Open Thread #738

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

A month when you just have to clean your desk and watch whatever is seeking your attention. I have too much on plate as max. attention is on cricket.
Not much time for tv dramas and even movies - gonna use the same trick of start new say bye bye to the current ongoing ones.

I have to create the top 10 of 2021 too.

I have seen this so called korean actress (model for sure) making reaction videos. yeah. reaction videos. not bad. but i do find sns fro tiktok to reels to vines to clickbait titles horrible media all around.

reporters this year had it hard - I mostly follow twitter and even there few scientific platforms as well as journalists doing their job properly but then in between comes those kpop fanatics who just spam and try to overtake the trends.(in elections it worked against the proud boys) Too annoying and they have build an image of boorish harridans.

As for politics - Its not the season of calm - its time to brew new energy and that's how things unfold - Season starts from December and you ready the pitch in January and momentum builds up by February to make a point in spring season.

Mr. president is trying to sell democracy and look at his invitees. That's how the ball rolls in geo-politics. time is good - image makeover is good but would that turn into good outcome for your party as well is what you gonna see in spring to early summer.

How would you reflect on the 2021 drama world?

1. There were more drama outside the shows themselves. Parasocial fan behavior hit an extreme to the level that China began banning scandal celebrities and criminalizing fan behavior. There is nothing more sensational than an ex-girlfriend scorned from manipulative gaslighting to illegal abortion. Social media continues to be a web of fan wars, trolling and unsubstantiated rumor.

2. As for the kdramas, 2021’s overwhelming theme is that so many shows “could have been better.” They had all the elements, good actors but the story, the direction, the choices and/or ending was disappointing. It was also the year of dropping shows quicker than normal. NEVERTHELESS dropped after the first episode. REVOLUTIONARY SISTERS was dropped before the end of episode 1 because every main cast member was immediately unlikeable. OH MY LANDLORD was the worst offender.

3. It was also a year of watching older series. I really liked BEAUTIFUL WORLD and SCHOOL 2013. t WORLDS COLLIDE was supposed to be a different, insider point of view of TV dramas but it never hit full stride.

I get the impression there were a lot of good shows in 2021 but they were 'under the radar' shows that got overwhelmed by the mountain of high profile mediocre stuff. I know I watched some good series but I just can't recall their names!

Waves Hi Beanies. How's things? Anything fun planned for the weekend? I'm waiting for snowmageddon to hit here. Well, not really. I think the forecast is only for about six inches of snow and that's not apocalyptic just disruptive. So maybe I'll take this opportunity of procrastinating shoveling my driveway and try to finish another drama and get another bean.

I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the idea that it is winter on the other side of the world. It is so hot here. It’s 4.30am and I can’t sleep because of the humidity. (Which isn’t even that bad yet, which does not bode well for February when it will get really hot).

My weekend plans: we have in laws visiting for a pre Christmas Christmas. We haven’t seen them for ages, and I’ve been sick all week so the house is in a lovely state but I am too tired to care. I would far rather just huddle down and watch dramas. Do you have one in mind?

I hope you are feeling better, and don't worry about the state of your house. Instead, try to enjoy the visit with your inlaws. Send a little humidity this way because it's so dry here with the winter air that I'm yet again wondering why I can't buy lotion in five gallon buckets. My skin is screaming for moisture.

I'm considering either finishing Squid Game or catching up on Inspector Koo.

I second letting the house go; we are firm believers in "cleaning with a Yankee Candle", which is dimming the lights (to hide the mess) and lighting a scented candle. Works every time.....

I am putting all my faith in the ubiquitous pink balm as a first-line defense against winter. Plus, I'm a sucker for the adverts😜

Thanks :) I’m improving - well enough for guests anyway. I generally do just let the house go (/shovel the mess into the spare room and close the door!) but I find it hard with my mother in law because she will start doing things if she thinks it’s messy, and uh, we disagree on the way things should be done 😅 and I won’t be able to find anything for weeks.

I feel obliged to watch Squid Game but I have not yet been able to bring myself to do so. I haven’t really seen or heard much about Inspector Koo, any good?

I'd love a snowmageddon, I like shoveling snow. The small amount of snow that feel some weeks ago melted away in the rain come yesterday. And the forecast spells plus. =(
I hate winter limbo. Give me -15 and a meter of snow any day, I'm living in perpetual October.

My part of the country, an inch, or Heaven forbid a couple of inches, would be a major disaster calling for panic shopping, school closures, and the metropolis shutting down.

Good thing that only happens every ten years or so.

Enjoy the snow!

Let me guess. Texas? Hi from Colorado. We are having a blizzard in the mountains, over a foot of snow right now, another 10-12 inches on the way. But for us, the snow sports tourist state, it’s a blessing, we are in a drought.

Georgia.

Have fun with the snow, I miss it.

LOL I haven´t been on open thread for ages.
Im slacking off actually and making caricatures but I have 8 min of workday left.
glad I can leave before my boss does

Oh: Korean culture club! I am starting next week. We already have 6 guests lined up for the season, a writer who translated Azaleas into estonian, an expert on North Korea and more.
very exited that I can do this just as long as Zoom works properly.

uh, wish I could get an idol or actor to send a video greeting ...

Been hanging out with my mom! She came over to help me while I'm recovering from the surgeries, and she can't understand local TV, so I've been making up to her by watching together all the stuff she likes: The Crown and Bridgerton agogo, mostly. My kids are loving all the half-scripted shenanigans in New World, so we've been laughing and breezing through all the available episodes. They're becoming big Lee Seunggi fans - they also loved Twogether, and have wicked fun at all his cheating and lying 😂
With all this watching, I've had less time for dramas, but it's quite nice that we've got our little temporary 3 generation matriarchy 💚

So nice to get three generations together! Hope your recovery going well. I’m also enjoying New World though I’m not fully up to date as I’m watching with my sister and she’s been away.

Anyone else seen the highlight video for taejong yi bang won? I'm kind of excited now tbh. (And hopefully this will be successful and they'll do a non-taejong daeha drama next)

Hi Beanies! you like christmas movies? I've watch like 10 christmas movies this week and I don't even celebrate it! I don't know but december is my month to watch dumb cheesy movies without anyone's judgement. I've watch Single All The Way twice in two days. I said "awwww" the whole movie (both times), it was so light and cringeworthy... I loved it! I think my next move is Vanessa Hudgens and her switches or maybe some christmas action like Die hard or Home Alone, haha.

Home alone is my fav too! It just never gets old!

I know right? that is so much fun, I love it!

Happy weekend Beanies and keep Beaning On!

You know you are developing into an adult when snow stops being the equivalent of joy. I came to this sad conclusion while running errands this morning. Snow and feeling under the weather (ha!) are excellent excuses to barricade inside my warm and cozy room with blankets and some tea, so you know where to find me this weekend.😉

On second thought, don’t even bother, I am writing. There, I wrote it, so I must keep my word. Next week is filled to the brim with errands anyway, so ignoring my plans now and postponing them all to next week will not make much difference.😂

I should, however, start writing my Theme of the Month post, and catch up on the What We Are Watching thread I am weeks behind on, and possibly prepare some Round Up entries beforehand to free up time next week…Okay I am off now!✍🏻📜🪶

"You know you are developing into an adult when snow stops being the equivalent of joy."
If that's the case, I don't want to be adult, ever! Honestly!🤭

Beanies!!! I need drama recommendation for a 12yr old, so are there any dramas out there for kids to watch, without much violence and intense or intimate scenes? Like I can show him forest of secrets, even signal! Basically anything will do from action, fanatsy, superhero, comedy, detective!
I really need it cause my brother's bothering me a lot while watching dramas, he don't like me sitting and enjoying while he has nothing intresting to watch!!😅

The School series and the Reply series are universally appealing to any age group, maybe you could try one of those?

I think Racket Boys might be a good watch.

i second this!!!

Master's Sun, Flower Boy Next Door, Good Doctor, Dream High, 30 but 17, Terius Behind Me, Personal Taste, Protect the Boss, The Suspicious Housemaid, Welcome2Life, Be my dream family, School 2013...

Some school dramas contain suicide (or attemps), bullying and some unhealthy habits of study. I don't remember much of School 2013 just that I loved it and it was healing, but I think there was a suicide and bullying.

Another note: Sageuks have violence but I don't know if it is a lot... I remember watching Faith, Dae Jang Geum, etc with my mom when I was 11 and she said nothing, so I guess they're not that violent.

And in general you're pretty safe about intimate scenes. I've probably only watched like 3 intimate scenes in 10 years of dramas.

I'm going to recommend HEALER as a show a 12 year old kid might like. There might be a little bit of violence and intimacy but on the whole, the technology wins the "awe" for the viewer and I just think preteens would like it. (I'm a high school teacher by the way, so my opinion has a little bit of weight)

Day 11
No Sparkly Tracksuit

It occurred to me to ask - what color/pattern do you see for your sparkly track suit? The traditional one from Secret Garden? Or …?

Blue. It should be in blue. I think from memory there was more than one in Secret Garden, or one in different colours. I want the blue one. You can keep Mr Toothpicks, I just want his tracksuit. Virtually speaking.

Oh great, because I will take him, particularly sans track suits 👍🏼

Everyone wins then!

Hopefully its just a bit lost in travel.

Yes I blame Covid. There's a problem in the supply lines

Looking forward to my most favorite day of the year! 12.12 - my birthday! And I will be spending it doing pretty much nothing, which is equivalent to pigging out and watching shows or movies. 😂

Happy birthday for tomorrow! Enjoy your day!

Yay, thank you!