[Drama chat] A beloved classic that I will not (re)watch

Drama classics — sigh! — they are classics for a reason, whether it’s because they pioneered a new format, introduced a new trope, shot an actor to fame, or anything in between. Sometimes, going back and watching the classics of K-drama is like jumping into a time machine.

But watching — or rewatching — these older dramas is not always recommended. Sometimes, they just date themselves too fast — whether by look or feel or content. Sometimes, the actors that were riding high at the time have since fallen from human decency. And other times — where I most often find myself — I don’t want to rewatch them because they’re too precious. The experience of watching that particular drama, and the little pocket of time which it represents, is something that’s dear to me, and doesn’t need to be mussed with courtesy of my 2023 sensibilities.

What’s a classic drama that you refuse to watch and why? Or, what’s a classic drama that you refuse to rewatch and why?

Disclaimer: For the purposes of this chat, we’ll call a “classic” anything that’s 10+ years old, so dramas from 2013 and prior.

Thanks to Beanies @darwi @attiton and more for the prompt. Let the chatting begin!

Tags:

Boys over flowers (and the 8 million subsequent remakes that followed)

I was literally about to write that! Mostly because when I think of classics, that's what comes to mind.

I think actually only one major remake followed the Korean BOF (we’re not mentioning the “American version” fjdjskdd). The OG Meteor Garden and Hana Yori Dango preceded it! And of course the original manga and anime.

Ah, wait, I am remembering there was a recent Thai version, wasn’t there?

Yeah ,the last one i remember was a Thai version and actually wasn't bad LOL

What American version?

Exactly…

It was a super low budget “remake” in like 2013 or so called “Boys Before Friends” lmaoooo, it was more a fan project than anything. I watched a bit back then and it was hilarious.

ohhhh, you don't want to go there, trust me LOL.

I'm not tempted to rewatch BoF as well (only the clips of Kim Bum and Kim Soeun perhaps), but I'm thinking to rewatch the Thai version one day.

I made it through 20 minutes of episode one of this before deciding it was absolutely, totally not my thing.

The correct way to watch BOF is to watch the first episode with Javabeans’ and Girlfriday’s commentary track and stop there.

My doctor told me I need to cut back on my cheese consumption because my cholesterol levels are way too high. So I won’t be watching this one again.

I don't know what is magical about a rich obnoxious guy falling for a financially unstable, but humble girl that viewers are drawn to it like moths attracted towards light. And this drama is not a one hit wonder because it keeps getting remade in numerous countries and still they all continue to uphold popularity whether the script has changes according to modern times or not.

I've actually yet to see a successful real life example of this beloved drama trope, super rich guy marrying a poor girl. It seems that chaebols mostly marry their own. Studies concur: rich people marry other rich people. Hate to break the news to young girls out there.

I see this one turn up in lots of recommended Kdramas but I've never been tempted to watch it. I'm not a fan of LMH.

This was the first show that came to mind for me, too. Nothing could induce me to watch even one minute of it. Everything - the concept, the cast, the characters, the plot - sounds awful like the opposite of anything that would interest me.

I'll never rewatch Secret Garden. I watched it early in my drama-watching days because I kept seeing references to some often-imitated scenes and classic tropes (and because Hyun Bin). I'm not sorry - it was educational - but once was enough for me to learn that I dislike most of those tropes, especially x1000 the obnoxious, overbearing, sexually-assaulting ML.

Secret Garden's on my list as well. I didn't even finish it the first time around now that I think about it.

I started Secret Garden because I was running low on currently airing dramas, but it is not worth watching even for the funny references. Rubbish drama! Thankfully I dropped after 3 or 4 episodes.

I second on the Secret Garden as well. I completely forgot about that one!

Every once in a while I try to watch that show because of all the references, but I've never been able to get more than a few minutes in, even with my usual tactic of skipping to newer episodes.

Same, I would never re-watch Boys over Flowers

Full House is a classic rom-com that I never liked, so I won't rewatch it.

I didn't specially like the origin of the story (how it's possible to sell the house of someone else?), I didn't like the couple. Everytime, they needed to show a cute moment of the couple, they would show their honeymoon when they even didn't know each other... I never was fan of both actors.

But I really liked the Thai remake :P

I liked the Thai remake as well. 🙂

So glad to know that i wasn't the only one who didn't like this one at all ...I also liked the Thai remake....

At least that drama had "it is do bad that it is laughable" costume for Rain. I had a kick watching his ugly attires.

It was also one of the few dramas where Song Hye Kyo actually had more than 1 emotion.

This is the one for me that I will never rewatch. I watched it in my early drama watching days because everyone kept mentioning it, and at that time I was obsessively finishing every drama "in case it got better". If I started it today it would be quickly dropped. I didn't like the ML, I didn't like them together as a couple, and I don't know how they even fell in love with each other. Had no idea there was a Thai remake, but my residual dislike the original will probably keep me from checking it out.

100% agree with you. Can`t believe i loved it when i was kid. Now that i`m adult, i realize main leads were so toxic with each other constantly arguing, belittling each other, and ML were arrogant, childish, FL doesn`t have self-confidence etc.

The only version of Full House I have really enjoyed is the Taiwanese very-loose remake Smiling Pasta.

It's old. I think I watched it but not 100% sure 😅

I liked the thai version. The house was really nice. I could feel and understand the characters falling in love in this one.

Coffee Prince is the classic drama I'll admit to committing never to watch. It's not that I don't know what it's about, and it's not that I haven't seen scenes here and there (the important ones, even)...it is that I know what it is about, and it is that I have seen some of the important scenes.

Nope. I'm going to require extreme sensitivity about this, and I'm afraid I am not willing to risk the pain of that not being present.

So, now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go get my heart broken by crappier contemporary dramas...

Ha, when I first watched Coffee Prince during my novice years as a k-addict, completely unaware of its hype, I was actually more interested in the secondary couple and their problems (and if I remember correctly, I may have found Coffee Prince because I actually followed Voice from a previous drama with him I watched 😆). Of course I then fell under the spell of Gong Yoo and, mainly, Yoon Eunhye (she is really great there), but what I wanted to say is there are other things outside the main couple which may be worth watching / interesting.

CP was my first introduction to Lee Sun Kyun and his marvelous voice. And his cute dog! I always pay attention to pets. The group of princes were also fun to watch. But the main draw here is of course Gong Yoo, always my bias!

I like his voice in small doses. There's an older actor who has a similar voice, and I've always wondered if they were father and son.

I did not enjoy the secondary couple because I was hating on the SFL's character who couldn't stick to a decision. I was lucky to have watched her in "Suits" before this drama, so I did not hate on the actor, but most of her old works had annoying SFL character.

I think it was because I was then in a phase of my life when I could understand their waverings and insecurities. Though I also admit it has been many years since I watched it and I don't remember the details.

(And, yes, I did start the drama because of Mr.Voice 😆🙈)

An interesting part of the documentary/reunion was when the cast members who were so young at the time said they didn't understand that second couple at all, but now that they're older they totally get it.

There are a few actresses who are such a fit for that annoying, clingy, (mostly) rich and entitled SFL character (and most use that annoying nasal voice to play these characters). You can replace one with another (characters as well as actresses) and not notice the difference. Not because these are not good actresses but the writing and direction compels them to act as per a template. Even those expressions (I call them constipated expression) are same.

The one from Coffee Prince and the one from Heartbeat/Let's eat. And all of them are talented if given a good role.

I rewatched the first few episodes of Coffee Prince recently... and was surprised at how well it held up. Really surprised. It didn't age much at all.

@technicat I remember disliking and being annoyed at the secondary couple's love story and finding both of them too dramatic/ridiculous. But during the rewatch, I had more tolerance and understanding for their situation this time around.

Same - as I grow older, I appreciate the complicated relation of the second couple better and can understand where they come from.

I also find CP ages quite well despite it being made in 2007. This can’t be said of many other dramas made around that time.

Out of context, as i grow older i find myself understanding Discovery of Love better too

I watched Coffee prince like 5 6 times. It gives me butterfly every time and make me swoon over Gong Yoo

I have to confess, there’s plenty of classics i never watched in the first place:

Boys Over Flower, Heirs, City Hunter, Faith
Wait..are they all Lee Min Ho’s dramas?

LOL!

😄😄
Though, Lee Minho was rather good in Faith.

So i’ve heard! When i was a novice watcher i saw him in Personal Taste, but i guess i never really warmed up to him. I only watched TKEM to join the fun with Beanies.

I found Personal Taste personally distasteful and didn’t finish it.

I genuinely like Faith. It was one of the funniest time travel dramas I've seen.
And the FL was super cool. She could be Tamy and Scarlet's old bestie.

I've only seen City Hunter from that list and I really wish that I hadn't. I think you've made a wise call . . .

Yup! After dropping it after Ep.3 or 4 , I went on to read JB & GB's recap of City Hunter and lauded myself for not continuing it.

Hehehe high 5!

I watched City Hunter a few months ago, and it was purely for the second male lead, Lee Joon Hyuk. I made it through most of it, but was surprised at how much I disliked Park Min Young's acting in this drama. I liked her in Healer, but something about the way she acted in City Hunter seemed unnatural and insincere.

ROFL! I actually have not watched any of these. But I have nothing against him. He was decent enough in the mermaid drama. And City Hunter is still on my watch list.

Is it only me or other beanies feel the same way too, but romance is not really a good choice for a rewatch and the prospect of rewatching a 40 something episodes of saeguk is becoming an impossible task these days, although I did rewatch Princess Hours, but It was like a decade ago and Dong Yi but mostly for some scenes only. Besides, as far as I can remember, older dramas weren’t as diverse as they are now. We're so pampered now to have many genres to choose and to rewatch.

I started my kdrama journey around 2004/2005 and used to rewatch romances back when there weren't as many choices. Now I have like 20+ dramas that I've been meaning to watch but never got around to. I find most romances of the older dramas tend to have an evil second female lead and a period of separation/misunderstanding and those scenes are frustrating to rewatch. Let's not forget all those wrist-grabs!

I do wonder if when doing a rewatch, some people just skip everything other than the cute OTP scenes - but that ends up being like a 40% rewatch. I like to rewatch some initial episodes of older romance dramas, particularly the meet-cutes.

Mine was around 2003? It was okay watching those back then when we didn't know any better, say Full House, Endless Love, All About Eve, Coffee Prince, Pasta, and many other I can't remember anymore. But now, none from the older classic romance I'm willing to rewatch at all. Very few I'd be willing to rewatch, ofc with the help of FF button.

This was around the time I started watching as well and my go to sight was mysoju.com. Those were the days of grainy video and out of sync subtitles, lol!

oh I almost forgot about mysoju.com!!!

We usually bought sets of DVDs.

Oh yes mysoju, my long-gone bestie 😅

I don't like to say "I will never"... but I'm quite sure that I don't want to watch Boys over Flowers.

Some months ago I watched Meteor Garden (2018) and I liked it, but I don't need to watch other adaptations.

Winter Sonata is a beloved classic, pioneered Hallyu, is one-half of the most successful seasons series, anointed Bae Yong-joon as Yon-sama... and yet was so boring. Even way back when meandering melodramas were the norm, it was still boring. It's definitely a classic drama that K-drama fans should watch once, but never watch again.

This generation was the definition of Hallyu. Bae Yong-joon was crazy popular overseas, even my mom is still crazy about him. LOL

I still like him and find him very attractive :">

He has a sexy voice, too.

But question is has your mom rewatched Winter Sonata?

She bought the DVD set, so yes. 😂

I'm from the new generation, I bought the Kim Samsoon DVD set. 😄

"Autumn in my Heart" was by far the better Faux-Incest-makjang between the two.

Bad dramas can be entertaining, regardless of their shortcomings, but being boring is the worst sin a drama can commit.

I really thought nothing could be more boring than Winter Sonata until I watched When the Time Stopped. LOL

Kim Hyun-joong's comeback project? I wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot pole.

I currently feel like that with AGE OF YOUTH. Perhaps it should’ve stayed in my memory, a treasure locked and concealed but alas I reopened it and wasn’t prepared for the floodgates. It hit different now, while I was similar in age as these characters when it first aired, now reflecting and noticing how much my twenties was about friendships, how real and imperfect and relatable all of them were and the bittersweet end…

That through all the pain and hurt, laughter and joy, tragedy and happiness. That even though we’ve been through everything together…

Life always gets in way…

That change is inevitable…

That not all friendships last…

It’s the feeling I get when I see the once lively street from ANSWER ME 1988 completely deserted and empty. The feeling of reading javabeans’ last post.

The loss of something precious and dear. That’s what rewatching AGE OF YOUTH felt like for me.

And I don’t think I can rewatch this series again. Ever.

I had the feeling that I hadn’t seen javabeans and girlfriday for a while, but I didn’t know about their leaving DB. I loved their writing style and sense of humor so much. Recently I saw @lecintel ask about the current owner of DB in an open thread, and I learnt that it’s no longer javabeans and girlfriday. So I did some google search and found javabeans final post. I got so emotional reading her post, and although I had been just a silent lurker on DB until recently, I still felt like something very dear to me, like part of my heart that is devoted to Kdrama watching, was leaving me together with javabeans and girlfriday.

But I wish them well. To me, it’s like everyone had their 20s that never comes back. And I’m also thankful to DB current admins, owners and volunteering recappers that keep the site running.

Would you mind sharing a link to that final post?

When I first joined the site, I looked it up a little, and I found this old article which implied the site was founded by Joseph Chang and James Sun.

Thank you. Very interesting. So those two were JB and GF I guess? Anyway, glad whoever has the reigns now has kept this wonderful corner of the Internet going.

@indyfan No, JB and GF are female. James Sun took over Dramabeans from JB and GF, and is the current owner of DB. And Joseph Chang is DB co-owner, I think.

Yes. They did seem female. I think the 2016 article I linked threw me off. I interpreted it as the boys starting the site. But you shouldn’t believe everything you read on the Internet (or at least my interpretation of it).

@indyfan

Javabeans (Sarah) started Dramabeans as a solo blogger. She recruited Girlfriday a couple or a few years later. HeadsNo2 joined them, and the DB minions grew from there.

@kiara Got it. Thank you.

I will not believe random news article from the Internet. 😀 Still, it’s curious…

Thanks so much for sharing this link. Reading the comments was like a roll call for beanies past. It was really surprising to see how many had been around since the start, how many had been pulled through tough times and how many are still popping up in the comments now 😊 I for one am very grateful the site is still going strong and the Beanie community despite the changes in the make up maintained the positive, intelligent, fun atmosphere that it seems has been present from the start.

I'm not convinced that Javabeans and Girlfriday have to be female. They could very well be the pen names of Joseph Chang and James Sun.

Uhhh, no. Javabeans and Girlfriday are very much female lol.

They have tons of podcasts, some videos, and there were Beanie meet-ups in the past. 😉

The 10 year anniversary celebration have pictures that show javabeans and girlfriday

There are about 9 YouTube videos of them on the Dramabeans channel.

I missed their podcasts, too. The drunken one, especially. 😂

ah, I stand corrected.

And JB and GF (and I think Heads) did appearances at several K-Con panels when that was a thing.

Yiikes that article is so offensive and misleading. Damn women really don’t get the credit do they?! As @kiara pointed out, dramabeans was created by javabeans in 2007 and it grew from there. Here is a link to a YouTube video of javabeans and girlfriday showing their humorous and fun banter

Thanks to you, @claire2009 @mindy @kiara and all.

And yes, that article did erase them unfortunately.

I feel so ancient now, it is sad that some people don’t even know who original creators of DB are, I do remember those days and their recaps and discussions, hope they are doing well wherever they are now

Princess Hours might fit the bill for me. I started it however long ago and never made it past the 2nd episode and I don't remember much of the 1st episode.

I was wondering why you didn't get to continue watching. Was it the story or something else? I was crazy about it back then.😄

It is really not worth continuing it. The FL's gradual development of love for the ML was equivalent of a stockholm syndrome and she had no choice over any matter in the palace. I don't understand it's popularity.

It's source material was one of the first truly hit romcom manhwas at the time where Japanese manga basically owned the market. It was more of a sensation than anything else. Super pretty cast (rookie JJH was as wooden as he was gorgeous lol) and heavy fanservice (arguably first real French kiss in a kdrama) didn't hurt either.

I don't know who JJH is but "as wooden as he was gorgeous" made me snort haha

Joo Ji Hoon. Which, btw, grew up to be an awesome actor most of us here, me included, love deeply. But that show was basically his debut and aside of "straight outta manhwa" looks and some impressive tongue skills he delivered nothing there.

I think Princess Hours (Goong) might be one you needed to watch at the time. I tried to watch it in, oh, maybe 2019? And got up to the scene where the female lead's parents sell her, SELL her, to the Royal Family and I noped right out.

I watched it all the way to the end and when I finally did, the only thought was "wanna my precious time back". That iconic kiss was great, yeah, but that's about it.

I wonder which classics introduced a new format or trope. It's so hard for me to even imagine unpaved drama terrain.

My first 3 kdramas were Boys over Flowers, Coffee Prince, and Secret Garden. When I watched them, I didn't know they were classics, I just thought they had the interesting plots. (I watched BOF cause I knew of the manga & adaptations)

Boys over flowers - terrible first watch and unimaginable for a second watch.
Heirs too, though I don't dislike it. But sometimes I do like watching a few clips. Considering 100% of the actors in Heirs have become massive stars, it's a go to series to see how they fared as young stars.

Since I didn't come to drama watching till 2016/17 I feel like I missed the true classics, so I've been slowly watching them. I can say for sure though, that I will never watch I'm Sorry I Love You again. It was a great watch, but I don't think I could put myself through that again. So sad, just so sad---and there are a bunch of classics like that----do they make weepers like that anymore......

What Happened in Bali is a classic I don't exactly regret watching (So Insung!), but I will never watch it again. There is too much makjangy suffering for my taste... and then that ending.

I remember watching it but didn't really like the plot.

I'm with you on this one. I was so into it when I watched it the first time! Then the ending happened and I just sat there stunned. I thought about rewatching it years later, but knowing what was ahead I just couldn't do it.

For me, the big weepy romantic melodramas like Winter Sonata would probably be at the top of my never-watch list - fatal diseases, fauxcest, & lots of crying just aren't my thing. Although who knows - maybe at some point I'll check one out just for the "experience". I'm not a makjang fan either, but somehow I made it through Sky Castle.

I didn't even watch Winter Sonata when all my friends were crazy about it. But most of dramas back then had similar tropes, didn't they? Take Endless Love/Autumn in My Heart and Sad Love Story for instance.

Reading through the comments, fellow beanies have mentioned almost all classics that would come to my mind.

Lee Min Ho shows: His hit shows happened during my long hiatus, so I wasn’t affected by his hype, at all. When I started watching Kdramas again, there were plenty other stars whose look was more appealing to me. To this day, I’ve never watched anything that has Lee Min Ho, including BoF, City Hunter, Heirs. And I probably never will, unless he stars next to my fav actor.

WINTER SONATA: I watched this show so many times already, but it was a long time ago. Melo is no longer my fav genre, and everything in this show happened so slowly, the way the female lead walks, talks, tilts her head… This show is actually very dated.

AUTUMN TALE: It’s just sad throughout. I don’t want to watch sad shows anymore. Song Hye Kyo, Song Seung Heon and Won Bin were all endearing in this show, I loved them.

Long shows, such as INFAMOUS CHIL PRINCESSES, EMPRESS KI: because they are just too long 😅

FULL HOUSE, SECRET GARDEN: I simply am not interested in the stories.

I have been told I should check out Infamous Chil Princesses but I can't even seriously consider it cause it's entirely too long when I was only interested in a supporting character.

And it probably has ALL the tropes I hate/can't stand.

Chil princesses used to be my happy place, whenever I needed an easy relaxing watch, I watched a couple of random episodes. There's no really evil character, but there're certain characters I don't like or care for. I think it's indeed a bit too long and there're plenty of better options now, so I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

There are quite a few classics that I loved but I will never rewatch, some of which have already been mentioned:
Boys Over Flowers - I would absolutely rewatch Hana Yori Dango but I didn't like the FL of BOF at ALL.
Coffee Prince - adored the leads but had zero interest in the second leads, plus there were aspects of the FL's character that irked me before, so I know I would have very little patience for her character now.
City Hall - disliked the FL at first, disliked the politics, disliked the adultery.
Full House - HATED the way the leads always yelled at each other, HATED the so-called friends and the way the FL put up with them and didn't fight back legally. But then, I guess there were wouldn't be a drama if she had.
9 Ends 2 Outs, What's Up Fox, and Attic Cat - were just okay compared to newer dramas with the same tropes.
Dal Ja's Spring - my intro to Lee Min Ki back in the day, but even then it was dated so no rewatching for me.
Goong/Princess Hours - didn't like it the first time, definitely would not watch it again.
My Girl - took several eps to get invested in the drama but ended up enjoying it. But the FL annoyed me enough at times that I don't want to rewatch it, even for Lee Jun Ki and Lee Dong Wook.
You're Beautiful and My Girlfriend is a Gumiho - LOVED both of them to bits when they aired and rewatched them several times back then. But now...I don't want to lose the feelings from back then so I won't rewatch them.
My Name is Kim Sam Soon - enjoyed the main romance and the leads, hated the SFL with a passion, so much that I never want to watch it again because of her.
Soulmate - another classic that was much recommended back when I first started watching Kdramas, but I hated the ending.

I quote you because I'm watching it these days:
“City Hall - disliked the FL at first, disliked the politics, disliked the adultery”.

I would add that I utterly dislike the main theme (OST) 🙉

"I feel like I've grown out of 'My Name is Kim Sam Soon," and "My Girl."
I still don't get the hype over BOF, etc. (shoot me.)

I actually still point people to Dal-ja’s Spring when they’re looking for more Lee Min-ki because it’s so fun to see him so young and green.

The datedness is what makes it fun!!

I tried My Girl for Lee Dong Wook but couldn't get into it.

I would say the pandemic classic, CRASH LANDING ON YOU, because it was the escapism locals and international viewers needed at the time but on a re-watch it probably will not hold up.

That's a good point - it was my first kdrama, as it was for so many people, and my experience of it was specific to that time and situation. For me that was late 2021, almost two years into an exhausting, frightening, and tragic pandemic, and those circumstances will never come again. I rewatched it once a few months after the first time (and loved it again then) but will probably not go back to it.

Watching it for the 2nd time and introducing it to may niece and her boyfriend in their twenties as their first kdrama...the magic is still there. They love it, and happily I've forgotten so many scenes that it feels new to me as well. It's a Gateway K-Drama which has worked for 4 other friends too.

Since we are considering dramas from 2013 and prior... I have only seen 7 dramas this old, and to not really plan to watch more as I find the global attitudes really dated (but not dated enough to be historically interesting).

I will not watch Coffee prince, Boys over flowers, Playful kiss, Reply 1997, Rooftop prince, City Hunder, Flower boy next door, Faith, My love from the star, Reply 1994 and The heirs.
I have no curiosity as why these dramas are famous, or I have some idea thanks to discussions on Dramabeans.

I seldom rewatch a drama, there so many that I have not seen. But I'll rewatch The Master's Sun with the slightest push.

I still think that the Reply series are worth watching. Especially if you already lived in those years.

Master's Sun I definitely want to rewatch!, warts and all, for the actors, and also for the OST.

having seen coffee prince twice only because of gong yoo, i will say, don't watch it LOL its claim to fame is a boy who turns out t be a girl (a popular trope in kdramas) and the lead has to deal with the complicated situation he's in when he realizes he's straight but in love with a "boy". it's cringey all around. and the girl is a tomboy but she's so disgusting. i mean, boys are "gross" but not that gross. she's worse. you're not missing out on anything special!

I was alive in 1994 and I remember these years. I believe that these are not the type of dramas that I appreciate.

There's a show that is rarely mentioned on DB, which is Glass Slippers (starring Kim Hyun Joo and So Ji Sub). It was a huge hit in my country when it aired. Is it considered a classic? Did anyone like it, fellow beanies?

This is the first I’m hearing about it. I’ve put it on my watchlist. Thanks for mentioning it!

I absolutely adore K-drama classics, and there are only a handful that I wouldn't want to revisit. Occasionally, it's because of the heavy subject matter that's too honest, brutal, and realistic, such as EYES of DAWN.

"Autumn in My Heart"
I don't know how I finished it, but I thought Song Hye-kyo was so beautiful.

Wow, you're such a fan of the classics!
Re SHK: She was beautiful, indeed although I like Choi Ji Woo a little more. Did you watch Full House, too? There was a noticeable change on her eyelid during that time.

I also love lots of older shows, although maybe because I'm also "older", I still think of shows from the 2000's as "recent". I will say though that some tropes and shows have aged better than others.

ILJIMAE. Do not be mistaken - I LOVE it, it made me lifelong LJG fan and I still stand by opinion that it's a very watchable show overall if you're into anime-ish campy action and laughing/crying your heart out with little to no pause in between... But I just feel like it won't be nearly as enjoyable for the second time (not the least thanks to disastrous ending that feels like a spit in the face, atrocious acting from both FLs and twists that only work once) and I want to keep rose-tinted in my memories, so I've never rewatched it for more than a decade and don't exactly plan to anytime soon, possibly ever.

There are also quite a few classic shows (mostly melos and some romcoms) that I never even tried and not going to, because I've been exposed enough to them anyway and thus know for sure those are everything I hate in a kdrama, so why bother? Like SECRET GARDEN - gosh, I've heard so much about it, it's freaking EVERYWHERE, I feel like I've seen the whole thing 10+ times already! Which is a terrible thing considering my strong allergy to both leads, plot and characters dynamics don't speak much to me either... You get it. Now if only I could've also unsee some dramas I was once naively convinced to watch "because they're classics, you MUST to!"and regretted it BADLY...

Haha, I live watched Secret Garden back in 2010/2011 and it was so addictive then. Those were the times when we watched raw without subtitles, then read Javabean's / Girfriday's recaps and a week later we watched again with subtitles from fansubbers. Times have changed...

Secret Garden was definitely one of those addictive dramas! IF you could make it past the ML's, uh, less appealing personality traits, let's say 😉. I don't think I could put up with watching a dude act that way towards a FL today.

I binge-watched it in 2022 for the first time and I can say it was really addictive.

Iljimae worked if you thought of it as an action comic, but I don’t particularly want to go through it again.

I was pretty high on shounen manga craze at the time and always loved Asian action cinema, so certain genre's rough edges didn't bother me at all. Some other things did tho.

Having only discovered dramas in recent years, I haven’t seen any of the older classics mentioned here. Although I did attempt to watch Heirs and couldn’t make it past the first several episodes.

There are so many newer great dramas I’ve seen, that I wouldn’t mind rewatching, but then I remember I still have so many others I haven’t seen yet and cannot justify the time spent for a rewatch. So many dramas, so little time. Sigh….

I started watching kdramas only in 2017 (I think), so I didn’t watch most of the classics mentioned here - and I’m not planning to, either. I have to admit, that the aesthetics of a production are a major selling point for dramas for me (I am shallow like that), and the older a drama is, of course the less polished it will look in comparison to what is being produced today. I found this so distracting even in trailers, that I couldn’t get myself to even start any of those dramas. There is also still so much of the current stuff I haven’t watched, and I do have limited free time, that I don’t regret placing those older dramas aside…

Plus and maybe even more pressing: I find that most of the „regular“ shows I have watched in the past really did not age well. There are some with serious issues considering misogyny, etc. etc. etc. (long and awful list), that just wouldn’t fly today, and for good reasons. I’m not planning to find out whether kdramas of those decades did better in that regard…

i only discovered kdramas this year and as of today i've seen 39! some i never finished and some i saw several times. i will not watch "boys over flowers" bc i can't stand lee min ho LOL

i did see "coffee prince" twice TWICE! but only because of goong yoo. and boy, it's awful. gong yoo's character pisses me off, the female lead is DISGUSTING. i get that she's suppose to be a tomboy but not even boys are as disgusting as she is! did they have to make her so gross? ack. i also can't stand the second leads, i get that they're supposed to be "mature" but for me there's no forgiving that girl's flighty behavior.

🥳Welcome to the DB comments section. It’s good to see you have been on a mission to share your thoughts across the posts👏

thanks! I've been lurking for a while reading episode guides, finally decided to come and chat!

Wow, you and I can’t be more different. I rewatched CP 3 times already, and I loved it more and more.

there are a lot of good things about coffee prince. the gay-not-gay emotional rollercoaster. the chemistry between the coffee shop boys (my favorite part). gong yoo's character growth. but... sigh. i can't stand the female lead/character. i like the fact that she was totally "anti vanity" and didn't care people thought she was a boy. but everytime she ate on screen my stomach churned. but i did see it twice! LOL

Talking of disgusting reminds me of INSPECTOR KOO. The introduction of Lee Young Ae's character was so disgusting, nay, revolting, that I barely made it to the end of ep 1 and dropped.

i have that on my to watch list... i guess i'll skip it!

it was ok, you should keep it on your list.

Lee Young-ae is soooo beautiful that I didn't find her disgusting at all and I also loved that drama.

I remember watching Inspector Koo but I don't remember any of the details or what happened, lol. This is the result of binge watching. But I remember thinking it was pretty good at the end.

I loved that one! :-D

This is not at all answering the prompt so I am sorry LOL.

Honestly, it makes me sad when some people refuse to watch dramas of a certain age.

Watching older dramas is like stepping through a time machine. There is something so cool about being able to see what veteran actors were up to in their early days. Seeing what South Korea looked like (through dramas, anyway) back then. Seeing the often hilarious fashion (AND HAIR) with the charming older production values.

If a current dramas seems “dated” it’s a turn-off to me, but it is not at all a turn-off when I’m watching an older drama because it’s a reflection of the times and I find that fascinating. It’s like history, even when it’s actually quite recent.

For me personally, the male leads can be the biggest hurdle in the romcoms—not all of them can be Kang Tae-bong! But even if I end up hating the male lead I still can have fun watching.

You're so right about the male lead often being the biggest hurdle with older dramas. It's almost always the main thing that gives me pause when considering a rewatch or suggesting a show to someone else. It took them a while to find that fine line between "arrogant yet endearing" and "an outright bully".