Cheese in the Trap casts Nam Joo-hyuk, delays broadcast
It looks like we’ll have to wait two more drama cycles to see webtoon adaptation Cheese in the Trap on the air — tvN originally had the show slated for an October broadcast, but has decided to push the premiere until December (or early January of next year). Lee Dong-wook and Jung Ryeo-won’s Bubblegum will take the timeslot instead, which certainly makes me wonder if all of the casting hullabaloo for Cheese in the Trap’s heroine has put the show at a disadvantage from the start.
The series has confirmed Park Hae-jin (Doctor Stranger) and Kim Go-eun (Memories of the Sword) to headline, and has just added Nam Joo-hyuk (Who Are You—School 2015) as a rival for Kim Go-eun’s affections. He’ll play Kwon Eun-taek, a university hoobae who’s a cute, doting younger man. He’s described as a bit of an oddball, but has a surprisingly dependable and manly side.
I get why they cast him, since he obviously looks the part. I just hope he’s improved his acting by then, because this webtoon seems to have quite the rabid fanbase that’s very protective of the original work. Nam Joo-hyuk is sweet and likable, but he’s also shown a lot of limitations as a leading man; hopefully in a smaller role he’ll be a better fit.
Hey, with Park Hae-jin being the perfect hero, maybe Nam Joo-hyuk can be the sweet puppy on the sidelines and pull a Yook Sung-jae on us. His School 2015 costar Yook Sung-jae has repeatedly expressed his interest in being cast in Cheese in the Trap, though in a different role, thank goodness — I don’t think I could take them fighting over something else.
Cheese in the Trap will air on Mondays and Tuesdays in late December or early January on tvN.
- Cheese in the Trap finally has a heroine in Kim Go-eun
- Suzy bows out of Cheese in the Trap
- Suzy up to headline tvN’s Cheese in the Trap
- Anticipated webtoon adaptation Cheese in the Trap goes to tvN
- Park Hae-jin signs on for webtoon-adapted drama Cheese in the Trap
- Who Are You–School 2015: Episode 1
- Pretty, sentimental posters for School 2015
- Nam Joo-hyuk up for first starring role in School 2015
- Surplus Princess: Series review