Yoo Seung-ho’s Ruler–Master of the Mask in talks to air on MBC in spring
I think this drama is still a ways off from finalizing its air date, but there’s a new update on the upcoming sageuk Ruler–Master of the Mask, the drama courting Yoo Seung-ho (Remember–Son’s War) to headline. It’s being considered for a Wednesday-Thursday slot in March on MBC, and though the official stance is that nothing’s been decided, it looks like MBC will be its home, because now PD Sohn Hyung-shik (Shine or Go Crazy, Two Weeks) on staff at MBC is attached to direct.
The new fusion sageuk stars Yoo Seung-ho as a crown prince in 18th-century Joseon, who fights a lonely war against a shadow organization. The powerless prince will go up against a secret group of the wealthy, powerful elite who move the country behind the scenes. When they attempt to take control of the water supply and privatize it, the prince will fight them on behalf of the people.
I haven’t seen many dramas take up plots like this, though Yoo Seung-ho’s last movie Kim Seon-dal was about a con artist who tried to sell a river, and Cha Tae-hyun’s sageuk comedy Gone With the Wind was a funny caper all about stealing ice and giving it back to the people, back when ice was a precious commodity. Those were comedies while this drama’s approach seems serious—the prince is said to become a hero because of love, and his war is described as lonely and righteous. Broody and badass Yoo Seung-ho fighting for his people? I could get used to that.
Ruler–Master of the Mask will begin shooting in December, and is currently being considered for a March broadcast on MBC.
- Yoo Seung-ho courted to become fantasy sageuk prince
- Yoo Seung-ho out, Su Ae in for KBS’s The Man Living in Our House
- Yoo Seung-ho and his image ruination for Kim Seon-dal
- Yoo Seung-ho offered webtoon adaptation The Man Living in Our House
- Yoo Seung-ho swindles his way through caper film Kim Seon-dal
- Remember—Son’s War: Episode 1
- Imaginary Cat: Episode 1
- Oh Snap! Yoo Seung-ho casts his spell
- Yoo Seung-ho leads team of merry swindlers in comedy Kim Seon-dal