Our Beloved Summer: Episodes 3-4 Open Thread

As our leads are slowly coerced into participating in another documentary, we learn more about what makes them tick. With footage and flashbacks from the past, and a lot more developing story in the present, it’s becoming more clear what drew our couple together, and what is still lingering in the air between them.

EPISODES 3-4 WEECAP

I’m probably not the only one who was wondering how in the world Ji-woong was going to convince either party to participate in the reunion documentary. I don’t think I gave quite enough weight to Woong’s pettiness and hurt feelings, though, because in the end, that’s what does the trick.

Ji-woong tells a story from childhood when he and Woong were enemies. Woong shared a dish of patbingsoo with him, knowing it was secretly full of peaches, and knowing full well that Ji-woong was allergic. The catch? Woong is also allergic to peaches. The moral of the story is that he was willing to suffer in order to win. It’s arguably the single most important trait in any kind of warfare, and we see it easily win the conflict between Yeon-su and Woong over the documentary: Woong agrees solely because he knows Yeon-su would hate to do it. And thus, the docu filming begins.

At first, resistance is at an all-time high. Yeon-su does nothing but work. Woong does nothing but sit in the studio by night, and sleep on the couch by day. But Ji-woong is possibly as wily as Woong is, and I think the “problem” with this scenario is that they all know each other so long and so well, that they’re able to use the other person’s personalities and tendencies against them to eventually get what they want.

The story as it stands now is half a comedic battle of wills, and half a poignant look at relationships and love. All at the same time, the characters are fighting with each other, watching each other fight, watching each other confront their inner struggles, and actually undergoing those struggles — so many layers! Ji-woong is particularly interesting in that regard, because he’s forever observing from around the corner or behind the camera. He sees the conflict happening for Woong, in particular, not just as the PD that’s trying to craft a narrative, but as a friend that knows far too much history to be truly objective. It’s all quite complicated on the inside, but simple from the outside, which is my favorite sort of story ever.

Despite all the fighting that Woong and Yeon-su did in high school, there were sweet moments between them that only Woong saw (and he continues to cling to them, whether he knows it or not). We also see how despite Woong’s success, he’s kind of floundering. And now that Yeon-su is back in his life, he’s making all sorts of rash decisions based on ego, jealousy, and of course, his love for her, that we know he hasn’t be able to let go of.

The intersection of the documentary shoot and the Soen opening event seems written in the stars, and Ji-woong takes full advantage to document the situation as it unfolds. It seems in a way like he’s inadvertently chosen a great time to capture the lives of our leads: not only have they crossed paths again after five years, but they’re crossing paths on a daily basis in the neighborhood (drama happenstance) and at also work (thanks to Woong’s agreement to do the live drawing event).

In just four episodes we’ve learned so much about Woong and what makes him tick. He’s petty and childish but also sensitive and sweet — it’s as if he wants to be this big bold person who isn’t affected by Yeon-su’s reappearance in his life, but at every turn, the opposite is true. He’ll act nonchalant, but then the facade drops and he says things like the line that ends our episode: “You’re always the one who ruins me.”

Poor Woong also meets a horrible reversal as our episode ends — one moment he’s at the top of his game in his fancy new suit as artist Ko-oh. The next moment, he’s being antagonized by his rival Nu-a (cameo by Kwak Dong-yeon), and finds out that they’ve both been tapped for the live drawing event. It’s the lowest of blows, and Woong assumes that Yeon-su was behind it.

Despite the dire situation we leave Woong in, gosh the show is actually hilarious in spots. I laughed out loud way too many times over tiny moments that were hilarious in context, but probably wouldn’t stand up to a long explanation (like Woong’s fake sleeping lol). Suffice it to say, it’s mostly thanks to Choi Woo-shik and his great performance here.

While we’re getting to know Woong quite a bit, we know far less of Yeon-su. She’s certainly more sympathetic than when she was first presented to us, though, and I do like how her facade also drops in moments (case in point: trying not to text him after the plagiarism claim). Actually, she’s pretty quickly reverted back to caring about him and protecting him, much like we’ve seen in flashbacks from when they were dating. No matter how hard Yeon-su fights it, you can see there’s a little something in her eyes when Woong is around being floppy and cute. Can’t blame her.

Tags: , , , ,

It is somewhat ironic that Woong told Yeon-su in the break-up epilogue (Ep1) that she was always making conclusions herself without talking to him and he proceeded to do exactly that at the end of Ep4 (I'm going by how she didn't get a word out when he was asking her about Nu-a). Though Soen did not come off as professional because they should have made the changes to the live event clear to him (assuming they didn't send something to him that he ended up not reading).
This drama is funny, cute, really pretty, and Woong keeps hitting me with red flags. Perhaps if I know more about the two of them it will be different. But at the moment it comes off like Woong is blaming Yeon-su for him still having feelings for her and that really just his own personal problem. I almost don't want to know if his habit of suffering to make someone else suffer was common in their relationship, like he needed to "win" so he could never tell her he liked her? Here's to hoping there is some good growth in his character arc and I'm just misperceiving him.

And did this post get accidentally put under The King's Affection @missvictrix?

I'm quite enjoying this, despite telling myself I don't have the time! I love Choi Woo-shik and this reminds me, in some ways, of Hogu's love and he was perfect in that role.

It’s clear that she broke up with him because of his lack of sincerity or show of lack of sincerity. They both loved each other and clearly still do but their communication skills are as great as my cat telling me to f off when ironically, she comes over for a cuddle! Also I am finding Ji Ung a bit creepy. Like he somehow has contributed to the breakup without us knowing. Let’s see.

I think we'll later learn of some inciting incident to the breakup. Maybe some noble idiocy? Maybe something to do with Ji Ung? Who I also fear might turn out to be a creeper second lead, but I hope not. I really really hope not.

He is defo giving me the creepy vibe!

Not to defend Ji Ung, who also bothers me, but I wonder if his voyeurism is as @missvictrix says, one of the themes of this otherwise light and fun show. There's something a little creepy about the whole "put your private life on display" documentary theme. And the fact that Ji Ung is a participant as well as an observer might also be part of the commentary. One scene that really stood out to me was when Ji Ung was talking in the car with his pretty assistant who has a crush on him (I really hope they get together!) and the intern pops up in the back seat, having been in back all along listening. Maybe everybody is being observed in this new social media age? (P.S. I don't know what I'm talking about, actually--I just watch to see a passionate kiss or two between the leads!)

Woong is frustrating but lovable. Not sure about Yeon-su. Her persona is not so likeable, but as we've seen, she wears the persona like armor to protect herself from getting hurt.

I was glad and sad to see Kwak Dong-yeon's cameo. Glad because he's so good at these off-kilter characters. Sad because he should be playing the ML in some other drama.

I agree. Although Woong can be so frustrating, there is something very endearing about him. It’s hard to not like him! On the other hand, I don’t like Yeon-Su’s personality. She seems too uptight and closeted when it comes to emotions. I am pretty sure that later in show they will reveal how she has a kind heart and did nice things without it coming to people’s notice.

This is like i wrote this :) All of the above. Totally agree about KDY's cameo. Post Vincenzo.. eh WHY? Go romance JYB noona in some nice rom-com somewhere please. Thanks. I am still not totally sure about Yeon-su or KDM's portrayal of her. And Ji-Woong is .. creepyweird.. Is it the fault of the character or actor - we'll see. I will stay for Wooshik though. He is so wonderfully sloppy and charming.

I love this drama so much. This and red sleeve cuff are the dramas I look most forward to. There is lingering and unresolved feelings. So the question is why did she break up with him?Also their theme song is 🔥.

Wasn't because he never answered her endless questions by telling her how much he loved her? He showed her and showed her, but she needed to hear how precious she was to him and he wouldn't articulate that.

Maybe, I read that up above, but I don't think that is the only thing. For someone so straightforward even with her armor I figure she would have told him he wasn't sincere in the numerous breakups they had. There as something else.

I was not expecting the cameo of Kwak Dong-yeon, but of course he's the slimy copy cat artist. He's so good at these minor villain roles and always makes them seem so fun.

I'm enjoying this drama. It's pretty, the characters are not flat, and I'm enjoying this take on the whole first love reunited trope. I do hope it holds up until the end.

I'm surprised how extrem are the main leads. Woong is petty and childish and Yeon-Su protects herself behind big walls and never shows how she feels, even to her best friend.

I liked Woong with NJ, he was cute and nice, the scenes weren't full of resentment and pettiness like with Yeon-Su.

The point of what he hates her "I'm the only one who know this side of her". She just did what she wanted when she wanted. I didn't find that cute from her...

What exactly did she do what she wanted?
Most of the time they showed him wanting to spend time with hee she was working/doing school work. They don't have the same luxuries in life.

She could spend time with him, we saw all the what if scenes.

For the meal, she accepted to eat with him, he went to her university and she sent him back.

Ji woong is so mysterious! It’s hard to tell if he has a crush on Woong or Yeon su or there’s something totally different from what we are thinking. It will be nice to see the character unraveling later in the show.

I'm really liking the show. It is like a hot cup of coffee on a depressing winter morning. Yay to more warm dramas in winters just like last year's Run On. Plus it's so good that the episodes are ONLY an hour long or less. They fly by. Dramas please learn! YS and Choi Ung are both unlikeable individually honestly but likeable together. Plus I don't think Ji ung likes any of those but he envies Choi Ung's life for sure. As he said, he's an observer in their life which means he has always felt secondary to them. That can lead you to believe that you want things and situations like the person you envy but you don't necessarily need them. Which is why the dialogue from the writer stood out to me. Ji ung associated popularity to YS and thought he was just at the side but in reality he's his life's lead too. It's just that he doesn't know because he's busy pitying himself and being envious.

I am loving this drama. I love how petty they both are. I could relate so much when she went through her day like nothing happened and then went to cry alone in the bathroom. I think a lot of us can relate to that.I have to say, the timing of this drama is great. It is a great drama to watch in this cold, under the blankets. Take a break from the real world.

Love love love this one!
I think they have different language when it comes to love. Woong would simply show it but Yeonsoo needs to hear the statement.
The reason maybe the family background? Woong comes from a busy but fussy and loving parents, but Yeonsoo lives only with her grandma. Do we get to see what happened to her parents/other family members?
Woong is a bit childish, but openly express whatever he feels. So hard not to like him. Yeonsoo is on the mature side even in her younger days. Quiet, tight and keeps everything inside. When she cried quietly in the bathroom I teared up. For so many people, the pillow is the only witness of their tears.
They need to resolve this.
I can't wait to see how they slowly understand their differences and now that they are way more mature than 5 years ago, they can somehow work on it because clearly, they are still in love with each other.

I love hurting myself and I just knew there's so many things unsaid with the break up and Yeonsu's breakdown in her bathroom is just so damn hurtful that I can't stop rewatching it again and again.

Also a slight provocation from Woong actually had been affecting Yeonsu more than she tried to believe and her face at the end of the 4th episode is just pure pain

I don't find Ji woong as creepy as other people. I just think he's one of those people who just coast through & live through other people's lives. It probably started with him being around Woong & he's family, since it seems like he's family isn't around alot.

I'm 50/50 on if he had a crush on Yeon-su or not. Some scenes make it seem like that & some don't. I'm pretty sure he does love Woong as a friend & I don't think he would do anything to sabotage he's life. I actually think he wants them to get back together.

I think Ji Woong is more the type of person who blends in the background,like he has no presence somehow...Don't know if it's because of his more reserved personality or not but till now that is the vibe he gives me,like there are people who naturally shine while he is among those who fade and is blending making him invisible...
I'm on team that he likes Yeon-su but keept his feelings to himself...

Absolutely loving this one. The light, the cinematography, the Ost... everything is SO PRETTY. The two main characters are both very flawed and terrible in their on way... but I absolutely love them both. That's because they are very well written and the actors are pretty amazing.
Love how the documentary (present and past) makes everything more colpex and layered. It's the perfect way to make a quite common story very interesting. I'm just so very happy for this drama. YAY for great dramas that can be both really funny and deep.

This show is a gem. The filters they are filming it through is very deliberate. I kind of think it looks like a dream when they are filming certain scenes. But isn’t that what documentaries and reality shows sometimes are? Looking at your world through a softer lens. And probably because Woong is not the best historian and sometimes can’t distinguish what was real. I’m sure he thinks he liked her more, but we see that she stands up for him more. Ugh! Just be together already! My heart is doing flip flops here.

Ooof what a great drama!! Giving me all the feels~
For me, though of course Woong is the anchor of this drama, giving us all the laughs and the emotions, I empathize so much with Yeonsu. I'd disagree in that I think we actually do know quite a bit about her already, from the few notable scenes we've had. Of course, we don't why she broke up with him (I do fear it might be because of the dreaded noble idiocy...), or what's up with her family situation, but we know so well how she operates. In that, she's just a ~huge~ bottle of feelings~~ Everything, her hurt, her sadness, her happiness, her anger, she just stuffs it inside of her and doesn't show to anyone except those she trusts.
That flashback scene in the toilet where she made sure nobody, not even her grandma could hear her, I knew it was coming but it still hurt so much all the same! Ahhh so heartwrenching!
Anyways, I'll be waiting eagerly for the next episode...The flashback scenes are also so cute!
(and like someone else said, Choi Woo-shik here totally reminds me of Hogu's Love which was also great!)

You know what this drama is great at doing in my opinion is how the main characters Ji Ung & Koon Yeon Su actually yearn for each other by showing the exact opposite of how they act like. I don't think the break was as simple as lack of communication between Ung and Yeon su especially when we see the real Yeon Su breaking down though she is so good at hiding what she is going through. That's why i am really curious about Yeon su and feel so sad for her, coz though Ung also went through a really hard time , he had his friend and loved ones around him who were there for him, looked out for him and helped him but on other hand yeonsu didn't have anyone , she had to get through this alone like she always does by putting a strong front . I want to see Yeonsu s walls slowly breaking down and see her real emotions which we see bits of it when she was Ung , that she really cares and is really protective of people she loves but tries really hard not to show that she does . I am really curious about why they broke up , knowing yeonsu s personality till now, it is probably due to some noble idiocy. I am curious to find out and looking forward to next episode but i think there will be a lot of angst in the next episode which i am not a fan of . I hope ung finds out soon that yeonsu wasn't responsible for nua's addition to the love drawing event and that Yeonsu fought for Ji Ung to prove his allegations wrong

I’m loving this show! The bickering and pettiness is fun, the visual is gorgeous and i’m waiting to find out more about Yeon Su.

On another note, we really need a like button for posts! Pretty Please @dbstaff! @missvictrix ‘s writing is on point as always.