Open Thread #714

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

One can say that the year plus pandemic has brought out the worst in some people. There has been a lot of toxic behavior surrounding fandoms and celebrities. But in the past two weeks, there has been an insane public back-and-forth that any fiction writer would be embarrassed to pen.

Actress Han Ye Seul has been in a very public battle with some would call a YouTube troll, who has been attacking various actresses to gain attention. The actress has become the target of numerous rumors, which have escalated from her boyfriend being a bar escort, to her being a prostitute and tax evader. She has started legal proceedings against him (which is being applauded by k-netizens) but he continues throw out his wild "suspicions" as defamatory facts. Clearly, he is obsessed with ruining her and her career.

In the midst of these controversies, Han has been cast in a new drama. You would think producers would steer clear of a controversial actor, but Han's outspoken transparency is very different than normal PR shelter-in-place strategies.

If and when the troll is physically caught, chances are good that being underage and/or suffering from mental illness will be the excuse. Then the actress will be attacked for going after this person. No-win either way.

No, the guy is an adult. Apparently, he was a former reporter. You would think he would know better.

Then mental illness is likely his "get out of jail free card".

He apparently runs it with a lawyer who was indicted last year for conspiring to falsely accuse a businessman of rape in order to extort money, yet the lawyer is still on the channel yapping about these actresses. They keep accusing actresses of having backers, it seems these guys have powerful backers of their own.

Kiwis - yeah yeah yeah.

Rain and thunderstorms - even a surge storm - power outage
Then Internet outage - 10 days of the month gone like that. not so good a month except Cricket.

Summer - hot summer with good humidity. who's enjoying it?
several articles - yeah talk about climate change now - Weather is almost the same but news media need something and anything to have some buzz. Still, 2021 is a bit more excited and that we see through this summer.

I had made one comment about 2020 summer day and night time temperature difference. That was pleasing but this time it same known weather with similar temperature. 2020 summer had best nights. no need of any electrical gadget as mother earth provided cool experience. Maybe maybe it was because of not much industrial activity around. Less use of coal and petrol aka less carbon emissions.

I don't really like summer as I am quite sensitive to the sun (I get really bad rashes if I don't cover up or apply sunscreen properly). We're actually on the alert these next few days here in BC as we're getting a heat dome and weather folks are predicting record breaking heat. I just bought an air conditioner because of that news, after not having had one for decades now. 60% of people living in Metro Vancouver don't have air conditioning.

The heat is supposed to get real bad - can't even depend on the nights being cool (and they normally always are) for the next few days. I'm also bracing for news of more wildfires (although I really hope that doesn't happen).

Times like these, I wish I have an indoor swimming pool. Maybe when I win the lottery... LOL.

Yay for the cricket! It kind of but not really makes up for ODI World Cup that was decided on boundaries.

A year ago everything was pretty much a nightmare personally, regionally, and globally. This year things are limping towards normalcy or whatever the new normal will suss out to be. But right now, in this very moment, I'm enjoying a cool morning on my porch listening to some birds having a very loud conversation, sipping my coffee and thinking about all the changes that have happened in the last 12 months.

I hope you are all well, I hope you all stay safe, and that's it for me being thoughtful and maudlin today. I will now return to my previous and more comfortable sarcastic state of being.

loved this! i pictured you making your "pod" cup of coffee in that black rounded top coffee pod maker, seeing you slide the dispenser light all the way up for your americano...

LOL, no pods for me. I’m an old fashioned percolator coffee maker kind of girl, and I like it piping hot, black, bitter, and lots of it ready to pour. I believe, our own Dame Judy here calls it “swill”

American coffee 😱

Exactly. Coffee in Australia is of a higher standard. Based on my one business trip, ahem.

Pilots I knew called it 1,000 mile coffee.

Enjoy your morning! In my region we’re waiting for some mass testing results to see if we’ll be locked down so I guess that’s kind of the new normal at least for the next few years.

Happy lockdown!!

I realized this week that I've watched 19 dramas so far, of which 12 count as 2021 beans. And I'm hard-pressed to rattle them all off the top of my head. I was momentarily deflated by this, but then I also realized that there were a few gems that I truly enjoyed - and I have high hopes for the second half of 2021, too.

Have a wonderful weekend, beanies!

the calm before the severe and unusual heat wave to come to the Pacific Northwest this weekend... 106°F on monday in seattle???

Omo!

They are predicting 111 degrees here in Oregon on Sunday. ugh

OMG

Yikes! That is too hot.

UGH is right!! we're not used to this heat... but maybe my basil will be happy!

🌱 🪴 😊

I wish you can share some hot temps here in AK.

i wanna come up there this week!!!

Our hottest temp next week is 68F.
Come and bring some of the ☀️ With you 😎

Here in northeastern Illinois we were having a severe drought.

Then southwest/west heatwave plus Gulf moisture caused enough rain to be dumped on us such that severe drought became moderate drought within a couple weeks.

Now your massive heatwave plus Gulf moisture (70% relative humidity) will likely dumped so much moisture on us that we might be drought-free in less than a week. Flash flooding is a concern but some places may end up with real floods.

Hope you can stay cool. Careful not to touch certain outdoor surfaces.

I'm as ready as I can get. Stay hydrated everyone (and in the shade).

time to make naengmyun... but i don't wanna boil the noodles... maybe in the middle of the night....
*sweating at 10 a.m. already*

Ugh I’ve spent the last few days looking after my 4yo who has been out with a vomiting bug and now she’s given it to me 😫 I should be asleep because it’s 4am here but I’ve spent the last hour with a bucket 😭😭😭😭

At least it’s the weekend so husband is home and can take care of kids - so long as he doesn’t get it.

Oh, no! Hope you are all back on your feet and feeling better soon!

Ooooo sorry, feel better soon!

Beffels I hope you have a speedy recovery! That sounds awful.

*hugs*

The 4yo is on her third day of it so I’m not hopeful 😭

😭

Oh, vomiting is the worst. Get well soon

I hope she gets better soon!

Ergh that's so terrible. Hope it passes soon.

Hope you recover soon, Fighting!

I hope that you all feel better soon.

I've grown a thick skin from watching years of emotional Kdrama but I've got to tell you, episode 14 of a certain drama that starts with the letter D just wrecked me this week. Well played, drama, well played.

It’s almost midnight but I’m so hungry. I’m not that literally hungry because my stomachs didn’t make any noise, but I really want to eat something.

Oh my cup noodles, Swiss Chico bits, and chocolate milk, how can I eat you now without feeling guilty? *hopeless face* *closes the fridge door*

Someone tell me how I can eat pesto pasta, meatballs in tomato sauce and a couple of bowls of soup without gaining more weight and feeling guilty.

Why do all these thoughts often come to me when it’s nearly midnight? 🧐

The struggle is real. Hwaiting!

🥺 I’m sad to report that I gave in to a littleeeee bit of baked beans. Luckily for me, I remembered that I actually had a can of baked beans in my cupboard. Beans are protein (right?), so I felt reassured that at least I ate something beneficial.

Now my tummy is satisfied and ready to rest. 😎

Beans are protein! And if it helps you get to sleep, then they're even more beneficial. Hope you rested well! :-)

🥰

Skip the meatballs and half the tomato sauce might help.

😂 Thank you Snickers!

spread your pesto on slices of chicken or turkey, add sliced tomatoes, avocado and wrap with leaves of lettuce -- skip the bread!

Thank you Ms Spazmo! 🥰 Here it rains sometimes nowadays and my basil plants have grown back! We have a lot of basil leaves now, and it’s time to make my next batch of great pesto! 💗

i'm on my 3rd try... i planted too early, it was too cold at night. leaves turned yellow and i pulled them out and replanted a few weeks later... same thing happened... so i bought another batch - have 5 plants going now - so far, so good! they will LOVE THE HEAT & SUN!! i'm totally out of my frozen pesto cubes from last year...
: (

I hope everything goes well with this batch of yours! It sounds like it’s gonna be quite hot where you live; with such weather and enough rain, I’m positive that you’ll have your desired pesto cubes soon! 😁

It’s classic. The diet always starts tomorrow.

😱😂🤣

Half the fun of watching 'My Roommate is a Gumiho' is keeping track of all the parallels with other dramas. Mostly its been following 'Doom At Your Service' (superbeings, cohabitation, ticking clock of doom, etc), but now its paralleling the series 'Nevertheless'! In both we have a college girl who is involved with a professor with some disturbing appetites, a girl whose fate gets intertwined with the campus bad boy charmer. None of these series are at all like the other but are still so similar.

Happy weekend Beanies and keep Beaning On!

My weight loss problem is getting solved. I asked food instead of birthday gifts last week and our fridge is still bursting with chocolate, cookies and other snacks!🍫🍪😇

They certainly came in handy, because I have started watching K-dramas again!🥳 My schedule is empty compared to you seasoned Beanies, but I am taking it as slow and easy as I can to not overwhelm myself even more. It also allows me to stay entertained for a few weeks until I am facing the next step in my recovery.

Whether my watch schedule becomes fuller or clears out in the future still remains to be seen, but at least I am trying to enjoy them with you again. I hope to read you all on the fanwall, recaps and what we are watching thread soon!👋

Just one word: You really should recap Hospital Playlist Season 2 ...

I haven’t been able to kick start with this one yet because I’m preoccupied with some shows and I can’t enjoy too many shows at once, but they don’t do recaps on this one? DB staff this is a crime against humanity! I know that there will be a lot to cover for each episode and a lot of medical stuff, but I’m pretty sure that you can manage this successfully and beautifully as you have always done. I don’t think Beans will mind if you skip too complicated med stuff either.

Drop some shows to take this one. It's worth it.

😂😂😁

Or at least give us a Hangout!

I have been refreshing this web since Hospital Playlist 2 premiered, but alas no recap of it till now. 😢
Guess I should just let my hope sink.

It's listed, but I would love a recap that's timely.

Yeah, it's Ep. 2 now ...
(I am really thinking about those 2 cups of coffee on Songhwa's car hood ...)

One caffeine, one decaf, so just drink both!

According to Songhwa's character, she absolutely would.

"Monthly Magazine Home" and its ensemble cast of very, very talented actors are criminally underrated. Just sayin'.

(JTBC really should've aired this in the M/T timeslot back in April when it stood a chance instead of the cutthroat competition now *cough*HP2*cough*)

I think Jung So-min is a real gem.

Planning on seeing this! Glad it’s starting well.

I agree! I am enjoying both shows but JTBC should have planned better.

yeah, I've been thinking of the competition since I saw the premiere date of MMH is June 16, and I know wholeheartedly that HP2 's premiere date is June 17, so I was like 'nooo,,the MMH will be competing with the behemot HP2 on its Thursdays!'

but was it really colliding, their airing time?
I watch both shows live since the IQIYI in my region released updated eps for MMH at 8PM wed-thurs, and Netflix in my region airs HP2 at 9PM thurs, but I don't know whether the korean schedule were actually colliding between the 2shows.

I re-checked their posters & it appears both dramas air on a Thursday’s at 9pm in Korea :(

I also like HP2 & definitely understand and agree w/ its high viewership, but it really seems like JTBC knew it didn’t stand a chance in that time slot & just threw MMH under the bus to “compete” w/ HP2 without really giving MMH the fair promotion & marketing that it deserves. (JTBC also oddly stopped airing dramas on M/Tu after “She would never know” in the spring. If someone knows why, please share!)

While I know MMH is far from perfect & doesn’t have buzz worthy stars in it, I definitely think it would’ve done far better in ratings being aired on say Mon/Tues and on another channel...

Such a pity that this small gem of a drama is going unnoticed! *endrant*

:((

thanks for checking the schedule, I love both shows, but couldn't help for feeling that the MMH could've done better rating wise, if there's a better planning of the jtbc airing schedule,,I remember during the phenomenal rating of Who You Come from The Star, i enjoyed watching it live but also feeling that Miss Korea (which I also watch it on the same period, and I LOVE IT) could have MORE of rating and appreciation should it was aired in different month or schedule,,well, I guess rating will go as it likes..hope the MMH cast and crew could weather this situation, and keep improving the quality and story of the drama, MMH fighting!

Snowdrop should have aired on the Monday-Tuesday but there was the issue with Joseon Exorcist and it extended to Snowdrop. So they pushed it for the Fall.

hello. does anyone know chinese or japanese dramas that are really good written? I looked on dramalist, but even bad dramas get like the best ratings.

I don't pay much attention to any rating with less than 10'ish. But just my own opinion is that there simply are not many Japanese or Chinese shows that are well written. Chinese shows have gotten much worse IMO since about 2015, when mass censorship really started kicking in. It seems like nearly all current Chinese shows are just 3 genres - Wuxia fantasy being the main one.

I haven't watched many Japanese dramas but I enjoyed the 2019 "In Time With You" (Viki title). Taiwanese dramas don't seem to have the same mainland Chinese censorship problem but I don't have any recommendations. There's one I liked but the name's just not coming to me.

Taiwan show "The Fearless" (2019) was pretty good. Haven't watched any others.

It depends on what you mean by well written. Realistic and complex characters? Well developed and logical (even with fantasy elements) narrative arcs? Dramas with serious messages or romantic fluff?

Here are some of the dramas that I've enjoyed:

Chinese -
The First Half of My Life
Story of Yanxi Palace
Nirvana in Fire (both the original and NIF 2)

Taiwanese -
Some Day or One Day

Japanese -
Never Let Me Go (based on Kazuo Ishiguro's dystopian novel)
A Sharply Graceful Girl
Midnight Diner
Sutekina Sentaxi

Anone - drama
Date - funny and dweeby as heck
Hero - quirky funny kimutaku
Long Vacation - romance, early kimutaku
A Million Stars Falling… - the original, kimutaku
Mr Brain - detective kimutaku
N no Tameni - whodunnit
Nigeru was Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu - cute
Orange Days - relationships/friendships
Saikou no Rikon - divorce, funny
Sutekina Sen Taxi - quirky funny
Stand Up! - romcom about young people
Tennou no Ryoriban — emperor’s chef, true story

Date was a riot!

I love N no tame ni!! I second that recommendation!

Depend on what you're looking for? Even most kdramas that are billed as the 'best' around here (My Mister, Hot Stove League, etc) don't work for me because I have rather peculiar requirements sometimes. Anyway, here's a couple of recent and newbie friendly ones (for JP, the premise is not too 'wacky' while for CN they don't have flying people etc) that I enjoyed:

JP:
Saka no Tochuu no Ie (2019)
Influence (2021)
Kokoro no Kizu wo Iyasu to iu Koto (2020)
Ototo no Otto (2018)
Kinou Nani Tabeta? (2019)
Hokuto (2017)
Unnatural (2018)
Quartet (2017)
Chase (2017)
dele (2018)
60 Gohan Taisakushitsu (2018)

CN:
Murderous Affair in Horizon Tower (2020)
The Long Night (2020)
The Bad Kids (2020)

Okay I just have to ask. Why are the kisses in chinese dramas (some kdramas as well) so bad and underwhelming? Is there a rule or something? Because I love slowburn and when they finally kiss, it is like the biggest disapointment. Like for example I found even the kisses in Crash Landing On You meh.

Ironically, it was the exact opposite in Something in the Rain.

So true. I don't know know why. Maybe because CLOY was not airing on jtbc?

There was a passionate kiss at the end of episode 9 of 'My Roommate Is A Gumiho' where it seemed like the male lead wanted to eat the heroine. Because the male lead wanted to eat the heroine.

It has gotten better than the old KDramas. But it depends of the PD or the actors or the audience or the channel.

Yep. In Just Between Lovers, kisses were basically lips touching and freezing in place (while we know Junho can kiss from Wok of Love) and its particularly bc the directing in the bts as they wanted it that way, more innocent.

For Chinese dramas, regulators have rules on how passionate kisses could be and how much touching could there be. "Hot and heavy" has not been allowed for a few years.

China doesn't have a rating systems. Everything on screen must be appropriate for all ages. However, films seem to be given somewhat wider latitude than small screen shows.

I t’s June 25th already am it’s hot, hot, hot! I’ve noticed a number of Beanies comment about the abundant drama choices, isn’t it wonderful! I’m watching Imitation, At a Distance Spring is Green, Doom, finished up Mad for each Other, Hospital Playlist 2, Racquet Boys, Bossam, My RoommTe is a Gumiho, Nevertheless, Monthly Magazine Home, and On the Verge of Insanity (which had an oddly interesting first ep I thought).

Coming soon: Ghost Doctor with UEE, Rain, and Kim Bum looks fun as does Police Academy with Cha Tae-hyun and Jinyoung.

Has anyone read Wicked Fox by Kat Cho? It’s a YA book, and I watched a short YouTube by the author where she pronounced and explained some of the Korean words she used in her story. I picked it up at the library and I Can’t wait to read it this weekend. Have a good one! ❤️🦉

I haven’t watched so many airing kdramas at the same time since maybe Summer 2016. I usually watch one airing drama while I binge watch an old one.

I’m watching 4 (which is nothing compared to you) : Doom, Roommate, Nevertheless and my fav Hospital Playlist 2.

I’m also watching Love, Victor Season 2 on Disney + and slowly binging Demon Slayer on Netflix.

A few months ago I was struggling to keep up with 3 dramas....
then again I’m on break from uni as of now. Submitted my last assignment of the semester today!

Which one are you enjoying the most?
I’ve been wanting to check out Racket Boys.

Racquet Boys is a fun coming-of-age drama. I also recommend Move to Heaven with the same lead, Tang Joon - sang . Also Hospital Playlist 2 is excellent and a more stellar cast couldn’t be found. But really, I’m happy to be watching them all. Enjoy your break and relax with kdramas!

Has anything women centric like Hello my Twenties or Search Www - except 'How to be Thiry' (sigh) - been made in recent times?

'Sell Your Haunted House' wasn't so much women-centric as gender-neutral. It had a strong female lead and no loveline but the heroine was too in-her-own-head to be seen as a fighter for the cause, so-to-speak.
'Doom At Your Service' has a plucky independent heroine but she's such a storm-tossed victim of circumstance dependent on the (literal) power of love to (literally) survive that its hard to put the show into the feminist category.
I had joked that by American standards most K-dramas are 'woman-centric' by virtue of the fact that the female lead usually has female friends to talk to. That's more than they get in the US!

I haven't watched any American Drama for so long and am completely out of date with the recent trends. But back in the days I remember there were some great friendships in there too - Grey + Christina + Izzie, Monica + Phoebe + Rachel, Sex and the City girls.

But woman centric wise I do love how many of our K-Drama heroines are super plucky.