Empress Ki writer returns with new series for MBC
Hit drama writer Jang Young-chul of the epics Empress Ki and Giant (also Incarnation of Money and the hilarious History of a Salaryman) is headed back to MBC for his next series, another 50-episode epic called Tyrant. It’ll still deal with history, as is his style, but this one is a contemporary drama that goes back to the IMF crisis in 1997, and follows the characters to the present day.
Jang co-writes with his wife Jung Kyung-soon, who is credited on all his series; she isn’t mentioned in the press releases for this new drama, but I think it’s likely she’ll be onboard as well. Directing is PD Joo Sung-woo of MBC weekend dramas Legendary Witch and Hundred Year Inheritance, which… does not excite me in the least. But I’m pretty sure that the writing was the problem in the makjang-fest that was Hundred Year Inheritance. Or so I hear.
Tyrant will be the story of a man who fights against greed, and experiences every hardship and adversity known to man in order to make something of himself and find love. It’ll begin in 1997 and span twenty years’ time.
I’m sure the MBC execs are happy campers. The writer’s last drama Empress Ki was a 30% ratings hit (numbers like that are a rarity on weeknights nowadays), and this sounds like the kind of series that could be a gripping human drama, a critical success, and a ratings leader. I guess it’s just up to the casting now to seal its fate.
Tyrant is tentatively scheduled to follow Dazzling Temptation on Mondays and Tuesdays beginning in April.
- Empress Ki’s new posters and preview
- Ji Chang-wook for Empress Ki, plus a teaser
- Joo Jin-mo as warrior king in Empress Ki
- Ha Ji-won’s action-filled first shoot for Empress Ki
- Empress Ki casts Ha Ji-won’s rivals
- Empress Ki gathers its cast for script rehearsals
- Ji Chang-wook courted to romance Ha Ji-won in Empress Ki
- Jin Yi-han and Jung Woong-in join sageuk epic Hwatu
- Joo Jin-mo joins Hwatu to romance Ha Ji-won
- Ha Ji-won returns to dramaland