Shim Eun-kyung courted for Waiting For You
Box-office draw Shim Eun-kyung (Miss Granny, Sunny) is being wooed for the gritty film Waiting For You, about a serial killer who is caught and thrown in the slammer — but justice hasn’t been served, according to the family of the deceased. She’s considering the offer of the central character, who is seven when she loses her father to the murderer, and who waits until he gets released from prison 15 years later to make her move.
The revenge-thirsty part would be a radical departure from her previous bright and cheerful roles, and Shim Eun-kyung is said to be interested in Waiting For You because of the exciting script. As the youngest actress to be dubbed ‘box office queen,’ the young starlet is under immense pressure, but she seems to handle her projects with maturity and ease, and I’m sure she’d inhabit this character with equal aplomb. At 19 (going on 20), she’s already been acting for a decade and has built an impressive resume — I hope she takes this job, as it sounds like it would add a layer of depth to her previous body of work.
Waiting For You will be directed by newbie Mo Hong-jin (a co-writer on Our Town), and once casting is complete, cameras are expected to start rolling in August.
- Nodame Cantabile is a go: Joo-won in, Shim Eun-kyung a maybe
- Ryu Seung-ryong headlines disaster movie Seoul Station
- Shim Eun-kyung’s grandma body-swap comedy Suspicious Girl
- Shim Eun-kyung returns to the big screen in body-swap comedy
- Sunny breaks 2 million tickets in two weeks
- Girls rule the school in Sunny
- My Name Is: Shim Eun-kyung
Tags: Shim Eun-kyung