God’s Gift remake to air on ABC next summer
We’ve seen a slew of K-drama titles get sent to Hollywood for the remake treatment in recent years (see: You From Another Star, Nine, and Good Doctor, among others), but we’ll finally see one actually hit airwaves with ABC’s remake of dark mystery-thriller God’s Gift — 14 Days announced for a summer broadcast next year.
We’d previously heard that this remake series was in the works, and now it’s been reported that the new show will be named Somewhere Between and run for ten episodes. The drama was ordered straight to series (rather than going through the traditional pilot and upfront season that most shows undergo to land on the fall schedule); it’s part of ABC’s strategy to debut programming in the usually empty summer season, when most shows are on hiatus.
It’s an interesting tactic, but probably appropriate for this story, which unfolds over 14 days in a race against time when a desperate mother (played by Lee Bo-young in the original) who’s lived through her daughter’s murder gets a second chance to come back in time to save her. The original was heart-pounding and thrilling, with brilliant acting by Lee and co-star Jo Seung-woo, and I loved everything about it except for that goddamned ending. Maybe they’ll get it right this time?
Somewhere Between hasn’t been cast yet, but has secured a writer/EP (Stephen Tolkin, Brothers & Sisters) and executive producers Ivan Fecan and Joseph Broido. Summertime will also see Grandpas Over Flowers’ remake series, titled Better Late Than Never, return for a Season 2; it airs on NBC and stars Henry Winkler, William Shatner, Terry Bradshaw, George Foreman, and Jeff Dye.
- CBS developing American remake of Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho
- God’s Gift PD returns with new drama for SBS
- God’s Gift – 14 Days gets the Hollywood remake treatment
- Kolorful Palette: A mother’s determination [God’s Gift – 14 Days]
- God’s Gift – 14 Days: Episode 1
- Suspense and suspicion abound in God’s Gift teasers
- Cameras roll on time-slip thriller God’s Gift–14 Days
- You From Another Star gets a U.S. remake on ABC
- CBS to license Good Doctor for American remake
- Nine remake pilot in the works, aiming at U.S. broadcast