Beanie level: CEO’s overworked secretary

I miss Ki Seon Gyeom. *sigh*

4
0

besides the fact that this episode was unnecesSarILY depressing, STOP THIS MELONA ABUSE WOULD YOU. IT’S A CRIME.
#100WonButler

9
3

    Heartbreakingly cruel.

    0
    1

      At least it was sp. melona vulgaris and not the elusive coconut? (Which I finally obtained today after a trip to H Mart.) But yes, this was a terribly sad moment in an episode that went far too far to the weepy side.

      1
      1

And now The Tree Only because I spent like 8hrs on those flames alone and then dreamed of them incessantly for a minimum of two nights *ahem*

21
4

In case you were wondering why the tree was sideways, or what the second panel was shitposting/referencing, in the first post.
I’m not actually that much of a Kim Hee Won fan tbh, for other reasons, and having now seen three of her shows and hated all of them to varying extents, but she was fun to shitpost lel

https://koreandragon.tumblr.com/post/698125499620376576/little-women-2022-and-vincenzo-2021-dir-kim

7
0

LITTLE WOMEN FINALE SH👠TPOST:

Dear Sicarius,

Malta is great, thanks for asking. I took a trip to Greece just last week with Carrot Girl to visit Do Il and In Joo. They’re doing well and send their regards. I have also begun my Time Travelling training. I know you don’t approve of it, but it must be done; it is very grueling.

I heard the finale of Little Women this week thought that Hydrochloric Acid was enough of a satisfying dramatic ending for a certain cursΓ©d orchid tree; I completely agree with you that it was most emphatically not, rather depressingly anti-climactic instead, and have thus enclosed a gift, just for you, to make up for it.
I know you will use it wisely. 😉

Send my love to Magic Horse, and take care of Bead Boy and Kwak Dong Yeon,

Yours in Christ,

Carrot Boy 🔥

13
3

    I haven’t watched Little Women yet, but I will soon. I have to say, without knowing anything about the drama, this is beautifully brilliant sicci. I am also delighted that Magic Horse and Bead Boy have a life of their own. I wonder about Carrot Boy though, I hope celebrity isn’t spoiling him, and of course, Kwak Dong Yeon will always have a special place in my heart.

    1
    1

Hey! That’s my line!!!!!

8
0

Oi nah, just drop us a 3Kingdoms Sageuk already, would you, tvN! (Except not necessarily this one unless you give him the right kind of sword for the era and he also starts cleaning it before sheathing it… *ahem*)
#LoveinContract6

p.s. gonna go avoid dB now till I’ve watched Glitch, bye~

11
3

    I keep thinking the production crew want to show off their skills in other genres so drop these little drama scenes into these kinds of dramas its almost like their version of PPL.

    3
    0

    The public channels are much better with 3 kingdoms era sageuks than tvn. Early JTBC could have done it with Jung Ha Yeon but he retired.

    1
    0

    ‘This is a tribute to Moo-yeon who fought so bravely in 100 Days My Prince.’
    That’s my first thought when I watched this scene. Trust me when I say I was kinda jolted for a few seconds. I had forgotten Hae-jin was an actor.

    2
    0

I am disappointed. The previous one didn’t have the TINY HEAD CARESS. Unacceptable. So sharing this one too because it does have it *unintelligible noises about hands and also someone give Wi Ha Joon’s stylist for this show a RAISE*

https://choidoil.tumblr.com/post/696939740083191808/you-are-in-danger-too-we-need-a-plan-before-we

12
1

    Damn so much to catch up on n spoilers to avoid. But i know i NEED WHJ in a swoony romcom asap!

    2
    0
4
2

If they don\’t set that frakking orchid tree on fire by the end of the show, I will do it myself.
#LittleWomen

14
4

I told you he was a judge. Lol.

6
17

    Oh, I forgot it was the night for that show, thanks 🤗

    0
    0

    Lol I was sure he would be.

    The new question I have is why is everyone so relaxed about a woman being attacked in the street? Apparently just normal, no need to even suggest calling police. 🧐

    2
    1

      Not only is everyone else relaxed about it but she herself is not running to the police or even telling everyone she chatted to about. She was almost willing to reject an escort when she didn’t know if the attacker was still lurking around to finish her off. Then she was going to hang around waiting for a taxi? I thought it was odd she didn’t call her friend to pick her up and that she just left her stuff in the actor’s apartment even if she wasn’t going to use it as evidence that was just rude.

      0
      1

        Yeah I get that she’s supposed to be extremely messy but who just leaves their stuff? And why did he not ask where all her things were when she left?

        I really didn’t like her in this episode, also when she got all upset with Mr Judge for saying that in some offender’s minds the victims deserve to be attacked. It’s not like he said he thought that!

        2
        2

          This show aint got NO logic beffels. I’m not asking you to ignore it if you can’t but like… it’s kind of really dumb like that.
          And yeah- he was just stating the facts lol.

          2
          0

          Yes, I didn’t like her so much that I was thinking she might make it into my β€œhated characters you ended up loving” list, but she’d have to go an awfully far way to make me like her 😒

          This episode was annoyingly dumb.

          2
          1

            After Why her I will be able to endure this for the bean but seriously the whole show is going to have to fix up to be even an ok watch it’s so bad.

            1
            0

    I nearly sent you a message to say well done and I loved how my point re the issues of co working were highlighted too.

    2
    1

      Hehe yay!
      I’m glad they bought up the thing about his co-workers but I thought the extremity of the reactions to it was a bit overdone.
      Plenty of people in high profile, or highly spe-cial-ised (curse that being an inappropriate word), jobs are not very personable or easy to get along with but that’s not enough reason to fire them??
      Can’t he just be awkward and weird?
      Why does that always have to be painted as an overly negative thing.
      You might have a different view on this though haha.

      2
      2

        I agree lots of rude people in real life are tolerated because there is no law against it! They just get ignored. People would keep communication short and essential only and would follow him in to the room if it was important and they needed to make sure he heard it to cover themselves or they would communicate in writing.

        1
        1

        As a boss, you have some responsabilties and recognizing the people who work for you is one of them… The fact there are worse than him is not excuse. He doesn’t work in the private sector neither. The minimum of politess is important but they had to tell him to say “hello”.

        Honestly, I don’t understand what he is doing in a Family court in first trial, he should work in the appeal court and not meeting people but working on files.

        2
        1

          Yeah, I get your point about it being not a worthy excuse.
          I just think there’s a difference between “oh he’s rude and should be fired for forgetting to say hello” and “oh he’s extremely socially awkward to the point of being literally adept at this”, and that if the writing was better you could add more nuance to the situation and his character without outright condemning the latter?

          2
          0

    Y u no drop?

    Why are you continuing this drama?

    1
    3

      For me I want some beans at the end of the year and there are so few shows to include if I eliminate from that small pile I will have earned very few beans of enjoyment since Shooting stars. I have some nice shows to balance things out Seasons of blossom is absolutely gorgeous and other shows have been funny so I am prepared to sit through this.

      1
      0

      Trashy rom com watch that fills a hole right now lmao
      Also I like the ML enough.
      I expect I’ll drop at episode 8 or there abouts 😂😂😂

      1
      0

      Go Kyung Po, that’s it 🤷‍♀️ His deadpan non-reactions keep me entertained so far.

      2
      0

No stop my weakness is people being pedantic about random scientific crap completely uncalled for because *I* am that person he’s so annoying help lmfaooooo
(also… technically BOTH are moving but eh)
#LawCafe8

8
0

Yes I scoured like all of tumblr for all adamas gif content and there still wasn’t enough. (why are there like five full gif sets for Sun and less than one for Seohee, the audacity) kay think that’s all for now lol

https://moonlightsdream.tumblr.com/post/695535096176967680/dramas-in2022adamas-tvn-2022-dir-park-seung

8
0

Just realising how much of the colour grading in this was apparently soft mint and dark greens and reds. hmmmm yis. good combo

https://i-got-the-feels.tumblr.com/post/693201050548748288/favorite-cinematography-shots-episode-7

8
1

    I absolutely loved those stone domes!! if I had acres of land I would probably want stone domes.. lol.
    Yes, the show had a beautiful dark yet not too dark vibe and was shot really well.

    2
    0

Anyway the framing in this show was Immaculate. So don’t mind me whilst I mini spam.

https://i-got-the-feels.tumblr.com/post/691832015647064064/favorite-cinematography-shots-episode-3-and

7
0

Posting on here as well because it became long enough to be considered an essay and therefore is required for archival and bookmarking purposes. *n.b. last episode context probably required*

.
.
.

ADAMAS FINAL: COMMENTARY and REVIEW (of sorts)

.
.
.

I think I’m going to have to say that the ending is unsatisfying for me.

β€œFairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
– Neil Gaiman (who in turn paraphrases the original G. K. Chesterton quote that I will put at the very bottom of this)

Sometimes, a story’s purpose is to leave you with the message that the fight against the dragon is a constant and ongoing battle, but it is a noble battle that must be fought, over and over again, if necessary, nonetheless. And that’s fine.
But sometimes your story should just let the dragon be beaten, and properly, wholly defeated, as the end note instead. And that’s also fine, because that’s what fiction is for.
For me, this show should’ve been the latter, rather than the former.

Although Woosin’s comments to Seohee about constantly fighting for truth are not WRONG, I felt the show had better set up for a proper takedown, and indeed would’ve been more narratively satisfying if so, than a β€œwell the battle is fought (or is it though) but the war is not over” approach, instead, and used Haesong as the metaphorical dragon to instill a sense of hope and fulfillment in both the characters and the audience.
You can do that you know; you don’t HAVE to torture your characters for all eternity. You don’t have to succumb to a kind of (purportedly) inevitable meaninglessness or cynicism.

I think it would’ve been stronger for this.
To end on a note of true defeat for Haesong, and for the Twins and Seohee on a note of peace, or the beginning of finding peace.

I think this would’ve made the Twins’ (and Seohee’s) fight, for each other, their adoptive father, their real father, and all the people that died on the way more worthwhile; why leave Seohee and Woosin fumbling to pick up the pieces (which aren’t even necessary if Soohyun isn’t dead) at all. Why not give them a moment of respite, that the dragon has been beaten, not without sacrifice, but still beaten, and then they can go and nurse their wounds and each other’s?

And similarly, I think I would’ve given this kind of ending to, and favored this for Hye-soo also.
As interesting in some ways as it is for her to decide to steal Haesong from those who have wronged her and her dead lover, instead of being its downfall, I think I would’ve preferred overall had she stolen it from out under the Chairman and her husband, and then just utterly destroyed it.

I felt like they were originally going for that also; a ”I will take down this entire company and burn it to the ground, for you have killed my lover and you will rue the day” arc for Hye-soo, and then decided to switch to and end on a ”I will take everything from you and have it for myself as revenge whilst you suffer in silence/death whilst I succumb to my thirst for retribution turning to a thirst for power” arc instead.
But I felt like this switch wasn’t as earnt as it should’ve been, and the more I think about it, the more sudden and out of place I find it. Both can work, but for this story, I think sticking to the former would’ve made more sense and would’ve been easier to resolve.

I think a better ending then, would’ve been something along the lines of the following:

> Hye-soo kills Chairman Kwon at the hand of Lady Kwon. (What happens to Lady Kwon after that I don’t know. Maybe she turns herself in, after the below. Whatever is most necessary for her arc to resolve other than killing the Chairman, that I haven’t thought of yet.)

> Hye-soo steals Haesong from under her husband, but instead of merely ruling in his stead, she tears it to the ground: although opening it to the public and stepping down is AN option, I think I’d prefer full collapse, as we all know most of the shareholders are shady and ex-Team A and implicit in the company’s sins anyway. She exposes everything. She throws Team A under the bus. She doesn’t just dissemble Ares, she pulls the entire rug out from under Haesong and watches it burn; she razes it to the ground.

> And, SHE’s the one that saves Soohyun somehow.
(N.B. this could happen MULTIPLE ways- multiple scenarios here could work to the same effect, some of which don’t even necessarily involve her saving Soohyun outright, not going into all the HOWS right now-)
But the important thing is that she does so because of her line to Secretary Yoon through Sun: ”at least the one you love most is alive.”

Essentially, she saves Soohyun and betrays Team Leader A and Team A, because Soohyun is the one Woosin (and Seohee) loves the most. This would be more in line with her actions to Hyunjo, and her motivations pertaining to Minjo, and would also resolve the arc between her and Woosin thematically (imo.)

> Of course, the entire set up for the finale could be changed so Soohyun is never in danger either of his own stupidity, the script’s stupidity, OR Lee Teamjangnim, who, should he have been following his motivations with more accuracy, should’ve gone after Woosin instead and attempted to make Soohyun watch, which Hye-Soo and Lee Changwoo would’ve then interfered on, thus saving the twins, and ending on a more cathartic note, wherein Lee Changwoo dies fighting Lee, to the horror of the brothers, enabling his death to have more impact than it did in current canon (which I found very disenchanting after so much build up), and resolving his arc thematically with the twins, and the twins with the Adamas.

> But EITHER WAY you do it, I need an angsty reunion scene between both Woosin and Soohyun, and Soohyun and Seohee, which is shot in parallel to the collapse of Haesong, Lee Changwoo and Lee’s deaths, and Adamas sinking to the bottom of the ocean, never to be seen again, and then a final series of shots with everybody Less Sad ™.

> (I don’t particularly care what happens to Sun. I know some people do. I don’t really. Oh ok, rewrite her to have more depth with her sister earlier on and make us like her as much as the writer seems to, to justify their current ending, or kill them both off somehow in whatever way is most satisfying narratively, which I can’t really think of right now, because I don’t really care. Same with the SIH. (Except that Woosin really shouldn’t be so nice to Taesung for killing that innocent guard lmao.))

> Logistically, I don’t know how this all works as it doesn’t answer or solve everything, but it doesn’t really matter as long as the narrative and thematic beats are the same and have the same conclusion: Haesong collapses. Lee Changwoo dies saving the Twins. The Adamas is lost. The Twins and Seohee take a VERY LONG ACTUAL HOLIDAY (maybe a permanent one). (Hye-soo fades from public view and goes back to her flowers somewhere, having avenged her beloved’s death, and leaving viewers to argue about whether this would send a too positive message regarding revenge or not :P)

.
.
.

I kept trying to figure out why they decided to end the show like they did, instead of above.
In my opinion they had more than enough incentive and set up and narrative direction, to justify the above, indeed, the above seemed most likely in a lot of ways.
They also had enough brains behind the writing and directing team imo, to write a version of the above that might not’ve made 100% sense or addressed EVERYTHING, but would’ve made enough sense to feel resolved, and right.

But they just didn’t. I can’t say I think it’s wholly that it β€œlost its way” or β€œdidn’t know where it was going”, because too much of every other week implied otherwise. I do think it lacked some of the β€œhow to get there” in the last quarter particularly (the cracks in which became more obvious after the finale for me), but not enough for this to be the sole problem.

Instead, the most obvious answer to me seems to be that they decided to push for a second season.

But that just leaves me with another β€œwhy”, in place of the first, one that I constantly have for writers everywhere when they decide to keep going, when they should just stop, and one I still don’t have an answer for, besides the material, and one that I am thus in constant frustration over.

Why. Just end your story well there. Better to end it well now, than to never end it at all, or to open up the possibility of ending it badly in another year. Just. Why. You had all the pieces. Why didn’t you use them. What was stopping you. What is your fatal flaw? You seemed to have enough vision at least. Was I just blinded by the pretty all show and you didn’t actually ever have it? Did you get an idea bug that to end on another Adamas twist parallel was better than to end on an episode 1 opening parallel, or, God forbid, you deny your cynicism the light of day and end on a Eucatastrophe i…[Read more]

3
0

Well… ok… I mean… I guESS?!? ¯⁠\⁠_⁠ಠ⁠_⁠ಠ⁠_⁠/⁠¯
we all know what the hand in the pocket means but the real question is how and whyfore

#Adamas Finale

7
2

    Another twin switch? I was not ready for S2. In fact I thought you were overthinking when you mentioned the possibility of S2 -_-

    I do not understand Hye Soo’s motivation at all. She was never shown to be interested in business and all of a sudden she will be the antagonist or “fake” antagonist? A new player in the game? Sigh!

    0
    1

Well if you die because of your own stupidity, I am not sure how much actual sympathy you’ll illicit from me, sir, (more likely just annoyance), but I guess we’ll find out tomorrow. Aiyooooo~

3
2

    Don’t say thatttt. Nooooo.
    😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

    I refuse to believe we for a switch now. Like why!??????? why is he alone. Like why!!??
    There better be a plan.
    Oh noes. It’s not going according to the plan. How did the mole know they switched or that he was in the black site.
    We will find the answers soon. But. But.
    Yeah, no dumb deaths please. Lol.
    I am
    Still hoping HS is a red herring and is actually helping the twins. not too confident though

    1
    0

    😂😂😂 Dead! Not the character, but the story. 🤷‍♀️

    1
    0

The Monkey King has blessed me and completed another section of Melonia Sh☠️tposting Checklist by wearing Pink Sunglasses. Carrot Boy, you’re next.

8
0