Love Song for Illusion: Episodes 1-16 (Drama Hangout)

Welcome to the Drama Hangout for historical fantasy drama Love Song for Illusion, where Park Ji-hoon is a crown prince with two personalities, and both of them just might be in love with assassin Hong Ye-ji.

This is your place to chat about the drama as it airs. But stay tuned — we’ll have an opening review coming soon!

Beware of spoilers! This thread is for discussing the entire series.

Tags: ,

I finished it too!

I want to say that the last episode was quite good 😳
At least it was better than I expected. The pace was fast and there were some surprises.

This drama had a clear slump around episodes 9 and 12, but at least 13-16 left me with a better impression.

Park Ji Hoon now has to take care of his throat. Poor thing.

It was crazy how these episodes zipped by haha. I was like "what! It's only 20 minutes left?! How?!" Haha

And seriously with his throat haha

He went from playing a character who barely raises his voice to tortured screams. He might not have even used his throat like that during his idol stuff haha.

And I imagine it's tiring/draining to be yelling like that. There was also the time when he had to writhe in pain on the floor while screaming

I wonder how many takes he had to do for those scenes. Also, as a singer, he has to take special care of his voice.

Oh... despite the final episode's bloodbath and this Kdrama's disappointed mediocre and poor ratings, the kissing scene at the end of ep 16 was good for me alongside with this song from OST -- Kim Jae-hwan's Be My Wind.

I never read the source material for this drama, so I wasn't aware that Ak-hee was an alter of Sajo Hyun. My mom was watching with me and kept saying that both characters were the same person. I thought that that might be a possibility, but I also took things at face value: Ak-hee was simply a spirit that entered Hyun. One could definitely read the whole situation as a metaphor for split personality, or Dissociative Identity Disorder, as the spirit (alter) appeared after Hyun experienced a particularly traumatic event. I would have preferred at metaphorical approach to this topic instead of a literal case of DID.

All that being said, I believe that too many things was saved for the end: the realization on Hyun's part that he and Ak-hee were one and the same; the explanation for why Ak-hee feels pain when touching Kyera; and the defeat of Sajo Yoong. I wish Hyun would have begun to question the origins of Ak-hee earlier in the story. It's like the writer made his amnesia the catalyst for beginning to question things.

Another rushed reveal: that Chung-ta was aware that Ak-hee wasn't actually a spirit and that Chung-ta will now go around searching for other similarly traumatized individuals who suffer from DID (side note: the show didn't actually use that terminology, it might have used split personalities or alters; I can't remember). I wish there would have been some lead up or even small hint to that other reveal about Chung-ta.

I did enjoy most of the drama, mostly because of Park Ji-hoon's performance. And I also because I liked the magical elements. I would like to see Park Ji-hoon in more serious sageuk fare. I believe he is truly talented.

Also, I did laugh when watching Sajo Yoong on screen. That man had a serious God-complex until the end. And I truly wonder if there was a shred of love on his part towards his mother. If it existed at all, it was subordinate to his single-minded goal.

*And I also liked the magical elements.

What I understood is that Ak-hee was an evil spirit created by Hyun after his first traumatic experience. So he wasn't a pre-existent entity.
The show left several loose ends. One of them is what you mentioned about Ak-hee feeling pain (or burning himself) when he touched Kyera. Maybe it is said in the source material.

"...Ak-hee was an evil spirit created by Hyun after his first traumatic experience. So he wasn't a pre-existent entity."

Yes, I believe that is how it was explained in the finale.

I'm honestly confused by what exactly Ak Hee was because wasn't some aspect of him still around when Hyun & Yeon Wol married?

And I don't understand why Ak Hee felt pain touching Yeon Wol but no one else. Was it because Yeon Wol, Ak Hee was waiting too much and for whatever reason Hyun's something was like "nah bro"?

Waow, this drama was a disaster from the beginning to the end.

Between the set-up of the story and the characters and what they really gave us, there was really big gap. The FL was described as an assinssin but she spent her time to heal people at the Palace. The 2 different personalities weren't so different and Park Ji-Hoon didn't bring anything to separate them. I never understood what the characters were trying to do...

The OST was nice, it's the only positive point.

I wouldn't say he didn't bring anything to separate them. There was his manner of speaking, the physicality, and the way his eyes were when play both roles

I think that's way less apparent in the final episode since he was Hyun pretending to be Ak Hee (except for some moments when he's clearly holding back some emotional reactions such as when watching the head minster and Yoong's showdown play out or when trying to bait Yoong into confessing the murder)

Personally, I saw nothing. For it, if they didn't who he was, I had no idea if it was Ak-Hee or the King. He had no charism neither.

Finished it, and I'm still not sure why. There was something compelling about it, but what...??? But I join the line of fans of the OST: Klang's contribution has been swirling around my head for weeks.