Song Joong-ki gets his face on currency
Ha. The netizens strike again with their parody and Photoshop skills. This time, they’ve taken Song Joong-ki and put him on the manwon bill (the equivalent to $10), a tie-in to his latest drama Tree With Deep Roots, where he plays King Sejong the Great in his youth. (King Sejong is also the actual face on the currency; see below.)
The image first popped up on the drama’s official website in the UCC corner, with punny captions about Song playing young Yi-do (later Sejong). Naturally, you can’t leave out Han Seok-kyu, who will play the adult Sejong for the majority of the drama’s run.
Tree With Deep Roots premiered this week on Wednesday after much pre-show buzz, although its ratings weren’t as high as hoped for (9.5%, on the low side for what producers were hoping would be the next Queen Seon-deok). However, it had to contend with the Princess’s Man finale, so the real test will be to see how it fares in the coming weeks against new show Man of Honor. It’s the battle of high expectations, since both series are produced by teams whose last projects hit national drama status: Tree With Deep Roots is preceded by Queen Seon-deok, and Man of Honor preceded by Baker King Kim Tak-gu.
So, what’ll it be? KBS or SBS? Sageuk or melo? Royalty or baseball? Only time will tell.
The real deal:
The impostors, Song Joong-ki & Han Seok-kyu:
Via TV Report
- Penny-Pinching Romance releases posters
- Tree With Deep Roots’ posters, teasers, stills
- Penny-Pinching Romance sets premiere, releases teaser
- Park Bo-young to romance wolf boy Song Joong-ki
- Song Joong-ki behind the scenes as King Se-jong
- Song Joong-ki cast as a young king in sageuk drama
- Shin Se-kyung, Jang Hyuk in new sageuk
- Queen Seon-deok team reunites on new drama