Tomorrow: Episodes 5-6

Interesting questions about destiny, fate, and what it truly means to honor a life are brought up this week as our reapers handle two different cases. While both show the cruelty of life and human suffering, both offer meaningful resolutions and a dose of hope. And we need both, because I was crying just as much as Jun-woong was.

EPISODES 5-6 WEECAP

Picking up where we left off last week, our reapers have a complicated case ahead of them: runaway soul HEO NA-YOUNG (Lee Noh-ah) is not only hiding from the Escort Team, but convinces our Risk Management reapers to let her help them save her husband, Woo-jin. We met this couple last week, saw their adorable love story, and then the accident that kills Na-young and leaves Woo-jin injured and suicidal.

As the team digs into his story they quickly realize that there are a few things that don’t add up — why is Woo-jin so dead set on blaming himself for her death? What has pushed him to the horrible extreme he is at? Well, we get his backstory to explain all of this, and it’s a real doozy.

Woo-jin’s mother died in childbirth, his father blamed and hated him, and then eventually committed suicide. Little Woo-jin (played by the most adorable little boy on earth) is taken in by loving family members and it seems like he’ll heal from his trauma… but then all three of them die in a car accident and he’s left — again — alone, guilt-ridden, and hopeless. His love story with Na-young we’ve seen, but now their end is even more cruel. Really?! She’s gonna die in an accident too?

You can’t blame Jun-woong for asking Ryeon WTH is going on with Woo-jin that he has met with so much suffering. He asks her if it’s karma from a past life catching up with him, but Ryeon calmly and beautifully explains that life is so much more complicated than that. A person’s life is not about fate or karma, but the web of choices and causes and effects that impact each person’s life — sometimes their own choices, and sometimes the choices of others.

Woo-jin’s story is heartbreaking and well-told, but the major takeaway for the wider story, I think, is that this is the first time we see Ryeon not only saving a person by myself, but that she does it through empathy. Even despite the ring of punishment she wears, and all the pain it causes her, she does what it takes to get through to Woo-jin.

This empathy works because it ties into the first solid hints of Ryeon’s backstory that we’re given. Though it’s short, the segment of Ryeon’s romance as a young Joseon bride is precious — they ripped a page from The King’s Affection, and gave us such a burst of innocent sweetness that it’s easy to see how losing that would be crushing to her. The eyeshadow moment was not only sweet, but drenched in meaning. Though we don’t fully understand the culminating event that sent Ryeon to Hell, we’ll surely see more of it later, and for now, it’s the empathy that’s important.

Woo-jin’s story concludes with him finding the hope to go on, and in the epilogue we’re retreated to a street performance of his song. It’s sad and beautiful and hopeful. Kang Seung-yoon really had his chance to shine here – not only with his acting, but this song that’s just perfect and makes the most of that voice of his.

But in addition to Woo-jin’s new will to live, we also leave with more knowledge — as with all of these cases, with each one we learn a little more about Jumadeung, the rules of the afterlife and of reapers, and more about our reapers’ pasts.

We’re also set up for some trouble to come, since in order to successfully save Woo-jin and complete her mission, Ryeon signs a very sobering reaper agreement with Joong-gil. When he decides the time and place, she’ll have to do his will in whatever capacity he wishes. It sounds a little hot — because there’s definitely something between them — but also, it’s not, because it’s brimming with foreshadowing and gulps for later on.

A final interesting bit of information from Woo-jin’s story is that his bond with Na-young is destined — we see this through the red thread of fate that binds theirs wrists — and Ryeon assures our very sad Jun-woong that no matter what, those two will always find their way back to each other. The only way they wouldn’t is if they broke the thread themselves. Jun-woong surmises that suicide would be the act to do that, and it not only makes their saving Woo-jin all the more important, but it certainly gives us some important context for later.

But there’s no time to linger, because the next case is already around the corner, and the Jade Emperor warns Ryeon that she’ll have to work closely with the Escort Team. It sounds like they’re in for more finger-snapping and supernatural fights, but actually, what we get is a very moving look at how reapers sometimes honor the souls they are taking away.

Their next soul to save is the precious 91-year-old veteran LEE YOUNG-CHUN (Jeon Mu-song) who’s planning to kill himself — but the catch is that he will actually die the following day. Our reaper team takes a different approach than the others we’ve seen, announcing their roles and intent, and actually wind up ministering to him more than anything else during his final day on earth.

Outside of beating up the jerkface gangsters that have the nerve to roughhouse such a precious old man, and helping him with his final junk collection, our reapers mostly just listen to him. And as they listen, we see his story played out, and boy is it ever a tear-jerker.

As a very young man he volunteered to fight for his country in the Korean War, but was left afterwards with severe PTSD, his mother deceased, and basically a life and suffering and poverty. It’s a bit of a slower pace than we’ve seen from the other side stories in the show so far, but I think that’s intentional. We feel the goodbyes he’s saying, the relief in sharing his story, and — yes — we are sobbing along with Jun-woong when the man finally meets his final day.

This whole storyline is precious in itself because it shows such a reverence for an elder’s life, and how it affects each of our reapers. Ryung-koo asks the Jade Emperor for mercy for him. Ryeon asks Joong-gil for a favor (!) — that he escort Young-chun himself to honor his life — and as for Jun-woong, he’s just a tall bucket of tears, and I love him even more.

The pinnacle moment is when the Young-chun dies, and at first we think it’s just the two femme fatale reapers coming to get him. But then Joong-gil walks up the hill, all elegance and sobriety. And then, just to make us all cry some more, the Jade Emperor also heads up the hill, followed by all of the reapers.

What we get, in effect, is a military-style funeral for him — everyone honoring his service to his country. After a lifetime of suffering, this soldier gets the respect and gratitude he deserves. He learns that his suffering was not in vain, that his life was indeed meaningful, and his service is finally recognized by hundreds of people lining his street. If there is ever a way to make me into a sputtering mess, it’s this. *Reaches for the tissues*

For a drama that’s so heavy on theatrics, fantasy, and mythology, this was just a lovely direction to go for this storyline. It’s also a great note to end on as well — with gratitude for the people that have come before us, who sacrificed for their country and its people, and who have suffered for doing what they knew was right and good. Let’s all go hug a grandpa or thank a veteran this week! ♥

Tags: , , , , ,

Woo-jin's story was so sad. He lost 3 families- his birth, adopted, and his wife. And the reveal that his wife swerved to protect him was just so sad. The red thread bit did bring me some peace knowing that they would be reunited one day.

Just when I thought that story was sad enough, we get veteran, Young-chun. I side-eyed a bit at how Ryeon showed him the glittering Seoul and how his life had meaning because his sacrifice had made it happen...especially since he had spent the 70 years after his return from war in poverty and oppression. I loved how Jun-woong posted about him on social media and brought closure from the Dong-chil story. Dong-chil's children and grandchildren would not have existed without Young-chun. And of course the final send-off made me cry lots. It is a standout case for not only this drama but for all kdramas with this sort of story-of-the-week storytellng. It was poignant and beautiful.

I though Koo Ryeon showing the granpa a view of the glowing city was a nice touch because he did not need the validation and recognition of others but a boost of confidence that the "choice" he made was worthy of his sacrifies

Thank You @missvictrix for this recap!

I'm just crying by reading the part of episode 6. This episode crushed me, I had tears flowing nonstop. It's been a long time since I cried like this for a drama.

Jeon Mu-song is such a good veteran actor. I loved him in this episode, very less scary than his role in The Guest.

I really liked the nod to The King's Affection with the Yeonmo Hamnida, even the music was similar.

Jun-woong is really us, asking the questions we are curious about like karma, why the old man had to live like this without help from the Jade Emperor, etc. I wonder if he will remember everything after the coma. I hope because he's learning so many important life lessons.

I'm so curious about Ryeon's past. I liked the flashback with the pink shadow and Joong-gil was the young boy? I wonder if they are connected, if she broke their connection by killing herself, aaah so many questions!

Visually this drama is really great.

"Lee So-Hyuk in his Grimp Reaper chief costume was so great! He reminded me the Shinigami in Bleach with their robe fluttering lightly around them."
THIS!!!
Didn't know who he remembered me till u said it...Totally see him part of the Bleach world!

Must say that i found intresting the approch the writer give to this world about fate,karma and the rules as we usually kinda encounter in this type of stories more or less the same formula of it in terms of how they are played...

Curious also about Ryun Gu story and how he meet Ryeon as we clearly see they respect and value each other dearly...

Yeah, the captains in Bleach had this cape or robe above their uniform. You could recognize them easily.

I liked the first "arc" of Bleach when they tried to save Ruka but after I dropped it. I just followed a little bit by curiosity.

" I wonder if they are connected, if she broke their connection by killing herself, aaah so many questions! "

She didn't, and that's one of the things I find so interesting in the unfolding of Ryeon's story. In the end of Ep2, in the scene with the Jade Emperor in Hell, there are two shots of her right wrist, with a red thread dangling from it. So I think she didn't commit suicide.

I saw it severed/cut,that's why it's actually dangling...In the present she just hides it under...
I'm more curious why the Jade Emperor approch/choose her,what made her that special in place of any other humans that ended up in Hell...

I was there with you, crying while watching the drama and then while reading the weecap. This drama touches my heart.

I do think, or at least I badly want to think that Ryeon and Joong Gil are connected. I have the feeling they are those kids, and she committed suicide, that's why she was in Hell, and that is also why Joong Gil is so strict about the subject. I keep thinking this drama reminds me of Mystic Pop Up Bar.

*ahem* the child actors have "Goo Ryeon (young)" and "Park Joong Gil (young)" listed on MDL so...

😂😂😂😂😂

That’s what happens when I don’t check MDL, and says a lot about my strong determination to make them together forever and never to part (quoting Rick Astley).

As much as I like that you confirmed our doubts, I do not like that you spoiled it for me! Please I want to simmer in the hot chemistry between Koo Ryeon and Joong Gil😭😭😭

Hey blame the YT comments ok hahaha I didn't know either till I went looking for ship mvs yesterday lol (cc: @eazal).
And tbh I think this just means one can enjoy the simmering that much more, don't you? :P

@sicarius Well, that would explain why Joon Gil seems to harbor a deep resentment towards Ryeon. I went on Asian Wiki and the child actor is listed as "mystery boy" lol

The YT comments seemed to suggest that one or both of them doesn't remember or doesn't know the other is their lost lover- I don't really know how much I feel like theorising but that would certainly make sense to me, if so.

I know someone said the Red String on her wrist hadn't been cut, but it also wasn't shown to be connected to anything like Yoon (Sorry Woo Jin) and Na Young's was so... meh we'll just wait and see.

@sicarius then more and more similar to MPUB. I’m loving it.

@eazal

The similarities at very least in set up between this and Mystic are undeniable as you and @miky88 commented ; the doomed lovers with a tragic history, a FL living out a punishment of sorts serving Heaven, and a puppyish younger supporting Male Lead, and all tied together and reconnected through their current service to Heaven again.
But I find Mystic so far to be the much better made, written and executed show.

For example, I think Sungjae is a much more convincing puppyish empathetic male lead, thrown into a world of the supernatural, than Rowoon is. This is unfortunately not helped by the fact that I used to like Rowoon, but - (possible unpopular opinions incoming, sorry Rowoon fans, really, I am)- there’s something in the way that he emotes as an actor that, increasingly with every drama of his I watch, just annoys me more and more. He is tall and very handsome, which makes him pretty to look at, but he doesn’t have much else going for him as an actor for me personally.
On top of that, I find he lacks screen presence, which, especially for someone who is 6 foot 2, is a bit weird, and also detrimental to his position in lead roles. Lee Soo Hyuk on the other hand grabs every scene he’s in and I lament with you and everyone else over his lack of dominant screen time.

@eazal cont.

The following mini essay is just me going off at a tangent about something that might not even happen, but do bear with, I have to get it off my chest, lol:

I also unfortunately just saw another YT comment theorizing another similarity to Mystic (SPOILERS FOR PEOPLE THAT HAVEN’T WATCHED)- that of Rowoon’s place in the story being Joong Gil and Ryeon’s unborn child. I personally hope this isn’t the case here- because I don’t think this show has earned that connection like Mystic did;
However, it is one of the things I find frustrating about Junwoong, that often after an episode has ended, I am left wondering what the point of his character is at all.
Other than to add a necessary layer of empathy-in-action to the RM team, there have been several cases where his presence has not been needed, either for the case or the plot. And at episode 6 it’s getting a bit dry in terms of engagement with his character, not knowing if there is any deeper reason the Director picked him, to give him the opportunity to stay and work whilst he’s in his coma. There seems to me, that there must be something more to him.
And yet we know nothing so far, and, I don’t want it to be the aforementioned theory.

In Mystic, every development, secret or reveal, no matter how predictable, felt like the most natural progression of the story- it was the story in its best form, it could be nothing else. But for Tomorrow, I feel this would be it at its most contrived yet; it only barely has the set up for Joong Gil and Ryeon to be done well as it is- (and arguably, fails even at that (as @emsel said, it has flow issues)- we see the potential so we latch onto it, but in execution of that story, it could undoubtedly be better) - let alone for a birth secret as well. I also don’t feel that the connection between Ryeon and Junwoong is that of a lost mother and child- Mystic set up the family themes very early on- it was an integral part of Sungjae’s character. But Junwoong already has a family. This narrative approach wouldn’t fit as well thematically here.
As Mystic shows, it’s not the concept itself I dislike, any trope done well is enjoyable- but whether this show can pull any of it off as confidently as Mystic did, tbh I have my doubts. (thank goodness the ship is so cracktastic.)

You look for ship videos too? (in general, not only for this drama) I wasn't expecting this :p

AHAHAHA oh my gosh Kurama... do I ever... 🤭🤭🤭
And whenever I need a fix I just go rewatch aalllll the HarixMinjoon videos kekeke

@sicarius now, I know why we will never see some posts we were waiting for 😂

Hari and Minjoon? Are you still hoping for a better ending for them? :p

Hahahahaha only partly cos of that, promise ;)
(Gonna run out of RyeonxJoongGil videos soon though, there aren't that many of them *sad face*)

From Mad Dog. And- Ani! Not really, I was pretty happy with their ending tbh. I'm just trash for them as a ship haha. And they have an amazing set of fanmvs lol, partly because like all their scenes were just 🤌🤌🤌

*cough-cough* we are legion…

It also reminds me a lot about Mystic Pop Up Bar.

I am fully on-board the Ryeon and Joong-gil were married in a past life train now. There is just too much emotion between them to not have a history.

Ep. 6 was the most moving story so far. Like everyone else I cried lots and just when I thought I was all cried out, the final farewell made me cry some more.

Well thank goodness @missvictrix is there to recap this.....is all I could say to myself when I was watching episode 6 yesterday.

Other episodes will need to work to live up to the emotional (and compassionate!) standard that all the characters essayed. I got really irritated during the small scene when a mother told her son that Young-chun was collecting trash because he didn't study hard enough. Definitely something I heard going up about what happens when you don't 'work hard enough'.

This episode also made me think about the ways in which we grieve and remember those lost to us. When my father was in a coma, I had no idea if he could hear me. And when he finally passed, Dad was surrounded by his family, holding his hand. Young-chun's last day on earth could have been his regular lonely hard day, but with the reapers giving him a glorious send off, he might have been the least lonely person at least in that moment. What happens to all those who pass with no-one to grieve for them or to hold their hand in those last moments?

Just an absolutely beautiful beautiful episode. Definitely will stay with me for a while.

Can't believe the eyeshadow had meaning, it always reminded me of Naruto xD

Seungyoon singing in the epilogue was a lovely addition. Then the veteran, cried lots of tears TT__TT

If there's something between Ryeon and Joong-gil, I'm all for it. Kinda want to read the webcomic to spoil myself.

Neener, you are reading my mind... I was about to google it to see if I was right about Ryeon and Joong-gil!

Did you find anything? I got sidetracked and read another webtoon instead 😅😅

I tried, but only find it up to episode 20 (Tree story), but according to Sic the child actors are listed as the young versions of them both, so…

…listed on MDL as their younger versions.

That's what I found as well.

Tried looking at Naver about the child actors but couldn't find anything but if that's the case...more than happy!

I find myself in rare disagreement with @missvictrix about the last episode, because I thought the veteran's story was just too heavy handed in its sentimental theme of sacrifice for the nation, especially with the whole line up of Grim reapers accompanying him to heaven with a swelling string accompaniment. It was really out of character with the show, which has had sweet individual stories, but has always asked some questions about them to counter the sentimentality.

I had questions about that veteran similar to questions asked about the other characters. Why was his decision to fight in the conflict between north and south the only life decision that counted for him? Why was his life destroyed by that decision, whereas the fellow soldier he saved,who was equally disabled, had a happy family? Wouldn't the emotionally cold Joong-gil have pointed out that there are hundreds of thousands of military veterans in the world, and what makes him so special that he deserves a full honor guard of grim reapers?

Obviously, he's supposed to be representative of all south korean veterans. But then again the extraordinary level of nationalist sentimentality made me extra skeptical. Would Seoul really not be there if he hadn't sacrificed? What about the U.S. involvement? Given the dynamics of the cold war at that time, and the complex nature of the North/South conflict, the Korean war wasn't a simple matter of veterans giving up their lives to save a free society.

Its not that I expect a fantasy K-drama about something else to get into these complexities in detail--it was just that the sentimentality was almost propagandistic, so that I started saying--"hey, wait a second...".

Anyway, there were a lot of ways this episode could have gone that for me would have been far more effective--for example, the whole issue of PTSD in veterans being ignored for decades (in the U.S. this was especially true of Korean War veterans--its not called the forgotten war here for nothing.) Or the neglect of the elderly, even someone who had dedicated himself to the country. These could have been accomplished without the salutes of grim reapers, and the excessive celebration of Republic of Korea patriotism, which again, I felt was just too much.

Same here. Felt this episode had been too contrived and yes, heavy handed especially 2nd hand of ep 6. I was on the brink of tears with the veteran's back story but it quickly dried up when scenes after scenes of the send off came and the "epic" soundtrack did not help. It felt too much like propaganda, as you said.

I agree with you, it was heavily patriotic. But I've seen so many US movies or episodes striking that same chord, I just thought "Oh, in SK too, then". And it always works on me, because _there are_ people who lived that way and never gain recognition. So once in a while, I think it doesn't hurt to pay tribute to them, even if I sigh a little to the not-so-subtle way to do so.

I agree @Frenchie. While some are reacting to korean patriotism as being 'heavy-handed', let's not forget that their past history even now threatens to replay on both sides of their Demilitarized Zone. Patriostism is still a passionate cause to Koreans because of the deep wounds suffered when South and North Korea clashed, splitting a country in two, but also tearing apart larger family connections sprawled across both sides of the border.
And worse still, that war has never been put to rest and relegated to the past. Families must still send their sons into mandatory military service for two years in order to keep Korea on alert and ready to protect their country if the flickering embers of war ever re-ignite. It's part of their national psyche that I could never comprehend as I go about life without that threat in my country. And THAT is heavy. So I would think this episode would resonate deeply with a korean audience who still knows the great sacrifice taken by every family in their country over the years to win peace and even now, work to keep it. Propaganda? Don't think so. Instead, from my experience, Koreans are naturally respectful to those who have come before, whether it's a table loaded with food that we often see in Dramas set up once a year to honour their ancestors, or remember a parent. There's also the deep filial piety they show their parents and the polite courtesies and rituals they share with each other, like the slight head bow or the different levels of speech they use according to their relationships.
And of course, along with each of these good characteristics there is also a shadow side too, as this great series is showing us. I don't think it's propaganda, I believe this story shows us how both the dark and the light gives us the whole picture of the soul. The story is from a webtoon written by Rama and comedy series writer Park Ran, along with two new writers. Not exactly the propaganda types to produce this.
I am loving this drama, and strangely, even enjoying the hurricanes of tears and tissues that keep storming through me. All very cathartic.

The war took him everything. When he came back home, he was alone, no more family. He tried to study but couldn't because of the PTSD. He couldn't find a good work, so he just survived like he could. But he never really lived.

His friend lost his leg but not his family. When Lee Young-Chun's words helped him to fight, his words made Lee Young-Chun suffered from guilt.

Of course, Seoul didn't help after, they had a war in the country! They needed to build back it. Almost the whole country fell.

PTSD? It's something a lot of countries ignored. He wasn't a professional soldat, but a civil who enlisted and went back to his civil life.

Joong-Gil admired Lee Young-Chun because he didn't fail during the war. He fought and his courage let people to live.

Now, I don't the point was to talk about the USA... Yeah, USA were there with the UNO countries but it's not about them.

The point I was making is that he already was a sympathetic figure--treat him like the other sympathetic figures in the show. For example, the way they handled the previous story about the wife dying and her ghost worrying about her husband was very sentimental, but still within the previous scope of the show.

The veteran's initial story was also very moving, totally realistic. All they needed to do was present that story, focus on the guy he saved, and have him meet his mother in heaven after beating up the disrespectful thugs The story would have been moving and would have been a tearjerker.

But by having several ostentatious salutes, treating him as if he was unique among the dying, because he made a sacrifice for his country, (rather than keep the focus on how he saved the life of a man that then went on to live a fulfilling life) they treated his death as if it was uniquely worthy of some sort of patriotic celebration, with a particularly soaring and emotional soundtrack, rather than celebrating his lonely life that was nevertheless lived with dignity.

But of course, I know that this is a fantasy with a fair number of holes in its world-logic, so I'm not going to be too hard on it for overplaying the thank you for your service veteran sentimentality, which is probably much more overused by advertising in the U.S. than in Korea.

Nobody said he was the only who suffers, they were very clear that war was awful.

They celebrated him in his death because nobody never did in his life. They showed him how he was a piece of the present. And it was beautiful.

Celebrating his lonely life? It's what they did too by respecting how he chose to live his last day, they accompagnied him, helped him and listened to him.

I am on this with you, the ending of ep 6 was grandoise in comparison with other episodes which took away some of the enjoyment because it was lovely until the point Jade Emporer appeared and shed a tear, which made me wonder, why this particular case blown out of proportions when everyone fights their own battle? I am not taking away the message that war veterans are forgotten and people take their freedom for granted, but for a story that resolved serious cases like bulling with a hug, a failure with a chicken, this one felt a bit overdone.

On another point, so many loved this episode that it would have been a good opportunity for the drama to show this as a second case to keep their ratings which sadly has been going down.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was trying to say! But, I do admit that I was really out of step with many people in my reaction to this episode. Maybe this episode will pull the ratings back up.
Regardless of how well it is written and executed, the show's heart is really in the right place, and it is a pretty interesting concept--use fantasy, and in the early episodes, some humor, to try to build sympathy and therapeutic support for those contemplating suicide. I'm going to continue to watch and see how it develops.

@hacja I had your same reaction to this episode and ended up fast forwarding the ending. Propagandist was the word I was thinking while watching too. I was so moved by the focus on a 91-year-old man's thoughts about suicide--and then disappointed with the turn.

Yes, overdone is the right word. Up to this point, it would have been still consistent with the previous stories. Anyway, maybe an epic ending like that was needed to boost viewership indeed. Will keep watching though, unless Jung woon just ends up annoying me more and more.

Thank you for the recap @missvictrix. These two episodes were so emotional and well acted. I was almost in tears watching the reapers gathered to send off Young-chun with the respect that he should've received in life. It makes me think of war veterans in my own country who have given so much in service to others.

I just came here right after watching ep 5 so I will limit my comment to that only.

The song Woojin sang in the epilogue lingers as I write this comment and I just feel immensely sad yet satisfied. I love how they were able to show the Woo Jin- Na Young love story from beginning to end plus Woo Jin's sad past within just 2 eps! That's great writing n directing right there n helped to a great extent by brilliant acting! Seungyoon really did shine and as a fan, I am proud to see his progress over the years. (Aside- I really love how he has consistently chosen these side characters instead of jumping into lead roles despite being offering some. He once mentioned how he wanted to hone his skills first n I respect that as so many idols jump into lead roles without having the required skills.)

We got a lil more glimpse into Koo Ryeon's past n I am hoping to see more of it in ep 6. Off to watch!

Kang Seung-yoon really portrayed his character well. I like that we are getting bits from Ryeon's past and I was so happy with the way she handled the case in episode 5. Progress.

I just wanted to hug Jun-woong in episode 6, I was crying ugly tears like him. I really loved this episode.

The styling for this drama is so on point!

Ps:I say this every week but Lee Soo-Hyuk is such an eye candy 😍 and he also looks good in brown!
I replayed the fight scene between Joong-Gil and Ryong-koo just for the visuals 😂

"Ryung-koo asks the Jade Emperor for mercy for him."

I think it's Joong Gil who asked the Jade Emperor before Go Ryeon, and it's fascinating when Jade Emperor said 'it's quite something for them to asked the same thing from her' (surely she knows something about their past relationship).

Talk about this weeks story, as much as I cried in ep 5 because Woojin and Nayoung (thumbs up for Seungyoon and No Ah who played this role beautifully), ep 6 made me cried harder. I can't imagine how sad it is to left the world without family and feel so regretful and meaningless in your whole life. Thanks to RM team esp Junwoong who acted so warmly to Young Chun. Not mention Joong Gil who showed us his other personality beside being a cold grim reaper.

Woo Jin's story was pure tragic and my heart really felt for him,he really had a miserable life...I guess we can see what promted Ryeon to sign that contract as she clearly saw the red string of fate tying this two together making her even more eager to save him from comitting the same mistake she had and severing her ties with her soulmate...

While Woojin story was pure tragedy i actually cried on episode 6 and consider it my favorite till now...It was sooo poignant and sad and made me so furios at the same time...He should have never lived in that poverty and treated like that when he gave so much of his life for protecting his country...I wanted to come and give a talk to that ignorant woman who made sure her kid will also have the same obtuse mind with her shallow talking...The way Joong-gil came and talked so smooth and full of respect on his last moments,dressed in his beautiful outfit moved me so much along all the grim reapers and the Jade Emperor in person to give him the respect and dignity he deserved in life was beautiful shown...

Curious also about Ryung Gu's story and how he meet Ryeon as we clearly see they respect and value each other dearly...

Unpopular opinion but Jung woon is starting to annoy me. Am not sure if it is the acting (I have nothing against Ro-woon) but his tears and his actions these episodes don't connect nor elicits empathy from me. And he just does not listen and has not learned anything. He just whines and pleads, promptly ignores everything that he has been warned about, needs to be rescued or puts his team in danger. In ep 5, he keeps on pleading to help Na Young and then when he learned it put Ryeon on danger he then again pleaded for Ryeon not to do something. In ep 6, he knows that the old man is already dying, and in fact in pain and suffering. He stepped out as he said he could not stand the pain but when the reapers showed up, he did not want them to take the old man's soul and pleaded for an extension. I know he is supposed to be the character that brings a change to how the grim reapers handle cases and the one who teaches them about being human, but so far, all he was doing lately is to show how humans can be annoyingly whiney.

It was the opposite for me😅. Jun-woong has annoyed me so much up until episode 5. In episode 6 I just wanted to hug him. It seems he's finally realising the weight of the grim reaper work

And then I'm both of you combined... I've found him vaguely tolerable to annoying the whole show... and also at times very superfluous... pffffft 😂😂😂.

😂😂😂 I get you

Whoops... Oh, @missvictrix, this weecap forgot to put this editor's note before the start of this weecap.

Editor’s note: This drama starts off each episode with a warning that it contains content about suicide, and though the message of the show is that suicide is never the answer, this topic is definitely not for everyone, so we’ll be putting this note at the start of our weecaps, too. And, if you ever need anyone to talk to, please know there’s a whole community here to support you.

Sorry, but for the next Tomorrow weecaps up to the end, it will put this editor's note before the start of each next weecaps up to the end.

Oh dear, I wanted to love this show so much. It has become mawkish and Hallmark and wasteful of so much talent.
Ain't none of us getting out of here alive. How a life is lived - the joys and the sorrows- are all we have. Every day, every way.
Show up, be kind and laugh a lot.

Don't mind me, just BAWLING MY EYES OUT over here, no big deal 😭🤍

I felt episode 6 (A Soul Becomes a Star) was just only a single episodic format. No part 1 and even part 2. I wouldn't believe that it was the first time Tomorrow had a special singular episode part. That's was also this episode I can't stop crying so much and this was my best episode ever! This episode was already saluted to not only Korean war veterans (especially the local Korean War vets out there), but one of the whole Kdramas that rarely featured the war veterans. I knew that Young-chun was a (locally) Korean War vet. I needed a totally big hug, show!

As for the American Korean War vets, as of September 30, 2020 (https://www.va.gov/vetdata/docs/Demographics/New_Vetpop_Model/Veterans_of_Korean_War.pdf), that there are only 1 million Korean War vets in the US, but in the next decade, the projection said the numbers of living American Korean War vets will fall off below 200,000. Sadly, there was only a few number of living American Korean War vets between 2040 and 2050 (where it will reach the 100th anniversary of the beginning of the Korean War).

Another recent example of the living Korean War veteran was Max Young, a Filipino Korean War vet (major) that struggled to be living from death. He was also the president of Philippine Expeditionary Force to Korea (PEFTOK) where former PEFTOK president and even a former Filipino president Fidel V. Ramos was now 93 yr. old. This year, Max Young will be 100 yr. old.

As of August 10, 2021, there were only 174 living PEFTOK troopers out of 7,420 Korean War vets.

I don't know why I'm watching this show.

..... It makes me CRY every time! D; Every episode.
EP 6 had me bawling the most. I spent like 3/4ths of the time in tears.

Lee Young Chun lived such a lonely life with no recognition about his service. I thought our trio were respectful and considerate to him on his final day and then Jun Woong took a modern step to try to ease Young Chun's' suffering. I really appreciated that.

EP 6 was a turning point for Jun Woong. I think he'll take the job more seriously. He's always been earnest and caring which is great. But he could also improve in being more efficient. I still want to see some humor to balance the heaviness of the subject matter.

I loved that Ryeon called Jun Woong their maknae btw~
So endearing. ^^

The epilogues this week weren't funny like before, but they capped off each episode perfectly.

Honestly, I'm really only just watching for Lee Soo Hyuk and because I've been shipping Ryeon and Joon Gil since Episode 1 loooool.

The rest of the show is not really working for me, unfortunately. Unless it's Yoon singing, I guess.

I feel exactly the same on all counts.

The writing overall isn't very strong so the backstory between Ryeon and Joon Gil probably won't be that compelling, but their chemistry is so good I'm sticking around for it anyway.

It may be that I also just don't like the structure of shows like this one, where every episode focuses on a character that we just met. Sometimes this works for me--I loved "Move to Heaven," for example--but "Tomorrow" just isn't pulling me in, except when LSH is on screen.

I feel a lot of the complaint with this drama has got to do with the flow of the story. They have a good material, solid casting and interesting premise, but they (editor or director) clearly did not invest time in watching the final cut to gauge the aspects of the story that would be compelling to the audience such as the story behind Koo Ryeon and Joong Gil.

I think my main complaints (that I haven't shared on here yet haha) are actually to do with the writing and the execution of the ideas- but the directing and flow isn't amazing either, especially, as you mentioned, for gauging things that are compelling to the audience.
As @laurensophie said, I'm most engaged when LSH is on screen, and hang out for his scenes, especially with Ryeon.
The story behind them, I doubt, is anything that new, (not that it means it can't be done well), but it is always a set up that that I find quite compelling, and their chemistry is enough to sell it otherwise.

But I have a bit of a tendency to be burnt by crackships, so uh, please don't, show haha

Lee soo hyuk and Professor Snape analogies 🥺

Also want more of Yoon Ji On character.
Loved him in Melodramatic and Memorist.

I was so emotional while watching episode 4. What made me sad was when grandpa took the junks to the yard and still gave the manager money.

My heart was heavy but watching the Reapers paying their respect was so beautiful.

I mean episode 6

I really like this drama and hot it finds the balance and puts tears in my eyes and then a smile in my face, although this weeks tears won the race.

I have already said it, but no one is going to make me believe other than Ryeon and Joong Gil were those two kids falling in love and getting married, separated by war. I said this because he said he had chosen the military and the way Joong Gil talked about the war...

I also need background on Ryung Gu. Who is the person he is looking for, what event made him that close to Ryeon to the point he follows her blindly.

As always, I didn't have enough LSH.

And I loved that epilogue with Yoon singing. His voice is magical.

@missvictrix Hahaha! We all did.

Everytime LSH has a walking scene in this drama it looks more like a ramp walk than a grim reaper appearing to collect dead souls. The director is milking him for every cent of his pay😂😂😂

As mentioned in earlier comments, this show could have seen higher ratings had it rearranged the cases so that people wouldn't view it as theraphy to suicide but as a show that points out what drives people to the end if the world and how much they are in pain.

For me episode 6 of TOMORROW joins episode 9 of CHICAGO TYPEWRITER (2017) for the emotional punch both dramas give showing the sacrifices so many young Koreans have made for their country which still is technically in a state of war.

I was crying big ugly tears by the end of ep. 6 (but was still able to appreciate the awesomeness of Joong-gi in his full Reaper regalia, striding up that hill... *sigh*). This episode felt like an intentional break from the previous ones and as @missvictrix pointed out, everything seemed to be slowed down, giving us time for deeper introspection. Yes, the ending was a bit heavy-handed on the patriotism, but my thought was that the old man represented every veteran that has been forgotten, and deserves recognition. And that even the Jade Emperor needed to be reminded of this fact. Rowoon "the Tall Bucket of Tears"... just keeps getting more huggable every week.

This episode was, well, I'm not going to lie, I spent the entire last half of this episode crying in my metaphorical beer.

Talk about hitting all the feels.

It also saved Lee So-Hyuk's character for me. I mean the guy is visually stunning in the role, but I was beginning to seriously dislike the role.

This is absolutely everything I watch Kdrama for.

Sidebar 1 on Ryong-koo. He was quite busy in episode 5, I am not 100 percent sure but I don’t think his alarm to ‘clock out’ went off in either episode5 or 6. I hope he gets ‘his’ episode to show us his back story which also goes back to Joseon I believe.
I see a Jun-woong/Ryong-koo bromance developing.

Sidebar 2. Ryeon said she was 420 years old thus if we go back from 2022 she was born during the reign of King Seonjo (1552-1608) but when we meet her as a married young lady it has to be in the time of King Seonjo’s son King Gwanghaegun whose reign lasted from 1608-1623 when he was deposed. It was a very unstable period in Joseon history.

I fully agree!! I think that this show could be thought of as just eye candy, but it is so far from just that! Again I think the story telling and writing make me feel like I’m a fly on the wall, balling my eyes out! Korean drama never disappoints and Netflix on point. Bravo!👏👏

What a wonderful, hearttouching episode. I absolutely loved the respect the old man was treated with, the sadness everyone felt about his losses and the heartship of his life. I came to love the show and this was the best episode so far.
Of course I cried rivers, but as long as it is for such lovingly told stories, I really don´t mind.