[Drama chat] Binge watch vs. live watch
There’s almost nothing like a good binge. Snuggled up with your blanket in front of your laptop and armed with snacks — a must, because dramas have a way of making people hungry. But live watching can be pretty exciting too. Catching all the action in real time and joining the league of fellow viewers to discuss the episodes on cool hangout spaces like Dramabeans (you know we’re the coolest).
Aside from filling my weekly dose of entertainment, I prefer to live watch because I’m not a fan of spoilers — specifically the big reveals. They haunt me, and rob me of the “OMG, I totally saw/did not see that coming!” moment when I eventually watch the episode. Some viewers don’t mind spoilers while piling up the episodes for a later binge, and might even prefer that to the suspense that comes with the weekly wait. I mean, who doesn’t want to immediately know what happens next after a cliffhanger? But for me, the suspense is part of the thrill. I want to build theories and agonize in uncertainty for the six days until the next episode is released. Or maybe I just like the anxiety. Heh.
Eight weeks of waiting on pins and needles for new episodes to drop makes my watching experience all the more rewarding especially when the drama actually sticks the landing. But the rate at which dramas divert course lately makes the binge model more appealing, as waiting to check the reviews after a drama ends can spare one the trouble of watching a dud.
Over to you, Beanies!
Would you rather binge watch or live watch a drama?
- [Drama chat] That one drama from 2022 that you missed
- [Drama chat] What are your hopes for dramas in 2023?
- [Drama chat] What was your favorite drama kiss of 2022?
- [Drama chat] One thing that dramas did in 2022 that you *didn’t* love
- [Drama chat] One thing that dramas did in 2022 that you loved
- [Drama chat] Oops, I dropped a drama (or twelve)
- [Drama chat] In season, or out of season?
- [Drama chat] The changing role of violence in K-dramas
- [Drama chat] Legal drama overdose
- [Drama chat] Dealing with disappointing endings
Tags: Drama Chat