Im Joo-hwan up to rival Kim Woo-bin in Lightly, Ardently
Im Joo-hwan (Oh My Ghostess) may have tapped into his darker side in his last drama, but he’s looking to return to his nicer boy-next-door side for his (potential) next project, KBS’s Lightly, Ardently, alongside previously cast Kim Woo-bin (Heirs) and Suzy (Gu Family Book). Current reports are that he received the offer and is positively considering it, with all the usual caveats.
It looks like Lightly, Ardently is all about opposites and contrasts, starting with the title, which is meant to be contradictory. Then you have Kim Woo-bin playing a “super-lofty” Hallyu megastar, while Suzy is a “super-low” and obsequious documentary PD. They were separated in a heartbreaking fashion as children, then meet again as adults, starting out at odds with each other and then developing into an ardent love.
Im Joo-hwan would play Kim Woo-bin’s rival, a corporate director of planning who is so perfect—he’s got the looks, brains, personality, sense, and family background—that he seems like “God’s masterpiece.” Um, not to oversell it or anything. He’ll be a gentle, sweet, warm character who ought to provide a sharp contrast to the hero’s hauteur.
The drama comes from writer Lee Kyung-hee, who’s a practiced hand at romance melodramas (I’m Sorry, I Love You; A Love to Kill). I’d call her recent dramas more along the lines of light melodrama, though, in that they incorporate emotional angst and tears without being overly intense or heavy, which, between you and me, is how I prefer it (see: Thank You, Will It Snow For Christmas, Nice Guy). Just to give you a sense of what we might expect.
Lightly, Ardently intends to be half-pre-produced and will air in the first half of 2016.
Via TV Report
- Kim Woo-bin and Suzy’s new drama Lightly, Ardently heads to KBS
- Kim Woo-bin and Suzy couple up in Lee Kyung-hee romance drama
- Im Joo-hwan, Lee Sung-kyung join legal thriller Broker
- Oh My Ghostess: Episode 1
- Occult rom-com Ghostess adds a cop and a PD
- Shine or Go Crazy’s royal love triangle
- First script read for MBC’s fantasy historical drama Shine or Go Crazy
- Im Joo-hwan, Kang So-ra’s Watch Out For Fools
- Im Joo-hwan released from military service