You Are My Spring: Episodes 15-16 Open Thread (Final)

As we draw to the end of our tale, our wider plot points are concluded, and we get some nice wrap-up for each of our side characters and stories as well. But what our finale excels at the most is tying up the story’s themes and emotions, and giving us something to take with us after the drama is over.

EPISODES 15-16 WEECAP

You Are My Spring has always been a bit scattershot with its tones and side plots — we’ve had murder and sociopathy right next to emotional healing and idol romance — but that was half of the charm, right?

In our final week, things settle down on all fronts, and there’s a sense of finality for each storyline and relationship. The interesting way the romance and murder storylines intersected throughout the drama continues right till the bitter end, and I’m left with two conflicting feelings. One, that the romance + murder didn’t fit together at all and the two plots were more parallel than anything; and two, that because they were so different and only vaguely woven together, they actually became something even more meaningful.

Da-jung and Young-do have climbed their mountain, and their relationship feels delightfully sweet and solid. They’re both mature adults, but their romance also has his innocence to it that’s been really charming. What’s left for them this week is to iron out the tiny wrinkle with Da-jung’s mother.

Da-jung’s mother has a really lovely discussion with Young-do as she basically gives him the (second) seal of approval, even though he’s been painted as not a healthy dude. Her encouragement to him, and the ajumma hazing, were quite sweet, but I think the most moving might have been her exchanges with her daughter. They felt incredibly raw. How did this drama capture so well the emotions of a mother who must acknowledge that now someone else will become the most important figure in her daughter’s life? *Single tear*

It goes without saying, but I’ll say it anyway: You Are My Spring has excelled at these beautifully written and quite sensitive (for lack of a better word) scenes between its characters. I’ve enjoyed how at one point or another, each of our characters has interacted with each other in ways we didn’t expect — and really, ways that didn’t even matter that much (in terms of the plot). Is it random, or is it very much like life? I think it’s the latter.

In fact, that’s where we land as the drama ties up its final message: not to take life for granted. To remember how much people matter. To realize that one small act can have a huge effect on someone’s life. Not sure how this drama keeps making sequences of random strangers powerful enough to make me want to cry my eyes out, but it does.

While there’s not a lot of plot in our finale week, important tie-up things happen, like Da-jung (oh so comically) learning that Eun-ha is dating her little brother, or like Patrick’s true love for Ga-young causing him to blow their cover and making their relationship public. (Side note: I love this couple so much I want a side drama just about them.)

And then there’s Ian Chase and our whole murder side story. The drama has painted that in pretty broad strokes — the story, I think, was more about the psychological and emotional elements than it was the hard facts of which twin was which, and in which scene. However, I leave this storyline quite satisfied as well.

Ian has come clean to the police about everything, and though he can’t be prosecuted for the crimes, his internal journey seems even more meaningful to the story. Ian Chase was the one that got involved with Jae-shik and instigated the murders; he was also the one that returned to Korea and found his brother, which is when their cosplaying first started.

It’s confirmed that the sweet Choi Jung-min from early on that we wanted to trust was probably worth trusting; the dark and creepy scenes where he confronted Young-do, for instance, were Ian Chase cosplaying his brother. Justice might not find him, but he finds a deeper truth for himself as he works through his traumas. He tells his brother in voiceover: “I was the shadow. Not you.”

While I could probably be a little more critical of the finale week which, like most, felt like half wrap-up half PPL party, I find myself holding back. I really respect what this drama was able to do, both technically and emotionally. In fact, I’m not sure if there ever was a drama that brought this level of emotional insight and heart into not only its secondary characters, but all of its many side characters as well.

And then, of course, there’s Young-do’s beautiful monologue that we’re left with at the end. He’s closing out his final appearance on the radio show, and has some lovely words for people that are struggling and going through hard times. His lines play out slowly as we see them acted out in our various storylines, and they seem like the perfect place to end my coverage of this drama as well.

I took them all for granted. Waking up in the morning and going to bed at night. The cool breeze and the blue sky. My heart that beat without stopping, and my strong legs… There was a time when I failed to appreciate those little moments. I was a fish looking for the ocean that was already around me. I believed I’d find happiness and feel at peace one day. But the fact that I’m breathing is enough proof that I’m doing well, despite not shining brightly all the time.

Tags: , , , ,

This became a very moving tearjerker at the end that managed not to be melo or maudlin - designed for the times. The story of support and "passing it on", which I've always considered a bit of a cliche, was renewed here with sharper teeth. My heart went out to those damaged children, especially the twins. Desperate adults who leave a wake of damaged children behind and then the intentionally malevolent ones who dispose of children - it's beyond horrible. Of course things like that don't have to happen for people who are full of pain to be walking around in the world . The drama took a gentle healing approach to all of this. The final message could have come across as heavy handed, but instead it was moving and exactly as you said @missvictrix , sensitive. It put the responsibility on all of us.

I feel your disconnect @missvictrix! I felt as though I'm watching two dramas sometimes: a romcom and a thriller. I felt the ian chase one was a bit isolated and he had few or no interactions with the other side characters as much.

Young do and Dajeong's story was great and cute despite the noble idiocy. The message, while meaningful, was driven at bit too hard in the end. I enjoyed the drama still. It was a good watch.

agreed re the disconnect! i suppose it was a case of, "being a little too ambitious and thus not quite able to adequately resolve both threads"... and totally agree re the overdose of the messaging at the end too. i feel the drama used the narration/VO device a bit too much as well, wld probably have been much better to hear it directly from the characters themselves (e.g. when YD was rushing over to meet DJ n reconcile, his "apology" was done in VO style, but why not show him actually saying it to her?)

The two plotlines felt like they started in the same place but then moved off in directions that were off by a few degrees. So while it looked like they were still in the same drama, they eventually ended up in different places. To the point where I was wondering why they were in the same show in the first place. They did try to wrestle it back into line but it was already in a different galaxy, possibly quantum entangled.

Thank you @missvictrix for covering this show and giving us a place to share our thoughts every week!
YD's radio monologue and the scenes that followed were so heart warming. I also loved the compilation of beautiful dialogues voice-over multiples scenes at the end, very moving and soothing. True to its healing tone, I think the drama wrapped up beautifully. YAMS had such a winning cast from lead to supporting, they were all great in their roles which added to the beauty of this drama. Thank you for making me laugh, cry and feel comforted along with the characters for the past 2 months, you have a special place in my heart.

My expectations for the ending had been darker, believing the vice-chairwoman would be doing more than stating Ian would regret his eventual choice. Or maybe I had just wanted it to be darker because I had liked it when it focused more on the twins. Oh, well.
I wonder though if the decision to reduce the amount of time Young-do and Da-jung spent with Ian Chase towards the end of the series was like showing how they were no longer part of the dark themselves. Both of them have their growth from their traumas while Ian still needs to work through that (if possible).
It was a decent ending. Bit sad that one ship did not just sink but it was abandoned completely. I feel like they could have done more with the boxing instructor... but I also desire to know how Patrick's group thinks about his relationship and if Seung-won's show ever aired.

I would have loved to see that ship sail. I've now decided that it did, in my imagination.

占~~~~~
Hard agree. After Ha-neul saw Eun-ha, he definitely bumped into Jin-ho.

Best ship ever

Same here with the last ship. They only needed to give us a scene of them doing another training session together and that would have been enough to show us there's potential for something more in the future.

i feel so “uncharitable”, reading your generous conclusion! i actually made a list of things i was dissatisfied with, as i watched n rewatched those last 2 eps 🤣😂 just to name a few.. that was it, with the scary chaebol lady storyline?!?!?!!!! the boxing girl’s thread was cute n funny, but just evaporated abruptly. what happened to DJ’s mum and “mr hong”? why is this drama (that i love to bits, in spite of my nitpicking) even titled “spring”, the connection is just not clear enough, we barely even saw the spring season or cherry blossoms per se. there was a trailer for ep 15 that showed YD having a call with his dad, but didn’t feature in the final eps ~ i thought this was really missing, esp cos we had so much of DJ’s family n YD being initiated, but not the other way (like, i wld much have preferred the show to explore this thread n more on YD’s healing, him opening up more to DJ, rather than give that much airtime to the other supporting characters in the precious last 2 eps! 😂). why did they have YD n DJ shake hands yet again, at the end!?! felt very unnecessary……… etc etc etc 🥺😅 wld really have preferred a tighter wrap up in the last 2 eps, esp after the lovely build up in ep 14 to them realizing their childhood connection. ah! 😔

all my ranting aside…. i’m so glad i gave this drama a chance n stuck with it, cos i found possibly my favouritest OTP n relationship development of all time; and i’m so so so so glad it was KDW who took on the JYD role instead of another actor that was initially reported. as some have mentioned on earlier discussion threads, it’s such a pity the ratings have been so low in korea - it (and the 2 main leads esp) deserve so much more love n recognition! ❤️

Well spotted to all those loose ends.

Can anyone shed light why marriage saved Gayeong from self-destruction when they just have it in name? That part was confusing. Also not to mention divorcing because the marriage worked. whaaa??!

Her marriage was a therapy sort of. 'Divorcing because the marriage worked', that is because the marriage had worked it essence, taking her out of self destruction. Were she still in that place, they'd remain married till she was okay, at least.

Marriage is not a cure for mental health issues, is all I'm saying. And show is wrong to have this in their storyline.

They didn't marry for love but for her mental health. They never were husband and wife but more doctor and patient undercover of a marriage. So after one year, she felt better, so they could divorce.

This just screams unethical to me. Would any sane shrink marry his patient?

I thought he was her friend, who happened to be a psychiatrist. I don't think he was her doctor?

Oh right. But he wasn't her friend tho. A consultant at a drama she's in? I don't think they were friends yet at that rainy encounter.

I don't think it was unethical. They never were lovers. When she showed some interest, he stopped her. She wasn't really officially his patient but she needed help and as a celebrity it was more complicated.

My theory - based on nothing in the drama but purely my own imagination - is that Ga-yeong suicidal and needed therapy but couldn't be seen to use a psychiatrist because that would damage her career.

Therefore they entered into a fake marriage, so he could counsel her on a daily basis without it raising any eyebrows (but always keeping his distance) and as soon as she was well enough, the therapy had worked, they divorced.

Doesn't make sense for her career tho, based on korean netizen observations. They will be happy to see you married (maybe) but will be harsh when you get a divorce.

Sorry I'm nitpicking. I love the show, but some parts just don't make sense!

I think divorce is better for your career then being suicidal and needing to see a psychiatrist.

I was hoping for more with Ha Neul and the trainer too. It didn't bother me that Mr Hong didn't make an appearance because to me that thread was to show us the close relationship between mother and daughter through conversations (they spoke on the phone regularly about their daily life, workz suitors etc). Also despite everything Miran went through she's now living a life full of spunk and vigour. She's not lonely or lack of suitors either if she wishes to open up her heart again. I noticed it too the phone convo between YD and dad in the preview didn't make it in the episode. My guess would be they ran out of time. I thought GY's story wasn't fully fleshed out as well. Since her character description was that she was hurt by a past betrayal from her manager/ex bf so I thought we would get to explore her backstory a bit more but alas no.

Oh! I agree so much with the Mr Hong thing! I think it was never supposed to be something we physically see, it's just Miran and Dajung telling each other their everyday life. I mean if it weren't for the whole murder fiasco, Miran wouldn't have met Youngdo also Miran never met Chae Joon/Choi Jeongmin.

Wait who was supposed to be Youngdo before Kim Dongwook again?

Yoon Kye Sang originally received the offer and passed due to scheduling conflicts apparently. I think it would be somewhat similar to his last drama, Chocolate, if he took it. Also another healing drama and it didn't do too well ratings wise. Imho KDW did an amazing job and I can't imagine any other actor playing YD.

Right!!! I remember that, was so excited but then so disappointed when he canceled. But yes, I'm really glad Kim Dongwook took this role

Awwweeeee, what a sweet show. I enjoyed this one. Everyone was excellent. It could have done well as a shorter drama without the noble idiocy and the weirdo murder subplot, but the rest was really nice.

This is one slowburn drama from start to finish. The scene with Mun MiRan and AGY had this very soothing effect because it was done after MMR had appended her second seal and it was an edifying moment for MMR, instead of it being used to clarify JYD's past with her. It was warm. And this drama had me wanting for more scenes.
Towards the end, the drama did not bring Seo Ha Nuel and Jinjoo together, they would have made a good couple. At least he got closure to his feelings about EunHa. The guys heart is just too innocent, it was sad he remained a relationship virgin to the end.
And now to Ian Chase. Its a pity the twins had to face such situations at a very young age. It was more surprising that the cool headed Ian admitted he was the shadow, and poor JungMin had cowered several times already. His story ended pretty strong, though I was expecting more angst. The fact that our unuttered cry for help(Ian Chase) to the world is not answered (JDY) is no clause to flip to the other side. We can still turn out fine (Choi Jung Min), no matter what.

I truly loved this drama, and it will most likely be in my top dramas of 2021. It really examined the dark and the light, the bitter and the sweet of life. To me, it was about choices and connection, and I appreciate that this was done at both the macro and micro levels. Because we are all intertwined, and we all surge forward in life together.

Seo Hyun-jin gave a tour de force performance; I truly felt with her. Her ability to show her feelings and to bring you along with them is magical. Someone give her all the awards immediately. Da-jung's and Young-do's character development (both individually and as a couple) was well done. I really liked that it wasn't linear and sometimes went in fits and starts - this reminds me much more of real life relationships, and it tackled vulnerability very well.

My only small disagreement is that I didn't find the "innocence of their romance" to be charming this week - I found it juvenile. It felt like two people in their mid-to-late 30s, who have been in relationships before acting like they were on one long middle school date. No, this isn't just a complaint about the lack of skinship (though that kiss on the rooftop mid-drama did set some expectations, ahem); the way they related to each other, talked to each other, the activities they did...just seemed so ridiculous after everything they went through as people and as a couple already. I get that the rush runs out when the honeymoon phase is over, but there's got to be better way to show mature people moving into settled coupledom.

Other quibble is that we were robbed of Ga-young time in ep 16. Um, helLLOOO? She's wacky as heck, but her heart of gold, (often unintentional) wit and wackiness were always an absolute treat - I missed her and was disappointed that the wrap up for her and Patrick was so quick and neat.

But this drama rocked. I was hooked, I loved nearly every minute of it, it was a feast for the eyes and such a treat to watch. And at this time in history, the message of kindness, connecting, reaching out - and that it doesn't take much, sometimes it's just watching - is a much needed reminder and encouragement that even just the little we do can help a lot. Bravo, drama!

i see what u mean by the last 2 eps were TOO innocent re the romance - that may be part of my personal letdown! really thought we cld have seen them have deeper n more meaningful conversations

I wanted skinship. It felt like I was cheated of that scene.

True that about the innocent nature of their relationship. And yes I'm referring to the lack of skinship as well. They teased us in the preview of ep16 with the bed scene and I understand that an actual bed scene might have been out of place in this drama but surely they can give us some cuddling in bed.
If not then don't tease us haha. Not only that after our leads realised their childhood connection and confessed their love at the end of ep14 I thought surely, naturally some kissing would follow. Even if they didn't want to make it repetitive and end the episode with a kiss like the previous one they can do a playback and begin ep15 that way but alas no. Maybe they really wanted to stick with the "adults who are children at heart" theme but then there were more than just a few sexual inneundos sprinkled throughout so I'm left scratching my head 🤔. Except for a few gripes I loved the drama.

I 👏 SECOND 👏 EVERY 👏 SENTENCE(S) 👏

I agree 100% about the juvenile nature of their relationship. It was simply ridiculous. And really aggravating. Here we have two very mature adults, very much in love with each other and they are asking for pecks on the rooftop for comfort? I will never understand why kdramas struggle with adding more nuance in this area. One exception was Search: WWW -- there wasn't wild onscreen shenanigans but there was acknowledgement that women have sexual feelings and can act on them.

I also don't get why DY was so upset by her brother dating her best friend. That whole scene was just stupid to me. Again - everyone is a grownup.

Other than that, I loved their relationship.

As someone who was really intrigued in the murder mystery side especially after the tight first two episodes, it was quite disappointing for me. Melodrama is not my style so drama got boring for me where it seemed that nothing was happening plotwise.

Throughout the drama, I had the suspicion that Ian Chase and Choi Jung Min were the same person with a multiple personality disorder. This was because some of Ian Chase's personality characteristics were artificially imputed to Jung Min, as we saw in episode 15, because he was pretending to be his brother.

Part of the problem for me was that the authors and director wanted us to believe that Ian Chase grew up in the US. The character who credibly grew up in the US, KDJ's delightful hotel sidekick, had a very loud voice. It's our defining characteristic in the US, where people stand really far apart and bellow. (Compared to the rest of the world, I mean. It doesn't seem like that when you live here.)

Even after I knew that they were two distinct characters--one light, one dark, I guess?--there was still an element of self-hatred in their relationship for Ian, the dark, nameless twin. The scene where Ian beats Jung Min to try to get him to hit back was proof of concept of Yong Do's idea about bursts of violence being self-hatred. The writers' concept that Ian yearns to friends with Ja Dung and Yong Do was confusing. Was he wishing that he could have been like his brother? Ian provided his twin with someone to lean on, in a way that he himself had no one. Anyway, I found the evil twin plot (because that's what it was!) completely amazing, a total deconstruction of a trope.

I want to ask people who live in Korea whether the physical chemistry of KDJ and JYD seemed natural to you. That one scene on the roof where they put their arms around each other to head for the door to her apartment (and the bedroom) was mischievous. What did you think?

I guess I'm more on the quiet side for an American, lol. Not silent, but definitely not the bellowing type. ;)

I think a lot of dramas get it wrong when it comes to depicting characters being raised in different countries. But in this particular case, I don't have a problem with his quietness/soft-spoken voice.

Regarding Ian: I get the idea that he went back and forth between the U.S. and Korea. He was about upper-elementary-school-age when he left for the U.S. When he returns to find his brother, he is a high schooler. I am wondering if he went back and forth a few times. Perhaps that is why he doesn't seem too American. I don't know if that makes sense, but I guess I'm trying to find some explanations.

He describes himself as having always been the shadow of his brother. Looking at his personality type, it does not seem that disjointed for him to be a very quiet, withdrawn character (even if he did spend years in the U.S/). Maybe he never made friends, maybe he was ignored by others. I don't have much time to write now, but I might come back with something later.

Regarding the switching: was it still Choi Jung-min on that date with Da-jeong? I believe it was still the "good" twin at that moment, who got into her phone and deleted the picture. I know that the episode was a little confusing, but I do believe that it was Jung-min at that moment.

I really liked the mystery part at the beginning. But at the end, I'm still confused with the twins, I think Ian Chase could go away with his crimes pretty easily and the surgery plot was useless.

I really liked our couple! They mixed between very deep, sad and touching moments and very ones. They could make their relationship a little bit more mature during the last episode, like just real hugs (A Piece of your Mind had so many great hugs!).

Eun-Ha and little bro's relationship was pretty sudden and was kinda disapointed by Eun-Ha. I would have prefered they had the courage to tell to DJ.

At the end, I really liked how they adressed mental health issues, the advices they gave, how the characters could heal and become stronger together.

The actors were great!

I'm so confused with the twins, I'm still not sure what actually happened to who and when and why. Except Ian Chase went back to the US at the end so I guess he wasn't guilty of anything?

I think he was but they didn't have any evidences. So I guess, his punishment was his guilt about his brother's death.

This was a beautiful story. I actually sobbed twice during the last episode, both times when we saw the sorrow that Ian Chase was finally dealing with: that he would never get to apologize to his brother, and that he was regretting not being able to form a friendship with Da-jeong and Young-do. Da-jeong and Young-do both had a caring parent that made strong, loving decisions on their behalf when they were young. Ian and his brother never had that type of parental love. I think the story wrapped up well, leaving me with really hoping that this fictional character would be able to become a better person in the future.

Of course, I was happy for Young-do and Da-Jeong, and the other mature couples. The three remaining bachelors had more growing up to do, so I'm glad their relationship problems weren't neatly wrapped up.

Great drama!

It might or might not be the Seo Hyunjin fan in me talking but this is probably one of my top drama this year. It is definitely not without its flaws (the anticlimactic noble idiocy, the paralel murder subplot that basically has so little almost nothing to do with the main leads, etc) but honestly compared to the fun, the wamth, and the way it entertains? those flaws felt like something I could easily forgive them.

I think they did try to finally adress why the murder subplot was necessary, in the lecture where Youngdo talks about how their childhood affects their life, he did adress about the difference of their perspective on their (almost identical) childhood trauma and how they dealt with it. Though, I do still think the murder subplot was... well it's not entirely unnecessary but felt very separated.

But again, what this drama really does well is the little seemingly random interactions between its characters that felt anything but related to our story, but I mean isn't that what life is? You can be at the brink of insanity on one part of your life but is happy on another part. I mean not everything has to be about one thing. And i guess we felt it so much with this drama because it's really character driven. it's not so much to call it a slice of life but also I can't really seem to tell what the plot is. But again You are My Spring has always been blur about what they are, but they did excellent at whatever they did so I'm happy and satisfied.

Lol I think I easily forgave them for that Ep 15 being full of PPL. I mean, they did kinda pull back the PPL the last 14 episodes (except the pizzas and the cafe brand) and none of the PPL disturb the story flow so I'm happy. It did feel like the writer/director finished 14 episode and totally forgot about their PPL deal tho lmao. And I also appreciate that they put it the second to last instead of the last one.

Overall, I think everything about this drama is something I did not expect to enjoy THIS much. I was pretty pesimistic following the first 2 episodes and was ready to hate-watch it but dang, now I don't know what to do without them everyweek T_T

Ps. probably half of the hijinks happening in this drama happens because of Seungwon (whether when he actually is being a good friend or him just being him lol) and SHOUTOUT TO MY BOI SEUNGWON

I really enjoyed this drama, especially the psychological aspect of it. It was very well done and the dialogues were really healing. Anyone who has been through some degree of depression or went through a rough patch will be able to relate so much. How I wish I can have my own YD…

The murder mystery was never meant to be some complicated serial killer story or whatever. Ian Chase’s story was also told from a psychological point of view. If he had reached out to someone for help or changed his perspectives, he could have avoided the worst. We can choose to see the light or hide in the darkness, it’s a personal choice.

And I kinda liked the ending for the vet. The person you like may not like you but is in love with someone else. That’s life isn’t it, no everyone gets a happy ending in real life.

i want my own personal JYD puppy tooooo

When Young-do did his final radio show over that montage of small kindnesses rippling out to quietly make life better, I found that to be beautiful and profound. Regardless of any problems I had with this bipolar drama, this was its core and it was beautiful and heartwarming.
The quintessential healing drama.