Posters for a Sad Dream

The promotional posters for director Kim Ki-duk‘s new film are out featuring stars Lee Na-young and Odagiri Joe.

The title Bi-mong [비몽] draws its meaning from the two characters 悲 (sad, “bi”) and 夢 (dream, “mong”); the subtitle on the poster reads, “A sad love that exists through dreams.”

In the film, she’s a sleepwalking patient, while he’s described as a man who cannot forget a past love and tries to meet her in his dreams. Strangely enough (this is Kim Ki-duk, after all), in her sleepwalking state, she starts acting in the same way as the woman in his dreams.

The movie opens in October.

Via Hankook Ilbo

Tags: ,

who is the guy Jang Dong Gun?! i like the plot

"who is the guy Jang Dong Gun?!"

That's the Johnny Depp of Japan, Odagiri Joe, graduate of Fresno State University!!

Ohhhh! I'm excited to see this movie. I really like Odagiri Joe hes always reliable in his performances. He's an eclectic person and kind of reminds me of a Japanese version of Johnny Depp. (hehehe...belleza beat me to it^^)

"He’s an eclectic person and kind of reminds me of a Japanese version of Johnny Depp."

Mm hmm!! Odagiri (still fondly remembered for his sentai debut) and Na Young are both stunning people who built film careers out of disappearing into interesting, quirky characters. It's really a match in heaven.

Na Young playing a cipher suffused in Odagiri's beautiful sadness. It writes itself.

thanks belleza and jolee...i'll definitely watch this film when i have the chance you guys sold me on "the Johnny Depp of Japan" ^_^

"i’ll definitely watch this film "

Because this is a Kim Ki Duk film, it will probably see a limited release in the States. South Korea hates his stuff, but the West eats it up! ;)

I am excited to see this one. I love KKD's work. I recently saw Breath. It was good. I will watch Time soon.

Odagiri Joe is the Johnny Depp of Japan?? Woah. I gotta look him up. lol

omgahhh joe odagiriii!! & lee na young :)

All I gotta say is : Quirky + Surreal = Awesome! ^_^
Plus it reminds me of that spanish film about a guy falling in love with a girl in his dreams and then finding out his fate when he wakes up to find the girl. (If anyone knows which movie I mean, that'll be great because I totally forgot the name, LOL)

This is definitely a must for me... I've seen only a few of KKD's works, but Joe and LNY cant be missed.

just curious Belleza, y does S Korea hate KKD's stuff?! At least many of his movies r nth like stories we've seen before....

I've fallen for JH in 3 Iron and it was such an interesting movie!

I won't speak for belleza, but Kim Ki-duk is interestingly not popular in S. Korea, or at least not on a level that's on par with his international acclaim. The cynic in me would say that his films are too thoughtful and lyrical to be appreciated in a market glutted with cheesy comedies and action flicks. But really, that's not new; in the Western market, the blockbusters and big-budget, big-name projects get more attention than smaller, more indie releases, too.

"just curious Belleza, y does S Korea hate KKD’s stuff?! "

Both 3 Iron and "Spring Winter . . . " were blasted to hell by South Korean critics; this was actually mentioned in a LA Times Article some years ago, while doing a review of the Korean New Wave. "Pretentious", "boring," etc. KKD often remarks, bemusingly, how the West loves his films more than his own country. I loved both movies though.

This, however, is not unusual between domestic Asian audiences and Western cineastes, and quite a few culture critics have accused the Western muso status quo for merely reinforcing "Orientalization" biases in how they choose praise certain decorous auteurs (Wong Kar Wai) over more agitprop directors (Takashi Miike.) Most Chinese critics find the Western love of wuxia melodramas [Read more]

Wow, no joke, belleza - your comment was epic.

I feel like I've been waiting forever for this film to come out ever since I read the official news, so count me in as one of the excited fans for its release.

On a side note, if America has its Johnny Depp and Odagiri Jo is Japan's, then who's S. Korea's Johnny Depp? Sorry, completely off-topic but I'm curious.

ah icic, thanks for the marvelous explanations, javabeans and belleza!

However, across the board denounced and 'hated' is baffling. I honestly dont see anything too “Orientalizational” in his works that I've seen. If they just didnt do well in the box office, that's totally understandable, but still....

I mean for Wong Ka Wai, he has his haters in HK, but many still revered his works. Wuxia is always best appreciated in prose, nobody has mastered the craft to translate it into this medium, but I think most Chinese literate audiences understand the Western appreciation of just a taste of the 'exotic', if we grew up on it, we prefer our worn novels anytime. (and I'm one of those who scoffed at Crouching Tiger though I think Ang Lee is a genius in many of his works)
Miike works [Read more]

"I honestly dont see anything too “Orientalizational” in his works that I’ve seen. If they just didnt do well in the box office, that’s totally understandable, but still…."

Orientalization in the sense that if a film has lots of opulent, "Eastern exotic" signifiers (i.e. see Zhang Yimou's pageant films or Wong Kar Wai's In the Mood for Love) or if it makes vaguely mysterical allusions or if the Asian actresses are made "real pretty" for the (mostly white male) critics, the film is treated as uniquely "art" or "deep." But, okay, have Wong Kar Wai actually do a kind of true American film, and same critics blast him for self-indulgent, vapid "poetifications" using actors and non-actors as pretty, pitiful Objects for yet another narcissistic/quaint exercise in "all memories are tra [Read more]

"I think, like Kubrick, most of his works generate mediocre-to-even hostile reviews in HK. And, then, they’re re-evaluated as classics."

I think recently WKW has been more prone to hostile reviews from the HK public, especially because of high expectations due to high production value and top notch casting (thank you, Tony Leung & Maggie Cheung). Though, I think through a more Westernized view, are his productions evaluated as classics. A Western audience is more likely to say In the Mood for Love or Chungking Express is a classic Chinese movie than a HK audience. While I do believe there are HK viewers who appreciate his works, its extent is similar to American audiences with indie films. HK audiences perhaps admire the actors or the cinematography more than the actual sto [Read more]

I'm very excited to see this film. Thanks for the info and poster pic!

sounds interesting...I really liked 3-Iron, so I definitely wanna watch this. Also, Joe Odagiri is cute:)

One of the most anticipated films for us this year.

Joe is absolutely the Johnny Depp of Japan. He actually may be even cooler than Johnny. Cho Seung Woo is my Korean Johnny Depp,
Lee Na Young is how an actress should be. Not only beautiful but completely intriguing.

"I think, like Kubrick, most of his works generate mediocre-to-even hostile reviews in HK. And, then, they’re re-evaluated as classics. 2046 was probably the most notable exception, since a long parade of rumour, expectation and circumstance did precede its debut(s) The cool thing about WKW is that most people pretend to admire In the Mood for Love most, but there’s a great *personal* passion for his pretty much all of his other work. And usually it’s that one or two movies which you really connect with, and say that’s *my* WKW movie. Favorite individual moments and all that. On a meta-continental-idol level, Kimura Takuya romancing Faye Wong — misfits, robots, lovers as a stalemate across another writer’s unresolved millenniums — was pure *squee* for me! Perfect perfect perf [Read more]

"So sort of back to topic, again what did the S. Korean critics say of DWar~ compared to their disdain for Mr KKD?!? lol"

Oh, South Korea and the States agree on D-War. It's extremely not good.
Actually I think D-War is the equivalent of Creed or full-bore mullets. And it probably led to mad cow disease too. ;)

D-War was so bad it was good.

Love the discourse here about films.

I love Chung King Express. I love how Tony talks to the soap about wasting away. I've always wondered if that part was improvised. In the mood for love was visually stunning and had great acting but the pace can make you want to drive nails through your eyes. I have rewatched it and though it is still slow going as the first time I saw it in the movie theater I had an opportunity to observe how gorgeous the movie is.

I enjoyed 3 iron as well and films like this as well as films like sympathy for lady vengeance makes me so excited to see these types of movies coming out of Korea. Not surprised if broad korean audience can't appreciate. These are not mass oriented films.

My personal favorite Johnny Depp film has to be Ed Wood. The acting is un [Read more]

Another yay for Chungking Express! That awesome scene with the dishsoap is what came to my mind whenever my high-school English teacher would start ranting about anthropomorphism in class.

Oh dear, I googled Odagiri's Sad dreams and this popped up...

Gosh, how could he be sooooo hot?