Does he want them to change their ways - repent?
So I Married an Anti-Fan - Lee Geun-young learning how it is to be in the limelight while Hoo Joon tries to shield her from the bad comments
Law School - The internships are cruel!
Sell Your Haunted House - Jang Nara is really doing superb in the role.

Sell Your Haunted House: my favorite watch. This week felt like a transitional one, as we move into the penultimate week and start zeroing in on the homestretch of the main story with what really happened that night to Ji-ah's mother. Jang Na-ra broke my heart as she unraveled the truth (and herself) - an excellent reminder that she is an amazing actress. My favorite moments: In-beom grinning up like a proud puppy at Ji-ah calling him a "special medium" - and also the fact that he is entered as "Medium (special)" in her phone.

Doom At Your Service: as I said elsewhere, this drama looks really good on paper, but four eps in and it's fairly bland. It just doesn't feel like a whole lot is happening? That said, I kind of like that it's an easy watch in that sense, and I like PBY especially somehow. Gold star, drama, for that Han Ye-ri cameo. Now give me a Lee Dong-wook one since you through 9-Tailed out there so flippantly.

So I Married the Anti-Fan: it's my weekly does of mindless drama kool-aid, and I'm pretty much just here for Soo-young who is consistently punching above this dramas weight for it.

Fight For My Way: Park Seo-joon is a delight in this. Just the kind of romcom crack I was looking for - has heart and a lot of laughs.

Am looking forward to Mad For Each Other and Racket Boys premiering Monday and Monday next, respectively, as well as binging Here's My Plan when it finishes its mini-airing this coming week.

Every time I make a post, I wish there was an edit button so I could correct my stupid mistakes!

It's like how the right answer only comes to you after the exam. Typos and whatnot only become apparent after you click on the "send" button.

Obnoxiously true, isn't it?!

What I do is copy what I've written (just in case) and then if I wantneed to edit, I simply delete the post and write a new one. with the edits of course

I just watched Fight My Way last week. I did'nt know that the romance would be that good or I would've watched much earlier.

Same. I guess I assumed it would be a WWSKD-esque, but it's quite different. More straightforward and endearing.

You and @eazal are my drama twins so I'm curious to see what else you're watching that I haven't seen yet. Sell Your Haunted House is my favorite kdrama so far this year. I love it for itself—the tight script, acting, background music, production values—and for its commentary on various issues in Korean culture.

Ep. 11-12 made me reflect on how guilt and blame has wreaked havoc within my own family, across the generations. I lived much of my life wondering if my family's specialty in guilt and grudges was our pathology or part of our Malaysian Chinese culture. After talking with my adult cousins (we live in Malaysia, the States, UK, and Singapore), it seems to be a bit of both.

I ached for burdens Ji-ah and In-bum carried since childhood. I hope that these two will find answers and peace.

You've described the drama perfectly. It's definitely one of my favorites this year, consistently firing strong on all the cylinders you mention.

I'm not sure what you've seen this year, but I also really enjoyed Run On, Scripting Your Destiny, Navillera and Move to Heaven. I'm waiting for Here's My Plan to finish airing (a mini drama of 4 eps), as I though the FL was standout in Weather.

Thanks for sharing your family story. I love when dramas resonate for me beyond the screen. Good stories in books or on screen can be a valuable lens through which I can view my own life. I also hope Ji-ah and In-beom find the answers and peace they are seeking.

Youth of May: Expected misery. SIGH, I knew it was coming, but was still hoping for the best.

Doom at Your Service: I love this drama. Lol, it is a horror story masked as a pseudo rom-com. The leads have great chemistry and the snappy dialogue is great too.

Sell Your Haunted House: Goodness, goodness me. They keep upping the ante. So her mom was messing with her memories, for why Omma, for why? Also Hwa-Jung was covering up for her mom. Ji Ah is so badass, my goodness, this drama does not do filler episodes.

Law School: Sol A continues to be me. I had trouble finding an internship in law school too. I didn't have a Kim Bum looking after me, but I did have great friends.

Move to Heaven: This was a sweet little drama, it looks like they are aiming for a season 2. Also all the cameos, wowsa. I cried a lot in it though.

Re: Sell Your Haunted House. Since Ji-ah's mum, Hwa-jung and the older cop are all characters who are genuinely on JA's side, they must have a very good reason for messing with JA's memories of that night. The only thing I can think of is that it was JA herself who had killed her mother, either because JA was possessed by the egg ghost or because her mother had been forced to trick JA into stabbing her with a real knife. This might explain JA's false memory of being unable to stab her mother - it can account for her sense of self-recrimination while being the exact opposite of the much more unbearable truth.

Yes.. for everyone to try and to have been trying to mess with her memories, it actually made me think that what happened that night would have traumatized her too much if known. And if the memory of her being unable to stab her own mother was false.. then the truth would have been even more unbearable.

Binge watched Move to Heaven and cried a river. I usually steer away from depressing dramas, but I couldn't resist the LJH appeal and am really happy that I didn't, because I ended up loving this - not because the stories are particularly original, but because of the characters and the affecting and uplifting storytelling style. It's a beautiful drama. Geuru must be protected at all costs. And Sang Gu deserves pretty social worker to pet him like she pets that puppy 😂 Shame that Netflix did that thing: releasing half a drama and calling it season 1 🙄 Eagerly waiting for season 2!
I followed MTH with this week's Taxi Driver and - ewww. Twins - fake mole included and all. Really, Writernim? Lame. Going to watch it all the way to the end, though, because this is crack action and I'm LJH's trash.
Bossam is the current sageuk crop's dark horse. Didn't really expect much besides seeing always cute always competent Jung Ilwoo - who has a knack for picking unsavoury ML roles - and I'm super enjoying the story and the pretty and the kick ass OST. Things can still go downhill from here, but until now Bossam is looking like the sageuk of the year.
Finally, Imitation webtoon creeped up on me, and I liked it enough to check out the drama. The acting is a lot better than what I was expecting (it really kicked my prejudices in the ass, he!) and the story going towards how privilege can path your way into success is actually interesting. Plus the songs and choreos are cool, so there's that!

Haven't really been watching Kibndom's episodes, but I still watch the performance videos on YT and follow it on Tumblr. This week's lol goes to everybody's reactions to Felix's abs 🤣

BOSSAM: STEALING FATE (6/20): Enjoying it this immensely. It's a testament to the writing and Jung Il-woo's acting that there is so much disagreement on whether he's a good guy. He's definitely not the typical swoony type. I take a historical perspective and appreciate his realistic character. Yuri is fast becoming my favorite sageuk princess.

FAITH (12/24): Enjoying my rewatch even if it drags sometimes. I'm also having fun watching @leetennant's not-so-indifferent reactions. One episode she calls it "so cracky, so fun, so silly" and the next one she's frustrated with everyone and everything. I appreciate that she's still sober and analysing the drama's good and bad points. LMWho is also happy that she's watching his drama. 😊

BOSSOM is the only drama that has my interest these days. Your squeecaps have been wonderful but I noticed that the hangout is currently missing from DB. Has the discussion moved to another venue?

It's buried here https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/05/drama-hangout-bossam-steal-the-fate/

Can we please get a weekly thread @db-staff? It takes forever to load and it's not easy for others to find.

Yes, a weekly thread would be great!

Please @db-staff.

@wishfultoki,
Apologies for being slow this week in contributing on the ‘Hangout’ thread.
After the events of last week I have a question. Is there a chance for a Ba-woo/Dae-yeob bromance developing? Or is there too much family baggage and possible romantic competition to allow it?
We still have 14 episodes to go so I am thinking there is a possibility if those two somehow join forces.

Of course I should have begun by referencing BOSSSAM for the above comment. (For folks who are not watching. )

@marcusnyc20 I am also hoping for a bromance. At the moment they’ve joined forces reluctantly, and I’m all for it. There is the family feud and love triangle, as well as Dae-yeop’s yangban prejudices and Ba-woo’s prickly character, but with 14 episodes to go there is hope right?

Yuri is my current girl crush!

I haven't enjoyed a FL in a sageuk since Han Yeri in NOKDU FLOWER.

LMwHoo loves @leetennant. He misses her back hugs.

Slander and lies

🤣

Youth of May How the happy moments could end so fast? In only one episode...

Doom at Your Service The psychologic war has started between our leads :p

Sell Your Haunted House Jang Nara is killing it in this role!

Law School The murder, the accident, Sol A's sister knowing... There is a lot to resolve.

Taxi Driver I wonder how it will end for a viligante team... it doesn't looks good for them.

Bossam I would like them to stop the push and pull between the leads, it's becoming too repetitive.

Imitation I don't like the main actress. For once, a real idol would have been perfect for the role and they chose an actress who doesn't look like an idol at all... She suits more the weird deity in Doom at your Service than this role.

Here's My Plan I'm pretty sure she's wrong and he's not her father. She's just trying to ruin the life of poor man...

Move to Heaven It was really a nice drama. I'm excited to watch Tang Joon-Sang in Racket Boys from May 31.

Into the Ring:

It looked like I got out of my k-drama addiction😁 I thought of watching something while fixing some fishermen's style of pullovers on my hospital bed and I wasn't motivated to watch french TV so I was checking on my phone what I could watch and there it was 🎉 Into the Ring!🎊 I didn't binge watch it, still waiting for some time to spare to continue with it, but it's kinda amusing and reminding me that the world is so little and so alike even if we're not living in the same country with the same rules.

It's a really nice and consistent drama. I was really happy that the PD kept his way to film it until the end, it was unique.

Into the ring! Campaign shenanigans, Go Sera's power strut, Go Sera's support system in her friends, Go Sera being a lovely weirdo (and her parents too! 🤣), Go Sera and Muyoung cuteness, the comments on politics and memory, awww It's definitely a drama I'll remember for a long time

Taxi Driver: 7.0 A mid-show writer change? Someone should write a drama about that.

Bossam: Steal the Fate: 5.5 Where there's smoke there most be fire -- set as a distraction by an irresponsible "good guy" who doesn't understand how dangerous it could be. And it doesn't even serve to distract us from some lame dialogue. Now the title gimmick has worn off and it's just an ordinary so-so kdrama. I wish they had done more case-of-the-week before getting bogged down in the big struggle.

Doom at Your Service: 8.0

Youth of May: 7.9 They've gotten all they could out of the adorableness; the oppression & romantic complications aren't so much fun to watch. And didn't anybody ever tell her not to get into a van with strangers?

Sell Your Haunted House: 8.0

Law School: 8.0

Doom At Your Service: This was a funny kind of terrible last week, with an excellent Kim Ji-suk cameo to boot (no-one plays irredeemable scum better), but I barely made it through episode 3. I
Everything is so muddied, and the cast deserves so much better. I didn't drop this, I volleyball-smashed it.

Move to Heaven: I've really been gravitating towards shows about sickness and death this year - there's something so cathartic about tragedy - and move to Heaven's insights into grief make it one of my favourite shows of the year. I'm a dehydrated husk of a person after watching this, but it was obviously incredible.

I'm a dehydrated husk of a person ...

I've long had this fantasy of having my own saline drip for those really tough dramas. And we know home much dramaland loves a saline drip!

Doom is terrible but I'm giving it another week. We call this the power of great leads.

It's. Just. So. BORING.
Sinfully boring!
Who let Seo In-guk and Park Bo-young talk in nonsense circles for three hours??

This! It is a criminal waste of the leads

I didn't drop this, I volleyball-smashed it.

Filing this away to use when I need to strike down a drama that causes me a level of displeasure worthy of such a magnificent take down. 😂

I'm honoured 😆

Sell Your Haunted House:
As I have been very busy in the past weeks, I could only (barely) manage to keep up with this one. Jang Nara is gold. She rocks this character. Yong-hwa is also lovey as a soft-hearted (ex) con man. I think I really like this one; whenever I watch it, I feel like my heart's warm.

Looking forward to watch when have more time:
1. Move to Heaven
2. Racket Boys
3. Monthly Magazine Home (whatever that means)
4. Bossam???
5. Hospital Playlist 2

Sell Your Haunted House: My pick currently. Episode 12 was all about Jang Nara, and damn she is good.

Doom At Your Service: I've talked about this on my fan wall. Long story short, illogical and lame.

Mine: I did not expect this drama to go the Penthouse route, and I'm not into makjang. That said, it's getting the ratings it wants and that might help our lead actors career-wise.

Moonlight: A very basic romcom, but the leads do have a bit of chemistry.

I'm liking 'Doom At Your Service' a lot more than 'Sell Your Haunted House', though I'm enjoying both. Haunted House seems a tad vacuous, though. Its story is all on the surface, its not exploring any deeper concepts.
I've doggesly stuck with 'So I Married The Anti-fan' out of loyalty to the female lead, who had starred in the very first K-drama I watched back in 2013. It took til episode 6 before I was remotely interested in the story, though.
I've begun watching my first C-drama in awhile. 'My Little Happiness'. The first four episodes have been a delightful bit of fluff. Its nice to watch a show without ghosts or deities every once in awhile.
And of course I'm excited its the weekend - two more episodes of 'Revolutionary Sisters'!

My Little Happiness is just wonderful fluff all throughout. Thank goodness!!

MY LITTLE HAPPINESS is excellent, if not perfect, light romcom. The only way to have improved the story would be for the Beautiful Female Surgeon with a crush on the ML to meet the FL's wonderful boss. As it was there was another secondary romance which was delightful.

Mine: How makjang with rich people can be so boring? For drama writers- you know it is possible to write villainous woman characters without making them screaming shrews, right?
Taxi Driver: The show has abandoned any moral dilemma regarding vigilantism and now straight up glorifying it.
Doom: The show has most artificial conflict ever. Everything is vague, especially role of doom and deity. Show should just drop pretentious questions about humanity and life.
Law school: I don’t have any clue on who might be the killer and I really don’t care. I just want assembly man, prosecutor and human trash off my screen. They are standard one-dimensional baddies. Can’t we have more time for Joo-hwi and Sol A with Joo-hwi making puppy eyes or being terrified of a puppy?
Sell Your Haunted House : It was quite satisfying to watch breakdown of Do Hak-Sung. Jang Na-ra continues to be stellar. Her confrontation with her mom and aftermath was flat out amazing.

Bossam: There are things I like here, but the show seems uncertain about what it wants its main narrative line to be. Is this the story of Hwa In's empowerment as she embraces her new-found freedom? Ba Wu's revenge? A love triangle? Twenty episodes of everyone running away from armed guards? I really enjoyed the high-brow/low-brow con artist team and was hoping the show was going to run with it, but then it veered off to other things after an episode. Also if the two guys keep telling Hwa In what she can and can't do and having pissing contests with each other I'm going to start shipping her with Court Lady Jo. Cause really guys, she's clearly the most competent one here.

Mouse
What a wild ride that was...I don't know which message the scriptwriter wished to convey, but it fell a bit flat to me. This Makjang crime thriller had many plot choices which demanded some suspension of disbelief, but none was as demanding as the idea that only psychopaths were capable of murder/other violent crimes...
Lee Seunggi was wonderful. Yohan was one of the most tragic characters I've ever seen.

Doom at your Service
Honestly, I keep watching in hope that it gets better (and for the cast). This week's episodes were a bit better than last's...but it feels like "grim fluff". So far, there is little substance. However, I'm glad our female lead is actually aware of the flaws and contradictions in the contract.
Also, I am so relieved that other beanies have pointed out the issue with the dialogue! I thought I was going crazy because I just couldn't follow what these characters were saying half the time hahahaha

Into the Ring / Memorials
Since everything else that I was watching was leaning towards dark and tragic, I decided to start this drama because reviewers described it as a fun and light watch. They were right. Although I am not as invested in the romance as I was hoping to be (although the leads are cute and those kiss scenes are AMAZING), the political antics are mostly a blast to watch! It definitely achieved its purpose for me.

Youth of May
I didn't have time to watch the newer episodes yet. I hope I'll have time to catch up over the weekend.

On a unrelated note, I just finished re-reading The Hunger Games series for the first time in over 10 years. I thought I might not enjoy these books as much as I did as a teenager...but I was pleasantly surprise! I think I enjoyed them even more because I could now understand the politics and themes better.
I re-watched the first 2 movies last night. Although the first one is still just a ok movie, Catching Fire is just as amazing as I remembered. I love it so much! The directing, the cinematography, the writing, the sound mixing...such an incredible improvement from the first movie!

I realized recently that I actually never watched the other 2 movies, so I am looking forward to watching them this week for the first time. I hope they are just as good as Catching Fire.

Yeah, I could get over the brain surgery and maybe even the swapped baby, but the idea that so many people believe that psychopaths were the only people who were capable of murder/committing violent crimes is asinine. It would have been unbelievable in 1995...and even moreso now in 2021 with 26 years of additional research on psychopathy.

Boy, those citizens are going to get a shock when they realize that non-psychopaths are committing murders too. And Shin Sang's dad pardoning Evil Government Lady was weird too. OZ, which she controlled, executed his son...

This drama didn't even consider the debate of Nature vs Nurture. It decided that the answer was Nature and went with that to an extreme lol

There was a bit in the deleted scenes/alternate ending in the last special that would have explained the pardon if they’d left it in (personally I think they made the right call on the ending generally but that bit might have helped)

I haven't watched the special! Will do that today!

Completed
Mouse - Ended pretty much as expected though the message about psychopaths, that the passing of the bill implies, was truly ridiculous. Any drama that needs multiple specials to explain its story needs better writing and editing.

Ongoing
Bossam - Is it bad that all I could think was "look how cute they are" while they went around scamming people? Ba Wu's origins were about what we expected from his visit to the monk nor am I surprised by the connection to evil FIL.

Youth of May - My stomach twisted in knots with just that one scene of Myeong-hee being abducted and the lights flickering out. Don't even want to think about next week now.

Doom at Your Service - It's cute if a little nonsensical (Han Yeri was so cute in her tiny cameo!).

Law School - Can I drop this with only 5 episodes to go? They just keep piling on horrible cruelties to up the shock factor (evidenced by the rape or not rape drama due next week). It's all been done before in Western shows and generally done better and without the shrill noise music.

Daebak Real Estate - This show moves along at a cracking pace. The Ep. 11 cliffhanger was so well done I was almost sad they didn't go through with In-bum's death - would have certainly made for a compelling storyline about exorcising him. But I guess I root for our little exorcist team more. If anyone can get Ji-ah back to exorcising, it's In-bum.

Taxi Driver - The revenge chickens really came home to roost for the team this week. The story seems to be becoming increasingly bizarre and violent. Not sure if it's the writer change or if this was always the story.

C-dramas
Completed Octogenarians and the 90s - dealt with some pretty heavy issues with a light hand. Very interesting drama and something to learn from.

Watching Miss Crow with Mr. Lizard and The Imperial Coroner.

Planning to try out Please Feel at Ease Mr. Ling and Moonlight.

Mouse - I don’t think it needed the specials to explain the story, I think it was because they needed more lead time to film/they didn’t want their ratings tanked by competing with an election. I’ve only seen one of the specials but I didn’t feel like it added much.

Well they did 2 specials where they explained the murders and showed them in detail - especially the timeline of the priest's murder which was dubious because of all the TV stuff happening in parallel.

I know a lot of the delays were due to external factors but I still think there was almost too much story to this show. So many serial killers and psychopaths (all around the same group of people!). It just felt like the show went on forever.

Yeah I think those two specials showing how he did it would have been better if they’d been intercut into the main story (after the fact, so maybe flashes as Jung Ba Reum getting his memory back) and maybe that was the original intention? Who knows. Agree that there was maybe too much story. I kind of feel whenever things get to needing a voiceover to say what the character is thinking, it’s getting too explainy instead of just letting the story tell itself, and that happened more and more in later episodes. But on the whole, I liked it.

Yes I think the show overall was still a good thriller and was elevated more by the performances.

I was surprised by Please feel at Ease Mr. Ling, as I thought it was going to be all fluff like My Little Happiness but then in episode 3 we suddenly find out new layers of motivation from the ML which makes him less than perfect. I hope that this is going to be the fun ride, it's promising.

Oh that's interesting. I had also assumed it was all fluff and was planning to watch mainly for Zhao Lusi. But it's nice to know there are more layers to the show.

BOSSAM Episodes 5-6 - things are getting more complicated, now that we have learned more about the identity and back history of Ba Woo.

YOUTH OF MAY Episodes 5-6 - I knew that something bad was coming, but there are 6 more episodes left, so a lot can happen. Rooting for Team Dongsaengs.

MONEY FLOWER rewatch Episodes 23-24 - What. A. Drama.

NAVILLERA Episodes 7-8
@marcusnyc20 (bong-soo), I was very moved by the ending of Episode 7. The ending of Episode 8 was a masterpiece too. I liked how the three characters connected wordlessly, just through dance.

@snowflower,
Thanks for allowing me to go back and watch on Netflix (US) the endings to both episodes 7 and 8 of NAVILLERA.
I agree with you about the characters connecting just through dance.
I consider the ending of episode 8 probably the finest 5 minutes of television of the season. Those scenes were a beautiful combination of directing, acting, editing and music.
I am in awe of not only of Song Kang’s movements but how he used his eyes to show concern for Deok-chul. After several rewatches I think a lot of credit has to go to whoever edited that final scene.

Imitation - I've been really enjoying this. The characters themselves are a little cookie cutter, but the setting really elevates everything. This show does not shy away from the problems in the k-pop industry. It covers some dark issues, but somehow still manages to feel light without seeming contrived. I'm really rooting for all these groups, but I already see the storm coming.

Kingdom - I just want everyone to win equally. Is that too much to ask? Actually, I figured I would come in as an atiny, deobi, and stay adjacent and leave as a 6-team stan. The "problem" with these shows is that everyone is really talented so ranking the performances tend to be more about taste than anything. There's been a few I could really critique, but overall they've been interesting. I wished Mnet was clearer but otherwise, enjoying the ride.

Stove League - finished this this week. It was really good! I know almost nothing about baseball, but it actually made me care about all the mechanics. NGM and Eunbin did excellent. I really loved their characters and growth throughout. I never sympathized with the CEO although his life was horrible.

Aigoo, yet another reminder that Stove League is still waiting on my plan-to-watch list! I'm indifferent to most sports but I love watching sports movies—especially when the competitors defy expectations. I'll probably watch Racket Boys too.

STOVE LEAGUE was wonderful- although I enjoyed it even more because I actually do know a fair amount about baseball. Which is why I can add something to the discussion and say the- with the exception of the corporate shenanigans involving the conglomerate- part of what made the show so good was its accuracy. It really did portray the actual world of baseball as it is lived by the people who are involved. It helped that the story unfolds in the "off season" which means that no space was filled by portrayals of the game as it is played. Instead this was the story of the lives of the people involved in it. That simple fact helped the drama work as a drama.

I think Stove League is smart because they know that off-season is where the excitement lies. That's also why I'm not too big on Racket Boys. I feel that it's going to lean more toward school than sports. Also, I'm not fond of watching dramas/movies based on an individual sport as well. I think that's a terrible idea honestly. However, Racket Boys has all the ingredients of a good drama (no name cast, solid writer) so I'm going to give it a chance.

I got halfway through Stove League, thoroughly enjoying every episode, then I just stopped watching. I can't really explain why. I've got half a series out there somewhere that needs finishing.

I'm not a sports show fan either, but Stove League was quite well done, and it was interesting to take a deep dive into a world that I knew virtually nothing about. I also liked the fact that it focused on the off-season and the strategy behind creating a good team.

Youth of may 6/12 : Why are lee do hyun and go min shi so cute!! I thoroughly enjoyed their dating however short lived it may be. I mean they could've given us another episode of cute right. I'm truly afraid of hee tae's father and worried about myung hee.
Sell your haunted house 12/16 : Ep 11 was kind of meh until the exorcism started and then the drama came back with full force. Very eagerly awaiting the reveal of how her mother died. Wish jiah lets inbum more into her world.
Move to heaven Completed : What a gem of a drama this is. I was eagerly awaiting for this drama and it did'nt disappoint. I cried a river over the final episode. And I was quite suprised that the show had many fun moments like samchoon and na mu bickering and lee je hoon provided much needed comic relief from the somber mood of the drama. I really liked the scruffiness of lee je hoon which unfortunately is not much shown in kdramas. Will definetely want a season 2 if there is a plan for one.
Search WWW 2/16 : Is romance really necessary in this drama? I'm really digging the scenes between the 3 FL's. But should give props to the drama for giving all types of female characters. And I who always actively search for a romance even when there is a zero possibility does'nt feel anything for our lead couple. Dunno why because I'm a huge noona romance fan. And Lee da hee is amazing. I like her style here.

The daily drama BE MY DREAM FAMILY continues to put a smile on my face. As the week ended our pregnant couple’s wedding is about to happen but everything is going haywire- and dad is running towards the wedding hall so that he can be there in time to walk his daughter down the aisle. Earlier in the week a cheating now ex-boyfriend got levelled- and it was just so satisfying.

SELL YOUR HAUNTED HOUSE continues to get even better. Jang Na-ra is one of my favorite actresses with good reason but it is also true that the show is very well written.

SO I MARRIED THE ANTI-FAN is a re-make of a Chinese movie that I saw several years ago. It has been expanded into a full drama. It is entertaining but has moments when you can see the stretching. But it is over-all a fun watch..

I have also been watching the Mandarin language show YOURS FATEFULLY- which is not a C-Drama but rather a show from Singapore, and quite different from what you would see from Hong Kong, Mainland China or Taiwan. It is a fairly light rom-com but does explore the problems of family and particularly the impact of aging parents.

We are really enjoying BOSSAM. However, I have fallen behind on watching USE FOR MY TALENT the Chinese re-make of CLEAN WITH PASSION FOR NOW.

My wife finished the Sageuk THE PAINTER OF THE WIND and is now largely back to Chinese costume dramas: DANCE OF THE PHOENIX, RENASCENCE, MY HEROIC HUSBAND and, best of all, THE IMPERIAL CORONER which she absolutely loves.

So I just started So I Married an Anti-Fan. I also just finished Something about 1%. Had it for years and just watched. What really confuses me that both share at least for actors, that I have never seen in other dramas. And both have manga style title cards. Is it the some director or studio? Weird coincidence.

So, it is the same director. He also did My secret Romance, which also had an overuse of funny noises.

Mouse: Wow, they wasted that interesting govt conspiracy angle and made it dumb AF. It w as ultimately illogical and ended with the citizens going "Eugenics for the win! Woohoo!" And it didn't seem a big deal to them that OZ had set loose and abetted the killings, including that of the little boy. Hangook didn't have to die! My unhappiness about that aside, I thought the last 40 minutes ended pretty strongly and poignantly, especially with Bareum comforting his childhood self. Bareum gaining his humanity was both a punishment and gift. Choi Ran's weakest work but best finale. Illogical with an ultimately terrible message about psychopaths, but riveting and emotionally engaging and memorable all the way through. No regrets.

Doom at your service: I'm not sure how cohesive the drama is, but I'm enjoying the heck out of the ride and the atmosphere. I love the individual scenes and the actors nailing the feel of their characters. Wondering about Doom's origin.

Sell Your Haunted House: My go-to for really solid storytelling. I like the new revelations this week. Why oh why did we end up on a cliffhanger?! Jung Yong-hwa was especially impressive this week. Wish the uncle and In-beom could have talked.

Imperial Coroner (up to ep 18): Cdrama. We get 8 episodes a week and yet it feels like we only get 2. They go by so fast! Chu chu's older brother is annoying, so I'm hoping the characters can leave her village soon.

Wolf Princess (up to ep 16): Picked it back up. It's a lot of fun with likable and funny characters. I think what makes this stand out is that the male lead gets to be fun and funny and the female lead is the one who is reserved and careful.

So I Married an Anti-fan: Picked it up. Writing is terrible, but easy to watch with some funny moments. Glad a broadcast/cable tv spot wasn't wasted on this drama.

hello to all...
am hoping to watch/complete ep9-16 of 'Beyond Evil' between today and tmrw..this is my first show for Shin Ha Kyun...
Bossam - i'm enjoying this show so far
Hush - i watched ep1 out of curiosity, since i don't think i have seen the main leads' work before but i'm not sure if i would continue
Taxi Driver - i like the pace of this show, and the momentum
From my never-ending watchlist, started He is Psychometric...am on ep11 but i actually put on hold to watch/complete Voice 2 instead, so if i find something else, i may just not watch HiP anymore...Let's see....
Next weekend, i will watch Mouse ep12-20 back to back (you'd find it hard to believe how i managed NOT to read any spoilers so far lol)
Ling Cage Reincarnation - waiting for season 2 now...

Sell Your Haunted House (Ep 11&12) - We are almost there in knowing the truth behind the death of Ji-ah's mom. Who is the actual culprit and why? I was laughing at the scene with In-bum jumping out of the building and not die....like seriously? I didn't know being possessed can turn you into superman for a while :P

Mouse (Finale) - Ba-ruem's fate though tragic but it's poetic justice in the end. I felt that Mouse have pretty good overall pacing with it's intense story build up towards the ending but the execution for the finale seems a bit flat imo. Acting wise, I think Lee Seung-gi did really well here :) I however took issue with some of the minor things that annoys me when it comes to Kdrama.....does people ever lock their house door? Does a person carries a knife in plain sight and barge into another person's house so easily and repeatedly at that? Sigh....

I agree and I thought that the last two eps of SYHH were a bit weak tbh. There were something illogical about them, and the jumping-from-the-building scene was one of them. I believed that the psychic could be hurt the same way the normal people could. (Btw, the blood stains when In-bum appeared in front of Mr.Do's car were pretty funny.)

SELL YOUR HAUNTED HOUSE: Haven't watched ep 12 yet but ep 11 ended so dramatically I can't wait to get back. With only two more weeks to go, I'm starting to feel sad it's ending. =(

DOOM AT YOUR SERVICE: By week two, I'm all in. I'm mostly loving everything except for the Goddess, I don't get her function.
I really like how Myeol-mang comes across as asympathetic and callous. I find it logical an ancient being would be emotionally cut off, seeing how much suffering he not only encounters but also incurs in these fragile human beings. The second leads are somewhat of a mystery to me as well, it's like a whole another story going on. But Lee Soo-hyuk has a very commanding presence and wonderful voice so I'm willing to forgive.

Speaking of glorious voices, I started re-watching CHIEF KIM and I'm stuck with the thought that Junho must've been constantly full during the shoot.

During last week's "What we're watching", a beanie mentioned Cdrama SHE'S THE ONE so curious, I started watching. And it's by far the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. But ridiculous in a funny way, instead of terribly embarrassing.

She's the One manages to hit that magical amount of ridiculousness to make it fun to watch. The leads have character traits that should make them unpalatable, but it freaking works here.

She is the One is deliciously ridiculous... and I also enjoy how the actors enjoy all that ridiculousness 😀

Yes, SHE'S THE ONE is ridiculous and absurd- and a lot of fun because of it. It helps that the actors understand that this is a comedy where one is not supposed to take everything seriously- including themselves. So it is fun because it is so refreshing.

Welcome. We all watch this wondering why anything happens the way it does. Everyone, including the parents, buy into scenarios that no normal person would. I even expected the FL's mum to be the voice of reason, but in the end...nope. It's such a delightful nonsense of a drama 🤣

Undercover isn't getting any love... i like it very much, though the Ji Jin Hee father character of (yet another) autistic/asperger syndrome son got me confused as i was watching Move to Heaven at the same time...

it is very convoluted - his wife being in charge of the CIO (corruption investigation office) and he was/is an NIS spy of sorts (?).... he's being used by the organization but also is trying to protect his wife.

but for a stay-at-home dad (his cover), he sure doesn't spend much time at home....

Well technically Han Jung-hyun / Lee Seok-gyu left the NIS and is a stay-at-home dad first and foremost, but due to his his wife being nominated for CIO director and also investigating Cha Min-ho's death, the NIS is returning to haunt him for the first time in years. So I wouldn't say he's being employed/used by the NIS, more like he's being blackmailed by them.

Actually the fact that he's a stay-at-home dad with two grown children is quite a good move on the part of the script, cos that means his schedule is a lot more flexible than if he had small kids to take care of. Still, he does spend far more time doing spy things than his counterpart in the BBC original. In the original, the character is mainly concerned with damage control with regard to his and his wife's past. In this Korean version, the husband has become a sort of secret superhero figure, righting wrongs in disguise then dashing off so that his wife will find him demurely cooking dinner when she gets home from work. I'm not very happy with that, but at least it means Choi Yeon-seo (his wife) is shown at work and dealing with actual cases a lot more than her BBC counterpart did.

I'd love to watch Undercover and had planned to do so live, but I can't find it on any of my platforms, so I'm hoping Viki will get it once it's done airing and I can binge it. But it looks very compelling, and it's still on my list.

MOUSE - it is very seldom that I stick with a 20 episode kdrama right to the end but I didn’t have any trouble with this. Lee Seung Gi did an awesome job and as usual he msde me cry. The first half of the finale was a bit flat - a little too explainy by telling not showing I guess? But the latter half was really good. I thought it was really sad that the experiment showed that of the two “lab mice” one was non violent and the one that did become violent was deliberately goaded into it, and yet the public chose to blame the genes not the people (I do feel like this is exactly what would happen if you asked for a vote right then though, so maybe the conspiracy should have been even bigger). Anyway. overall verdict is flawed but good.

SYHH - that episode 11 cliffhanger coupled with funeral clothes in the preview legit made me worried. I just want a happy ending for In Bum and Ji Ah.

DAYS - I think it’s best not to think too deeply about this. It’s stylish and pretty and kind of like watching a comic. Doom is very good at standing and saying nothing but not looking like a complete blank, which is always nice.

FAITH - I am tagging along slowly having not seen it before. It’s the mox interesting drama I’ve seen LMH in? It’s silly fun so far (ep 4)

WARM AND COZY - I started watching this ages ago and dropped it because it was boring. Picked it up again because my sister is loving it but...still boring 😅 making liberal use of ff/recaps to get through.

It felt so strange that it wasn't a bigger deal that the OZ experiment involved using regular citizens as bait and that one of the "lab mice" was goaded to kill. After this, people were just like "yeah. Guess we need more oversight. But more importantly, YAY EUGENICS!!" And not all murderers are psychopaths. They're going to be disappointed in about 20 years and murders are still happening. Maybe they'll find the "road rage gene" or "drunk driving gene" or "domestic violence gene" or "too greedy gene" in the meantime and get rid of them too.

That’s why I kind of feel like the conspiracy should have been bigger - like she takes the fall for it, but the actual thing she wanted happened (not that it will work because not only/not all psychopaths are murderers) and there are still people manipulating things behind the scenes.

That would have been better! And it would have tied into the mysterious ending credit scene of some doctor replicating that brain surgery!

OZ members even killed Ba-reum's family, Detective Shin and Chi-kook but yeah, psychopaths are the only ones capable of murder.

am I the only one who doesnt find any crackers in Daebak Real Estate? I watched it but I just cant seem to care. rather than watching the leads run around and exorcise I want to stay home and chat with Ji-An´s mom and knit socks. I dont caaaaaaare

Doom: it is kind of like old mythological texts that you dont know what they mean any more. it is weird how in a drama that barely has anything going on there is so much extra stuff. if I could I would scrape it even more clean and just make it a two-actor play (it might work in theater, on stage, there would be tension.) the goddess is pointless, and the poor actress seems to know it since there is no heart in her acting. Now, Lee Soo Hyuk could be the no-nonsense human mentor to Doom and make him see even if humans are pointless, we still gotta friggin, you know, deal with it. You can be cynical but dont be a whiny puppy. cause I think thats what he needs more than abstract love and stuff. humans are born and then we gotta grind ourselves through the mundane everyday and talk to people we dont like etc. Doom really has a problem with manners he cant hide his dislikes or boredom. but WE have to.
so yeah, they should scare more out so it would be more like a european suspense movie or a mystery play. only keep what truly works and it would feel like there is a lot...

I really like Dabaek but I don't love Dabaek. I do look forward to it each week though.

Re Doom: "it is kind of like old mythological texts that you don't know what they mean any more"
This is the most perfect explanation I've read

Completely agree with your comments on both dramas. I think the actors are single-handedly caring both shows, because the writing is just not compelling enough.

Doom at Your Service: is just... not that good? But the leads I am here for. It's not just that the show makes no sense but I can't work out what everyone involved is trying to do with it. Tonally it's all over the place. The dialogue is hilariously terrible. I'll give it another week or two but I think the biggest problem is that it's just neither angsty enough nor fun enough. It could be either, right now it's neither.

Sell Your Haunted House: Not gonna lie, I hated hated episodes 9 and 10. A lot. But this week felt like it was back on track and all the weird sexism and gaze issues are gone. Was there a different writer? A different director? Did the PD take a long smoke break and get locked out of the building? We will never know. But I enjoyed these week's episodes a lot. It feels like the show is back.

Watching Faith has been an interesting experience because, you know, it's not a "good" show. It's in fact a mess of bad directing, clashing genres and some lacklustre acting. The female lead is nothing but a MacGuffin. The show has one plot point, which it uses every single episode. But it is cracky and bingeable (and the OTP is surprisingly good).

Now this is almost a full decade old and it's definitely an old-school cracky drama. I've started to ask myself - have modern dramas lost this? This sense of "This drama isn't that good but I can't stop watching, I must press play on the next episode".
This kind of gleefully messy crack quality that old dramas like Faith had?
Is this just because I'm binging it rather than live watching it or is there definitely an indefinable something about older dramas that has been lost?

I’ve been thinking about this too and while there’s definitely a difference in style (and use of filters) I think there’s probably a degree of selection bias at work. Like, the dramas that we still see/hear about from 10-15 years ago are the ones that were cracky/fun/amusingly bad/really good but there would have been many others that we don’t hear about now, where these days we get them all thrown at us so the ratio of interesting/bland seems lower.

This is a really good point, a lot of dramas just sink into obscurity and are never heard of again.

That's true! I've been watching dramas since about 2005. There are some bad dramas that I started and/or watched that never ever got a mention after airing, Exhibition of Fireworks, starring Han Chae Young and Kang Ji hwan, Witch Yoo Hee, starring Han Ga In, One Mom and Three Dads, Strongest Chilwoo, My Precious Child, and Diary of a Night Watchman (I did hear a recent mention but it was only because of the Seo Yeji scandal).

That's very true. Not that long ago, I was looking for something to watch and scanned a list of dramas from the last 15 years or so. I'd never even heard of many of them. They just faded into obscurity, I guess.

“ But it is cracky and bingeable (and the OTP is surprisingly good).”

Surprisingly good! Is @leetennant no longer indifferent to you know who?! *checks to see where the sun is setting...*

Oh no, he's banal and like a plank of wood in the middle of everything.

Oh wait, I think I just broke character...

Umm... who?

I think some of it may also just be familiarity. When I first starting watching K-dramas a decade ago, I didn't know any of the tropes so everything felt very fresh and new, and therefore very exciting. Now it's obvious to me when a show is just rehashing standard plot formulas so it's tougher to find shows that feel original. I also think pop culture is always evolving as tastes, trends and social norms change - sometimes that's a good thing (less wrist grabbing and slamming women into walls) but sometimes cool cultural nuances get lost, especially in an increasingly global entertainment industry.

I've been cracking my head over this for a while now. What was that magical something older dramas had that made them so addictive. That something changed around 2017, the year of the universal drama slump.

Maybe it was how the characters were shown, up and close. Or how the sets and fashion didn't overwhelm us with their perfection. Or as @beffels notes, the use of filters? The older dramas were raw, unpolished, and maybe that's why they felt so relatable and memorable? Maybe the PPL wasn't so overt. Was it because they had simpler stories? No trauma, or geniuses or corruption taking the center stage? Maybe they didnt try too hard to be cool or mysterious, so they felt more organic, and epic in their simplicity?

Selection bias, to an extent, yes. But I watch a lot of obscure older dramas (even Thai or Taiwanese shows), and I note that they are very crack-tastic, even the bad ones. And I, similarly, can't stop watching them. It's quite hard to put your finger on it.

I rarely live-watch dramas, I always binge. And "This drama isn't that good but I can't stop watching, I must press play on the next episode" is rare when bingeing dramas these days.

One change I’ve noticed (this is shallow but kind of reflects the overall change) is that earlier dramas the men were kind of normal looking? Like a fit, good looking version of normal but not like western dramas when every character is like “hey I’m just a normal dude who just naturally has all the muscles ever” ...and now they’ve caught up. If you watch older western tv and then modern stuff you can see the change there too. I think this plus the endless filters makes everything feel more overproduced.

Yes, normal looking people in questionable fashion sometimes :)
I remember Shopping King Louie was the first drama with those weird filters. It took me out of story, partly because I thought something was wrong with my screen.

Taxi Driver Not quite feeling the show after the writer change. Actually fast forwarded scenes in the last episode and have not yet watched the latest one. May just tune in with FFWD button ready just to see how this show ends.
Move to Heaven Because I needed a LJH fix, I started watching this show with a box of tissues ready. Already on episode 4 and not sure if I should just finish the rest in one sitting or not. I really like the show and feel for the story of every client they deal with.
Doom At Your Service I am liking the show so far. LOVE Dong Kyung for being cunning and standing up for herself and not let Doom push her around. Mildly interested with the secondary love story and hope that Lee Soo Kyung gets the girl. Not really feeling Kang Tae Oh's character and feels like its just an extension of his Run On art student.
Bossam I really like the leads and may just continue watching for them. Since its on MBN, the subs are usually delayed which makes me lose momentum. I am behind two episodes so I am still on the mindset that BW keeps on making bad decisions and hopefully he mans up soon. So if he made considerable changes in the latest episode then thats so much better.
Sell Your Haunted House Jang Nara is absolutely amazing in the last episode. Wow! Plus I am so happy that we are finally seeing what really happened that fateful night. Did the egg ghost die? Or did it move to a new host?
Mine Tried watching this and only got as far as episode 2. The location and wardrobe are all so luxurious but the story is meh for me. Dropped.
She Knows Everything its a short drama I found on VIU. I find it well written and find the characters fresh from other murder mysteries. Plus the actress that played the character whose death was part of the central mystery also played the kindergarten teacher in Move to Heaven.

Doom
I'm not good at the sense and the logic of fantasy drama, that's why I'm VERY picky when it comes to that genre. This one though, I don't need sense, logic or whatever. I just need to see SIG and PBY in one screen, holding hands, staring and bickering endlessly without understanding and caring what it is all about.
And Lee Soo Hyuk...he's the definition of male beauty.
Yeah...I can be that shallow sometimes.

Princess Hours
Omigod, even after all these years, I'm still not over this drama. Why don't dramagods make this kind of drama anymore?

So I Married An Anti Fan
It doesn't offer anything new, probably that's why I'm sticking to it 😂😂

I have heard that there is actually a re-make of PRINCESS HOURS in the works. Of course, I may have heard wrong but I am looking forward to it if it is true.

I can't imagine how they could update Goong (Princess Hours) for the 2020s. Forced marriages to high school girls is a problematic premise.

We do not have arranged marriages in Western countries so we think of them as "Forced Marriages" but where they do exist in the world one universal rule is that bride and groom both have the right to say no- and this was true in GOONG as well- the first episodes actually turned on the question as to whether or not the bride and groom would agree to go along with it. Further, please remember that the prince was also in high school and even in the same grade so both of them were young but of the same age.