Drama Hangout: Snowdrop
Snowdrop finally premiered this past weekend, and I’d say it’s half what I expected, and half what I didn’t? So many layers to unpack! The first, of course, is the momentous era in Korean history which the drama covers, and the baggage (for lack of a better word) that comes with fictionalizing that time period (or any really, as we’ve seen in the past).
Politics, historical accuracy, and poetic license aside, the drama also has to deal with the aesthetics and world-building of being a “period” piece. And while the fashion, tech, and the warm, brownish palette the drama captures are quite strong — and the drama indeed feels set in the past — it also feels a bit contrived, which is the struggle of making the recent past feel more like the real world, and less like theater.
Finally, there’s the cast. Jung Hae-in is as beautiful and swoony as ever, but his magic is his same old magic (I can’t believe I’m complaining about this). However, his performance successfully pulls in the very green Jisoo, who’s in our lead role, and hey, together they can make a tower of matches seem like an exciting romantic backdrop.
The drama has long episodes, tons of characters (so many great actors in these secondary roles!), and a strange set-up of storybook-esque dormitory of a women’s college, all with a hint of political danger. It wants to work, and I want it to work, but I’m not sure if it actually works yet.
Time will tell how the drama fares in the coming weeks — whether that’s plot, pacing, or even controversy — but whatever the case may be, this Drama Hangout is open for business.
Chat away in the thread below, but Beanie beware: spoilers may be rife.
- Premiere Watch: Bad and Crazy, Snowdrop, Bulgasal: Immortal Souls
- Blackpink’s Jisoo helps Jung Hae-in escape danger in Snowdrop
- Yoo Inna joins cast of JTBC’s Snowdrop
- Jung Hae-in considers joining Kim Hye-yoon and Jisoo in new JTBC drama by the SKY Castle team
- Drama Hangout: Bossam: Steal the Fate pt. 2
- Drama Hangout: Bossam: Steal the Fate
- Drama Hangout: Mouse
- Drama Hangout: Revolutionary Sisters
- Drama Hangout: River Where the Moon Rises