Rating:
Average user rating 4.4

First script read for Hong sisters’ horror rom-com Master’s Sun

Production is underway for the new Hong sisters horor romantic comedy Master’s Sun, starring Gong Hyo-jin and So Ji-sub, set to premiere later this month. It’s following I Hear Your Voice in SBS’s Wednesday-Thursday slot, which means we’re going straight from mind-reading hero to ghost-seeing heroine. Hm, I could get used to Superpower Wednesdays. Character descriptions accompanied the script read, and as expected the Hong sisters didn’t scrimp on the puntastic titles and character names, as is their custom.

So Ji-sub plays the rich I-see-everything-as-money hero Joo Joong-won (joong-won means “ruling position” or “supremacy”), and Gong Hyo-jin plays the I-see-dead-people heroine Tae Gong-shil (tae is “form/figure” and gong-shil is “empty room,” so literally “form in empty room” as in the creepy ghosts she sees). That also makes the pun version of the title Mr. Joo’s Ms. Tae, which, PFFFFFT. What can I say? The Hong sisters never met a pun they didn’t like.

The heroine suddenly develops the ability to see ghosts after an accident, and it freaks her out so much that she can’t sleep at night. She works as a secretary for the hero, a haughty executive of a shopping mall kingdom (Oh the product placement to come. Anthony would LOVE this.) and the drama promises a mix of chilling horror, sweet romance, and laugh-out-loud comedy. Yes please. I’m begging you — bring back the funny.

Co-starring is Seo In-gook (Answer Me 1997) as an ex-soldier and head of security (I’m thinking chaebol executive private security, not yunno, mall cop… though come to think of it, that’d be funnier). Kim Yuri (Alice in Cheongdam-dong) plays a top star, and since her character’s last name is Tae, she must be related to the heroine. I hope the love square isn’t between sisters. Man, that would suck. And Jung Ga-eun (A Thousand Kisses) plays a meddlesome busybody who brings the laughs.

I’m looking forward to So Ji-sub for the first time ever, mostly because his conceited and self-involved character actually sounds like the perfect thing to mesh his star persona with to make for side-splitting comedy. I hope that’s what they’re going for, because I can actually see myself liking him if he can make fun of himself. And Gong Hyo-jin is love love love. With PD Jin Hyuk of City Hunter and Prosecutor Princess at the helm, all around it’s got great ingredients for a fantastic drama. Not that we haven’t been burned by that before, but let’s just hope this drama’s got enough magic to make up for old wounds.

Master’s Sun follows I Hear Your Voice and premieres July 31 on SBS.

Via TV Report

Tags: , , , ,

Looking forward!

super interested!

PLEASE BE GOOD :)

Me too! What is this Big everyone is talking about? Never heard of it. *denial is strong with this one*

I guess "denial" is not just a river in Egypt for you, in this case :-)... (if it is that strong :-) )

I don't understand why everyone HATED/DISLIKED Big :(

It was a car wreck compared to their previous works... but there have been worse dramas. Not every drama is going to be PERFECTION~

@Paper

Personally I didn't hate it. I think people didn't understand the ending and they were expecting something different from what it was. If they backed up and hadn't thought it was the Hong Sisters, and understood that theming was the most important element to the entire thing, it's not a bad drama. It's actually fairly good. I thought it was a very well-thought out exploration of the theme.

If you want the more technical explanation of what people (and specifically the drama bean bloggers) disliked the drama, I can break it this way:

The Hong Sisters are known for big and gloriously funny. They do the amusement ride park, usually the ones where you fall and scream so loud and you don't know what's happening.

However, as a pay off to this (or the down side), it means that [Read more]

@KimYoonmi

Thanks for the perspective you bring! I really liked Big right up until the ending, so I enjoyed reading your take on it. The only thing that bugged me was that they used Gong Yoo at the end, but I would love to get another perspective that could maybe help change my mind or at least help me understand it a bit more :) If you've got time and see this, could you respond?

Thanks!

"Big" was pretty much total dreck like a bunch of other romcoms (including a couple that got big ratings).

Story lines/sub plots that didn't make any sense, cliché filled scenes, stereotypical characters, etc.

Pretty much not much there to redeem the mess that it was.

The reason many people did not like Big:

It boils down to the ending. The characters were likable or at least entertaining. Most of the show was enjoyable. People invested in this show, and they felt the ending was lacking. 1-Dangling plot bunnies such as the supernatural aspect and the most glaring being there was no real closure with the Seo Yoon-jae character with either Gil Dal-ran as a fiance or with Kang Kyung-joon as a biological brother.

2-Dal-ran fell in love with Kyung-joon the person, a much younger man in age but whom she connected with emotionally and mentally, trapped in Yoon-jae's body. Some people thought the ending was vague enough to wonder if the brothers did not switch back, or that the story really ended with Dal-ran and Kyung-joon in Yoon-Jae's body when [Read more]

can't wait for this rom com to watch !!!
So Ji Sub & Gong Hyo-jin never imagine they can be a couple at romance drama :)

PFFFFT indeed! I love me some puns! :D

Is that So Ji-sub with the black hat and beard? He looks so different!!!

D:
Was I one of the few creepers who noticed him upon first glance?
I have waaaay too many male family members~ I should utilise my talent... do they have beard lineups? XD

but still good looking right ^^

I'm confused , who is wearing that beard and hat?

So Ji Sub. Really. Guess he's covering up the pretty before the drama starts. Last chance to let himself go for a while.

For me actually, he looks way hotter now that he's all dirty and rugged. That's how he should always look like from now on.

holy i didn't even know that was him!!

I'm trying not to get TOO excited for this because I can't erase the last Hong Sisters drama from memory yet. But if this one is back on form, I'll truly forgive and forget.

SO EXCITED for this show.....Love Hong sisters (Big never happened) and Love Gong Hyo Jin.....can't wait!!!!

LOL, I love your denial snow_white...

LOL :D

yeahhhh!!! an already awesome drama will be followed by a possibly as good drama. this is perfect.. i forsee after this some kind of show similar to arang and magistrate..(that's my hope)..^.^...last year..around the end of the summer that drama rocked!!

Aww, that would be awesome! I loved Arang and the Magistrate, so seeing something along those lines would be really great.

Awwww yezzzzzzzz. Exciting. And lol, So Ji Sub is looking a lot like Joe Odagiri in these pictures, omg.

Right??? I thought the same thing!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw it! Definitely had to do a double take, LOL

OH GODS YES!
Joe Odagiri is one of the few men who I appreciate with facial hair *__*

He's really awesome and scruffy just suits him. I actually like the look on So Ji Sub too from the pics above. Not half bad.

I have enjoyed most Hong Sisters dramas (have conveniently erased Big from my memory) and I love GHJ so here's to sincerely hoping the drama lives up to expectations - or at least please don't don't crash and burn!

Wondering if they will manage to work in a cameo for Gong Yoo or Lee Min Jung as per their standard practice for all their dramas (my fave of which was how they worked LSG into Best Love and make mention of his refrigerator CF!). If so super looking forward to that! Love both of them and thought they were wasted in that drama that shall not be named.

So Ji Sub does scruffy like no other... he looks hawt... but he might clean up since his role is kinda executive...

And liking Gong Hyo Jin hair color...

Fluffy reason aside, this seems interesting!

Oh gosh this sounds hilarious already. Can't wait! SBS seems to have a really good line-up. First I Hear Your Voice, then this!

I really can't wait to see what So Ji Sub has to offer to the comedy genre.

Hope this will help me get over my Big disappointment. (see what I did there? Haha.)

Looking forward to this drama. I like the the premise as it can lead to all kinds of funny situations. Romance and humor is always a good mix in my book.

will be watching this because of Seo Inguk and So Jisub.

and, SUPERPOWER WEDNESDAYS..! haha, that's interesting ! :D

Yay for Superpower Wednesdays! Nothing like having another great drama to fill the void after you lose an awesome one.

Definitely looking forward to more Hong Sisters and Gong Hyo Jin. I actually enjoyed Big, right up until that cop out of an ending...well we won't talk about that...and while I'm one of the few who didn't love Greatest Love, I really enjoyed GHJ in it. So while I can't say I want to see the end of IHYV, if this is good, it just might help me cope with the loss. So please, please be good!

I always get excited over a Hong Sisters drama, it doesn't matter if Big kinda sucked... Greatest Love didn't rock my world too much ether (I still enjoyed it a lot) but I still get excited every time they come out with new stuff.

I loved Gong Hyo Jin in Greatest Love and I am excited to see her back in a Hong Sisters drama. I have know who So Ji Sub is for years but never actually wanted to watch his stuff because it all seems like some angsty melodramas so I am super excited for this. I am so hoping that he is just going to let loose and make a huge fool of himself or something.

also, I want Shin Min Ah to make a cameo if anyone of Hong Sisters previous characters/actors make any kind of cameos.

Yes, cameos would be awesome :)

I'm hoping that the second female will be layered and that she will not be some one-dimensional snob (as has been the case with other female characters in the Hong sisters' dramas).

The only Hong Sisters second lead I've ever enjoyed watching was Uee in You're Beautiful, because that character was awful but HILARIOUS.

Yes, a cameo from Shin Min Ah. I'm thinking maybe as one of the ghosts? That would be so meta [Arang]

Try watch "Ghost". I like it. it's pretty good. and he's hot in it. :D

Oh, Anthony, I miss him...

Looking forward to this drama and hope SJS can create as unforgettable character as was CSW's Dokko Jin.

Ehm, and can somebody explain me the pun? I'm somehow missing it... especially the "sun"....

I'm guessing the Korean title is either 주인의 태양 (juin-ui taeyang) 주인공의 태양 (juingong-ui taeyang), but I guess the latter since 주인공 is translated nowadays as "lead actor" (sorry for that I just searched the title so disregard everything in the strikeout) 주군의 태양 (jugun-ui taeyang), and GF is right, title IS full of puns.

Explanation:
Before the advent of the generic (ssi) in modern speak, there were more ancient terms to call people back then.
-For males: there were 서방 (seobang), used variously as a term for "husband", "Mister", and also a term for a senior male servant; and 선생 (seonsaeng), used in the early 20th century as a term for "M [Read more]

Wow, thanks for the very detailed crash course, Rovi!

I suspect I'll need a lot of explanation throughout the series - but yes, it looks hilarious! Am really looking forward to it! :)

Haha, thanks, just what I know (which is only the tip of the iceberg).

Personally, some of the terms come form years of watching sageuk, and especially the archaic female terms (daek and ne) are the result of watching the SBS's 2004 version of "The Land", which is now replayed in Arirang.

I have real difficulty in trying to word those two in understandable terms.

Ne is easy to understand since the females (specifically mothers) in "The Land" are named after their eldest offspring (Pan-sul-ne, Seok-i-ne, Im-i-ne, Mak-ddal-ne, etc), and can be translated as "X's mother". Or also, "X's household"...I dunno.

Daek is the hardest and most difficult, in that it translates to "house"; meaning a "household" (i.e. Choi Cha [Read more]

Yes, miss Anthony here too.

As for this drama, I am looking forward to it. Have always loved GYJ and she can do no wrong (knock on wood!). And this would be my first SJS drama so I don't know what to expect of him. Looks like he will be an interesting venture :-) And just pray this won't turn out to be another highly hyped/anticipated "Big"!

Excuse me...

...but what is this "Big" you're talking about? What is it all about?

(XD)

My wednesday never be the same again. Let's vote for So Ji Sub clean face and shower scene for SJS and Inguk...

kthxbye

I didn't want to get too excited, but what can I say? I'm super excited. Ahhhhhhhhh. Please be good, Show. Please.

Perfect cast, good premise and this drama follows a ratings killer. If the script is good, potentially a hit for this summer. (For me at least.)

Not going to get my hopes up too high ( i mean, after all, we've all been burned by Big) but hong sisters have alot of works under their belt that i really loved -- i mean, alot.
So i'll try to dial down my expectations but i'll still be tuning in.

I liked Big. I will love this.

Can't wait to see SJS in a lighter role. I fell in love with him before he got typecasted into all of these angsty roles [yeah, Glass Shoes is a melo and so angsty, but he's so adorable there]. I'm not crazy about GHJ, but I'm hoping to like her here. The premise sounds interesting. Fingers crossed Hong Sisters won't disappoint this time around.

So ji sub is clean shaven for the role. I saw a photo of him recently that was him on set - can't remember where I saw it but somewhere. Of course it makes sense given his role in the drama. I must say that I have never really liked his characters but this one could be the one. He looks good.

I like the Ghj sjs pairing so I hope it sparks on screen too.

I am so excited for this show. I hope it does it does not disappoint.

I flove Gong Hyo-jin so I'm definitely interested in this one.

Who's playing the ghost?

the only thing i'm hesitant about is whether so ji sub's character ends up being a reworking of dokko jin and then we get best love mark 2. i only actually fell in love with that show halfway through and i never saw big bc i heard about the ending, lol, so waiting with bated breath here for the hong sisters to regain their mojo. we're all rooting for you etc

I still need to recover from the trainwreck that was 'Big'...
As for me, I'll skip this one.

I'm approaching this sideways with caution because this past year in dramas has scarred me, it's just been so meh and I'm cranky about it.

Reasons to Watch:

Paranormal aspect
Hong Sisters
Gong Hyo-jin
Seo In-gook

Reasons Not to Watch:

So Ji-sub

Hong Sisters -yes they are a pro and a con. While I enjoy the funny in their work and I have liked all of their female lead characters except Go Mi-nyu, I have never really absolutely loved one of their shows.

PD is a toss up-City Hunter was crack, but Prosecutor Princess-I really disliked that show all around.

I will check it out and hope for magic.

So Ji Sub, YAY!! PD of City Hunter, YAY!!!
Hong Sisters, Yay!!! Paranormal aspect, YAY!!!
Gong Hyo Jin.... I never really got sucked into any of her works, sad to say =( Yes, haters will hate me for saying that =( But it's just my opinion =)

Please be good please be good please be good!

Will be waiting for recaps and see whether it's worth the time or not. I don't really get the Hong sisters' popularity... even though their earlier works like Choon Hyung, My Girl and Fantasy Couple are some of my favourites... hmm.

So Ji Sub with the beard, can't wait to see his character.

Hope so ji sub keeps the beard.

Totally unrelated, but girlfriday mentioned "Anthony" while talking about product placement. Who's Anthony, and why would he love this? I don't even know why this piques my interest...

King of Drama's main protagonist. A drama producer, and happens to dig product placement.

You have to watch King of Drama. such underrated drama. so funny. You're gonna love Anthony.

Buahah -- king of dramas wasn't groundbreaking or anything but it sure did produce an iconic figure in k-dramaland. Not just in the story(cause he was iconic there) but in the real world much of the stuff happening behind the scenes are viewed through the same lens as anthony.

I am really interested in this drama after hearing more about the story.
I am excited that they seem to be going for the comedy angle because I think that will work a hell of a lot better for this premise then a melo take on the ghost story idea.

I think it could end up being really fun!
Can't wait!

i'm excited.. everything looks promising. but hoping this won't be like GFB. Hong sisters are pretty good, except of course, I don't like 'Big'. since Big was their recent disaster, hopefully we can only get uphill from now.

first time i saw jisub with a tache and beard. Is there no frontal shot of him?

I hope So Ji Sub gets to wear that facial hair in the show.

This is the first time I actually find SJS attractive. I am loving the facial hair.

My last Hong sisters' drama was "Greatest Love" and indeed was it awesome. So, I'm looking forward to this as Gong Hyo Jin is one of my favorite actress and who doesn't love So Ji Sub? Can't wait. XD

Heh, I loved the King of Dramas reference

So looking forward to this! SJS doing something happy... I've wished for that for a long time. Really hope he smiles a lot in this. And GHJ - have been a diehard fan of hers since Thank You. So this combination, I have never expected it or even considered it (so kudos to whoever thought to cast them), but now I'm really hoping there will be mindblowing chemistry.

me too, i wanna see him in comedy. I only like GHJ in pasta, I don't like Greatest Love n Thank You

Everytime I see a product placement in a drama I always think of Anthony too :D
And totally looking forward to this drama, I can't wait to see how SJS will do in rom-com :)

Another " I SEE DEAD PEOPLE" crap. I'll pass

Ohh that girl Jung Ga Eun really looks like Song Hye Gyo in the pic ..... for awhile i thought she was SHG but why would she be in the this drama lol.

Mention of Anthony always makes me smile... I'm looking forward if only to a funny drama since not many laugh out loud dramas are out right now. I miss them.

Hong Sister + Gong Hyo Jin + PD Jin Hyuk!
I'm IN!! *jumping*

looking forward to this! i think i'll watch :D

SO JI SUB, i need nothing more... but they give me more: Hong Sis and GHJ!!! can't wait